PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever gotten a show coat tailored?

lacy859
Dec. 30, 2007, 11:13 AM
I have a jacket I was given that I absolutely love but is slightly too big.... approximately one size. I really dont want to buy a new one at this point (this one is an older model Pikeur Diana). Has anyone ever taken thier jacket to a tailor? Was it worth it/really expensive? Do you have to take it to someone who is purely an equine tailor, or should a regular tailor who can do suits and stuff be able to handle it?
Thanks

Ibex
Dec. 30, 2007, 11:20 AM
I had my hunt coat taken down everywhere but the shoulders, and it looks great! I took it to a tailor that also does custom show coats so he understands how it needs to fit for riding.

hoser1
Dec. 30, 2007, 01:02 PM
I haven't yet, but I need to - I have a Cavallo washable dressage coat I got on e-bay that fits me in the waist but is way too long and shoulders are too wide. I've been putting off taking it to a tailor because I don't know who to go and am afraid it will get ruined. To the person who had it done by a custom coat tailor, do you mind giving me their name and contact info? Maybe I could send my coat off to someone trustworthy if there's no one local.

Trixie's mom
Dec. 30, 2007, 01:39 PM
call a good tack shop and ask who they recommend for off the rack alterations...

exvet
Dec. 30, 2007, 03:03 PM
I had my older Pikeur (also the Diana) taken in about a year ago. It was always too big but it wasn't so bad so I could still ride in it - just didn't hang great and it was the smallest size they come in and I made due. One day my hospital manager heard me complaining about it to a client who also shows. She piped in a said that her mother is a seamstress and could take in anything. I was leary but she did a wonderful job and charged me much less than she should have, only $100. She took it in at the top of the sleeves (shortened the sleeves) and took it in across & down the back. It fits perfect now; but, as I said, I got really lucky. I did at least take a look at the work she had done and though she had never worked on a riding coat before it was obvious that she understood the construction of it and what needed to be done; so, I took a deep breath and let her take it apart and fit it piece by piece to me.

carovet
Dec. 30, 2007, 04:10 PM
I have to have almost everything i buy adjusted in one way or another due to my height -- I usually buy coats and shirts a size or 2 too big to get the shoulders and length to fit correctly and then have the waist/sides taken in.

I just bought a barely used (men's!) pikeur shad that just happened to belong to a tall, skinny, older gentleman that fit perfectly across the shoulders, and in the waist length.

My seamstress added darts, took in the waist, let out the sleeves, took it in down the back seam, moved the front buttons over, moved the vest points, etc.

It looks awesome now! You would never know it wasn't made for me.

But I have had seamstress work done badly too and clothes ruined. I would either get a tack store recommendation, or a recomendation from an expensive boutique/department store. Then if you have any doubts, take a few pieces of clothing from your closet that could fit better than they do and test out the seamstress before you give them your big $ items.

good luck!

traceyinojai
Dec. 30, 2007, 06:25 PM
I had one of my show coats seriously tailored post-pregnancy and it turned out beautifully. I used a really good seamstress that I had used before but she had no horse apparel experience. So I brought her coat hunt pictures from the Dover catelog and she even updated the lapels to a more current style. It cost about $45 dollars and looked great. Make sure you find someone who is highly skilled and it should work out for you. Good luck!

Ibex
Dec. 30, 2007, 06:32 PM
To the person who had it done by a custom coat tailor, do you mind giving me their name and contact info? Maybe I could send my coat off to someone trustworthy if there's no one local.

I'm in Vancouver, BC, so unfortunatly it's not local to you! For those who are interested, it was Kerrisdale Tailors on 41st Street...

Fantastic
Dec. 30, 2007, 10:22 PM
I used the tailors at Nordstrom to fit my shadbelly, and they did an outstanding job. I figured heck, if they could tailor my suit jackets, they should be able to tailor riding clothes.

lacy859
Dec. 30, 2007, 11:03 PM
anyone know anyone in Lexington (or Louisville or Cinci) that does good tailoring?

Renae
Dec. 30, 2007, 11:35 PM
Does the coat fit you across the shoulders? If it is too big across the shoulders I would not bother having it altered, the tailor will have to take the sleeves off and reconstruct the whole coat, you might as well get a new on ethat does fit you across the shoulders.

If the coat is the right size in the shoulders altering things like sleeve length and fullness, waist, bust, and coat length are relatively easy for a tailor. A lined garment like a show coat will always cost more and be trickir to alter than an unlined garment but in general the end result is worth the cost. i use the tailor at me local dry cleaners, his daughter shows hunters and he does a great job :)

WWGeorgeMorrisD
Dec. 31, 2007, 07:59 AM
I almost always have to get show clothes tailored. Make sure you go to someone who knows riding clothes!

CaseysWhiskey
Dec. 31, 2007, 11:07 AM
I would also like to get my tailored, but here is my dilemma. It's to long when I post or sit the trot I'm sitting on it and it pulls down in the back. How do I know how much to take off without it looking to short? Is there a standard length??

Thanks...

Tiligsmom
Dec. 31, 2007, 01:30 PM
Yes. I had my tailored through Nordstrom and they did a FABULOUS job. It was expensive, but it was truly tailored to my body, so she had to rework the shoulders, bust and waist. If you want a perfect fit, I highly recommend!

Velvet
Dec. 31, 2007, 01:44 PM
I had mine done at an expensive store (Marshall Field's) and they never got it right. Two tries and they kept messing it up. Finally got someone who could do it right, and then there was a coat disaster. :eek: I asked her to make me a custom one with fabric I had. She used parts of the other one as a pattern and now I have a custom coat. No worries! :D