PDA

View Full Version : Devoucoux Milady?

ChampionMercedes
Dec. 29, 2007, 01:15 AM
I have the opportunity to try a Devoucoux Milady that a friend of the family is selling. Seat size is fine for me, just waiting to heal up from another ankle surgery before I can actually ride in it. I was wondering if anyone has any experience positive/negative with these saddles or Devoucoux dressage saddles in general. I have ridden in the Devoucoux close contacts and really liked them but never one of their dressage models.

oldbutnotdead
Dec. 29, 2007, 04:10 PM
Lucky you! I find the Devoucoux dressage saddles help me maintain the correct body position. However, I have found that the seat sizes run a little small.

sid
Dec. 29, 2007, 06:00 PM
They are fine for the lower levels and are super comfortable for the rider, placing one in a great position.

My horses found them uncomfortable once they were starting to get into more advanced work due to the shape of the tree.

Kiljoywashere
Dec. 29, 2007, 08:17 PM
All right, call me a traditionalist, but square cantles are for men's saddles and round cantles are for women's saddles, so why did they put a square cantle on a saddle and then name it "Milady"?????

chancellor2
Dec. 31, 2007, 08:14 AM
Make sure that it is WOOL flocked. One of my students had a close contact that was foam flocked and therefore could not be fitted to her horse without full wool flocking being done.

lizathenag
Dec. 31, 2007, 10:31 AM
Do a search for "foam" or "wool". There are been several very excellent posts that I don't have the energy to repost.

I adore my Devoucoux as does my horse.

It is not stuffed with cheap carpet foam.

Try one and see for yourself. If it fits, your horse will say ahhh and so will you.

It has changed my riding for the better.

Hilary
Dec. 31, 2007, 10:56 AM
I tried one and felt like it was TOO much like riding bareback. Also, the 2 people I know who have them seem to end up in a chair seat. They love them, but seem to always have their leg way out in front. And they are good riders, too, I am surprised that they like to sit like that.

The jumping saddles don't seem to put you in a bad position, so not sure why the D saddle does.

egontoast
Dec. 31, 2007, 01:24 PM
Kooky name for a saddle.

"Jeeves, bring me Milady from the tackroom. I feel like RIDIN"!:cool:

Glory Bound
Dec. 31, 2007, 05:59 PM
I've been looking for a new dressage saddle and my trainer insisted that I try this one. It was absolutely love at first ride! I ordered mine two weeks ag oand can't wait until it comes! Unfortunately, that will be about 10 more weeks....:no:

mademoiselle
Jan. 1, 2008, 09:53 AM
Tami,

my dressage saddle is a Milady. I love it. It's a good transition from a close contact to a dressage saddle. The seat is very flat and it doesn't force you in a position.

I would say that if you want to ride at the higher levels, you might need more support than what the Milady offers, but for the lower levels (under 3rd) it's a great saddle.

I love it, because it so comfy and on my greenies when they act up I don't get pushed by the cantle.

Go for it!

LEANNERPH
Jan. 1, 2008, 02:00 PM
I ride just broke horses through my Grand Prix horse in these saddles. I have no problem at all with any of the Grand Prix movements in this very open style seat. I'm also not in a chair seat. My trainer would never let me have saddles with "stuff" on them. No blocks to brace against!
I have 5 of these saddles. One has probably close to 5000 rides on it and still works and functions perfectly. It is showing a little wear, but the billets hold up very well.
Mine are all latex. I have no fitting problems. I have some with higher and lower latex in the cantles and I can fit anything.
I'm VERY happy with mine.
Leanne

ChampionMercedes
Jan. 1, 2008, 10:40 PM
Thanks everyone :) I'm not planning on anything high level (Training level would be nice!), but would like to start taking our dressage work more seriously and possible retire from jumping. Now this ankle just needs to heal so I can give it a try instead of sitting here drooling at it.

3rsatsmf
Jan. 2, 2008, 06:43 PM
Everyone who has sat in it has commented favorably as well. The list is short however, I don't show, so my horse and I don't get out much to meet new people. The fit is wonderful for my Friesian, too.

sid
Jan. 2, 2008, 06:53 PM
I must point out that my negative experience were with the Mikhala, not the Milady. This was also about 7 years ago, so perhaps the design of the tree has changed. Personally, I LOVE these saddles for years and had about 4 of them. But they didn't hold up to rigorous use and eventually the tree design bothered horses that were advancing and working over their back (they started to hollow out).

I'm ancient, and perhaps my experiences are old and somewhat outdated. But as far as rider comfort and position...can't be beat! I was just more concerned about what my horses were doing as they advanced and the saddles "broke in".

sharri13
Jan. 4, 2008, 02:05 PM
I have the Media dressage saddle and love it. It is a dressage saddle that can not be used for anything else. The deep seat and thigh block are fantastic, and it places you really close to the horse. I did not care for the Makila, which is popular with a lot of eventers.