PDA

View Full Version : WOW! The difference that human boots make!

Rhiannonjk
Jan. 2, 2008, 09:50 PM
I have been riding for about 13 years now. 12 years ago, I bought a pair of used field boots on consignment that were customs for another person with wide calves. These were my show boots, and all other times I used half-chaps.

This past week, I picked up my custom Dehners. After staring at them in the box, and deciding that I would try them even though Dehner forgot to install the zippers, I brought them home with me. I put them on at my parent's house, and endured teasing from my father about never being able to get them off without zippers. The next morning, my parents were surprised that I hadn't slept with them :)

But today, I arrived back in Louisiana, and I RODE in them.

Oh. My. God. I'm doing 2nd level work, and I've done a lot of work on my position - but so many things that I fight just HAPPENED correctly with these boots. My toes no longer turned out. My leg stretched down (because if I pulled it up, it hurt - which I'm sure is a breaking-in issue). I honestly couldn't stop staring at myself in the mirrors (and giggling).

I just wanted to share this little revelation! I really was getting the boots befcause my old ones were DEAD and they would look pretty - how did I never consider all the real differences that new NICE boots would make?

EqTrainer
Jan. 2, 2008, 09:51 PM
Jingle, jingle.. Merry Xmas to you!

Rhiannonjk
Jan. 2, 2008, 09:54 PM
Thanks! I ddin't expect them to be a Christmas present when I ordered them in august.

But they were worth the wait.

Dressage (Pea)Nut
Jan. 2, 2008, 11:20 PM
I completely agree - tall boots all the way! I actually PREFER to wear my tall boots most of the time now - they give my lower leg more stability and helps me keep my legs longer. And once they're broken in, they're almost comfortable to ride in (ALMOST...LOL!!).

Ashby
Jan. 2, 2008, 11:34 PM
Congratulations. I know just how you feel--I felt the same when I got my first pair of Dehners, 30 years ago!

For some time I've been trying to tell my daughter that her non-custom Ariats left a lot to be desired compared to custom boots. She would rather have had two or three pair of cheap(er) boots than one pair of custom boots. Then she tried on my Vogels recently and had a religious experience, lol.

That said, you're fortunate with your boots. A lot of people have horror stories to tell about fitting custom boots, and I'm sure you're going to hear some on this thread. It's clear you had a good person measure you and did not violate the bootmaker's rules for good fit, like not taking up a new sport after you send your order in, not gaining or losing weight, not changing the sort of breeches and socks you're going to wear, etc.

pintopiaffe
Jan. 2, 2008, 11:40 PM
I want to disagree. I want to say that Oliveira and Racinet rode/ride in JODPHURS and PADDIES for Pete's sake...

:sigh: I want there to be equality for poor people who can't afford good boots.

But, alas, there is not. Stiff boots Help. A Lot.

Now, I will say that very tight/supportive ankled paddies and very supportive half-chaps are better than *my* 15 year-old field boots...

But stiff boots are even better.

:no:

:cry:

Rhiannonjk
Jan. 3, 2008, 08:08 AM
That said, you're fortunate with your boots. A lot of people have horror stories to tell about fitting custom boots, and I'm sure you're going to hear some on this thread. It's clear you had a good person measure you and did not violate the bootmaker's rules for good fit, like not taking up a new sport after you send your order in, not gaining or losing weight, not changing the sort of breeches and socks you're going to wear, etc.

I TRIED to lose weight - and I figured that if it took me ordering $1000 boots for that to finally happen, I would take that chance :)

The person that did my measurements was great. I would highly recommend her to anybody ordering customs. The owner of that tack shop claims that she does measurements better than the man from Dehner that comes to the shop once in a while. I could have ordered them from a tack shop in Louisiana, but chose to go to her during visits to North Carolina for that reason. OF course - Dehner DID forget the zippers...

PintoPiaffe - I really wanted to believe the same thing. In fact, it was nothing I ever considered before. Boots were just to keep my calves from getting bitten by the leathers, right? My Dansko half-chaps are pretty stiff...

But now I know. And I kind of wish I didn't.

clover
Jan. 4, 2008, 07:24 PM
What tack shop did you use for the measurements? I am planning to purchase some new boots soon and would like to have as great of an experience as you described!
Thanks.

DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho"
Jan. 4, 2008, 07:27 PM
uh oh. I ride in paddock boots and suede half chaps or my brit riders - which are NOT stiff.

Ooops.

pintopiaffe
Jan. 4, 2008, 08:55 PM
My Brit Riders are pretty dang good for my leg.

Rhiannonjk
Jan. 4, 2008, 09:34 PM
What tack shop did you use for the measurements? I am planning to purchase some new boots soon and would like to have as great of an experience as you described!
Thanks.

I used M&M. I would call ahead of time and let them know that you are coming in for a boot measurement to make sure the right person is working the day you are there :) (Terri)

lizathenag
Jan. 4, 2008, 09:38 PM
Wait until you ride in a saddle that really fits <VBEG>

Rhiannonjk
Jan. 4, 2008, 11:23 PM
The well fitting saddle came LONG ago! But it is such a moving target - having to be fitted to me AND the beast.

But what is next? $300 breeches? I finally got some Equissentials (which definitely weren't $300)