PDA

View Full Version : Results of the WorldCup Qualifier at Londen (freestyle to music)

rutgerjan
Dec. 19, 2007, 07:58 AM
The finals (freestyle to music) of the Worldcup Qualifier at London was won by Anky van Grunsven on her horse IPS Salinero.

Anky rode her new freestyle with music from piano-virtuoos Wibi Soejardi.

http://eventcontent.hippoonline.de/285/docs/R_D2.pdf

Cooper
Dec. 19, 2007, 10:17 AM
Thanks Theo, glad to see you back!:yes:

Any chance of a video of Anky's new freestyle?

rutgerjan
Dec. 19, 2007, 10:29 AM
Thanks Theo, glad to see you back!:yes:

Any chance of a video of Anky's new freestyle?

Yes my computer is sweating now to get the best 6 rides over to my provider.

And to tell you a secret the Dutch commentator didn't talk tooooo much during the test :eek:

canyonoak
Dec. 19, 2007, 10:31 AM
Oh ho, are we going to get to hear his comments during KYRA's ride, esp the pirouettes??

hahahahaha

rutgerjan
Dec. 19, 2007, 10:54 AM
Oh ho, are we going to get to hear his comments during KYRA's ride, esp the pirouettes??

hahahahaha

Heh don't forget that this guy (Hans Icebird) has his background in horse-racing, so he is used to comment at 150 Mph. The most funny thing which ever happened was that he started countig the one-tempi flying changes during the freestyle to music 1-2-3....9. Oops she missed 6 flying changes .

But whe are used to it, so we don't mind an have his comment already for years under the ignore button ;)

Ilex
Dec. 19, 2007, 11:13 AM
Wow impressive results for Stephanie Croxford. An amature rider w/a full time job outside of the horse industry. Great article about her in the UK mag Horse.

Equibrit
Dec. 19, 2007, 11:25 AM
http://www.olympiahorseshow.com/

belambi
Dec. 19, 2007, 04:25 PM
ankys freestyle with commentary
http://cgi.nos.nl/cgi/player/?mpurl=http://download.omroep.nl/nos/av/07/12/19/anky.flv&referer=http://www.nos.nl/nosstudiosport/beeld_en_geluid/index.html

XHalt
Dec. 19, 2007, 05:22 PM
Thanks for the link! I have been dying to see the new freestyle.

His Greyness
Dec. 19, 2007, 08:36 PM
....... but nobody was hurt (http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/news/397/170453.html) (from Horse and Hound).

Touchstone Farm
Dec. 19, 2007, 10:48 PM
Who were the judges?

belambi
Dec. 20, 2007, 02:28 AM
E - Mr. A. Gardner (GBR) H - Ms. M. Furuoka (JPN) C - Dr. V. Moritz (GER) M - Mr. S. Clarke (GBR) B - Dr. J.-M. Roudier (FRA)

freestyle2music
Dec. 20, 2007, 09:51 AM
Last night there was an interview and some background shots from after the ride of Anky and Salinero on TV. It was amazing to hear the comments of Sjef and Anky compaired to the comments of the judges.

Sjef made a very nasty statement about the music and the ride of Anky.
To Wibi Soejardi he said "you really have still a lot of work to do or Anky have to learn to ride to the music" .

However the judges were very happy with the ride and made statements like "maybee we have to think about scores of 100%", and "this was the best ride we ever saw" .

Surfing over the net, we found a big variety of viewpoints. But imho this ride at Olympia was far from the best ride of Anky and Salinero. And after the worldwide promotion of the music the final result was a little bit disappointing.
This last thing might have to do with the fact that like Anky's "Bonfire Symphony" also "Devotion of Dance" is a whole new composition/production, and probably we have to get used to it, before we start liking it. This is always the risc you take with building a musicproduction from the ground in stead of using recognisable music.

In stead of killing Anky and Sali, like they do on TOB (ar shall we say the AntiAnky board), I think she really needs some more time to get it on the road.

canyonoak
Dec. 20, 2007, 10:26 AM
One. reading TOB on Anky is basically a waste of time and energy.

Two. IMHO ,Anky should never have done all the pre-PR talking about this kur--there is no way it could live up to the expectations, especially not with the commentary that most of us had to put up with- very distracting.

Three-- this music/choreography is very precise and I think will take a few times out in public before Anky can relax enough to ride with more joy than concentration .

Trying to convey the complex emotions themselves that go into doing the dance with the partner--that is a tall order..and Im guessing everyone eoncerned (except Sal of course, ha ha) expects to peak with this in the future.

FWI*W, I think Sal looks better than ever. More schwung and evenness.

But in this particular ride, it looked often as though Anky was trying to match the choreography instead of letting the musical emotion carry her ride.

I just think the kur is unfinished.

ANd as for Sjef--spoken like a true Dutchman! That's how they all talk when not mugging for the cameras.

Kelly in NJ
Dec. 20, 2007, 11:03 AM
Hi,
I can't get the link to work; and I do have Adobe flash player...Any suggestions? I'd really like to see the video!
Thanks,
Kelly

petitefilly
Dec. 20, 2007, 01:10 PM
Hi,
I can't get the link to work; and I do have Adobe flash player...Any suggestions? I'd really like to see the video!

It did not work for me either. :( You are not alone.

freestyle2music
Dec. 20, 2007, 01:47 PM
These links mostly only stay on-line for one or two days.

In the meantime have a look at this link :

http://www.horsedances.net/MySpacePages/London-OlympiaFreestyletoMusic.html

Please take in consideration that I am still working on it.

Enjoy,

Theo

Kelly in NJ
Dec. 20, 2007, 02:06 PM
I just saw it on Theo's page....Thanks! :)

pophorse
Dec. 20, 2007, 04:46 PM
Personally I thought the new kur was exceptional. This Wibi guy really knows how to match the entire ride choreo and create a cohesive and seamless piece for the entire length of it, which seems to be a big problem for other freestyles that use bits and pieces of sourced music.
Super music, super ride, with a Salinero that was presented in the best frame of mind to date.
If Sjef had some comments I would attribute it to him being a perfectionist.
BTW it's the Canary Islands, not Canarian Islands.....

freestyle2music
Dec. 20, 2007, 07:36 PM
Personally I thought the new kur was exceptional. This Wibi guy really knows how to match the entire ride choreo and create a cohesive and seamless piece for the entire length of it, which seems to be a big problem for other freestyles that use bits and pieces of sourced music.
Super music, super ride, with a Salinero that was presented in the best frame of mind to date.
If Sjef had some comments I would attribute it to him being a perfectionist.
BTW it's the Canary Islands, not Canarian Islands.....

Go over and tell this to the TOB-people :yes:

canyonoak
Dec. 20, 2007, 09:01 PM
Thanks for the new link, Theo!

Watched all 6 kurs...and without the distracting commentary, REALLY enjoyed Anky's kur.

It has such raw power and complex emotion. And the music equally complex.

I guess one either is moved by it or not. I was moved.

One thing I know--it can be so different sitting ringside watching this live, compared to watching on a screen. A few times, different venues, I watched rides live and then was able to watch them on a screen...and there were places in the kurs where it was difficult to say it was the same ride.

Live, so much more of the energy and emotion often comes through, and little things change one's perception of what the priority points might be.

Hope I get to see this kur live.

Mistral Hojris is...just a great horse. Truly exceptional. All the wow factor. Hope he learns to settle into and stay focused in the work.

Great to see Carl Hester forging a new partnership with a truly lovely horse, Dolendo. Hester is such an elegant and yet solid rider, makes it a pleasure to watch him at work.

OK, those were my faves<g>

Is there any video of Premier/Aat van Essen anywhere?

megc
Dec. 20, 2007, 11:31 PM
i thought it was the most relaxed i've ever seen salinero and i also thought it was the best ride i've ever seen of theirs, disregarding the music (and not that i've seen too many). i did like the music but wasn't blown away by it.

Edited to add: i agree its a waste of time to read any threads about Anky on tob.

atr
Dec. 21, 2007, 12:52 AM
I loved Kyra K's ride, too. Fabulous.

Thanks for putting these up, Theo.

I get quite homesick watching Olympia. It's the essence of Christmas in England for me... Magical venue for a spectator, but I suspect a nightmare for the rider :)

dwblover
Dec. 21, 2007, 02:47 AM
Wow, I watched Anky's kur with the commentary the first time, and thought it was okay. Then I watched it again without the commentary and thought it was excellent. I am really not a huge Anky fan, but she looked wonderful. Salinero looked so graceful and quiet. Not the usual bundle of nerves I'm used to seeing. I think it was beautiful.

freestyle2music
Dec. 21, 2007, 08:11 AM
Thanks for the new link, Theo!

Watched all 6 kurs...and without the distracting commentary, REALLY enjoyed Anky's kur.

It has such raw power and complex emotion. And the music equally complex.

I guess one either is moved by it or not. I was moved.

One thing I know--it can be so different sitting ringside watching this live, compared to watching on a screen. A few times, different venues, I watched rides live and then was able to watch them on a screen...and there were places in the kurs where it was difficult to say it was the same ride.

Live, so much more of the energy and emotion often comes through, and little things change one's perception of what the priority points might be.

Hope I get to see this kur live.

Mistral Hojris is...just a great horse. Truly exceptional. All the wow factor. Hope he learns to settle into and stay focused in the work.

Great to see Carl Hester forging a new partnership with a truly lovely horse, Dolendo. Hester is such an elegant and yet solid rider, makes it a pleasure to watch him at work.

OK, those were my faves<g>

Is there any video of Premier/Aat van Essen anywhere?

Your wish is my command

http://www.horsedances.net/MySpacePages/IndoorFriesland2007GrandPrix.html

Edited to add : Aat van Essen is a self supporting rider, No sponsor and No trainer !

Carl, as always, hated to ride a freestyle and used the music I made 10 years ago for Escapado, but a new musicproduction is on his way.

Loved the music of Laura Bechtolsheimer : However there were tooo many changes in the orchestration. From Wind to Synthesizer to Symphonic etc..

KyraK finaly has music which suits her remarkably well, and it worked out very well for her and Max, and the pieces were very well glued together this time.

canyonoak
Dec. 21, 2007, 09:21 AM
<<Is there any video of Premier/Aat van Essen anywhere?[/QUOTE]

Your wish is my command

http://www.horsedances.net/MySpacePa...GrandPrix.html

Edited to add : Aat van Essen is a self supporting rider, No sponsor and No trainer !

Carl, as always, hated to ride a freestyle and used the music I made 10 years ago for Escapado, but a new musicproduction is on his way.

.>>

Theo-- you da bomb!

hmm.

Aat van Essen very impressive...the walk, obviously, is not getting better. Hats off to him for deciding that he could live with that and work on everything else! Was Premier originally offered as a driving horse? I'll bet that walk made his price unbelievably attractive to someone who is actually paying for everything himself! No trainer???? No one even is eye on the ground at a big event? So how did he learn Grand Prix, just from 'watching' !!!!???

Thank heavens you are making new music for Carl-- he NEEDS new music for this new horse!

egontoast
Dec. 21, 2007, 09:27 AM
it's a lot to ask, I know, but would it be possible to see a dial up friendly version of Anky's Kur? pleeeeeze/?

Canyonoak, are you no longer in the dial up crowd? Lucky you. We can't even get high speed here in the boonies YET.

freestyle2music
Dec. 21, 2007, 09:58 AM
<<Is there any video of Premier/Aat van Essen anywhere?

Your wish is my command

http://www.horsedances.net/MySpacePa...GrandPrix.html

.>>

Theo-- you da bomb!

hmm.

Aat van Essen very impressive...the walk, obviously, is not getting better. Hats off to him for deciding that he could live with that and work on everything else! Was Premier originally offered as a driving horse? I'll bet that walk made his price unbelievably attractive to someone who is actually paying for everything himself! No trainer???? No one even is eye on the ground at a big event? So how did he learn Grand Prix, just from 'watching' !!!!???

Thank heavens you are making new music for Carl-- he NEEDS new music for this new horse![/QUOTE]

See... Oaki there is still a very good chance for you, specially now you have broadband available. But as stated before come over to our place and you can train every day with one (or more) of the best trainers. And you can earn a very good income by selling hot green pie soup to the people who are iceskating in front of our door. ;)

Where is that picture-insert button ?

freestyle2music
Dec. 21, 2007, 10:14 AM
it's a lot to ask, I know, but would it be possible to see a dial up friendly version of Anky's Kur? pleeeeeze/?

Canyonoak, are you no longer in the dial up crowd? Lucky you. We can't even get high speed here in the boonies YET.

All clips on my website which are on VEOH TV can be downloaded to your computer. Try out the home-delivery function and you are up ad running.

When this doesn't work I can send you a download link !

Theo

Ilex
Dec. 21, 2007, 10:42 AM
Anyone know why Dolendo is turned back over to Carl Hester. Spencer Wilton has been doing a fantastic job with him the last couple of years. Did Carl take him back because he does not have a upper level horse at the moment. Or is Carl & Spencer no longer togeather? Inquiring minds want to know.

Ilex
Dec. 21, 2007, 10:44 AM
I watched the Anky kur ...... I must say the horse looked wonderful, relaxed not ready to freak out at any moment. I LOVED the music. Once the get the Choreo/timing figured out it will really be sensational.

freestyle2music
Dec. 21, 2007, 01:37 PM

For the people who still are suffering from the dial-up era :

You can download all six rides at the following link :
In placing order :

www.horsedances.net/London01.wmv
www.horsedances.net/London02.wmv
www.horsedances.net/London03.wmv
www.horsedances.net/London04.wmv
www.horsedances.net/London05.wmv
www.horsedances.net/London06.wmv

Right click on the corresponding links and choose "save target as"

Please report broken links !

Theo

dressage72
Dec. 21, 2007, 05:05 PM
Just watched all the videos! Theo, you are the BEST thank you!

I loved Anky and Salinero! The music isn't quite what I thought it was going to be, but it's so much better then her old "la la la la laaaaaaa" stuff! What I was REALLY impressed with was the degree of difficulty! At the end the zig zag passage half pass to piaffe. :eek: AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Simply pefect! And I have to agree that Salinero looks to be in a really good place mentally!

Kyra's was VERY well done and I have to say her music was my FAVORITE! Her entrance music was great, I thought throughout the whole ride "WHAT FUN!" The few negatives if I could be picky was the tempis were not wonderful. Definitely far from straight.........that hind end was shifting left and right like a truck, and his piaffe could have been a little more active. BUT her freestyle was SO SO SO enjoyable!!!!!!!

freestyle2music
Dec. 21, 2007, 05:18 PM
Just watched all the videos! Theo, you are the BEST thank you!

I loved Anky and Salinero! The music isn't quite what I thought it was going to be, but it's so much better then her old "la la la la laaaaaaa" stuff! What I was REALLY impressed with was the degree of difficulty! At the end the zig zag passage half pass to piaffe. :eek: AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Simply pefect! And I have to agree that Salinero looks to be in a really good place mentally!

Kyra's was VERY well done and I have to say her music was my FAVORITE! Her entrance music was great, I thought throughout the whole ride "WHAT FUN!" The few negatives if I could be picky was the tempis were not wonderful. Definitely far from straight.........that hind end was shifting left and right like a truck, and his piaffe could have been a little more active. BUT her freestyle was SO SO SO enjoyable!!!!!!!

If you aren't a judge the USDF/USET ? should go after you !

You are 100% right

The music is from the old film version of Moulin Rouge !
(if you are ever in Paris visit the Moulin Rouge and combine it with a dinner at Rasputin)

Theo

dressage72
Dec. 21, 2007, 05:27 PM
If you aren't a judge the USDF/USET ? should go after you !

Nope, not a judge.......but are you implying I should be? Wink, wink! ;)

Sigh, now if I could only ride like that! :D

Thanks again Theo!

Thomas_1
Dec. 21, 2007, 05:40 PM
I think you mean London don't you?

egontoast
Dec. 21, 2007, 06:05 PM
Thanks Theo. It took 2 hours for my computer to load one ride :eek: but I appreciated seeing it.

freestyle2music
Dec. 21, 2007, 06:18 PM
I think you mean London don't you?

London in English

Londen in Dutch

Thomas_1
Dec. 21, 2007, 06:32 PM
Or if you're George Bush then London is the capital of Europe! duhhhh :winkgrin:

Lgd1
Dec. 21, 2007, 06:37 PM
Anyone know why Dolendo is turned back over to Carl Hester. Spencer Wilton has been doing a fantastic job with him the last couple of years. Did Carl take him back because he does not have a upper level horse at the moment. Or is Carl & Spencer no longer togeather? Inquiring minds want to know.

Carl & Spencer have split up. Dolendo is jointly owned by Carl and Ann Corey. Given the circumstances of the split Ann was adamant that the horse was staying with Carl.

Carl has another ride, Lecantos, but he has been injured. Think he still has Pro-Set as well who is heading towards GP.

Sabine
Dec. 22, 2007, 03:04 AM
Theo- have I told you how happy I am that you're back??

I LOVED the Kur- it's the best as far as music and riding- the only problem it has it that it reminds me of russian composers- it has an inherent sadness in the music- that is like the sadness of the far tundras in Russia- but it's also a very mature and knowing music- I love it- it makes me a bit sad and it's captivating to watch...especially how every step of Sal is so spot on with the music- almost eerie...
Did anyone notice that she rides Sal a tad more IFV???
or is it just me ...and my lack of precise vision??

freestyle2music
Dec. 22, 2007, 08:24 AM
Theo- have I told you how happy I am that you're back??

I LOVED the Kur- it's the best as far as music and riding- the only problem it has it that it reminds me of russian composers- it has an inherent sadness in the music- that is like the sadness of the far tundras in Russia- but it's also a very mature and knowing music- I love it- it makes me a bit sad and it's captivating to watch...especially how every step of Sal is so spot on with the music- almost eerie...
Did anyone notice that she rides Sal a tad more IFV???
or is it just me ...and my lack of precise vision??

Sabine, please don't act so modest. I told you before that you have an eagles eye for this. Because in the latest interview with Sjef Janssen he told that he had noticed that the judges of today wanted a little bit more IFV, and he added "that's the advantage of a good horse, a good rider and good training, because we can change that on the spot and don't have to get back to the drawing board again"

canyonoak
Dec. 22, 2007, 08:35 AM
to eggy-- YES! I have high-speed! I had to get satellite--there will never be normal (cheap) DSL in these boonies. It is my gift to myself this year--the gift that keeps on giving! (and taking ,$$igh).

to Sabine-- Yes! there is something powerfully sad about this new kur...I believe Anky wanted somehow to convey that despite the broken leg, despite the danger during her first pregnancy, despite the insults and hysterics, her passion and 'devotion' to her sport compelled her to go on.

Sure--she gets lots of money. And fame.

But I don't really think she needs to compete to have both of those, at this point.

And for sure, now that Sal is 'grown up', he is being ridden (can be ridden) with his shoulders up more, more through, more elevated.

fiona
Dec. 22, 2007, 10:12 AM
the judges of today wanted a little bit more IFV,

that's because it's nice and simple for them to see and explain to the keyboard audience.

freestyle2music
Dec. 22, 2007, 11:25 AM
On request of the dial-up people I have added a page with LowQuality versions and on both pages I have added the behind the scene comments of Sjef, Anky and Wibi.

http://www.horsedances.net/MySpacePages/VideoMyspacePagesSubPageWorlsCupFTM.html

Scroll to the bottom of the page

Enjoy

(comming up all wining rides of Frankfurt with Isabel Werth, Victoria Max Treuer, Monica Theodorescu and the press-conference with all winners, sponsors and judges)

egontoast
Dec. 23, 2007, 06:15 AM
:) Ok I see there is a medium version there.:)

:) Thanks very much. I really appreciate it.:)

freestyle2music
Dec. 23, 2007, 11:37 AM
:) Ok I see there is a medium version there.:)

:) Thanks very much. I really appreciate it.:)

The best way is always to download the .wmv files directly from my website,
because VEOH,YOUTUBE, Dailymotion etc... use a very heavy compression technique which degrade the quality.

Next year I will start some testing with Stage6, who have the highest Quality
because they use Divx as a standard.

fiona
Dec. 23, 2007, 12:56 PM
use a very heavy compression technique which degrade the quality.

How much do you think that distorts the picture in terms of judging the movements? Does that explain why people that were there i.e the judges for example, and saw a good performance differ in opinion from many people that saw the same performance on youtube or similar and disagreed? Can it make the canter look four beat, the walk disjointed etc?

canyonoak
Dec. 23, 2007, 02:24 PM
I don't know what Theo thinks, but I have watched a performance live and then watched it again on excellent quality TV at the event (ie, TV tape made for broadcast, very high quality)...and sometimes, it feels like a different performance.

Because the live eye does not 'see' or perceive in exactly the same frames per second etc that the tape runs at, let alone the emotion/energy of live and what that adds.

Also, the cameras tend to offer different POV, while the eye sees everything from one POV.

Unless you can run around the arena somehow, tracking the performance.

LOL...

fiona
Dec. 23, 2007, 06:23 PM
So is the performance you saw live the valid one or the taped version?

canyonoak
Dec. 23, 2007, 06:42 PM
The live performance HAS to count as the valid one because that is the one the judges are watching.

The judges eyes watch from fixed position, in real time, with the same prejudices/preconceptions/ experience and knowledge that any other set of eyes will use.

IMHO.

<g>

freestyle2music
Dec. 24, 2007, 12:34 PM
I don't know what Theo thinks, but I have watched a performance live and then watched it again on excellent quality TV at the event (ie, TV tape made for broadcast, very high quality)...and sometimes, it feels like a different performance.

Because the live eye does not 'see' or perceive in exactly the same frames per second etc that the tape runs at, let alone the emotion/energy of live and what that adds.

Also, the cameras tend to offer different POV, while the eye sees everything from one POV.

Unless you can run around the arena somehow, tracking the performance.

LOL...

I agree and disagree. Because when I attend dressage competitions it's mostly for my own horses, cliƫnts, friends or family. And this makes me so nervous that I basicly don't see anything because I tend to be busy with lighting three cigarettes at the same time :lol:;):yes: So I mostly see the complete ride for the first time on video or TV. But when it comes down to riders I don't have any connection with I prefer LIVE, because it's completely different.

And just to be honest I don't have the skills that many posters on BB's have, because it seems that they can judge a whole ride on only one photo or picture.:confused:

mtngirl
Dec. 24, 2007, 08:57 PM
Overall, I'm impressed. A little heavy in spots, but I like Anky's new music.
I think she just needs to work out a few minor kinks...and seeing how it's a new Kur, I thought it went very well. I think it's a keeper.

Always thought the music used for Paganini (Lord of the Dance I believe, or Riverdance one...blast my memory) could be used in a Kur...never thought of passage and piaffe though. Love it!:D