PDA

View Full Version : Ughhg, Grrrrrr, Uhghg, Grrrrrrrr

STF
Dec. 29, 2007, 10:11 PM
Ok, I had some fluid on L7 and had some major back pain going on. Dr. took care of it..... had to take a few weeks off, injections, fluid removed, etc, etc.
Ok.... all is fine. Well have been off of riding heavy for a few weeks now and all is fine, healed, etc.
Well go to get fat black mare out and all her topline is disaapread!!! Nada, Gone. All that work over the summer and its GONE from her sabatical and light lunging only. I was riding some, but only the ones I just had to ride no matter what (training horses!)
Ahahhahhahahhahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhahhah a
Now I have to start over.
The mare who was light in my hands and light off my leg is now a fat pig, laying into my hands on on her forhand with very limited leg movement. Its like her legs were stuck in the ground! :(
AND to top it off....... I have gained more weight too, so I wont beat her up to bad as Im in as bad of shape as she is now! LOL
And some people say this is not an athletic sport!
What the @#$@#$@# everaaaaaaaaa!!!

Im depressed........ where is my wine! LOL

pintopiaffe
Dec. 29, 2007, 10:16 PM
awwww... here, have some of my wine. But it's the $3 bottle Boone's Sangria...

Sometimes life's little interferences suck.

Glad your back is better. Sorry you're starting over. :no:

dray
Dec. 29, 2007, 10:23 PM
LaNet,

I totally feel your pain. That has been the story of my life for the past few years...and sadly, the top line DOES change without consistent work relatively quickly...inconsistency bites.

The good news is that your back is better, right? So focus on that part and build from there.

I think in a perfect world, we all have covered arenas and a back up/assistant/working student/partner to step in and keep things moving along....

and the point you brought up...the cobbler's kids are the last to get the shoes.

Happy New Year!
Donna

Reiter
Dec. 29, 2007, 10:38 PM
I can totally relate! I had two children in 3 years and unfortunately my horses topline is in better shape than mine! :(
Today I was out there riding in the drizzling rain while my 1 year old was napping and my 4 year old was playing in the mud! You won't believe how many people are amazed I have the time to ride! Ha! I make the time! I bet now that you are back to your old schedule, both you and your mare will get back to your old shape quickly! Few people are as dedicated as us horsey folk! ;)

Ibex
Dec. 29, 2007, 10:44 PM
And some people say this is not an athletic sport!
What the @#$@#$@# everaaaaaaaaa!!!

Im depressed........ where is my wine! LOL

This is what I'm muttering under my breath every. single. lesson.

I cancelled my plans tonight for a hot bath in epsom salts and a glass of wine. My ass hurts. (ok, it's some very specific muscle that my coach is thrilled is hurting because it means I'm finally using it right. My translation? "My ass hurts.")

Sabine
Dec. 30, 2007, 01:40 AM
Poor Baby!! you're not alone at least- my big guy was laid up for the past 9 weeks with a slight tear in the anular ligament...without him I gained 5 pounds and feel like a big bag of flubber...started bringing him back last week (thank God to Ace) and am hurting all over...feeling like 90 years old right now...but YEAH!! it's soo much fun to have them back. He feels really great to ride- light and full of great movement- but a bit hot and scary at times- I must admit...

Trying to put all the good mental notes into work- like don't hold with your hand- encourage forward- reward forward and have good- positive exercises in mind- give walk breaks etc...
problem is- after a good work segment and a walk break- he throws a fit about going back to work- like bucking a canter circle- getting ready to take off- etc....

Just keep on working and in due time- the fat will be gone...:)!!

J-Lu
Dec. 30, 2007, 02:03 AM
STF,

Are you talking about my fat black mare? SHe had about 4 weeks off after an injury stemming from a serious romp in the arena. I've also gained a good 5 lbs without her, and she has decidedly lost her topline. It appears to have sunk to her belly. :winkgrin:

I rode her for the first time today. Out in the fields because it is relaxing, right? After three hard spooks, a hard buck at the yearling pen, a decided bolt-to-attempted runaway when I turned back towards the barn, and jigging all the way back (some half-steps thrown in to see how even she was), I decided that my fat black mare is not only sound, but full of pent up energy. Joy. But her back is weak and she's not fit so I have to take it slow. Biologically, my mare is geared towards vacation so it is always a challenge to bring her back.

You'll get your own fat black mare back in shape in no time. My whole show season last year was about bringing the horse back from some freak occurance. The important thing is that your back is better! Time flies...

Are you by chance coming to the HDS show in January? If so, please stop by the barn. I'l owe you a glass of wine...or at least some coffee!

J.

Leena
Dec. 30, 2007, 09:26 AM
Yup, topline vanish as fast as the wind....

LaNet, I am happy for your back improvement and I feel sorry for all the fitness work gone but you are not alone.....

STF
Dec. 30, 2007, 10:08 AM
Trying to put all the good mental notes into work- like don't hold with your hand- encourage forward- reward forward and have good- positive exercises in mind- give walk breaks etc...
problem is- after a good work segment and a walk break- he throws a fit about going back to work- like bucking a canter circle- getting ready to take off- etc....

I know, I know....
Yesterday was sad! :lol:
I knew what needed to be happening, but could not MAKE it happen. I would ask for forward, FatBlackMare would try, but want me to hold her up in the front and my leg was not strong enough to even hold myself where I NEEDED to be! :( FBM (FatBlackMare) is not small, Im 6ft tall and FAR from small and both of us are a pityful sight. Elevated front end?? Oh, you jest! :lol: :lol:
Ill even share my pain in a pic attached!
*not asking for a critique as I know very well what needs to happen, but FBM and FWG (Fat White Girl) could not do it if they tried as out of shape as we are.
LaNet is saying.... "carry me along FBM"............ FBM is saying..... "Hold me up, Hold me up". Im reaching to try to find a LEG that is NOT THERE anymore and well...................
Were a sad pair!

J-Lu - My plan was to do the HDS but I dont know. I did not send in entries after my back issue and did not know if I could get FBM and FWG back in shape enough to even do a rated show justice to her. I may not see all of you until the next show in March.

But on the up side, my back is fine. Even after two rides yesterday and even jumping Halizar over some 2ft stuff yesterday along with riding FBM, I did not have any pain last night or this morning.
You dont know HOW happy I am about that and its worth "starting over!"

PS - I uploaded a 2nd pic from the summer when I was just getting her into good training level, ready to start 1st level work. She was so much more balanced and athletic.
See the difference in her!
:(

lizathenag
Dec. 30, 2007, 11:48 AM
I think in a perfect world, we all have covered arenas and a back up/assistant/working student/partner to step in and keep things moving along....

Even in that perfect world, riders have physical issues to deal with (and weight to lose as a result)!

BarbB
Dec. 30, 2007, 11:53 AM
Even in that perfect world, riders have physical issues to deal with (and weight to lose as a result)!

I don't know why you would settle for that! In MY perfect world....everything would be PERFECT. :lol:

Unfortunately I lost my map :cool:

The good/bad news is that the mare will probably get her fitness back before you do....but then it will be motivating to keep up with her.

atr
Dec. 30, 2007, 01:53 PM
I'm heading into month three of bringing my spotty boy back to serious work after the best part of 14 months either completely off, or just noodling around, due to either his health or mine. He's finally starting to look like a horse again, rather than a friesian cow. His rear end muscles were so badly damaged in the original tie up incident, he had stringy hollows back there, his topline was so gone it was utterly invisible, his back muscles were like pencils, and while not fat, per se, he had the horsey equivalent of a beer gut. Pretty danged embarassing for a dressage horse.

He's not back to his former glory, but by golly he looks, and moves, SOOO much better in just a couple of months :) Now if I could just get his previously fabulous, Why-I-Bought-Him, canter back together. We're almost there, just need a little more time, strength and fitness. On both our parts. (The first time we actually managed to canter all the way round the arena, I was so happy, I cried. So now of course I'm not satisfied with that, I'm expecting roundness and balance. Oh well, it will come, and there's no rush. We haven't been longlisted for the Team this year, after all :D)

I'm a wreck. Every part of me hurts. I keep discovering new muscles to stress. We rediscovered my abs just before Christmas--no laughing matter, I can tell you! Today I'm sitting here feeling the muscles either side of my spine, and having ridden in a different saddle yesterday, something funky in my hips.

However, I'm regarding it as something of a blessing. If I feel like this, he probably does too, so easing up a little might be a good idea...

DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho"
Dec. 30, 2007, 02:01 PM
My sympathies! And believe me, I feel your pain. All of you.

STF
Dec. 30, 2007, 02:02 PM
Its funny (if funny is the right word, cuz Im not laughing) that it takes months to build it and only a few weeks to lose it!

onetempies
Dec. 30, 2007, 05:20 PM
Amazing how quick a topline can vanish, isn't it? I remember that from Sass after her surgery layups then foaling. :(

Just send the healing vibes my way now. Sunshine tossed me into the arena wall yesterday which resulted in some interesting bruising and a severely sprained ankle that now has an aircast on it. :mad: I left a rather interesting mark on the wall too from where I hit. :o

dray
Dec. 30, 2007, 05:25 PM
LOL...re: perfect world commentaries...however, LaNet...again - tell us all teh great things you can accomplish each day. Miracles happen one day at a time...you know? I figure if we ride eveyr stride the best we can, we can get it back together.

I have taken total control of my destiny...have been going to the gym with my daughter and it's a "real" gym...owner was Olympic sportsman and really does train...we live in a small town so it's not like a Bally's ...so my back hurts, my ass hurts...

We just got back from the gym and now are heading to the barn.

I also got a new job and start soon!!!!!!!!!!!! Actually selling ultra cool technology this time...excellent company, superior management team...

2008 is going to be my year. I cannot wait. I have a running start. We get to start Ladimir this year...maybe we'll get to debut in June somewhere. She seems to be a thinker, not a stiker, so it could happen.

Donna

J-Lu
Dec. 30, 2007, 10:45 PM
STF,

My personal FBM was deemed sound today by Lizzy Borden (my trainer and not her real name), although she's soooooooooooo out of shape.

With a solid conditioning program, you will be surprised how quickly the FBMs will come back into shape. Yes, it'll be at least a long, painful month, but the time will fly. I think I'll need that time myself to get back into shape... And I honestly believe that no horse suffers from some time off. I like to view it as one less month wear and tear on her hocks.

I owe you a glass of wine or a coffee in commiseration of owning FBMs, or in celebration of your successful back procedure. Cash in your offer anytime!!!

J.

KimPeterson
Dec. 31, 2007, 09:18 AM
My horses have been out of work for a while due to my son, I just can't find the time with working to ride as much as needed !! I use to tease my husband and couldn't understand why he was sore after a 1 hr ride, hello I am sore now after 20 minutes !! I have had to send the two of them to a friend to whip into shape for this spring / summer or they will never see a horse show.

I feel your pain, I even had a new model saddle made with memory foam in the seat to honor my bum that is no longer made of steel :)

Some days I think I would be better off with one good ol trail horse or a pack mule and a flask....