PDA

View Full Version : Columbus/Springfield, OH COACH

lyssap39
Jan. 3, 2008, 10:17 PM
I am currently searching for a new event coach. My previous coach has moved back to his home state of Cali which I believe might be just a bit too far to trailer back and forth :winkgrin:. I would love to find someone who is somewhere near Columbus or Springfield, OH. I have a home in Columbus as well as a home in Springfield (where my horses are). My greenie has not been to an event yet because I wanted some good instruction before I actually took him out on his first run. My mare whom I used to compete training level with (was ready to move up to prelim but just didn't have enough time to give to her because of school) has a little filly by her side (but not much longer) and I would love to get her going again even if it just is novice or training. Let me know if anyone knows anyone good who would be willing to help:D I do appreciate the help!!!

rhymeswithfizz
Jan. 4, 2008, 12:23 AM
When I was an Ohioan, back in the day, I trained with Barney Mullady, who was the young riders coach at the time. I think he is still in Westerville, just north of Columbus, though it has been a long time. I loved riding with him, practically lived in that barn, worked off my lessons. :)

Kailesbailes
Jan. 4, 2008, 12:47 AM
I would call Otterbein College's Department of Equine Science. Though i am a little biased, we have two great event trainers, Kari Briggs and Olympian Bruce Mandeville, on board. Both of them are fantastic and Kari specializes in young horses. Both of their schedules are packed so I don't know what kind of time they have for training help outside of the Otterbein realm but if you gave them a call i'm sure that they would be more than happy to recommend a few people in the area.

Just a thought, best of luck!

horsecents
Jan. 4, 2008, 10:18 AM
The USEA website should have a listing of ICP instructors. If you can make it to the Area 8 Annual Meeting next weekend I'm sure you'll be able to find out some info. We'd love to see you there!

SLR
Jan. 4, 2008, 10:30 AM
You have a PM

magnum
Jan. 4, 2008, 10:41 AM
Mary Lou Conley is in Hilliard.

Willhelm Ginn (SpringBORO, south of Dayton), is, I believe, a GP level jumper rider. Check out Sugar Creek Stables east of Beaver Creek. More than one event rider there and you can see with whom they train. There is a girl named Amanda but I can't recall her last name since she got married. She has gone thru Prelim and teaches, also.

I haven't lived there since 99 so might be new folks in the area?

Magnum

lwk
Jan. 4, 2008, 10:45 AM
Amanda Bingley Miller is north of Xenia.

http://www.fairwindstables.com/

TwoStar3Day
Jan. 5, 2008, 11:50 AM
I am from Virginia, right around Leesburg. The Mecca of eventing. I trained for years with Emily Beshear in Charlottesville/Madison, Va. She competed my horse for years as well. Never, ever have I had a better, more fun experience. The drive was so worth it. I miss Emily! Now living in Dayton (military move) and horseless, let me tell you, I found my Emily here. Her name is Lori Miller. She is the trainer at the Stables at Sugarcreek in Bellbrook, OH. A lovely rider with great wisdom. Talent beyond her Preliminary experience. Would love to see what she could do with an Advanced horse or rider. Would love to get Lori to Emily. Two peas in the same pod.

The stables at Sugercreek has a website. Good Luck!

lyssap39
Jan. 5, 2008, 04:16 PM
Thanks for the ideas:) I really appreciate the help. I need to look into some of these people!

Tuckertoo
Jun. 29, 2008, 06:52 PM
Sorry to revive an old thread, but now I need help. :)

I'm wondering if anyone has any more instructor recommendations for the Central Ohio area or if anyone has anything positive to add to those people mentioned above?

lyssap39---have you found anyone who you really like in the area?

Carol Ames
Jun. 29, 2008, 07:00 PM
How far are you from:confused: Winona, Stone gate?

Tuckertoo
Jun. 29, 2008, 07:07 PM
Almost 3 hours. For me it's just too far to have to travel for consistent lessons. I need someone within 1 hour max.

glfprncs
Jun. 29, 2008, 07:42 PM
Sue Hines is north of Columbus...Wooster, I think. Depending on where you are in Columbus, might not be too bad of a haul.

If you just want to work on jumping, I would recommend Angela Klein-Moore (she's a hunter/jumper trainer) who I believe is in the Pataskala/Gahanna area. I worked with her when she used to travel to Lancaster when I was going preliminary. She was very helpful.

As somebody previously said, Barney used to be in Westerville (I would assume he's still there, but don't know for sure), and is quite good at putting the foundation on horse and rider. He also rode through the Intermediate level in the early 90s.

Ursula Brush is still in the area, isn't she? Her family owns a farm in Pataskala. Don't know what she's up to, but she might be a possibility. Ran the **** at Kentucky a few years ago.

Best of luck...when I lived southeast of Columbus, I drove 3 1/2 hours (one way) for lessons with Jeff Taylor in Cleveland every 3-4 weeks and worked with Angela Moore between.

SLR
Jun. 29, 2008, 08:38 PM
Ursula Brush is great. You might also try Laura Beaver who runs Greater Dayton and Gemwood Horse trials. She is in Canal Winchester, I believe. What level instructor are you looking for?

Tuckertoo
Jun. 29, 2008, 08:57 PM
Ya it seems to be that a lot of the people that are recommended are too far north for me.:( I looked at where Sue Hines is and she too is unfortunately too far away.

Yep Ursula is still here. I believe that she's going to grad school now. Nicest person you'll meet.:yes:

I might look into Angela Moore. I've heard her name before. Thanks. Although there is a Hunter/Jumper who comes to the barn who I might take from.

As for the instructor level, the more experience the person has the better. I would prefer an eventer because of their XC experience. I don't have an issue with working with a Hunter/Jumper instructor every now and then, but I need someone who knows cross-country and dressage, too. I have a separate dressage trainer who I can work with but I'm not confident that they are the best person for my horse. I would like that the person has a lot of experience at least at Prelim, but preferably even some Intermediate or Advanced.

glfprncs
Jun. 29, 2008, 09:08 PM
Another thought is Angi Goodwin. She's on sabbatical from riding her own horses at the time, but keeps her hand in it by teaching the local pony club kids. She rode through the Intermediate Level (had 3 prelim horses--2 of which she got there by going through the BN-P ranks, one of which she did a CCI* on and had one Intermediate horse), and was a working student/groom for Bobby Costello for many years. She has a wealth of knowledge. I don't know how much time she has, but might be worth a shot. She lives in Columbus.

Tucker...where in the Columbus area are you?

Tuckertoo
Jun. 29, 2008, 09:18 PM
Northwest suburbs, in the Worthington/Dublin area, but the barn is in the middle of Delaware.

Thanks for all of the suggestions so far!

Tuckertoo
Jun. 30, 2008, 08:39 AM
glfprncs---

How would I get in contact with Angi Goodwin?
Thanks

tle
Jun. 30, 2008, 08:49 AM
another recommendation for laura beaver. :)

SLR
Jun. 30, 2008, 10:18 AM
Mid Ohio is really hard for upper level eventing instructors. Ask me how I know? My son is currently in NC to train in the heat because he needs an intensive period of instruction. He does have an event instructor in OH who is extremely difficult to get on a consistant basis. We travel an hour and a half for that. We struggle with trying to fit in lessons with a dressage instructor and jumping. Clinics are also an option. You might try Kara Andrew who's in Creston. She events quite a bit and brings along a lot of green horses. I believe she also teaches. Ask Hunter's Run Pony Club who they use for instruction.

glfprncs
Jun. 30, 2008, 11:11 AM
glfprncs---

How would I get in contact with Angi Goodwin?
Thanks

I'll get into touch with her Tucker and see if she's available. If so, I'll PM you her info.

Tuckertoo
Jun. 30, 2008, 12:31 PM
Mid Ohio is really hard for upper level eventing instructors. Ask me how I know? My son is currently in NC to train in the heat because he needs an intensive period of instruction. He does have an event instructor in OH who is extremely difficult to get on a consistant basis. We travel an hour and a half for that. We struggle with trying to fit in lessons with a dressage instructor and jumping. Clinics are also an option. You might try Kara Andrew who's in Creston. She events quite a bit and brings along a lot of green horses. I believe she also teaches. Ask Hunter's Run Pony Club who they use for instruction.

Oh ya! I forgot about Kara.

thanks glfprncs! :)

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Bookish
Jun. 30, 2008, 03:30 PM
(I sent a PM with a question so I wouldn't take-over your post!)

hhfarm
Jun. 30, 2008, 09:18 PM
I would definitely suggest Kari Briggs, who is the eventing coach at Otterbein College. She has evented at the Advanced level on a self-trained horse, and is an excellent rider and outstanding coach. She could definitely provide you with high quality instruction in the Columbus area.

Best wishes!