PDA

View Full Version : Looking for OTTB for Dressage?

page3girl
Dec. 27, 2007, 07:11 PM
I'm giving serious thought to searching for an OTTB dressage prospect, and have started going through CANTER listings for the mid-Atlantic area (I'm in NOVA). I've had some really lovely TBs in the past who all evented, but could have been very nice dressage horses. And, I really do love TBs and the process of bringing them along.

The problem is, looking for that right horse is like looking for a needle in a haystack. If all these guys had video clips, it would sure make the search easier, but I just don't have the time to make call after call and travel to look at horse after horse before finding the right one with the right movement, soundness and attitude.

So, I was wondering if anyone out there knows of people who perhaps keep a close eye on OTTBs who might be able to assist with the initial finding? Once we identify a real prospect and I get a chance to meet and sit on it, take a video for my trainer and do the vet, I'm confident that I can make the right choice -- but coming up with an initial list of candidates seems like an impossible task.

Any ideas?

sm
Dec. 27, 2007, 08:38 PM
ask Kimberly at http://www.truenorthdressage.com to help you out: sabovee@horsemail.com . She is in MD and pretty knowledgable.

Even just cut and paste your entire post into the email and click send... Wishing you best of luck!

EqTrainer
Dec. 27, 2007, 08:41 PM
Contact Margaret Webber at www.mapleshadefarm.net (http://www.mapleshadefarm.net). She has a horse named Cookie who is the real deal for dressage. He's got the conformation, the movement and the mind for it. Go snatch him up!

Sabovee
Dec. 27, 2007, 08:50 PM
Thanks sm! :)

Page3girl - email me with your budget and what you're looking for and I'll see what I can find! :)

LarissaL
Dec. 27, 2007, 10:06 PM
LOVELY horses Sabovee!

OP, if you need to look further than Sabovee, Mix&Match in PA can set you up with appointments to see multiple horses at Penn Nat'l. I have seen upwards of 15 horses a day in an appointment with Shelly. Their website is www.mmequine.com (note they have access to many more horses than what is listed on their site - including horses listed on CANTER)

DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho"
Dec. 27, 2007, 10:10 PM
sm - you beat me to it!

And might I add, TBs can make fabulous dressage horses. Believe it or not, Ted has a facility for piaffe.

Not that I cough cough will ever be at the level where I will show him in a test that requires piaffe, but still!

Good luck with the search, and let us know what you find!

Angela Freda
Dec. 27, 2007, 11:38 PM
Two words for you:

FLTAP

Adaptation

Sabovee
Dec. 28, 2007, 07:28 PM
Contact Margaret Webber at www.mapleshadefarm.net (http://www.mapleshadefarm.net). She has a horse named Cookie who is the real deal for dressage. He's got the conformation, the movement and the mind for it. Go snatch him up!

Mapleshade put Cookie down today due to an accident :(

PalominoMorgan
Dec. 28, 2007, 10:11 PM
New Vocations might also be able to give you an assessment of horses they have available and their suitability for dressage.

page3girl
Dec. 29, 2007, 06:40 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about Cookie :no:

Thanks to everyone for the ideas; I'm having a look and will be following up.

EqTrainer
Dec. 29, 2007, 07:35 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about Cookie :no:

Thanks to everyone for the ideas; I'm having a look and will be following up.

:cry: Me too.. he was my good friend.

If you don't find what you are looking for, do contact Margaret anyway. She will let you know when she has what you want.. and she really knows what a dressage prospect is. Best of luck to you in your search!

FlashGordon
Dec. 30, 2007, 02:58 PM
There is an OTTB in MD listed on the giveaways... I think he needs some maintenance but he's awfully cute... go take a look at his photos. :)

Sabovee I love your horses, Toby is gorgeous!

EqT I am so sorry to hear about your buddy Cookie. :(