PDA

View Full Version : Spin-Off:Going into Debt for a Horse

ctanner
Jan. 10, 2008, 10:07 AM
How many of you are riding and showing horses that you didn't have to break the bank for?

How successful are you?Showing,what level?

How inexpensive was your horse and where did you find him/her?

Could you be happier than you are with your current horse?

Love him/her anymore?

I'm old enough to remember when the OTTB was the standard.Very few imported horses or warmbloods.I still love TB's.

So,all of you who aren't taking out a loan for a year's(or more) salary to buy a horse,let hear for you!

Speedy
Jan. 10, 2008, 10:29 AM
I'll play!

How many of you are riding and showing horses that you didn't have to break the bank for? I am, thank god!

How successful are you?Showing,what level? 2nd 3 and 4 with scores typically in the high 60s, low 70s.

How inexpensive was your horse and where did you find him/her? She is a $15K TB from an eventing barn (bred to event, not to race and certainly not for dressage :)).

Could you be happier than you are with your current horse? I don't think I'd necessarily be happier with another horse, but I would be learning how to ride a different horse and I think learning to ride a variety of mounts equally well is extremely important. So eventually, I would like to have another, completely different type of dressage horse.

Love him/her anymore? I love this horse. She has a forever home with me because she's taught me a ton and put up with some very poor riding on my part through the years!

merrygoround
Jan. 10, 2008, 10:32 AM
You've got another person here. I have sofar (and I'm running outta time:) ), never paid more than $5K for a horse, and most times less than that.

exvet
Jan. 10, 2008, 10:42 AM
How many of you are riding and showing horses that you didn't have to break the bank for?

Waiving hand wildly and jumping up and down (vertically challenged ya know and don't want to be missed :winkgrin:). I actually have 8 horses, 2 retired, 2 too young to show but those remaining did not break the bank, are being shown and doing well for their level of training.

OK here goes with just a couple of examples: My late gelding (died 18 months ago) I purchased for $5000, and with him I earned my bronze (started at training level and trained him up myself). He went on to teach my kids to ride/show and was my husband's trail riding mount. My 9 year old gelding is now showing 4th level. I purchased him at the age of 2 for $4000. I won highpoint third level at our last recognized show in the area riding a third 3 test; so, needless to say I'm quite happy with our progress. We have showed fourth at a couple of schooling shows and will be showing at a recognized show in two weeks. So far we haven't embarassed ourselves. My 7 year old mare was previously a CDE pony and is now being shown by my daughter after being started under saddle not quite one year ago. She's doing well (winning highpoint too) at the schooling shows and is going to her first recognized show in 2 weeks though she's just showing intro/training but shows the talent to go much further. Our goal is FEI pony before my daughter ages out. Oh she was purchased for $4000 too.

How inexpensive was your horse and where did you find him/her? Already gave prices and found them through word of mouth.

Could you be happier than you are with your current horse? No, not really though I would love for it to be "easier" in that my 4th level horse is built downhill with a very short neck. Despite that he does do well; so, I really can't ask for more.

Love him/her anymore? No of course not. I buried my horse of a lifetime or so I thought......but with each one there has been something special. I have to say that my 9 year old gelding is moving in to a tie with first place in that "horse of a lifetime categeory" and when I bought him he was to be a resale project but never left.

So,all of you who aren't taking out a loan for a year's(or more) salary to buy a horse,let hear for you! I have two more in the wings - 2 & 3 year old.....which I traded for (breeder to breeder trade) and those horses for which I traded cost $3000 & $4000. I have high hopes for both of these colts.

pintopiaffe
Jan. 10, 2008, 10:50 AM
Can't get much cheaper than free, now can you? Oh, I did pay for shipping him here from Arkansas. But he came on a breeding/training swap lease (I train and in return get to use him for breeding) and 10 years later... he's not going home any time soon. ;) I am actually now full partner in him.

I also have three of his kids, who cost me time, effort, tears and joy. And the first foal I've ever bought myself, a Colonial Spanish filly who was eminently reasonable.

He has won Ch or Res Ch every time out SHIH, beating all WB's of excellent repute, as have his kids. His first foalcrop is 7 this year and are doing 1st/2nd Level very respectably, one also was doing nicely at CT. We got five 7's at our First Level debut. (won't talk about overall score, um, three errors of course, can you say spaceshot rider? :uhoh: ) And we are aiming for 3rd level this year. I don't show much, due to location and fundage. But, he has everything but changes (we have simples and singles) and passage now, just building, building, building strength.

Free, free, free, free and less than $2k. Internet on the stallion and CS filly. Bred the other three. The dams of the other three were either bred by me ($250 stud fee on the dam of two, free Tk mare on the third.) Oh, I guess extra feed for the broodie in the third trimester. :lol:

Doubt it. Especially since I've lost weight, and am aiming for loosing the rest, so no one can ever say I'm "too big" for him. (I wasn't--weighed not very much more than my teacher, but that's an aesthetic thing.) It's been an adventure. It hasn't always been easy--my teacher said he's not an easy ride, and I don't agree, because he's a blast. Smart and kind and the most honest horse I've ever met. I guess his body type could be a little different, to make him a little easier to sit. BIG movement in a little package, he's like buttah when he's through, but ok, I'll admit, not the easiest to sit when he's not through. A little *too* smart and *too* good... if that can be a fault. :lol:

Love him/her anymore?
Absolutely not. :sadsmile: I lost my best girl 4 years ago. The only good I can say became of it, is that I really bonded with my stallion far deeper than I had when I had her. I have trained him for all but 90 days of his life. (and I went with him for most of those 90 days!) From being backed to where we are now. My mistakes, my triumphs. That's why it's taking so darn long... he'd have been FEI a couple of years ago with a professional rider with an indoor... He's stuck with me though.

I also had two amazing, wonderful, far-more-than-I-could-afford broodies given to me. One was a Great TB mare, the other a *Malachit daughter. The *Malachit daughter's last son (by my stallion) is the heir apparant.

see u at x
Jan. 10, 2008, 11:47 AM

I have two - a QH that I did a recognized show with last year, and a TB that I have just recently acquired.

Well, that depends on how you define success. Do I have nice, calm, quiet and willing horses? 99% of the time, yes. ;) To me, that's success and I'm really blessed. Insofar as showing, the QH and I only showed intro last year (got 2nd in both tests) as she was injured most of the time and we didn't have truck/trailer access. I'm not sure what I'll end up doing with her - conformationally and movement-wise, she is gorgeous, and if she didn't have an old stifle injury, I think her potential would be amazing. We're just going to take it slow and see what happens. We have years to work together, and she will be with me forever.

The new horse is a superstar in the making. She could easily do A-circuit hunter shows or dressage, and has been champion and reserve champion at several local hunter shows in MD/VA. We're going to work on both this year, maybe do some hunter paces at some point, and then perhaps in a couple of years, give eventing a shot. I want to try a little bit of everything and just have fun with her. She's the kind of horse who can teach me a lot and she is already making me a better rider in that I'm much more aware of my body and what I do while riding.

Let's just say that one was 3 figures and the other was 4 - I'm not sure if anyone I know reads this board, and I don't want them knowing all my business about horse #2. ;) One I acquired from a family member and the other from a trainer who I know pretty well.

Before I found the second horse, I was getting pretty discouraged. I love, love, LOVE my little QH, but her injuries have taken their toll on both of us. It gets disheartening to sit there and wonder if you're ever going to get to show or get past a certain point in your training. But all that aside, I am happy with her in that she is a lovely and sweet mare. There have been times when I've considered sending her back home for retirement, but then I have a panic attack because I can't imagine my life here without her. I know that she would miss me as much as I would miss her and I'd worry about her constantly. With the new horse, no, there is no way I could be happier with her. We're only at the beginning of a great new journey together.

Love him/her anymore?

No way - I don't think it's possible! I think about them all the time and there isn't a day that goes by when I don't look forward to going to the barn to see them.

dressagedevon
Jan. 10, 2008, 12:17 PM
Well, I have 6 horses, My TB was $5500, and I bought him 13 years ago, and while he is not very talented he really taught me how to ride, how to be patient and ask clearly for what I want. I showed him mostly through training level. My next horse was 450, I have posted his picture on here before, Gus, is being broke now, and hopefully will amaze everyone. Then I got my free horse early last year, trained to second level, will hopefully teach me alot of new stuff. Then I have another horse paid 250, but he was a total rescue and now am trying to find him a home where he can be a cart horse. Then we have a cow pony which I think my dad paid way to much for 5300, but hey he can do what he wants, and last but not least the 600 pony, who is now become like a family dog, just little bit bigger then my great dane. I love all my horses and yes I would gladly take a super nice horse, but I do not forsee and time in my future of breaking the bank to buy one. For now I like my free second level oldenburg!:D

class
Jan. 10, 2008, 12:57 PM

i am!

we are going to see what happens at third level test one in april! :)

$500 arab endurance horse that i got through a friend who was breaking up with his gf/horse keeper.

nope.

Love him/her anymore?

nope. he is a star and everyone who meets him coos over him and saintly try-hard attitude.

RHdobes563
Jan. 10, 2008, 01:16 PM
Paid $400 for my Morgan (shown) thirty years ago and $900 for my Thoroughbred (not shown) fifteen years ago.

Ja Da Dee
Jan. 10, 2008, 01:39 PM

me me me

we are competing at first level, training second and some third. We are generally (If I ride) in the low 60's.

$2500, he was the extra trail horse at a place that does Mounted Orenteering. He was standing in a dry paddock lookin cute.

no, he is wonderful... opinionated, but wonderful.

Love him/her anymore?
Still love him after 5 years, wouldn't give him up for a million.

LD1129
Jan. 10, 2008, 01:49 PM

I have one horse, my first horse to own bought him 2 years ago (I was 23, he was 6) but riding since I was 10. He is an 16h liver chestnut that gets deep red, appendix, features of a TB but now everyone asks me what type of warmblood he is after doing dressage for the last year and building muscle.

We did hunter/jumper for awhile he was good and loved to jump. We didn't compete high (my issues) but he was shown by friends at 3ft and could school 4 ft at home. He developed a slight case of navicular so he is 100% sound for dressage and showing a talent for it. We have only done schooling shows but we will start the season in the spring doing recognized shows at training level.

He was cheap old trainer bought him at New Holland auction he was walked through with the work horse section (he was an amish buggy horse) I bought him when he was 6 he is now coming 9. The old trainer bought him for a couple hundred and I bought him from her after he was at the barn for a few weeks (I had just gotten back in lessons after a break for college) for $2,500 Yes a bit much for an auction horse but I fell in love with him! He is worth every last penny!

Could you be happier than you are with your current horse? Love him/her anymore?

I love love love him! He is my once and a lifetime horse! He has an amazing eye and is so sweet. He is like a big puppy with tons of personality. He will live with me forever until he is old and grey. He can no longer jump but I am having so much fun working to train him for dressage that I don't even care. My trainer has helped me bring him a long way from his buggy days. :D:D:D:D:D:D

UT
Jan. 10, 2008, 02:06 PM
It is all relative. I have never borrowed money to buy a horse, however it I add up all the expenses through the years, it amounts to quite a bit.
1. my grand prix dressage horse was 2.5 years old. Now he is 17 and going strong. 15 years of full training, supplements, farriers etc add up.
2. my "horse of a lifetime" died at age 10 of renal cell carcinoma. I showed him successfully at 4th leve. I got him as a 2 year old
3. 6 year old mare, shown successfully and "high-point" many times at training and first. Now going second. got her as a foal. In full training since age 3. Had 18 months of natural horsemanship training before that.

Pay now or pay later.

Daydream Believer
Jan. 10, 2008, 02:25 PM

I have never owned a horse that cost me more than $3500 but have sold some for quite a bit more later on with training. I have made all my own and generally TB's or crosses. My current mount is a Colonial Spanish horse stallion that I bought as a nearly wild 3 year old off a Wyoming Preservation Breeder ranch. Here are some pics of him from the Sport Horse Stallion Show last weekend in Raleigh. Credit for the pics to a friend named Lauren.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2053/2173582805_626b8c196d.jpg?v=0

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2315/2173582949_0472e47c1d.jpg?v=0

Jumping 3'9"

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2295/2172487464_8386912e82.jpg?v=0

We have not shown much yet. Just locally with decent scores but that was back in 2006 when he was much greener. We spent last year hauling around the US doing promotion for his breed. We logged 10,000 miles in a trailer last summer and rode at Kentucky Horse Park and the Equine Affaire in Mass. I hope to finally get him to the big shows next spring at first level. He's schooling some second level work now.

He has pretty nice gaits and a fantastic mind. My FEI level coach thinks he will make FEI levels eventually. We are taking our time and developing him classically and slowly. I also may make a detour into eventing with him. As you can see, he's quite a good jumper.

I don't want to say exactly how inexpensive he was but let's say he was not the most expensive horse I ever bought....and I mentioned that earlier. He was untrained and unhandled and young...a diamond in the rough as a friend put it. He was born and raised in Wyoming.

Love him/her anymore?

No, I am so in love with him and his entire breed. He is truly the horse of a lifetime for me. I am very happy with my little horses.

I'm old enough to remember when the OTTB was the standard.Very few imported horses or warmbloods.I still love TB's.

Yup, me too. I remember being so in love with Seldom Seen. I have always loved smaller horses and that may be one reason I'm into the little horses that I am now.

Guyot
Jan. 10, 2008, 02:26 PM
Great thread! I don't pay alot for my horses all OTTB for less then 5K, but I retrain for eventing. This past summer I got a call on an imported Selle Francais gelding that had a bit of dressage training. Well that bit is 4th level and we are having a blast. Planning to show this spring at 2nd and 3rd (I need to catch up!!:lol:)

That all said, he was free but nothing is free, he has issues, like he's terrified of men and I have to drug him for the dentist, farrier, clipping, etc. and there is no way I can have a vet do any lameness exam or go near his legs...so I keep praying that he doesn't get hurt!:no:

I have to say I am learning so much and his education to me is priceless, and worth every bit of difficulty he brings me in managing him! I don't think there is a $ amount I could put on him. He came to me through some great people who were looking to do the right thing by him, and to place a $figure on him would negate kindness of that act. It's a karma thing! He's with me for life or I will pass the act of kindness to the next person :cool:

Blkarab
Jan. 10, 2008, 02:33 PM
Hi There!

I definitely didn't break the bank on my horse, and couldn't love her anymore!

I bought a 2-year old black arabian mare, 5 years ago. My first horse ever! We have learned so much together and she will forever have a home with me!

I have her in full training with an excellent trainer and friend. We took her to her first recognized show last year and she did quite well, scores in the 60's at training level and first level. I'm showing her at Intro right now since I'm the one holding her back :sadsmile: But, my goal is to make it to training level this year. She's a bit quick and flighty at times and I'm still learning to be confident, so taking it slow is ok! We'll make it together. I took her to schooling shows the year before last, and she was real trooper. We even came in 4th place for year-end awards! Not bad for a girl who started riding (first time ever 5 years ago).

My lovely mare was $1000 and I bought her from a friend that breeds arabians. She has wonderful bloodlines and I may eventually breed her for Arabian Sporthorses.

The road may have been easier with a more knowledgeable/older wiser horse, and a bigger horse would be an easier ride for me in someways due to my height. All and all though, I don't think I would have as many stories or learned as much as what I have with my girl. :D.

She has my heart!:)

Blkarab

Blkarab
Jan. 10, 2008, 02:34 PM
Hi There!

I definitely didn't break the bank on my horse, and couldn't love her anymore!

I bought a 2-year old black arabian mare, 5 years ago. My first horse ever! We have learned so much together and she will forever have a home with me!

I have her in full training with an excellent trainer and friend. We took her to her first recognized show last year and she did quite well, scores in the 60's at training level and first level. I'm showing her at Intro right now since I'm the one holding her back :sadsmile: But, my goal is to make it to training level this year. She's a bit quick and flighty at times and I'm still learning to be confident, so taking it slow is ok! We'll make it together. I took her to schooling shows the year before last, and she was real trooper. We even came in 4th place for year-end awards! Not bad for a girl who started riding for first time ever 5 years ago.

My lovely mare was $1000 and I bought her from a friend that breeds arabians. She has wonderful bloodlines and I may eventually breed her for Arabian Sporthorses.

The road may have been easier with a more knowledgeable/older wiser horse, and a bigger horse would be an easier ride for me in someways due to my height. All and all though, I don't think I would have as many stories or learned as much as what I have with my girl. :D.

She has my heart!:)

Blkarab

millerra
Jan. 10, 2008, 03:12 PM
I'll play.

My $1 horse: showed through training level eventing; shown 2nd level dressage w/ scores in the low 60's due to his poor test riding jockey (me). plan to work on test riding skills and show 3rd this year. He is an OTTB.

xQHDQ
Jan. 10, 2008, 06:14 PM
How many of you are riding and showing horses that you didn't have to break the bank for? I am currently riding a horse I didn't have to take out a loan for. May last horse I took out a $10,000 loan.

How successful are you?Showing,what level? My current horse and I have not yet made it to a show (after 2 years). My old horse and I showed at 1st level but we were preparing for 4th level when lameness issues arose.

How inexpensive was your horse and where did you find him/her? Current horse was $6000 including the trip to go see him and the trailering to get him home. Old horse was $15,000 (for a GP horse - not too shabby). Found both on Dreamhorse.com

Could you be happier than you are with your current horse? Sometimes I wish current horse was more broke or had more strength like a WB - he's an appendix QH. I wish old horse didn't go lame. Both horses taught/are teaching me a lot, albeit different things.

Love him/her anymore? I still love both as my pets.

kahjul
Jan. 10, 2008, 06:16 PM
Since I moved out of my parents house (1985) I have owned OTTB's and never paid over $500.00 for one. They all turned out to be good eventers and were sold for considerably more than their purchase prices.:) I bred one to a KWPN and had my first dressage prospect. Lost him as a 3 year old. With little $ left after horrible vet bills, a friend directed me to a draftX breeder that she knew. She starts all their youngsters and really likes the crosses they're putting out. I rolled my eyes, said, "No thanks", etc. But as I could find nothing else I could afford, I went to look. The one I specifically went to look at was too heavy for my taste, and not a terrific mover, but then I saw HER. Couldn't pull the checkbook out fast enough. For $4000.00 I got no papers, not halterbroke 2 year old, but great movement and 'something' in her eye...
She's now 5, showing 1st level, with scores in the mid 60's. Sweet as can be, predictable, dependable, silly, pretty and has a great work ethic. Every trainer and clinician I work with loves her.

I wouldn't trade her for anything. If I could change anything about her it would simply be ALL THE HAIR. I go through clippers like you wouldn't believe!!

Dinerlee
Jan. 10, 2008, 06:27 PM
What a wonderful looking horse! Thanks for posting the photos!