PDA

View Full Version : This weekend's races

miss_critic
Jan. 13, 2008, 10:01 AM
Since this is the racing forum, anybody watch yesterdays races?

While El Gato Malo certainly looked super impressive, I wonder if that just didn't set up for him too perfectly. What were those jocks up front thinking?

The Rafael was an exciting race, although not who I expected to see up there. I felt so bad for Johnny Eves-he tried so hard! Big disappointment from Ravel and Great Hunter. I didn't notice any excuses. While I don't want to sat Tiago ran poorly, I think we all expected more. Maybe he just needed the race....

There were a lot of good races yesterday!

SleepyFox
Jan. 13, 2008, 11:15 AM
Nice finish in the San Fernando and how about those odds on Air Comander?!

A big weekend for the undefeated guys - El Gato Malo and Z Fortune in the LeCompte.

Drvmb1ggl3
Jan. 13, 2008, 11:32 AM
El Gato Malo sure looked a picture, but as you say it was probably less impressive than it looked with those three going out in silly fractions and then dying. I just don't get excited about 2yo and early season 3yo performances anymore, I've seen way too many flash in the pans over the years, but worth keeping an eye in him for sure.

The San Fernando was a cracker. Love that Johnny Eves, his win in the Malibu was a real treat, such a classic front runner and that upright galloping style, what a game horse. Pity he got pipped at the wire.
Tiago looked a bit sluggish at the end, he'll benefit from the race. Great Hunter has been disappointing for a while now, one of those flash in the pans I was talking about earlier.

Barnfairy
Jan. 13, 2008, 05:36 PM
No surprise in the Santa Ynez Stakes with the heavy favorite Indian Blessing taking it, but only barely. I really thought Golden Doc A was going to overtake her. 'Maybe had Doc not got herself out quite so far in the middle of the track...

Texarkana
Jan. 14, 2008, 09:42 AM
I was really wishing I had a winning ticket on Air Commander!

Even though Tiago didn't run up to expectations, the Moss' still had a graded win with Zenyatta. Wow, she can cover some ground!

Ravel hasn't lived up to his old form since he's been back. :no: Bummer.

miss_critic
Jan. 14, 2008, 12:20 PM
Drvmb makes a valid point. Until the end of May, it is just a crap shoot.

So as far as crap shooting goes, I am liking Blackberry Road in terms of moving forward.

Glimmerglass
Jan. 14, 2008, 08:19 PM
Even though Tiago didn't run up to expectations, the Moss' still had a graded win with Zenyatta. Wow, she can cover some ground!

I recall her last effort in mid Dec at Hollywood Park when there was a lot of "wow" talk then - rightfully so - and it was just her 2nd lifetime start at 1 1/16 miles. Then comes this damn impressive effort against well seasoned runners!

It makes you wonder if David Flores was singing ""Don't Stand So Close to Me" or "De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da"? Yes, in case the connection is missed with few people recalling record albums these day - Zenyattà Mondatta was 3rd album by The Police and from which her name originates. Once again Jerry Moss (A&M Records) tips his hat to Sting ...

ravenclaw
Jan. 15, 2008, 08:24 AM
So as far as crap shooting goes, I am liking Blackberry Road in terms of moving forward.
I like Blackberry Road, too. With his running style, he is going to do better in the longer races.

Glimmerglass
Apr. 2, 2008, 08:30 AM
She'll be back this weekend ... Zenyatta!

Lifetime 4 4-0-0

Saturday she makes her Grade 1 debut in the $500,000 Apple Blossom Handicap at Oaklawn Park. It won't be a walk in the park as she'll face the favorite, Ginger Punch, in the 1 1/16-mile race for fillies and mares. Then again she's already knocked off G1 winners Tough Tiz's Sis and Romance Is Diane ;)

"We're going to have to face her eventually," said Jerry Moss, who owns Zenyatta with his wife, Ann. "We might as well face her now, when our filly's feeling good and when she's ready to run. If Ginger Punch beats us, well, then right now she's better than us. That's all."

Per the DRF (http://www.drf.com/news/article/93364.html) Zenyatta is "a sizable filly who needed time to develop" ..... Shirreffs estimates she now stands about 16-3 hands tall and weighs just under 1,200 pounds.

The Apple Blossom will be Zenyatta's first start since January, due in large part to her training being compromised during a wet spell in California. Shirreffs had two graded stakes penciled in for her following the El Encino - the Feb. 10 La Canada and the March 9 Santa Margarita.

"The two races we had planned on running in out here we weren't able to, mostly because of the weather," said Shirreffs. "For a big, heavy horse, if you can imagine a waterlogged track, they always need a firm bottom or they just sink into it. It just wasn't working."

So like before I expect that Mike Smith (stepping in for David Flores with a prior committment) will be singing ""Don't Stand So Close to Me" when he kicks her into high gear :)

Texarkana
Apr. 2, 2008, 10:33 AM
That's great news she is running this weekend. I really like the mare. Although I'm becoming a sucker for any and all Street Cry kids.

But did they have to bring her back against Ginger Punch of all horses??? :lol:

Glimmerglass
Apr. 3, 2008, 11:07 PM
The lineup from Oaklawn Park for Saturday:

$500,000 Apple Blossom Handicap - Grade 1
Race 8, 4:57 p.m. CST
Fillies & Mares 4 & Up, 1 1/16 Miles

PP. Horse, Weight, Jockey
1. Ginger Punch (FL), 122, Ramon A. Dominguez
2. Brownie Points (KY), 114, Luis S. Quinonez
3. Lemon Drop Mom (KY), 112, Clinton L. Potts
4. Kettleoneup (KY), 116, Calvin H. Borel
5. Clever Strike (KY), 110, Shaun Bridgmohan
6. Zenyatta (KY), 116, Mike E. Smith

De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da (from Zenyatta Mondatta, 1980) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SojAZ0X1e0&feature=related)

vineyridge
Apr. 3, 2008, 11:36 PM
I hope the track drains really well at Oaklawn, because it's supposed to rain like all get out over there tonight and tomorrow. I've heard as much as 3 inches, and things have been fairly soggy for the past week.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?zoneid=ARZ042

LaurieB
Apr. 4, 2008, 11:35 AM
There's going to be great racing all over tomorrow between the Wood, the SA Derby, the Hawthorne Derby, the Ashland, the Bay Shore, the Carter H....not to mention the Apple Blossom. I'm going to be glued to my TV all afternoon. :yes:

Glimmerglass
Apr. 4, 2008, 11:43 AM
TVG has live racing at Keeneland so that's covered
They also will have the Illinois Derby live, but NBC will have it taped delay.
TVG will have the other Big-A racing too like Evening Attire ..
HRTV will have the Oaklawn Racing

NBC Sports airs live from 5-6pm EST the Santa Anita and Wood Memorial (http://tcm.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=44395)

NBC will have Tom Hammond and Gary Stevens in the booth.

Glimmerglass
Dec. 7, 2010, 05:28 PM

I did a search out of curiosity on Zenyatta and as best as I can tell the above post from Texarkana from Jan. 14, 2008 was the first one to cite Zenyatta on this forum.

The Chronicle of the Horse forum has had some BB changes and not all old posts can be retrieved. [I believe threads of just a few posting did not get archived at all.] So her maiden run from the end of 2007 may have been cited at the time it happened - but I cannot find a posting on it. (I do however recall watching on TVG her first win at the time and thinking it was a cool name.)

Anyhow the rubber mallet goes to Texarkana :D

As an aside if you see my posting pre-Apple Blossom her connections at the time (2008) pegged the 4-yr old's height at just 16.3hh. Also at the time she was being ridden by David Flores but a prior commitment didn't allow for him to go to Arkansas so Mike was stepping in ... ouch.