PDA

View Full Version : Horses shedding

beth heffelfinger
Jan. 3, 2008, 07:11 AM
Winter gets so long. The riding time is harder. The footing is harder.
I am always excited when I see the first signe the spring will return.
My horses just started to shed how about yours ?

Eventer55
Jan. 3, 2008, 09:02 AM
My gelding is shedding on his face:eek: and we are just now going into the cold weather! He always is the first to shed though, usually by the end of March he's a hair storm.

Huntertwo
Jan. 3, 2008, 12:12 PM
She better not start shedding yet, it is only 12 degrees here today and windy....:no:

Auventera Two
Jan. 3, 2008, 01:02 PM
Shedding!? :lol: Um no. It's going to be winter here for another 4 months, at least. Actually, closer to 5 months. Mine usually start shedding in March sometime.

sublimequine
Jan. 3, 2008, 01:51 PM
My mare starts shedding in mid to late January.. when it is the COLDEST here.. :no:

2Horse
Jan. 3, 2008, 07:40 PM
Two of mine started shedding too. Patrick was scratching his TWH mare, Cloud, above her flanks/loin area. Her favorite place! Anyhow she is shedding up a storm. My Friesian cross is also shedding in the same areas. All the others seem to be holding on to theirs.

Romantic Rider
Jan. 3, 2008, 10:43 PM
Winter isn't half over in WI. Like A2 said, the horses won't even start till March. And they won't be done until sometime the middle of May. Believe, that is a pain when you are conditioning them and it's sixty degrees out, and they still have all their winter hair. I wish they'd get it over with a little sooner.

beth heffelfinger
Jan. 4, 2008, 06:46 AM
Ok is it a erban legand that you will mess up there summer if you clip them in the spring? I was always taught that but if so how late is to late?
I realize there are people online here from All over, but is there a general rule?
Have a great weekend..

winona
Jan. 4, 2008, 05:51 PM
My mare always starts shedding on a very cold day. Try yesterday at -12 degrees. But, she will keep her coat forever. Usually it is July before everything is gone. All 3 of mine are like that.

matryoshka
Jan. 5, 2008, 09:54 AM
Gypsy, the newest horse at Equihab, has started shedding. He's a QH. I believe spring coats start growing in January, which may explain it. I've seen it before on my heavier horses. OTTBs, no way! They need every hair they can get!

pintopiaffe
Jan. 5, 2008, 01:20 PM
Beth--completely urban legend.

Last two years I have clipped my guy in March. Modified Irish clip. His spring/summer coat comes in STUNNING. I'm sure partly because he is blanketed/sheeted after the clipping, so there is no bleaching.

Health wise, I have to believe it is better to clip and sheet/blanket if he's in heavy work than leave him fluffy, even though he's on 24/7 turnout... the getting REALLY warm while working, then damp-not-drying winter coat cannot be healthy. ? ?

I find they do blow some hair when the new coat starts... mine all seem to have a minor shed in mid-to-late February. But the real deal doesn't start until April/May.

josierider
Jan. 16, 2008, 09:04 AM
I'm in southern NJ, where winter has not really gotten started yet for some reason this year, but my horses have started shedding. Last week I had to use a shedding blade because the curry was getting clogged. I ended up with 2 big handfuls on the ground. This horse is not blanketed, except for a rain sheet (no insulation) if it is raining or looks like rain. He's kept in every night, with the barn lights on till 7:30 or so. I was wondering if it could be the lights causing the shedding. He was in a stall last winter, and didn't shed like this, but that BO didn't keep the lights on, and the barn was not as warm (better ventilation). I am a little worried because winter hasn't even started yet! I guess I will just watch him, and get him a blanket if he starts shivering... He has never started shedding this early.

questisthebest
Jan. 16, 2008, 02:32 PM
my horse lost about 20 hairs today! I'm hoping to clip him when the temps get warmer actually. It's pretty cold today though.

JackSprats Mom
Jan. 18, 2008, 09:08 PM
Ok is it a erban legand that you will mess up there summer if you clip them in the spring

Total myth

and YES he's shedding :) not that he had much coat but it gives me hope that summer is on the way.

Tuff Tilly
Jan. 19, 2008, 03:38 PM
My mare started 2 weeks ago. I've been currying her every chance I get because the fleece liner I'm using under her winter blanket (she's partially clipped) no longer looks navy blue...it's starting to "roan out."

I'm in the tundra (MN) and today we have a high of -3 today before windchills are applied. She's always started shedding early though, generally most of her winter woolies are completely gone by the end of April.

Her filly on the other hand doesn't finish until early June...

Go figure!