PDA

View Full Version : Take Ten!- Your picks of the 3 y/o crop

SteeleRdr
Jan. 14, 2008, 04:50 PM
Well to bring this forum back to its purpose, to be about racing (LOTS of ID and OTTB talk here lately), I was wondering about everyone's opinions on this years 3 y/o crop.

I just got an e-mail about ST-Publishings Take Ten! which is a fantasty stable for 3 y/o's on the TC track. In reading, I realized, I really don't know many 3 y/o's this year! I knew a lot last year, and most every year previous.

So who are you favorites, and who do you think will be on the TC track come May??

BTW- here is the site for those who want to register:
http://www.st-publishing.com/taketen/details.html

Glimmerglass
Jan. 14, 2008, 05:02 PM
Funny I just got this email too and thought it would be a good bit of fun. Looks like SteeleRdr beat me to it!

SteeleRdr
Jan. 14, 2008, 05:58 PM
Haha, yeah my e-mail stays open all day at work, so I was on top of the e-mail when it came in.

So, were there any 3 y/o's that made a splash as 2 y/o's in your mind Glimmer?

Glimmerglass
Jan. 14, 2008, 07:36 PM
So, were there any 3 y/o's that made a splash as 2 y/o's in your mind Glimmer?

The thread "Your Picks for 2008 Derby?" (or something like that) sheds some light on would be contenders to date. I'm sure a horse like War Pass - short of an injury - will be breaking from a post at Churchill come May 3rd.

It really does get tough weeding out the contenders from pretenders so soon. It's been a long time since I've seen a credible runner at Saratoga (at 2) being the powerhouse going into the Derby.

If Bob Baffert had sent out Maimonides in the San Rafael,at Santa Anita we would've known if he was still a possible star or not. Btw what ever happened to the Zaya/Baffert impressive 2-yr old J Be K?

Pyro is consistently on a lot of lists top 10 lists although I'm not seeing it. Broke his maiden at Churchill, finished 3rd in an allowance at Spa, 2nd in the Champagne at Spa, then over a wretched Jersey track he took a distant 2nd in the BC Jv. Yep a consistent runner but not exactly wowing me.

Pick 10 3-year-olds, two trainers and two jockeys for your stable.

With trainers if someone didn't put in Bill Mott they'd obviously be out of the loop as to TB racing. If the volume of scores he had with 2-yr old talent carries through into the spring then he'll have more starters then Todd Pletcher or even Nick Zito.

Folks should just take a shot and create their fantasy stable :) Obviously those horses who are going to be lightly raced before the Derby will have less chances to earn points ...

miss_critic
Jan. 14, 2008, 09:04 PM
Oh fabulous! Thanks for sharing. This will certainly make me do some studying. Picking 10 will be hard at this point...I'll check out the site tomorrow, but to be clear, you can't change them once you pick them?

Glimmerglass
Jan. 18, 2008, 11:06 AM
Just a reminder to keep thinking about this ... ;)

miss_critic
Jan. 18, 2008, 11:53 AM
Are you guys using using COTH names so we can have a little fun watching each other?

SteeleRdr
Jan. 18, 2008, 01:26 PM
Nah, I submitted mine and just created a stable name. I could have used my barn's name, but I wanted something more creative that sounded like a racing barn.

They will also post names with stables (If it's anything like the "pick six" for the steeplechasing, which I can't wait for to start!!!)

Maybeapril
Jan. 18, 2008, 03:27 PM
Okay I just signed up and did my picks so, where can I see my stable? Anybody know? Or do I just sit back and watch for emails?

SteeleRdr
Jan. 18, 2008, 03:34 PM
I assume ST is running it just like they did the Pick Six. They'll have your stable up soon. I guess around the closing date, Jan 30, they'll have all the stables up and they'll start ranking them.

Maybeapril
Jan. 18, 2008, 03:44 PM
This is exciting!

Glimmerglass
Jan. 25, 2008, 09:30 AM
The cutoff date is drawing closer ...

http://www.st-publishing.com/taketen/details.html

I'll use my same user name in this contest ;)

miss_critic
Jan. 27, 2008, 10:47 AM
Ok, me too! But don't laugh when I bomb!!!!!!! I just need to do this quick before I forget.

Glimmerglass
Jan. 28, 2008, 06:11 PM
The folks at The Steeplechase Times (putting on this contest for fun) have provided a neat handy cheat sheet of would-be competitors.

Its a nice resource at this point in time covering almost every contender for the Kentucky Derby with at least one remark:

ST-Publishing (PDF format) Derby Analysis (http://www.st-publishing.com/taketen/Derby_Analysis.pdf)

Texarkana
Jan. 28, 2008, 10:26 PM
I submitted mine. I hated to do it before the deadline, but I figured I wouldn't have time between now and then. Although with my luck, my whole stable will probably injure themselves by Thursday.

I used my COTH name, so please try not to laugh too hard when you see me at the bottom of the rankings! :lol:

miss_critic
Jan. 28, 2008, 10:43 PM
I submitted mine.....I used my COTH name

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SteeleRdr
Jan. 28, 2008, 10:45 PM
Oh don't worry, I picked mine last week, so I'm sure I'll be near the bottom. I know MUCH more about 'chasers than flat track horses!

pinkdiamondracing
Jan. 29, 2008, 09:07 PM
I posted mine too and used my COTH name-- which is also my user name for a lot of things-- this will be fun to watch and participate in!! We can have a little for COTHers only contest amongst ourselves :yes::yes:

miss_critic
Jan. 29, 2008, 09:14 PM
I agree! But what can we do amoungst ourselves? Bragging rights?

I really wish I would have had this to read BEFORE I made my picks!!!
http://racing.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=43400

Glimmerglass
Jan. 30, 2008, 09:54 AM
I really wish I would have had this to read BEFORE I made my picks!

Here is another I really wish I had seen before my picks were made Friday!

Dallas/FtWorth Star Telegram 1-27-08 "101 Horses with Triple Crown Potential" (http://www.star-telegram.com/horse_racing/story/434532.html)

and why is that?

Well I didn't know the following below, for example, which would've dropped him from my list.

36. Etched: "The Nashua winner would be among the leaders, but he's taking the Dubai road"

Texarkana
Jan. 30, 2008, 10:04 AM
This list was extremely helpful for me picking my 10:

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080127/SPORTS08/80127004/1002/SPORTS

Although when you see my 10, you're all going to scratch your heads and wonder if I have a drug problem. :lol:

miss_critic
Jan. 30, 2008, 12:20 PM
Well I didn't know the following below, for example, which would've dropped him from my list.

Sorry, but thats kind of funny :)

Glimmerglass
Jan. 30, 2008, 12:42 PM
Sorry, but thats kind of funny :)

Indeed I'll shelve that right next to the after-the-fact (to me that is) disclosure of "everyone knows Dylan Thomas hates soft ground" just before the Breeders' Cup when I had a nice big score with a pick-3 going.

miss_critic
Jan. 30, 2008, 09:04 PM
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Yeah, everybody knew THAT!

Hey, in the weeks to follow, in case some of us get distracted, can anybody who is on the ball alert us that a race in our contest is running in the upcoming weekend?

Texarkana
Jan. 31, 2008, 04:12 PM
Tick tock tick tock...

The deadline is fast approaching with less than 6 hours to go.

Anyone else in?

So far it looks this is the COTH crowd:

SteeleRdr
Maybeapril
miss_critic
Glimmerglass
pinkdiamondracing
and myself

This should be fun to watch!

Glimmerglass
Jan. 31, 2008, 04:27 PM
What is interesting is that its so extremely wide open. Points are developed by finishes in select races so really at the end of the day it isn't so much the Kentucky Derby but the road to it which will vault someone ahead.

War Pass for example might only race in two prep races before the First Saturday in May. He doesn't need the money and all Zito needs to confirmation he's good at 1 1/4mi and still have that fight in him.

A horse like Ferragamo (trained by Larry Jones 3 2-0-0) has no graded earnings so you know he'll have to have at least three if not four starts to get the money to go in.

Someone could move up the ranks quickly as the Robert Lewis Stakes is one of the first races part of the game. Reflect Times (John Shirreffs trained) already 2-2 but off the radar is a possible starter.

Maybeapril
Jan. 31, 2008, 05:20 PM
I think that I signed up as Dogwood Meadows.
So look for me under that name. This should be fun.

miss_critic
Feb. 3, 2008, 09:04 AM
I am not finding info on the ST webpage about this other than signing up. Anybody else find anything?

Glimmerglass
Feb. 4, 2008, 10:36 AM
I am not finding info on the ST webpage about this other than signing up. Anybody else find anything?

Ditto - I went to the main page and while the contest is on the left side (http://www.st-publishing.com/st-times/index.php) it doesn't go to a standings page yet ... I know that I didn't gain anything from this past weekend and having Cave's Valley in my stable will only hurt me more.

Texarkana
Feb. 4, 2008, 10:52 AM
Well, I'm in no rush to see the standings now, haha. While I faired okay this weekend, my non-horse saavy significant other created a stable with the sole purpose of crushing me. He randomly plunked names he liked off the "cheat sheet" they provided.

We both had Crown of Thorns, but he also had Richard Mandella. I think he had Barrier Reef, too. Beginners luck... :lol:

miss_critic
Feb. 4, 2008, 10:16 PM
I am guessing everybody got the email from Brian Nadeau today. I emailed him back asking if they were going to put our stables up so everybody can see (primarily because the idiot that I am, I didn't write my picks down and I forgot who all I had.). I also mentioned to him I forgot my picks.

Brian was really nice and emailed me back. Thought I would share the response since I am sure it interests you all. Without even asking him for it, he gave me my list. Oh, and he identified who was running this weekend. Not many people are that kind these days!

Unfortunately, as it turns out, I did pick Caves Valley:(

Hi,thanks for entering the contest. Right now it’s just too difficult to put everyone’s stable online for all to see, but I’d like to do maybe a top 10 or something once the contest gets going.

I’ll list your stable below and let me know if you have any questions...thanks again...

Texarkana
Feb. 4, 2008, 10:26 PM
Unfortunately, as it turns out, I did pick Court Vision :(

Wait... what? Why is that deserving of a frown? Did I miss something today? He's still aiming for the Fountain of Youth, right? Or is he injured? Or on the road to Dubai? :lol:

miss_critic
Feb. 4, 2008, 10:33 PM
:dead::dead::dead:

I am picking a stable for another thing that somebody suggested today and I am going through EVERY SINGLE horse-all the names are looking the same.... That said, what I MEANT to say was CAVES VALLEY.

Texarkana
Feb. 4, 2008, 10:36 PM
:dead::dead::dead:

I am picking a stable for another thing that somebody suggested today and I am going through EVERY SINGLE horse-all the names are looking the same.... That said, what I MEANT to say was CAVES VALLEY.

Haha, you about gave me a heart attack! I thought something had happened to my derby pick. :lol:

That's pretty cool he sent you the info, though. Two thumbs up for him!

Glimmerglass
Feb. 5, 2008, 12:44 AM
Well, I'm in no rush to see the standings now, haha.

What is seemingly different compared to last year is just how W I D E O P E N the whole chase for a starting gate position in Churchill is right now. Everyone could make a case for a few dozen horses getting there.

That's why even though they are are starting the 1st future wager pool this Thurs - Sun (http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/racing-news/2008/February/04/Kentucky-Derby-Kentucky-Oaks-future-wagers-open-Thursday.aspx) there is almost no logic in jumping in now. Unless you can get War Pass at 15-1 :)

Yes, I do know that it's only a $2 bet for win only so to spend $10 means picking 5 good names but I'm looking at it from the logic.

Last year I picked up Nobiz Like Shobiz at somethling like 10-1 in the 1st pool and then Teuflesberg in the 2nd pool at some super long odds (I think 50-1) in the futures. Sure neither finished in the money in the KY Derby, but at least both were starters and solid contenders.

This year I'm rather hesitant until I see a lot of the big names running in another prep race before wagering. We still don't know if Majestic Warrior or War Pass are the same horses (or better) then they were in 2007 not to mention a lot of meaningless buzz for horses who have only broken their maiden ....

Texarkana
Feb. 6, 2008, 09:43 AM
The first week standings are officially up:

http://www.st-publishing.com/special/#

(click the first link under "Latest From The Special")

And congrats to one of our very own for being on top after Brian!

But rest assured, I'm not playing for any prizes so our official leader is Pat Ness' "Bag End Farm." Pat scored with the big three out west as well and looks to be in good shape down the road.

Congrats Pat!

My non-racing fan boyfriend is sitting at #3 on the list (Bittersweet Stables). I think I might not mention that to him. :lol:

Glimmerglass
Feb. 6, 2008, 10:10 AM
Holly Cow! Bag End Farm at $387k already!! Wow, wow! Kudos on the picks

I'm already struggling at a fraction of that: Glimmerglass LLC > $44,090

My wife's stable is about $10k further behind that ;)

One question - is there a means to check the picks submitted? I did a hard copy print out but if I was to lose that does anyone know if there's any way to see the stable details on-line?

sopha
Feb. 6, 2008, 10:19 AM
Drat. I wish I had seen this before today! I would have Barrier Reef on my list. I am a TVG addict and saw him win the maiden special weight at Aqueduct and I was in love! He did everything wrong (green mistakes) and then he said "Oh you want me to win the race." Then zoom, he was the winner. He ran 4th in the Count Fleet and then won the Whirlaway last weekend. My poor husband has to duke it out with me for the remote-- Golf Channel vs. TVG- All pony all the time wins hands down!

miss_critic
Feb. 6, 2008, 11:42 AM
One question - is there a means to check the picks submitted? I did a hard copy print out but if I was to lose that does anyone know if there's any way to see the stable details on-line?

See the email reply from Bryan I posted above.

I am just happy I got points!!!! But I need to read up on how I got those points!

Maybeapril
Feb. 6, 2008, 01:08 PM
Well i'm at 58,000 not so bad just glad i'm not last:D. I do wish that we could see our picks since I did not write mine down either. I guess I will email them and ask for my list.

miss_critic
Feb. 6, 2008, 08:21 PM
Are we allowed to tease people in a light hearted way about this contest?

Glimmerglass
Feb. 10, 2008, 08:48 PM
Not having Pyro or Z Fortune in my stable certainly didn't help me this weekend :)

SteeleRdr
Feb. 10, 2008, 09:58 PM
I so can't remember who I had, thought I believe I had Z Fortune.

Texarkana
Feb. 10, 2008, 11:03 PM
I didn't have Pyro, or any horse in the Risen Star for that matter. And I didn't rack up any points any jocks or trainers either. :(

I did have Into Mischief in today for a 2nd.

My dear, sweet SO had Pyro, Rafael Bejarano, and Dick Mandella for a 2nd. I'm thinking he'll still be near the top of the rankings when Brian tallies up the points.

I'm never going to hear the end of this... :lol:

miss_critic
Feb. 10, 2008, 11:48 PM
Don't worry, you'll catch up, we hope :)

I had Pyro and Blackberry Road and Gomez yesterday. I guess I'll get some for Gomez today too. Did anybody have Georgie Boy??

Mrs. Smith
Feb. 11, 2008, 10:50 AM
Btw what ever happened to the Zaya/Baffert impressive 2-yr old J Be K?

I just saw this:

http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/racing-news/2008/February/10/Zayat-removes-horses-from-Bafferts-barn.aspx

Glimmerglass
Feb. 11, 2008, 11:16 AM
I just saw this:

http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/racing-news/2008/February/10/Zayat-removes-horses-from-Bafferts-barn.aspx

Ah "Et tu Brute?"

Zayat is a really classy guy, isn't he? Boy the sport just needs more owners like him. Not!

He's always had a beef with So. Cal tracks and switching to synthetics, right? So with that said he should've MOVED his stable to FLORIDA long ago. Was that hard to understand? Beating up on Bob Baffert and always taking a jab at Del Mar now Santa Anita just will come back (hopefully) and bite Zayat where it hurts someday.

So we'll look for this first outting in 2008 by a promising Saratoga runner:

J Be K is entered in a six-furlong allowance race on Thursday at Fair Grounds for Asmussen.

miss_critic
Feb. 11, 2008, 12:13 PM
When did he beat up on Baffert?

Glimmerglass
Feb. 11, 2008, 12:36 PM
When did he beat up on Baffert?

I view gutting an entire fleet of would-be star horses to another trainer because Santa Anita can't get their act together as a slap to Bob. If Bob made the statement in conjunction indicating they mutually felt that trainers based elseshere would work so be it.

It's not like Bob can't ship horses to ANY track in the US. Who else oversaw Zayat's horses shipped overnight from Del Mar to Saratoga? So why does suddenly Zayat take his horses and scatter them to trainers in all directions?

Frankly I think dropping more Derby potential horses into Mott's barn doesn't work.

Texarkana
Feb. 11, 2008, 01:23 PM
I view gutting an entire fleet of would-be star horses to another trainer because Santa Anita can't get their act together as a slap to Bob. If Bob made the statement in conjunction indicating they mutually felt that trainers based elseshere would work so be it.

It's not like Bob can't ship horses to ANY track in the US. Who else oversaw Zayat's horses shipped overnight from Del Mar to Saratoga? So why does suddenly Zayat take his horses and scatter them to trainers in all directions?

Frankly I think dropping more Derby potential horses into Mott's barn doesn't work.

While it's a slap in the face any time an owner pulls talented horses, I really can't fault Zayat in this instance. If anything, it's a bigger slap in the face to all of California when a large stable doesn't want any of its horses prepping in your races.

And I don't think he's scattering his horses in all directions. He already had horses prepping with Mott, Romans, and Asmussen. If anything, he's consolidating from four trainers down to three trainers. And you know what? The horses with those three trainers are a lot further along in their progress than the ones with Baffert...

Zayat is not my favorite guy, but I don't think this move was anything but logical.

And, while shipping from CA to prep is certainly feasible, it's hardly practical. Especially when you have multiple horses you want to keep apart.

Pat Ness
Feb. 12, 2008, 01:35 PM
[/QUOTE]
Congrats Pat!

My non-racing fan boyfriend is sitting at #3 on the list (Bittersweet Stables). I think I might not mention that to him. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Well then that puts two basically nonracing people at the top!!!! I am so not a handicapper that my picks were ALL done by name of horse.

Maybeapril
Feb. 13, 2008, 11:09 AM
Week 2 standings are up...FYI I'm at 358,000 :cool: Very happy about that!
What about everybody else?

Texarkana
Feb. 13, 2008, 11:14 AM
I'm waaaaay at the bottom now. :lol:

I'm considering emailing Brian, though, as my points aren't adding up right. Not that it would make a huge difference...

miss_critic
Feb. 13, 2008, 11:35 AM
At first I though that Tex and Glim's scores werent up but then I realized I had so scroll down TO THE BOTTOM. hahahahahaha
just kidding- :)

Does Pinkdiamondracing get the award for biggest jump in a week? Holy Cow!

What makes you think they aren't adding up? Just curious. I'm not even paying attention to that. I am smack in the middle so I am ok with that.

Texarkana
Feb. 13, 2008, 11:43 AM
At first I though that Tex and Glim's scores werent up but then I realized I had so scroll down TO THE BOTTOM. hahahahahaha
just kidding- :)

Does Pinkdiamondracing get the award for biggest jump in a week? Holy Cow!

What makes you think they aren't adding up? Just curious. I'm not even paying attention to that. I am smack in the middle so I am ok with that.

If Pinkdiamondracing gets the biggest jump forward, I surely deserve the biggest jump backwards! :lol:

According to my tally, I'm 3,000 points short from this weekend. I should have gotten 30,000 for Into Mischief's 2nd according to equibase. But my score is only 27,000 higher. Doesn't really matter though. If I end up losing by 3,000 points, maybe I'll complain. :winkgrin:

Glimmerglass
Feb. 13, 2008, 12:04 PM
Anyone have the direct link? I'm not seeing any updates ....

miss_critic
Feb. 13, 2008, 12:16 PM
Sure, see the right hand side.

http://www.st-publishing.com/special/

I just wanted to add....I went through and added up my earnings for this past weekend (only) and I can't for the life of me figure out how they came up with those points, unless there were errors in tehir week 1 math as I havent added those up.

Can somebody confirm, Desormeaux was not in any of the races last weekend, correct?

Glimmerglass
Feb. 13, 2008, 12:24 PM
Thanks! I'm languishing behind until the prep races in the Northeast heat up ;)

Texarkana
Feb. 13, 2008, 04:33 PM
Thanks! I'm languishing behind until the prep races in the Northeast heat up ;)

Well then you and I are both very lucky that it looks like the NYRA and the state have struck a deal. :yes:

I was sweating bullets earlier this week at the thought of Aqueduct possibly being shutdown indefinitely.

Maybeapril
Feb. 19, 2008, 05:46 PM
Week three standings are up. I am so mad at myself for not having Dennis of Cork. I was so close to putting him on my list and then didn't.:(
Still doing pretty good though 473,250.

Texarkana
Feb. 19, 2008, 06:59 PM
Wow, they changed the site since this morning and I am not intelligent enough to find the week 3 standings. :lol:

Anyone have a direct link?

miss_critic
Feb. 19, 2008, 08:37 PM
When I got home from work, I opened up the site and it was the old site and week 3 standings were there. I came here for about 1 minute and went back to see where other COTHERS were and within that minute the website had changed and the week 3 wasn't there.

Sooner Schooner
Feb. 20, 2008, 08:50 AM
Hi all...someone sent me this link about the 'Take Ten!' discussion and I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for playing and for some kind words along the way in regards to the contest and my Derby analysis!

As some have noticed we updated our website last night and for some reason the Week 3 standings got lost. Our website designer is actually coming in this morning and she is going to give us the ins and outs so I will find wherever they went and re-post them soon.

Also, it looks like the contest now has it's own little section, and you can find it on the left-hand side under the "The Special Menu." This excites me, as now it will be easy to find everything and it will keep everything neat and tidy.

A few mentioned errors in scoring and I'm quite sure everyone is right and I am wrong, so please, please let me know if there are any errors so I can update them. You never know, the smallest amount can make the biggest difference.

Please feel free to email me with any questions or concerns, or any changes you think might need to be made in the future, as this contest came about at the last minute and is still very much a work in progress. I was pretty blown away by how many people entered and hopefully next year it will be bigger and better...and smoother!

Thanks again to everyone!

Brian Nadeau

brian@st-publishing.com

Glimmerglass
Feb. 20, 2008, 09:26 AM
As some have noticed we updated our website last night and for some reason the Week 3 standings got lost. Our website designer is actually coming in this morning and she is going to give us the ins and outs so I will find wherever they went and re-post them soon.

Ah, I had just closed out the page which had the standings this morning. If I'd known they were lost (for the moment) I would've posted them.

I've got to recheck my picks against the results as I seem to be far behind with about $400k or so yet having a at least one winner in "my stable" :D Not having Fierce Wind - yet several others reportedly having that pick - really killed me. Then picking Etched, Cave's Valley, and a few others hasn't helped!

SteeleRdr
Feb. 20, 2008, 10:10 AM
Not having Fierce Wind - yet several others reportedly having that pick - really killed me. Then picking Etched, Cave's Valley, and a few others hasn't helped!

You and me both! Last I looked, I was getting trompled.

Texarkana
Feb. 20, 2008, 10:45 AM
You and me both! Last I looked, I was getting trompled.

I don't think anyone is getting trompled as bad as me!!! Although I really do think there is a math error with mine (along with a spelling error now, hehe... I somehow became Arkansas :lol:). Really not a big deal, but I'll re-add everything up tonight. :)

And thanks for checking in with us, Brian!

Sooner Schooner
Feb. 20, 2008, 11:03 AM
Ah, I had just closed out the page which had the standings this morning. If I'd known they were lost (for the moment) I would've posted them.

I've got to recheck my picks against the results as I seem to be far behind with about $400k or so yet having a at least one winner in "my stable" :D Not having Fierce Wind - yet several others reportedly having that pick - really killed me. Then picking Etched, Cave's Valley, and a few others hasn't helped!

I think a lot of people got thrown off about Etched...I posted in my original analysis that he was in Dubai and taking that route, which was first mentioned in late November after his win in the Nashua...but several more prominant publications listed him among all their choices and with Kiaran as his trainer, which wasn't true, and unfortunately I think a lot of people saw that and used him in Derby-like contests.

SteeleRdr
Feb. 20, 2008, 11:05 AM
Ok, well maybe I can't talk. I just looked mine up, and I'm not doing GREAT, but not bad either. Right about mid-pack (at least I think). I really should have just used my name instead of making up a barn name...I'm pretty sure I'm Under the Wire Stables...haha

pinkdiamondracing
Feb. 20, 2008, 11:17 AM
WOW!! I was in last place after week 1 but I must have had a good week this week, as Pink Diamond Racing had moved up to 10th!! WHOO HOO!! I just wish I could remember my picks, although the trainers I picked were Asmussen and O'Neill I think. Gonna have to e-mail Brian for a list I guess. How is everyone else doing??

miss_critic
Feb. 20, 2008, 12:10 PM
Crown of Thorns is out! Not going to hurt me. But disappointing as I liked him and had him in another contest.

I'm doing ok-636.5 K points!

Texarkana
Feb. 20, 2008, 12:24 PM
Crown of Thorns is out! Not going to hurt me. But disappointing as I liked him and had him in another contest.

I'm doing ok-636.5 K points!

Darn it, of course I had him in my stable (and was banking on him)! :p

Should have known it was coming with those slow works.

I think Texarkana's Stable has officially gone down the toilet. Unless Globetrotter steps up to the plate and does something for me. :lol:

Texarkana
Feb. 26, 2008, 06:22 PM
Well, the full week 4 standings aren't up yet, but Brian has posted the "millionaire club" for those with over 1,000,000 points.

And a HUGE congrats to miss_critic and Pinkdiamondracing, who are both on the list! (sorry if I missed anyone else, none of the other names caught my eye)

miss_critic
Feb. 26, 2008, 08:46 PM
whoooooohooooooooo!!!!
Thank you! I'll enjoy it while I can :)

Texarkana
Feb. 27, 2008, 08:05 AM
I saw this great article over in Off Course. Now I know where I went wrong when selecting my Take Ten stable:

http://www.ehow.com/how_2189004_identify-horse-breeds-kentucky-derby.html

:lol::lol::lol:

Glimmerglass
Feb. 27, 2008, 10:03 AM
I saw this great article over in Off Course. Now I know where I went wrong when selecting my Take Ten stable:

http://www.ehow.com/how_2189004_identify-horse-breeds-kentucky-derby.html

:lol::lol::lol:

That has to be one of the most amazing bits of nonsense I've read in some time. Wow :D

A series of white spots along all four legs instead of a solid white leg indicates an attempt to play around with genetics to create a unique coat.

Fascinating .... who knew Darley was trying to get a unique coat vs. a quality runner ...

Maybeapril
Feb. 27, 2008, 01:07 PM
Wow some of you are doing great!! I am about in the middle still just happy not to be last. :cool:

Texarkana
Mar. 5, 2008, 10:07 PM
Week 5 standings are up!

And congrats again to miss_critic who's #3 on the chart!!!

Pinkdiamondracing isn't too far behind, still in the millionaires club.

I don't think anyone else from our group has hit a million yet. We seem to be holding down the middle pretty well. ;)

Miss Critic Stables…………………1,459,000
Pink Diamond Racing……………..1,221,750
Under The Wire Stable……………874,500
Dogwood Meadows……………….770,750
Glimmerglass LLC………………...736,840
Bag End Farm……………………...733,000
Texarkana’s Stable…………………715,400

SteeleRdr
Mar. 5, 2008, 11:05 PM
Haha, wow, I can't believe I've got that much...it was totally a shot in the dark when I picked horses. I haven't had time to keep up with the "flat" world.

Maybeapril
Mar. 6, 2008, 01:14 PM
My numbers are the exact same as they were last week, I didn't have anybody in any of the races last weekend. Maybe this weekend will be better. :yes:

Texarkana
Mar. 13, 2008, 10:12 AM
Week 6 standings are up. :)

Congrats to Pinkdiamondracing who's now leading our COTH group again!

And congrats to Maybeapril who has now joined the millionaires club.

Steelerdr-- I couldn't find your stable on the list. I must have scrolled through it 10 times and couldn't even locate you using the "find" function on my browser. Did you get forgotten this week?

SteeleRdr
Mar. 13, 2008, 11:22 AM
Haha, probably, I think I made such a poor showing last weekend that I just got dismissed!! haha

miss_critic
Mar. 13, 2008, 12:24 PM
There aren't a lot of points seperating out the top 20. I suspect things will seperate out as soon as these million dollar races start, unless we all have the same horses. Bill Mott really needs to pick things up for me!!!

Maybeapril
Mar. 13, 2008, 05:12 PM
YAY!! Millionaire club. Since it will never happen in real life it is nice to at least enjoy it on paper! Giant Moon did not help me last weekend and I have Bill Mott as one of my trainers also. But I have Pyro wich has been extremely helpful, although probably most everybody else has him.

Texarkana
Mar. 14, 2008, 09:11 AM
I don't have Pyro...

Although I do have Bill Mott and Giant Moon.

And I think my score very clearly reflects that! :lol:

Pat Ness
Mar. 14, 2008, 12:51 PM
I don't remember who I have except that I had Crown Of Thorns and Richard Mandella.

I think I have Visionaire... I am lucky I got as far as I have.

miss_critic
Mar. 14, 2008, 01:32 PM
I need Anak Nakal to do something this weekend if I want to get any points.