PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on New USDF Site

Velvet
Jan. 4, 2008, 04:57 PM
Anyone else take a look at it? Any thoughts? I have a few, but I'll wait to see if others have seen similar things. Overall, it LOOKS better.

dressagedirectory
Jan. 4, 2008, 06:26 PM
It looks nice and fresh and not too busy. I thought it was a bit slower to load than the previous one.

The information seems to be in a bit better layout.

As usual with the USDF there is an emphasis on 'marketing'.
( shopping /classifieds etc given pride of place). The information could be given better navigation if the selling was removed.

Several usefull features of the previous site have been moved to member only areas ( eg the intro test movements - seems a bit against their aims to provide education and further the sport ).

Other than that it looks good (IMO)

dd
(maybe could be improved by the additon of a 'floating' menu ?)

Equibrit
Jan. 4, 2008, 06:42 PM
didn't quite "get" this ! http://usdf.equine.com/stallions/Ad_Details.aspx?lid=557345

The overall theme seems to be Join, Donate, Shop.
Instead of "How can we help you?"

ise@ssl
Jan. 4, 2008, 06:43 PM
I feel this site and the USEF site are HORRIBLE to try to find anything on them. I find myself clicking all over the site to find what I need. Total waste of time.

merrygoround
Jan. 4, 2008, 07:18 PM
didn't quite "get" this ! http://usdf.equine.com/stallions/Ad_Details.aspx?lid=557345

The overall theme seems to be Join, Donate, Shop.
Instead of "How can we help you?"

Enter at A, Halt at X, extended canter to first barrel, 1/2 halt, very small canter volte, extended canter, etc for all 3 barrels, extended canter to A after last barrel. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ToN Farm
Jan. 4, 2008, 08:20 PM
I think it's slightly better than the previous version but still unacceptable. Don't they hire a Human Factors person to help with the design? The USEF site is horrible, too.

merrygoround
Jan. 4, 2008, 08:24 PM
I find a great deal of frustration with anything arranged by REGIONS, whether its USDF, USEF or USPC. Most of us seeking information about organizations or people look for them by state, not by some arbitrarily named or numbered region. :mad:

ACMiller
Jan. 5, 2008, 06:11 AM
I like it and I don't like it.

I think parts of it are a pain to navigate. I also don't understand why when you search a rider all horses owned by them donot show up any longer.

Bogey2
Jan. 5, 2008, 06:58 AM
It is still a pain to navigate...how hard can it be to actually ORGANIZE the content so a person can find what they are looking for?:mad:

ToN Farm
Jan. 5, 2008, 08:41 AM
Right Bogey. Just look at the home page, which contains a lot of information that is NOT what people go there to find. What is the information that most members go to the USDF sight to find.....that is the info that should pop out at you right away.

If I were the designer, I would have a Horse Search, and that search would show all information on that horse including the show results and owner. There doesn't need to be a Member section and a Competition section.

How many users go to the site to get info on YR program, or Education Program, or 'the Store'? I say few. Those are the things that could be more embedded in the menu.

I think people want to see show records, apply for membership/renewal, register their horse, and get a list of competitions and results. What do you think most people want to see other than what I just listed?

FriesianX
Jan. 5, 2008, 10:51 AM
Hey, I go there for Education stuff! But, overall, I agree, it is hard to navigate. And I wish there was an easy way to find a few years history on a horse or rider show results (scores). I think they are trying to put too much on the website. In their defense, they are probably at the mercy of a web support/techie person who is NOT a horse person, and it costs money every time they tweak anything. That is one problem with technology - it is too difficult for the average person to create/develop, so you have to rely on a techie, who is definately not the "average person" (that is why they are a techie, :lol: and this from someone whose little brother is a techie!).

BigBayBoy
Jan. 5, 2008, 04:37 PM
I had a really hard time finding specific GMO information on their website. I seemed to keep "looping" into the same dead ends. And one membership type lookup deals specifically with the horse, then the rider. Why are they linked together? What happened to the separate people registration and separate horse registration lookups? Their descriptions as to the type of registration look up is too vague.

And when I did find the GMO information, it was very outdated.

I think they still have a ways to go. But at least they're trying.

flshgordon
Jan. 5, 2008, 10:22 PM
not as big of a bomb as the USEF site which--sorry--just sucks! but it's not great. I don't see much of an improvement on the old site honestly...different is not necessarily an improvement. It's difficult to find anything.

Velvet
Jan. 5, 2008, 10:26 PM
I once told them they need to test it with REAL members, but NO, they never do. :sigh: Then again, a lot of big businesses have lousy sites for the same reason. :no: You invest all that money and then you don't do usability testing. *tsk* *tsk* Any good business and any good site developer knows that you need to test it for usability--and you need to take into account the lowest common denominator and the averages, and then produce a site that gives the people who come to it what they want. It's better, but still misses the point of providing what people are looking for from them.

(BTW, I never got a reply on my offer of assistance, and that was quite a long time ago. :lol: And it was actually phrased politely. ;) )

Dawn J-L
Jan. 6, 2008, 05:46 PM
I recently visited the USDF site because I intend to join and needed info about GMO's and was also interested in information about horse ID's. I found the site to be cluttered, poorly organized, and difficult to navigate, and I'm pretty computer savy. It took far more effort to find the basic information I wanted than was necessary. The USEF site was even worse. :-(

CLB15
Jan. 7, 2008, 07:14 AM
It looks pretty but it's a PITA to find anything! I like how they have it set up with the links at the top of the pages, but once you're at the "other end" of the link you're on your own to find whatever it is you thought you wanted to find

I work on the website for a GMO and one of my main goals with everything I do on the site is to have it be user-friendly. Given, USDF is a little bigger then my GMO, but at least try!

eggbutt
Jan. 7, 2008, 08:03 AM
I feel this site and the USEF site are HORRIBLE to try to find anything on them. I find myself clicking all over the site to find what I need. Total waste of time.

I agree completely....can't search to find anything anymore. It might look good but is completely useless.

flshgordon
Jan. 7, 2008, 09:17 PM
After just spending the last half hour trying to navigate the USDF site for a specific reason I've decided to revise my earlier opinion of "difficult to navigate" to ABSOLUTELY USELESS!!! Seriously.....who designed this site? Because every single USDF member should have a private go at throwing rotten food at them. The site is utterly worthless and it irritates me :mad: that even one cent of my membership money went to pay for it!!!

ltw
Jan. 7, 2008, 10:33 PM
I prefer the old site. I cannot find anything on this site. It seems alot of the areas I am looking for are now missing

JRG
Jan. 8, 2008, 07:41 AM
I too found it a little difficult to negotiate and some of the links just plain don't work. I also don't have comitted to memory all my numbers so I would have liked it to have a spot that it can save your login information.

I submitted my comments to that fact. I urge others to do the same. We might have some input on something?

Selleconn
Jan. 8, 2008, 07:54 AM
In addition to many of the above comments, I think not being able to search for scores unless you are a member is an unfortunate change.

StrawberryFrosted
Jan. 11, 2008, 11:59 PM
How do you search for a horse's or rider's old scores? I went on the site and put in the HID number but it doesn't give you the chance to put in what year you are searching for. :cry:

hitchinmygetalong
Jan. 12, 2008, 06:36 AM
I was able to find competition results pretty quickly - seemed pretty intuitive.

I've always disliked the idea of on-line adverts when you have a printed publication but I guess this IS the new millenium and I just need to get with the program. I tend to ignore anything that is begging for my attention like all those blinky movey things over to the right of this screen. :D

ise@ssl
Jan. 12, 2008, 11:42 AM
Oh and here's an absolutely idiotic fact that I discovered when I finally called them on the phone - my corporation which owns all of my horses has a Corporate Member Number ...but the USDF has also assigned the SAME NUMBER to an Individual member!! Talk about creating problems. When I finally do log in for my corporation - I can access the horses I have on the system and the horses owned by this other person. I asked who to write to complain that giving out IDENTICAL numbers to 2 different members (even if one is corporate and one is individual) is a big problem and the answer I received was "I don't know". I asked who was in charge of the entire Registration system - ...again "I don't know".

All the money we pay to the USDF AND THE USEF and we get mediocre service all the time.

Whisper
Jan. 13, 2008, 10:54 PM
The background/text colors make it hard to read.

SGray
Jan. 15, 2008, 10:08 AM
Oh and here's an absolutely idiotic fact that I discovered when I finally called them on the phone - my corporation which owns all of my horses has a Corporate Member Number ...but the USDF has also assigned the SAME NUMBER to an Individual member!! Talk about creating problems. When I finally do log in for my corporation - I can access the horses I have on the system and the horses owned by this other person. I asked who to write to complain that giving out IDENTICAL numbers to 2 different members (even if one is corporate and one is individual) is a big problem and the answer I received was "I don't know". I asked who was in charge of the entire Registration system - ...again "I don't know".......

that's a classic!

Tiki
Jan. 15, 2008, 11:31 AM
For both of them, USEF and USDF, the old sites were really bad, the new sites are absolutely HORRIBLE!!!!!