PDA

View Full Version : This article makes me want to stand up and cheer!

Barnfairy
Jan. 16, 2008, 12:17 PM
From a recent opinion piece in the Blood-Horse, written by Robert Laurence, entitled Feisty (http://opinions.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=43155):

Let me tell you about our Thoroughbred. Feisty, by Acaroid, out of Some One Finer, by Lord Rebeau. It would be generous to call her pedigree “modest.” Sure, she has some fine ancestors several generations back, but what Thoroughbred doesn’t? She was foaled in Florida in January 1991. She stands 16.2 and is a hard-keeper. Her official description is “dkb/br,” but she’s as black as a Thoroughbred gets. She has one white hind heel and the tips of her tail, mane and forelock are coppery in the winter light....

While Feisty never raced, she produced two foals, by respectable sires, who did. Feisty Vick, a gelding by Vicksburg, and Feisty Connie, a filly by Connecticut...Connie was off the board four times at Prairie Meadows, and then disappeared, her fate unknown. Who knows? Maybe someone will read her name here and contact us. We have a stall waiting for her.

For that, you see, is what this little story is about. Not about Feisty herself, a dkb/br barren mare whose name will never again appear in The Blood-Horse, nor about her commonplace offspring. It’s about us, and the others like us, who take the old runners and their dams into retirement. We’re not a formal retirement facility. We’re not a 501(c)(3). We don’t frequent the auctions to buy and place the low-end horses. All those folks do good work, but we’re smaller.

There are lots of us out there, but we need lots more. Have a look at the tan pages of this magazine, not at the fancy yearling and 2-year-old sales, but at the regional mixed sales. You can buy a pregnant mare these days for a few hundred dollars. And now that the slaughterhouses are closed, these broodmares need homes. If there’s anything worse for a horse than standing in a feed lot next to a slaughterhouse (and we think there is not), then it’s being neglected in a dry lot.

Maybe you should think about buying one of these gals. Don’t worry about her pedigree or conformation. It’s the ordinary mares that need homes, if you’ve got the time and the room. And the money. Because, of course, the purchase price will only be the first of the expenses. There will be vet bills and feed, shots and farriers, supplements and sutures, blankets and Epsom salts, Coggins tests and leg wraps, mineralized salt, syringes, and a new stock tank when the old one starts to leak. And what’s the return on your investment?

Abidjan, née Feisty, will explain it to you.

Retirement is part of this industry. Kudos to the Blood-Horse for recognizing that in printing this article.

ASB Stars
Jan. 16, 2008, 12:20 PM
Wonderful, wonderful!! Thanks for posting that !! :yes:

mbj
Jan. 16, 2008, 12:21 PM
thanks for sharing this!

texang73
Jan. 16, 2008, 12:24 PM
GREAT article!

elly
Jan. 16, 2008, 12:29 PM
Well, Miss Millie and Miss Lillie, our two retired TB broodmares have explained it to us and we are grateful for having had the chance to take them in -

Thanks for posting it -

Elly

I'm EBO
Jan. 16, 2008, 03:02 PM
This article, and the news about what "happened" to Sabertooth, give me hope for humankind--which is pretty hard to find some days.

Beezer
Jan. 16, 2008, 03:34 PM
Isn't it a great commentary? :) Since everyone on the thread feels the same, you really, really should go to the Bloodhorse site (www.bloodhorse.com), click on the article -- it's at the bottom of the page -- and then send an appreciative email to the editor.

I did, and got a nice email back. :yes:

I truly believe that if we want more of the "mainstream" (and by that I mean the racing industry) TB publishing houses to pay attention to the later lives of TBs, we need to heartily encourage them when they publish articles we enjoy. :)

Barnfairy
Jan. 16, 2008, 03:49 PM
Good idea -- thank you for that Beezer.

Robertlaurence
Feb. 29, 2008, 03:03 PM
I just found my way, with a little help, to this forum, and I am happy to find that several people wrote that they liked the little article about Feisty, whom we call "Abidjan." It was a fun article to write, and she's a fun horse to be around. She makes us feel appreciated every day. Well, sure, she has her fussy days, but even on those she makes me smile.

Thanks again for your reactions.

Robert Laurence
Hindsville, Arkansas

texang73
Feb. 29, 2008, 03:38 PM
It is a great article! I wish more people were like you with their TBs!

Equus34
Mar. 7, 2008, 09:34 AM
what a great article, thanks for sharing.

WindyIsles
Mar. 7, 2008, 11:18 AM
:yes: Great great article.

summerhorse
Mar. 7, 2008, 05:25 PM
I just found my way, with a little help, to this forum, and I am happy to find that several people wrote that they liked the little article about Feisty, whom we call "Abidjan." It was a fun article to write, and she's a fun horse to be around. She makes us feel appreciated every day. Well, sure, she has her fussy days, but even on those she makes me smile.

Thanks again for your reactions.

Robert Laurence
Hindsville, Arkansas

Thanks for writing it and for stepping up to the plate. There are so many people out there who just have one or two retired horses and can't afford more but there are just more horses than there are those willing to give them a retirement.

What is really sad is when these horses have earned a lot of money for other people but the person who gives them a retirement usually made little or no money off them and get no help from those that did.