PDA

View Full Version : Its amazing what you can find....

JackSprats Mom
Jan. 8, 2008, 09:16 PM
I just thought I'd post this as it always amazes me when one man's slaughter horse is another man's treasure (so to speak).

Look at his amazing little $700 pony!

http://www.columbiabasinequinerescue.org/DEF-HorsesProfile.asp?HoID=540

rabicon
Jan. 8, 2008, 09:35 PM
pretty cool :)

StrawberryFrosted
Jan. 8, 2008, 11:08 PM
What a cool story! Thanks for the post! This pony is sooo pretty!

ride-n-tx
Jan. 9, 2008, 12:11 AM
you know what, i have to say that i like the way that girl thinks! :)

Great story!!

Centuree
Jan. 9, 2008, 12:39 AM
That is very cool - but looking at the horses on the website that were still at the feedlot is so sad, poor guys, I wonder what their stories are, how did they end up there?

Rusty Stirrup
Jan. 9, 2008, 08:09 AM
Great story. Anyone old enough to remember Snowman?

AnotherRound
Jan. 9, 2008, 11:15 AM
Anyone been around these boards long enough to remember CBER?

Ghazzu
Jan. 9, 2008, 11:21 AM

Boy, howdy!

WBLover
Jan. 9, 2008, 01:43 PM
No, but I have seen that the fuglyhorse blogger HATES them and bashes them every chance she gets.

Care to fill us in?

drjonesmvb
Jan. 9, 2008, 01:48 PM
Snowman? Harry deLeyer's jumper? he's a legend and I grew up learning about him, b/c they had a barn near where I lived- didn't think i was that old, though??! :winkgrin:

So many great stories with our rescued babies!! just wish there were homes for all of them-

caffeinated
Jan. 9, 2008, 01:49 PM
WBLover, CBER and their members were banned from posting pleas here, as they came on very frequently with "The Truck Is Coming!!!!" attempts at fundraising.

Since then I haven't paid MUCH attention to them but do know that there have been several incidents involving these feedlot horses going to people who neglected them, one case involving abuse of the D.Spink kind, and another case where the friends of Barbaro paid the "bail" on some horses to find out that later CBER put them down by shooting them (the big issue there being that CBER never said a thing about it to the people who had PAID for the horses, who might have been willing to scrap together and find a different solution). I think there are a whole bunch of other things, but I don't know the specifics.

Then, there's also a contraversy over their "tactics"- a lot of people feel that the deal they have with the feedlot owner doesn't really save many horses and puts a lot more money in the pockets of the wrong people, which just allows them to go buy MORE horses to send to slaughter (basically, the FO is earning a lot more income on these horses by appealing to "rescuers"- then pockets that money and can go buy twice as many horses to send down the line)

All that aside, it's really a cute pony and I'm glad it got a second chance at a good life :) Sometimes you can find really great ones in the most unlikely places...

cholmberg
Jan. 10, 2008, 09:53 AM
Search for them in the past threads. Here's one I remember well.

http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=80518&highlight=CBER

Kimberlee
Jan. 10, 2008, 12:33 PM
That was a great success story to read. Thank you for posting the link.

enjoytheride
Jan. 10, 2008, 04:57 PM
They sell horses for a dealer for higher prices then you could purchase a horse on your own direct from an auction or from the dealer himself. They are not a rescue because they make a profit on all the horses they "rescue" and they work with the dealer. So he keeps finidng horses and they keep helping by sellling them for him.

Wigwag
Jan. 10, 2008, 05:05 PM

can open...........worms everywhere! :lol:

Don't have to be around coth to know the story of CBER. :no:

JackSprats Mom
Jan. 10, 2008, 11:13 PM
Oops didn't know all the background info on CBER and certainly didn't post with the intention to start a train wreck...I just thought it was a great little pony :yes:

WBLover
Jan. 11, 2008, 09:43 AM
Sorry, I didn't mean to take it in that direction....I agree, it's a great story and a beeeyouteeful little pony! I hope I can find a diamond in the rough like that one for my daughter!

coffee-crisp
Jan. 13, 2008, 01:00 AM
IMO, CBER sucks... but what a lovely pony, and two hooves up to them for doing so well :D It's not the horses' faults that CBER sucks!