PDA

View Full Version : Dressage today cover... bridle

JRG
Dec. 18, 2007, 09:32 PM
Anyone see the bridle on the cover? love it. Anyone know who makes it?

Elegante E
Dec. 18, 2007, 09:38 PM
Had that same thought! Would like to find out too.

Eventrgrl
Dec. 18, 2007, 09:41 PM
OMG, i saw it tonight and i thought geez that looks like a comfortable bridle.

im in the market for a new one but it looks way out of my price range :lol:

JRG
Dec. 19, 2007, 08:41 AM
Someone has to know someone that knows the maker of this bridle. Now I am curious. Yes, I too thought it looked expensive. I don't mind paying for quality, it burns me to pay for crap.

canyonoak
Dec. 19, 2007, 11:44 AM
Which issue?

coz I usually get DT almost a month after everyone else.

sniff.

<g>

can you post a photo??

Mozart
Dec. 19, 2007, 12:51 PM
Is it the issue with Courtney King on the cover? Funny, I was admiring that bridle too!

FLeckenAwesome
Dec. 19, 2007, 03:15 PM
oooh me too!!! course i just bought a new one, but.... still. it did look just so soft and comfy!
that's hilarious that we all thought the same thing!

GreekDressageQueen
Dec. 19, 2007, 03:28 PM
I saw it too, but I didn't think it looked any different than a Passier, Schumacher, Royal Oak or other TOTL bridle. The only major difference is the solid black flat browband coupled with the slightly raised black/white padded crank caveson with a removable flash. The pieces are more interesting put together than the actual bridle itself IMO.

Halt At X
Dec. 19, 2007, 04:08 PM
Is the OP referring to the Jan 08 issue? I just got it today. It's a flash bridle but it's made differently. Instead of the flash being attached with a loop sewn onto the noseband, it runs through a slit in the center of the noseband instead. It appears to maybe have a crank noseband? And it's a comfort cavesson- with the wider band underneath- closer to the horses poll vs the skinnier leather piece underneath and the wider piece on top. Is that about as clear as mud??

Elegante E
Dec. 19, 2007, 04:25 PM
Is the OP referring to the Jan 08 issue? I just got it today. It's a flash bridle but it's made differently. Instead of the flash being attached with a loop sewn onto the noseband, it runs through a slit in the center of the noseband instead. It appears to maybe have a crank noseband? And it's a comfort cavesson- with the wider band underneath- closer to the horses poll vs the skinnier leather piece underneath and the wider piece on top. Is that about as clear as mud??

Pretty dang clear. LOL. The noseband widens in the center some too, giving it a bit of flare. It definitely isn't the standard design.

Eventrgrl
Dec. 19, 2007, 04:53 PM

Thats the one! Jan 08. The cover is just a portrait shot of a horse's head, hense why you can see the parts of the bridle so clearly.

JRG
Dec. 19, 2007, 09:55 PM
Yup, Jan 08 is the one. Still no sleuths around for us?

NCB
Dec. 19, 2007, 11:40 PM
I own a tack store, and we thought we were on top of the newest and coolest stuff....but we have no idea what that bridle is! We loved it too, and you can bet we'll be scouring the wholesale tradeshows next month to figure out what it is and how we can get them in the store!

see u at x
Dec. 20, 2007, 02:20 AM
It is 1:16 in the morning, and I just got home from work and saw my copy of Dressage Today and decided to recheck this thread now that I know what you are all raving about. Now that I have more info, I decided to just go to the source - the owner of the horse and bridle in question, Kelly McGinn. I just rattled off an email to her, so hopefully, she will respond. As soon as I hear from her, I will let you all know, unless someone else has beaten me to it. :lol: Which around here, nothing would surprise me!

kelwin
Dec. 20, 2007, 08:49 AM
Hi Everyone,

I am the owner of the horse (and bridle) on the cover of the Jan 08 issue of Dressage Today. I don't usually post on here... so this is new to me.

I got that bridle over 5 years ago in Germany, it was a little hole in the wall tack shop and I fished through many bridles and found it and really loved the design! I have looked over and over to find another one (I bought it originally for my other horse) and have not been able to find another. There is no name on the bridle, so I cannot refer to that.
If this helps anyone... Jan Hulsebos of Hulsebos Saddles was at our barn in Oct. and one of the ladies that has always loved it (it does have a cult following!) showed it to him and he is making her one like it. I am sure if you contact him, he would be able to make one like it as well.

Hope this helps!

Kelly

P.S. I only paid about 150.00 euros for it!!

dressage72
Dec. 20, 2007, 10:09 AM
For all of us that have not seen it or are dying to see it could somebody post a pic?

Thanks! :)

see u at x
Dec. 20, 2007, 11:09 AM
Check out Kelly's website for the picture at: http://www.kellymcginn.com/index.html

Thank you for the info Kelly! :)

Dressage Art
Dec. 20, 2007, 04:07 PM
I have to say that you have to LOVE the web and BBs!!! So much info, so fast, photos and connecting with people all over the world in a blink! Lovely bridle Kelly! Now may be somebody from Germany will post with place where to buy it?

flshgordon
Dec. 20, 2007, 04:24 PM
I think the best part about this bridle is if you take the flash off, it probably still looks fine as opposed to the little flash loop that hangs off the bottom. Great idea!

Eventrgrl
Dec. 20, 2007, 04:46 PM
If this helps anyone... Jan Hulsebos of Hulsebos Saddles was at our barn in Oct. and one of the ladies that has always loved it (it does have a cult following!) showed it to him and he is making her one like it. I am sure if you contact him, he would be able to make one like it as well.

Thanks! I love hulsebos, i have a hulsebos dressage saddle. hmm, it only seems right to get a bridle to match :lol:

kelwin
Dec. 20, 2007, 06:56 PM
I have a Hulsebos saddle as well (its in the pics inside the magazine). Its the best saddle I have ever ridden in! I just ordered one for the 4yr old, so he gets his very own now and won't have to use his big brothers!

I like this forum posting thing... very fun to be in touch with so many people!!

Kelly

Elegante E
Dec. 20, 2007, 08:10 PM
Haha. Figures that such a thing of beauty is a one of a kind. LOL.

Thanks for the info, Kelly!

Evalee Hunter
Dec. 20, 2007, 08:50 PM
Those of you who live in this area can get strap goods custom made (for example, a bridle that is identical to the one pictured & is custom sized to your horse) at Bartville Harness. They do beautiful work, so beautiful that I know trainers in England who custom order from Bartville because the leather is better & the work of finer quality than what they can buy in Britain.

JRG
Dec. 21, 2007, 07:18 AM
Very cool, Kelwin. Thank you for the info. This is one of the reasons I love the internet, thanks all.

TeddyRocks
Dec. 21, 2007, 05:53 PM
I think the best part about this bridle is if you take the flash off, it probably still looks fine as opposed to the little flash loop that hangs off the bottom. Great idea!

Which is my issue right now, because last Christmas my hubby got me a very nice dressage bridle, and my guy goes so much better without the flash, so when I finally decided not to use one, we now deal with the little loopy thing.

WOULD LOVE to get this bridle. So pretty!

Portia
Dec. 21, 2007, 06:02 PM
Not just a pretty bridle, but a very pretty head it's on too!

But yeah, I too love the shape of that noseband and the way the flash is attached. :)

FleetwoodStarr
Dec. 21, 2007, 08:07 PM
TeddyRocks- you can usually take cavesons to the local boot/shoe repair person and have them remove the flash thingy. I have had them removed a few times and they manage to do it without hurting the bridle:)

TeddyRocks
Dec. 22, 2007, 01:48 AM
TeddyRocks- you can usually take cavesons to the local boot/shoe repair person and have them remove the flash thingy. I have had them removed a few times and they manage to do it without hurting the bridle:)

Thanks... I have wondered about that... I'll have to check into it, as it is easier to find a flash noseband than the opposite...

Rival
Jan. 8, 2008, 10:50 AM
Thanks Kelly! I'm actually going to be seeing Jan (or at least one of his family members) in a couple of days. I am definately going to enquire about making the bridle.

stevekamph
Jan. 9, 2008, 04:16 PM
I noticed the bridle when the magazine came. I can have it made for anyone interested. I hope I am allowed to say that.

Solero
Jan. 10, 2008, 04:38 AM
I'm pretty sure it could be Eric Thomas bridle. One lady in our barn has exactly such a bridle as on the DT cover, only in havanna. It does not have any brand stamps on it, but since our tack shop range of bridles is rather limited, I suspect it could be Eric Thomas bridle. This one looks similar, but is not the exactly same one.
http://www.padd-horsetack.com/riding_shop_Z00102.htm?mode=detail&pic=1&cat=30&page=6

kelwin
Feb. 1, 2008, 06:44 PM
I found a company that is making the bridles if anyone is interested.... I am sending them my bridle as a reference. Many options and custom sizes will be available. It will be made of top quality english leather.

mailto:info@newportridingsupply.com

E-mail if you are interested!

Blueskidoo
Oct. 3, 2008, 06:39 PM
I bought it at www.newportridingsupply.com and it is awesome!

thatmoody
Oct. 4, 2008, 07:09 AM
I hate to be this nosy, but about how much did you pay? My trainer needs a new bridle and it might be nice for the barn to chip in :).

Blueskidoo
Oct. 4, 2008, 06:28 PM
I wrote a whole thread about the experience here http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=169318

but the bridle is just lovely, and the leather is sooooo nice.

It would make a super gift for your trainer.

STF
Oct. 6, 2008, 04:10 PM

Yeah, I agree too. It would not have that little loopie thingie there for the flash. Very fancy bridle. I want one too.
:lol: