PDA

View Full Version : Let's have some triva

Glimmerglass
Jan. 17, 2008, 06:20 PM
It is the winter time, cold and dull with just a few good races to be found here and there. The Derby trail is barely warming yet, etc .. so why not have a little triva?

To kick it off:

1 - Santa Anita does not have a stall 13 due to classic superstitions. However there a stall assignment between 12 and 14 - what is it?

2 - Some of the most competitive full-sister fillies ran under the collective name of the "Barbarous Battalion". Name just one of the sisters. (There were four of them)

Linny
Jan. 17, 2008, 06:25 PM
#2. Ruthless and Remorseless, Relentless and Regardless
The dam was Barbarity and Ruthless won the first Belmont. (AND she was a NY bred!)

As for #1, I have no idea. I don't think I've ever seen a 13 horse race at SA! Do they use 12A?

Linny
Jan. 17, 2008, 06:27 PM
How about the last filly to win the Belmont Stakes, before Rags to Riches and what year?

Glimmerglass
Jan. 17, 2008, 06:38 PM
#2. Ruthless and Remorseless, Relentless and Regardless
The dam was Barbarity and Ruthless won the first Belmont. (AND she was a NY bred!)

As for #1, I have no idea. I don't think I've ever seen a 13 horse race at SA! Do they use 12A?

Linny wins the rubber mallet! :)

Indeed 12A is assigned to the stall

And yes those are the daughter of Eclipse and Barbarity. I should've said there was five full sisters in all as there was a non "R' named filly: Merciless.

Drvmb1ggl3
Jan. 17, 2008, 06:51 PM
1. The only entire to ever win the Cheltenham Gold Cup, he subsequently sired two winners. Name that horse.
2. For bonus points, he sired four winners of another famous race, all of whom were trained by the same trainer, name the trainer.

Barnfairy
Jan. 17, 2008, 08:13 PM
How about the last filly to win the Belmont Stakes, before Rags to Riches and what year?Tanya in 1905 (which I only know because it was mentioned several times surrounding RtR's win.)

1. The only entire to ever win the Cheltenham Gold Cup, he subsequently sired two winners. Name that horse.
2. For bonus points, he sired four winners of another famous race, all of whom were trained by the same trainer, name the trainer.1. Fortina

2. Tom Dreaper

And yes, I totally cheated and looked those two up, so no bonus points for me!

Barnfairy
Jan. 17, 2008, 08:15 PM
What do Miesque, Lure, and Da Hoss all have in common?

Drvmb1ggl3
Jan. 17, 2008, 08:18 PM
What do Miesque, Lure, and Da Hoss all have in common?

All two time BC Mile winners.

Barnfairy
Jan. 17, 2008, 08:23 PM
Quick! and Correct!

Okay. What was the name of the horse that was ridden by Bill Mott and pony to Cigar?

Drvmb1ggl3
Jan. 17, 2008, 08:25 PM
Only two jockeys have won at least one Classic race (i.e Triple Crown race) in all four of these countries USA, France, Ireland and GB. Who are they?

alexbrown4
Jan. 17, 2008, 08:29 PM
guessing: cash asmussen and steve cauthen ? cheers, alex

alexbrown4
Jan. 17, 2008, 08:30 PM
actually now i think one of them is likely the jockey of go and go who won the belmont! cheers, alex

miss_critic
Jan. 17, 2008, 08:44 PM
Wasn't Ruthless was the first filly to win the Belmont?

Linny
Jan. 17, 2008, 09:28 PM
Wasn't Ruthless was the first filly to win the Belmont?
She was the first horse to win the Belmont. She won the inaugural running, at Morris Park in what is now the Bronx in 1867. She and all her illustrious siblings were foaled in the Bronx. If you drive from Queens to the Bronx on the Throgs Neck Bridge, you arrive in an area once known as "Throgs Neck." It was the home of the farm where Barbarity lived.

As for the Classic jockeys, how about Mick Kinane and Steve Cauthen. I'm tempted to go back to some of the US riders who went overseas during the blackout era of the 'teens, like Willie Simms or Jimmy Winkfield but I'm not sure how many nations they rode in...

JER
Jan. 17, 2008, 10:12 PM
2. For bonus points, he sired four winners of another famous race, all of whom were trained by the same trainer, name the trainer.

My first guess is Cantab but he didn't win the CGC, did he? He did run over fences and he did sire two winners.

Dawn Run also had her reproductive organs intact when she won, so technically she qualifies as an entire.:)

JER
Jan. 17, 2008, 10:27 PM

Fortina is the stallion who won the Gold Cup.

Texarkana
Jan. 17, 2008, 10:58 PM
Quick! and Correct!

Okay. What was the name of the horse that was ridden by Bill Mott and pony to Cigar?

Finally, something in my lifetime! Wasn't it Snowball?

I am stumped on the jock question...

Drvmb1ggl3
Jan. 17, 2008, 11:36 PM
Fortina was indeed the Gold Cup stallion, winning in 1947.
The 2 winners he sired were Glencarraig Lady in 1973 and Fort Leney in 1968. In addition in sired 4 winners of the Irish Grand National, Olympia in 1960, Fortria in 1961, Last Link in 1963 and Splash in 1965, who were all trainer by Tom Dreaper.

Linny had the answer to the Jocks question, Steve Cauthen and Mick Kinane

Steve Cauthen
USA - KY Derby ('78), Preakness ('78), Belmont ('78)
England - 2000 Guineas ('79), Derby ('85, '87), St Leger ('85, '87, '89)
Ireland - Irish 2000 Guineas (-), Irish Derby ('89), Irish St Leger ('92)
France - Prix des Poulains (-), Prix du Jockey Club ('89), Prix Royal Oak ('86)
Mick Kinane
USA - KY Derby (-), Preakness (-), Belmont ('90)
England - 2000 Guineas ('90, '97, '98), Derby ('93, '01), St Leger ('01)
Ireland - Irish 2000 Guineas ('82, '86, '02), Irish Derby ('01, '02), Irish St Leger ('93, '94, '06)
France - Prix des Poulains ('02), Prix du Jockey Club (-), Prix Royal Oak (-)

Drvmb1ggl3
Jan. 17, 2008, 11:41 PM
Three Derby winning jockeys have also bred horses that ran in the Derby, two rode the horses they bred, the other rode a different horse as the horse he bred went on to win. Name the jockeys and the horses.
(For clarity's sake, we're talking The Derby, i.e the one at Epsom).

JER
Jan. 18, 2008, 01:26 AM
Three Derby winning jockeys have also bred horses that ran in the Derby, two rode the horses they bred, the other rode a different horse as the horse he bred went on to win. Name the jockeys and the horses.
(For clarity's sake, we're talking The Derby, i.e the one at Epsom).

Harry Wragg? (He rode and trained Derby winners but not sure if he bred. And then there's the Cockney slang in his honor.)

Barnfairy
Jan. 18, 2008, 07:50 AM
Finally, something in my lifetime! Wasn't it Snowball?

Ding! You are correct!

Glimmerglass
Jan. 18, 2008, 10:58 AM
To date there has been 4 winners of the Kentucky Derby who were bred outside outside of the US and imported as yearlings. Name the year of victory for the first and the respective country from which that horse imported?

Worth citing: the 'Cannonball of Caracas', Canonero II, would not be included. He was bred in Kentucky by E.B. Benjamin.

Texarkana
Jan. 18, 2008, 11:09 AM
To date there has been 4 winners of the Kentucky Derby who were bred outside outside of the US and imported as yearlings. Name the year of victory for the first and the respective country from which that horse imported?

Worth citing: the 'Cannonball of Caracas', Canonero II, would not be included. He was bred in Kentucky by E.B. Benjamin.

Do Canadian-breds count? All I can think of off hand is Northern Dancer. That was 1964... right? And then there was Sunny's Halo, another Canuck, in 1983 I think...

ETA... I can't read. I don't know if Northern Dancer was the first. I have no clue who was the first imported winner of the KD.

Drvmb1ggl3
Jan. 18, 2008, 11:17 AM
The English bred Omar Khayyam is one.
Northern Dancer doesn't count as imported, he remained a Canadian horse throughout his racing career.
Seems like there was a horse in the 50's, but can't remember his name.

Hmmmm.

Texarkana
Jan. 18, 2008, 11:23 AM
Northern Dancer doesn't count as imported, he remained a Canadian horse throughout his racing career.
Seems like there was a horse in the 50's, but can't remember his name.

Hmmmm.

Good point. Further illustrating my lack of reading comprehension today. I took the question as "imported for the race" when clearly it says "imported as yearlings."

Glimmerglass
Jan. 18, 2008, 11:23 AM

Correct. 1917's Kentucky Derby was won by Omar Khayyam; trained by C.T. Patterson; bred in England by Sir John Robinsin. He was the first foreign-bred colt to win the Derby.

NYT May 13, 1917 - "Andrew Miller's Ticket, the Favorite, Is Second, and Harry Payne Whitney's Rickety Fourth" (http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=9903E0DD123AE433A25750C1A9639C94 6696D6CF)

Glimmerglass
Jan. 18, 2008, 11:27 AM
I'm pretty sure (but feel free to correct me) that by all accounts Canonero II (1971 KY Derby) (http://www.kentuckyderby.com/2002/derby_history/derby_charts/years/1971.html) is considered the only foreign-based runner to win the Derby. A few horses have certainly crossed into Canada to run, but none were considered Canadian-based at the time of their victory.

Drvmb1ggl3
Jan. 18, 2008, 11:32 AM
I'm pretty sure (but feel free to correct me) that by all accounts Canonero II (1971 KY Derby) (http://www.kentuckyderby.com/2002/derby_history/derby_charts/years/1971.html) is considered the only foreign-based runner to win the Derby. A few horses have certainly crossed into Canada to run, but none were considered Canadian-based at the time of their victory.

Well that is a gray area. But ND was Canadian owned and ran in Canada as a 2yo and 3yo, so was he really imported as a yearling? Granted he was based in the US for most of his 3yo year, but I would think Cannucks would consider him Canadian.

Galileo1998
Jan. 18, 2008, 11:44 AM
Both Northern Dancer and Sunny's Halo were bred and owned by Canadians, and neither were exported as yearlings so I'm going to guess they don't count.

Glimmerglass
Jan. 18, 2008, 11:45 AM
Agreed it is a gray area. Perhaps the determining factor is that Canonero II never prior to the KY Derby raced in the US? By comparison Northern Dancer had won the Flamingo Stakes, Florida Derby, and Blue Grass Stakes in his run up to the Kentucky Derby.

Drvmb1ggl3
Jan. 18, 2008, 11:56 AM
Agreed it is a gray area. Perhaps the determining factor is that Canonero II never prior to the KY Derby raced in the US? By comparison Northern Dancer had won the Flamingo Stakes, Florida Derby, and Blue Grass Stakes in his run up to the Kentucky Derby.

True, but the original question said imported as yearlings. As far as I can remember, ND started racing in Canada as a 2yo and did not come to the US until very end of his 2yo year (Nov?) to race in the Remsen at Aqueduct. or maybe I'm misremembering.

Drvmb1ggl3
Jan. 18, 2008, 12:28 PM
Tomy Lee!! Damn it, I knew there was a reason Tudor Minstrel was whirling around in my head. (OK, I admit, I pulled a "Barnfairy" and looked at a list of winners from the 50's to jog my memory, it was driving me crazy).

So if you're counting the Dancer and Sunny's Halo that makes it four, two English bred and two Canadian bred.

Drvmb1ggl3
Jan. 18, 2008, 12:32 PM
Name the only stallion to sire the winners of the Epsom and Kentucky versions of the Derby in the same year.

Drvmb1ggl3
Jan. 18, 2008, 12:39 PM
Harry Wragg? (He rode and trained Derby winners but not sure if he bred. And then there's the Cockney slang in his honor.)

Getting back to this one.
The latest Derby winning jockey to breed a Derby winner was just last year.... Authorised was bred by Mick Kinane, who watched from the back of the field aboard Archipenko as the horse he bred romped home.
The other two Derby winning jocks who accomplished this feat were the great Lester Piggot who rode his home bred Cavo Doro to 2nd place in '73 and Willie Carson who finished down the field aboard his horse Minster Son in '88.

Texarkana
Jan. 18, 2008, 01:44 PM
Name the only stallion to sire the winners of the Epsom and Kentucky versions of the Derby in the same year.

I really do know the answer to this one. Nijinsky, a Derby winner himself. And hey, another Canadian-bred...

Barnfairy
Jan. 18, 2008, 02:54 PM
Who was the first Kentucky Derby winner sired by a Kentucky Derby winner?

Tory Relic
Jan. 18, 2008, 03:32 PM

Count Fleet?

Barnfairy
Jan. 18, 2008, 03:48 PM

Count Fleet?Very good guess, but no, there was one before Count Fleet.

Hint: Count Fleet's sire, Reigh Count, won the Kentucky Derby two years after the sire of the horse I am thinking of did.

Beezer
Jan. 18, 2008, 04:52 PM

I'm thinking Omaha, but there may have been one before that.

What American TC winner managed to sire only foals registered with the AQHA?

Drvmb1ggl3
Jan. 18, 2008, 04:56 PM
I'm thinking Omaha, but there may have been one before that.

What American TC winner managed to sire only foals registered with the AQHA?

Assault.

Glimmerglass
Jan. 18, 2008, 05:05 PM
What was the name of Pebbles (Eclipse Female Turf, 1985) constant male companion?

Beezer
Jan. 18, 2008, 05:20 PM
What was the name of Pebbles (Eclipse Female Turf, 1985) constant male companion?

Damn ... I can't remember his name, but it was a gelding who went pretty much everywhere with her. It's ... right there ... on THAT neuron ... nope, can't get it. :sigh:

But I do remember what her favorite beverage was. :winkgrin: Anyone else?

Glimmerglass
Jan. 18, 2008, 05:28 PM
But I do remember what her favorite beverage was. :winkgrin: Anyone else?

Of course: it's like a meal (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zff9hVH3ptY) :D

Video of the great Pebbles winning the Breeders' Cup (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bcX2E4lQ68&feature=related)

Barnfairy
Jan. 18, 2008, 07:45 PM

Blue? Blue something?

Originally Posted by Barnfairy http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum/showthread.php?p=2946770#post2946770)

I'm thinking Omaha, but there may have been one before that. Yup, before that. But you were close too!

One more hint: the horse's name is very similar to a popular American fast food chain.

Sing Mia Song
Jan. 18, 2008, 08:01 PM
One more hint: the horse's name is very similar to a popular American fast food chain.

Burgoo King!

Who was the first trainer to win a particular Triple Crown race race five times in a row? The answer may surprise you.

Drvmb1ggl3
Jan. 18, 2008, 08:22 PM
Burgoo King!

Who was the first trainer to win a particular Triple Crown race race five times in a row? The answer may surprise you.

Woody Stephens won the Belmont 5 in a row in the 80's, was he the first?

Barnfairy
Jan. 18, 2008, 08:24 PM
Burgoo King!
Ding ding ding! That's him! He won the KD in 1932, and his sire Bubbling Over won the KD in 1926.

Who was the first trainer to win a particular Triple Crown race race five times in a row? The answer may surprise youguessing: Woody Stephens / Belmont?

Beezer
Jan. 18, 2008, 08:42 PM
Speaking of the B-named horses ;) , which two fillies were named Horse of the Year in consecutive years? (Actually, to be precise only one of them started with a B. It was just the mention of Bubbling Over that brought these gals to mind.)

Texarkana
Jan. 18, 2008, 09:27 PM
Speaking of the B-named horses ;) , which two fillies were named Horse of the Year in consecutive years? (Actually, to be precise only one of them started with a B. It was just the mention of Bubbling Over that brought these gals to mind.)

Is one of them Beldame?

Galileo1998
Jan. 18, 2008, 10:16 PM
Pebbles companion was "Come On The Blues" :)

Glimmerglass
Jan. 18, 2008, 11:15 PM
Pebbles companion was "Come On The Blues" :)

Correct! He was a 6-yr old gelding when she (at 4-yrs old) rocked the world in perhaps one of the most impressive BC victories.

Glimmerglass
Jan. 18, 2008, 11:19 PM

Similar in name and also that fact that they reflect food .. 'burgoo' is a beloved spicy stew (http://www.angelfire.com/ky/burgoo/) in the south (particularly Kentucky) but was loathed by British Royal sailors ;)

Linny
Jan. 18, 2008, 11:53 PM
The owner of Burgoo King and Bubbling Over named all his horses with the first letter "B." Who was he an why the "B?"

Beezer
Jan. 19, 2008, 12:34 AM
Is one of them Beldame?

Alas, no, but good try! A hint: Both were wondrous race fillies who beat the top colts of their time; one had a one-word name (she would be the B name), the other had a two-word name that began with the same letter. ;)

The owner of Burgoo King and Bubbling Over named all his horses with the first letter "B." Who was he an why the "B?"

As he did with the above referenced wonderful filly. :p I'm **guessing** that because in his idle hours, ;) that was his nod to immortality.

Sing Mia Song
Jan. 19, 2008, 09:37 AM
Woody Stephens won the Belmont 5 in a row in the 80's, was he the first?

Nope! He was the second.

The first was RW Walden (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_W._Walden) of Bowling Brook in Middleburg, MD. He won the Preakness five years in a row and won the Belmont in three of those years. A pretty incredible feat, especially when you consider it occurred in 1978-1882.

Sadly, the old Bowling Brook (which is about a mile from where I live) is falling to bits. A couple of the barns, as well as the old water tower, still stand, but the fence to the training track is slowly being dismantled. If I won the lottery, I'd buy it and return it to its former glory. :no:

Sing Mia Song
Jan. 19, 2008, 09:42 AM

Col Edward R Bradley of (as Beezer noted) Idle Hour Farm. He also bred and owned Behave Yourself and Broker's Tip, whose only win was in the 1933 Derby. He stood Black Toney, who was the sire of Black Gold.

Idle Hour is now part of Darby Dan and the barns are still the old white with green trim.

Linny
Jan. 19, 2008, 10:12 AM
When Bradley died, his stock was dispersed and became the foundation for several famed breeding operations including the Phipps family program.

Sing Mia Song's got it. But why the "B?"

Sing Mia Song
Jan. 19, 2008, 12:10 PM
I thought it was for Bradley?

Linny
Jan. 19, 2008, 03:56 PM
Bradley's first race horse was named "Bad News" because "Bad News travels fast. When he became a stakeswinner Bradley (who like most gamblers wass very supersticious) decided to stick with "B" names.

Barnfairy
Jan. 19, 2008, 04:03 PM
Here's an easy one (I think):

Eight of the eleven (American) Triple Crown winners were bred in Kentucky. Name the three Triple Crown winners who were not bred in KY, and the states in which they were bred.

Sing Mia Song
Jan. 19, 2008, 04:58 PM
Bradley's first race horse was named "Bad News" because "Bad News travels fast. When he became a stakeswinner Bradley (who like most gamblers wass very supersticious) decided to stick with "B" names.

Nifty!

Sing Mia Song
Jan. 19, 2008, 05:01 PM

Eight of the eleven (American) Triple Crown winners were bred in Kentucky. Name the three Triple Crown winners who were not bred in KY, and the states in which they were bred.

Gallant Fox and Omaha, I believe, were both born in Bowie, MD. The old Belair stud is now part of the University of MD agricultural campus.

And wasn't Assault born in Texas, on the King Ranch?

Edited to add: DUH! Secretariat was born in VA, of course! So at least one of the Belair horses must be wrong.

Linny
Jan. 19, 2008, 06:57 PM
I think Omaha was foaled in KY.

Affirmed was a FLA bred!

JER
Jan. 19, 2008, 07:26 PM

Assault -- he was owned/bred by the King Ranch in TX.
Secretariat -- bred in VA
Affirmed -- bred in FL

JER
Jan. 19, 2008, 07:33 PM
Getting back to 'real' racing:

Who is the only grey to finish 2nd in the Grand National in two consecutive years?

Barnfairy
Jan. 20, 2008, 12:17 PM
Assault -- he was owned/bred by the King Ranch in TX.
Secretariat -- bred in VA
Affirmed -- bred in FLJER's got them all! (Although bred and owned by Belair stud owner William Woodward Sr., both Gallant Fox and Omaha were born on Claiborne Farm in KY.)

Glimmerglass
Jan. 20, 2008, 02:32 PM
What does Secretariat's and Man O' War's last race each have in common?

Barnfairy
Jan. 20, 2008, 03:01 PM
What does Secretariat's and Man O' War's last race each have in common?Both in Canada!

Who is the only grey to finish 2nd in the Grand National in two consecutive years? This one has piqued my interest. I only know it wasn't Desert Orchid! In my sad isolationist American state I can't think of any other grey NH horses off the top of my head...:no:

Drvmb1ggl3
Jan. 20, 2008, 03:01 PM
What does Secretariat's and Man O' War's last race each have in common?

They both ran their last race in Canada, Sec in the Canadian Intl and MO'W in a match race with Sir Barton.

Galileo1998
Jan. 20, 2008, 03:33 PM
Suny Bay ran 2nd in the Grand National in 1997 under Jamie Osborne, and in the heavy mud of 1998 under Grahahm Bradley carrying an astonishing 12 stone (168 pounds) :eek:. I was lucky enough to be there in 1998 - only six horses finished, and the most any of the others were carrying was 145 lbs so he was giving at least 23 pounds to every other finisher. He was a star that day :yes:

Glimmerglass
Jan. 20, 2008, 03:35 PM
Correct: MOW and Secretariat both ended their careers (victoriously) in Canada.

Q: In what year did this program (below) take effect?

Triple Crown offered financial incentives to keep runners racing in all three legs of the series. First, there would be the bonus guaranteeing $5 million to a horse who swept the three races. Then, to keep up interest and participation if different horses won the first two legs, there would be a $1 million prize for the horse who compiled the best record in the series, provided he ran in all three races. This bonus would be determined by a 5-3-1 point system for the top finishers in each race.

Note: neither incentive exists with the Triple Crown today

Galileo1998
Jan. 20, 2008, 03:39 PM
What is the unusal fact about Giant's Causeway's highest earning son?

Barnfairy
Jan. 20, 2008, 03:41 PM
Q: In what year did this program (below) take effect?

Triple Crown offered financial incentives to keep runners racing in all three legs of the series. First, there would be the bonus guaranteeing $5 million to a horse who swept the three races. Then, to keep up interest and participation if different horses won the first two legs, there would be a $1 million prize for the horse who compiled the best record in the series, provided he ran in all three races. This bonus would be determined by a 5-3-1 point system for the top finishers in each race.

Oh gosh...I want to say 1996 but I'm not sure.

Glimmerglass
Jan. 20, 2008, 04:04 PM
Oh gosh...I want to say 1996 but I'm not sure.

I think this will be fairly difficult for folks to recall (although I think the same 2 programs should return): the year was 1987. It was first awarded first to Bet Twice because he took 2nd in the Derby, 2nd in the Preakness, and 1st in the Belmont. Alysheba that same year took 1st, 1st and 4th respectively. Had Alysheba had only taken 3rd he would've gotten the $1M bonus ....

The non-TC winner $1M bonus for retaining interest with a points system was in response to 1985's defection from the rest of the TC series by KY Derby winner, Spend a Buck, to race in the Jersey Derby. He won a special $2M bonus for having won the Kentucky Derby and the the Jersey Derby victory.

An interesting aside: In 1986's Preakness (May 17) winner Snow Chief, who finished 11th in the Kentucky Derby (despite being the favorite; May 3), raced 9 days later in the Jersey Derby (May 28) and won big, his connections initially said they would race in the Belmont (June 7) but then nixed it. So that was 3 big races within 11 days ....

Glimmerglass
Jan. 20, 2008, 04:09 PM
The "Breeders' Cup Juvenile Jinx" was as we all know broken in 2007 with 2006's JV winner, Street Sense, having won the Kentucky Derby.

Q: How many BC JV winners have not raced in the Kentucky Derby?

(Hint with occurances: the Breeders' Cup Juvenile race goes back to 1984, won by Chief's Crown)

K~2
Jan. 20, 2008, 04:30 PM

I googled the answer on this one, and what a fascinating story.

texang73
Jan. 20, 2008, 04:33 PM
I googled the answer on this one, and what a fascinating story.

Aw, man! You aren't going to share???!?

Linny
Jan. 20, 2008, 05:03 PM

Shamardal was almost euthanised because he was a wobbler.

JER
Jan. 20, 2008, 05:04 PM
Ok, another jump racing question:

Name the only horse to win both the Cheltenham Gold Cup and the Grand National in the same year.

Galileo1998
Jan. 20, 2008, 05:08 PM
Golden Miller in 1934 :)

Linny
Jan. 20, 2008, 05:14 PM
The "Breeders' Cup Juvenile Jinx" was as we all know broken in 2007 with 2006's JV winner, Street Sense, having won the Kentucky Derby.

Q: How many BC JV winners have not raced in the Kentucky Derby?

(Hint with occurances: the Breeders' Cup Juvenile race goes back to 1984, won by Chief's Crown)

Purely a guess, 8?

Galileo1998
Jan. 20, 2008, 05:17 PM
Shamardal was almost euthanised because he was a wobbler.

Yes. The breeders of Shamardal received a death claim payout for Shamardal because he was diagnosed as a Grade 3 wobbler. The insurance company then took over ownership of him. To make a long story very short, with some very unusual healing methods he made a recovery and went on to be a very good racehorse.

K~2
Jan. 20, 2008, 05:31 PM
Yes. The breeders of Shamardal received a death claim payout for Shamardal because he was diagnosed as a Grade 3 wobbler. The insurance company then took over ownership of him. To make a long story very short, with some very unusual healing methods he made a recovery and went on to be a very good racehorse.

This is the story I found googling After a shaky start, Shamardal looks for a rosy future
(http://espn.go.com/horse/columns/misc/1977978.html)

Glimmerglass
Jan. 20, 2008, 05:37 PM
Purely a guess, 8?

Close ;)

[spoiler below]

BC JV Winners who did not start in the KY Derby
(2005) Stevie Wonderboy
(2002) Vindication
(2000) Macho Uno
(1996) Boston Harbor
(1992) Gilded Time
(1989) Rhythm
(1988) Is It True
(1987) Success Express
(1985) Tasso

vineyridge
Jan. 20, 2008, 06:23 PM

I cheated and looked this up. I knew Busher, because I love Baby League, but did not know Twilight Tear.

How soon we forget the great ones.

Drvmb1ggl3
Jan. 21, 2008, 01:55 AM
Champion racehorse in Belgium who would go on to feature prominently in the damside of the pedigrees of two of the last three US triple crown winners. Who was that horse and how did he die?

Galileo1998
Jan. 21, 2008, 07:49 AM
Champion racehorse in Belgium who would go on to feature prominently in the damside of the pedigrees of two of the last three US triple crown winners. Who was that horse and how did he die?

Prince Rose - killed during the war in 1944 after the stud that he was stnading at was hit by a bomb.

Lady Counselor
Jan. 21, 2008, 02:02 PM
Here's an easy one for you:
Which Kentucky Derby winner ran each quarter of that Derby faster than the previous quarter?

Lady Counselor
Jan. 21, 2008, 02:06 PM
And a not so easy one:
Who is the first winner of a Breeder's Cup race to be inducted into the U.S. Hall of Fame?

Glimmerglass
Jan. 21, 2008, 02:14 PM
Here's an easy one for you:
Which Kentucky Derby winner ran each quarter of that Derby faster than the previous quarter?

Secretariat.

Lady Counselor
Jan. 21, 2008, 02:57 PM
Secretariat.

:yes:

Drvmb1ggl3
Jan. 21, 2008, 03:12 PM
Name a G1 winner over fences on both sides of the Atlantic.

Galileo1998
Jan. 21, 2008, 03:47 PM
Which mares produce record is this:

7 foals have raced, all have black type.

3 are G1 winners.

3 have been champions.

1 is a Derby winner.

2 are Oaks placed.

2 have earned over $1,000,000

3 of her daughters have sold at auction for over $1,000,000.

Glimmerglass
Jan. 21, 2008, 04:46 PM

I'm pretty sure that would have to have been Lonesome Glory, who won at Cheltenham (England) and then in the States won just about every G1 NSA race around.

Drvmb1ggl3
Jan. 21, 2008, 04:52 PM
I'm pretty sure that would have to have been Lonesome Glory, who won at Cheltenham (England) and then in the States won just about every G1 NSA race around.

Lonesome Glory never ran in a G1 in England, his only race in group company was a G2 at Haydock where he finished down the field.

Texarkana
Jan. 21, 2008, 04:55 PM

3 are G1 winners.

3 have been champions.

1 is a Derby winner.

2 are Oaks placed.

I swear I just was reading this the other day and can't remember the answer. I want to say Glowing Tribute, the dam of Sea Hero. But that doesn't seem right because I can't think of who her other earner of over $1,000,000 would be...

Drvmb1ggl3
Jan. 21, 2008, 04:55 PM

3 are G1 winners.

3 have been champions.

1 is a Derby winner.

2 are Oaks placed.

Your namesake's momma, Urban Sea. :lol:

Texarkana
Jan. 21, 2008, 05:04 PM
Your namesake's momma, Urban Sea. :lol:

:lol: Dammit, I was thinking in the wrong "Derby" box. Should've known. :winkgrin:

JER
Jan. 21, 2008, 05:06 PM

Ben Nevis. Won the Grand National and MD Hunt Cup.

Drvmb1ggl3
Jan. 21, 2008, 05:20 PM

Grand National is not a G1.

vineyridge
Jan. 21, 2008, 05:36 PM
The chaser wouldn't be Battleship, would it?

Beezer
Jan. 21, 2008, 05:39 PM
Easy one:

Who was the first racehorse to become a TV star?

Maybe not so easy:

Name the two grays who battled through the (AmeriKen) TC series in the late '90s.

Beezer
Jan. 21, 2008, 05:41 PM
Grand National is not a G1.

Holy cripes! The Grand National isn't a G-I?!?!? Why?

Glimmerglass
Jan. 21, 2008, 05:41 PM

Damn, strike two!

btw he was actually Ben Nevis II (http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-823278.html) who knows what Ben Nevis I did ;)

Drvmb1ggl3
Jan. 21, 2008, 05:55 PM
Easy one:

Who was the first gray to win the Ky. Derby?

Maybe not so easy:

Name the two grays who battled through the (AmeriKen) TC series in the late '90s.

Silver Charm is one, was Freehouse grey, I can't remember? I know he was placed in all three TC races.

Drvmb1ggl3
Jan. 21, 2008, 06:03 PM
Holy cripes! The Grand National isn't a G-I?!?!? Why?

It's a 40 runner handicap where the top weight is giving away 25-30lbs to unknowns. On top of that the best chasers usually never run in it. Arkle never raced in it, neither did Desert Orchid, Best Mate, and Kauto Star will likely never see the National fences at Aintree. It's usually won by horses that would be slaughtered in G1 company at level weights.... the likes of Silver Birch, Amberleigh House etc wouln't get within ass's roar of the likes Kauto Star, Denman etc on a level playing field.

JER
Jan. 21, 2008, 06:13 PM

Ok. I'll try again.

Saluter?

He won G1s here and the Marlborough Cup timber thing in the UK but I don't think that race ever got Gr status. It was portrayed in the media as some kind of abusive freakshow and was discontinued after a few runnings.

JER
Jan. 21, 2008, 06:15 PM
Kauto Star will likely never see the National fences at Aintree.

I hope not although he seems to be picking up his legs for the last this year.

(Denman looks more like a GN horse to me.)

Glimmerglass
Jan. 21, 2008, 06:15 PM
Easy one:

Who was the first racehorse to become a TV star?

I'm sure this could be seen a few ways. Citation was deprived of coverage he deserved - but no less a huge fan favorite at the track - my guess is that "tv star" designation went to Silky Sullivan (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYDDUVwehlw) .. right?

Drvmb1ggl3
Jan. 21, 2008, 06:24 PM
Ok. I'll try again.

Saluter?

Nope.
Should I leave this one open?

Galileo1998
Jan. 21, 2008, 06:25 PM

L'escargot?

Drvmb1ggl3
Jan. 21, 2008, 06:35 PM
L'escargot?

Technically he predates graded races over fence, but we'll ignore that. As far as I know his only win over fences in the US was in the Meadowbrook Chase, would that count as a G1? (he was placed in the Temple Gwathmey and Colonial Cup which would definitely count as G1s).

There is a more recent example.

Beezer
Jan. 21, 2008, 06:41 PM
Silver Charm is one, was Freehouse grey, I can't remember? I know he was placed in all three TC races.

Correct! Silver Charm and Free House, the two grays who called California home.

I'm sure this could be seen a few ways. Citation was deprived of coverage he deserved - but no less a huge fan favorite at the track - my guess is that "tv star" designation went to Silky Sullivan (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYDDUVwehlw) .. right?

I agree, Glimmer ... there are probably a couple. But for what it's worth, Native Dancer is usually credited with the designation, in part because his gray coat showed up so well in black-and-white! Nickname was, of course, the Galloping Ghost. :)

Galileo1998
Jan. 21, 2008, 06:50 PM
Are we counting hurdles as fences? If so, then it would be Morley Street :)

Drvmb1ggl3
Jan. 21, 2008, 07:41 PM
Are we counting hurdles as fences? If so, then it would be Morley Street :)

Oops, sorry about the confusion, I should have said over jumps.

Yes, Morley Street, winner of the Champion Hurdle G1 at Chelters ('91) and 3 runnings of the Aintree Hurdle G1 ('91, '92, '93) crossed the Atlantic on two occasions to win the Breeders' Cup Steeplechase G1 (90' and '91).

A horse that came close to racking up G1s on either side of the Atlantic was the NZ bred Zabenz, who won the Turf Writer's at Saratoga in '02 and resurfaced in England three years later to finish 2nd in the Feltham Novice's Chase at Sandown.

Galileo1998
Jan. 21, 2008, 08:59 PM
Which horse do the following comments in running belong to:

Held up, mistake 7th, jumped left and unseated rider 10th, remounted, finished alone.

I was working at the Jockey Club in England at the time this bizarre race was run and in a weird coincidence there were a bunch of us watching the race on TV as it happened since it was lunch time, I remember it like it was yesterday, even though it was almost six years ago now :) It was the most bizarre thing I saw in the entire time I worked there.

Galileo1998
Jan. 21, 2008, 09:02 PM
And I will add another trivia question for those that follow more American racing :)

How many Triple Crown winners have run in match races?

Linny
Jan. 21, 2008, 09:22 PM
And I will add another trivia question for those that follow more American racing :)

How many Triple Crown winners have run in match races?

Sir Barton
War Admiral
Whirlaway
Assault

Lady Counselor
Jan. 21, 2008, 09:27 PM
And a not so easy one:
Who is the first winner of a Breeder's Cup race to be inducted into the U.S. Hall of Fame?

Anyone have a guess? I was lucky enough to meet this horse.:cool:

Barnfairy
Jan. 21, 2008, 09:37 PM
Alysheba?

Glimmerglass
Jan. 21, 2008, 11:13 PM
During the 1999 Maryland Breeders' Cup - held as an undercard card during Preakness Day at Pimlico - an insane and intoxicated man from the infield climbed over the fence and then took a swing at what horse in the final stretch?

This horse, the 4-5 favorite and ridden by Jorge Chavez, was not in the lead at the time. The man who has since been banned from attending any events at Pimlico barely missed this horse and punched Jorge in the leg.

Hint the horse would also be a BC winner and Eclipse winner.

SEPowell
Jan. 21, 2008, 11:22 PM
Hey Glimmerglass, I don't know the answer, but I once knew a horse named Glimmerglass!

vineyridge
Jan. 22, 2008, 12:13 AM
Princess Rooney won the first Breeder's Cup Distaff and is in the Hall of Fame, but I don't know if she was the first inducted.

Drvmb1ggl3
Jan. 22, 2008, 12:40 AM
Which horse do the following comments in running belong to:

Held up, mistake 7th, jumped left and unseated rider 10th, remounted, finished alone.

I was working at the Jockey Club in England at the time this bizarre race was run and in a weird coincidence there were a bunch of us watching the race on TV as it happened since it was lunch time, I remember it like it was yesterday, even though it was almost six years ago now :) It was the most bizarre thing I saw in the entire time I worked there.

The name of the horse escapes me, but the jock was AP McCoy and the race was at Southwell. Very unusual indeed, esp since AP was in the ambulance getting a ride back to the jock's room when he realised the rest of the field had fallen and he had the driver turn around.

To top things off some punter in Aus landed a major bet in-running when he realised McCoy had remounted.

Speaking of bizarre bets in running any remember the details of the one at month or so ago when someone layed a faller on BetFair at huge odds in the hopes of fleecing some suckers..... only to find out the announcer had called the wrong horse as a faller and the horse he layed went on to win. Cost him a couple of hundred grand apparently.

K~2
Jan. 22, 2008, 08:26 AM
During the 1999 Maryland Breeders' Cup - held as an undercard card during Preakness Day at Pimlico - an insane and intoxicated man from the infield climbed over the fence and then took a swing at what horse in the final stretch?

This horse, the 4-5 favorite and ridden by Jorge Chavez, was not in the lead at the time. The man who has since been banned from attending any events at Pimlico barely missed this horse and punched Jorge in the leg.

Hint the horse would also be a BC winner and Eclipse winner.

Artax

Glimmerglass
Jan. 23, 2008, 09:44 AM
Artax

Correct. Artax was the horse who was punched at in the stretch of the Maryland Breeders' Cup Stakes race in May 1999. As cited the criminal, Lee Chang Ferrell, as part of his plea (http://espn.go.com/horse/TripleCrown00/s/000517_Puncher.html) "[gave] assurances that he will never set foot again on any property owned by the Maryland Jockey Club."

Glimmerglass
Jan. 23, 2008, 11:14 AM
In the spirit of trivia ...

What was the temporary name given to the pregnant mare Franfreluche (Canada's HOTY 1970) after having been stolen in 1977 from a pasture at Claiborn Farms?

A bonus ...

She was in foal to Secretariat and went missing June 25th of that year. How long - approx - before she was recovered?

(A) 1-week
(B) 1-month
(C) 3-months
(D) 5-months
(E) 7-months

SeeHowSheRuns
Jan. 23, 2008, 11:30 AM
They called Fanfreluche "Brandy". She was gone for about 5 months.

Glimmerglass
Jan. 23, 2008, 11:58 AM
They called Fanfreluche "Brandy". She was gone for about 5 months.

Correct and used "as a riding horse" by the unknowing family. She was later sold (after delivery) to (http://www.canadianhorseracinghalloffame.com/thoroughbred/1981/Fanfreluche.asp) M/M Bertram Firestone for a then-world record for a broadmare of $1.3 million.

Glimmerglass
Jan. 23, 2008, 12:07 PM
To date the Kentucky Derby has been run 133 times and the Travers Stakes at Saratoga 139 times, both are restricted to 3-yr olds but open to either sex. How many horses have won both races?

Glimmerglass
Jan. 24, 2008, 09:33 AM
To date the Kentucky Derby has been run 133 times and the Travers Stakes at Saratoga 139 times, both are restricted to 3-yr olds but open to either sex. How many horses have won both races?

No guesses?

I'll toss out another:

EDITED QUESTION

Q: What was the last year a filly was entered in every leg of that year's Triple Crown chase? Hint in one of the races two fillies were actually entered and raced.

Linny
Jan. 24, 2008, 09:44 AM
Silverbulletday in the Belmont?

Linny
Jan. 24, 2008, 09:51 AM

My guess is 10

Baden Baden
Hindoo
Azra
Omar Khayam
Twenty Grand
Whirlaway
Shut Out
Sea Hero
Thunder Rumble
Steet Sense

Glimmerglass
Jan. 24, 2008, 10:00 AM
Damn you Linny :D You are correct on both questions.

2007 with Street Sense's victory marked just the 10th time the Derby winner also won the Travers Stakes. (Additionally he was just the ninth horse to win the Travers after being the two-year-old champion.)

I'll give you the filly question as I adjusted it likely just before your answer was posted.

1999 marked the last year that a filly was entered into each leg of the Triple Crown: Kentucky Derby had Excellent Meeting (finished 5th) and Three Ring (finished 19th), Preakness Stakes had Excellent Meeting (pulled up and DNF) and the Belmont Stakes had Silverbulletday (finished 7th)

Galileo1998
Jan. 24, 2008, 10:32 AM
What was Dubai Millenniums original name?

and

What was Smarty Jones' original name?

Glimmerglass
Jan. 24, 2008, 10:38 AM
What was Smarty Jones' original name?

He was originally named Get Along after his dam

SeeHowSheRuns
Jan. 24, 2008, 10:53 AM
Dubai Millennium was orignialy named Yazaar.

Linny
Jan. 24, 2008, 11:15 AM
Secretariat was the dominant 3yo of 1973. Who won that year's Travers?

Galileo1998
Jan. 24, 2008, 11:28 AM
Secretariat was the dominant 3yo of 1973. Who won that year's Travers?

Annihilate Em

Linny
Jan. 24, 2008, 11:33 AM
Got it. Many people think Sec lost the Travers to Onion, but that was the Whitney and Onion was a 4yo.

pinkdiamondracing
Jan. 24, 2008, 02:30 PM
Jerry hollendorfer trained a horse named "Surprised" back in 2000-2001-- does anyone know what his original name was before the JC made the owners change it??

pinkdiamondracing
Jan. 24, 2008, 02:40 PM
Here's a hint-- this same horse won the Fresno Futurity his two year old year-- and his named was changed after that-- when he ran as a three-year old his name was "Surprised"

Lady Counselor
Jan. 24, 2008, 02:41 PM
Princess Rooney won the first Breeder's Cup Distaff and is in the Hall of Fame, but I don't know if she was the first inducted.

:yes:
That's correct.

Linny
Jan. 24, 2008, 06:17 PM
Here's a hint-- this same horse won the Fresno Futurity his two year old year-- and his named was changed after that-- when he ran as a three-year old his name was "Surprised"

Chingasos

Drvmb1ggl3
Jan. 24, 2008, 06:26 PM
A bit of racing/eventing trivia.
Chasing in the mid 60's was dominated by two of the greatest chasers of all times, Arkle and Millhouse. In one of their famous Gold Cup duels at Cheltenham the horse and rider that finished 3rd to those two magnificent horses would turn up at the Badminton CCI**** two months later, and finish in 6th place. Name the horse and rider to pull of that remarkable achievement, and where they were from.

For bonus points (eventing only points), that rider, and a great horseman he was, rode two other horses at Badminton that year, who were they are where did they finish?

Drvmb1ggl3
Jan. 24, 2008, 06:28 PM
Chingasos

LOL.

Galileo1998
Jan. 24, 2008, 06:50 PM
A bit of racing/eventing trivia.
Chasing in the mid 60's was dominated by two of the greatest chasers of all times, Arkle and Millhouse. In one of their famous Gold Cup duels at Cheltenham the horse and rider that finished 3rd to those two magnificent horses would turn up at the Badminton CCI**** two months later, and finish in 6th place. Name the horse and rider to pull of that remarkable achievement, and where they were from.

For bonus points (eventing only points), that rider, and a great horseman he was, rode two other horses at Badminton that year, who were they are where did they finish?

It was in 1965 and the horse was Stoney Crossing who finished 3rd to Arkle and Millhouse at odds of 100/1 ridden by Bill Roycroft of Australia.

The other two horses he rode were Eldorado, who was second and Avatar who I believe didn't place.

Galileo1998
Jan. 24, 2008, 07:05 PM
There was a G1 sprint won in England in 2007 by a horse whose sire won the 12 furlong Arc de Triumph and whose damsire won the 12 furlong Epsom Derby. Who is the horse, what race was it, and who are his sire and dam sire?

And - since that one is fairly recent and easy :)

Which two horses dead heated for 1st place in a G1 race in England within the last 15 years? Hint - one was ridden by a woman, the other ran the entire race with his bit around his neck after the bridle broke shorty after coming out of the gate. :eek:

Linny
Jan. 24, 2008, 07:39 PM
Sakhee's Secret by Sakhee x Palace Street won the July Cup.

Drvmb1ggl3
Jan. 24, 2008, 08:11 PM
There was a G1 sprint won in England in 2007 by a horse whose sire won the 12 furlong Arc de Triumph and whose damsire won the 12 furlong Epsom Derby. Who is the horse, what race was it, and who are his sire and dam sire?

And - since that one is fairly recent and easy :)

Which two horses dead heated for 1st place in a G1 race in England within the last 15 years? Hint - one was ridden by a woman, the other ran the entire race with his bit around his neck after the bridle broke shorty after coming out of the gate. :eek:

Linny had the first one.

The answer to the 2nd is Ya Malick and Coastal Bluff in the Nunthrope at York. Good thing for Kevin Darley it was a straight 5f! Great bit of riding all the same, added new meaning to the phrase "grab mane and kick on!".

Barnfairy
Jan. 24, 2008, 08:57 PM
On May 6th, 1972, a horse named Scorched Earth won the Goya Stakes at Kempton Park. Name the winning jockey and the significance of that race.

vineyridge
Jan. 25, 2008, 12:13 AM
First race won by a woman jockey in Britain?
Question to Brits--can female jockeys ride in non-sex segregated races?

Drvmb1ggl3
Jan. 25, 2008, 12:29 AM
Read the post 4 posts above yours.

vineyridge
Jan. 25, 2008, 12:33 AM
To get back to Colonel Bradley--

He bred three three year old champion fillies in a row. Give the names, the years, and the granddam of all of them. This is SO easy.

Linny
Jan. 25, 2008, 09:30 AM
Busher, Bridal Flower and But Why Not.

All granddaughters of the great mare La Troienne.

Glimmerglass
Jan. 25, 2008, 09:32 AM
Jerry hollendorfer trained a horse named "Surprised" back in 2000-2001-- does anyone know what his original name was before the JC made the owners change it??

You have/had me stumped on that one. Was Linny correct with her guess of Chingasos?

Glimmerglass
Jan. 25, 2008, 09:35 AM
What unique distinction did Prudery (1921; finished 3rd) have with her Derby start compared to all of the other fillies to have run in the Kentucky Derby?

Galileo1998
Jan. 25, 2008, 09:40 AM
What unique distinction did Prudery (1921; finished 3rd) have with her Derby start compared to all of the other fillies to have run in the Kentucky Derby?

She produced a Kentucky Derby winner - Whiskery :)

Glimmerglass
Jan. 25, 2008, 09:51 AM
She produced a Kentucky Derby winner - Whiskery :)

Correct, Prudery was the dam to 1927 Derby winner Whiskery. Although I would've also taken a second response as well: Prudery was the only filly to go off as the (co) wagering favorite for a Kentucky Derby. [4th place finisher 'Tryster' was also owned by Harry Payne Whitney and they were coupled for the odds]

Linny
Jan. 25, 2008, 10:23 AM
Fillies Althea and Life's Magic were coupled in the '84 Derby and were the favorites.

More about Prudery, who was involved in what was seen as a scanalous running of the Travers, from Wikipedia:
""The 1921 Travers Stakes is known, unfortunately, for a betting (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betting) scandal. In those days,bookmaking (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bookmaking) rather than parimutuel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parimutuel) wagering was the primary method of taking bets on horse races.
The original field was fairly light with the favorite, the filly Prudery (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prudery), owned by Harry Payne Whitney (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Payne_Whitney), facing no serious competition. Then Arnold Rothstein (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arnold_Rothstein) entered his colt, Sporting Blood (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sporting_Blood), ostensibly to pick up second place. A few days before the race, however, Rothstein had learned that Prudery (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prudery) was off her feed. He knew he might have a real chance to win.
Initially, the odds on the filly were 1-4 while Rothstein's colt was at 5-2. On the day of the race, however, a leading three-year old, Grey Lag (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey_Lag), was entered by trainer Sam Hildreth (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Hildreth). Grey Lag immediately becomes the favorite, with Prudery (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prudery) the second choice, driving the odds on Sporting Blood (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sporting_Blood) up to 3-1. Rothstein bet $150,000 on his horse.
Just before post time (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Post_time&action=edit), Grey Lag (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey_Lag) was scratched with no explanation. During the race, Sporting Blood (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sporting_Blood) overtook the ailing Prudery (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prudery) gaining his owner nearly a half million dollars, including wagers and the purse (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purse).
Although many smelled foul play, it was never proven that Hildreth received any payoff or that there was a conspiracy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conspiracy) between him and Rothstein.""

Rothstein was notrorious as the man who fixed the 1919 World Series.

Barnfairy
Jan. 25, 2008, 11:07 AM
First race won by a woman jockey in Britain?
More significantly, the first race won by a female jockey in Britain under Jockey Club rules (as opposed to amateur status). History was destined to be made on that day; the Goya Stakes was a ladies' race. Now, who knows the winning jockey's name?

Barnfairy
Jan. 26, 2008, 04:13 PM
Anyone, anyone?

Barnfairy
Jan. 28, 2008, 11:26 AM
One last *bump* for the weekday crowd...

'Still looking for the name of the first female jockey to win a race in GB under JC rules.

Drvmb1ggl3
Jan. 28, 2008, 11:30 AM
One last *bump* for the weekday crowd...

'Still looking for the name of the first female jockey to win a race in GB under JC rules.

Muriel Tufnel, she was the first to win a race in open company in '74.

Barnfairy
Jan. 28, 2008, 11:52 AM
Close enough! For accuracy, her name is spelled Meriel Tufnell.

Glimmerglass
Jan. 28, 2008, 09:26 PM
Q: I'm the only horse to have made the Kentucky Derby my only visit to the winner's circle.

Lifetime record: 14: 1-2-1

Who am I and what year did I win the Kentucky Derby?

Barnfairy
Jan. 28, 2008, 09:45 PM
Sing Mia Song knows the answer!!!! (Check post #56 of this thread!)

pinkdiamondracing
Jan. 28, 2008, 09:53 PM
sorry you guys--i forgot to post and tell Linny that she was correct in her guess of the horse whose name was changed to Surprised-- His original name was Chingasos

Linny
Jan. 29, 2008, 07:51 AM
Q: I'm the only horse to have made the Kentucky Derby my only visit to the winner's circle.

Lifetime record: 14: 1-2-1

Who am I and what year did I win the Kentucky Derby?

Broker's Tip in 1933. It was the famous battling Derby as the riders on the first 2 finishers fought with each other the length of the stretch. Runner up was Head Play. Broker's Tip was yet another Bradley horse.

Glimmerglass
Jan. 29, 2008, 10:08 AM
Linny is correct: Broker's Tip 1930 - 1953 and burried at Churhill Downs today (http://www.tbheritage.com/TurfHallmarks/Graves/pix/BrokersTipLM.JPG), although he died in California, won the Derby (barely - by a nose) and nothing else.

Glimmerglass
Jan. 29, 2008, 10:11 AM
We know Spectacular Bid had an exceptionally rare Woodward Stakes in 1980 by virtue of a walkover.

Q: Before that what had been the last time there was a walkover in US racing? Name the horse and the race.

Galileo1998
Jan. 29, 2008, 08:03 PM
Coaltown, Edward Burke Handicap, 1949 :)

Galileo1998
Jan. 30, 2008, 07:33 AM
Which horse holds the world record for 1 3/8 on turf? :)

Glimmerglass
Jan. 30, 2008, 09:38 AM
Coaltown, Edward Burke Handicap, 1949 :)

Correct. Coaltown at Havre de Grace in 1949 in the Edward Burke Handicap

Citation also had a walkover in the 1948 running of the Pimlico Special

Linny
Jan. 30, 2008, 10:00 AM
Which horse holds the world record for 1 3/8 on turf? :)

With Approval. He set the record at Aqueduct!

Galileo1998
Jan. 30, 2008, 08:52 PM
Yes it was With Approval, but no it wasn't at Aqueduct :)

Galileo1998
Jan. 30, 2008, 08:56 PM
There were two Triple Crown winners in the world in 2005 - who were they, and which country's Triple Crown did they each win?

miss_critic
Jan. 30, 2008, 08:56 PM
but no it wasn't at Aqueduct
Belmont!

Drvmb1ggl3
Jan. 30, 2008, 09:07 PM
There were two Triple Crown winners in the world in 2005 - who were they, and which country's Triple Crown did they each win?

Invasor - Uruguay
Deep Impact - Japan

Would have loved to have seen those two go head to head... twice, over 10f on dirt then 12f on grass.

Glimmerglass
Jan. 31, 2008, 01:41 PM
Q: Raced in the last 10 years and as part of my preparation for the Kentucky Derby I was fed in my diet three eggs and a pint of Guinness for breakfast each day. What is my name?

Galileo1998
Jan. 31, 2008, 02:43 PM
Q: Raced in the last 10 years and as part of my preparation for the Kentucky Derby I was fed in my diet three eggs and a pint of Guinness for breakfast each day. What is my name?

Tapit :)

Glimmerglass
Jan. 31, 2008, 03:34 PM
Tapit :)

Correct and hopefully Dickinson was given a few cases for free with all the publicty surrounding it! ESPN 04/30/2004 "Eggs, Guinness help fuel Tapit's Derby bid" (http://espn.go.com/horse/triplecrown04/s/2004/0430/1793102.html)

"Guinness is made with the best malt and barley. It both whets his appetite and provides nutrients. I'm just trying to make life better for the horses and repay them for what they've given to me. They don't do this for the cups or the millions of dollars, they do it because they love it."

Success with that fuel was not found however ...

NYT 5-30-04 "Cliff's Edge And Tapit Out Of Belmont" (http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9907E0DE1F3EF933A05756C0A9629C8B 63)

Tapit finished ninth in the Kentucky Derby, apparently unable to handle a sloppy track.

He worked three-quarters of a mile on Wednesday at Dickinson's training center in Maryland and appeared to be on course for the Belmont, but he tailed off afterward.

''At first, it seemed that he came out of the work O.K., but, for whatever reason, he doesn't seem to be himself,'' said David Fiske, racing manager for Tapit's owner, Ron Winchell.

Fiske said that along with the lung problem, Tapit may be suffering from allergies. ''Michael had a vet come down from Tufts three weeks ago to do some allergy tests, and they tested nine horses,'' Fiske said. ''Tapit was by far the worst of the nine. Apparently, he was hypersensitive to some of the typical things you find around a barn. I have not had an extended conversation with Michael, but he said the horse is not quite right and is not good enough right now to beat Smarty Jones.

Hmmm ... maybe he was allergic to eggs ...

Barnfairy
Feb. 1, 2008, 04:39 PM
Don't let this thread die! I'm finding it very educational!

Name the turf champion, inducted into the Hall of Fame in recent years, who was imported from Chile.

Glimmerglass
Feb. 1, 2008, 06:06 PM
Name the turf champion, inducted into the Hall of Fame in recent years, who was imported from Chile.

Jose Santos :D Just kidding ...

It was Cougar II ( no, not this type of Cougar (http://i.current.com/images/studio/asset/2006/07/20/9932632_400x300.jpg)) and who was trained upon entry into the States by the famed "Bald Eagle" himself - Charlie Whittingham.

Glimmerglass
Feb. 1, 2008, 06:11 PM
With high anticipation ad agency BBDO Worldwide produced a tv spot for Visa congratulating this horse for winning the Triple Crown. It was to be aired as the first spot after he won the Belmont - of course he didn't win and the ad was never seen. Q: Who was the horse?

Barnfairy
Feb. 1, 2008, 06:35 PM
Real Quiet?

Glimmerglass
Feb. 1, 2008, 07:19 PM
Real Quiet?

Nope. Although 'The Fish' did come close, didn't he?

Barnfairy
Feb. 1, 2008, 07:37 PM
My gosh he sure did!

Am I allowed to guess again? I'm thinking it must have been fairly recent, and I have two chestnuts in mind who stirred up a lot of excitement...

vineyridge
Feb. 1, 2008, 07:47 PM
Funnycide?

horselips
Feb. 1, 2008, 07:49 PM
With high anticipation ad agency BBDO Worldwide produced a tv spot for Visa congratulating this horse for winning the Triple Crown. It was to be aired as the first spot after he won the Belmont - of course he didn't win and the ad was never seen. Q: Who was the horse?

Smarty Jones would be my guess

Texarkana
Feb. 1, 2008, 07:59 PM

I want to say it was War Emblem...

pinkdiamondracing
Feb. 1, 2008, 08:19 PM
Smarty Jones

miss_critic
Feb. 1, 2008, 09:13 PM
Silver Charm?

Glimmerglass
Feb. 1, 2008, 10:21 PM
I want to say it was War Emblem...

Correct (http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9D0DE2DF143DF934A35755C0A9649C8B 63)

''We want there to be a winner,'' said Becky Saeger, executive vice president for brand marketing at Visa, based in Foster City, Calif. ''We're hoping, hoping, hoping there will be a winner this year. But we know the odds are against it.''

Actually, late this week, the betting odds were about even that War Emblem, the heavy favorite, would win the Belmont and give racing fans a living legend. (Seattle Slew, who had been the last surviving Triple Crown winner, died last month on the 25th anniversary of his Kentucky Derby victory.)

Visa has been this close -- and a lot closer -- before. War Emblem is the fourth horse in six years to have won the first two legs of the Triple Crown: the Derby and the Preakness Stakes. Four years ago, Real Quiet was nosed out in a race so close it took several minutes for a winner to be declared.

Visa has been running commercials promoting its exclusive acceptance at the Triple Crown tracks, as well as newspaper ads wishing War Emblem well. The company's ad agency, BBDO Worldwide, part of the Omnicom Group, has also produced a spot congratulating War Emblem, which will run immediately after the race if he wins, said Michael Lynch, a senior vice president at Visa.

Worth noting: Visa did run multiple times a promo ad for the Belmont using Funny Cide "...and how the Triple Crown has a funny side .." but they didn't produce a winning one as the odds were against it.

Galileo1998
Feb. 1, 2008, 11:33 PM
Of the last 30 Kentucky Derby winners, how many went through a sales ring prior to winning the Derby for $100,000 or more?

Bonus points for who they are and what they sold for :)

Drvmb1ggl3
Feb. 2, 2008, 12:04 AM
Well, the most obvious one is Fu Peg, who was sold for around $4m in '98 at Keenland.

Glimmerglass
Feb. 2, 2008, 12:06 AM
A certain trainer nicknamed "King of the Fairs" raced a horse in 1963 five times in 8 days in the Berkshires incurring the wrath of the Massachusetts SPCA. Overworked they said he was. Who was the horse and what was his record for the 5-races that raised their ire?

Barnfairy
Feb. 2, 2008, 12:11 AM
A certain trainer nicknamed "King of the Fairs" raced a horse in 1963 five times in 8 days in the Berkshires incurring the wrath of the Massachusetts SPCA. Overworked they said he was. Who was the horse and what was his record for the 5-races that raised their ire?Carlos Figueroa is the trainer, Shannon's Hope was the horse, and he won all 5 races.

"If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all."

Don't say anything, don't say anything, don't say anything........

Glimmerglass
Feb. 2, 2008, 12:21 AM
Carlos Figueroa is the trainer, Shannon's Hope was the horse, and he won all 5 races.

Correct and shockingly is his record (if pedigree query is correct) > 309 Starts: 29 - 36 - 43, $39,848

The note was that his specialty was being a half-miler on the fair circuit

Back in 1963, Figueroa won five races in eight days on the circuit with a horse he trained named Shannon's Hope. Figueroa said the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals came to investigate. ''I told them, 'I run Shannon's Hope short distances, six and a half furlongs, no farther,' '' he said. ''This Paul Revere, he's a hero in Massachusetts, but he ran his horse 26 miles in one night!''

NYT 8-10-01 'Races Make Return to Fairgrounds ' (http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9D06EED6153FF933A2575BC0A9679C8B 63&sec=&spon=&pagewanted=all)

miss_critic
Feb. 2, 2008, 07:55 AM
Back in 'ol '97

Should 'Silver Charm' win Belmont Stakes this Saturday, VISA said yesterday it is prepared to run a special commercial to celebrate the first 'Triple Crown' victory in 19 years. This is the first time VISA will have produced a broadcast spot to instantly congratulate a winner of a sporting event.

In anticipation of a Visa Triple Crown Challenge winner, Visa is producing new advertisements to celebrate the first Triple Crown victory in 19 years. The commercial, which represents the first time Visa has produced a broadcast spot to instantly congratulate a winner of a sporting event, would air immediately after the race on ABC and would be followed by a national print ad on Monday, June 9.

These advertisements follow a commercial that was produced within 48 hours of Silver Charm's victory at the Preakness Stakes, the second leg of the Visa Triple Crown Challenge. That commercial, which debuted during the NBA conference finals on May 24, showcases Silver Charm's victories at the Kentucky Derby and the Preakness.

Linny
Feb. 2, 2008, 09:04 AM
Speaking of ads...

What farm has a series of ads for it's stallions that includes one featuring "swimming sperm?"

Texarkana
Feb. 2, 2008, 11:38 AM
Of the last 30 Kentucky Derby winners, how many went through a sales ring prior to winning the Derby for $100,000 or more?

Bonus points for who they are and what they sold for :)

Monarchos sold for $170,000 as a 2y/o in training to John Oxley. I only know this because that's all the further I got in that dreadful book.

vineyridge
Feb. 2, 2008, 12:25 PM
Weren't the swimming sperm Three Chimneys? Even I saw them on the Triple Crown TB coverage, and Three Chimneys stuck. It was definitely one of the huge breeding operations, and it was not a Makhtoum.

spooked
Feb. 2, 2008, 12:41 PM
Carlos Figueroa is the trainer, Shannon's Hope was the horse, and he won all 5 races.

"If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all."

Don't say anything, don't say anything, don't say anything........

I know what you mean! Great will power though!

spooked
Feb. 2, 2008, 12:42 PM
Name a horse that has won the Kentucky Derby.

miss_critic
Feb. 2, 2008, 02:57 PM
What is the connection between Kim Delaney and Carl Nafzger? They were on stage together presenting an Eclipse Awards.

[I just read about this during the week (hint, you can search through news/blogs this week) and thought it was a little interesting piece of trivia.]

Glimmerglass
Feb. 2, 2008, 04:06 PM
What is the connection between Kim Delaney and Carl Nafzger? They were on stage together presenting an Eclipse Awards.

[I just read about this during the week (hint, you can search through news/blogs this week) and thought it was a little interesting piece of trivia.]

Further hint actress Delaney's brother is also in media but 'behind the scenes' ;)

Linny
Feb. 2, 2008, 04:19 PM
Delaney's brother filmed the famous footage of Carl Nafzger and Mrs Genter as Unbridled won the Derby.

Three Chimney's is correct. I love their ads.

Galileo1998
Feb. 2, 2008, 05:31 PM
Monarchos sold for $170,000 as a 2y/o in training to John Oxley. I only know this because that's all the further I got in that dreadful book.

Ok, Fu Peg and Monarchos are two of them but there are four more :)

vineyridge
Feb. 2, 2008, 07:50 PM
Okay, folks. Here's one I don't know the answer to.
How many winners of the Bluegrass Stakes have gone on to win the Ky. Derby?

My personal recollection is that it has been surprisingly few, but maybe with the time between races, just being in the field at Keeneland is better than actually winning.

Barnfairy
Feb. 2, 2008, 08:35 PM
Ok, Fu Peg and Monarchos are two of them but there are four more :)Winning Colors went for $575,000 through Keeneland.

How many winners of the Bluegrass Stakes have gone on to win the Ky. Derby?I don't know how many either, but I do know that Spectacular Bid and Strike the Gold won both the Blue Grass and the KD.

Name a horse that has won the Kentucky Derby.Just one? I'm gonna have to go with Secretariat. He won it pretty damn good. ;)

Glimmerglass
Feb. 2, 2008, 11:04 PM
How many winners of the Bluegrass Stakes have gone on to win the Ky. Derby?

Several ;)

Winners of the BGS - first run in 1911 but not run at Keeneland until 1937 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Grass_Stakes)

Winners of both include Northern Dancer, Dust Commander, Forward Pass, Riva Ridge, Alydar, Spectacular Bid, and Strike the Gold.

miss_critic
Feb. 3, 2008, 09:30 AM
[QUOTE=Linny;2981535]Delaney's brother filmed the famous footage of Carl Nafzger and Mrs Genter as Unbridled won the Derby.

QUOTE]

Yup.

Neat connection.

miss_critic
Feb. 3, 2008, 09:32 AM
Winners of both include Northern Dancer, Dust Commander, Forward Pass, Riva Ridge, Alydar, Spectacular Bid, and Strike the Gold.

Alydar won the KD? ;)

spooked
Feb. 3, 2008, 09:36 AM
No "horse" has ever won the KD, it was either a colt, filly or gelding.

Barnfairy
Feb. 3, 2008, 09:45 AM
No "horse" has ever won the KD, it was either a colt, filly or gelding.You got me. Ah ha ha.

miss_critic
Feb. 3, 2008, 09:50 AM
Originally Posted by spooked
No "horse" has ever won the KD, it was either a colt, filly or gelding.
Trick question-good one!

Barnfairy
Feb. 4, 2008, 01:56 PM
*Bumping* for the weekday crowd:

We've got Monarchos, Fu Peg, and Winning Colors; still looking for three more.

Barnfairy
Feb. 4, 2008, 01:59 PM
And a simpler one-part question:

In 1988, what champion became the first American horse in over 80 years to retire undefeated?

Linny
Feb. 4, 2008, 02:11 PM
And a simpler one-part question:

In 1988, what champion became the first American horse in over 80 years to retire undefeated?

Personal Ensign

Linny
Feb. 4, 2008, 02:14 PM
*Bumping* for the weekday crowd:

We've got Monarchos, Fu Peg, and Winning Colors; still looking for three more.

Guessing:
Ferdinand
Strike the Gold
Thunder Gulch

Barnfairy
Feb. 4, 2008, 02:45 PM
Personal EnsignRight! One of my faves.

Great account of the 1988 BC Distaff in this link: Personal Ensign (http://horseracing.about.com/library/blpensign.htm)

Glimmerglass
Feb. 4, 2008, 06:21 PM
Q: What was the first US track to install a photo-finish camera? Name the year and track

Galileo1998
Feb. 4, 2008, 08:03 PM
The horses that went through a sales ring for $100,000 or more prior to winning the Kentucky Derby are: Monarchos - $170,000, Fusaichi Pegasus $4,000,000, Silver Charm - $100,000, Go For Gin - $150,000, Winning Colors - $575,000 and Alysheba $500,000.

Glimmerglass
Feb. 5, 2008, 12:34 PM
Q: What was the first US track to install a photo-finish camera? Name the year and track

No takers? Oh come on :)

Another question in the mean time - Spectacular Bid sired just 44 stakes winners (6%) but how many were Grade 1 stakes winners?

Barnfairy
Feb. 5, 2008, 01:24 PM
Q: What was the first US track to install a photo-finish camera? Name the year and trackI have no idea so I'm going to take a wild stab on both: 1930, Churchill Downs.

Barnfairy
Feb. 5, 2008, 01:25 PM
Another question in the mean time - Spectacular Bid sired just 44 stakes winners (6%) but how many were Grade 1 stakes winners?Guessing: one (Spectacular Love.)

Texarkana
Feb. 5, 2008, 01:33 PM

I actually did know this at one time, as it was in another book I read. I am 100% sure it is a NY track, but that's all I can remember.

Guess-- I'm going to say Belmont in 1935?

Glimmerglass
Feb. 5, 2008, 01:44 PM
Guessing: one (Spectacular Love.)

A rather good guess I must say ;) Correct - the sole G1 victory was 1984's Belmont Futurity (today its a Grade 2 race) won by Spectacular Love (1982 - 2004) with Laffit Pincay Jr. up.

Glimmerglass
Feb. 5, 2008, 01:45 PM
I actually did know this at one time, as it was in another book I read. I am 100% sure it is a NY track, but that's all I can remember.

Are you sure about that? ;)

Texarkana
Feb. 5, 2008, 01:48 PM
Are you sure about that? ;)

I guess not. ;)

Now I cheated and googled it.

texang73
Feb. 5, 2008, 02:12 PM
Don't know the answer to the photo finish camera question, but I have a question for y 'all:

What was the name of the first legal racecourse in Houston, Texas? How long was it in business and why did it close?

Glimmerglass
Feb. 5, 2008, 02:46 PM

Bay Meadows Race Course, San Mateo, CA (http://www.ntra.com/content.aspx?type=news&id=30711) - among the achivements

1 - It is the longest-running track in California in continuous operation, remaining open even during World War II.

2 - Bay Meadows in 1934 became the first track to install a photo-finish camera

3 - In 1939 became the first track to use an electric all-enclosed starting gate

4 - Bill Shoemaker began his career galloping horses at Bay Meadows in 1948 and earned his first stakes victory there in 1949.

5 - The totalizer board was installed there first

Additional claim (http://search.cityguide.aol.com/sanfrancisco/entertainment/bay-meadows-racecourse/v-100989776) to fame (although it could be questionable) is the introduction of the daily double wager.

Glimmerglass
Feb. 5, 2008, 02:56 PM
I'll put out our own daily double trivia :D

The California-based race horse El Lobo was part of history - what was it and when?

Second and unrelated to the former trivia question:

The concept of the trifecta wager was introduced at what track and when? The answer may just be a large surprise.

Glimmerglass
Feb. 6, 2008, 12:27 AM
tick, tock, tick, tock ....

Galileo1998
Feb. 6, 2008, 05:57 AM
I'll put out our own daily double trivia :D

The California-based race horse El Lobo was part of history - what was it and when?

El Lobo, along with Featherfoot were the first Thoroughbreds to fly on a plane, on October 22nd 1945. El Lobo then won the Berlingame Handicap at Bay Meadows on October 27th 1945.

Glimmerglass
Feb. 6, 2008, 10:52 AM
El Lobo, along with Featherfoot were the first Thoroughbreds to fly on a plane, on October 22nd 1945. El Lobo then won the Bulingame Handicap at Bay Meadows on October 27th 1945.

Correct! Although I didn't know he was accompanied by another horse - interesting to know.

El Lobo was flown from Los Angeles by his owner, country and western entertainer Carl Stuart Hamblem (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/HH/fhafq.html), to contest the Burlingame Handicap. The plane (part of the famed 'Flying Tigers Airlines') landed in the Bay Meadows parking lot and then taxied up to the Grandstand entrance where El Lobo was unloaded.

Some sources say he flew back to LA the same day he flew in and won the race. El Lobo was nicknamed "The Flying Horse" the day after the race.