PDA

View Full Version : Eclipse Awards - tonight (1/21)

Glimmerglass
Jan. 21, 2008, 12:30 PM
I'm sure most people know this but the Eclipse Awards will be handed out live tonight from the Beverly Wilshire Four Seasons Hotel in Beverly Hills, CA

The awards will be televised live on TVG starting at 9:30 EST.

Kenny Rice will host the show, which will announce the presentation for Horse of the Year at the end of the broadcast.

Curlin should do very well with expectations running high to take Champion male 3-yr old and HOY; it is still unclear about the older male horse category although I'd expect Invasor to win it despite the abreviated year due to injury.

The Eclipse Awards are presented by the NTRA, National Turf Writers Association and Daily Racing Form.

Glimmerglass
Jan. 21, 2008, 10:33 PM
I just was able to turn on the Eclipse broadcast .. oddly Lahudood won for Turf female to almost a zero response, chilly reception.

Good Night Shirt won the steeplechase as expected

SEPowell
Jan. 21, 2008, 10:38 PM
YEA GOODNIGHT SHIRT!!!

miss_critic
Jan. 21, 2008, 10:40 PM
Lahudood won for Turf female to almost a zero response, chilly reception.

You have got to be kidding.

Glimmerglass
Jan. 21, 2008, 10:43 PM
Breeder Eclipse: Frank Stronach's Adena Springs Farm won by them for the 3rd year in a row

Glimmerglass
Jan. 21, 2008, 10:54 PM
Champion Female Sprinter: Maryfield, who won this year's inaugural running of the BC Female Sprinter division in the Friday slop.

Glimmerglass
Jan. 21, 2008, 11:05 PM
Trainer of the Year: Todd Pletcher takes his 4th year in a row for this Eclipse award.

Glimmerglass
Jan. 21, 2008, 11:21 PM
As expected ....

3-yr old male: Curlin

3-yr old female: Rags to Riches

Glimmerglass
Jan. 21, 2008, 11:29 PM
Eclipse for jockey: Garrett Gomez

Apprentice jockey: Joe Talamo

Glimmerglass
Jan. 21, 2008, 11:35 PM
An upset: Champion Older Male - Lawyer Ron takes the Eclipse!

Glimmerglass
Jan. 21, 2008, 11:41 PM
2007 Horse of The Year: Curlin

Glimmerglass
Jan. 21, 2008, 11:46 PM
And Jess Jackson in his acceptance speech for the HOY said "... and that is why we are going to race Curlin this year (at the age of 4) ..." so there you go - we'll see what he can happen!

Texarkana
Jan. 22, 2008, 10:30 AM
An upset: Champion Older Male - Lawyer Ron takes the Eclipse!

Nice to see LR win. The first half of his season was plenty deserving with his G1 wins and track record. But I'm a little bummed he's the best we got as far as older horses go, and even he's retired now

Glimmerglass
Jan. 22, 2008, 11:10 AM
I don't recall just how serious Invasor's injury was - e.g., could he have been on the mend for six months and come back - as it would've been nice to see him race also a few more times. Let's face it his stud fee isn't that significiant and the Sheik didn't need the breeding revenue. Folks have said they deeply respect what Invasor accomplished as a runner but breeding wise on paper he's not the son of blahblahblah.

I'm not saying he should've been run into the ground by any means, but he could've been an example of a horse lightly run for yet another year in very select races provided his performances were up to par.

Lawyer Ron ran far longer than expected based upon the pressures of pre-signed agreements with him at stud and money traded at the age of 3-yr before the Kentucky Derby. His best distance simply wasn't 1 1/4 mi so it was a shame to see him flop at the BCC after that magnificent, track record setting effort at Saratoga.

Just a basic comment but for those who didn't watch the Eclipse Awards consider yourself lucky! This year was no different then others of late with overall terrible speeches, complete lack of enthusiasm, lame gags and "jokes", and no significant surprises in the winners. Folks know I don't care for Jess Jackson but I'll say to his credit his remarks were the only ones that had a hint of emotion and genuine interest in sharing the award with others.

If anyone thought the producers might have copied the successful formula of other award shows - with video shorts dispursed through the telecast reflecting the year in review or a look back at who passed away or even what records were broken - you'd be mistaken. None of that occured. No idea why anyone would pay the $10,000 + for a table ....

SleepyFox
Jan. 22, 2008, 12:01 PM
I don't recall just how serious Invasor's injury was - e.g., could he have been on the mend for six months and come back - as it would've been nice to see him race also a few more times. Let's face it his stud fee isn't that significiant and the Sheik didn't need the breeding revenue. Folks have said they deeply respect what Invasor accomplished as a runner but breeding wise on paper he's not the son of blahblahblah.

His injury was pretty significant and I've heard questions about his ability to even hold up to covering mares. When I inspected him, he was still on stall rest and looked pretty sore (he was an awfully good boy for being on stall rest, too). Sheikh Hamdan has been pretty good about running his stallions for a long time. You could argue that none of the older runners accomplished what Invasor did, so he didn't have the incentive to retire them, but he still has kept several of his stallions running longer than a lot of people would.

Am very glad to hear Curlin will continue running!!

SleepyFox
Jan. 22, 2008, 12:09 PM
No idea why anyone would pay the $10,000 + for a table ....

Maybe the food was really good? :lol::lol:

I didn't watch, but I'm not at all surprised by your description. How often does racing get it right when something is televised?

Barnfairy
Jan. 22, 2008, 12:13 PM
IIRC, Invasor fractured a sesamoid behind, and also it was not the first time he had had an injury in that area on that leg. I don't think returning him to racing could ever be an option. Sesamoids are tricky.

I don't think there's any doubt that Invasor is the better horse overall, but when looking at how much Lawyer Ron accomplished in 07 I can understand why he won.

Complete vote tallies are at the bottom of the DRF's Eclipse summary write-up (http://www.drf.com/news/article/91739.html).

Glimmerglass
Jan. 24, 2008, 04:09 PM
Maybe the food was really good? :lol::lol:

I think I overstated the cost of a table - not sure.

Listed here is the rate of $300 a plate (http://www.horseraceinsider.com/west-coast-wash/)

Further comments from Bill Christine (the former LA Times racing reporter):

Star power used to give the Eclipse dinners pizazz, particularly the ones held near Hollywood, but this time the celebrity presenters were but three--Kim Delaney, Leslie Jordan and Angie Dickinson, who wore a floppy hat and was introduced by master of ceremonies Kenny Rice as "Hollywood royalty." Jordan, an Emmy Award winner like Delaney, once worked as an exercise rider for trainer Horatio Luro, and he recycled a couple of Luro stories that he had told at a previous Eclipse dinner. They weren't as funny this time.