PDA

View Full Version : Does your "trail horse" have another "job"?

Horsecrazy27
Jan. 24, 2008, 11:23 PM
Is your horse a trail horse only or does it have a second job, like jumping or dressage or cutting etc.

tsugasouc
Jan. 25, 2008, 10:30 AM
carriage driving
riding and driving lessons
my kids babysitter(riding and driving)

LookinSouth
Jan. 25, 2008, 10:42 AM
My "trail horse" is also an awesome dressage horse, a great foxhunter and a competitive LL eventer. :D

chicamuxen1
Jan. 25, 2008, 10:51 AM
Can you count blanket eater as a second career? How about hole digger? He's very accomplished at both activities.

chicamuxen

nmazteca
Jan. 25, 2008, 11:18 AM
I believe it's good for us and them to have different things to do. My boys seem to like changing it up.

jazzrider
Jan. 25, 2008, 01:14 PM
Jazz, my QH rides trail and dressage.

I'm trying to figure out what else I can do with my new TWH aside from trail riding...:confused:

daisyduke
Jan. 25, 2008, 03:21 PM
My gelding does a few local dressage shows a year. He adjusts well going from being hi-lined to being stalled.

BEARCAT
Jan. 25, 2008, 03:26 PM
Jumping, Dressage, Cross Country, a couple of Foxhunts, along with CTRs

CoopsZippo
Jan. 25, 2008, 03:45 PM
We also compete in SCA games.

SpottedTApps
Jan. 25, 2008, 05:53 PM
All of my trail horses have another purpose in life. Trail riding is their secondary career, yet they excel as masters at it.

Cutting, reining, working cow horse, barrel racing, pole bending, lesson horses.

Horsecrazy27
Jan. 25, 2008, 10:00 PM
I have 7,

One is a trail horse, pack horse and baby teacher. :)

The others are all dressage and trail. The last 3 years, trail has won, since we haven't had the proper arenas (footing--ick!!) SO, they will be back to work shortly!

Ponyclubrocks
Jan. 26, 2008, 12:42 AM
Foxhunting!:D:D:D

rmaryman
Jan. 26, 2008, 10:36 AM
My trusty steed does limited low-level eventing, and low-level jumpers, is a summer-camp horse for 8 weeks, and has hill-top foxhunted. We also like to do the occasional Hunter Pace event.

Rick in VA

GB Trail Rider
Jan. 26, 2008, 12:38 PM
My horse's other 'job' is as a Civil War Reenactor-Federal Cavalry horse.

Jennifer Alcott
Jan. 26, 2008, 04:32 PM
Show ring trail
Western pleasure
Hunter pleasure
Dressage (just training level, except for one first level test 1)
Western horsemanship
Foxhunting
Team penning
Ranch/Stock horse competition
Extreme Cowboy Race
Beginner's mount for my nieces and other assorted family members and friends

Auventera Two
Jan. 26, 2008, 05:11 PM
One of mine is a certified Search and Rescue horse. She also did Roy Rogers tribute shows, was even in the Excalibur in Vegas. The other ones - pretty much nothing but trails. :cool:

Huntertwo
Jan. 26, 2008, 10:28 PM
I'm trying to do a little WP mixed in with trail riding. Hopefully, I can have enough money to send her to a professional trainer this spring/summer.

Although a good trail horse is priceless and can basically sell itself on its own credentials, I believe a back up discipline would help the horse be more sellable(sp) if the need should arise.

onlyleftsocks
Jan. 26, 2008, 11:15 PM
every single one of my showjumpers go out on the trail. mine also can all be riddden western, all can be hobbled, all can work a cow- some better then others. we spend a good chunk of the year showing, but the horses all get to stretch out on the trail. xtraining is essential for a healthy happy athlete.

War Admiral
Jan. 27, 2008, 09:42 AM
Retired jumper, now doing carriage driving (albeit retired from competition in that discipline as well).

scrtwh
Jan. 27, 2008, 12:33 PM
my TWH mare shows versatility in dressage, 3-gait trail pleasure english classes, water glass classes, and we have started over fences

My ASB is a retired 3-gaited SS horse.

I <3 Shades-A-Blue
Jan. 27, 2008, 01:39 PM
my show horse does some trails like i think every other tuesday(after we show the weekend before) and he likes it, so it is like a hobby for him.

Dressage Art
Jan. 27, 2008, 03:57 PM
My trail horse is my dressage 2/3 level horse :D

yellow-horse
Jan. 28, 2008, 03:40 PM
the dear departed yellowhorse, did over the course of her long life, endurance, dressage, eventing, hunters, team penning, hunting and low jumpers
the things she was best at were endurance and hunting, she loved to jump cross country, dressage not so much

CanterQueen
Jan. 28, 2008, 06:00 PM
Mounted search and rescue -- but don't tell my gelding. He thinks it's just more trail riding.

saddleup
Jan. 28, 2008, 08:54 PM
Just bought a new trail horse. Before his new life he was a ranch horse, they roped off him and did reined cow horse events on him. So I guess he was a trail horse with a purpose, as opposed to a trail horse to go sight-seeing with me.

Rt66Kix
Jan. 28, 2008, 09:54 PM
Buddy is a great foxhunter. Has allowed me to get out in the field and realize a dream. He's just as calm and laid back in the field as on the trail. He's my Solid Gold Buddy, and worth a Million Dollars.

I think cross training can't be valued enough.

Horsecrazy27
Jan. 29, 2008, 10:53 AM
Mounted search and rescue -- but don't tell my gelding. He thinks it's just more trail riding.

How do you get involved with this kind of thing? Sounds very rewarding!

CanterQueen
Jan. 29, 2008, 11:32 AM
How do you get involved with this kind of thing? Sounds very rewarding!

Well, I just stumbled into it. A friend of a friend decided to start a new group in Virginia. They had their first set of training lessons last year and now I'm hooked. It's hard work; you need your own trusty mount, and a way to get to the locations (like your own truck and trailer). So, it's not a cheap endeavor, but a very rewarding one.

If you really are interested, Google Mounted Search and Rescue for your area (I'm not sure where you live). There are MANY wonderful MSAR groups out there. We turned to a Colorado group for some guidance.

Here's a good place to start IMHO: http://www.ibiblio.org/msar/units/index.html

Good luck!!

cuatx55
Feb. 4, 2008, 04:32 PM
my dressage horse (arabian) is also my trail horse.

75% dressage, 25% trail

matryoshka
Feb. 5, 2008, 10:14 AM
What else is there besides trail? ;)

Jazzrider, I hear there is a push for doing dressage with gaited horses. You might want to look into it.

jazzrider
Feb. 5, 2008, 10:57 AM
What else is there besides trail? ;)

Jazzrider, I hear there is a push for doing dressage with gaited horses. You might want to look into it.

Yes, I've been reading about it. I've been playing a bit with him, but I'm a little flummoxed as to how "collection" translates to a TWH with a big old bobble head that needs to move freely (and he really does). Clearly, there is a very big difference between the movement of a horse in regular dressage and gaited dressage. But he's responsive, and its a lot of fun for us to figure things out together.

I wish I could find a natural gaited trainer in my area that could come to my place. :sigh: I'm pretty sure he's going to be a versatile horse. I just need a little guidance.

scrtwh
Feb. 5, 2008, 05:46 PM
I wish I could find a natural gaited trainer in my area that could come to my place. :sigh: I'm pretty sure he's going to be a versatile horse. I just need a little guidance.

start here:

Margaret J Hershberger *V
6311 Hickory Road
Petersburg, VA 23803
Home: 804-590-2831

She is certified for rockies, but I bet she can get you started down the right path and give you some leads.

http://www.nwha.com/main.html

The TWH is naturally collected if they are gaiting properly. When they bring thier hind under them to push off and get that coveted overstride, thier back rounds up and then flexes down as they push. You can always tell a WH that is being worked properly by thier well-developed toplines and bubble butts.

I do versatility with my mare. We showed in training level last year and this year we have started schooling 1rst and popping over cross rails. A new development for the versatility program are the three event shows at Devon for gaited horses. A HUGE break through and alot of state dressage associations have begun to include classes for "non-traditional" breeds. These horses can do alot more beside go around the ring in a big circle.

I take lessons with a regular dressage/event trainer who has started a few gaited horses. She was a brave soul in trying something new. It's working well, she is learning about the breed, and my mare and I are learning a ton.

She can't keep her hands off my mare. :lol: who can blame her. Such a wonderful breed, such a wonderful mare.

I'll get some pics to post of Candy. She is the horsey love of my life, not that I don't love them all, but ... if your lucky a once in a lifetime horse comes along.

matryoshka
Feb. 6, 2008, 12:23 AM
Keep us posted on what you find out about TWH's and dressage!

amdfarm
Feb. 6, 2008, 02:47 AM
My OTQH gelding is a trail horse deluxe, but we also do games, a few parades, outriding for our driving club if I'm not driving that day, ponying the pony or a youngster, and ride around town every now and then for something different.
When he's not humoring me, his other job is babysitter and teacher to the youngsters he's pastured w/. He's very good at this and seems to enjoy it.

Equine Obsession
Feb. 6, 2008, 02:53 AM
Well he's a fantastic trail-horse. Overnight, up mountains, in oceans, through rivers, you name it.

Used to pony at the track. He was fantastic at that. I still use him to pony the OTTB we're working with here at home.

Hoping to get into a little LL eventing with him, but he's not incredibly happy with arena work so I doubt he'll remain my horse for that.

Packer for the kids...always. :)

Dalriada
Feb. 6, 2008, 03:33 PM
Most of mine have been show horses before or during their careers as distance horses. Only one did distance before she became a show horse (under duress).

I find that showring work makes them responsive to subtle commands that can really make the difference on the trail. Going down the trail keeps them fit, fresh and alert in the showring.

We don't have horses that exclusively do one discipline over the other - cross training is so valuable.

jazzrider
Feb. 6, 2008, 10:04 PM
Keep us posted on what you find out about TWH's and dressage!

I'll do some investigating. But in my area, well, TWH's aren't that common and TWH's in dressage would be... lets just say they wouldn't be enthusiastically welcomed.

Thanks for the info scrtwh. Petersburg is way too far for us though. I would love to do as much with my guy as possible. So I'm intrigued, and I'll be doing some research. :yes:

HiddenStars826
Feb. 7, 2008, 12:36 AM
When I got him, I retired him from being a schoolie, and he had done dressage for the majority of his life, so I started doing WP to change it up and get him more interested in stuff. For the past two years, he's pretty much just been a trail horse though. Occasionally I'll jump on him in the ring to try to figure out some dressage stuff (he was doing 3rd level), but other than that his job is just to have fun with me on the trails. He loves it out there, its given him a "new lease on life" basically- he was pretty soured of the ring and riding before, and I couldn't blame him. He's turned into an awesome trail horse, and doesn't think of it as his job, which seems to make it better!

BoomerButt
Feb. 8, 2008, 01:49 PM
Is your horse a trail horse only or does it have a second job, like jumping or dressage or cutting etc.

My boy is a trail horse now, but he used be a show horse/lesson horse/trail horse. I just retired him this year. So he may take me to a few shows to put around on! I always believe in giving a horse more than one job, that way they dont get sour on you! I had a show mare that started acting like a complete fool until I made the decision to take her on some trail rides here and there. She was just sour. :D

matryoshka
Feb. 9, 2008, 12:53 PM
Years ago, once I introduce my show mare to distance riding, she no longer wanted to show. We had trail ridden regularly, but she took to distance in big way. She got to be a real bugger in the ring, and I'd have to take her out and canter her for a while to settle her attitude down. Then I decided just to retire her from showing since she preferred the trail so much. ;)

Simbalism
Feb. 21, 2008, 04:18 AM
My trail horse is really my "old lady" horse. She started her riding career as a show hunter. Now we mostly play at whatever we feel like. I recently took a western lesson for the heck of it. We also take several h/j lessons per month. Next month we are going to a riding club "clinic" of dressage fix a test and jumping. We are going on several camping trips this spring.If I can find a place, I want to try some cow stuff, like team penning or sorting.