PDA

View Full Version : Leave for PPE or get vetted here?



IrishKharma
Dec. 26, 2007, 10:15 AM
Should I let a valuable horse leave for a PPE at the potential buyer's request (at her home- aprox. 2 hrs away) or require she get a vet in this area to vet him?

ToN Farm
Dec. 26, 2007, 10:28 AM
Neither. I think she should pay her vet to come to your facility for the PPE. I can certainly understand why she wouldn't want to use a vet she doesn't know. Neither would I. However, my vet would definitely go 2 hours for a PPE. Of course, I would pay for his time, but if this is a pricey horse, what's and extra thousand for the vet.

Elegante E
Dec. 26, 2007, 10:55 AM
Or if she is only 2 hours away, her vet may know someone he trusts around you. I wouldn't trailer 2 hours for a vetting - unless the person put down a non refundable downpayment/fee and the sales amount was worth the effort for you.

I've vetted horses in other states - used a local in that state and then had that vet confer with my vet. It works out pretty well. That's what I'd suggest to the buyer.

SillyHorse
Dec. 26, 2007, 11:12 AM
I agree with the above posters, and would never let a horse be trailered that far for a PPE. The buyer's vet can come, or recommend a local vet to do the exam.

clint
Dec. 26, 2007, 11:50 AM
I just sold an expensive (at least to me) horse, and I was comfortable trailering the horse to a large clinic that is about 1.5 hrs. from me for the buyer. The vet is excellent as is the equipment, ie, digital x-rays. I would rather have a PPE done that is very thorough rather than haggle over it, or have a vet that the buyer isn't comfortable do it. However, I would not let the buyer take the horse two hours for a PPE.

Dune
Dec. 26, 2007, 11:56 AM
That does sound a little far away, but where do you live? I mean, are you out in the boonies, or do you have a good selection of equine hospitals around you? Where I'm located, I have 2 equine hospitals and 5 clinics within a 30 minute drive. In my case, it would be unreasonable for someone to take a horse 2 hours out of the area. However, if I lived up in the mountains or out in the desert, it might take an hour just to get to the freeway. So, in general...the request is unreasonable, but there may be a good reason to make the effort if you are in a remote location. I also take into consideration how well the horse travels, if he/she is easy breezy maybe I'd do it but I would sure have them pay a generous hauling fee AND money for my time.:yes:

cyndi
Dec. 26, 2007, 12:07 PM
I hauled a horse I was selling 2+ hours to our vet school to be vetted by an out-of-state buyer. No sweat. I would not have wanted someone ELSE to haul the horse, but I was fine doing it myself.

IrishKharma
Dec. 26, 2007, 12:26 PM
I am nursing a baby and it makes it more difficult to spare my time for someone else, regardless of how much they pay.

So, I should have her vet recommend one in my area, which is not unreasonable. There are 3 other clinics in this vicinity. We already have exrays on him so that helps timewise.

horsetales
Dec. 26, 2007, 12:27 PM
My preference would be at our place as you don't risk something happening in transit. If it was just to their barn, I would ask that their vet come to me where I now the footing and and facility are safe. With digital they can always have their vet review the findings if their vet won't make the trip. And as others said, maybe that vet could recommend someone in your area

Being a high dollar horse, I may haul to a clinic as many of those vets often won't travel and their equipment is normally state of the art.

xQHDQ
Dec. 26, 2007, 05:16 PM
The buyer's vet should be willing to drive out 2 hours to vet at your farm. Yeah, it will cost the buyers extra but if they want their vet, then they should be willing to pay. I don't think a 2 hour drive is all that far.

If not, then they should pay you to trailer the horse; it should be the same cost to them. If they offer to trailer, they need to insure your horse for everything (mortality, major medical, loss of use, the max) for the full purchase price. I still wouldn't want them trailering my horse but it may be another way for them to "test out" the horse - see how it is at their facilty. They may think there is something wrong with the horse if you don't allow them to take it.

IrishKharma
Dec. 26, 2007, 05:36 PM
Ok- I sold a horse a while back on these same terms, and after a few days they decided they didn't want him anymore (buyer's remorse- which was obvious b/c the husband kept saying the horse wasn't worth as much as I asked)

So, as a seller, you have to balance pleasing the potential buyer, and protecting your assets.

I am frustrated- as most sellers get- with finicky buyers. I am tired of being taken advantage of but I do not want to loose a sell to a great home.

carovet
Dec. 26, 2007, 07:32 PM
If a client asked me to do a PPE that was that far out of my practice area I couldn't do it. I cannot afford to be away from my practice for 4 hours of driving plus 1 hour for a prepurchase, and then 20-30 minutes for radiographs.....And there is no way I could charge a client what the actual cost of being away from the practice would cost me -- miles alone doesn't come close to covering my time, my tech's time, and the opportunity cost of not seeing other clients during that time. It would end up being most of a whole day just for one exam.

Then, heaven forbid, I get back to my office and some of the radiographs didn't come out, what then???

As a seller, when I sold my own big $$ horse I wasn't available to haul him to the vet school for the buyer's preferred vet to do his PPE, so they paid my trainer that was selling him to haul him down there (it was about 2.5 hours) -- that was the only way I would allow him to be transported.

They knew ahead that they were not going to be able to try him out or do anything other than the PPE, and that he was coming home right afterwards if there wasn't a cashiers check in the hands of my trainer to bring back.

There was a super board certified surgeon that I trust implicitly about 15 minutes away from the horse, but I fully appreciated that they wanted a vet that they knew and who knew them to do the evaluation.

As a seller it is your own choice to make, but if I was buying a horse I'd feel much much better if it was my own vet whose judgement I trusted and who knew my comfort levels with different situations and my experiences to help me decide if I should purchase a particular horse.

If you lived 8 hours from their vet then I think that would be an unreasonable thing to ask, and 4 hours would probably be too much too in my book.

But I was willing to take the risk associated with the haul -- I took that risk myself all the time and I did have insurance that would cover many (though not all) of the potential risks.

Vet advice here -- if it is more than a short haul, if you can arrange to get the horse out and move it around or turn it out for 20 minutes or more before the actual exam you can avoid some of the post hauling stiffness that might occur. Nothing worse than to try to decide if a bit stiff horse is really stiff or just the result of the long haul.

Either way, good luck!

Classical DQ
Dec. 26, 2007, 07:51 PM
I would not let the horse go. If I could do the hauling myself, say to a vet clinic, I might consider that. I would get the 'buyer' to have her vet recommend someone in your area. Then get that vet to do digital x-rays to send to my vet and have the two vets to discuss the findings. There is too much unnecessary risk to the 'buyer' taking the horse. If you have to do this, then I would definitely make sure that there is insurance to cover any accident that may happen. It can always happen on your own place, but I think that is easier to handle than to have something happen when the horse is out of your control.