PDA

View Full Version : Starting racing .. at 10?

Glimmerglass
Jan. 10, 2008, 09:57 AM
No I'm not talking about a jockey, but rather a horse making his maiden at 10! Perhaps I should make the effort to go to Hawthorne in person tomorrow although me thinks this won't be some Hollywood feel good tale. You have to wonder what the horse will be thinking after years of not being a race horse to suddenly be expected to run.

Daily Racing Form 1-9-08 "Belated debut for 10-year-old" (http://www.drf.com/news/article/91468.html)

Sovereign Sigh might be making his first career start in the ninth race on Friday at Hawthorne, but the horse has seen plenty of this world. That's because Sovereign Sigh makes his racing debut days after reaching the crusty age of 10.

If Sovereign Sigh somehow should step up and win, could he be labeled precocious?

Sovereign Sigh is a son of the obscure sire Harriman and the mare Lil Donna Pearce, a daughter of the equally obscure sire Mr. Cinder Man. Like Breeders' Cup Mile winner Kip Deville, Sovereign Sigh was bred in Oklahoma. The fellow that bred him, Mark Steven Osko, still owns Sovereign Sigh, and called up to Chicago last month looking for someone willing to take the horse. That someone turned out to be trainer Manny Perez.

"He's been here about three weeks," Perez said. "I don't care what people say about it. I had no problem with taking the horse. The people are excited about getting him in a race. I haven't had any trouble with him."

Sovereign Sigh had several works at Blue Ribbon Downs in Oklahoma, but the horse still was not a fit animal when he arrived at Hawthorne.

"He was a little fatter when I got him, but I put him on a strict diet," said Perez. "He has lost a lot of weight. He looked like an old warhorse when he came in - now he looks like a racehorse."

Perez said he had heard a litany of ailments that delayed Sovereign Sigh's first start: sickness at 3, bucked shins at 4, this, that, and the other thing. "But once you get them over that hump, you're good to go," said Perez.

Sovereign Sigh got in a six-furlong gate work on Jan. 4 at Hawthorne. Now, Perez sounds a lot like many trainers with more traditional first-time starters.

"This horse can run, but I wish I had one more work in him," he said.

Best O' Luck to him - it is supposed to be a high of 35 degrees with some flurries.

Texarkana
Jan. 10, 2008, 10:47 AM
Perez said he had heard a litany of ailments that delayed Sovereign Sigh's first start: sickness at 3, bucked shins at 4, this, that, and the other thing. "But once you get them over that hump, you're good to go," said Perez.

What was his excuse for the other 6 years of his life between 4 and 10? :lol:

Best of luck to him tomorrow! They should have had put Hawthorne's 40 year old female apprentice jockey on him. That would have really made for movie of the week material if he won.

What's Illinois laws regarding horses racing over the age of 10? I know some states get screwy... horses over 10 can't run if they haven't started in X number of years, or haven't had a win in a certain timeframe, blah blah blah. I guess I'll google it...

Texarkana
Jan. 10, 2008, 11:43 AM
I couldn't find any age restrictions for Illinois, so I'm assuming there aren't any.

Although I do understand now why Sovereign Sigh may have made the trip from Oklahoma to Illinois. From the Oklahoma Horse Racing Commission Rules of Racing:

325:25-1-11. Age Restrictions
No maiden six (6) years or older shall be permitted to compete in a race with the pari-mutuel system of wagering.

hipsdontlie
Jan. 10, 2008, 11:48 AM
this makes no sense whatsoever. dont most tracks have a rule about maidens being over a certain age ??? one would think at this point why bother ??? horse show diva dot com has a message board and a racing section

Barnfairy
Jan. 10, 2008, 02:41 PM
Maybe they wanted to make sure he had fully matured? :lol:

His works have been fairly decent & consistent.

hipsdontlie
Jan. 10, 2008, 02:59 PM
Remember that poor horse called Zippy Chippy? Wasnt he a 9 yr old maiden who got ruled off Finger Lakes for not leaving the gate? They kept racing the poor thing.

Glimmerglass
Jan. 10, 2008, 03:17 PM
Remember that poor horse called Zippy Chippy? Wasnt he a 9 yr old maiden who got ruled off Finger Lakes for not leaving the gate? They kept racing the poor thing.

Poor thing? I have to totally disagree and a lot of folks on this board would agree that age and even the number of starts means nothing. It is the care, soundness, and metal state of the horse which should dictate if a horse should be continued to run.

Zippy Chippy was rulled off the Finger Lakes track as he was determined to be uncompetitive. He landed a few years - and closed out - the Berkshires summer county fair races. Nothing was wrong with him running in those races. Zippy had a fan base, cheers when he ran, and never went a day without a meal or a good place to rest. He wasn't made to run for his dinner, or run into the ground and was even retired a few times. That only resulted in his depression and anger with being left in some pasture so he was brought him back. So what if he didn't win - I think the thrill for him was being part of the action.

Today he is a lead pony and stil a part "of the action".

Now on the opposite end is Dona Chepa (http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/horse/news/story?id=3028112) who is 10 yrs old and not sound, not winning - not even close, and while folks in PR might think its funny it makes no sense. Again neither age nor the number of starts is pertinent, but soundness is the key.

Regarding the Hawthorne starter Sovereign Sigh I don't object to him running at 10 yrs old. A few excellent old timers have been ruled off tracks in Texas which in theory was well intended but in reality dumb. Sovereign Sigh's workouts have been decent and I assume he's passed his gate certificate, has learned to rate, and can deal with running along the rail and not running out. I just don't think suddenly they'll have found the next Exterminator picking up with the Iron Horse left off at the age of 9.

Barnfairy
Jan. 10, 2008, 03:25 PM
One of the biggest differences being that Zippy had 100 starts in his card-filler career, whereas to date Sovereign Sigh has done, well, zip.

Supposedly Zippy is a cranky SOB and was miserable with farm life during a try at retirement, so back to the track he went. I think he was still being used as an outrider or pony horse at FL. He was rightly banned from several tracks. Though he should have been retired a lot sooner than he was, at least his owner/trainer cares enough about him to provide a home for life, a lot more than can be said for many owners (not just in racing but ALL disciplines!) unfortunately.

JER
Jan. 10, 2008, 06:28 PM
All things considered, a 10 year-old maiden is more suited to life at the track than a 2 year-old.

miss_critic
Jan. 10, 2008, 08:51 PM
My 2004 Racing Almanac tells me that Zippy is the second losingest horse of all time. But, he did win $30,034!!! Zippy lost 97 times out of ...it doesn't say. But the losingest horse of all time was Thrust (1950); he lost 105 times! But Zippy holds the record for the length of time he tried and failed...10 years :)

Interesting side note, right below that is the leading horses of all time by starts. A horse called Hiblaze (1935). He raced for 14 years and had 406 starts! Holy cow!! He won 79 times!!! Interestingly enough all the horses on this list are from the 30's, except one, 1925.

Glimmerglass
Jan. 10, 2008, 10:37 PM
My 2004 Racing Almanac tells me that Zippy is the second losingest horse of all time. But, he did win $30,034!!! Zippy lost 97 times out of ...it doesn't say. But the losingest horse of all time was Thrust (1950); he lost 105 times!

The cited mare from Puerto Rico in my prior post holds the world's record for most losses. She even won a plaque for 'breaaking the record' previously held by an Aussie horse I believe.

Anhow Zippy's last race was Sep 10, 2004 and his 100th call to post. His final record 100 starts 0-8-12 earnings of $30,834

Equidaily.com's chronicled last race for Zippy (http://www.equidaily.com/bestbet/extras/misc/zippy.html)

Lady Counselor
Jan. 11, 2008, 06:17 AM
The whole Zippy Chippy thing used to piss me off royally. It's just another way of having a negative slant on racing news when someone captializing on having a life long loser made headlines.
That was all the local papers used to pick up on around here. You could have horses run incredible races,nada about it. There were local connections who had horses that won at bigger venues such as Saratoga, and all they would write up was ZippyFreakingChippy losing again. :mad:
I was glad when they retired him finally.

gallupgirl
Jan. 11, 2008, 09:18 AM
I couldn't find any age restrictions for Illinois, so I'm assuming there aren't any.

Although I do understand now why Sovereign Sigh may have made the trip from Oklahoma to Illinois. From the Oklahoma Horse Racing Commission Rules of Racing:

This is no longer true, each racetrack has the authority to determine eligibility and at BRD it could race.

Texarkana
Jan. 11, 2008, 10:17 AM
This is no longer true, each racetrack has the authority to determine eligibility and at BRD it could race.

Ah, good to know. Thanks for the correction. Can't say I know much of anything about Oklahoma's specific racing laws aside from what was published in their online rulebook.

Glimmerglass
Jan. 11, 2008, 12:24 PM
One of Sovereign Sigh's last workouts was last Firday (1/4/08) at Hawthorne: 6 Furlongs in 1:18.20 putting him 5 out of 6 horses working at the distance (http://www.drf2000.com/workouts/04/wHAW04.html)

His first start was going to be at Blue Ribbon Downs (Sallisaw, OK) (http://www.blueribbondowns.net/) December 1, 2007 when he was 9-yrs old in the 1st race at 6 Furlongs but was scratched (http://www.drfpress.org/entries/01/eBRD01.html?rn=701246)

Giddy-up
Jan. 11, 2008, 04:42 PM
So has he raced yet today??

HuntrJumpr
Jan. 11, 2008, 05:44 PM
I looked it up, and seem to remember post time being 5:22 or 5:27 CST.

Glimmerglass
Jan. 11, 2008, 07:05 PM
DRF results: 9th race at Hawthorne (http://www.drf.com/results/11/rHAW11.html?rn=746351#9) ... alas he finished last of 10 starters.

Barnfairy
Jan. 11, 2008, 07:56 PM
Chart says he hit the gate. That couldn't have helped.

Certainly not something one would like to see, wiping up the field's behind, but there's gotta be a certain amount of "WTF?!?!" going on in the mind of just about any first time starter regardless of age.

Jane
Jan. 11, 2008, 08:04 PM
Here's the link to today's race.

Video (http://www.hawthorneracecourse.com/live_racing/instantreplays/080111-09.asx)

Sing Mia Song
Jan. 12, 2008, 09:50 PM
24 lengths back of the 9th place horse? I'd give him the benefit of the doubt and call him "eased."

I agree, though, that this horse's thought process was probably one long series of "WTF?! WTF?! WTF?!" :eek:

Barnfairy
Jan. 12, 2008, 10:13 PM
Punctuated with:

So. Tired.

Must. Keep. Running.

Barnfairy
Jan. 26, 2008, 04:10 PM
Okay, so this isn't quite as unheard of as debuting at age ten, but...

Five year old Queshua won his first time out today at Tampa Bay.

hipsdontlie
Jan. 26, 2008, 04:16 PM
zippy chippy should have been retired from racing a whole lot sooner than he was. he was made a joke by his connections. you cant tell me the horse is "enjoying" it when he cant get out of his own way. at least he was cared for after his career thats comforting but still doesnt mke sense to have kept at it all that timeHORSE SHOW DIVA DOT COM

Barnfairy
Jan. 27, 2008, 01:10 AM
File this under Incredibly Bad Judgement:

Tonight 13 year old mare Planting Time was entered in a $2000 claimer at Los Alamitos over 4 1/2 f, coming back from a six year lay off.

Poor girl broke down right after the quarter.

:no:

Glimmerglass
Jan. 30, 2008, 02:50 PM
As of 1-30-08 no recorded workouts for Sovereign Sigh since his maiden start although Hawthorne's winter meet has concluded. I supposed his connections are regrouping and will aim for a 2nd try in Oklahomma. If it helps at all he was born May 26, 1998 so he's physically still a young 9-yr old ;)

doublete
Feb. 5, 2008, 12:48 AM
Well I'm personally rooting for him (if I knew he was sound, enjoyed being there, etc), as I'm one in the camp with two 6 y/o maidens that just haven't made it because when they were three I broke them out and couldn't quite bring myself to move to the track, when they were four they both had issue after issue (nothing serious- more along the lines of all the "babies" got sick upon moving to the track in the early spring, couldn't find a rider for "babies" consistently, therefore couldn't get them fit, and when I finally got them both to the gate, one got stifle sore, and the other broke out of the gate, so darn good that he scared himself and banged his stifle). And last year I just gave up. This is the year!!!!!!!!!

So I, of all people, can understand how horses turn a year older every year, and even though they are older maidens, still having the feeling that they can still do it. I wouldn't waste my time if I didn't truly think that they had potential to do something on the track. Amazing how life just gets away from you sometimes and you don't do all the things you mean to get done. (and horses get caught in that)

bobbybobby
Feb. 5, 2008, 01:43 PM
i think it would be great if he wins....might start a new trend

Glimmerglass
Jun. 16, 2008, 02:13 PM
I can't seem to find the answer but maybe someone else knows - did Sovereign Sigh start a second time?

According to the DRF: his last official work was March 24, 2008 at Will Rogers Downs (OK) (http://www.drf.com/workoutsForHorseAction.do?rNo=98036865)

That track however is done for the year with their racing schedule which ended May 27th.

DickHertz
Jun. 16, 2008, 02:23 PM
He hasn't run back.

Glimmerglass
Feb. 8, 2011, 10:39 PM
Just as good as any place to post this one:

TB Times 2-8-11 "Heir to Zippy Chippy, eight-year-old first-time starter test eligibility rules" (http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/national-news/2011/02/08/old-horses-eligibility.aspx)

At Finger Lakes on December 4, the six-year-old mare Fort Delaware finished seventh in a $4,000 claiming race, beaten 12 lengths at 54-to-1 odds, to remain winless in 75 career starts.

Fort Delaware is trained by Felix Monserrate, the same western New York horseman who raced the hapless gelding Zippy Chippy, who was retired at age 13 in 2004 upon reaching the century mark of 100 starts without a victory.

Fort Delaware completed her six-year-old season in 2010 without a placing in 15 starts. The best finishes in those 15 races were a pair of fourth-place finishes over the summer. All of her races were at Finger Lakes, and with the exception of two seventh-place finishes in $7,500 races, she stayed at the track’s bottom level of $4,000 maiden claiming.

Monserrate will have to look elsewhere in 2011. Fort Delaware reached her seventh birthday on January 1, and Finger Lakes does not accept entries for maidens older than six. Monserrate said on February 1 that he would consider shipping Fort Delaware to race at Beulah Park instead.

“I know she will break her maiden there because it’s a cheap track, and then she can come back here [to race at Finger Lakes],” Monserrate said. “Every time she runs they tell me, ‘Here comes the bride of Zippy Chippy.’

Btw the 10-yr old maiden cited at this initial thread ran just once again in his career: Sovereign Sigh finished 4th of 11 starters Sep 28, 2008 (http://www.equibase.com/premium/eqbPDFChartPlus.cfm?BORP=P&STYLE=EQB&DAY=D&tid=BRD&dt=09/28/2008&ctry=USA&race=6)

Whereabouts today unknown but with a career of 2 0-0-0 @ $368 in earnings

Calamber
Feb. 8, 2011, 11:30 PM
My 2004 Racing Almanac tells me that Zippy is the second losingest horse of all time. But, he did win $30,034!!! Zippy lost 97 times out of ...it doesn't say. But the losingest horse of all time was Thrust (1950); he lost 105 times! But Zippy holds the record for the length of time he tried and failed...10 years :)

Interesting side note, right below that is the leading horses of all time by starts. A horse called Hiblaze (1935). He raced for 14 years and had 406 starts! Holy cow!! He won 79 times!!! Interestingly enough all the horses on this list are from the 30's, except one, 1925.

Methinks you hit the jackpot! Horses were sounder and raced more often.