PDA

View Full Version : Hooked on Barbaro. .

erinwillow
Dec. 22, 2007, 01:59 PM
Hooked on Barbaro. . .any recent news or pics of his sons??? (or fillies??? but didn't think that he had any as of yet--maybe this Spring??? I LOVED that boy. . . a true "American Hero". . Bless HIm.

Alagirl
Dec. 22, 2007, 02:03 PM
I don't think he got to reproduce.....

so you would be looking for siblings

erinwillow
Dec. 22, 2007, 02:33 PM
Really?? Oh! What a shame! I thought they were talking about collecting him and _______________?? I am NOT in the racing world so wouldn't have a clue. . I just thought I had read an article referring to such. :(

furlong47
Dec. 22, 2007, 02:51 PM
I think you mean his brothers... Nicanor (http://a.abcnews.com/images/US/ap_nicanor_070518_ms.jpg) and a 2007 colt (http://www.post-gazette.com/images4/20070503wAPbarbarobrother_450.jpg) that I believe is still unnamed. And I THINK La Ville Rouge was bred back to Dynaformer for a 2008 foal... not certain on that one though.

To be Jockey Club registered, Thoroughbreds must be conceived by live cover... so they could not have collected from Barbaro to breed after his death for racing purposes.

erinwillow
Dec. 22, 2007, 04:43 PM
I think you mean his brothers... Nicanor (http://a.abcnews.com/images/US/ap_nicanor_070518_ms.jpg) and a 2007 colt (http://www.post-gazette.com/images4/20070503wAPbarbarobrother_450.jpg) that I believe is still unnamed. And I THINK La Ville Rouge was bred back to Dynaformer for a 2008 foal... not certain on that one though.

To be Jockey Club registered, Thoroughbreds must be conceived by live cover... so they could not have collected from Barbaro to breed after his death for racing purposes.

Ahhhhh. . I see. . . however, just to clarify was semen ever collected?? If so, then it will be used for non-racing production or for 1/2 breds??

VirginiaBred
Dec. 22, 2007, 04:47 PM

Sadly, she didn't catch this year............:(

mintano
Dec. 22, 2007, 05:09 PM
Ahhhhh. . I see. . . however, just to clarify was semen ever collected?? If so, then it will be used for non-racing production or for 1/2 breds??

No semen was ever collected in any way from Barbaro.

erinwillow
Dec. 22, 2007, 06:04 PM
No semen was ever collected in any way from Barbaro.
Thank you for clarifying. How do people feel about this in general, as a loss or simply an outcome of nature or hand of fate?? Is there a mixed reaction among TB racing enthusiasts??? And, if this has already been talked to death I VERY much apologize. . .my husband and I were just talking about him the other day. . . good brave boy that he was. .

AppJumpr08
Dec. 23, 2007, 12:37 AM
Honestly? (and please don't flame me or take this the wrong way) as amazing a horse as Barbaro was, as long as his mum and dad are still producing, the bloodlines are still there.. they didn't end with him.. As cool as it would've been to see him sire foals, there are full siblings of Barbaro's that could at somepoint reproduce, and there is (IMO) just as good a chance of producing a Great baby by them as there was of producing a Great baby by Barbaro himself.

He was a Great though.. by God he was. :sadsmile:

Seal Harbor
Dec. 23, 2007, 01:10 AM
Thank you for clarifying. How do people feel about this in general, as a loss or simply an outcome of nature or hand of fate?? Is there a mixed reaction among TB racing enthusiasts??? And, if this has already been talked to death I VERY much apologize. . .my husband and I were just talking about him the other day. . . good brave boy that he was. .

People are not worried about his not being used as a sire, it is more unfortunate that he broke down and lost his life. He did contribute much to the study of laminitis, so he does leave a legacy. His parents are still alive. He has two full brothers on the ground, and a half brother named Man in Havana.

Xctrygirl
Dec. 23, 2007, 07:20 AM
Just as an FYi,

Man in Havana is a gelding now.

~Emily

ElonGrad1997
Dec. 23, 2007, 08:06 AM
Just as an FYi,

Man in Havana is a gelding now.

~Emily

Really? I didn't know that. Matz has him at Fair Hill, right? Did he ever race?

Linny
Dec. 23, 2007, 09:24 AM
Really? I didn't know that. Matz has him at Fair Hill, right? Did he ever race?

He never raced, was gelded (the best thing the Jackson's could do for the breed) and retired. XCntrygirl might know more. He was never going to do his older bro and justice on the track and there was no sense in trying.

Seal Harbor
Dec. 23, 2007, 09:33 AM
thanks so what is he doing now?

erinwillow
Dec. 23, 2007, 09:54 AM
Thanks to all who responded. . . will be fun to watch "the family" grow and compete ;)

grayarabpony
Dec. 23, 2007, 10:03 AM
Looking at Barbaro's parents, it's a little surprising that they produced a horse as incredible as he was -- in other words, he looks to have gotten the very best of both parents.

ASB Stars
Dec. 23, 2007, 10:15 AM
The great ones are more than the sum of their parts- or their parents. The great ones are a synergistic effort of the Gods. Don't look for another Barbaro from his parents, and don't condemn his siblings to comparisons.

I am STILL wearing my bracelet, and this thread made me... :cry:

grayarabpony
Dec. 23, 2007, 10:23 AM
Yes, that is true, but even physically, he was one of those miracles of breeding. He was one of those horses you could look at all day, he was so well put together.

He wasn't here nearly long enough, but I think we all got to see greatness in him.

erinwillow
Dec. 23, 2007, 05:00 PM
Hey guys,

Don't be sad, Barbaro was a gift from above/ / /we ae happy to see him now or his brothers or sisters or whoever, God Speed Him to the absolute greenest pastures

Linny
Dec. 23, 2007, 05:46 PM
thanks so what is he doing now?

Emily is travelling for a few days, and I'm sure she knows. I think that someone from Matz' staff has him or at least had him when he was "retired." Though he's handsome and famous, I think he had some conformation issues that may have precluded a high level career.

Xctrygirl
Dec. 24, 2007, 12:10 PM
Ha ha, the hotel has internet.

Last time I asked Michael he was turned out at Lael with the Jacksons.

He may see a future fox hunting in Pa. That was something I was told by people in the know a while back. I'm not sure though.

Hopefully people will judge him for him. I was fortunate to ride him as much as I did and I think he'd be a great foxhunter.

He has some minor comformation issues that did preclude his race career.

I tried to get him myself, but since the Jacksons are keeping him, I am gonna have to settle for Lad. :)

Havana "Banana" will be fine. He's a neat horse and deserves a life of joy removed from all connections to his half brother. Too many people felt and said "Oh he's not just like him" and that kind of failed expectations frankly pissed me off. So I hope no one ever knows who he is family wise. He deserves to be judged as an individual.

~Emily

Seal Harbor
Dec. 24, 2007, 01:01 PM
I'm glad there is a job in his future. They should all have a job that suits them and makes them happy. I'm also happy that his connections didn't try to make him something he wasn't. I have the utmost respect for the Jacksons and have always had for Michael. All horses should have people who care as much.

Thanks for the information.