PDA

View Full Version : WINNER - America's Next Dancing Dressage Star!

Mike Matson
Jan. 7, 2008, 11:01 PM
The votes have been tallied and the winner of American's Next Dancing Dressage Star contest is:

FIRST PLACE ($1,000)
Contestant 2 - Julie Madriguera riding Teodoro's Hechizo (aka "King"). Julie and King won by a mere 13 votes over the second place contestant!

SECOND PLACE ($200)
Contestant 3 - Aime Morrill riding Clark's Dusty Bailey.

THIRD PLACE ($100)
Contestant 4 - A. Whit Watkins and Margaret W. Fox riding Miciah and Cipriani.

A BIG THANK YOU to all the finalists! In January there will be an announcement for the 2009 "In Search of America's Next Dancing Dressage Star", so start thinking about YOUR entry!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE (4/3/08):
Award winning freestyle designer Karen Robinson (www.applausedressage.com (http://www.applausedressage.com)) has joined Equimusic.com in search of America's Next Dancing Dressage Stars. The result of this partnership will be $100 for the third place winner, $200 for the second place winner, and $1,000 for the first place winner!

Interested? If so, here's what you need to do.

1. Submit a video of a freestyle you performed between January 1, 2008 and September 1, 2008. Submissions must be postmarked no later than September 15, 2008. Only one submission per person is allowed.

2. As this is a search for up-and-coming horse/rider freestyle combinations, only First, Second, Third, or Fourth Level USDF Freestyle performances are eligible. With your video include a judge's signed copy of the USDF freestyle test you performed.

2. Include with the video your name, contact information, your horse's name, age, and breed, and the titles of the music you used in the freestyle.

3. I will select the Top 3 performances which will then be posted on YouTube by November 1, 2008. The winner will be selected by YouTube viewers. Your name, your horse's information, and the music information will be included in the YouTube description. The first place winner will be the one receiving the most "First Place" votes in the YouTube "Comments and Responses" section by midnight on November 30, 2008. The video receiving the second largest votes for "First Place" will place second, and the video receiving the third largest votes for "First Place" will place third. Each registered YouTube viewer's vote will only count once. I will announce the First, Second, and Third place winners and contact those individuals to mail them the checks - just in time for holiday spending!

When you are ready to send your video, contact me for mailing information. A digital video is preferred as I want to maintain a high quality for YouTube.

Lastly, don't think a First or Second Level freestyle can't be as good as a Third or Fourth Level freestyle. It's all about the MUSICAL PERFORMANCE! So don't hesitate to send in First or Second Level freestyles.

I'll bump up this post at least once a month to ensure forum newbies get a chance to see it.

Let the Search begin!

Hazelnut
Jan. 8, 2008, 06:13 AM
What a cool idea!

ctanner
Jan. 8, 2008, 09:54 AM
Mike,that's great!I can't wait to watch the videos!:yes:

freestyle2music
Jan. 8, 2008, 10:13 AM
Mike, This is a very wonderfull initiative.

But how do you control the voting ?, and is it US$ 1.000,= per class ?

Theo

Mike Matson
Jan. 8, 2008, 10:15 AM
Theo,

It's like the voting on the TV show American Idol - people can vote as many times as they want. It works for that show, so I thought I'd give it a shot using the universality of YouTube. It will be fun to see what happens. Maybe someone will get the 6 million views that the Matine freestyle has received on YouTube. :)

It's $1,000 for the freestyle that gets the highest star rating AND the most number of "Favorites". Only one winner!

freestyle2music
Jan. 8, 2008, 10:28 AM
Voting on Idols (at least over here) is done by telephone and every vote costs you money. Voting on YouTube is free, so a simple program can create millions of votes. Read my lips, I don't want to discourage you, because it's a wonderfull idea, but try to find a way to solve this problem.

Theo

Mike Matson
Jan. 8, 2008, 10:47 AM
The alternative would be to tally up the number of votes for first place in the "Comments" section. In that section you have to provide your user name. I could then only count each person one time no matter how many times they commented.

Since the videos don't get posted until November, there's time to think about the best way to pick the winner using YouTube.

freestyle2music
Jan. 8, 2008, 10:55 AM
The alternative would be to tally up the number of votes for first place in the "Comments" section. In that section you have to provide your user name. I could then only count each person one time no matter how many times they commented.

Since the videos don't get posted until November, there's time to think about the best way to pick the winner using YouTube.

But Mike isn't that exactly what you want ? Why should people vote 1000 times for the same rider/performance. At least if you want the best FTM to bubble to the top, you have to allow one vote per viewer. Otherwise the Russians will win (because they are the best hackers in the world) ;):yes::confused:

Mike Matson
Jan. 8, 2008, 11:37 AM
Changed! The Russian hackers have been foiled. :)

freestyle2music
Jan. 8, 2008, 12:52 PM
Changed! The Russian hackers have been foiled. :)

But........... you didn't answer my question !

Why do you want people to vote multiple times on one combination :confused:

And PLEASE EXPLAIN Who is doing the initial screening ??? In casu who is ME in "grab ME" and "pull ME"
The initial screening will be based on MUSICAL PERFORMANCE and all that entails, artistic and technical. Does the performance "grab me" and "pull me" into the arena. Then the YouTube viewers can decide which of the Top 3 does that for them.

Is this a valid entry :

http://www.veoh.com/videos/v17121316EqrHyRx

daisyfields
Jan. 8, 2008, 03:15 PM
Where do we send the entries? Do they need to be mailed or can we send them to you through e-mail?

Sonesta
Jan. 8, 2008, 03:18 PM
Cute idea, Mike. Hope it works out well.

Mike Matson
Jan. 8, 2008, 06:22 PM
daisyfields,

You can e-mail or snail mail me the video.

Mike Matson
Jan. 8, 2008, 06:28 PM
Theo,

Per my announcement, I'm doing the initial screening.

And per the revised announcement, only one vote per registered YouTube viewer will be counted in the "Comments and Responses" section.

dutchmike
Jan. 8, 2008, 07:57 PM
Zoals de waard is vertrouwt hij zijn gasten. This again is a dutch saying.

I think it is a nice idea. Good luck

Mike Matson
Jan. 8, 2008, 08:00 PM
dutchmike,

Thank you for the encouragement. Maybe someone can also do something similar in Europe. It would be great to see some of the European freestyle competitors at the lower levels.

dutchmike
Jan. 8, 2008, 08:08 PM
dutchmike,

Thank you for the encouragement. Maybe someone can also do something similar in Europe. It would be great to see some of the European freestyle competitors at the lower levels.

I agree. Anything to promote our sport is good in my eyes.

daisyfields
Jan. 9, 2008, 10:38 PM
daisyfields,

You can e-mail or snail mail me the video.

Ok, thank you. I forgot to ask earlier if you need to perform the freestyle at a rated show or if it can be at a schooling show.

Mike Matson
Jan. 10, 2008, 09:55 AM
As long as it's a USDF freestyle test signed by a judge, it's fine.

freestyle2music
Jan. 10, 2008, 12:51 PM
I agree. Anything to promote our sport is good in my eyes.

You seem to forget that In Europe the recognised freestyles to music starts from Z-level (3th Level). Every FTM under this level is FunStuff and mostly judged by the wife of the town-major, or the wife of the sponsor !

dutchmike
Jan. 10, 2008, 01:14 PM
You seem to forget that In Europe the recognised freestyles to music starts from Z-level (3th Level). Every FTM under this level is FunStuff and mostly judged by the wife of the town-major, or the wife of the sponsor !

So?. Your point is what?. Is the most important that we promote dressage to as many people as we can and not only for those that aim to go to the Olympics. IMO to keep this sport going we also have to cater for the beginners and the amateurs. I think that to often people want to cater for those 15% of Elite riders instead of making it more challenging and fun for those 85% of riders that do dressage for fun and just want to learn. It is from those little competitions that some great riders are formed. First you get riders to enjoy what they do and then you refine their abillity in the art of dressage.

freestyle2music
Jan. 10, 2008, 02:22 PM
DutchMike, Maybe you should read the whole topic instead of focussing only on my postings.

I really get tired of your personal vendetta and have put you under my ignore button.

dutchmike
Jan. 10, 2008, 07:27 PM
DutchMike, Maybe you should read the whole topic instead of focussing only on my postings.

I really get tired of your personal vendetta and have put you under my ignore button.

I am responding to what you are asking me and guess you don't like the answers. I have no personal vendetta as I don't even know you in person. So ignore me. Is that supposed to hurt my feelings?. Theo just stop being a DQ (drama queen). People have different ways of looking at things and you like to look in the negative sense and I try to look always in the positive sense that's all.
Not your fault though as it is norm in Holland to moan and groan and see everything negative. Most dutch expats will agree with me on this one I think;)

Hazelnut
Jan. 10, 2008, 07:56 PM
So?. Your point is what?. Is the most important that we promote dressage to as many people as we can and not only for those that aim to go to the Olympics. IMO to keep this sport going we also have to cater for the beginners and the amateurs. I think that to often people want to cater for those 15% of Elite riders instead of making it more challenging and fun for those 85% of riders that do dressage for fun and just want to learn. It is from those little competitions that some great riders are formed. First you get riders to enjoy what they do and then you refine their abillity in the art of dressage.

well said! I can't wait to see the entries! I think Mike should choose the best one from each level 1 -4 and then let us vote on which one we think is best!

freestyle2music
Jan. 10, 2008, 08:44 PM
For USDF freestyles:
"The halt must be executed facing C."
For FEI freestyles:
"There is no recommendation or requirement that the competitor must face C."

Mike you always told me that you have our book "Rules and Regulations for riding and assessment of the Freestyle to Music" on your desk ?

Page 14 Article 1 and 2

Enter, Halt and salute must be ridden on the A-X-C line .....
Riders must salute at the start and end of the test facing the jury at C.

dutchmike
Jan. 10, 2008, 10:12 PM
I think it is still a nice idea. Lets play nice for a change and not turn this thread into a " I am mr know all" for once. Pretty please:yes:

Mike Matson
Feb. 1, 2008, 09:56 AM
Time for the monthly "TTT" for those who may not have seen the post and a friendly reminder to those who have to get that freestyle ready! :)

mtngirl
Feb. 1, 2008, 08:32 PM
I think it's a great idea! And I really like the fact that it focuses on First thru 4th level. It's a way of encouraging people to get involved.

dutchmike you are entirely correct in your earlier statement. Improving the quality of lower level dressage not only makes it more interesting, but provides yet another goal towards improving one's performance...music just makes it that much more fun and entertaining. And while one can purchase or have a freestyle created for them, if they do it themselves, they will come out of the experience with a whole new level of understanding and appreciation. Heck, just learning how to ride a freestyle if great and rewarding experience. It's not nearly as easy as many people think.

I say kudos for the ide Mike! I will look forward to seeing the results. I hope you get lots, and lots of entries!

Mike Matson
Feb. 1, 2008, 08:46 PM
mtngirl,

Thank you for the encouragement! :)

Feuerlilie
Feb. 1, 2008, 10:40 PM
GREAT IDEA!!

Cant wait to see the entries!:D

belambi
Feb. 2, 2008, 02:50 AM
Hey Mike.. is there any way that you could perhaps use a system like a BB uses for a poll?.. that way each ip number can only vote once ?.. Might work. great idea.

Sabine
Feb. 2, 2008, 03:21 AM
I just love a thread where we get the whopping 4 male guys-- and yes they are really male to post and have a little run in...the one missing is of course Thomas...where the heck are ya!!???= but I guess musical freestyles are not your cup of tea...LOL!

bel, Theo, Dmike and MikeM please get along= you all could be such an example to all those 100reds of ladies around here...common!! let's be cool and work together...I personall would love you all to think up some fancy freestyle-musical work for the ammie rider up to 4th level...put it in a library- you pay whatever?? 50bucks and you can lay your freestyle over the tape you have from your horses gaits, adjust it and go to town....

belambi
Feb. 2, 2008, 05:49 AM
LOL.. 4 men.. 3 different continents.. great average!

pophorse
Feb. 2, 2008, 09:52 AM
(Flamesuit on!)

Mike you always told me that you have our book "Rules and Regulations for riding and assessment of the Freestyle to Music" on your desk ?

Page 14 Article 1 and 2

Enter, Halt and salute must be ridden on the A-X-C line .....
Riders must salute at the start and end of the test facing the jury at C.

What's this got to do with what Mike's proposing?
Why is Theo jumping down this guy's throat over his proposal (which I think is a great idea BTW)?
It seems to me that whenever Theo perceives he cannot be the center of attention with his ramblings about Euro-magnificence in dressage, and his continued comments about how he's the ultimate insider and mover/shaker, he gets quite nasty down to the personal level...:no:
Let's play nice and try to be more humble and constructive in our comments!

Mike Matson
Mar. 1, 2008, 07:37 PM
Monthly bump up as a friendly reminder and for those who haven't seen the topic before.

Mike Matson
Jul. 7, 2008, 07:53 PM
Monthly bump up as a friendly reminder. :)

CowgirlDressage
Jul. 8, 2008, 12:01 PM
Great idea Mike, I hope all goes well!

freestyle2music
Jul. 10, 2008, 07:59 AM
Monthly bump up as a friendly reminder. :)

Mike ? did I understood correctly, that untill today you don't have any competitor ?

Could it be that people are scared to get butchered by the Internet sharks, could it be that somebody is afraid that his/her choreography and music get stolen/copied ?

From my own experience I can tell you that many riders asked me to remove their freestyle to music from the Internet, because of this last fact.

On the other hand I also know that most people are probably waiting till it's 2 minutes before 12.

Just keep bumping !

Theo

sm
Jul. 10, 2008, 03:29 PM
Mike,

where is the prize money coming from, are there entry fees?

Mike Matson
Jul. 10, 2008, 05:10 PM
sm,

No entry fee. I am providing the prize money along with freestyle designer Karen Robinson.

Mike Matson
Jul. 10, 2008, 05:12 PM
Theo,

I agree - the entries, if they come, will be toward the deadline. I'll notify the post office to be ready so they can have extra people available. :)

sm
Jul. 10, 2008, 06:52 PM
wow Mike,

very cool on the prize money! I hope this goes nicely and is a great success, it does sound great.

Mike Matson
Aug. 14, 2008, 06:11 PM
Monthly bump up. Deadline for entries is September 15!

Caroline Weber
Aug. 16, 2008, 08:16 AM
Mike - unless something strange happens, I shall be sending you an entry! Probably a 2nd level freestyle. I only know how to use my ancient camcorder (could film, transfer to VHS and mail you the VHS) or the camera function on my digital camera (where I still have to figure out how to get video onto Youtube).

What format would you like me to try to get the video in?

Mike Matson
Aug. 16, 2008, 12:19 PM
An entry! :D Mail me the VHS. PM me for my address.

Mike Matson
Sep. 8, 2008, 10:41 AM
Last call! Postmark deadline is September 15 for entries.