PDA

View Full Version : Northern Dancer sons?

ASB Stars
Jan. 15, 2008, 03:34 PM
Out of curiosity- how many Northern Dancer sons are still actively standing stud. As in, available for breeding, and actually settling mares?

I know Dixieland Band, who is 28 this year, is at Lane's End- and standing for 50K. Any others?

TIA! :yes:

Texarkana
Jan. 15, 2008, 03:54 PM
Ask and you shall receive....

http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/stallion-directory/search_results.aspx?&sf6=northern%20dancer

Not many left in the USA at all, and only 2 with advertised stud fee-- Dixieland Band and Adbass.

Hope this helps!

ASB Stars
Jan. 15, 2008, 04:42 PM
Thanks- it is just curiosity. I broke some babies by Blythe Bard- a grandson, I believe, MANY years ago... :lol:

Linny
Jan. 15, 2008, 08:53 PM
I saw a horse in the Form the other day that was o/o a Northern Dancer mare. They must be pretty rare as well.

ejm
Jan. 16, 2008, 10:31 AM
The Blood-Horse site (www.stallionregister.com) shows three more:
Night Shift - Coolmore Stud, IRE, 15,000 Euros
Sadler's Wells - Coolmore Stud, IRE, Private
Shotiche - Boehlke Farm, MN, Private

Daughters of Northern Dancer are getting quite rare, too. His last foals were born in 1988, so his youngest daughters would be in their 20s.

DeeThbd
Jan. 16, 2008, 01:32 PM
Out of curiosity- how many Northern Dancer sons are still actively standing stud. As in, available for breeding, and actually settling mares?

I know Dixieland Band, who is 28 this year, is at Lane's End- and standing for 50K. Any others?

TIA! :yes:

I LOVED a gelding by Dixieland Band.....had I known that I WOULD end up with a second horse, I would have taken him in a second....as his trainer said, the fact that she sold him for $400 (bad sesamoid) tells me where he likely ended up. What a BEAUTIFUL mind he had, and a beautiful horse to look at too!
Dee

Barnfairy
Jan. 16, 2008, 03:46 PM
Brisnet's Stallion Directory still has 97 Northern Dancer sons listed; unfortunately many of those stallions have in fact died, however, there are quite a few born in the 80's that I could not confirm living/dead. A partial list: Centauress, Obligato, Northern Symphony, Thorn Dance, Court Dance, Trapeze Dancer, and Son of Repute.

AdAblurr02
Jan. 16, 2008, 03:52 PM
Ask and you shall receive....

http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/stallion-directory/search_results.aspx?&sf6=northern%20dancer

Not many left in the USA at all, and only 2 with advertised stud fee-- Dixieland Band and Adbass.

I hope Adbass* is doing well! He's a grand horse, a real lovebug and a good producer who never got the chance to get the book he deserved due to his first owner.

We raised two Adbass* foals, full brothers, both are outstanding - and completely different from one another!

Linny
Jan. 16, 2008, 04:35 PM
The winner of the 8th at AQU today was Hurrah, by Pulpit X Wild Applause by ND.
Too bad none of his sons was more successful (on the track) here in the US.

Avra
Jan. 16, 2008, 06:31 PM
We have a Northern Dancer broodmare :) She's 25 (born in 1983) and she had a healthy live foal last year but slipped this year and so is thankfully going to be retired. She's very much a grand old lady, though, and still going strong.

ejm
Jan. 17, 2008, 10:46 AM
<<Too bad none of his sons was more successful (on the track) here in the US.>>

Well, Northern Dancer did lead the North American general sire list in 1971, and rank among the leading U.S. sires by number of U.S. stakes winners, average earnings per runner and average earnings per start on more than one occasion, and it takes more than just good fillies to put up those numbers.

So many of his best colts were either bred by owners who raced in Europe (El Gran Senor, Nureyev, Sadler's Wells, etc.) or sold at auction and raced exclusively in Europe (Nijinsky, The Minstrel, Secreto, Shareef Dancer, Storm Bird, Northern Baby, etc.), which makes his North American record even more impressive.

His US-raced colts included Hero's Honor (homebred for Paul Mellon), multiple G1 winner of nearly $500,000, Herat, G2 SW of $771,415 and 2nd in the G1 Santa Anita H., Dixieland Band (homebred for Bayard Sharp), multiple G2 winner of over $440,000 who defeated classic winner Caveat as a 2yo), Canadian champion and multiple US SW One For All ($349,205), Belmont Park graded SW Glow ($344,392), Belmont/Aqueduct graded SW Dance Spell ($326,090), True North ($308,073), and Jim Dandy S. winner Music of Time (another Mellon homebred, I think).

Please note - most of these horses raced from the late 60's through the mid-80's when a $100,000 stakes race was HUGE money, and their earnings would easily be at least double or triple at today's purse figures (for example, the Jim Dandy S. was a $35,000-added Grade 3 when Music of Time won it). Also, a lot of them won races that are major graded stakes today but raced before stakes were graded.

He also sired Canadian champions Northernette ($404,914, Top Flight H-G1, etc.), Giboulee (G3, & 2nd Flamingo H-G1, etc), Fanfreluche (Alabama S, etc.), Lauries Dancer (Alabama S, etc), Nice Dancer (G3), Dance In Time, Viceregal, and Dance Act, plus such top fillies as Alma North ($513,597, Matchmaker S.-G1, etc), Dance Number ($415,418, Beldame S-G1, etc), Savannah Dancer ($360,600, Del Mar Oaks-G2, etc.), Larida ($328,319, Orchid H-G2, etc), White Star Line ($256,780, Alabama S-G1, Kentucky Oaks-G1, etc), Spit Curl ($255,639, Alabama S-G1, etc), and the aforementioned Wild Applause ($240,136, Diana H-G2, etc.).

woodlandcollies
Jan. 19, 2008, 06:22 PM
Hi!!!

We had the stallion Starry night direct son from northern dancer.
He dies last winter from colic and it was sutch a shame. He was 23 years old.
He had breed a lot of winners here in our little country. He was the most expensive horse importede to Denmark at this time when he came.

So we can only say we miss him a lot:cry:

alexbrown4
Jan. 20, 2008, 02:40 PM
did drysdale train thorn dance ? i think i might have galloped him :) cheers, alex

Brisnet's Stallion Directory still has 97 Northern Dancer sons listed; unfortunately many of those stallions have in fact died, however, there are quite a few born in the 80's that I could not confirm living/dead. A partial list: Centauress, Obligato, Northern Symphony, Thorn Dance, Court Dance, Trapeze Dancer, and Son of Repute.