PDA

View Full Version : What helmet do you show in?

hoser1
Dec. 29, 2007, 01:50 PM
My old GPA is getting s-t-i-n-k-y. I've tried cleaning it and deodorizing it, and it's just not working. I think a new hat may be in my future soon, but I'm curious as to what approved helmets people like to show in. I've shown in my microfiber GPA, but don't feel that it looks quite right with a classic dressage coat. Post photos if you have 'em!

CLB15
Dec. 29, 2007, 02:00 PM
Internationals, Troxels (the velvet &/or velveteen ones) and Charles Owen. Black velvet always looks sharp (or navy with a navy/dark blue jacket).
I loved my old Internation helmets, but I now have a CO that is awesome- lightweight, fits well, low profile... and it cleans up nicely for shows (I school in it too). I know two people who show with skunk-stripe helmets though and haven't had any comments made regarding their headgear at dressage shows. SO, whatever fits best & is in your budget!

Ibex
Dec. 29, 2007, 02:29 PM
I have a velvet covered International - think it's a knockoff of the CO Hampton?? It looks nice; the low profile GR8 Pro's are really sharp as well, but $$$$...

iownapaint
Dec. 29, 2007, 03:04 PM
I have a Charles Owen that I LOFF! I don't use it for everyday, but it's just as comfy as my vented Tipp. I think it's the showjumper model that they don't make anymore, but the others I have tried on all look very non-salad bowl like and are just as comfy. I think they're made for a more oval head and that's what I've got. ;)

pintopiaffe
Dec. 29, 2007, 04:18 PM
Troxel.. the velvet one that comes in sizes not just s/m/l Soemthing "gold". Legacy maybe?

Any approved helmet that is not a 'dial fit' that is velvet, (or velveteen--I can't tell the difference!) fits, and is comfortable, without being a horrible mushroom head. :yes:

Tasker
Dec. 29, 2007, 07:29 PM
GPA for anything below PSG. Top hat for FEI. No exceptions either & a GPA or Charles Owens for every ride at home. The CO is a bit big, so it is in full use with a bandana for the winter.

ania
Dec. 30, 2007, 08:29 AM
(Prepared to be flamed for this) buuutt I am now going to be showing in an unapproved international helmet. I even took the harness off it to make it look even more like a huntcap. Before that I showed in a velvet troxel. Nothing wrong with it, just wanted something fun for florida ;)

hoser1
Dec. 30, 2007, 09:13 AM
Tasker, is your GPA the velvet one? If so, do you school in it also, and have you noticed that it has faded badly? I just noticed that the velvet on that hat looked like it might fade badly, but maybe it doesn't. I just couldn't fathom spending that kind of moola on a hat if I couldn't use it all the time - hence I've had the microfiber one.

Foxhound
Dec. 30, 2007, 10:47 AM
I love my IRH GPA knockoff. It's comfortable, safe, and looks good. Plus, it's a lot cheaper than the GPA!

myrna
Dec. 30, 2007, 11:04 AM
Charles Owen has brought out a new helmet, the JR8.looks like the GR8 but half the price!

mjhco
Dec. 30, 2007, 11:31 AM
I have shown through PSG in my International GPA look alike. It has been durable--rain doesn't wreck it. Neither does the hot sun. I had a Troxel--just didn't fit my head. It rocked around. And the velvet did not stand up to being rained on.

I also showed in my Charles Owen Show Jumper. But it is not vented so it is very hot.

I also clinic with 'I' and 'O' judges in my International GPA look alike. It fits. It is comfortable even in hot weather.

baylady7
Dec. 30, 2007, 02:11 PM
Howdy

When it is not warm out, I am in my Troxel Legacy Gold, which has a black velvet covering. When it is warm out (we generally try to avoid showing in the heat) I will wear my Troxel with the vents. It is not the pretty black velvet but it saves my brain from being fried!!! I want to get one of the cool looking Western tooled leather covered helmets- sorta like bling! But alas it is nearly $100 and I have better things to do with my dough at this point.

Appy Trails,
Kathy & Cadet

onetempies
Dec. 30, 2007, 05:28 PM
I ended up getting the IRH dial a fit for my hard to fit head. I really like the GPAs but my budget does NOT like the price. I've been eyeing the COs lately.

flshgordon
Dec. 30, 2007, 05:31 PM
GPA, but my next one will be the CO GR8 or JR8. Those seem to fit my odd shaped head better but they weren't readily available when I got my GPA.

Chelsea123
Dec. 30, 2007, 05:40 PM
I show in my CO GR8.
It's comfortable and looks nice! :)

blondmane
Dec. 30, 2007, 06:10 PM
I have a Charles Owen John Whittier model and I LOVE it! Ride in it everyday and show in it too. Low profile, coolmax lining - what else could I ask for?

Tasker
Dec. 30, 2007, 08:51 PM
Tasker, is your GPA the velvet one? If so, do you school in it also, and have you noticed that it has faded badly? I just noticed that the velvet on that hat looked like it might fade badly, but maybe it doesn't. I just couldn't fathom spending that kind of moola on a hat if I couldn't use it all the time - hence I've had the microfiber one.

Yes it is a velvet one but I got it in the Sale Rack aka Return Pile at Dover in 2004 ~ $125. It has been abused daily & not kept clean since then! :D I *think* I got a damp towel and wiped it off before this class but it is also possible that I didn't get the towel out either... :uhoh: Probably lax on my part to not keep it cleaner but I will replace it at some point (after a fall) with one that will not fade. There is also a defect in the velvet (a couple of stitches offset near the vent) but it is to protect my noggin not make it prettier! I love the fit (I'm a pinhead - 6 3/8ths) so the $$$ is well spent in a properly fitting hat. The CO is in much worse shape and a dull faded brownish black and only about 2 years older FWIW. IMHO it faded much more quickly and has not held up as well.

Dune
Dec. 31, 2007, 11:12 AM
I have the Charles Owen WEllington Professional. Love it!

flypony74
Jan. 1, 2008, 07:58 PM
I show in a CO Hampton, as it is the only velvet that really fits me well and doesn't look huge on my small head. I school in a Tipperary.....I'd swelter if I schooled in a velvet helmet everyday. Also keeps my show helmet nice.

JustDressage
Jan. 1, 2008, 08:09 PM
I either show in my International ATH (it has the "classic" stripe down the center - its also my regular schooling helmet) which is black velvet, or I show in a solid black velvet Troxel. I find both comfortable and totally show appropriate - I show in USEF/USDF recognized dressage shows as well as the USDF Regionals.

Here are links to pictures (from Dover Saddlery):

International ATH:
http://www.doversaddlery.com/international-ath-velveteen-helmet-with-dial-fit-system/p/X1-36117/cn/39/

Troxel:
http://www.doversaddlery.com/troxel-victory-riding-helmet/p/X1-36177/cn/39/

CTM
Jan. 2, 2008, 06:03 AM
Hoser1 - Have you tried washing your GPA? There was a thread on H/J a few years back on this; there may be a more recent one. Some people put theirs in the dishwasher; I just wash mine in the laundry sink with Dawn anitbacterial dish soap. It takes a day or two to dry but it comes out fine.