PDA

View Full Version : Is there such a thing as an "accident-prone" horse?

Invested1
Jan. 8, 2008, 01:28 PM
If yes, I have him. :sigh: :lol:

Coming right on the heels of my horse (literally) slitting his throat in November, I got a call yesterday morning that I needed to go see him.

Idiot had somehow managed to impale himself with something and now has a TWO INCH DEEP hole in his chest!! :eek: The vet said that the chance of it causing any permanent damage is "very slim" but we're looking at a good few weeks off and huge vet bill. :sigh: I swear sometimes that he does it on purpose-- I've been out of town the past 2 weeks and I'm guessing he just missed me and wanted my attention. He got it. :lol:

It's always something with him....

inquisitive
Jan. 8, 2008, 01:32 PM
It's always something with him....
I think I've told my trainer this as I cancelled lessons at least 5 times this winter :lol:

Although I can't be too upset because once it was due to my sprained ankle (I cancelled multiple lessons, jump judging, and two HT entries)...

Want to start the "Owner of Horse(s) who require(s) BUBBLEWRAP" clique? :D

Sorry to hear about it but hopefully he'll be OK!

Blugal
Jan. 8, 2008, 01:50 PM
Card-carrying member. If you put them in a padded stall they will get hock rubs, or if you bubble-wrapped them, they would try to eat it and choke.

WindWillowStable
Jan. 8, 2008, 01:52 PM
I own the most accident prone horse in history!!! I got him as a 3-year-old as a resell project and in the first week of owning him I had the vet out 3 times to put stitches in because he ran through and flipped over 3 fences :eek:! Why he chose to go towards the fence in a 12 acre field I will never know! :no:

Then 4 months after buying him, he lost his eye -- due to a fungal infection but still another reason to go to the vet and this time he had to spend 2 months at Auburn University vet school trying to fight the fungus.

A couple of years later when he was finally jumping well and showing he came in from the field with a torn tendon sheath which ended his career; I was just happy he came back to be sound, I thought I was going to have to put him down.

A few months after that he ran through another fence and got a puncture wound to his hock, which somehow didn't end up getting infected.

Most recently, he came in with a swollen face and it appears he slammed his cheek bone into something (on his blind side) but I decided against calling the vet because I really just didn't think they could do much.

All of this and I forgot to mention he is constantly beat up by other horses, he used to even get beat up by his 12 hand pony pasture mate. I thought about turning him out alone but he just loves other horses so much, I think he would rather have bully friends than no friends at all. I got to where I packed for horse shows a thing of that stuff that is like spray paint to cover up skinned up places because I could guarantee if we left for the show with no cuts or scrapes then he would sure as hell find a way to skin himself up on the way to the show.

Poor little guy but I love him, he is like my "special one." So much for having a resell project...he is now 12 and I think he has turned out to be the most expensive horse in my barn....and I swear he will be the horse that lives to be 50 and I will be paying his vet bills all the way! :lol:

mjrtango93
Jan. 8, 2008, 01:54 PM
Ok so we have a gelding who is now 18 (lord only knows how he's made it this far) that stuff started happening at 2. He was chased into a water trough as a 2 year old. Then stepped on a nail and was almost put down at 4, then he had the odd almost broken leg, getting chased through a cattle guard, flipping in the trailer, falling down a cliff, and name any other odd thing and its happened. I can count 5 times that the vet was called to come put him down and he pulled through. Just wierd *ss stuff happens to him.

Then we have a 4 year old that somehow just about decapitated himself on the guide wire of a telephone power pole in turn out when he jumped the fence. Took 3 hours to find him (we had to search over 1000 acres)

Then there is our OTTB that just had the last 8 months off. Started as a pulled shoe, then an abcess, then she went bonkers in her stall and banged her tendon, then she had a bruised hoof on the other side, then she banged her splint bone, then she hit her head. I mean come on 8 months off and it started as a pulled shoe? Talk about accident prone!

inquisitive
Jan. 8, 2008, 01:55 PM
Card-carrying member. If you put them in a padded stall they will get hock rubs, or if you bubble-wrapped them, they would try to eat it and choke.

You're right! Bubblewrap may not be the answer... isn't there anything we can do?! :lol:

toeknee
Jan. 8, 2008, 02:13 PM
Ha this is great! I want to join the clique! My young OTTB always is finding a way to do some harm to himself(although not as horrible as some of the previous posters!) and better yet if he isn't hurting himself he likes to do harm to others. He has taught the others just how to injure themselves to stay out of work. In 2007 out of my three horses it was a rare occasion if all were healthy and sound at the same time! Hopefully turning over a new leaf in 2008!!!... I wish I could just put them in bubbles and turn them out! They could just float around bouncing into things:) ha keep dreaming!

Avra
Jan. 8, 2008, 02:31 PM
Chest wounds heal really well, if that's any consolation :) We had a mare a couple of years ago that got double barrelled out in the field--two big, nasty, wounds that swelled up like boobs. But they healed clean with minimal treatment--no stitches or anything. She doesn't have any scars even.

AngelEventer
Jan. 8, 2008, 02:39 PM
YES! - and I own her. Bought her in May, brought her home. 2 weeks later (actually, not even 2 weeks) gets a puncture on her leg - no big deal, but SMZ's etc. for a while. Goes well for a bit. 2 weeks later - take her to my cousin's to ride (I don't have a ring and she lives 5 min. away) - mare is EXCELLENT. We're FINALLY getting somewhere - put her on the trailer, take her the 5 min home, take her off the trailer and she is 3 legged - will NOT put weight on L hind. UH OH. Call vet, make her comfortable, he's coming out first thing in the AM. Can't find anything - draw fluid off the hock and she has a staff infection in her left hock... NO INJURY to the leg. And the puncture she'd previously gotten was on the R hind, not L. Gets Penecillin, Gentozen, etc. for a while. Infection goes away - horse still lame and hock is getting BIGGER? Vet comes out to draw more fluid off and PISSS - blood comes squirting out. She has a hematoma. 6 months off. It's now January and she is JUST coming back into work. Hopefully this time it will last!

MTshowjumper
Jan. 8, 2008, 02:46 PM
My mare is in the club and has the scars to prove it. She is covered in old scars! People actually comment on it. "So whats this one from? ...and this one? ...and this one?" She has impaled herself twice in the chest, gouged a big hole out of her neck, ripped her lip so she now has a hare lip, ripped off the heel of her hind hoof (Had to be off for a year to grow her hoof back)

Those are just the big visable scars. She gets into fights, abcesses, gets puncture wounds, gets her legs caught in ???, on a regular basis. Last week I showed up to ride her 15 mins after the BM turned her out. She was still standing at the gate, and yet had somehow done something in the last 15 mins to tear up the inside of her hind legs and was making a pool of blood just by standing there. I have never owned any horse like her. She is the best horse I've ever had though, so I guess it is a trade off.

seajay
Jan. 8, 2008, 02:49 PM
Aren't they all equipped with a self destruct button at birth?

RAyers
Jan. 8, 2008, 03:02 PM
I think someone here once said, "Every horse is born destined with a specific place to die and they spend their entire life looking for it."

Reed

Roney
Jan. 8, 2008, 03:10 PM
Mine must have that gene, too. Anyone find a cure???

Best example? He had his leg stitched up for a laceration by the vet. I put him in his stall to hold another horse, and by the time I went back to check on him, he'd gotten a huge bloody gash over his eye. :sigh: At least we only paid for one barn call...

Invested1
Jan. 8, 2008, 03:11 PM
She is the best horse I've ever had though, so I guess it is a trade off.

Ditto. :sigh:

Invested1
Jan. 8, 2008, 03:11 PM
Chest wounds heal really well, if that's any consolation :)

Yes, it does, thanks! :D

Tuckertoo
Jan. 8, 2008, 03:36 PM

I'm in, although he might eat it.:D

Or maybe "Owner of Horse(s) with no common sense" clique.

Mine fits both. First he gets kicked in the knee (after multiple warnings from other horses) on three different occasions and it gets blown up and he's lame for a little bit. That knee looks a little funny now, but it's alright (miraculously) because we've taken x-rays of it to make sure. Then he comes in from turnout and I find him with a huge gash/slice in his side that requires lots of stiches. Then he gets kicked in the shoulder and has it sliced open. Then he goes and gets his forehead split/gouged... we still don't really know how he managed it. I'm afraid to say it, but I think he's due for another sometime soon... :sigh:

He now goes out by himself because he just can't learn the regular warnings from other horses and so doesn't know when to back off. You'd think he would have learned by now........

chism
Jan. 8, 2008, 04:58 PM
If yes, I have him. :sigh: :lol:

I don't see how that's possible since he lives at my house. ;) I think it's definitely an OTTB thing.

WindWillowStable
Jan. 8, 2008, 05:09 PM
I think it's definitely an OTTB thing.

I agree. I think OTTB don't learn to interact with horses well, not to mention their mentality is to run..run as fast as you can without looking, just run!

mademoiselle
Jan. 8, 2008, 05:17 PM
Count me in ...

My horse Ski is something else ...

He jumped out of the round pen, yes the metal ones that are at leat 6' :eek: and destroyed his back ankle (joint infection, surgery, bla, blan bla).

Then he rolled, a buckle got undone on his blanket, he freaked out, jumped out of the indoor and flipped on the concrete when he landed and stepped on the blanket that was around his neck.

Then he punctured his left hind coffin bone (yes, an other joint infection and 3 surgeries) stepping on a burried T Post in a 6 acre field :yes:

Then he tore his check ligament stepping in a hole.

By then he became a pasture ornament ...

Then he got Potomac horse fever (despite the boosters and being up to date for everything)

He scratched the cornea of his eye and ulcered ...

And the last but not the least, broke his jaw this past summer (surgery, screws, braces ... you name it). He caught his teeth somewhere and just pulled as hard as he could to get free.

So, is it enough to be part of the clique ?:lol::D:no::eek::confused:

Seriously, it almost looks like I'm making this up ... It's just surreal.

stellarsporthorses
Jan. 8, 2008, 05:31 PM
I cant top some of the ones here, but I wonder if I am an accident prone horse buyer!
First guy (on the profile pic) got mycotoxins, once we moved that resolved, hurt his back, resolved, accidentally pushed me over and nearly broke my leg standing on me (that was a couple months off for me) resolved, smashed his head against something and fractured his face/nasal bones - that was a couple months off for him and a few xrays - resolved, hurt his back - resolved, fell that week being silly in the paddock, hurt his back again - resolved!! SOLD! I had a yound one who that week stabbed his leg, 4 months of bandages - resolved, hurt his back - (WTF?!) - resolved, puts back leg thru the fence, 2 months bandages - Property sold!!! No more hill, no more hurt backs! My better horse was 12 and just died of Cancer (at 12! WTF?!) my young one has just been sacked as he is no good for eventing (nearly ready to give up completely now!!) But have a new one off the track, love her - I really hope she isnt accident prone!!

Jazzy Lady
Jan. 8, 2008, 05:39 PM
Okay... most of the posters who've been on here for a while heard about my old mare!!

Well, after we upgraded to training she slipped in her paddock... by herself... and fractured her elbow. She was at Guelph for surgery for 10 days. Insurance covered everything. She wasn't allowed to lie down when I brought her home, so I rigged up the same system as Guelph had to keep her standing but she tried anyway... that night. Ripped open ALL her stitches and had to go back to Guelph. For an entire month... not covered by insurance.

Then when she was competing again and had just finished a Novice level short course, she decided to get herself tangled in the fence. Post between her front and hind, her left side under the bottom board, her right over the bottom board. We had to take apart the whole fenceline.

Then she was okay for a bit. I donated her to a college because I couldn't afford two horses and wanted a good place where she would have lots of attention and a job. Right after her trial period was done and they decided to keep her, she put her hind leg in the manure conveyor belt and they thought it was broken. Luckily not.

SHE is an accident prone horse. :eek:

mjrtango93
Jan. 8, 2008, 05:45 PM
Sorry about losing your horse to cancer. The 2 we lost from cancer that where young as well. The mare went from being fine to lymphoma (sp?) to dead in 4 weeks. She was fine, then lost a little weight, by day 5 lost about 100-125 pounds :eek:. At week 2 the Dr's wanted to euthanize her but insurance was a pain. At week 4 the owner put her down before respitory distress. Horrible thing is he was diagnosed with lymphoma at the same time! He found out he had cancer in her 3rd week. Talk about hard to look on the bright side when you are putting down your horse for the same reason. Owner lived though, horse was only 10!

Then 2 months ago we lost our beloved fjord lesson horse at 11 years of age to stomach cancer. He had a bad summer lost a ton of weight (never found the cancer, but a fjord that doesn't eat????? somethings wrong) he turned around on prednisone (they thought it was IBD) even had weaned off, then we found him down in his stall the next day. Took him to Davis and he had ruptured his stomach, and we said goodbye.

Cancer is terrible to deal with! Mine is being classified as pre-leukemic. He has terrible blood counts, a poor bone marrow asperate, and has had some wierd bouts of lethargy, but can't find the cancer. This started when he was 11 with an EIPH episode, then 2 cardiac episodes and 4 years later he's still around and looks good as ever!

farmeress
Jan. 8, 2008, 05:53 PM
My horse is an accident that happens.

Forget the bubble wrap...with my luck, he would sufficate in it...or...one of the bubbles would break and the flow of air would blow him off his feet to the ground injuring something.

He could be in a padded room and trip, cutting himself on the soft fabric.

My ponys' gene pool could use some chlorine....but it would probably hurt his eyes.

FoxChaser
Jan. 8, 2008, 05:56 PM
Where is annikak- Taco would surely count!!! I'm afraid that my latest purchase is going to be one of "those horses". I've had him since August and have had the vet out here to put him back together where he got caught in our 4-plank, for a poisonous spider bite on the neck and ensuing hematoma on the chest, and have begun to treat him for ulcers. There is also the monthly purchase of new bell boots and daily treatment of lumps and scratches where he has gotten dinged while playing with my other horse. Husband's horse just stands out of their way!

kcooper
Jan. 8, 2008, 06:37 PM
I've got one -- my list is not as long as some -- but she is only 4. I've had her for 5 months and she has had to see the vet 3 times, plus she has had numerous injuries that I tended to myself. I had to get special permission from the ground jury at her first event b/c she had a cut on her pastern that needed to be debrided two days before the competition. She jumped clean tho -- after just two times xc schooling and only knowing me for 6 weeks. She is super smart -- to curious for her own good I think. I just wish she was not so covered in stable bandages right now. I have not been able to ride her since T-day due to injuries -- cuts, bruises and other stuff. It's so frustrating. I had hoped she'd outgrow it, but this thread does not give me much hope!

kacey'srider
Jan. 8, 2008, 06:45 PM
I think I've told my trainer this as I cancelled lessons at least 5 times this winter :lol:

Although I can't be too upset because once it was due to my sprained ankle (I cancelled multiple lessons, jump judging, and two HT entries)...

Sorry to hear about it but hopefully he'll be OK!

YES!!!

I won't go over the list, since I have owned him since day one. And, I am very particular about things and take very good care of my horses. Just ask Ssance. He was injured at six years old. No good ol' cowboy was worthy of taking him, lame or not, and has been a pasture ornament since. He is now 21 and living the good life... STILL.

My horse is pretty much bubble wrapped the second he gets in the trailer. You should see our stadium get up. With belly guard, complete with sheepskin padding on either side b/c he rubs raw spots, Mattes sheep skin pad under the saddle, and fleece lined boots.

In the words of my trainer "He is a very well cared for horse."

I don't know what else I can do!

He got a bone scan today to find out what is wrong with him.

I will gladly be a charter member of the "Owner of Horses who require bubble wrap!" Clique!

mademoiselle
Jan. 8, 2008, 06:50 PM
Yes, Annika is missing the fun ... Nobody can top Taco ...Ski is trying but I'm still far, far behind:eek:

Come on Annika, join in

Kcisawesome
Jan. 8, 2008, 07:04 PM
Yup.

My mother's morgan mare is reaching her twenties. To date, in her whole life, she has had one small coughing cold and one stone bruise. And other than that has been 100% sound and healthy.

However...I currently have a horse who has the injury of the day. He is very clumsy and has an interesting reponse..like can poke and push and yell all you want and he will only move away from you if you threaten him with corporal punishment (whip)....Then he scrambles overhimself and hurts himself...

I think he does the same thing out in the pasture. THe horses warn and bite at him and he ignores them..until they lunge at him and then he scrambles and hurts himself.

Currently his hind left leg is hard and un-clean although he seems sound on it, both his hips have huge door-way injurys. He has somesort of stone bruise or absess on his front right and today his girth/chest (on the left side) was enlarged about 2-3 inches out.

needless to say the Vet is coming out Thursday, lol. Poor guy...Hes so cute though.

stellarsporthorses
Jan. 8, 2008, 07:13 PM
it was very distressing, it was undiagnosed until the euthanasia stage, so I was having my horse put down and still no idea why, he had so many other things go wrong we just couldnt diagnose it, he got pnuemonia, went blind in one eye and started bleeding from his nose. He went downhill so fast it was incredible. I never in a million years thought it would come to that. I produced him to sell but never got around to it, was going to make it happen this year. I am just so grateful he died with me before that happened. He wasnt insured unfortunately, though probably just as well as we didnt have time for an insurance company to muck around.

Lori B
Jan. 8, 2008, 07:14 PM
My SO must never never never read this thread, or I'll never be able to get a horse. Yikes! I'm going to have nightmares when I sleep tonight.

I hope you all get indestructible horses next time 'round!

Terrysmom
Jan. 8, 2008, 07:17 PM
Let's see got Terry when she was 3 1/2 in Virginia from the track in NJ...then 2 years later decided to move to Texas....
I think she is getting even with me for the hot summers

1. tried to get thru open gate ahead of me, at least 3/4 open, manages to get hip caught on very, very edge of the gate....hair rips off, exposed skin frm point to the middle of her hip, looks at me like what did you do!?:eek:
2. stable hands are trying to get a horse up next door that wont stand (which happened to be my other senior horse who was gvn some muscles relaxers and was finally able to lie down-but that is another story), she is startled out of her sleep, hits her eye on the wall, small cut at 8am, size of softball at 12pm and closed shut so tight cant get open even a little to see if eye is damage.
3. fainted 2x. :yes: just standing there minding her own business, one time grazing, one time after we had finished cool down and i was getting ready to dismount.......boom.....hits the ground, split lip.....and again the looks at me like "what did you do?" (vet did decide that this was her getting used to the hot summers (2year in tx) never happened to her again
4. time off this past winter, one night switching out blanket and surprise! swelling the size of a basketball on the front of her stifle-never a lame step but geez that swelling was hard to work out of that area
5. Oh I did forget in VA, fogging the barn for mosquitoes at 430p every day for maybe three months....one day she decides the barn is "on fire" and as mentioned before--did what any OTTB would do---went to run for her life.....hit the water bucket----the water bucket----split her leg open, blood spurting, try catching an OTTB running run her stall like her tail is on fire, spraying blood everywhere, trying to put on halter and keep hand over the spray (this did take talent:D)....then 12 stitches later (huge vet bill--weekend call, you know) and a white mark for the 1/8 inch cut we (vet and I ) decided not to stitch. no white mark from the stitches go figure!

Wont even mention the possible spider bite (mysterious, unexplained swelling-vet bill), her mysteriously falling down in the trailer (hates slant loads-didnt want to tell....had to show me) on way to a clinic that i had been waiting months for...

Ironic thing is I wouldnt trade Terry for anything, she is " my familiar". I wonder what that says about me:lol:

Roney
Jan. 8, 2008, 08:47 PM
There is also the monthly purchase of new bell boots...

Glad it isn't just me. I'm considering adding bell boots to my monthly SmartPak shipment...

inquisitive
Jan. 9, 2008, 08:22 AM
Alright, since many have agreed that even bubblewrap can be dangerous, I think we need a new name :D Suggestions?

chism
Jan. 9, 2008, 09:21 AM
I just thought of a name for our clique. The bubble wrap brigade. ;)

mademoiselle
Jan. 9, 2008, 09:30 AM
What about 'I paid for my vet's brand new truck clique' ... :D

horsecents
Jan. 9, 2008, 09:38 AM
A vet once told me the "horses are the only animals bred to self destruct". ;)

mjrtango93
Jan. 9, 2008, 09:44 AM
Why is it that we all take such great care of our horses wrapping them, tending to every little cut and scrape, ensuring that our fencing is safe, making sure Dobbin and Joe don't go out together because they don't get along so Dobbin goes out with Frank instead........yet those freakin backyard horses turned out in barbed wire pastures with no protection and no care NEVER GET HURT!!! I mean seriously :no:! If I turned my horse out in a barb wire pasture with trailers and tarps and garbage I am pretty sure he would spook at the garbage trip over the trailer and somehow end up in the barbed wire and require some big hospital trip with possibly an ICU stay just for good measure.

bambam
Jan. 9, 2008, 10:15 AM
I am a member of that clique- I actually told my vet that I wanted a plaque with my name on each of the pieces of equipment I bought him :lol:
The COTH posters who say you should have your vet do your horse's shots even if you know how to do it yourself just so the vet sees your horse a couple of times a year and gets to know them always crack me up :lol: who are these people that don't have their vet's numbers memorized for all the after-hours calls they have to make (when I call my vet practice that has 20,000 plus clients and say "Hi, this is bambam" they not only know who I am, but ask about my horses by name :no:- not a good sign)
I don't think my gelding is accident prone, I think he is actually trying to kill himself - he has done the kamikaze act (running full speed into an immobile object- he almost succeeded on that attempt) and right after I saw Million Dollar Baby and must have discussed it in front of him, he was on stall rest and bit off part of his own tongue :eek: I just don't think it was a coincidence
So far I think Ski is winning this contest but that is probably only because Annikak has not posted yet

purplnurpl
Jan. 9, 2008, 10:41 AM
Boomer finally grew out of it.
But I have the new guy.
Good grief.

Last night Endeavor broke his head. Literally.
I have a piece of his jaw in my living room.

toeknee
Jan. 9, 2008, 10:44 AM
I don't think my gelding is accident prone, I think he is actually trying to kill himself That is hillarious!!!!

annikak
Jan. 9, 2008, 11:56 AM
Hi there! well, yeah, I am here.... Taco does count, I think...um...so to start? Infected Sesamoid bone- at NBC for 6 weeks, on Baytril for 3+months.

So, just off Baytril and got a small cut on his knee, which became infected- about 90 cc's of d/c every hour for at least a week was espressed. So,baytril for 6 more weeks. BTW- he was at the place to be sold when the knee happened- took 2 days for this cut to happen.

Then...um...Managed to pull his bell boot up to his cannon bone- over his fetlock, and get it stuck there. Cellulitis from that. HAd to be hospitalized at MSU.

Then, he jumped a gate, or something like that and got stuck in the bars- this was the 2nd night at a boarding barn so I could ride him- not indoor then. Wound on his stifle and front leg from that, but that was only smz's for a month. Back home he came.

Then, he was SO happy to see me come home one day, he ran into a branch and slightly cut his stifle- took him RIGHT away to MSU, where they called him a wimp as it measured less then 5 mm deep- no drugs. BUT! Not so wimpy- he actually really did something, and ended up at Rood and RIddle on Chlorenphenichol (sp) for 6 weeks. Poor Pregnant vet that thought to stick a swab up in it- the puss sprang out for at least 10 min. That took forever to heal.... 4 different types of bacteria were found on culture...2 were anerobic.

Then, the Splint from Hell....kept on laying down more bone. It's ugly.

THEN- we actually get into a real season- 2 in fact! Seems he has bad luck- at Wayne. he stepped on his clinch- but other then that, it was just normal horse stuff. But nothing compared to his leg that happend Jan of 07!

Yes, most of you know his leg story.

But in addition to that, he developed uveitis, which was (of course) not a normal uveitis...2 surgerys, and not so good at recovery for that last one. Seazures post surgery. So many eye ulcers I have lost count.

During this time, a stall door has been kicked out and he had staples in his (other) back leg. He has more head wounds that I care to remember, only one that I called for stitches. He has had mouth ulcers to beat the band, and has had a few on his body, too- strange sores that just open up.

And, sadly, I know I am forgetting things. The hard thing is this- he does not heal well. The leg is still not healed- and its a year and a week after it happened. It appears to be opening up again. ARGH!! He also has 2 other sores that have been open for well over 3 years- small ones, but they are still there....

What we have learned. He is a mama's boy and stays with his mom no matter what. I have great friends that are vets. And sometimes not matter what you do to protect them, it just does not work. And, I agree, I will be paying his vet bills when he is 30, no doubt. Well, prob not- if I cannot keep him in work, indeed he will find some way to kill himself. The vets and I find tricky ways to keep him in work, as once he gets into a program, he does very well. It's just the getting him there part that is hard.

But, he sure can jump, and he sure is a great horse to me. Easy and Taco do not belong together in the same sentence, but I adore him. We indeed do have quite a bond!

Invested1
Jan. 9, 2008, 12:34 PM
I think it's definitely an OTTB thing.

Yup, mine too!! :yes:

Invested1
Jan. 9, 2008, 12:52 PM
There is also the monthly purchase of new bell boots and daily treatment of lumps and scratches where he has gotten dinged while playing with my other horse.

Yup, I have those too! :lol:

Invested1
Jan. 9, 2008, 12:56 PM
when I call my vet practice that has 20,000 plus clients and say "Hi, this is bambam" they not only know who I am, but ask about my horses by name :no:- not a good sign

Heh, ditto. Every time I call and say, "Hi, this is Invested1," they reply, "Oh hi! How's Invested?" :lol:

purplnurpl
Jan. 9, 2008, 04:21 PM
Heh, ditto. Every time I call and say, "Hi, this is Invested1," they reply, "Oh hi! How's Invested?" :lol:

I prefer just to make a tentative app every month.
: )

I really had to do that with Booms when he was a 3-5 year old. so sad.

RAyers
Jan. 9, 2008, 06:15 PM
I now actually have autodeductions directly to my vet taken from my paycheck whether I use them or not.

Reed

annikak
Jan. 9, 2008, 07:29 PM
I now actually have autodeductions directly to my vet taken from my paycheck whether I use them or not.

Reed

me too! Well, Kinda- Care Credit gets 1k a month from me- no ending date!;)

horsekpr
Jan. 9, 2008, 08:26 PM
How this species was not wiped out through evolution,I will never know. I have a theory that they don't realize that they have evolved from the tiny cat like creatures that they started out as ,and they still think they are itty bitty. It would explain a wide range of phobias,such as fear of water ,and fear of cows,and plastic bags,and squirrels,etc.... It would also explain why they always try to jump on top of you when frightend.they think you will catch them. might account for all the running into stuff they do.They think they are small enough to avoid impact.:yes:

Waddles
Jan. 9, 2008, 10:24 PM
It would also explain why they always try to jump on top of you when frightend.they think you will catch them. might account for all the running into stuff they do.They think they are small enough to avoid impact.:yes:

lol...what a great conversation. Yeah, there's one in my barn...not quite as impressive as some of the others here though!

Shortly after his owner bought him - before she actually trailered him home - he broke his withers in a wash rack. Healed from that nicely but has had numerous other 'regular' horsey things. Notably he crashed/jumped into a metal fence (jail break??) and last month somehow pulled off the electric fence, wrapped it around his leg, and was off for three weeks. First day vet said he was safe to turn out, he re-opened the wound by getting in a fight with another horse. It IS amazing horses are not extinct, especially judging by the other stories here!! :yes:

Sancudo
Jan. 9, 2008, 11:02 PM
My vet and I are so close now, we buy eachother Xmas presents and swap CDs.

ALL My horses are accident prone.

It started when I lost my first horse to intestinal cancer.

The "Special One" came next, with 1 good year, then 4 tendon and ligament problems later, 5 abcesses, and one ringbone, torn butt muscle, and splint; he is now the IRAPP legend.

The Mare is my good one- only a broken leg. Well, it was origionally a puncture wound ( in a treeless paddock, with electric rope fencing!?) that HAD to of course, hit at the exact point where it would shatter her splint bone into 6 peices. Yup, surgery. Although, she never took a lame step from it.

inquisitive
Jan. 10, 2008, 09:11 AM
Last night my horse came in with a big gash on his neck. Luckily it doesn't need stitches but I swear it never ends!

I need your votes!
It never ends
It's always something
Accident-prone horse
Horse who is an accident waiting to happen
Horses who require bubblewrap
Bubble wrap brigade
I paid for my vet's brand new truck
Owner of a horse trying to self-destruct
Owner of a horse trying to kill himself

Invested1
Jan. 10, 2008, 09:20 AM
Last night my horse came in with a big gash on his neck. Luckily it doesn't need stitches but I swear it never ends!

I need your votes!
It never ends
It's always something
Accident-prone horse
Bubble wrap brigade

I like "Owner of an accident-prone horse" or "I pay for my vet's new toys." :D

GotSpots
Jan. 10, 2008, 09:37 AM
I like "Owner of an accident-prone horse" or "I pay for my vet's new toys." :D Sorry, honey, I've already claimed at least partial naming rights to the new electronics at VEI . . .

Invested1
Jan. 10, 2008, 09:38 AM
Sorry, honey, I've already claimed at least partial naming rights to the new electronics at VEI . . .

:lol:

Now we just need a name for the clique..... :D

MommaMare
Jan. 10, 2008, 10:33 AM
Yes, yes, and yes again. Had a horse who (when he wasn't undergoing the four major dental surgeries he had to fix some chronic neglect of his teeth) "fishhooked" himself on one of those four-pronged tack-cleaning hooks. Someone had clipped it up outside of his stall (stupid) and he was "playing" with it when it got stuck - went right through his cheek. That was fun. The next year he got out of the vet school's ICU after being diagnosed with both EPM and EPSM (double whammy!) and the next day, when being led out for his turnout virtually covered in bubble wrap, ripped away from me (in leather halter and shank because that's the safe way, right?) and when leather shank didn't break when he stepped on it, embedded the chain on the shank in the bone, right across his nose. That was fun, too. Same horse also so traumatized his feet by pawing for dinner that he wound up with some laminitis...

WindWillowStable
Jan. 10, 2008, 04:37 PM

I need your votes!
It never ends
It's always something
Accident-prone horse
Bubble wrap brigade

I like "horses who require bubblewrap or bubble wrap brigade" but I'm really not picky about anything...especially since we all realized our horses would still find a way to hurt themselves even wrapped in bubble wrap!

Invested1
Jan. 21, 2008, 01:02 PM
So, I just got a call from a friend of mine at the barn that the moron has a nice new "gash" over his eye which needs a vet look. Thankfully (?), the vet is already headed out to look at his 2 week old chest wound (which, in my opinion, is dang near totally healed!).

Seriously!??! :sigh:

inquisitive
Jan. 21, 2008, 01:08 PM
Q has been on stall-rest since Wednesday because his leg is swollen and the vet has no idea why :confused:

Did we decide on a name yet? I'm starting to think it should be: My horse makes me want to kill him/myself :lol:

Invested1
Jan. 21, 2008, 03:49 PM
So, I just got a call from a friend of mine at the barn that the moron has a nice new "gash" over his eye which needs a vet look. Thankfully (?), the vet is already headed out to look at his 2 week old chest wound (which, in my opinion, is dang near totally healed!).

Seriously!??! :sigh:

Yup, got more stitches and 3 more days of antibiotics injections. :rolleyes:

Invested1
Jan. 21, 2008, 03:50 PM
Q has been on stall-rest since Wednesday because his leg is swollen and the vet has no idea why :confused:

Did we decide on a name yet? I'm starting to think it should be: My horse makes me want to kill him/myself :lol:

Or "I'm afraid my insurance is going to drop me because my horse is an idiot." :lol:

horsetales
Jan. 21, 2008, 04:38 PM
Luckily (knocking on any wood product in sight) my last I'm going to kill myself and you can't stop me horse is living with someone else.

Has anyone else noticed that if you have a show or clinic paid for and are looking forward to that the chance of injury increases three fold. If the horse is put up for sale, the chance of injury increases five fold :winkgrin:

I have told both my equine and dog vet that I have more than paid for their childs college education :no: You know its never a good thing when you are on your vets Christmas list and your relationship is only professional (yes, for two years I received Harry and David gift towers from the practice)

BajiNaji
Jan. 21, 2008, 04:40 PM
I have one of those accident-prone types. I should have realized this when two days after sending the check off to pay for him, he impaled himself on a stick and missed his jugular by less than an inch. I've had him for 18 years and he's retired (due to an injury) now. While I was showing, he was usually only healthy enough to do an average of 2 shows a year. I think our best year we made it to 5 whole shows! Nobody ever saw things happen, he never ran around when turned out, he was the boss of the group he was turned out with so he wasn't getting picked on, but he still would show up hurt on a regular basis. It seemed to happen most frequently right after I put his name on the board for a show. Everyone at the barn used to swear he could read, didn't want to work too hard at a show, and so would injure himself to get out of it! As a retiree, he still seems to get injured on a regular basis, though, so it could just be that he likes the extra attention. Can horses have Munchausen's syndrome?

hunterJUMPERriderandtrainer
Jan. 21, 2008, 09:11 PM
My pony is accident prone!!
He is 19 years old and had more inujuries and accidents, than me!!
First off, he ran through a board fence and it was stuck in his right side. So his ribs have a hole in them. Then he was in the trailer on I-20 on his way to a foxhunt and during a freak accident, fell out of the trailer, onto I-20 and now there is an indention in each butt cheek from falling.LOL Then... when I had him for almost a month, he had his first "Jazz moment", as his past owners called it, he was in the stall on a rainy day and the barn manager walked past him - he was fine. She mucked the stalls on his side of the barn and walked past him, again. This time he was right at the front of the stall pacing. He is NEVER a crazy animal in the stall unless it's feeding time and he had already had breakfast grain and two flakes of hay that morning. So she went over ... and somehow, some way he had torn his eye-lid and it was drooping, hanging on by a thread of skin. It had to be stitched back up. Then it proud-fleshed, then had to be undone, proud-flesh cut out, cleaned, and sowed back up!
Then, when I was out of town, go figure, he somehow slipped in the pasture and couldn't move his right front leg. So when they went to bring him in that morning, he was stuck out in the field. The vet had to drive straight out to him in the pasture. They did x-rays and everything was fine -- nothing broken. So that was good, but then they had to move his leg for him, in order to get him in the stall. So they determined nerve damage and he fully recovered fine and is riding sound! That is with bute and 20 minutes of hand-walking him daily right in the middle of the summer. And 10 minutes of hydrotherapy on the entire shoulder and leg.
Isn't it amazing the things we do for our horses?!

abbydp
Jan. 21, 2008, 10:12 PM
I think I need to join this club. My guy has a thing for vets I think. I got him because the original horse I bought dropped dead from what we believe to be an aneuyrism (?) 30 days after I bought her. He was the replacement. Picked him up Sept 12, 3 days after Thanksgiving, he had $10,000 worth of colic surgery. After the surgery we had many hurdles. I went to the clinic to put him down 3 times, but he passed every milestone at the very last hour! After he recovered from that hmm lets see....he got his back leg caught in the fence, had to get a sledge hammer to get him out. Major scrapes and very sore. He plays so rough, another horse broke off a tooth in his face. He got SMZ's for the large puncture wound from the tooth (I still have the tooth and know which horse it came from). Seven days into the smz's he had a fever of 106 and got to spend the weekend with multiple vet visits and high $ antibiotics. Too numerous to count or name puncture wounds and swellings. Came in one day with a gaping cut on the side of his muzzle. Had vet out to stitch. 2 hours and $400 later he had only 2 stitches left. Had one of the kids at the farm come to me to tell me one of the horses was bleeding from the eye. Looked at the pasture guys, didn't see anything. My guy wandered up to me, blinked and guess who had 2 eyelids where he should have only 1???? That required stitches that actually stayed in. He looked like a boxer after a heavyweight bout. He took a break for a while, but we are back in the cycle I fear. He came in one day, only slightly short, little bit lame behind. I then see all these wierd bubble like swellings around every bone of his hock. Not a big joint, but small swellings around each bone. Had 2 vets and a vet/chiro look at it, and say "hmm that's wierd." No idea what it was. Now left with fuller tendon above the hock. Almost as soon as that got better, I noticed 2 small scrapes, hair only missing, no skin opened, on his right front and rear legs. No idea what happened. Lame, painful for a couple of days. Then developed HUGE hematoma, filled with air (such a lovely crispy feeling), that then turned into a lovely fist sized seroma. Treated, drained, treated drained, finally put in a drain. Squeezed fluid out (he considered this torture or punishment for some horrible wrong) and hosed, cold and hot, $95 per bottle antibiotics x2 (never going near the SMZ's again...see reaction/fever above!) for more than a month. Barn owner called me one day "Is your horse supposed to still have a drain in his leg? Well he doesn't anymore, sorry." After he pulled the drain out himself, it was gone with a day or 2. He must know more than we do!!
I knew nothing about taking care of any of this before him, so I guess I shoud thank him (ha Ha). My first horse went 27 years and stepped on a nail once, ran through a wire fence once, and then colicked the last day of his life. I loved him more than life itself, but didn't learn anything about horse first aid! Now, everyone says I should go to vet school. If it's not gushing or falling off, then ehhhh we're ok. He is absolutely my horse of a lifetime, though, so it's ok!

Probably a bad sign that when I was in the hospital last week, my vet came to see me!

chism
Jan. 22, 2008, 12:00 AM
Rudy's on small paddock turnout with wrapping for 4 weeks. His RH cannon has been filled for a couple weeks, he's not lame, just very slightly NQR, no heat or puffiness, the filling is hard... doesn't really palpate like a twist or sprain. Vet thinks either splint or some type of chronic suspensory inflammation from an old track injury ???!!! We're doing Xrays & ultrasound on Thursday. I don't know what I would do if I could ACTUALLY ride him!

BaroquePony
Jan. 22, 2008, 01:25 AM
Knew a BO that had a friend bring her horse over for a week of riding together. They turned the horse out into a two acre fenced paddock, it took off at a dead run, ran head on into a tree at the other end and fell over and expired.

Invested1
Jan. 23, 2008, 11:48 AM
Alright--looks like we need a clique name--votes?

Wayside
Jan. 23, 2008, 07:13 PM

Yeah, I've felt kind of like that the past couple of years. My vet clinic actually sent me a $100 gift certificate for Christmas, which I really appreciate, but I'm somewhat mortified that I've spent enough in vet bills that they can justify giving some back to me.

Hopefully this year will be a little less expensive, as I've decided to just let my often lame gelding be a pasture puff. Thankfully he's generally pretty sensible, he's just extremely clumsy, and has a very small amount of arthritis. The arthritis is not enough to make him lame in and of itself, even when doing light/moderate work, but is enough to prolong inflammation when he bumps himself or trips over something. Which he does all the time.

Since I have other rideable horses, and he's pretty happy and comfortable in the pasture, and I know what the problem is, he can just sit around and look pretty. And I will stop fretting over whether I can enter a show or if he'll turn up lame the day before, and stop throwing money at him.

Invested1
Jan. 27, 2008, 01:19 PM
Here are some pix of our latest....issues.....

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2841124950055239353hzzNzt

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2044466110055239353vxQNQA

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2064830950055239353xEjpKu

No pix of the puncture since it just looked like a little hole in his chest. *sigh*

StrawberryFields
Jan. 27, 2008, 02:24 PM
my friend has a horse that always seems to hurt himself. He will pull shoes left and right. he was off for about 2 months due to an abcess and he but his shoulder once really badly as well. Not to mention he impaled his eye with a giant stick. It was just sticking out of his eyeball. GROSS! They managed to save his eye, though. Amazingly.

DancingAppy
Jan. 27, 2008, 03:54 PM
Yeah, while I haven't had a horse like this (where's some wood to knock on?) my sis has a Paint mare that will find anything to hurt herself on. We chalk it up to her missing a few apples from the bushel if you know what I mean. :lol: She's definitely not the brightest horse.

Some said that it seems like if you a clinic/show/etc to go to the chances of them getting hurt increases? Boy, isn't that true! My sis had qualified for State (she did High School rodeo) and two weeks before, the mare got attacked by a bobcat! Now, while that's not really the horse's fault, but what are the chances??

Invested1
Jan. 28, 2008, 09:05 AM
Some said that it seems like if you a clinic/show/etc to go to the chances of them getting hurt increases?

VERY TRUE!!!
It is common knowledge among my friends/trainer that if you mention an upcoming event to my horse, SOMETHING will happen that week..... It's a proven fact. :winkgrin: :lol:

inquisitive
Jan. 28, 2008, 09:12 AM

No pix of the puncture since it just looked like a little hole in his chest. *sigh*

yikes! let us know how he does!

lrkrame2
Jan. 28, 2008, 11:00 AM
What we have learned. He is a mama's boy and stays with his mom no matter what. I have great friends that are vets. And sometimes not matter what you do to protect them, it just does not work. And, I agree, I will be paying his vet bills when he is 30, no doubt. Well, prob not- if I cannot keep him in work, indeed he will find some way to kill himself. The vets and I find tricky ways to keep him in work, as once he gets into a program, he does very well. It's just the getting him there part that is hard.

But, he sure can jump, and he sure is a great horse to me. Easy and Taco do not belong together in the same sentence, but I adore him. We indeed do have quite a bond!

haah very true! its not all the time that I can call home and find out you guys are having some of the Vets over for Thanksgiving!!

'May' has his moments as well.. but they have never rivaled taco..
1. stepped on a nail as a 3yo- ended up at state for a week.. the vets loved the fact he learned to make the IV hangers sound like dinner bells and dangle from them..
2. Tendon- after he buried me into the dirt pretending to be a bucking bronco.. he was put on a lounge line and ended up sitting on the sidelines for 2 months
3. Shoulder- previous trainer was 'jumping him big' aka 4'6"-4'9 and put him into an interesting spot.. horse lept.. pulled a muscle in his shoulder.. had to go on the walking machine for a month..

all i can say is thank god i'm affiliated with a track farm... so i just drop him off and say, "call me when he's better".. except they can't put him on the walker with the babies... cause he teaches them 'bad habits' ( warmblood pretending to be a bronc horse)..

S4zeus
Jan. 29, 2008, 10:03 AM
VERY TRUE!!!
It is common knowledge among my friends/trainer that if you mention an upcoming event to my horse, SOMETHING will happen that week..... It's a proven fact. :winkgrin: :lol:

If they don't hurt themselves physically, you are guarenteed they will at the very least pull a damn shoe!

justdandy
Jan. 29, 2008, 03:14 PM

Aaadddrrriiannn!!!! Aaaaaadddrrrrriiiaaannnnn!!!!!!!

amdfarm
Jan. 29, 2008, 11:39 PM
Wow, some of these stories are amazing! I think Taco and Ski win hands down! But still a horse that survives near decapitasion (sp?) and another falling off a cliff, dang!

Something I noticed though, about the majority of the accident prone ones is that they are geldings... Hmmm...

AmandaandTuff
Jan. 30, 2008, 10:54 AM
My coming 4 year old so far has:

Torn about 40% of the skin off one side of her body at 10:00 pm on the 4th of July. (Vet tech just happened to slide by the office to grab his coat when we gave him a frantic call. Result was many staples and stitches, not to mention a tube to help drain, months of stalling and constant bandage changing, then she ended up ripping out half of the staples the night before she was going to get them taken out, leaving a huge scar right about where your leg would rest as a rider.)

Puncture along the coronet band. (No idea how she managed that.)

Splints. (Even before training, what a horse!)

A huge cut above the left eye nearly resulting in the loss of the eye. (Almost to match my current show horse.)

And some really banged up legs. (Coming from trying to get coggins drawn, horse freaked, ran, slipped, and slid legs right through the gate panels. Now we haul into the vet office and take every precaution necessary. She hates shots since the student vet tried to give her the vacs.)

Not as bad as most, but she's only turning 4 this spring. We have many more years ahead of us. *gulp*

Invested1
Jan. 30, 2008, 10:57 AM
yikes! let us know how he does!

Well, I actually rode last night--first time in about 6 weeks (between the holidays, a vacation to Spain and his injuries)--other than him "running" a bit and being heavy in the bridle, it was not a bad first ride back!

Just wonder what/when's next.... :winkgrin: :lol:

justdandy
Jan. 30, 2008, 11:04 AM
Well, I actually rode last night--first time in about 6 weeks (between the holidays, a vacation to Spain and his injuries)--other than him "running" a bit and being heavy in the bridle, it was not a bad first ride back!

Was "Eye of the Tiger" playing in the background?:winkgrin:

inquisitive
Jan. 30, 2008, 12:56 PM

Yay! I can't wait... Q is sooo up right now. He tries to make a dive out of his stall and squeals when I lead him outside for his handwalking. Thankfully he's well-behaved but he's going to be a joy once I finally get to ride :lol:

Invested1
Jan. 30, 2008, 01:40 PM
Yay! I can't wait... Q is sooo up right now. He tries to make a dive out of his stall and squeals when I lead him outside for his handwalking. Thankfully he's well-behaved but he's going to be a joy once I finally get to ride :lol:

I feel your pain...quite literally! :lol: My shoulders/back are pretty sore today. :sigh: :lol:

Hope you're back in the saddle soon!!!! Any idea when?

inquisitive
Jan. 30, 2008, 03:32 PM
I feel your pain...quite literally! :lol: My shoulders/back are pretty sore today. :sigh: :lol:

Hope you're back in the saddle soon!!!! Any idea when?

He's on stall rest until at least 2/6 or 2/8 when we have a check-up. Thankfully I still have my mare (although she's retired) and have been offered a couple other rides. I almost got bucked off by a naughty, freshly-clipped pony last night :lol:

He really is insanely quiet for a TB. He has literally spooked with me once and has never bucked (did I just jinx myself?) so I really think he's going to be more like you said, just a little quick and weak in the rear.

Invested1
Jan. 30, 2008, 05:02 PM
Was "Eye of the Tiger" playing in the background?:winkgrin:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Humm, I may have to see if I can get the nickname "Rocky" to catch on. Right now I think he's being referred to as "Calamity Jim." :rolleyes: :sigh: :D

inquisitive
Mar. 11, 2008, 12:52 PM
That's it!!!!! I need to make it official. There seemed to be consensus:

Speak now or this clique is named!

*eventer*
Mar. 11, 2008, 01:45 PM
I'm in! :winkgrin: My hubby always jokes that with all the vet bills my boys have racked up over the last few months, we're sending my vet's kids to private college in europe! We're looking in to a bubble for my 5 yo. It's just one thing after another with him. We already call him the "bubble boy"!

Invested1
Jun. 23, 2008, 08:45 AM
Since I had the vet out Friday and am having them back out today, I thought I'd bump this thread back up.
:sigh:

riderboy
Jun. 23, 2008, 11:35 AM
Our solution is to look for a third horse so that hopefully one will always be sound. I just KNOW we are going to end up taking care of three lame horse!

Flower's Girl
Jun. 23, 2008, 12:31 PM
Oh, boy, do I ever have a member for this club. The fact that he'd have to get membership posthumously just seals the deal!

My horse Half Magic was famous for his ingenious injuries, in fact I was just recently talking to a ex-working student of the BNT I got him from and she told me that she always got 'that sinking feeling' when her name was beside his on the ride list - he was a lovely ride, but the chance that he would come back without some injury somewhere was remote! His past owner told me that he should have gotten an award for being the horse posted on the highest number of short lists to be on a team, to never actually make a team due to some sort of injury! Here is the short list: he had half his tongue bitten off by another horse (tongue was found in other horse's stall... ewwww), was foundered almost to point of death by a bad vaccine, scalped himself to the point of losing most of his forelock (he did this in the stall and we never even found a drop of blood in there....), implanted a short stick into his tendon sheath requiring surgery (still not sure how he did that one)... oh, I could go on and on....

Needless to say, he easily earned the nickname "Half Tragic"!!! Poor boy! :sadsmile: I guess really the fact that he recovered from all that to be a very successful Advanced/*** horse is the real story!!!

Sadly, he couldn't recover from his last dance with disaster... he broke his leg beyond any hope of aid earlier this year - he was 24.

Sightunseen
Jun. 23, 2008, 12:39 PM
I think I am lucky as since he has been mine my horse has managed to only slightly (knock wood) bang himself up, and pull one shoe. But before I got him his life was rough. The person I got him from got him becasue he had been kicked in the penis and the owners did not want to pay for TMS and wanted to kill him, so the vets found him a home. When he stepped of the trailer at our barn as a two year old he had a big knee and a weird fetlock. From looking at X-rays it looks like he had a puncture wound that went to the Joint in his knee and luckfully did not get infected as it was not treated at all, not he has a bone calcification on basically the only spot on the knee that wont inhibit motion....His fetlock looks like he got caught in a fence and managed to rip open the back of his fetlock, again looks like it wasnt treated and is an ugly scar, again not effect on the way he goes. So two days after being at our barn my friends new 2 year old gelding is found to be a stallion (probably got kicked trying to mount a mare in pasture) promtly gelded, two weeks later gets a puncture wound down to his joint in a hind fetlock, many distal limb profusitons later doing fine. Goes away to cowboy to get broke, manages to bang him self up so often friend brings him home after 50 days saying well he is a good boy. I ride him and fall in love with him, and friend is no longer interested in selling horse. She is lunging him a week later and he over reaches and tears a ligament. My ultrasoundest says "Wow, so he really did do this by wacking himself, here is the mark, thats like next to impossible to do". Friend decides she does not want to rehab him in her 4th year as a vet student I get horse. Since then he has been great, well now that he is all rehabed....maybe we were just destined to be....

Catalina
Jun. 23, 2008, 01:25 PM
My warmblood mare has racked up quite the stack of vet bills over the years. I just mailed off a $400 one the other day :sigh:.

Let's see.... She punctured her knee somhow as a baby, but luckily missed the joint capsule.

She somehow sliced open the front of her fetlock on her hind leg. Proud flesh from hell since it was in such a lousy location. It finally healed up and now she just has a wierd looking fetlock, but it doesn't affect her at all.

Then, Conan tried to bite her ear off (http://pic18.picturetrail.com/VOL930/1750828/6258999/106925271.jpg).

Then she stepped on a nail.

Then she split open her jaw while in her stall (http://pic18.picturetrail.com/VOL930/1750828/6258999/120616165.jpg).

Then, she went to my trainer's for the winter and got kicked in the stifle and was NQR for over a year on that leg (she is fine now).

Then she split her head wide open while at another trainer's barn.

This does not include all the various bumps, scrapes, scars, etc over the years. Just this past Saturday, the side metal piece of her halter rubbed a huge raw spot on the side of her face in a matter of minutes while she was munching grass :no:.

There are definitely horses that are more accident prone then others. Conan- my Irish guy- has never had even a little scrape on him.

Then, she

Here Comes Luther
Jun. 24, 2008, 09:39 AM
My horse is so accident prone, it's ridiculous. I'm spoiled, because my QH is very low maintenance, and rarely gets hurt. Luke, my OTTB, on the other hand, is ALWAYS hurt. Luckily it's usually treatable without the vet, and my friend is a vet tech so she cleans him up when he gets hurt. I'm trying to think of everything he's done in the past 2 years I've had him.

Mostly, just lots of little stuff. Shoulder rubs from his blanket so bad they bled. And he had a shoulder guard on. Sliced his back leg open in 2 spots while trying to rip his blanket off. Ran into a gate with his hip, several gashes. Cut his nose open a few weeks ago. And 2 weeks ago, the day I was supposed to send my check for an event in, he sliced his head open. I got out to the barn, and he was standing with his head down, weaving back and forth, dripping blood. Thankfully, it's healing pretty well now. It's just crazy though!

Invested1
Jun. 24, 2008, 10:00 AM
Vet came back out yesterday and said it's Lymphengitis; we're hoping it's Lyme's disease (really never thought I'd be *hoping* that my horse has a disease!) as it's easier to treat a known vs an unknown. He has had reactions (though obviously to a lesser degree) to tick bites over the past month, and there is a bite where the swelling on his leg begins.

He got shot up with all sorts of antibiotics and steriods yesterday and we got his fever (of 104+) down to normal again. Whew. Going forward, more drugs. The vet said he may be back to sound in as little as 2-3 days. FINGERS CROSSED!

And get this:
The vet had told me that if Ted *wanted* to walk, I could take him out and hand graze him for a bit and/or take him for a short stroll. All day, I kept trying to convince him to come out (even left his stall door open all day), luring him with cookies. He was having no part of it.

At about 5:45 last night, I told him I was leaving and turned around to gather my stuff. When I turned back around he was standing at his door, pawing at it (I had shut it) and I asked, "what, you want to come out?" I opened his door and he walked out!! ACK! I grabbed his lead rope and *he walked me* over to the grassy patch next to the barn and grazed for about half an hour. Then he apparently decided he was done and started walking back to the barn. He bypassed his stall and turned into the indoor where we proceeded to walk for another 10 minutes or so (at his lead). He even rolled!! (Though it did take him a couple tries to get back up.) After that, he led me back to his stall!
YAY!!!! It was really the weirdest thing! Thankfully I have witnesses. Heh. :)

Hopefully he'll be up for another stroll tonight!!

Dr. Doolittle
Jun. 24, 2008, 10:10 AM
Vet came back out yesterday and said it's Lymphengitis; we're hoping it's Lyme's disease (really never thought I'd be *hoping* that my horse has a disease!) as it's easier to treat a known vs an unknown. He has had reactions (though obviously to a lesser degree) to tick bites over the past month, and there is a bite where the swelling on his leg begins.

He got shot up with all sorts of antibiotics and steriods yesterday and we got his fever (of 104+) down to normal again. Whew. Going forward, more drugs. The vet said he may be back to sound in as little as 2-3 days. FINGERS CROSSED!

And get this:
The vet had told me that if Ted *wanted* to walk, I could take him out and hand graze him for a bit and/or take him for a short stroll. All day, I kept trying to convince him to come out (even left his stall door open all day), luring him with cookies. He was having no part of it.

At about 5:45 last night, I told him I was leaving and turned around to gather my stuff. When I turned back around he was standing at his door, pawing at it (I had shut it) and I asked, "what, you want to come out?" I opened his door and he walked out!! ACK! I grabbed his lead rope and *he walked me* over to the grassy patch next to the barn and grazed for about half an hour. Then he apparently decided he was done and started walking back to the barn. He bypassed his stall and turned into the indoor where we proceeded to walk for another 10 minutes or so (at his lead). He even rolled!! (Though it did take him a couple tries to get back up.) After that, he led me back to his stall!
YAY!!!! It was really the weirdest thing! Thankfully I have witnesses. Heh. :)

Hopefully he'll be up for another stroll tonight!!

For a horse apparently bent on killing himself, it sounds like he is now trying to participate in the rehab process; smart horse! ;)

Invested1
Jun. 24, 2008, 10:34 AM
For a horse apparently bent on killing himself, it sounds like he is now trying to participate in the rehab process; smart horse! ;)

Either that or he figured it was his last shot at actually getting out of his stall for the night! :winkgrin:

aventura
Dec. 28, 2008, 05:48 PM
Well..... I thought I had the most accident prone horse around. I have a 9 yr old OTTB - got him at 5. He has been through the ringer, and I never thought he would ever get to the show ring, but thanks to my vet and New Bolton Center (who have put him back together more times than I can count) he made it to the show ring! Let's see what has he done to himself....

Stitches to a front leg from one of his friends in the field
EPM (which took a year to get back on him)
Fracture hind splint bone
Stepped on something in the field and got a severe infection in LF
Beginning of ringbone after the servere infection in LF
Colic surgery
Severe quarter crack RF, that took a year to grow out
Fractured RF splint bone
and the latest.....
RF suspensory sprain.....

But, I love him and will continue to put him back together as long as I can.

On Fire
Dec. 29, 2008, 04:10 PM
A long time ago a friend of mine had a mare who was "accident prone". It turned out she was having seizures and getting injured during the episodes. It's worth looking into.