PDA

View Full Version : Top Riders Who Quit

Velvet
Dec. 31, 2007, 03:53 PM
There was a topic on another forum that got me thinking about this. Who can think of any top riders in this country who have quit riding?

merrygoround
Dec. 31, 2007, 04:01 PM
Armand Leone, Robert Dover, Karen Stives. The first two came back, but Karen no longer (as far as I know,) events. I'm sure she does still ride.

Velvet
Dec. 31, 2007, 04:03 PM
Dover has NEVER really quit. Dover says he's retired, then he reappears. I won't accept that one until I never see him in the show ring, trying for the Olympic team, again. :lol:

I mean people who quit entirely. Not just showing. They've left the sport after making it to the top.

merrygoround
Dec. 31, 2007, 04:09 PM
Most of 'em have to be carried off feet first. :) :) :lol: :lol: :D

Kiljoywashere
Jan. 1, 2008, 02:42 AM
Well if switching from Olympic level 3-dayer to race horse trainer counts as "no longer riding" there's Michael Matz.

Moll
Jan. 1, 2008, 03:23 AM
This is a bit off topic, but my memory is playing tricks on me: does anybody here remember a top Danish show jumping rider (female) who supposedly quit and joined some cult? Who was it? Maybe five ten years ago.

Seal Harbor
Jan. 1, 2008, 03:46 AM
Well if switching from Olympic level 3-dayer to race horse trainer counts as "no longer riding" there's Michael Matz.

He was not an eventer, he rode jumpers.

slc2
Jan. 1, 2008, 06:18 AM
Many very active competitive riders quit, the media doesn't really print a list each year.

dkcbr
Jan. 1, 2008, 07:49 AM
Rodney Jenkins is another show jumper turned racehorse trainer - but I don't know if that means he doesn't ride at all.

I believe many top riders retire from competition but stay in the saddle as trainers and achieve a lower profile so we don't hear about them anymore.

Back on dressage, what about Linda Zang and/or Lendon Gray? Do they still ride?

YankeeLawyer
Jan. 1, 2008, 08:03 AM
Melanie Smith is one.

(FWIW, I wouldn't consider someone who shifted from being a top competitive rider to a trainer to have "quit riding," except maybe in the most literal sense).

ToN Farm
Jan. 1, 2008, 08:45 AM
How about Lendon Gray and Linda Zang. Do they still ride?

Janet
Jan. 1, 2008, 09:00 AM
Abagail Lufkin

egontoast
Jan. 1, 2008, 09:21 AM
Mrs. Mabel Dimblekins

perpetual_novice
Jan. 1, 2008, 10:16 AM
Mrs. Mabel Dimblekins

I had no idea Mrs. Dimblekins had left the horse world!

Carol O
Jan. 1, 2008, 10:30 AM
I recall a YR I know recently complaining about another YR who quit riding. She had gone off to Europe training seemed to be at the top of her world, than just gave it up. The one I knew who was grumbling was wishing she had such opportunities!

egontoast
Jan. 1, 2008, 01:13 PM
Sad isn't it, perpetual novice?

I heard there was a dare involving two lawnmowers, a pair of hand cuffs and way too many chocolate martinis. What a cryin shame. :no:

Bugs-n-Frodo
Jan. 1, 2008, 01:31 PM
I think Michael Matz still rides some of the race horses but does not compete. Linda Zang, I am not sure if she rides but she teaches and she judges, I bet she still rides. I am not sure about Lendon.

perpetual_novice
Jan. 1, 2008, 02:22 PM
Sad isn't it, perpetual novice?

I heard there was a dare involving two lawnmowers, a pair of hand cuffs and way too many chocolate martinis. What a cryin shame. :no:

The way I heard it, it was a ride on mower, and two pairs of handcuffs. The chocolate martinis sound true, though. I understand she's been in and out of rehab ever since.

I thought she was still doing clinics between treatment sessions though.

Her mother still lives in the UK and says if Mable had just stuck with G&Ts the whole disaster would never have happened.

lcw579
Jan. 1, 2008, 02:26 PM
He was not an eventer, he rode jumpers.

Michael Matz did too event - saw him myself. Girl riding my mother's horse was totally psyched out to be competing against him!

grayarabpony
Jan. 1, 2008, 05:01 PM
Tad Coffin. Is Ginny Leng riding anymore?

Michael Matz may have evented some maybe but he was far more famous as a show jumping rider. Are you sure you aren't thinking of J. Michael Plumb?

CuriosoJorge
Jan. 1, 2008, 05:13 PM
Does anyone remember Lea Anne Neal? She had Suna for a short time and then seemingly disappeared.

Velvet
Jan. 1, 2008, 05:35 PM
I know that Conrad Homfeld quit riding in his prime, but I think that he was forced into it by an injury.

bosox
Jan. 1, 2008, 05:38 PM
Linda Zang

She has a nice show/sale barn in MD. She trains and has students...while I haven't seen her mounted personally...I would think she still "hops" at least for fun.

fish
Jan. 1, 2008, 06:35 PM

Actually, Michael rode show jumpers, not eventers, and Rodney Jenkins made the same transition before him.

hoopoe
Jan. 1, 2008, 08:09 PM
Speaking of woman show jumpers, what ever became of Heidi Robianni

baytraks
Jan. 1, 2008, 09:45 PM
Ellin Dixon. Grand Prix rider, represented USET at Pan Am Games, former USDF president, and a very kind an generous individual who gave a lot to the sport. Last I heard she was not riding anymore.

teacher
Jan. 1, 2008, 09:59 PM
Neal Shapiro--show jumper/Olympic rider---stopped riding to train standardbreds!

Is Torrance Watkins still around?

nzellie
Jan. 1, 2008, 10:26 PM
Mark Todd (olympic gold medal eventer) is now training racehorses and doing nicely with that now.

Selleconn
Jan. 2, 2008, 06:25 AM
Melinda McPhail?

PiedPiper
Jan. 2, 2008, 07:22 AM
Neal Shapiro--show jumper/Olympic rider---stopped riding to train standardbreds!

I knew up to a couple years ago she came down to winter in Virginia at the Mellon's property in Upperville. I had a boarder that had been a student of her's when the boarder was younger and hacked over for a couple lessons. I got the impression that Torrance was still riding and training at that point.

monstrpony
Jan. 2, 2008, 10:18 AM
Didn't I read recently that Ellin Dixon Miller is now a horse show mom?

There are lots of juniors that made it to the top of the equitation ranks, graduated from the juniors and then went in other directions in "real life". Do they count? I watched an old George Morris video with friends while waiting for midnight on New Years eve, and Francesca Mazzella (butchered that, I know) was the demo rider; I don't believe she rides any more, but I think that may have been another injury-related one? She sure was a lovely rider!

Mozart
Jan. 2, 2008, 10:48 AM

Still trains though I think...he was coaching at the Pan Am's in '99, although I guess that is getting to be a long time ago now....

AnotherRound
Jan. 2, 2008, 12:32 PM
Many very active competitive riders quit, the media doesn't really print a list each year.

But you know, eh slick? ;) Many? VERY active? Where does she get the inside scoop??:confused:

YankeeLawyer
Jan. 2, 2008, 01:02 PM

There are lots of juniors that made it to the top of the equitation ranks, graduated from the juniors and then went in other directions in "real life". Do they count? I watched an old George Morris video with friends while waiting for midnight on New Years eve, and Francesca Mazzella (butchered that, I know) was the demo rider; I don't believe she rides any more, but I think that may have been another injury-related one? She sure was a lovely rider!

Francesca sustained a head injury. She is a great person and was a gorgeous rider. Another from that era -- Jenno Topping -- is now a very successful Hollywood film producer.

hoopoe
Jan. 2, 2008, 03:01 PM
Ulla S seems to have packed it all in to open and run a resort / Inn?

LisaB
Jan. 2, 2008, 03:23 PM
Mike Plumb still events
Matz didn't event, maybe dabbled in it
Ab Lufkin
Mark Todd
Blythe Tait
Ian Stark
David OC
Rodney Jenkins really never got out of racing. His brother still has the farm here in Montpelier
Tad Coffin does saddles

ToN Farm
Jan. 2, 2008, 04:09 PM
Did David OC quit eventing??

magnum
Jan. 2, 2008, 04:13 PM
There are too many that retired due to age to list.

I wonder about others who quit for reasons unrelated to age
(basically, others in their prime)?

Magnum

eqsiu
Jan. 2, 2008, 04:43 PM
Did David OC quit eventing??

Retired to administration. He's USEF pres right now.

lcw579
Jan. 2, 2008, 06:06 PM
Tad Coffin. Is Ginny Leng riding anymore?

Michael Matz may have evented some maybe but he was far more famous as a show jumping rider. Are you sure you aren't thinking of J. Michael Plumb?

Talked to my mother today, the event her horse competed in was in Middletown, DE and it was probably back in 1974 or so and it was definitely Micheal Matz - if you want to argue with her go ahead but she still scares me :winkgrin:

Sandy M
Jan. 2, 2008, 06:50 PM
Dover has NEVER really quit. Dover says he's retired, then he reappears. I won't accept that one until I never see him in the show ring, trying for the Olympic team, again. :lol:

I mean people who quit entirely. Not just showing. They've left the sport after making it to the top.

Ah, yes.... Robert Dover is the James Brown of dressage. LOL

dkcbr
Jan. 2, 2008, 09:31 PM
yes.... Robert Dover is the James Brown of dressage. LOL

Except that RD is still very much alive. :)

TeddyRocks
Jan. 2, 2008, 09:58 PM
-Tad Coffin... I rode with him when he was teaching at Westmoreland Davis. I think even then, 1988-1990, he really never competed... I don't think I ever saw him compete at all. So if he was in the Olympics in 1976, when does anyone remember him competing after that? Did he ever have another horse to ride as fabulous as Bally Cor? What a great mare she was! He rode and taught while I was at the school, and I know even then he was designing saddles, I think with Crosby, but as far as "professional upper level riding and competition,"... I don't think so...

Ginny Leng, another favorite that seemed to just dissapear from competition...

and what about Nicole Uphoff? I know she is still training, but why hasn't she had more international sucess after the amazing Rembrandt? What is she up to?
THANKS in advance...

slc2
Jan. 3, 2008, 06:58 AM
if these people aren't in the american websites and magazines every month then they aren't doing anything?

most people don't get ANY rembrandts in their life. to have more than one would be improbable.

LD1129
Jan. 3, 2008, 08:56 AM
What level did your mom and dad compete?

A friend and I were wondering the other day but could not remember. You dad is/was a showjumper right or did he also event?

lcw579
Jan. 3, 2008, 12:18 PM
LD1129 You have a PM

bambam
Jan. 3, 2008, 02:31 PM
Mike Plumb still events
Matz didn't event, maybe dabbled in it
Ab Lufkin
Mark Todd
Blythe Tait
Ian Stark
David OC
Rodney Jenkins really never got out of racing. His brother still has the farm here in Montpelier
Tad Coffin does saddles
Ian Stark and David OC only retired from upper level competitions and their annouinced intention was to continue riding/training youngsters and coach- whether that happened or not, do not know.

yankeeclipper
Jan. 3, 2008, 06:43 PM
gerd zuther, karl milkolka

dalpal
Jan. 3, 2008, 07:42 PM
Who was the young blonde who was a student of Robert Dover's years ago....her picture was in magazines, seemed she was really going somewhere with it....if memory serves correctly, she had two horses..one a stallion and he died.....she faded from the scene right after that...I remember an article about her in DT..she was dyslexic and would practice her pirouettes on foot....I, for the life of me cannot remember her name.

ideayoda
Jan. 3, 2008, 08:28 PM
Gerd Zuther is still teaching & riding.

A person who I believe did give it up (and was the first woman to ride for America) Marjorie Haines (Gill).

ravenclaw
Jan. 3, 2008, 11:10 PM
Who was the young blonde who was a student of Robert Dover's years ago....her picture was in magazines, seemed she was really going somewhere with it....if memory serves correctly, she had two horses..one a stallion and he died.....she faded from the scene right after that...I remember an article about her in DT..she was dyslexic and would practice her pirouettes on foot....I, for the life of me cannot remember her name.

I remember that article. I think the rider was Lea Anne Neal (already mentioned on this thread) but I'm not 100% sure.

Selleconn
Jan. 4, 2008, 12:37 AM

It was Lea Anne Neal. She and Melinda both rode with Robert and both pretty much dropped out at the top of their game as far as I know.

Velvet
Jan. 4, 2008, 09:33 AM
I think slc is just being more obtuse than usual, everyone. Just ignore her, the way I usually do. :lol: (Too bad I forgot to log in this morning before perusing this post. ;) )

As I've said, not disappeared, QUIT. And quit after they reached the top of the game.

Some of the names I've seen really have left horse sports all together, some still dabble, but don't do it the same way anymore. BTW, I thought that David O was still teaching and doing some training, as well as heading up the USEF.

How Bout No (Karrie)
Jan. 4, 2008, 11:08 AM
I believe Linda Zang is still very well into horses. She recently did a clinic (read it in a magazine) and still has her farm in Maryland (I live in the general area of her farm and drive past it quite often, very nice place from what I've seen).

I'm sure Lendon Grey is still active. I saw somewhere online that she is either HAVING a clinic or recently had one and was given congrats. Eh, its either or.

slc2
Jan. 4, 2008, 11:12 AM
Not really, people are mentioning all these names of people who HAVEN'T quit. It sounds like one of those Geico commercials for the Cabbage Patch doll that grew up.

Linda Zang is riding, training, teaching, clinicing, judging all over the world. Petrushkova never went to another olympics but she worked in research, sold horses, taught and did a ton of things for decades after. Just not in american horse magazines.

there are a couple different categories.

Quit riding.

Quit competing.

Quit training, clinicing, judging.

Quit doing the one thing that drew American magazine attention to them, so everyone thinks they died, went mad, or joined a Buddhist monastery in Bhutan.

Don't have a horse winning 1st place at the world championships any more so everything thinks they ....etc.

Have absolutely nothing to do with horses any more.

I think most people who made the papers at one time or another, usually keep at something to do with horses.

A rider is very lucky to have one top horse. Everything has to come together at the same time. To expect someone to crank out Rembrandt after Rembrandt for the next 50 yrs is unrealistic and unfair pressure. The odds of getting another horse like that just aren't there.

Many people get sick of competing or judging or whatever - so what, it's their life to spend as they wish. It's a lot of traveling and it's very hard mentally - imagine being subjected endlessly to character assassination on multiple bulletin boards and from gossipy rail birds. It gets old. The qualification process is a gauntlet. People get tired of it.

People have children, their life circumstances change, money runs out, they want to spend their money on something else....I don't think most people 'stay at the top' or near it, doing the same exact thing forever. I sure hope not. It seems quite taken for granted by most Europeans, that riders will get to a certain age and follow other pursuits.

Laurel&HollyFarm
Jan. 4, 2008, 01:06 PM
I read a letter written by Lendon Gray today in which she says "I cannot ride anymore".

Velvet
Jan. 4, 2008, 01:22 PM
I read a letter written by Lendon Gray today in which she says "I cannot ride anymore".

Can't ride at all? Or just can't compete? If she can't even sit on a horse, how sad is that? You know it would never be her choice to not sit on a horse again. :(

Laurel&HollyFarm
Jan. 4, 2008, 01:43 PM
Can't ride at all? Or just can't compete? If she can't even sit on a horse, how sad is that? You know it would never be her choice to not sit on a horse again. :(

The letter was in response to the proposed rule change, but it sure sounded like can't ride at all. So very sad :cry:.

J-Lu
Jan. 4, 2008, 03:03 PM
-most likely, but for a while there I read this thread as "top riders who quilt" and I kept wondering why the moderators didn't move it to off-course (and what an obscure question that was). I get it now.

...now back to your regularly scheduled program...

yankeeclipper
Jan. 4, 2008, 06:06 PM
I heard over the summer that Gerd Zuther closed up shop and went for a cruise.

His contact info is no longer on the Peak Rock Farm website. Where did he go???

OlmosHeaven
Jan. 4, 2008, 06:20 PM
I'm pretty sure I saw Tad Coffin at the World Championship 3-Day Event in Kentucky in 1978, and I think it was on Bally Cor. So he continued riding for a while after the '76 Olympics.

yellowbritches
Jan. 4, 2008, 06:54 PM
DOC, while extremely busy with the USEF, etc, still rides and coaches anytime he's home. He may not be out competing every weekend as he once was, but he is still VERY active, just in different ways.

tryhardeventer
Jan. 4, 2008, 10:13 PM
Ginny leng married Mikey Elliot (MFH of the Heythrop Hunt) and gave eventing away in the mid nineties (I know this because my next door neighbour was her head groom).
BTW my neighbour got to take Master Craftsman out hunting (lucky b****)

Blythe Tait and Mark Todd are doing the racehorse thing in NZ.

glfprncs
Jan. 5, 2008, 10:43 AM
Molly Bliss--was the top ranked YR in the country in eventing, and she and her horse, Hey Charlie, went to the European YR Champs and finished 2nd. She then gave Charlie to her coach, Mike Plumb, and went to college. She is now a doctor in the northeast.

Trotsky
Jan. 5, 2008, 11:29 AM
Not a GP rider, but the first U.S. freestyle guru, Doug Mankovich, vanished. Seems to have reappeared in ice dancing as coach and judge, which was his first competitive sport. He was instrumental in putting freestyle on the map and teaching riders to really interpret music and choreograph the whole arena, not just put some unrelated music behind a boring test.

Velvet
Jan. 5, 2008, 10:30 PM
I'm pretty sure I saw Tad Coffin at the World Championship 3-Day Event in Kentucky in 1978, and I think it was on Bally Cor. So he continued riding for a while after the '76 Olympics.

He definitely rode Bally Cor after the Olympics. It was even in "International Velvet." :D I thought that was Ledyard, in the movie...so I can't say whether or not he was at Kentucky.

Trotsky
Jan. 5, 2008, 11:23 PM
He definitely rode Bally Cor after the Olympics. It was even in "International Velvet." :D I thought that was Ledyard, in the movie...so I can't say whether or not he was at Kentucky.

The movie was Kentucky.

glfprncs
Jan. 6, 2008, 08:36 AM
Tad Coffin did ride Bally Cor in the 1978 World Championships in Kentucky. He was eliminated on cross-country (I believe at 'the Serpent', which is also where Mike Plumb met his demise that year).

What about Diana Rankin, who rode New Ladykiller at what I believe were the Dressage World Champs. in Canada...I'm thinking 1986, perhaps? Also, Anne Grethe-Jensen, who used to ride Marzog...whatever has happened to her? Oh, and another, Jo Hinneman. I know I've heard his name when Sven Rothenberger (sp?) purchased a horse from him, but is he still in the game? I would assume they still ride, just not at the top of the sport (for whatever reason--no horse, no desire, teaching more, etc.). There was also another lovely German rider whose name escapes me right now who rode for Germany at the World Championships that year (the team included Jo Hinneman, Reiner Klimke, the young lady to whom I am referring, and I can't recall the 4th team member).

Also, who made up the American team that year? I know Sandy Pflueger (now Phillips) on Marco Polo, Robert Dover on Federlicht, Diana Rankin on New Ladykiller, and who else? I'm at a loss.

The Pook
Jan. 6, 2008, 09:11 AM
The International Velvet movie was filmed at Ledyard Farm in Massachusetts. I know because I was there when it was happening.

snoopy
Jan. 6, 2008, 10:39 AM
The International Velvet movie was filmed at Ledyard Farm in Massachusetts. I know because I was there when it was happening.

You are correct...the ledyard sequences were filmed in 77 and the film released in 78. Was there as well.

egontoast
Jan. 6, 2008, 10:41 AM
Gawd, that was an awful movie. Ties with the Hoarse Whisperer.:cry:

snoopy
Jan. 6, 2008, 10:43 AM
[QUOTE=glfprncs;2916482]Tad Coffin did ride Bally Cor in the 1978 World Championships in Kentucky. He was eliminated on cross-country (I believe at 'the Serpent', which is also where Mike Plumb met his demise that year).

Also, Anne Grethe-Jensen, who used to ride Marzog...whatever has happened to her? Oh, and another, Jo Hinneman. QUOTE]

Anne is competeing a nice horse at small tour level...as Her Hinneman, ah yes..he is still in the game!!!!!;):D
The serpent fence claimed a lot of horses...dreadful fence....many good horses came to grief there, sadly.

The Pook
Jan. 6, 2008, 11:07 AM
OMG- Snoppy is another person who not only was there 30 years ago but remebers it ! Hurray! And yes, it was a lousy movie...

Curb Appeal
Jan. 6, 2008, 12:46 PM

Yup. Ellin and Bruce's daughter, Hillary, is showing now. I went to groom for Bruce shortly after Ellin stopped riding. I had the honor of hand walking her horse, "Tele", as part of my daily duties.
They are a very nice family. My best friend is still working for them.

Velvet
Jan. 6, 2008, 12:48 PM
I guess I wouldn't rate the movie lousy. The story was insipid--and had holes you could drive a Mac truck through, BUT it definitely had some redeeming qualities. While the acting of Nanette Newman, Tatum O'Neal, and Jeffrey Byron (Scott Saunders) were HORRIBLE, Christopher Plummer was really good as the SO for Nanette's "Velvet". And Anthony Hopkins stole the movie as "Captain Johnson" (Captain/Chef d' Equippe for the British 3-Day Team). He was the epitome of the coaches of that day and time.

I love that they show pieces of how they picked and developed team members back then. It was very different. Also the horses really were "team" horses and not always just individual horses. Then you have the real even riding by real eventers. That was and still is one of the only movies I've seen that incorporates real riding at the top level. One look at some other movies where even the other riding is usually much lower level than the one the movies says they are competing at, makes this movie the best of the genre.

So, I still give it a thumbs up. It was the first time I'd seen a three day event, and it's when I found out horses were in the Olympics. It also inspired me to start taking lessons. :D I still really enjoy this movie.

fiona
Jan. 8, 2008, 09:50 AM
Ulla Salzgeber retiring to run a hotel/inn/resort is one of the most bogus stories ever!

egontoast
Jan. 8, 2008, 10:56 AM
I think that fictional story was from the pen of Astrid, maybe?:D

Portia
Jan. 8, 2008, 11:05 AM
Conrad Homfeld is a very active and very successful SJ course designer.

snoopy
Jan. 8, 2008, 12:30 PM

:eek:;):eek:;):eek:;)

fiona
Jan. 8, 2008, 02:13 PM
Yes, it came as a complete surprise to her many clients when she failed to take manicure bookings and showed no interest in cutting hair to the latest Victoria Beckham style.

Sabine
Jan. 9, 2008, 12:06 AM

That is true...AStrid is quite resourceful- when it comes to peeps re-visiting her webpage.
Ulla is certainly not retired....but that's another story in itself...

fooler
Jan. 10, 2008, 05:50 PM
Tad Coffin did ride Bally Cor in the 1978 World Championships in Kentucky. He was eliminated on cross-country (I believe at 'the Serpent', which is also where Mike Plumb met his demise that year).

What about Diana Rankin, who rode New Ladykiller at what I believe were the Dressage World Champs. in Canada...I'm thinking 1986, perhaps? Also, Anne Grethe-Jensen, who used to ride Marzog...whatever has happened to her? Oh, and another, Jo Hinneman. I know I've heard his name when Sven Rothenberger (sp?) purchased a horse from him, but is he still in the game? I would assume they still ride, just not at the top of the sport (for whatever reason--no horse, no desire, teaching more, etc.). There was also another lovely German rider whose name escapes me right now who rode for Germany at the World Championships that year (the team included Jo Hinneman, Reiner Klimke, the young lady to whom I am referring, and I can't recall the 4th team member).

Also, who made up the American team that year? I know Sandy Pflueger (now Phillips) on Marco Polo, Robert Dover on Federlicht, Diana Rankin on New Ladykiller, and who else? I'm at a loss.

Coffin was not eliminated. He did have several stops & time penalties (he had to stop after the head of the lake to remove the broken running martingale - I know because I held Bally Cor while he and Ann Hardaway Sutton adjusted tack). Our team took bronze based on the scores of Bruce D (still riding), Jimmy Wofford (retired & coaching) and Coffin. Plumb's was the throw score.

Another retiree - former show jumper & flat+steeple chase jockey Kathy Kusner. Now running Horses in the Hood in LA area www.horsesinthehood.org

Aleen
Jan. 10, 2008, 07:16 PM
Don't forget the Canadian event rider - Jim Day - from the 1980's who I believe became a TB steeplechase trainer as well as flat racing trainer.

Lendon is VERY active as the head of Gleneden Dressage in Bedford, New York and has turned to teaching, organizing and basically "giving back" to the sport (also current president, I believe, of the Westchester-Fairfield Dressage Association.) She has also been and is currently (I think) on the Dressage Committee of the USEF.

Tad Coffin taught extensively in clinics and also rode in the first Reiner Klimke seminar here in the US in ?1989? He left the clinic in a hurry as his first child was being born! Last I heard he was in Purcelleville (sp?) Virginia, raising kids, Holsteiners and designing saddles . . .

Aleen Thomas
Warwick, NY

snoopy
Jan. 10, 2008, 07:22 PM
Then there was my hero...Liz Ashton, she was the captan of the canadian team, and IMO one of the best all around riders/trainers. She is now president of a college in Victoria and a Dr. to boot.
Juliet Graham...another rider who achieved so much, this woman was literally BRED to ride, given who her parents are. Juliet my dear, I know you are reading...LOVE ya.:D

Mantis
Jan. 12, 2008, 05:37 PM
It is true about Lendon. She cannot ride due to her physical problems (I have ridden with her and have a dear friend who trained with her for many years) but she is very much a part of the NE dressage community and actually runs Dressage4Kids as well as trains many young riders and organizes and hosts a huge competition at her farm every summer. She is also an active poster on this forum...

also - Aleen, you have a PM

hoopoe
Jan. 12, 2008, 07:50 PM
Ulla Salzgeber retiring to run a hotel/inn/resort is one of the most bogus stories ever!

get out of town

since I try to avoid anything Astrid (or Bergit ) "report" then I guess I was not up on the nature of all the scuttle springing from their bu... pens