PDA

View Full Version : Sommer Savoie Flextra?

Atheta21
Jan. 8, 2008, 10:46 PM
Does anyone ride in a Sommer Savoie Flextra saddle? I rode in one yesterday and my horse moved better than ever. I also liked the way I felt in it. Has anyone had good or bad experiences with this saddle? Does anyone know other saddles similar to this one? Thanks!

Creaghgal
Apr. 24, 2008, 09:35 AM
Late response here... I tried a Sommer yesterday and thought my boy was moving very well.... might not have imagined it after all :) I found it comfortable as well.

BaroquePony
Apr. 24, 2008, 12:59 PM
I haven't tried any of the newer Sommer saddles, but I bought a Sommer monoflap back in 1980 and have never found a saddle that rides so well.

I could actually get my leg all the way back under my hip and the balance of the tree was exceptional. It has a very narrow twist and is a very light saddle, so all of the action through my back was immediately felt by my horse and the responsiveness I could get made the whole activity like becoming a Centaur.

Vineyard Farm
Apr. 24, 2008, 02:59 PM
I recently tried one and really liked it. It helped to keep my leg in the correct position, and I found it easier to use my seat effectively. I'm considering buying one....I'm interested to hear other's opinions too!

dalpal
Apr. 27, 2008, 07:51 PM
Yes...just about everyone at the barn has a Flextra...including the trainer.

I rode in one the other day and my TB thought he had died and gone to heaven.

Now my mare preferred my friend's Prestige Milan....and I thought it did more for my position on her.....but I loved the Flextra on my TB.

Oh if only I had 7500.00 to spend in saddles...NOT. :no:

purplnurpl
Apr. 29, 2008, 02:18 PM
I think they are a scam.

And I hate the idea of a tree that flexes.

I tried one and my horse moved better...then I put the stirrups on it and HATED it.
turns out my horse moves better in any saddle that fits him better then that dang Albion I was riding in.

dalpal
Apr. 29, 2008, 06:02 PM
I think they are a scam.

I tried one and my horse moved better...then I put the stirrups on it and HATED it.
turns out my horse moves better in any saddle that fits him better then that dang Albion I was riding in.

Why are they a "scam" just because you don't' like them. :confused: It's just another idea out there, works for some, doesn't for others.

Vineyard Farm
May. 1, 2008, 11:54 AM

Most all higher quality saddles are made with a tree with some "give" to them; the PS Passier tree with the bamboo is a prime example. from the Passier website:

In order to achieve the high degree of flexibility, several bamboo strips are worked into the saddle tree.

A completely rigid saddle tree is not very horse friendly, IMHO. The horse's back is a dynamic structure, and any good saddle should accommodate for that.

rev80
May. 3, 2008, 12:24 PM
I ride a lot of my horses in Sommer saddles and love them. Many of my clients have bought them, and my trainer rides in them as well. I've never been a proponent of a "this is the only saddle that will work for your horse" mentality, but I have to say, I'm thrilled with the way that my Sommers allow many of my horses much more freedom in their backs and shoulders, and for some horses who always felt a little tight in the ribcage and wither and were a little backed off/behind the leg, these saddles were absolutely life changing for them. They also happen to fit my body conformation really, really well, so I feel that I'm a more effective rider and trainer in them because it's where I'm most comfortable. Beth and Marty (at The Horse of Course) are great people to work with, too. If anyone is thinking of trying them and wants more info about my own experiences, feel free to pm me about it--they are definitely worth checking out! Sorry if I sound like an infomercial, but I do love my saddle, and I've never felt so strongly about any other saddle I've owned/ridden in.

see u at x
May. 28, 2008, 10:47 AM
My Sommer isn't the Flextra (I don't have that kind of cash to throw around, either), but I love, love, love my Magnus and so does my mare. I think they're really nice, quality saddles, and if you shop around a little, you don't have to break the bank buying one, either.

dalpal
Dec. 3, 2008, 04:39 PM
Just wanted to chime in again...I have now ridden in the Flextra and the Espirit (Espirt is a dual flap/cheaper..but still has the flex tree)..and I preferred the Espirit hands down. I hated the knee block on the Flextra and just couldn't find my balance...whereas the Espirit just put me in place.

Ambrey
Dec. 3, 2008, 05:19 PM
[edit]

My mom is petite and she was trying to ride in a Wintec Pro and finding it hard. She just bought a Neirdersuss Symphonie, and it is built overall much smaller- shorter flaps, etc. It's going to be really fun for me to ride in it (NOT!) but it's a great set-up for smaller people!

Plus the leather is like fluffy marshmallows- easily as nice in leather quality as my Schleese.

Spiritpaws
Dec. 4, 2008, 06:58 AM
I've been riding in a Flextra for two years and I love it just as much now as when I bought it. Being able to adjust it as the horse develops is really a plus (the advantage of a flexible tree). I remember when my (now retired) GP horse was in a County Connection and was told by the saddle fitter that I had to buy a new one because the tree no longer fit him. He was only in the County for four years.

Back in the late 1970s I had a Somer von neindorf and I loved that saddle then (the mono flap, close to the horse feeling). So I guess I am a Somer fan :-)

Equibrit
Dec. 6, 2008, 08:33 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Theo-Sommer-Savoie-Flextra-Dressage-Saddle_W0QQitemZ220323459660QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ2 0081204?IMSfp=TL081204124010r9811
No bids - ends on Monday.

black jack
Dec. 6, 2008, 11:29 PM
The one on ebay is a 17 inch which is harder to sale in any saddle.

Ambrey
Dec. 6, 2008, 11:32 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/17-1-2-Sommer-Dressage-Saddle_W0QQitemZ230307306402QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_ DefaultDomain_0?hash=item230307306402&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A4|65%3A13|39%3A1|240%3A1318 (http://cgi.ebay.com/17-1-2-Sommer-Dressage-Saddle_W0QQitemZ230307306402QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_ DefaultDomain_0?hash=item230307306402&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A4%7C65%3A13%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318)

kansasgal
Dec. 7, 2008, 05:03 AM
Does anyone know how it compares with other models?

Thanks in advance.

Invite
Dec. 7, 2008, 06:24 PM
I have a Sommer Esprit for my TB gelding. I bought it about 5 years ago and love it. The first day I rode him in it, I got several super positive comments about the improvement in his movement. The saddle really freed up his large shoulders and allowed him to bring his back up and float across the arena like a superstar!!! The saddle made him easier to ride because it made him more comfortable, thus happier and more willing.
For myself, I find the Esprit very comfy. I got it on clearance and I think I got the deal of a lifetime.

AnaHorseMegaMarket
Oct. 12, 2011, 10:35 AM
Ive been riding in my Sommer Savoie Flextra for 2 years now, and absolutley love it!! I went through hell finding a saddle to fit me and my horse, i owned an Albion, Bates, Hennig and tried just about every brand on the market, before sattled with my Sommer:) I love it, and so does my horse. If you have a chance to try one you definatley should!