PDA

View Full Version : What to wear? What to wear!!

MissMaryMack
Jan. 2, 2008, 09:32 AM
Hi all!

I am going to a schooling show on Sunday and it is supposed to be in the low 20's. I am NOT used to this kind of weather...it is hardly ever this cold down here!! My horse is ready- wool cooler and plenty of blankets for when he's in the stall but what about me? I usually show in a polo b/c it's normally HOT but should I wear a show shirt and jacket or maybe a sweater? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Foxhound
Jan. 2, 2008, 10:00 AM
If it's a schooling show, I would not worry about show clothes!!! In similar situations, I have worn my white or grey breeches (with long underwear) and a turtleneck shirt, long undershirt, polar fleece pullover, and vest or jacket as needed. I try to make sure everything is fitted so I don't look like a total puffball, but staying warm takes priority.

merrygoround
Jan. 2, 2008, 10:14 AM
Anything in the same sartorial frame of reference as a polo. Turtleneck of the wicking variety and a heavy duty polarfleece could get yu through your rides, with a heavy jacket of the windbreaker variety should do it, between rides.

Freeze the smile on and go! :)

AnotherRound
Jan. 2, 2008, 12:48 PM
MerryGR has got it. Turtleneck and fleece, tidy boots and wwwaaaaaarrrrrm breeches. Winter gloves and have the down jacket and /or comforter handy to sit and watch!

ChaseTheDream
Jan. 2, 2008, 01:56 PM
Under Armour and turtleneck w/ polarfleece.... Longjohns/thermal for bottoms w/ fullseats if u have them and warm socks.....

Puddin Pie
Jan. 2, 2008, 02:25 PM
I have a sort of neoprene had that was made by one of the riding companies that is really thin which fits under my helmet and covers my ears-doesn't change the fit much and really blocks the wind. I showed in it in Nov at a registered show when the 8AM ride was about 30 degrees and last March when we had a sudden easter snow storm -lots of layers, heavy coat on over the top, yanked off the really heavy coat right before entering the ring. Brind a thermos of hot chocolate and have fun.

Kathy Johnson
Jan. 2, 2008, 09:20 PM
Ski socks and silk long underwear (top and bottom) to wick off the sweat. No matter how cold it is, showing always makes me sweat. Insulated gloves. Something to cover your ears under your hat (head band, etc). If you can fit your show coat over all that, you might be warm enough. Any fitted coat will be better than a big goosy lump of down.

Kiljoywashere
Jan. 2, 2008, 09:30 PM
Take a change of clothes for yourself, and a hat to keep your sweaty helmet hair from freezing.

pintopiaffe
Jan. 2, 2008, 10:55 PM
Oh, I much prefer cold weather to hot for any sort of 'dress up.' I'm a turtleneck and vest type of body, as opposed to a polo and breeches ( :eek: NOT in PUBLIC! :eek: ) type.

VEST dahling, VEST!!!

Turtleneck definitely, over whatever warm base layer you've got. And while tailored polar fleece is OK, the classic clinic vest is best. Short of that... down vest is good, warm vest is good, even sweater vest. Are you sensing a pattern? :lol: (Hint: WallyWorld has a lovely fitness fleece FITTED vest on sale for $7 right now. Get yourself there girl!)

A very nice sweater looks fabulous too. Something wooly and not baggy. Black or bright jewel tones or *big* pattern, (I'm thinking conservative plaid type) no fancy, busy patterns. Complimenting the particular shade of pony, of COURSE.

I find the disposeable hand and toe warmer thingies indispensable these days. They are really great when there's no where to get into to warm up. Definitely agree with change of clothes--bring MANY pairs of extra socks. And big, comfy shoes that fit roomy over the socks for when your poor, numb toes come out of the dress boots.

K Bayo
Jan. 2, 2008, 11:05 PM
I guess you have never been foxhunting. They dress up just to yahoo across the countryside. As long as you are confortable and don't look like the Michelin Man, you should be ok.

MissMaryMack
Jan. 3, 2008, 09:19 AM
Thank you for all your help! Unfortunately, show management just called to inform me that there were only 6 entries and the show has been cancelled! So disappointing! I was moving my boy up to 1st level :( I guess the cold weather scared everyone off!

Thanks again!

Valentina_32926
Jan. 3, 2008, 10:20 AM
If you're in Florida like me - who even owns longjohns? :D

What I did last night during my lesson (outside under lights) was blanket over horse til we got to arena - and rider wearing layers. I was soon sweating and pulling layers off. :eek:

As soon as ride was over, layers went back on me and blanket over horse.

I love PP's suggestion of a vest - will have to go to Wally World and see if they carry any vests down here.

pintopiaffe
Jan. 3, 2008, 10:58 AM
I think they may actually be Danskin vests. They are a technical piece, in the 'fitness clothing' area. Lovely fit.

ride-n-tx
Jan. 3, 2008, 11:21 AM
i used to live in northern virginia, so i used to deal with that white stuff. i think you refer to it as snow ;).

anyway, two of my favorite pieces of winter weather gear were a turtle tube scarf-like thing and earmuffs. the turtle tube was a fleece tube that you slip on over your head and it keeps your neck warm. and these soft fleecy ear muffs that wrapped around the back of your head so it fit with a helmet on. i love those earmuffs so much that i can't wait for the two cold days in houston that i can wear them!

kahjul
Jan. 5, 2008, 03:54 PM
I always braid and wear my coat-even at schooling shows. After seeing all of these posts, I'm reconsidering. I have a combined event schooling show that I'm attending this weekend-in the mud. I will only be participating in the dressage part-thats all we do. I was planning on the normal attire, but with all the mud, maybe I'll do black breeches, a turtleneck and a vest w/no braids? What do you guys think? The judge is 's' rated, and someone who I've always wanted to ride for (she's the only reason I'm going).

KayBee
Jan. 7, 2008, 10:14 PM
favorite pieces of winter weather gear were a turtle tube scarf-like thing and earmuffs. the turtle tube was a fleece tube that you slip on over your head and it keeps your neck warm.

We call that "tube" a "ski neck" though if you go to a store that sells ski/snowboarding apparel you'd ask for a "neck gaiter."

Yes, they are warm and cozy. They great in that you can zip your jacket ALL the way up and then pull the gaiter up to (and even over) your nose.

I had two and now I can't find either of them. Gave my instructor one for Christmas. Not sure she knows what it is, though. She hasn't worn it yet... :lol: