PDA

View Full Version : Photos of Tattoo Letters/#'s

Peggy
Jan. 12, 2008, 10:30 PM
I tried a search. I waded thru Racing 101. I Googled. And now I come to you for help.

Is there anywhere online to see photos of what the different letters and numbers look like? Not the chart of letters to years, but actual photos or something like it. I know I've seen it someplace, tho it may just be in Pittenger's Retraining the TB book (which doesn't have the letters I'm looking for).

How easy would it be for a "T" to look like an "I"? Or a "Z" to look like an "I"? We thought it was an "I" but that in no way matches the teeth. A "Z" would make sense as it would put the horse at 12 (close enuf to 9-10;)), but that middle part sure looked up and down to the two of us that looked at it. This was in a stall so we really didn't try that hard.

Curious not only for this instance, but for the future.

Barnfairy
Jan. 12, 2008, 10:44 PM
My Rasor has a Z.

I just tucked him in for the night...but I can take some pics tomorrow and post them if you'd like. :)

Peggy
Jan. 13, 2008, 12:22 AM
That would be great if you can do it easily. I'll try to get a better look tomorrow.

Barnfairy
Jan. 13, 2008, 05:31 PM
Here you go: Rasor D's Z (http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2108748020099108256HEhGwO)

Even faded it's a pretty obvious "Z" as opposed to an "I" or "T".

Peggy
Jan. 13, 2008, 07:33 PM
Thanks. That doesn't look like what we have. Either it's not a JC tattoo or the horse is a bit older than we thought. I think his teeth look more like he'd have a T than a Z.

Mendin Fences
Jan. 13, 2008, 07:46 PM
My OTTB mare was a rescue and it was very hard to read her tattoo #. It was very faded and very crooked/sloppy. She is 17 now and her "U" was all the way up in the top left corner of her lip and it was smaller than the rest of the numbers and was faded out. We could guess her appx. age so we knew it probably wasn't an O or a J.
When you're looking at it try figuring out all the possibilities. The Jockey Club gave us some feedback on our guesses and we were able to eliminate the matches until we got the right one.

furlong47
Jan. 13, 2008, 07:56 PM
Can you post a picture of your horse's tattoo so we can see it? Are you sure horse is a TB? A 10 year old Standardbred would have a 5 character tattoo starting with T.... however the majority of them are now freezebranded and not tattooed.

ponyjumper4
Jan. 13, 2008, 10:19 PM
What breeds do numbers with no letters? My "TB" has 5 numbers, but my vet and I counldn't find a letter (that's not to say there isn't one of course). He looks TB to both of us, if not, I'd say maybe an appendix.

I too was looking for photos online so I'd have an idea of what to look for, but also had no luck.

furlong47
Jan. 13, 2008, 10:36 PM
I believe Appendix tattoos have 4 or 5 numbers with a letter at the end. Not sure of any breed that only has numbers.

EponaRoan
Jan. 14, 2008, 12:14 AM
Arabians and Appaloosas are all numbers, which are their six digit registration number.

Peggy
Jan. 14, 2008, 01:22 AM
The horse is a TB, or at least supposed to be. If I were to guess at his breed by looking at him I would guess TB. It's definitely not a number at the beginning. It is followed by numbers. We were trying to do this in a not-so-well-light stall so we concentrated on the letter at the beginning. Not my horse; I was just trying to help out:).

jenarby
Jan. 15, 2008, 05:10 PM
Sometimes if you use a black light the numbers are easier to read.....

Sabovee
Jan. 15, 2008, 05:54 PM
What breeds do numbers with no letters? My "TB" has 5 numbers, but my vet and I counldn't find a letter (that's not to say there isn't one of course). He looks TB to both of us, if not, I'd say maybe an appendix.

I too was looking for photos online so I'd have an idea of what to look for, but also had no luck.

I have an OTTB who doesn't have a letter. It looks like they "ran off the page" or lip when tattooing him. I did know his name and age and had someone on this board look up his number - the rest of it was right.