PDA

View Full Version : Celebrity eventers

Rendaivu
Jan. 21, 2008, 09:41 AM
Anyone know any celebrities that event?

deltawave
Jan. 21, 2008, 09:44 AM
Isn't Madonna taking lessons from Wm. Fox-Pitt?

Other than that, hmmmm . . . Christopher Reeve. That's the only person I can think of.

LisaB
Jan. 21, 2008, 10:11 AM
Gosh, if I had the money, I would take lessons from William too, even if I didn't ride :D
John Grisham's kids dabbled a little in it but haven't heard about them in awhile.
Tom Brokaw's kid I think still events
Ollie North's kid is doing really well out there. I'll never forget the sheepish look he had on his face at MCTA when her horse got away from her. He knew he was in for it when she found out.

ponyjumper4
Jan. 21, 2008, 10:32 AM
John Grisham's kids dabbled a little in it but haven't heard about them in awhile.

sold a pony to him. well, it wasn't my pony, my trainer's, but I did ride it for his daughter's trainer.

yellowbritches
Jan. 21, 2008, 11:36 AM
One of the Desperate Housewives used to event...Nicollette Sheridan.

There is a female NASCAR driver who events...Patty Moise.

Frank Deford, on NPR and the SR contributing editor to Sports Illustrated says eventing is his favorite sport in the Olympics.

William Devane used to event (the boss used to teach him). He plays polo now, though. The boss also used to teach the lead singer from Jane's Addiction...don't know if that counts, but I guess he was a Pony Clubber in England.

Please forgive any typing errors...in route to SC, and I'm trying to figure out who's brilliant idea it was to build highways out of CONCRETE...bumpy.

RunForIt
Jan. 21, 2008, 11:43 AM
One of the Desperate Housewives used to event...Nicollette Sheridan.

Frank Deford, on NPR and the SR contributing editor to Sports Illustrated says eventing is his favorite sport in the Olympics.

William Devane used to event (the boss used to teach him). He plays polo now, though. The boss also used to teach the lead singer from Jane's Addiction...don't know if that counts, but I guess he was a Pony Clubber in England.

Please forgive any typing errors...in route to SC, and I'm trying to figure out who's brilliant idea it was to build highways out of CONCRETE...bumpy.

I gather you aren't driving! Not sure the route y'all come, but somewhere between Buckhead, GA and Pine Top (well, at least the part of I-20 GOING to PTF) there is a section that absolutely rattles your teeth out of your head! Aren't you happy to be arriving in our most frigid weather - I HATE IT! (sorry to be hi-jacking here)

pinkngreen
Jan. 21, 2008, 11:44 AM
The boss also used to teach the lead singer from Jane's Addiction...don't know if that counts, but I guess he was a Pony Clubber in England.
Perry Farrell is from the US. He grew up in Miami. Maybe your boss was talking about another band?

yellowbritches
Jan. 21, 2008, 11:48 AM
Not driving. I drove the first leg since we skipped the beltway and I'm more familiar with the route down to 95 the other way. Thank God for the laptop, since I finished my book yesterday (when I didn't feel like my eye balls were getting rattled out of my head. At least we have a full load today!). I have a pile at the house in Aiken, but didn't think to grab another. So, I'm entertaining the boss and I with the Chronicle....he spent many years in LA, so he knew all sorts of those celebrity/stinkin rich types.

yellowbritches
Jan. 21, 2008, 11:49 AM
Perry Farrell is from the US. He grew up in Miami. Maybe your boss was talking about another band?

hmm...could be a different band or a different band member.

flyingchange
Jan. 21, 2008, 12:01 PM
Must be a different band. All of JA's members are from the US.

Ishi
Jan. 21, 2008, 12:16 PM

I think that is who I met last week, she was at my farm. Her name is Patty and she mentioned NASCAR. If she's the same person, she is BEYOND nice. I'm actually seeing her again today, I'll have to ask her. How funny!

pegasusmom
Jan. 21, 2008, 01:22 PM
Chris (or Kris?) Geils (husband was J. Geils Band) evented at one time. Also one of Andrew's trainer's friends evented at one time - she is now a cast member of Nip/Tuck - Kelly Clarkson I believe is her name.

InVA
Jan. 21, 2008, 01:45 PM
Chris (or Kris?) Geils (husband was J. Geils Band) evented at one time. Also one of Andrew's trainer's friends evented at one time - she is now a cast member of Nip/Tuck - Kelly Clarkson I believe is her name.

ya'll are cracking me UP! Kelly Clarkson is / was the american Idol! HAHA!

WindWillowStable
Jan. 21, 2008, 01:53 PM
ya'll are cracking me UP! Kelly Clarkson is / was the american Idol! HAHA!

haha, I was like "I didn't Kelly Clarkson evented, or was in Nip/Tuck for that matter"..lol

It's Kelly Carlson from Nip/Tuck..I love that show!

InVA
Jan. 21, 2008, 01:59 PM
haha, I was like "I didn't Kelly Clarkson evented, or was in Nip/Tuck for that matter"..lol

HA based on earlier threads Clay Aiken would fit in really well to our sport..

Mudroom
Jan. 21, 2008, 02:11 PM
What about the new 1st Lady of Kentucky, Jane Beshear? She's been an eventer for years, first lady now for a month or so. Wife of Governor Steve Beshear.

tx3dayeventer
Jan. 21, 2008, 02:23 PM

My cousin in the executive producer or director of that show (I cant remember which) :D

I think his wife rides.

snoopy
Jan. 21, 2008, 02:36 PM
Anyone know any celebrities that event?

Me!!!! Does that count?;););););):D

LisaB
Jan. 21, 2008, 02:58 PM
I guess Jane counts, then her son is my vet and daughter in law that's an adv. eventer.

Snoops, where's your fame and fortune? You are featured somewhere, right? Where?

snoopy
Jan. 21, 2008, 03:01 PM
I guess Jane counts, then her son is my vet and daughter in law that's an adv. eventer.

Snoops, where's your fame and fortune? You are featured somewhere, right? Where?

It was a joke....the only place I am "featured" is in my own mind.:D

JER
Jan. 21, 2008, 03:05 PM
You are featured somewhere, right?

Honey, we're all featured somewhere.

:D

LisaB
Jan. 21, 2008, 03:09 PM
Crap, blonde roots showing again. Funny JER.
But really, didn't you post something around here about being 'featured' (okay, can't come up with another word) in a british mag? Am I going loo-loo?

When I used to have to cross a street on my horse all the time. I would get cat calls from cars. Does that count as thinking I'm famous?:cool:

snoopy
Jan. 21, 2008, 03:10 PM

HA!!! I am ALWAYS amazed at how many times a day I am asked for my autograph. Honestly it happens quite frequently:

At the grocery store
gas station
etc

Unfortunately it is always on a credit card slip:( and never an 8/10 glossy

yellowbritches
Jan. 21, 2008, 03:13 PM

Well, if that's the case, I count!! My mother confirmed for me over the holidays that my suspicions were true....I AM the center of the universe!! (I always suspected, but to have my own mother confirm it, well, it MUST be true!). You can't get much more famous/important than center of the universe!!! :lol::lol:;)

Jazzy Lady
Jan. 21, 2008, 03:18 PM
I was an extra in a movie... you can even see me for half a second. hahah. Does that count? :p :D

Of course I am the star of my own life to... broadcasted live in HD ;)

snoopy
Jan. 21, 2008, 03:20 PM
But really, didn't you post something around here about being 'featured' (okay, can't come up with another word) in a british mag? Am I going loo-loo?

When I used to have to cross a street on my horse all the time. I would get cat calls from cars. Does that count as thinking I'm famous?:cool:

Not that I recall!!! I will have to get my agent on the phone if that is the case!!!!;) Though I can admit that my photo and results HAVE been in horse and hound on a few occasions....that is as far as "my" fame goes. But that does not count as I "paid" my way into that mag by virture of entry fees.:D

woodstock
Jan. 21, 2008, 03:20 PM
What about the new 1st Lady of Kentucky, Jane Beshear? She's been an eventer for years, first lady now for a month or so. Wife of Governor Steve Beshear.

How Cool. This Governor Beshear is Jeff's dad and Emily's father-in-law, right?

Bravestrom
Jan. 21, 2008, 03:26 PM
I do and my kids do - I have been interviewed for tv a couple times and radio on kid's travel - I publish a family travel website with lots of articles about travel on it with pictures - both my kids and I are featured on a calendar with our horses.

JER
Jan. 21, 2008, 03:38 PM
Well, if that's the case, I count!! My mother confirmed for me over the holidays that my suspicions were true....I AM the center of the universe!! (I always suspected, but to have my own mother confirm it, well, it MUST be true!). You can't get much more famous/important than center of the universe!!!

yellowbritches, there's someone I want you to meet: Copernicus (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copernicus).

LisaB
Jan. 21, 2008, 03:43 PM
Yes, woodstock. Dad was lt. governor awhile back and decided to run again.
And how fitting, eh? With the WEG coming up.

hey101
Jan. 21, 2008, 03:52 PM
I was in the front row of the Jimmy Kimmel Live audience a few months ago, and was on national TV for a whole ONE second!! Every day I fend off a new phone call from someone who wants to be my agent (:lol::lol:).

Janet
Jan. 21, 2008, 04:33 PM
Four direct relatives (and one step-relative) have Wikipedia entries. Does that count?

pegasusmom
Jan. 21, 2008, 04:38 PM
Carlson, Clarkson. . . they are all the same to me - younger, thinner and far more attractive to look at! :cool:

Now . . my husband is prominently featured in the National Geographic documentary on Special Forces. . . and had his very own NPR interview last year.

snoopy
Jan. 21, 2008, 04:42 PM
Carlson, Clarkson. . . they are all the same to me - younger, thinner and far more attractive to look at! :cool:

Have you SEEN miss Kelly Clarkson (pop star) lately...younger maybe but thin and attractive...:confused:

Mudroom
Jan. 21, 2008, 05:11 PM
Have you SEEN miss Kelly Clarkson (pop star) lately...younger maybe but thin and attractive...:confused:

I saw Reba and Kelly in concert last week. Reba (50 something?) looked 10 times hotter than Kelly did!

Event4Life
Jan. 21, 2008, 05:12 PM
John Grishams daughter Shea used to ride, competed @ either Novice or Training, can't remember which. She stopped somewhere around High School because she started playing Softball.

I don't know if Zara Phillips counts as a celebrity, but she events. Clearly.

pegasusmom
Jan. 21, 2008, 05:23 PM

Can't say as I have. . . but then I am one of the three people in the US who has never seen American Idol and thinks most television is not worth much. . .

pwynnnorman
Jan. 21, 2008, 07:28 PM
Ivan Lendl's daughter, yes?

yellowbritches
Jan. 21, 2008, 09:09 PM
yellowbritches, there's someone I want you to meet: Copernicus (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copernicus).

Stupid Copernicus...what did HE know?!?!

;)

subk
Jan. 21, 2008, 09:49 PM
My horse Weber events and he was featured on the opening 90 seconds or so of a National Geographic special...

adamsmom
Jan. 21, 2008, 10:30 PM
Ann Glaus is the wife of St. Louis Cardinals 3rd baseman, Troy Glaus. I also think he owns some of Buck's horses.

Rodeo Relish
Jan. 21, 2008, 10:48 PM
Ed Harrris and Amy Madigan's daughter, Lilly, events here on the West Coast.

Reynard Ridge
Jan. 22, 2008, 12:06 AM
Well, if that's the case, I count!! My mother confirmed for me over the holidays that my suspicions were true....I AM the center of the universe!! (I always suspected, but to have my own mother confirm it, well, it MUST be true!). You can't get much more famous/important than center of the universe!!! :lol::lol:;)

Crowded there, isn't it? ;)

Ellie K
Jan. 22, 2008, 12:24 AM
Ed Harrrisoh, yum.

I remember reading an interview with that most super of supermodels, Christy Turlington, in which she said she was "discovered" at a horse trial.

criss
Jan. 22, 2008, 01:25 AM
Christy Whitman, former governor of NJ and then EPA secretary (right?).

Diann Roffe, former olympian in alpine skiing. She said in an interview I read once that she found eventing at T (I think?) just as challenging as skiing on the USST.

But I suppose they're really all just copying Princess Anne, the original celeb eventer. :)

galwaybay
Jan. 22, 2008, 01:46 PM
Criss is right - the first Celebrity Eventer was Princess Anne - made it on the Olympic team, stayed w/ team in Olympic Village, and we completely overlooked Zara Phillips - a Princess, daughter of Princess Anne and Mark Phillips. Winner of the WEG and European Championships. Guess with all that riding the Paparazzi finds her hard to hound:)

Jealoushe
Jan. 22, 2008, 01:53 PM
Ashley Judd was watching the Rolex one year, maybe she dabbles?

snoopy
Jan. 22, 2008, 02:51 PM
Criss is right - the first Celebrity Eventer was Princess Anne - made it on the Olympic team, stayed w/ team in Olympic Village, and we completely overlooked Zara Phillips - a Princess, daughter of Princess Anne and Mark Phillips. Winner of the WEG and European Championships. Guess with all that riding the Paparazzi finds her hard to hound:)

Zara is NOT a princess....only a father (holder of title) can pass his title to his children there for zara nor her brother peter are a princess or prince. The reining manarch can bestow a curtesy title, but this was declined by both Mark and Anne. So although they hold NO titles, they are still in line to the throne by virtue of birth to a monarch's child.

Debbie
Jan. 22, 2008, 03:04 PM
they are still in line to the thrown.

:lol::lol: There's a Freudian slip typo when talking about an eventer!

My dogs think I am a celebrity. Does that count!?! :D

subk
Jan. 22, 2008, 03:14 PM
Ashley Judd was watching the Rolex one year, maybe she dabbles?
Her Nashville (actually a county south of town) farm is in the center of equestrianism in the area. I think she likes horses and rides occassionaly, but I've never heard of her doing something eventing related or any "horse sport" for that matter.

Painted Wings
Jan. 22, 2008, 03:18 PM
Patti Scialfa (Bruce Springsteen's wife) looked at a friend of mine's Training level eventer he had for sale. They had him haul her all the way from Missouri to NJ so they could try try her. They did not buy her but they did pay his expenses. He said it was interesting if nothing else.

thumbsontop
Jan. 22, 2008, 03:29 PM
My 13 yr old daughter events and would LOVE to be famous. Does that count?? As many times as I've heard her microphone renditions of Miley Cyrus and Ashley Tisdale...as well as how I just have to take her to LA to go on auditions...that has to count for something, right? Please, I suffer.

fooler
Jan. 22, 2008, 03:53 PM
6 degrees of separation count?

I event and am a legend in my own mind plus. . .

One of my cousins married Robert Conrad, the actor ( Wild, Wild West TV series) and my husband's youngest daughter danced with ABT for many years - with Baryshnikov.

Sigh. . . I have not met either, but did speak with Conrad on the phone, but that is another story.

chism
Jan. 22, 2008, 03:58 PM
Now . . my husband is prominently featured in the National Geographic documentary on Special Forces. . . and had his very own NPR interview last year.

Love the NatGeo channel. What's it called?
My horse Rudy and I were on a NPR segment for "Only A Game" for CANTER a year ago last Christmas. He wasn't talking much so I had to do it all. ;)

Janet
Jan. 22, 2008, 04:14 PM
Zara is NOT a princess....only a father (holder of title) can pass his title to his children there for zara nor her brother peter are a princess or prince. The reining manarch can bestow a curtesy title, but this was declined by both Mark and Anne. So although they hold NO titles, they are still in line to the thrown by virtue of birth to a monarch's child.I am not so sure about that. Princess Margaret's children had/have titles.

bludini
Jan. 22, 2008, 04:20 PM
My cousin is Erik Wilhelm (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erik_Wilhelm).

And my lab partner in college was David Little.

And my own sweet daddy sits at the right hand of God. (He's in heaven)

Angela Freda
Jan. 22, 2008, 04:21 PM
but did speak with Conrad on the phone, but that is another story.
Tell! Tell!

fooler
Jan. 22, 2008, 04:54 PM
Quote:
Zara is NOT a princess....only a father (holder of title) can pass his title to his children there for zara nor her brother peter are a princess or prince. The reining manarch can bestow a curtesy title, but this was declined by both Mark and Anne. So although they hold NO titles, they are still in line to the thrown by virtue of birth to a monarch's child.

It was my understanding that any child of a 'royal' parent and Anne is Her Royal Highness, automatically receive the prince/princess title. The story I always heard was Anne refused titles for her children from the beginning and QE2 while not happy, obliged.

fooler
Jan. 22, 2008, 05:20 PM
Originally Posted by fooler
but did speak with Conrad on the phone, but that is another story.

Tell! Tell!

Long story short, more than a year before my uncle's death he left a valuable with my mom (his sister) for safe keeping. The will had to be probated before the valuable could be handed over to the rightful owner. Of course there were disagreements between my cousin & her step-mother. Both wanted it NOW & Mom, per legal advise, did nothing until the will was settled.
So the many conversations with the Conrads was 'less than pleasant' shall we say. . .

eqsiu
Jan. 22, 2008, 05:37 PM
I am not so sure about that. Princess Margaret's children had/have titles.

Princess Anne's children do not.

snoopy
Jan. 22, 2008, 06:01 PM

That is because the queen made Margaret's husband a lord hence the children were passed the title of lady sarah and vicount linley. The children and wife are extended the father's/husband's title. Hence Prince and PRINCESS michael. Sarah was actually PRINCESS andrew, duchess of york...and so on.

snoopy
Jan. 22, 2008, 06:05 PM
Quote:
Zara is NOT a princess....only a father (holder of title) can pass his title to his children there for zara nor her brother peter are a princess or prince. The reining manarch can bestow a curtesy title, but this was declined by both Mark and Anne. So although they hold NO titles, they are still in line to the thrown by virtue of birth to a monarch's child.

It was my understanding that any child of a 'royal' parent and Anne is Her Royal Highness, automatically receive the prince/princess title. The story I always heard was Anne refused titles for her children from the beginning and QE2 while not happy, obliged.

Only by the male does a title pass. Mark was offered a curtesy title, he refused. If he had accepted, his children would be extended his title. Anne was offered titles for the children in any event, she declined. Now that they are the age of majority, the queen can give them titles if they so choose to accept....without anne's approval.

snoopy
Jan. 22, 2008, 06:11 PM
:lol::lol: There's a Freudian slip typo when talking about an eventer!

My dogs think I am a celebrity. Does that count!?! :D

FAB!!!!!! OKAY "throne". There goes my invitation to be knighted!!

fooler
Jan. 22, 2008, 06:20 PM
Only by the male does a title pass. Mark was offered a curtesy title, he refused. If he had accepted, his children would be extended his title. Anne was offered titles for the children in any event, she declined. Now that they are the age of majority, the queen can give them titles if they so choose to accept....without anne's approval.

You learn something new everyday!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Royal_Family
Although, in the United Kingdom, there is no strict legal or formal definition of who is or is not a member of the Royal Family,[1] and different lists will include different people, those carrying the style His or Her Majesty (HM), or His or Her Royal Highness (HRH) are generally considered members, which usually results in the application of the term to: the monarch, the consort of the monarch, the widowed consorts of previous monarchs, the children of the monarch, the male-line grandchildren of the monarch, and the spouses and the widowed spouses of a monarch's son and male-line grandsons.

AND

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Princess_Royal
As is customary, the Queen is believed to have offered Mark Phillips an earldom on his wedding day, which he turned down. This may also have been the specific wish of Princess Anne, who wanted to shield future children from the publicity that courtesy titles might bring. They thus became the first grandchildren of a sovereign to carry no title. However, they are not the first children of a princess to carry no title. The children of Princess Alexandra, the Queen's cousin, who were born in the 1960s, are also untitled.

snoopy
Jan. 22, 2008, 06:28 PM

FYI janet...see above.

galwaybay
Jan. 22, 2008, 10:49 PM
Okay okay whatever - but Zara is a "royal" is she not. but I guess one doesn't really consider her a celebrity because she apparently manages to stay in the saddle and out of the tabloids. My apologies to anyone across the pond - perhaps Zara graces the pages of tabloids in the UK, but not necessarily in our People and US magazines.

snoopy
Jan. 22, 2008, 10:58 PM
Okay okay whatever - but Zara is a "royal" is she not. but I guess one doesn't really consider her a celebrity because she apparently manages to stay in the saddle and out of the tabloids. My apologies to anyone across the pond - perhaps Zara graces the pages of tabloids in the UK, but not necessarily in our People and US magazines.

Technically no she is not, she does not hold the title of HRH there for she is not royal, nor do you curtsey, bow, nod etc. She may have royal family memebers but she is in fact "a commoner". (but not really;))
And our Zara HAS managed some time in the british press a few years back...just being a young adult "stuff".
In any event yes, she is a celebrity.

galwaybay
Jan. 22, 2008, 11:16 PM
Delighted to hear Zara had some time in the press! No doubt,if she had title or not, I'm sure if she was behaving a la Brittney, Paris or Lindsay tabloids would have had quite a field day. Enough of Zara - there has got to be some more celebs eventing - in the H/J world there are a bit more - mostly kids of celebs -