PDA

View Full Version : What is your eventing pet-peeve??

JRey
Dec. 18, 2007, 07:27 AM
I thought this could be fun!

I can't stand tiny children that are ungrateful about their ponies.... I saw a little kid hop off the adorable and well behaved pony and said "I Hate my pony, I don't want him. I want a new one!!!!" I guess ever since then it's bugged me.

I also can't stand fitted-style saddle pads, or those saddle pads with all of the leopard skin/bumblebees/lion king prints on them... don't ask, I just can't do them!

:lol:

PIP
Dec. 18, 2007, 07:39 AM
I thought this could be fun!

I can't stand tiny children that are ungrateful about their ponies.... I saw a little kid hop off the adorable and well behaved pony and said "I Hate my pony, I don't want him. I want a new one!!!!" I guess ever since then it's bugged me.

Hell....I've seen some adults do that.....now THAT bugs me :)

gabriellemg
Dec. 18, 2007, 09:13 AM
Yes, I hate when I hear kids yelling and hitting their horses out of frustration and yelling at other people around them, and the parents and trainers do nothing about it.

I also can not stand those who are rude to volunteers and never thank them, and of course never volunteer for anything to help others. It is especially irksome to yell at a volunteer who might have made a mistake but is doing the best they can.

Many seem to forget that most events and horse organizations can not function without volunteers.

GG
Texas

saje
Dec. 18, 2007, 11:02 AM
"Shriekers" over fences. I'm not talking about the occasional growl or those that have a running dialogue going (those can be pretty funny :) ), I mean the people you can hear 3 fields away yelling go go go go giiiIIIIIT on a rising, shrieking note at Every. Single. Fence.

Drives me nuts, and I can only imaging the :rolleyes: :sigh: :eek: :sigh: of the poor horse.

Kcisawesome
Dec. 18, 2007, 11:25 AM
Those who propose to sell their horse at every show. And those who take lessons in the warm-up rings and expect everyone else to clear for them.

toeknee
Dec. 18, 2007, 11:35 AM
Those who propose to sell their horse at every show. And those who take lessons in the warm-up rings and expect everyone else to clear for them. I second that Kcisawesome!!:lol:

Also to add-curly manes(as mentioned in other posts!) and dirty/untidy horses in the ring

Avra
Dec. 18, 2007, 11:48 AM
Those who put colored tape on EVERYTHING. If you really have to tape your boots so that they'll stay on at BN, maybe you need new boots. If you don't need to tape them, don't. I saw someone this year who had wrapped the top of her horse's tail with colored vet wrap--it looked like she was taking it to be bred or something.

Those who jump 89,000 fences in warmup, then do stadium, then jump 89,000 more fences before xc, even though the ground is like concrete and it's 90 degrees. ENOUGH.

Those whose trainers lower/ raise the warmup jumps when there are a dozen other people who are not their students and who would like to jump them, and don't have a ground person to put them back, and so have to warm up over 18 in fences. I mean, I understand people have bad days and everything, but this happened to me every time this year. If you need the fences changed, wait until everyone else is done.

horsecents
Dec. 18, 2007, 11:52 AM
Bright colors with everything matching (helmet cover, shirt, breeches, saddle pad, protective boots, bell boots). It's tolerable with little kids but not with adults. Sometimes you can't see the horse and rider because of the blinding colors!

Jazzy Lady
Dec. 18, 2007, 11:56 AM
Armbands on LEGS!!!!! That is my biggest pet peeve ever. I can't stand it!

When I tack check half the time I can't find the darn thing, and if they fell off and couldn't have their leg moved they'd be toast. PLUS it breaks up the line of the leg really badly and stands out worse on the leg than the arm.

phew... that felt better.

Another pet-peeve is people who do things on someone else's schedule instead of their own. Who think because "so and so" is going prelim, well they should be able to too, and then spreads that advice to others!!!

OOOH, and when BNT's do things that normal people wouldn't be allowed to do. And people don't care because "so and so bnt" were the one's who did it, so no harm.

KBG Eventer
Dec. 18, 2007, 12:03 PM
I used to say I don't like when people wear neon colored EVERYTHING, but I have come to the conclusion that is their horse, their money, and their business. If I am being blinded by someone in warm up, I just look away. It's not hurting me, and especially if their good riders I don't really care anymore. :) You only live once. I wore a pompom for a year at BN with my hony (I was 13/14 but look 11/12 anyways :lol:), and my colors are purple, pink, and white. I have cut down a good bit on all the pink and purple and now it is more like purple and black since I am 15 and thought I was getting a bit old for it. I also don't mind tape on boots although I do agree it looks kind of bad on everything . Like stated above though, it may look verrryyy ugly and distract from the horse too, but it is their horse and money, JMHO.

What I don't like is when people's horses are not clean and shiny with maintained manes and tails. I understand ponies or horses with super thick manes that stick up all over the place because my hony's mane is like that even when pulled, but you can tell when it has actually been brushed and is clean/healthy. Also, nice and neat looking people with well fitted jackets, helmets, etc. and clean tack. Although I suppose you could apply what I said about colors to my pet peeve.

tommygirl
Dec. 18, 2007, 12:07 PM
riders that are not prepared for their level and/or over-horsed. very scary in warm-up to watch!

Jazzy Lady
Dec. 18, 2007, 12:08 PM
oooh... non shiny boots!

I have too many pet peeves...

LisaB
Dec. 18, 2007, 12:13 PM
Adults wearing cutesy blingy or neon crap out there. I'm not talking about like Sharon White with her orange. Bright colors are fine. But seems some of the stuff I've seen is made like crap, looks like crap, and looks like you're poking fun at the sport. Kids, go for it.
Yellers
smackers and yankers
Parents in the middle of warmup or in the middle of my x-c jump
loose dogs
crying
leaving horse in dirty stall entire weekend
putting your crap in my space

Hearing Denny's voice in my head,'Don't be a wart on his back!':cool:

GreekDressageQueen
Dec. 18, 2007, 12:15 PM
1. Random people/friends who "give advice" and tell you what to do during warm-up. Hello? Are you my trainer? Shut-up please ;)

2. Poor turnout: Try to give your horse a bath and put some Vetrolin or something to make him shine. Braiding isn't required, but you can trim the mane. Clean your tack. :yes:

3. People who don't keep their area in front of a stall clean and tidy or who don't muck out their horses' stall frequently. :no:

4. Stop complaining and move on. Let it go. Your dressage test was crappy but so was 75% of everyone else. :lol:

I used to groom for a GP rider so I guess some of my anal tendencies harken back to olden days. But I still think eventing is the BEST and MOST FRIENDLY of the riding sports and LOVE IT! I just wish I was younger and less broken ... It's costs too much time and money to put me back together! :)

inquisitive
Dec. 18, 2007, 12:23 PM
And those who take lessons in the warm-up rings and expect everyone else to clear for them.

Ugh... same goes for people who don't watch where they're going!

Worst experience was in warm-up where this girl was... getting a lesson. Which wouldn't be totally bad if she really needed the help but try and do it early or out of people's way! The trainer kept having her circle right before and after the jumps and she just kept running into everyone. I finally stood to the side until she left. :rolleyes:

snoopy
Dec. 18, 2007, 12:28 PM
the lesson in the warm up really bugs me.

I appologize to my canadian friends...and I see this the most with adults up there....

All the colour going XC...I understand this can be fun but seriously over done sometimes.

And my big thing is not getting off...no matter the level...after XC. I have seen so many caught up in the excitement just sitting on there horses. Give them a break, hop off, loosen the girth/noseband.

Jazzy Lady
Dec. 18, 2007, 12:32 PM
And my big thing is not getting off...no matter the level...after XC. I have seen so many caught up in the excitement just sitting on there horses. Give them a break, hop off, loosen the girth/noseband.

ugh... but keep the noseband buckled. I hate seeing people undo their figure eights and let them flap around almost hitting their horse's in the eye. If you want to undo it, wrap it around the cheek piece so it isn't flapping!!

hey101
Dec. 18, 2007, 12:35 PM
I am with KBG eventer- the neon-blingy thing used to bug me too, but I guess I'm (slowly) mellowing with age. They aren't hurting anyone, so who cares? I'm sure my boring conservative get-up bugs them too.

I guess the only thing that really bugs me any more is rude/ inconsiderate people, whether it's some amped-up horse show mom yelling at a volunteer, or some bratty kid yanking on their horses' mouth, or some eventing diva whose ill-trained dog is running amok all over the show grounds.

snoopy
Dec. 18, 2007, 12:35 PM
ugh... but keep the noseband buckled. I hate seeing people undo their figure eights and let them flap around almost hitting their horse's in the eye. If you want to undo it, wrap it around the cheek piece so it isn't flapping!!

YUP..agreed. LOOSTEN.

snoopy
Dec. 18, 2007, 12:37 PM
some eventing diva whose ill-trained dog is running amok all over the show grounds.

:sadsmile:guilty as charged.
But a really great way of building your collection of brushes, wraps, spurs, crops, etc. My rascal of a jack russell is quite the little clepto. When he escapes I have been known to leave a note on the board about his little habit and that if one is missing something it is probably in my trailer!!!

HT Mom
Dec. 18, 2007, 12:39 PM
As someone who volunteers a lot as the warm-up steward for show jumping (and sometimes dressage) I really hate riders who use the time in the warm-up for a lesson. If you need to do more than 10 jumps to be warmed-up then maybe you are not ready for this level.

Having just typed this, I do realize that in some cases for the young/junior riders, it is their trainer who feels they need so many jumps. Not sure why the trainer feels they need to do a lesson before a SJ round or dressage test.

I also hate the trainers who sit on the side a "yell" their instructions across the entire warm-up area. This makes the others in the warm-up area stop listening and makes it a lot harder to get their attention when it is their time to do their SJ round.

Another one is the trainer who gets made and "yells" at us volunteers because they can't keep track of when their rider goes and does not like the fact that we say they need to go do their round now. My team lets the riders know when there are are 5 trips away, and then 4 trips away, and then ..... We try to make eye contact, but some trainers are too busy working their students we can't do that. Then the trainers get upset when we force their riders to go. Please note that if a volunteer is being forceful at getting a rider into the ring, it is generally because the judge is wanting this to happen. If the judge is okay to have 2-3 minutes between rounds, then the volunteers will not force you into the ring too early.

With regard to arm bands. In the US arm bands are to be on the upper-arm only. Not wearing them there is a referral to the TD and a possible elimination.

seeuatx
Dec. 18, 2007, 12:41 PM
I have a couple of pet-peeves

1. Teen/tween rider where *everything* on their horse is bright pink...and their horse is bay....ewww. It is even worse when it is an adult. I'm all for color fun on x-country...but it can go overboard. :eek:

2. What happened to polo shirts under your vest? I know I've been gone for a few years, but I went to a horse trial this summer to watch and half the people had either tank tops or very short sleeves under their vest (there was one person with nothing but a sports bra top on underneath <shudder>). :confused:

3. Which lead to the armband on the leg....because it rubs/itches the arm <insert whiney voice>...well then, *wear sleeves* :lol:

4. And due to my sabbatical into the world of circles and lateral work, and watching the kids in the area I live in..... "seesawing" your hands is not how we bring a horse "onto the bit". :no:

KBG Eventer
Dec. 18, 2007, 12:53 PM
I have a couple of pet-peeves

1. Teen/tween rider where *everything* on their horse is bright pink...and their horse is bay....ewww. It is even worse when it is an adult. I'm all for color fun on x-country...but it can go overboard. :eek:

2. What happened to polo shirts under your vest? I know I've been gone for a few years, but I went to a horse trial this summer to watch and half the people had either tank tops or very short sleeves under their vest (there was one person with nothing but a sports bra top on underneath <shudder>). :confused:

3. Which lead to the armband on the leg....because it rubs/itches the arm <insert whiney voice>...well then, *wear sleeves* :lol:

4. And due to my sabbatical into the world of circles and lateral work, and watching the kids in the area I live in..... "seesawing" your hands is not how we bring a horse "onto the bit". :no:

That is interesting about the tank tops because that is against the rules! A couple of years ago my friend got eliminated for wearing cap sleeves on cross country. I wonder why no one got in trouble there?

myboyludy
Dec. 18, 2007, 12:53 PM
My pet peeves are:

1. people who jump fences in warm up to get it right. today is not that day. If you couldnt jump 3'6 before today you arent going to now.

2. The running into people in warm up thing. You horse isnt more important than mine and you arent going to throw off his groove, you just pissing me off.

3. People who run pel-mel at the fences because hey they cant stop then...right?

4. this one is a big pet peeve and i havent seen it since. I was watching a girl do her dressage test and she was obviously mad at her pony so she enters at A. halts and halls off and kicks her pony as hard as she can with her spurs and said pony bucks big and dumps kid in ring. Kid proceeds to lay lifeless on ground in ring. pony is running through other rings and finally jumps into show jumping. EMTs are called. Kid gets up delared she hates pony and doenst even go to find him. We had to ask around as to who he belongs to. He was totally cute and hadnt done anything wrong. AHHHHHH!

Thats about it... thanks i feel better now.

Oh wait.. thought of one more.

When someone fall off(mostly me) and you can see that they are okay and having everyone and their grandmother ask you if you are okay or what happened? Obviously Im ok i got back on and finished Im just really pissed. so kindly... LEAVE me ALONE!! HAHA

Camstock
Dec. 18, 2007, 12:56 PM
Oh. Yes. Seeuatx, the seesawing is the only thing that will make me actually grind my teeth and veins pop out of my head. My husband actually grabs my hand when he sees it, so that I do not go up to the rider, pull them off the poor horse, stomple them and say something very rude. Good husband, thank you.

Only other pet peeve is when I get up very early to arrive at the beautiful, quiet show grounds to do morning chores and enjoy the peace while I listen to the horses and mentally prepare. It is lovely. When the first teenager with the really bad taste in music shares her Itunes with the world, the peace shatters. Grrrr.

seeuatx
Dec. 18, 2007, 12:57 PM
That is interesting about the tank tops because that is against the rules! A couple of years ago my friend got eliminated for wearing cap sleeves on cross country. I wonder why no one got in trouble there?

That is interesting... I did not know it was against the rule, though I'm glad that it is. I do think the one lady was told to change. But I've seen the pics of xcountry and one of the riders that I personally know whose cap sleeves barely came over her shoulder. Now I'm trying to remember which HT it was, I know where it was held...trying to remember if it was recognized or a "mini trial".

saje
Dec. 18, 2007, 01:04 PM
I've seen the sleeveless look at schooling shows, but it is indeed a no-no at a rated event.

I'm really not bugged by much that other people do, so long as they are civil. I can ignore the wild colors, messy stall areas, and endless jumping; after all I probably do stuff that bugs the snot out of people. (And to whoever is bugged by non-shiny boots, I send you an apology because I *don't* like super shiney boots. I like mine clean and with a nice matte finish - a dull gleam as it were :p)

I can deal with just about anything at an event because 90% of the time people are friendly and helpful and will apologize for their unruly dog/child/horse, and at least attempt to fix the problem. I DID get irritated with the show-neighbor who didn't let me know that her horse couldn't have his door closed and would be hanging out over his (single, covered chain, and very droopy) stall guard all weekend until AFTER he'd trashed my stall front set-up. :mad: At least he didn't chew on my tack, but he did make one helluva mess. And no, no apology. Idjit.

gr8fulrider
Dec. 18, 2007, 01:42 PM
My damned job. It's tough to get to all of those fun events and train really well for them when I have to do something else to pay my bills.

I don't care what people wear or put on their horses as long as it doesn't compromise the horse's comfort. If you are putting in the time and $$ to compete your horse, then you're entitled to wear whatever's legal and doesn't get in your horse's way.

One thing that does bug me-- people who look down in dressage warmup and expect you to steer clear of them if you want to avoid a crash. Look up!! There is nothing interesting about the pommel of your saddle. Look at it later, when you're not sharing a 2"x2" warmup area with me.

c_expresso
Dec. 18, 2007, 01:48 PM
Dirty horses and riders

People who run their horses into the ground

AND MOST OF ALL:

Eventers that think they are the ONLY people that can ride, everyone else [especially hunters] suck.

eqsiu
Dec. 18, 2007, 01:52 PM
You know, I don't care what colors you use, or how much of it. However, if you choose green, make sure all of your stuff is the SAME SHADE of green. Don't ride with a hunter vest, lime SMBs, and a kelly green saddle pad. Dude, paint everything neon green if you have to, as long as all the green is neon green.

That said, you should also not ride in a red/navy vest, purple saddle pad, leopard helmet cover, pink rubber reins, and hunter green boots. Coordinating colors are the name of the game. I think stick to three (with one of those being black or white) or fewer.

Most of my other pet peeves come from my pony club background. We were aces at winning horse management at rallies, and I think your horse should be that well cared for. Keep the stall clean, the water full, and your equipment neatly organized. Though I don't really care if your stuff is perfectly clean (aka metal mirroresque, no dandruff in the mane). If tack looks clean from 10 feet, it's clean enough. If your horse is well groomed, it's clean enough.

rileyt
Dec. 18, 2007, 01:59 PM
AND MOST OF ALL:

Eventers that think they are the ONLY people that can ride, everyone else [especially hunters] suck.

What? hunters can ride? When did this happen? I don't think I got that memo. Did anyone get the memo? :D

Xctrygirl
Dec. 18, 2007, 02:03 PM
A few:

* Not hearing "thank you for volunteering" from more riders. Be it after dressage, start of xc, or at stadium, or even while walking the xc. You SHOULD thank people who are allowing you to compete.

*The Ms. Snooty riders: Hand off horse to groom, socialize rather than give horse quality time, and blame everyone but themselves when a refusal, rail, dressage mistake or God forbid, elimination happen

* Sore losers- Stuff happens. Go back to square one, figure it out, train at home for a bit and re-emerge when you are prepared. Not the next event you're entered for. Do right by yourself and the horse

* Trainers who are yellers showing that trait all over the warm ups. Hey guys, some of us still are haunted by previous yelling, could ya knock it down a bit when we're all guests at an event site???

I totally agree with the Eventer supremacy theory!!!

If we're so good, let me see y'all take your BN horse and do a nice hunter 3' round and get a ribbon. It's hard as hell. And the hunters aren't all mediocre riders. They just are good at what they do. (Which isn't what we do) No fault, just different.

~Emily

Catalina
Dec. 18, 2007, 02:07 PM
Lessons in the warm-up :mad: :mad: :mad:.

I was at an unrecognized last spring with my mare. It was her first time out. EVER. So I was trying to stay away from people in the dressage warm-up and trying not to get in anybody's way as she threw her "OMG, what is going on" tantrums. The warm-up area was quite small and narrow, so it was dificult, but possible to avoid the other riders. Until not one, but two mini lessons sprung up on both ends of the area. One had two people in it and the other had seven. Yes, seven people going around and around in a circle in the tiny warm-up area. It was impossible to get away from them, so the rest of our warm-up consisted of me fuming and trying to defry my mare's brain as I walked around the trailer area. I swear, if I had a machine gun.... ;) Just plain rude.

Rabbit351w
Dec. 18, 2007, 02:10 PM
forget loose dogs, i can't stand yapping/barking dogs left tied unattended to the trailer. If your dog will lay quietly in the shade enjoying the day outside, by all means, bring him to the event, if your dog can't stand for you to be away for 30 seconds, and will bark his fool head off as soon as you head to dressage/xc/stadium/for a snack/to the bathroom please leave him at home:yes:

sunhawk
Dec. 18, 2007, 02:20 PM
forget loose dogs, i can't stand yapping/barking dogs left tied unattended to the trailer. If your dog will lay quietly in the shade enjoying the day outside, by all means, bring him to the event, if your dog can't stand for you to be away for 30 seconds, and will bark his fool head off as soon as you head to dressage/xc/stadium/for a snack/to the bathroom please leave him at home:yes:

I'll second that one, and add, that just because everyone there loves horses, doesn't automatically make them love your dog. I'm not a dog person, and nothing annoys me as much as trying to sleep, and listening to someones dog bark it's head off.
My other peeve, people that stay out late, being loud when people are trying to sleep.

quietann
Dec. 18, 2007, 02:22 PM
1. Overmounted riders. Too scary.
2. "Show moms" who criticize the dressage judge, the event staff, the course designer.... everything but their Precious Darling Daughter, who often falls into one of two categories:
a. as over-entitled and whiny as mom
b. embarrassed by mom's behavior and just wanting to get away from her and have a good time
3. Anyone who openly makes fun of another rider/horse. Especially a problem with teenage girls. At GH I there was a chubby girl on a grey part-Arab pony, cute as a button but a little too much horse for her (and dressed all in pink!) Other girls, taller and thinner with big expensive WBs, were mocking her horse and being really mean to her, especially after she got dumped on X/C.
4. As a parking volunteer: it is NOT MY FAULT that your X/C round is in 20 minutes and you just showed up with your gigantic rig. And I really didn't appreciate it when you parked it in the very crowded spectator area and blocked an entire lane, forcing people to drive their cars around you and onto the side of a muddy hill, and then yelled at me when I asked you to move it. (Some of this I chalk up to competition nerves. But still...) This was also at GH I, sigh...

ideayoda
Dec. 18, 2007, 02:24 PM
Overflexion in the dressage arena, and riders who sit the entire course xcountry.

gr8fulrider
Dec. 18, 2007, 02:44 PM
A few:

* Not hearing "thank you for volunteering" from more riders. Be it after dressage, start of xc, or at stadium, or even while walking the xc. You SHOULD thank people who are allowing you to compete.

*The Ms. Snooty riders: Hand off horse to groom, socialize rather than give horse quality time, and blame everyone but themselves when a refusal, rail, dressage mistake or God forbid, elimination happen

* Sore losers- Stuff happens. Go back to square one, figure it out, train at home for a bit and re-emerge when you are prepared. Not the next event you're entered for. Do right by yourself and the horse

* Trainers who are yellers showing that trait all over the warm ups. Hey guys, some of us still are haunted by previous yelling, could ya knock it down a bit when we're all guests at an event site???

I totally agree with the Eventer supremacy theory!!!

If we're so good, let me see y'all take your BN horse and do a nice hunter 3' round and get a ribbon. It's hard as hell. And the hunters aren't all mediocre riders. They just are good at what they do. (Which isn't what we do) No fault, just different.

~Emily

But see, this is why I LOVE eventing:

--The volunteers are wonderful, and I know I'm not alone in thanking them sincerely and often. I see others do it too.
--Although there are snooty riders, I'm thrilled to be on parole from the dressage born where any non-WB was considered barely a step above dog food.
--I haven't seen almost any sore losers, and I think it's because you can't really blame "politics" or "breed bias" for the mud all over your a$$ and the associated penalty points. :D
--As one who is still haunted by previous yelling (in German, which I don't even speak!!!!!!!!!!!), it's nice to have a chill, funny, laid back trainer who is not interested in making me feel like crap.

Not to be all kumbaya or anything, but I'm so impressed with event riders, and happy to be trying this sport. Sure, there are prima donnas everywhere in the horse world (and everywhere at all, for that matter), but mud and gravity are great equalizers, and even as a former DQ and former, former equitation princess, I'm most impressed by eventers, who do everything, usually with a smile, and usually on a horse they made themselves.

eqsiu
Dec. 18, 2007, 02:46 PM
riders who sit the entire course xcountry.

I can't even imagine trying to sit a gallop! A few strides before a fence, maybe, but damn, two-point is so much easier.

Fallbrook
Dec. 18, 2007, 03:07 PM
Just a few things-

Complaining about dressage scores. A walk, trot and canter without bucking does not earn you a score of 30 or less. Also - schooling show judges who don't seem to understand this either.

Trainers/riders/instructors who think the solution to every problem is a more expensive horse.

Over-bitting and under-training.

Mean and unfriendly people, gossips and whiners.

runfastjumphigh
Dec. 18, 2007, 03:11 PM
After 40 years of competing in Horse Shows/Events/Dressage shows etc..these are my biggest pet peeves that seem to happen at most competitions. I am not including the infrequent bad behaviors of competitors that should top most people's lists.

1. Instructors who stand in the warm-up oblivious to all but their own students. They may stand on the outside, or next to the jump.

2. When stabling, people who set their whole tackroom up outside their stall, partially obstructing the aisle, then complain when a neighbor's horse knocks their stuff down.

3. I don't take my horse to dog shows, don't bring your dog to horse shows!
If you must, keep it on a leash and out of the stabling and riding areas.

This is sort of cathartic isn't it!?!

cindylouwho
Dec. 18, 2007, 03:26 PM
I have a small dog and bring it to horse shows. I must 2nd or 3rd or 4th, a barking dog. It drives me crazy. My dog does not bark nor does she leave her truck unless on a leash. I don't understand why you would bring your dog if they are unhappy being there.

NMK
Dec. 18, 2007, 03:32 PM
#1 Pet Peeve--those that show up late to feed their horses at events. To the point that I ask everyone stabled by me if they want me to feed for them in the morning so I don't have to look at sad faces.

melodiousaphony
Dec. 18, 2007, 04:36 PM
People who don't give their horse a nice pat or SOMETHING after XC.

I was jump judging last year for Training level and the end of the course was visible from my fence. It AMAZED me the people that didn't give their horse a nice pat or _something_. I don't mean you need to shower your horse with praise and scream how good they are, but perhaps a nice pat, rub on the neck, something. Don't just hop off and hand them off to someone else, etc.

This especially peeves me when a horse *may* have messed up (such as refusing, pausing, etc.) because of bad riding, but then tries his/her heart out the rest of the course. Don't blame it on your horse!

magnolia73
Dec. 18, 2007, 05:00 PM
I volunteer- and when it is easy to thank a volunteer, it seems like people take the opportunity to. I don't expect a thank you if I'm jump judging or scribing. Focus on your ride!

Most people at events are really nice. I think my main peeve are people who are overfaced. It's very painful to see people have 8 really bad jumps in stadium or no control on XC. There is nothing wrong with showing a level or two below what you school. It really hurts the sport's reputation to have dangerous riding. Play a level lower and look good doing it. I cringe when I see a rider getting left and grabbing the horses mouth....fence after fence. It also scares me when people fly around the ring with no control. I know its not hunters, that the rounds needn't be lovely. But they should have balance and control.

CiegoStar
Dec. 18, 2007, 05:40 PM
In the ring by myself I'm fine. It's that waking nightmare known as the warmup ring.

1. People who call a jump in warmup from a country mile away, and expect no one to jump it in the meantime while they mosey on over.

2. People who halt in the warmup on or near the rail.

3. Scary overfaced people taking huge flyers in ankle-deep mud in the warmup.

Makes. Me. Crazy.

LookinSouth
Dec. 18, 2007, 05:41 PM

I agree. When I was the dressage warm up steward at an event I was mortified how many riders (kids AND adults) were employing the totally ineffective "see sawing" technique.

~ Dirty, skinny or generally unkept horses

~ Unmatching or dirty tack, clothing and equipment. Doesn't have to be fancy or expensive to simply match, be clean and look polished.

~ Hair flying all about not kept neatly in a hair net or at the very least a bun.

#1- Riders at the Elementary and BN level who ride stadium like they are competing in barrel racing over fences . No need for speed at that level. Focus on precision and pace. (and then they wonder why they keep knocking rails down :no:)

quietann
Dec. 18, 2007, 05:51 PM
Could someone define "Seesawing" for me?

Also, would people find it annoying if the rider said "Good boy!" after every fence? Trump, the gelding I ride, is much perkier about his jumping when someone is telling him he's good at it. Certain jumps are scary for him because he's partially blind, and I swear sometimes he goes ahead just because he knows he'll be praised for it. His owner has a loud voice and it certainly can be heard by others when she's riding him...

eqsiu
Dec. 18, 2007, 05:58 PM
Could someone define "Seesawing" for me?

Pulling the bit back and forth in the horse's mouth to get the nose tucked in.

luise
Dec. 18, 2007, 06:08 PM
I can't stand dogs at events, leashed, and definitely unleashed. I leave my dog at home. I really can't stand the people who bring their big rottweiler/lab/other big slobbery dog who then comes running up to my horse. um, please keep your dog at home. and those are always the same dogs who get in fights with other dogs at events.

v22955
Dec. 18, 2007, 06:09 PM
Is it petty to not like big loopy hunter braids? I just can't stand them!

FrittSkritt
Dec. 18, 2007, 06:25 PM
A few:

I think I got thanked maybe 5 times by competitors this entire season - and I volunteered probably 8 or more days. BNT and BNRs are the worst sort, there are maybe one or two that have thanked me but the rest don't even make eye contact. :mad:

Horseless1
Dec. 18, 2007, 06:46 PM
1. My biggest pet peeve is WARM UP. There's one event I don't want to go back to because the dressage warm up is so horrendous. If there are four rings for dressage, how come they insist on giving you a sloped, narrow piece of furrowed corn field (with dried stalks!) to warm up in. I'm amazed anyone has a good test there!

2. Warm up again. haha This time it's about riders. When I show up to the warm up I look for an area no one else is riding in and do my work there to stay out of anyone's way. Invariably I end up with two or more riders cutting me off on their circle lesons with trainers. It gets so hard to ride I end up moving - ARG.

3. Warm up again - people who clog the dressage warm up on horses that aren't even competing that hour/day, etc.

4. Warm up again. When someone almost runs into me in warm up my brain automatically has me saying sorry to the other person even if it's not my fault. I don't think I've ever gotten a "sorry" back, just nasty looks.

5. Warm up - this time jumping. People who are done warming up and hang out along the rail with friends making the warm up area half the size. This year I saw someone bring their horse down to xc warm up in a halter and let it graze IN WARM UP on the rail while their friend warmed up. Ugh

6. Officials who think you don't know the rules and treat you poorly because they've never heard of you and you're riding novice.

7. Horses that get fantastic dressage scores because they look like they're on the bit but really their head is set falsely and their back is hollowed out.

8. In tent stabling when the person next to you sits around all day with six friends blocking the whole aisle, you've been tacking up for 30 mins and they don't move at all when you're ready to leave. So annoying. No one likes the tiny tent aisles, but have some courtesy!

Whew. I feel much better. Haha.

c_expresso
Dec. 18, 2007, 06:48 PM
What? hunters can ride? When did this happen? I don't think I got that memo. Did anyone get the memo? :D
Of course they can't ride! They all buy million dollar machines, they never leave the ring, and they go SO slow. And they don't even know how to brush a horse... their groom does everything for them all the time :yes:
:D:D

----

I also agree with whoever said people who sit the whole XC course... and another huge pet peeve of mine is...

DOING THAT DANG DRESSAGE TEST :lol:

luise
Dec. 18, 2007, 07:11 PM
7. Horses that get fantastic dressage scores because they look like they're on the bit but really their head is set falsely and their back is hollowed out.

haha! I think I know this horse, right?

bornfreenowexpensive
Dec. 18, 2007, 07:11 PM
Actully...one of my pet peeves are people that always say dogs should be left home from events!

I think well behaved dogs are fine...and I want my dog with me on long drives and when staying in motels for the little bit of extra protection they offer.

I don't like to see over mounted kids or spoiled kids....or spoiled adults for that matter....or people that think they are more important then eveyone else (guess that is the same thing)

Not enough porta potties...or ones that are out of paper!

otherwise....I not much bugs me.

cheval80
Dec. 18, 2007, 07:24 PM
All NEW eventers should read this post. At least they'll know what not to do at an event!

Mine is trainers who aren't nice to their grooms or working students.

GotSpots
Dec. 18, 2007, 07:34 PM
My pet peeves?

People who snicker or roll their eyes when my far too generous equine saves my undeserving self from whatever ridiculous position I have put him in.

Snide comments when a rookie is having their first go around an XC course punctuated by lots of "Whoopees" and "Good Boy!"s.

Glares and horrid looks when I've accidentally cut across someone's path in warm up because the steering wasn't exactly factory installed.

Whispers from the rail as I'm tug-tug-tugging down to the massive chip at the first fence in stadium.

And anyone who looks at whatever much to be pitied animal that drew the short straw and is stuck with me on his back that day and says "Gee, I hadn't realized he was so small."

asterix
Dec. 18, 2007, 07:41 PM
Whispers from the rail as I'm tug-tug-tugging down to the massive chip at the first fence in stadium.

You mean they're whispering at me??? This is my patented move -- I try it anywhere I can!

Sorry, just had to break in there. It hurts to know I am being mocked-- before this I was blissfully ignorant.

WindWillowStable
Dec. 18, 2007, 07:48 PM
My pet peeve is people who think they own the warm up ring...I actually had a lady ask me to leave the warm up with my paint horse because her horse was scared of paints.....I was like "excuse me, I didn't realize horses could be racist :lol:" The thing is her horse is very experienced....he wasn't scared of my horse, she was just having a freak out moment and wanted to blame it on something.

scubed
Dec. 18, 2007, 07:54 PM
this is actually hard. I think most people are really great and as a volunteer, I get lots of thanks from most riders and trainers. Oooh, wait, I have one. Also a warm-up thing. When I'm riding a youngster, who has decided this would be a good moment to be psycho pony, on a 10 meter circle in the most remote corner of the warm up I can find - trying to get him to remember that he really can pay attention to the aids and people just come wandering through that 10 meter circle at a walk, on a loose rein, paying no attention to the fact that my horse is leaping sideways. It's not that I feel I have any particular right to that space, it's that I worry that I'm going to be responsible for killing someone :o

octavian_jazz
Dec. 18, 2007, 07:58 PM
Spoiled people that have their parents/friends do everything for them without even a thank you. I was at an event this year and my neighbor was a spoiled brat. Her mom was grooming and tacking up the horse, she asked her daughter what side she wanted the number on and got a response of, "ON THE left !" I only hope she saw the ugly look I sent her. It was ridiculous. I had to leave because I was just about ready to say something. Turns out her mom had her own horse to be tacking up, too. :mad:

Horses that paw their stalls. Especially when you're somewhere with the metal like doors (example: VHT) where with every paw it makes that terrible sound.

People who want to get revenge in the warm up ring. It's immature and dangerous. I accidentally cut someone off one time and apologized immediately. About 5 minutes later, I'm going across the diagnol at a lengthened trot when they cut right in front of me (there was plenty of room, it was not accidental). I didn't stop. My horse was bigger, I figured she'd get the message. I now sound hypocritical, but I wasn't really going to run into her, I just wasn't going to play the game.

Trainers that manipulate the warm up jumps. It's okay to adjust it a little bit, but when they stand over there and constantly change the fence it's annoying! Especially if they put it way down. Other people are trying to warm up, too! Then they send you an ugly look when you jump "their fence"...even if their student is on the other side of the ring!

As for the color thing, my pet peeve is everyone else who goes XC in hot pink. It's mine. I started doing it before it was so "cool". In my opinion I do it tastefully though. The only neon is the duct tape around our black Woof boots, otherwise I wear a pink polo shirt, black vest, and white sleeves underneath if it's cold, with black/beige pants. His saddle pad has subtle pink piping, I put on the pink stirrup pads and carry a pink crop. I think it goes well with his color.

c_expresso
Dec. 18, 2007, 08:13 PM
Horses that paw their stalls. Especially when you're somewhere with the metal like doors (example: VHT) where with every paw it makes that terrible sound.

People who want to get revenge in the warm up ring. It's immature and dangerous. I accidentally cut someone off one time and apologized immediately. About 5 minutes later, I'm going across the diagnol at a lengthened trot when they cut right in front of me (there was plenty of room, it was not accidental). I didn't stop. My horse was bigger, I figured she'd get the message. I now sound hypocritical, but I wasn't really going to run into her, I just wasn't going to play the game.

Trainers that manipulate the warm up jumps. It's okay to adjust it a little bit, but when they stand over there and constantly change the fence it's annoying! Especially if they put it way down. Other people are trying to warm up, too! Then they send you an ugly look when you jump "their fence"...even if their student is on the other side of the ring!

As for the color thing, my pet peeve is everyone else who goes XC in hot pink. It's mine. I started doing it before it was so "cool". In my opinion I do it tastefully though. The only neon is the duct tape around our black Woof boots, otherwise I wear a pink polo shirt, black vest, and white sleeves underneath if it's cold, with black/beige pants. His saddle pad has subtle pink piping, I put on the pink stirrup pads and carry a pink crop. I think it goes well with his color.

My god: my best friend's pony bangs on the stall doors at the horse center, and he taught my old horse to do it :mad:

Once at a jumper show I also accidentally ALMOST cut a girl off, and then EVERY time I passed her she gave me the death glare.

At jumper shows the trainers REALLY screw with the fences... ie: putting them all up to 4' (before a level 1 class?) or moving them so they are all in a grid. Of course they never fix them either. At events it isn't so bad.

I love my pink... even if I copied you :winkgrin::cool:

bornfreenowexpensive
Dec. 18, 2007, 08:15 PM
My pet peeve is people who think they own the warm up ring...I actually had a lady ask me to leave the warm up with my paint horse because her horse was scared of paints.....I was like "excuse me, I didn't realize horses could be racist :lol:" The thing is her horse is very experienced....he wasn't scared of my horse, she was just having a freak out moment and wanted to blame it on something.

LOL....one of my mares IS scared of most paint horses....I LOVE it when one is the warm up just to torture her racist self! Only paint she has not been afraid of was a stallion....little hussy. There is one on the farm she is at now and I mentioned her fear to one of the guys that works there and he said "Now that makes sense why she has run him over and freaked out walking by the field (the one with the paint in it)!"

TexasTB
Dec. 18, 2007, 08:17 PM
1. People that are rude in warm up. It's a small area, and there's probably about 15 horses. Sure, someone is probably going to accidentally cut you off. I don't need to hear the snide comments under your breath at me when i happen to pass you on the "wrong" side or enter part of "your" circle. I've had a lady yell at me before b/c she was on some 30 meter circle and i trotted through one end of it while she was on the other side. Seriously, lady? Cool it and go back to the hunter ring.

2. People that don't pay attention in warm up. Again, its a small area with 15+ horses. When I call "Heads Up" or "Outside", please don't look at me like I'm speaking chinese. I've been in warm ups before where I literally trotted 2 circles and then my trainer told me to walk the rest of the time and do my dressage test without warm up. There were literally like 3 collisions within a 5 minute period, and the warm up was filled with little kids on their way-to-big-for-them horses trotting around mindlessly and practically galloping down the long side:no:.

3. People not getting off their horses after XC. I saw a girl in novice at a HT last month finish XC, then sit around on her pony while she socialized with her friends in warm up. Quit being so selfish and go take care of your steaming, sweaty pony.

Alright, now I feel better:yes:

GreekDressageQueen
Dec. 18, 2007, 08:31 PM
Oh - I remembered one more thing - excessive drinking and loud talking after hours. I don't remember this happening in other places where I lived, but these Texans sure do love their margaritas! It's really hard to relax and go to sleep when the trailer next to you is whooping and hollering after polishing off an entire margarita machine! Now, I am not a prude (Heck I used to be a bartender!) but I am usually exhausted by the end of the day and just want to sleep and relax. Getting drunk is not my idea of putting my best foot forward at a competition I dropped $400 for. :o

zakattack
Dec. 18, 2007, 09:07 PM
When I call "Heads Up" or "Outside", please don't look at me like I'm speaking chinese.

ohh in warm up rings i hate it when people call "outside", only to go to your inside immediately afterwards. know what your talking about, please

GreystoneKC
Dec. 18, 2007, 09:08 PM
- People who talk LOUDLY their entire XC course!!! "Gooooooooood booooooy!!!! Wow! Awesome!!! Wheeeeeee!!!! Gooooooooood booooooy!!!
- DIRTY scuzzy horses and/or riders. I'm sorry, I'm from the land of priss. I just can't roll that way.
- Everything in HOT PINK! You're blinding your horse.
- People at a level they should in no way in hell be at, which leads me to....
- People who yank and pull and kick their way around XC or stadium and cannot find a distance to save their soul!!!
- DOGS!
- Kids who can't ride in a schooling area. I don't care nearly as much about someone getting a lesson as the ones who a.) can't steer, b.) don't listen to or call "heads up", c.) cut me off!
- People who don't look where they're going in dressage warmup. Just because my little pony doesn't look "dressagy" doesn't mean that you're so much better than me that you can just do your freaking leg yields OVER ME!!! Find your own space!

I don't know that I can think of any more.... lol

eventing addict
Dec. 18, 2007, 10:35 PM
Ooooh, my pet peeves...

ungrateful riders, adults or children!

riders that are rude to volunteers!

and last but not least...bad turnout! Please respect yourself and our sport enough to fasten your hair back, brush your horse, and clean your tack!!:mad:

melodiousaphony
Dec. 18, 2007, 10:48 PM
3. People not getting off their horses after XC. I saw a girl in novice at a HT last month finish XC, then sit around on her pony while she socialized with her friends in warm up. Quit being so selfish and go take care of your steaming, sweaty pony.

Feeling guilty because I do walk my horse back to where ever I'm going from on top of him after XC. Trust me, I'd really rather get off the poor guy, run up the stirrups, and walk him by hand. I try not to really SIT on him on the walk back, but it's really safer for most people involved that I not walk him back when he's still pumped from XC.

I tried to walk him back after stadium at one event while jazz was playing over the loud speakers. He was fine, but then trumpets worked there way into the music, at which point he went BONKERS. Trumpets ended, he was fine, trumpets started again, I had to yell to clear people out of his way because I don't want to be the a$$**** that knocks people over with a lunatic horse without fair warning. That situation confirmed my "I'd rather be on his back" mentality. [Why do I feel safer on top then next to him?]

Point being, I'm sick of feeling like people are judging me for riding him back. I don't stop and chat, I head straight back to the stabling area or trailer, hop off as soon as I'm clear of commotion, and untack/hose/etc. But I feel like people think I'm abusing him when, honestly, I'm just trying to be safe. Maybe I'll get people to bring me a shank/halter to walk him back in IF I have help (not always the case) BUT I don't like having that many straps involved when leading a rambunctious horse, all the more to get tangled in if he gets loose.

So keep that in mind: some people walking back mounted might have a reason (though I agree, stopping and chatting just isn't acceptable).

Dr. Doolittle
Dec. 18, 2007, 11:00 PM
I agree with most of these, and want to add one :p

Riders who GALLOP around and around the jumping warmups, OVER and OVER again....

ARGH! :mad:

Really. follks---the HT is NOT the place to put a "fitness gallop" on your horse! Criminy, if your horse isn't prepared for the task at hand without you feeling the need to "send it around the warmup area at Warp speed" (and we are talking the lower levels, here ;)), then perhaps it's time to go back to the "preparation drawing board"...:rolleyes:

And I'm *not* taling about "adjustability exercises" (shortening and lengthening the stride at canter in order to get your horse listening and in front of the leg--which I do myself, and have all my LL students do as well), I'm talking about "Nascar laps" at full gallop.

C"Mon, folks! :(

My Drama Queen of a mare becomes *very* worried when she gets anywhere NEAR "hysterical out of control seeming horse/rider combinations" in warmup--it blows her mind, and makes it difficult for me to get her "re-focused" on the job at hand--which is why I usually warm up by myself in some out of the way corner. However, even if I were riding a completely blase' packer, I would find it distracting, and borderline dangerous. My students are prepared for the HT by the time they get there (if not, then they are probably NOT ready to compete!) A few trots and canters around in both directions, some transitions and "adjustability drills" (and 4 or 5 jumping efforts; a few more if there are specific issues to address)--should be MORE than enough prep for either X-country OR stadium! Sheesh!

GotSpots
Dec. 18, 2007, 11:14 PM
You mean they're whispering at me??? This is my patented move -- I try it anywhere I can!

Sorry, just had to break in there. It hurts to know I am being mocked-- before this I was blissfully ignorant. Welcome to my world, sister. I've got so much priority on your "patented move" I'd litigate it six ways from Sunday. Heck, I usually can't see a distance unless I beat it with a stick. You can tell I'm the one having that particular equitation catastrophe by the crowd's collective gasps before each jump, and whatever coach I've managed to bribe sufficiently to pretend to know me muttering various profanities and prayers under their breath, of which "Poor dumb saint of a horse" is the only thing discernible.

I find, however, that if you can terrify the railbirds sufficiently, you'll silence the whispers. You may get a few requests for divine intervention (ala "Holy bleep") but in general, I figure if it's your day to be that guy, you might as well embrace it fully.

KBG Eventer
Dec. 18, 2007, 11:32 PM

I haven't had that problem with my Paint who is 15.2, but when I rode my little 13.2 pinto colored pony I couldn't believe how many horses spooked at him. I don't know if he gave off evil vibes or something, but I found it pretty funny. I feel sort of bad saying this because it wasn't fun for the other person but...

One time I was at a show and put one of those sleazy hoods (black with bright pink and green patterning) on my pony. Some girl came speed walking around the corner and almost walked right into me grazing my pony. The horse already looked like a bit of a handful (chain accross his nose), and he just stood stunned and stared at my pony. Then promptly freaked out, reared, and dragged the girl back to the other side of the barn.

retreadeventer
Dec. 18, 2007, 11:59 PM
Mine? Organizers who pretend they aren't making any money! (Hint - they keep putting on events, duh)

Dr. Doolittle
Dec. 19, 2007, 12:19 AM
Yes, but let's HOPE they are at least making a *little* money, considering ALL the work they put in; even with some profit margin, there's scarcely a justification for them to put in the effort as it is! :yes:

(And a big THANK YOU to those who do...and a big :rolleyes: to the competitors who complain about the entry fees!)

lstevenson
Dec. 19, 2007, 12:20 AM
riders who sit the entire course xcountry.

:yes: This is probably my biggest eventing pet peeve! Get off the poor horses' backs! The gallop (even a slow one) is not meant to be sat.

TexasTB
Dec. 19, 2007, 12:47 AM
Feeling guilty because I do walk my horse back to where ever I'm going from on top of him after XC. Trust me, I'd really rather get off the poor guy, run up the stirrups, and walk him by hand. I try not to really SIT on him on the walk back, but it's really safer for most people involved that I not walk him back when he's still pumped from XC.

I tried to walk him back after stadium at one event while jazz was playing over the loud speakers. He was fine, but then trumpets worked there way into the music, at which point he went BONKERS. Trumpets ended, he was fine, trumpets started again, I had to yell to clear people out of his way because I don't want to be the a$$**** that knocks people over with a lunatic horse without fair warning. That situation confirmed my "I'd rather be on his back" mentality. [Why do I feel safer on top then next to him?]

Point being, I'm sick of feeling like people are judging me for riding him back. I don't stop and chat, I head straight back to the stabling area or trailer, hop off as soon as I'm clear of commotion, and untack/hose/etc. But I feel like people think I'm abusing him when, honestly, I'm just trying to be safe. Maybe I'll get people to bring me a shank/halter to walk him back in IF I have help (not always the case) BUT I don't like having that many straps involved when leading a rambunctious horse, all the more to get tangled in if he gets loose.

So keep that in mind: some people walking back mounted might have a reason (though I agree, stopping and chatting just isn't acceptable).

Perfectly understandable:yes:
I've actually done the same a few times with my chestnut TB mare- she was a complete PITA to walk back to the stable after XC;).

What my beef was was with the people that just sit on their standing horses with obviously no intention of taking them back to take care of them any time soon :(

Killian7
Dec. 19, 2007, 01:13 AM
Maybe this doesn't happen much anymore, but I can't stand when people lunge their horse in the warm-up. It shows the same inconsiderate attitude as having a lesson. The warm-up is just that, and is an area that should be limited to only those who will be competing very soon.

I have never had a trainer assist me in the warm-up. That is until I started doing the jumpers at H/J shows. You CANNOT warm-up without a trainer because you need someone in there who can basically monopolize a jump for you. What I always liked about eventing was you've got three jumps - a cross rail, a vertical and an oxer. And WOW, the vertical and oxer are set to the appropriate height of the division running at that time. AND the jumps are flagged to only be jumped one way. Try schooling in the competion ring with 15 other horses at an H/J show. You can jump anything any direction you feel like, and the kids on the ponies do it. Chaos.

pegasusmom
Dec. 19, 2007, 09:22 AM
Mine? Organizers who pretend they aren't making any money! (Hint - they keep putting on events, duh)

Yep, and I am funding my month long vacation to Tahiti on the funds I earned last year from my two events. :lol::lol::lol:

I don't even make minimum wage when it is all said and done and my take-home usually pays for about 1 weekend's worth of traveling to an away horse trial for my son. The days of clearing $20K on an event are long gone. Duh is right. Like Duh, why am I doing this??:lol:

So. . . one of my pet peeves is hearing competitors complain I am making the big bucks on events!

Anyone who abuses my volunteers (especially BNR who are making their livings on the backs of those volunteers) - HT Mom and her crew are the BEST!

Trainers who give lessons in the warm up. At the top of their lungs.

Loose dogs, coupled with dogs who are allowed to mark XC fence decorations. I have to pick up those silk flowers, ya' know!

asterix
Dec. 19, 2007, 10:20 AM
Ah, GotSpots, I'll have to say I am a follower, then, as I don't want to end up in protracted litigation :D
I do, however, have lovely photographic evidence from our first prelim ct -- first fence, "how much of a little ball can a 17.1 h wb curl into after being buried"...last fence "ahhh. thank you. I can jump!"

Sadly, it's gotten to the point where my coaches just say things like "that was not bad, you know, except for that first fence thing"

I am my own pet peeve -- how bad is that!!!

Cody
Dec. 19, 2007, 10:24 AM
One thing that does bug me-- people who look down in dressage warmup and expect you to steer clear of them if you want to avoid a crash. Look up!! There is nothing interesting about the pommel of your saddle. Look at it later, when you're not sharing a 2"x2" warmup area with me.

I agree with Westlaw, but ANY warmup. I'm always looking out for other people and trying to keep the Spot pony away from anyone. He can be a handful and I know it and I don't want anyone to have their horse do something because Spot is being an idiot that day. I have been known to in warmup that if it's crowded and people are going every which way, to jump 2 fences and say let's go for it. I get out of there.

Cody

Invested1
Dec. 19, 2007, 11:07 AM
- People who talk LOUDLY their entire XC course!!! "Gooooooooood booooooy!!!! Wow! Awesome!!! Wheeeeeee!!!! Gooooooooood booooooy!!!

I actually LOVE hearing that--it brings a smile to my face every time! Means the rider is having a great time (that's the whole point, isn't it?) and is appreciating her horse. :yes:

Dr. Doolittle
Dec. 19, 2007, 11:18 AM
Ah, GotSpots, I'll have to say I am a follower, then, as I don't want to end up in protracted litigation :D
I do, however, have lovely photographic evidence from our first prelim ct -- first fence, "how much of a little ball can a 17.1 h wb curl into after being buried"...last fence "ahhh. thank you. I can jump!"

Sadly, it's gotten to the point where my coaches just say things like "that was not bad, you know, except for that first fence thing"

I am my own pet peeve -- how bad is that!!!

Methinks that you (and GotSpots) are *way* too hard on yourselves...:D

I've seen some "scary stuff" out there, and you would NOT qualify to be among those who provide those "scary spectator moments" ;)

purplnurpl
Dec. 19, 2007, 11:36 AM
warm up arenas:
Left to left is fine and dandy but not written in stone. I yeild to lateral work and I expect that from others. Don't know why it's so tough.

Yield upon special request.

Others:

Loud riders, louder coaches You are right over your horses ears, he can hear you.
Though I admit I had to be growly on a course this year. It was embarassing to say the least but needed to be done the first 5 fences. I still feel stupid.

Why call a warm up fence if no one is challenging? When you see a possible problem, call it. Otherwise just shut up and jump damn-it. Yellers freak me out.

My biggest peeve of ALL!
Barn lights left on all night.

most everything else I just ignore. I do my thing and take care of my pony. And I love volunteers. lol.

MissMaryMack
Dec. 19, 2007, 11:58 AM
I recently encountered a new level of obnoxious in the dressage warm up.

I was riding a green pony and he was being such a good boy...until the circus came to town. A trainer showed up with only two kids that threw the rest of our day south. :mad: There was one itty bitty little girl on a roping horse (they told us this fact ringside.) Her feet didn't come past the saddle flaps, she was riding in a pelham with a rein only on the curb, and the ONLY way she could make the horse go was to cluck to walk and cluck louder to trot. So my new little pony thought that I was constantly clucking every stride so I got a wonderful little piaffe several times!! Rider number two was an older lady: very nice but riding with a super long whip that she didn't know how to hold and riding a horse that she couldn't steer. Poor piaffing pony got a whack on the butt from the out of control rider with the whip sticking straight out beside her.

So then, to top it all off- I rode with these two and 3 others in a suitability class just to get some mileage in the ring and they pinned 1st and 2nd!!! (I was riding unjudged b/c I didn't feel like it was fair to be pinned against the kids and I didn't care about a ribbon) but holy cow!!! :eek:

The judge left before I could get back up there to ask why in the world she would pin someone in an illegal bit!!! Sorry...just had to vent!!!

flypony74
Dec. 19, 2007, 01:00 PM
Only other pet peeve is when I get up very early to arrive at the beautiful, quiet show grounds to do morning chores and enjoy the peace while I listen to the horses and mentally prepare. It is lovely. When the first teenager with the really bad taste in music shares her Itunes with the world, the peace shatters. Grrrr.

Oh, I am SO with you on this. I was at an event a few years ago where a young lady stabled nearby had this teeny-bopper crap blaring all weekend. It was my first event in several years, and I was trying to focus and mentally prepare for each phase as they came about, which was very difficult with the music going on. If I want to listen to music at an event, I am going to stick one of my iPod earbuds in my ear, because not everyone likes the same music that I do, and more importantly, it might be disruptive to someone else.

I am also with the folks who can't stand the screamers. I was at an event last fall where, during her Training level stadium round, a young lady was screaming at and charging her horse at every fence. Her leg would dangerously fly back over every fence (you could see it in her pictures!), they would land in a heap, recover, and then repeat. It was scary. The scarier thing is that her parents are supposedly trainers, and I overheard them talking about her Prelim move-up!

And for heaven's sake, when you finish x-c, hop off your horse, run your stirrups up, loosen his girth, and give him lots of pats while walking back to the barn. He just worked hard out there for you!

myboyludy
Dec. 19, 2007, 05:45 PM
Oh.. I thought of one that happens in the dressage and event world and It cracks me up...

Hearing someone talk about their dressasge test and hearing
"The judge gave me..."
NO YOU EARNED IT!
or
"The judge hates my horse"
NO THEY DIDNT LIKE THE WAY IT WAS RIDDEN!

Equestrian_Chick101
Dec. 19, 2007, 10:29 PM
What i peeve the most is how eventers jump.... I have to say 1 out of 10 eventer jump like CRAP! i mean i guess because i was a hunter for 7 years says that i jump like one but standing up in the saddle! the not realeasing. Then when the bar comes down blaming it on the horse. I also dont like those little kids who hate there horses. Now i have to say being a teen now i have had those moments but my horse was bucking me off! i never once said i want i new pony i stuck to the one i had and rode on. So remember:

There is no such thing as perfect. If there was we would all get 0s in Dressage and go clear in SJ and XC

P.S. Camstock and flypony

Yes i have seen the Ijammers as i call them. I dont like them either!!

WindWillowStable
Dec. 19, 2007, 10:43 PM
I actually LOVE hearing that--it brings a smile to my face every time! Means the rider is having a great time (that's the whole point, isn't it?) and is appreciating her horse. :yes:

I agree and by yipping and yelling, you know the rider is actually breathing...lol My belief is whatever works for you is your business. I would rather hear a rider talking their horse and themselves around the course than to see a rider using a crop and spurs at every fence. I used to think riders growling and saying good boy and so on was annoying until I got a horse that absolutely refused to get around a course unless I talked him through it, so my pet peeve quickly turned into something I did on a regular basis -- I told that horse to "get get get" all the way through preliminary level and he was always clean.

Kementari
Dec. 20, 2007, 07:09 AM
People who use the phrase, "It doesn't have to be pretty as long as it's clean!" as a training philosophy... :eek:

(Don't get me wrong: I've said the same thing, coming off a bad, but miraculously clean, stadium round - but as a joke, not as an excuse for poor riding!)

People who DON'T READ THE RULES!!! :mad: Especially people who don't read the rules and then try to pretend they know everything...

I don't mind when people don't thank me when I volunteer. I volunteer for the good of the sport, and to help out the organizers, not for praise. If I demand thanks, then I'm not really volunteering - I'm asking for compensation, even if not monetary. That said, I always try to thank as many volunteers as possible when I'm the competitor. :yes: (And, of course, it's never OK to be nasty to anyone, volunteer or otherwise - it's fine to disagree, but you can do that politely!)

InVA
Dec. 20, 2007, 10:54 AM
- Curly manes!
- gettting a lesson in the warm- up - ugh. if you don't know how to do it 5 minutes before you go into the start box, you ain't gonna learn it in warm up! (...its too late baby yeah, its too late...)
- riders who take care of themselves after xc before they take care of their horse... (i.e. standing around talking while the horse stands there huffing and puffing..)
-when someone forgets to bring carrots... and beer.

StrawberryFields
Dec. 20, 2007, 11:28 AM
mine is little kids that are going novice and hit their pony's shoulder with their crop every.single.stride. before every.single.fence! And they get off saying they want a new pony when there's was very well behaved!!! BUGS ME

beeblebrox
Dec. 20, 2007, 11:44 AM
1. Smart ass junior or senior riders who stand at rail in warm up verbally criticizing people as they ride by for warm up, of course the beauty of it all is knowing how they ride but it is annoying to hear them pick on people.

2. Trainers who give EX students (those that have left their barn) or those for whatever reason they have taken a disliking too standing and giving people the eye. GROW UP and not a BIG surprise why those folks might have left your barn.

3. Those you ask to please not wave the whip when you come by on your greenie OTTB and they are beating the crap out of some dumb blood who won't go forward.

4. People who gallop out of stadium ring, UGH maybe trot out when needed if they are really pushing rounds but PEOPLE if your riding prelim there is NO reason to gallop out of the ring into a standing crowd of riders after you go through timers WHAT THE HELL!!!!

5. Coming into show office and seeing adults and juniors reading through other peoples dressage tests. I came up on 16 something year olds going through a girl they new and laughing hysterically, I wanted to uh er um smack em'... They looked at me and said oh she is a friend (not knowing girls or person they were making fun of) and I asked if I could read their tests too and they scattered!

6. Shavings stealers, every show has someone who takes a bale or two ;-(

7. Idiots who leave hose on and floods stalls or isles

8. Loud sex and curse laden rap music played on ipod players now to be fair to the kids I also did not really want to hear Barry Manillow either from the old lady singing along with it at the last show. BUY some head phones!

LASTLY and i may seem petty and silly but at shows with students and all I am lucky to have time to go to snack bar and when I do having some jack ass let every friend and family member cut in front of the rest of the line as if the res of us had nowhere else to be is annoying ;-)

eqsiu
Dec. 20, 2007, 12:13 PM
8. Loud sex and curse laden rap music played on ipod players now to be fair to the kids I also did not really want to hear Barry Manillow either from the old lady singing along with it at the last show. BUY some head phones!

I am so glad I hotel it. :lol:

Kementari
Dec. 20, 2007, 06:47 PM
LASTLY and i may seem petty and silly but at shows with students and all I am lucky to have time to go to snack bar and when I do having some jack ass let every friend and family member cut in front of the rest of the line as if the res of us had nowhere else to be is annoying ;-)

I was at an event, and my friend was trying to get me lunch before I went to the warm up, and some mother came barging in shoved to the front of the line saying, "I have to get my daughter a hamburger immediately because she's headed to the start box NOW!"

Maybe I'm just the exception, but if you gave me a hamburger seconds before xc in the 100 degree heat (OK, in any temp)...well, suffice it to say that said hamburger wouldn't be likely to remain with me for the entire course! :eek: :eek:

Seriously, though, why do people feel like everyone else should pay for their own poor planning?!

LexInVA
Dec. 20, 2007, 06:54 PM

I was at an event, and my friend was trying to get me lunch before I went to the warm up, and some mother came barging in shoved to the front of the line saying, "I have to get my daughter a hamburger immediately because she's headed to the start box NOW!"

Maybe I'm just the exception, but if you gave me a hamburger seconds before xc in the 100 degree heat (OK, in any temp)...well, suffice it to say that said hamburger wouldn't be likely to remain with me for the entire course! :eek: :eek:

Seriously, though, why do people feel like everyone else should pay for their own poor planning?!

Many n00b horse parents are like that. Some because they live vicariously through their children and some just because they don't understand where they fit in the food chain. :no:

beeblebrox
Dec. 20, 2007, 08:03 PM
KIDDING OF COURSE ;-)

But there should be trainer express line at the snack bar

I have a minimum of 6 plus my horses on the road often 9 and home shows up to 12, some days with dressage and stadium that is 12, 18 or 24 rounds with my own ride(s) on top and DAMN i get HUNGRY and MOODY ;-) LOL

SO yep burns my rear when Some kid allows every friend in her barn in front of me while I am fidgeting looking at my schedule panicking ;-)

Actually I have a client who when she goes feels sorry for me and will sometimes stand in the dreaded line or pick up lunch for me! I luv you.

octavian_jazz
Dec. 20, 2007, 09:42 PM
I'm one of the "talkers" on cross country. To tell you the truth, in everyday life I'm a pretty quiet person. When I was watching a video from a recent cross country course I realized how loud I was being. It must be the adrenaline. I don't think I'm exactly like the people described in this thread, I'm not yelling at the top of my lungs or anything, lol, I'm just loud enough that people standing around the fence can hear me, but I don't realize that I'm even being that loud.

It also helps both me and my horse (mentally) if I growl at him. I'm not sure why, but whatever works.

This only happens at one day events where there is no stabling, but another pet peeve is when people ruin the space on the sides of the trailer by parking really closely.

GreystoneKC
Dec. 20, 2007, 10:24 PM

If I were that person's horse I'd buck it off. I'm not talking about a little something between you and your horse. I have a photo galloping my pony away from a combo of going into water, out of water, up a little embankment and jumping a log and it went so well and I gave him a pat-pat and a good boy! That's enough. Not only does no one else to know I'm happy with my boy, but some of those people really make me wonder if they actually get over jumps often, LOL!

Also, it never crossed my mind that people might be finding me evil for riding my pony back to the trailer after XC and/or stadium... It's not like I sit around chatting, but I do use him for transportation. I never thought about him minding. I'm not even going to try to say something like, "it's safer to ride him than walk him", I'm really just going with it's a long walk and easier to ride. lol But at least I'm honest. He gets plenty of pampering before and after I don't think he's going to die carting my fat butt for 5 extra minutes!

Kcisawesome
Dec. 20, 2007, 10:40 PM
^I must say, when I took my greenie out for his first event (starter, schooling show), I was yelling out "GOOOODD BOOYYY" after every fence. Why? Because every time I yelled good boy, he would perk up and do better and better. This horse is not particularly confident on his own but THRIVES on praise and encouragement. Now, 5 months and a recognized begnier novice later he is jumping happily on his own (that is, without voice encouragement lol) But I am VERY glad that I started him out with the loud and annoying "good boy"s

InVA
Dec. 20, 2007, 10:43 PM
A few:

~Emily

Em - you're like Ghandi or something!

snoopy
Dec. 21, 2007, 12:00 PM
Don't think anyone has mentioned this one-- Gadgets! At least gadgets that are used by young ones who don't know how to use them/when they are not needed... i.e draw reins? Or getting equipment "just because" it is the current fashion or someone famous has it i.e rubber band on skull cap :D

OH don't get me started on that one!!!;)

I find it funny that people complain about the cost of eventing but yet go out and buy completely unneccesary equipment because so and so has it. Buy what your horse "needs" not what you feel your horse should be "seen" in.

Xctrygirl
Dec. 21, 2007, 12:02 PM
Em - you're like Ghandi or something!

Not if you saw how much I eat!!

Hunger Strike.... I don't think so!!!

~Emily

InVA
Dec. 21, 2007, 02:49 PM
Not if you saw how much I eat!!

Hunger Strike.... I don't think so!!!

~Emily

HA Which reminds me of another pet peeve: NAUSEA! Why do I have it!? haha!

Kildonan Tug. Olympic bound 2016. GKing
Dec. 22, 2007, 12:13 AM
1) over faced rider and horses

2) people passing on the wrong side and running into you warm-up

3) arm bands on legs

4) neon x-country colors

;) Gillian

Hunter Princess
Dec. 22, 2007, 03:43 PM
Wow....certainly is interesting to see everyone's pet peeves. I just started eventing..quite literally, did two mini HT's this fall. The first one was great, we were calm, under control and won. The second was the polar opposite, horrible test and mediocre stadium, clean and FAST XC..not what I intended on. But throughout the entire XC course, I have to say it helps me to growl or at least say something. I'm a hunter slowly converting and I felt my horse sucking back at some and darn it if I didn't growl at him, and sure enough it made me breath and it let him know that I was dead serious about going over whatever was in front of us. I had a stick, but I didn't go to that at all.

Also makes me happy that our colors are purple/navy or purple/black.

This is very enlightening though...now I know WHAT not to wear/do/say. :lol:

Hony
Dec. 22, 2007, 03:52 PM
If I were that person's horse I'd buck it off.
It's nerves. I do this on upgrades. I don't know why, I don't do it any other time but on an upgrade I talk to my horse nearly the whole way round, especially after a tough jump. You should have heard me at my prelim upgrade!

I suspect that for some people it's the only way they take a breath the whole way round.

KBG Eventer
Dec. 22, 2007, 04:10 PM
I don't mind some growls or lots of good boys, good jobs, wheeees. A really good trainer I have lessoned with a couple of times made my serious self yell Yahoo or Whee after good fences. This is supposed to be fun! :D

I think it is annoying when people are screaming GEEEETTTT the ENTIRE course. I do cluck, growl, and quietly "get" sometimes. I try to keep the talking to a minimum now, but I used to be fairly loud on course. Watching videos of a few years ago is so embarrassing for me because I was pretty vocal. :rolleyes:

Sometimes though...don't blame the kids. My first trainer probably wasn't ideal. She did teach me a lot, but she overfaced me and sent me out a little too early. My family didn't know any better. I was a decent rider who probably would have been just fine on the kinder, packer type for my first couple of events. I had my green bean pony and a leased experienced pony eventually that my little sister and I shared. He would jump anything, but he had a nasty streak in between fences on cross country. He dumped me so many times both at home, clinics, and at events. The first time I got around without falling off at an event I was SCREAMING at him. I was scared. Once I learned to stay on, I still did yell fairly loud at him around the course. If I felt him about to do the spin and drop I would be like "NO!" and really sit back and kick him foward. I am still SOOOOO embarrassed about that. That is why I make the effort to shut up now. :)

ThirdCharm
Dec. 22, 2007, 04:31 PM

Gack, my Novice mare is scared of white/light grey horses. REALLY (though I would sure never ask one to leave the ring!). Usually by the end of the day she's worked herself up to being scared of ALL approaching horses, but in the morning it is only white ones. Thank god dressage is first. I try to remember to apologize when she spooks/half-rears/spins and spooks other nearby horses, but sometimes I'm just so busy restraining the urge to go find a gun that I forget..... :-)

Jennifer

Jazzy Lady
Dec. 22, 2007, 04:58 PM
Gack, my Novice mare is scared of white/light grey horses. REALLY (though I would sure never ask one to leave the ring!). Usually by the end of the day she's worked herself up to being scared of ALL approaching horses, but in the morning it is only white ones. Thank god dressage is first. I try to remember to apologize when she spooks/half-rears/spins and spooks other nearby horses, but sometimes I'm just so busy restraining the urge to go find a gun that I forget..... :-)

Jennifer

I used to ride a large pony that was scared of pony's smaller than him! hahahah

rivenoak
Dec. 22, 2007, 05:16 PM
My pet peeve: the H/J-ification of eventing.

By which I mean, trainers "needing" to be watching students' every move in/at the ring. To the point of requesting a change (on check-in day of the event) in their own, scheduled, ride times to watch said students.

Look, I know these students are paying a coaching fee, but...this was always something I liked about the sport: you ride when you are assigned.

But then again, when I rode H/J, I was known to take a horse in the ring even if my trainer wasn't standing at the gate to watch. :eek: :winkgrin: I just hate standing around with an empty ring. And if I can school horses of all abilities over fences by myself at home, I can sure as $h!t manage to get one around a course at a show.

And that's how I think of eventers: people who can get themselves around a dressage test or a stadium round On Their Own. Please, BE those people.

deltawave
Dec. 22, 2007, 05:52 PM
Sixty five pounds of hardware on a horse going BN.

People who continually say things like "We would have won last weekend if we hadn't had that stop on XC". Uhhmmmm, yeah. :lol:

retreadeventer
Dec. 22, 2007, 06:11 PM
My pet peeve: the H/J-ification of eventing......And that's how I think of eventers: people who can get themselves around a dressage test or a stadium round On Their Own. Please, BE those people.

Awesome sentiment, hear - hear!!! :))

InVA
Dec. 22, 2007, 08:48 PM
My pet peeve: the H/J-ification of eventing.

By which I mean, trainers "needing" to be watching students' every move in/at the ring. To the point of requesting a change (on check-in day of the event) in their own, scheduled, ride times to watch said students.

A- FREAKING - MEN!!!!

NRB
Dec. 22, 2007, 10:40 PM
I'm pretty loosy goosey and don't really feel strongly enough to *hate* anything. But there are a few things that will make my stomach clench up.

1) is a rib thin, long tangled mane, unkempt, dirty mangey horse. Please someone take him home, feed him and give him some elbow grease.

2) dangerous and out of control riding. But the prize goes to

3) ULR and BNR's who insist on riding their stadium course out of order b/c they have other horses to ride. Look I know that this is how they make a living but dont' ask me to rewrite the entire days order of go just so they can have more warm up time for Big Expensive WB number 2,3 and 4. If your ride times are too damn close together then consider leaving 1 or 2 of the horses at home. heck it's area 2 and there will be another event in 2 weeks time (that the BNT and BNR will be compeating at anyway) Because if ONE BNR gets to do it they all do, and here in area 2 you can end up with a mess on your hands. Been there done that and Will NEVER volunteer for jump ring steward again, ever. Hats off to those who can do that job.

NRB
Dec. 22, 2007, 11:00 PM
As for the ULR/BNR's, they ARE riding up to 7-8 horses at an event... which really is quite a feat. They do this for a living, and are good at it... I don't know--- I guess I am okay with it?

Easy to not have a problem when you aren't the volunteer handling the ring schedule and you don't have to explain to little kids mom for the 5th time why their ride time was taken away and given to some ULR and that I'll fit them in as soon as I can......shrug. I hate being made the bad guy I guess.

Riding 7-8 horses at an event is perfectly fine by me, expecting everyone to bend over backwards to allow them to ride at any time conveinent to them and not what their published ride time is Bugs Me. You enter an event, you get a ride time, you ride during your ride time. I've had close ride times, and even once had dressage run late and XC run on time so I never got to walk the XC course. I just dealt with it, rode the XC and jumped by numbers.

But eventers for the most part are a good lot, and a great bunch of people to be around.

CosmosMariner
Dec. 23, 2007, 12:28 AM
My pet peeve as a trainer who takes children to small shows is some of the other trainers in my area who are just getting into eventingand seem to think they rule the roost.

They bring all of their h/j kids out expecting that sort of show. The warm up is a mess when these ladies are around. No one but my kids call the lines correctly, they cut my riders off and other peeves. Don't even get me started about cross coutry. It can be terrifying.

I think one of the most sad thing is that we are all a part of a community and could help each other. I am sure they have helpful comments for my kids and so do I,

I'd like to see less competition and snark between barn and more help and kindness.

yventer
Dec. 23, 2007, 02:03 AM
Elevator bits with running martingales.

Do you want the horse's head UP or DOWN?? Choose ONE!!!

Y

Kementari
Dec. 23, 2007, 02:25 AM
Ooh the armband on leg thing reminded me of the "whip in boot" thing... why do people do it?

I put my crop in my boot to have somewhere (safe) to put it when I need my hands (like if I'm messing with my tack, or holding two horses, or something like that), or if the horse I'm riding is taking exception to it and I'm in a place where I can't just drop it. It's just temporary storage... :winkgrin:

Sixty five pounds of hardware on a horse going BN.

People who continually say things like "We would have won last weekend if we hadn't had that stop on XC". Uhhmmmm, yeah. :lol:

:lol: I had a (thankfully former) barnmate like this....to the point that he actually informed someone else that she should have gotten third, not second, because he would have had second if he hadn't gone off course in stadium...

beeblebrox
Dec. 23, 2007, 02:36 AM
"yventer

Do you want the horse's head UP or DOWN?? Choose ONE!!!"

FIRST describe what you mean as elevator!

SECOND many need the running martingale as their leg does not support the amount of hand some riders use with the bubble gags, elevators, rope gags, etc! Hence the ears up the riders nose if they do not use the running :-) LOL :eek:

Third on another planet are the strong horses who need both for legit reasons and if you have never ridden one good for you but some will root and then if that does not work flip their heads. I am not talking about some lower level horses because that horse would not live in my barn with my little old ladies and lower level juniors.

I agree only in that: yes it is a REAL problem in the lower levels with uneducated hands.

Badger
Dec. 23, 2007, 09:12 AM
My pet peeve: people who make a muddy, flooded mess around the water pump outside a fellow competitor's stall, splattering tack and leaving a quaqmire for the competitors stabled nearby to work around all weekend.

galwaybay
Dec. 23, 2007, 10:46 AM
Is it petty to not like big loopy hunter braids? I just can't stand them!

hunters don't have big loopy hunter braids unless it is done by someone who is just learning. I braid my horse for events and do "hunter" braids and I'm sorry but mine look a lot nicer than some that I've seen at events

My biggest pet peeve about eventing is that some of the rules and attitudes haven't rubbed off into the hunter world :lol:

GreystoneKC
Dec. 23, 2007, 10:53 AM
hunters don't have big loopy hunter braids unless it is done by someone who is just learning. I braid my horse for events and do "hunter" braids and I'm sorry but mine look a lot nicer than some that I've seen at events

Us hunters definitely do NOT have big loopy braids. If they look like anything that would be described as "big and loopy" then they are severely BAD hunter braids anyway and we should not be judged by them! And ANY of my braid jobs have looked better than any one braid job I have seen yet at the 3 events I have done, if I do say so myself. Even the 15 minute one I did AT the show when we got there late looked better than anything else there.

sunhawk
Dec. 23, 2007, 01:31 PM
The armband on the boot thing. When it is hot and I'm schooling for stadium, if I have my armband on my boot, then if they allow rider's to dispense with jacket's or whether I have to put mine on just before I go in the ring, either way, I'm ready to ride and my armband is on. I fail to see the big deal whether anybody should care where a rider wears and armband. I also fail to see the relevance of an armband at a small horsetrials where everybody knows everybody, the rider is wearing a number, and the event staff know the name of the rider attached to the number. It's just another mandatory and unnecessary rule. The tack check person doesn't have to worry about finding it, because it's the first thing I point out as I ride up. Like 'Hi, here's my armband on this leg'.

Kementari
Dec. 23, 2007, 09:04 PM
The armband on the boot thing. When it is hot and I'm schooling for stadium, if I have my armband on my boot, then if they allow rider's to dispense with jacket's or whether I have to put mine on just before I go in the ring, either way, I'm ready to ride and my armband is on. I fail to see the big deal whether anybody should care where a rider wears and armband. I also fail to see the relevance of an armband at a small horsetrials where everybody knows everybody, the rider is wearing a number, and the event staff know the name of the rider attached to the number. It's just another mandatory and unnecessary rule. The tack check person doesn't have to worry about finding it, because it's the first thing I point out as I ride up. Like 'Hi, here's my armband on this leg'.

I don't know where you are, but in the US (though not, AFAIK, in Canada), the rules require you to wear your armband on your arm whenever you are jumping (whether actually on course or in the warm-up):

EV 112
2. MEDICAL CARDS. An approved and completed medical card is required any time while jumping. It must be enclosed in a transparent, waterproof carrier. It must be securely attached to the competitor’s upper arm on the outside of the competitor’s clothing. Failure to wear one’s own medical card shall be penalized by a fine of $100. (Payable to the Organizing Committee)

It's not the tack check people who you should be concerned about knowing where your armband is. If you are laying unconscious on the ground, the paramedics shouldn't have to search your whole body to find your medical info. Small delays can translate to big problems if you have a serious crash.

Un-rec trials require it because they say (in most cases) that they are run in accordance with USEF rules, and because it IS a safety issue. There is no guarantee that everyone will know everyone else, and some riders show up solo, so don't have friends around to ID them if need be. It makes FAR more sense to require everyone to have an armband than to quiz riders about whether or not a sufficient number of people know them in case something happens...

Honestly, it's a $10 piece of equipment that isn't even noticeable (to the rider) once it's on, and it could save your life. To me, that's a pretty darn good rule!

bornfreenowexpensive
Dec. 23, 2007, 09:38 PM

Y

LOL...love it! Of course NOW I will notice that and it will probably bug me too!!!

seeuatx
Dec. 23, 2007, 09:41 PM
I fail to see the big deal whether anybody should care where a rider wears and armband. I also fail to see the relevance of an armband at a small horsetrials where everybody knows everybody, the rider is wearing a number, and the event staff know the name of the rider attached to the number.

I completely disagree with that. People can and do still get hurt at the lower levels... and even if the announcer knows my name, they may not know my weight (which is important in medicating), blood type, If I am allergic to bee stings (which I am, deathly so) or penicillin (which I am not). Those are things that paramedics need to know now, not 10 minutes later, which could be the difference between life and death for some. Thus, the medical armband is a necessity not just a power trip.

InVA
Dec. 23, 2007, 09:44 PM

My biggest pet peeve about eventing is that some of the rules and attitudes haven't rubbed off into the hunter world :lol:

Ugly braids are worse than no braids at all! Hunter braids,, if done correctly - to me look like a row of little babies toes! HAHA! If you can't make them like that... just don't braid at all! HAHA!

Gnep
Dec. 23, 2007, 10:28 PM
Braiding
People who substitute riding skills with grooming skills.
Horse and rider that look fresh out of the drycleaner.
People who mistake a event for a fashion show.
Adults that expect teens not to hear their music, the way they like it.
Adults who expect teens to be quiet and obedient.
Rottenspoiled adults that ride BN and think they own the world of eventing.
Klipped and shaved ears and noses.
Tack that looks as if it comes out of jewelery store

CELL PHONES, on the horse and at the competition.

Prissy Tomboy
Dec. 23, 2007, 10:31 PM
My biggest pet peeve is riders riding with WAY to much bit and not enough leg!!! In my personal opinion every horse should be able to be ridden in a snaffle bit at all three phases. If your horse is unable to do that I think that you should reevaluate the situation. There could be something hurting/bothering the horse or it could be the way you ride. I do understand some horses do need stronger bits but most don't need all of the hardware we put in their mouths... whew that felt better.

Another pet peeve is trainers not letting their students go when it is their time to ride and then they b*tch at the volunteers when their student had a bad round. Sweetie your rider wasn't going to have a good round if they need 50 warm up jumps to be ready for a ten jump course. :no:

RSEventer
Dec. 23, 2007, 11:12 PM
Every time I go to this one event, there is a group of kids playing football right outside the stall area- they act like they don't care if your horse is spooked by it and I always wonder- Who the hell sired these children? They have dirty faces-they look like street urchins- they cuss up a storm and they are bullies- very nasty to each other as they play. I keep secretly hoping that a loose horse will one day trample them all- but there is a God for animals and children-so I know that they will be fine.

Chipngrace
Dec. 24, 2007, 03:00 AM
I've only been to one HT in my life, which was in September, and I totally bombed it. I have to say, I don't have any peeves at all. People were very nice about everything, it's the first show I've ever been to where I had people coming up and introducing themselves to me, etc. Even people I didn't remember from schooling opportunities remembered me (though my loud splashy paint helps people remember you!).

About the dirty horse thing, my horse was spotless (she's mostly white). She had been Orvus'd, Quik Silver'd, conditioned, Cantered, Cowboy Magic'd, everything you can think of, she was beautiful and flawless. She looked great the first day (dressage and the xc that would have been if we could have gotten more than 10 strides out of the start box). Stadium, my friend/groom/psychiatrist got her spotless again, but my mare got herself so worked up she got soaked with sweat, it was literally dripping off her, just from walking around/jigging. She looked filthy in the pictures, but she wasn't. That was a courtesy round anyway, and we actually never jumped anything in stadium either because she was too much of a nervous nelly. We weren't over facing her, she was in BN, and had been schooling stuff all summer both at home (we have our own xc jumps at my barn) and at clinics and this horse trial had held a schooling day a month before that she rocked at. She is 11 years old and known for having horse show melt downs back when she was a barrel racer, it had been a couple years since we can chased and I figured she was over it, but those old habits die hard and rear their ugly heads at certain times.

Guess who is going to a lot of schooling shows this year?

Kyrie
Dec. 24, 2007, 03:54 AM
Y

An unfortunate trend in NZ a couple of years back was a gag with one rein and a running martingale - talk about disc brakes!! :eek::eek:

flyingchange
Dec. 24, 2007, 08:02 AM
My only real peeves are 1) people who cut in line for whatever phase. Usually involves lying to the ring steward; 2) rail birds who critique riders/horses loudly. Very mean-spirited and unsporting.

flutie1
Dec. 24, 2007, 11:29 AM
"... I fail to see the big deal whether anybody should care where a rider wears and armband."

They are called ARMbands for a reason, not LEGbands.

Pet peeve - DuBerry boots and the clown who stands in them all day at Rolex in a bucket of water. Do people realize how silly they look in them?????

pegasusmom
Dec. 24, 2007, 11:58 AM
"... I fail to see the big deal whether anybody should care where a rider wears and armband."

They are called ARMbands for a reason, not LEGbands.

Pet peeve - DuBerry boots and the clown who stands in them all day at Rolex in a bucket of water. Do people realize how silly they look in them?????

Flutie. . . apparently you have no fashion sense!:D

And armbands are a big deal when you are the EMT trying to ID and get medical information about an unconscious rider. . . .

hanohorse
Dec. 24, 2007, 12:33 PM
I can deal with pretty much anything, but one pet peeve is people who call warmbloods dumbloods and feel warmbloods have no place in eventing. If your horse likes it, any breed can do it, especially at the lower levels.

flutie1
Dec. 24, 2007, 12:57 PM
"... Flutie. . . apparently you have no fashion sense!"

PegMom - I'm not sure "coonhound person" and "fashion sense" are mutually inclusive concepts!
:-)
Have a Merry Christmas!

bosox
Dec. 24, 2007, 01:21 PM
I fail to see the big deal whether anybody should care where a rider wears and armband. I also fail to see the relevance of an armband at a small horsetrials where everybody knows everybody, the rider is wearing a number, and the event staff know the name of the rider attached to the number.

Ok...my daughter was 8 and taking her pony to the MCTA horse trials at Rosaryville and it was our FIRST ht. I grew up hunter/jumper. No trainer/coach w/us. I had asked everyone everything...and felt like we could do it.

Signed in--and at the table there were arm bands for sale. Asked the secretary, who knew us and that it was our first ht...if we need one. She answered you sure do--you won't be out on XC w/her. So I paid my 10 dollars--and away we went to Dressage.

A kid from our PC took us on her XC course walk--and they took a bit too long--so we had to RUSH to Stadium. We warmed up over 1 jump--and then she got called into the ring. I stood right next to the steward--who then asked me about her. I had the arm band in my hand. I then asked him if the yellow card had to be filled out every year--or did we use it from year to year. Next thing I know he steps over about 3 feet and talks on his radio--saying "the kid in the jumper ring has no arm band on--and should he give her or me the news of the E". I can't hear the answer on the radio--but I know that I am not going to like the outcome. He then walks over to the warm up ring and tells EVERYONE to make sure their armband is on. Then dear daughter comes out of the ring beeming from ear to ear b/c pony goes clean! The steward asks us to wait a few minutes. Then he lets the next kid in--and asks them if they have their arm band on...they don't...and he calls the next kid in....while the other kid puts on their band. Finally, the judge comes over and says that DD is clear to go XC but would get E'd b/c of the arm band. I ask for the TD...

TD says--"well, she is going to stick by the ruling b/c it is in the rulebook and we should have known." While this is true...and I NOW review the rulebook before every season..when it is your first time out--the rules don't make sense until you see them put into action. Of course, we NEVER forget our band. You must know that I didn't argue w/the TD...explained that we were happy w/pony's round and that we were here to learn...but I didn't think it was fair the other kids got warnings--and we got an E.

So she went XC--and clear--and then had she worn the band--she would have been 2nd her first time out! Darn the band. However, I am looking at her pix from that first outing and pony is super cute over that fence. The little on has come a long way--and we still think back on that horse trial fondly w/the sad results.

Atigirl
Dec. 24, 2007, 01:25 PM
Wearing studs at the lowest levels. Learn to balance your horse first. My personal opinion is that is your horse can't trot or canter on flat ground while going BN then something is missing in your training and it is probably not the studs that are missing!

Janet
Dec. 24, 2007, 01:42 PM
While this is true...and I NOW review the rulebook before every season..when it is your first time out--the rules don't make sense until you see them put into action.
That would be my pet peeve- people who figure they don't need to learn the rulebook before their first event.

Janet
Dec. 24, 2007, 01:44 PM
I also fail to see the relevance of an armband at a small horsetrials where everybody knows everybody, the rider is wearing a number, and the event staff know the name of the rider attached to the number. It's just another mandatory and unnecessary rule.
The point of the medical card is the OTHER information- not the "name".

bosox
Dec. 24, 2007, 02:07 PM
That would be my pet peeve- people who figure they don't need to learn the rulebook before their first event.

I did read the rules before that event...but there is a lot to remember--and sometimes--it doesn't make sense...when you haven't been in that discipline before.

Bosox what a sad story! A friend of mine went into a national champ dressage test for 2nd level and didn't drop her whip. Got a 70%+ and would have won, but had the whip and got the big E. Life sucks somtimes!

Thanks--we lived--and stayed in the dark side. It was just sad b/c it was a tiny kid on a cute pony. The DD is the sweetest kid. She could care less about ribbons. She just loves having days out with her pony.

Centuree
Dec. 24, 2007, 04:04 PM
Wearing studs at the lowest levels. Learn to balance your horse first. My personal opinion is that is your horse can't trot or canter on flat ground while going BN then something is missing in your training and it is probably not the studs that are missing!

Diagreed. Studs are especially important when you have a green horse or green rider, which is much more likely at the lower levels. Ponies that slip (because rider is inexperienced) in their BN showjumping or x-country lose confidence, and I've seen many ponies or horses slip due to a faulty corner and then lose confidence and end up putting in a stop where they otherwise wouldn't have.

kookicat
Dec. 24, 2007, 05:15 PM
People parking too close to me in the car park. My box has a side ramp. I'd like to be able to get the darn thing down!

People smacking horses for no reason. Just stop it!

quietann
Dec. 24, 2007, 07:55 PM
Well, if I ever get there, I'll have an armband on my ARM. I have enough medical problems that if something goes wrong, I want the EMTs to know. The biggie for me is that I am diabetic and wear an insulin pump and no matter what happens, unless I'm dead, people need to know it's there and not mess with it!

(Not to mention the fact that trainer-in-all-but-name is a stickler for the rules. Her daughter has finally learned to NEVER complain about the armband, because it's a good way to get stuck mucking out the trailer or doing some other dirty job...)

deltawave
Dec. 24, 2007, 08:34 PM
I beg to differ with the "no studs below XYZ level" line of thinking.

If a horse has a lot more confidence while wearing studs in slippery footing, then that horse is going to be SAFER. No, not every horse needs them, but for the ones that do, IME the difference is DISTINCTLY noticeable and the animal's entire demeanor changes for the better when it realizes its legs aren't going to slip out from under it.

That's not to say that on perfect, ideal, flat footing a horse going BN has to be studded to the hilt, but a little bit of a stud for yucky footing is a LOT better (IMO) than a horse slipping and sliding, period. If someone can demonstrate to me how studs make a horse LESS safe, then I'll go along with it. Until then, IMO they have NOTHING to do with fashion or being something "best left to the experienced rider" and EVERYTHING to do with safely and confidently getting from START to FINISH. :)

hanohorse
Dec. 24, 2007, 08:58 PM
I don't understand the "no studs before training" thing, so a 3' fence = no studs but 3'3" = yes to studs? Sorry makes no sense to me (it's 3"). When I was a kid I qualified my pony in the 3' and 4' for the summer games. A few weeks before the actual games we went to a show, long story short, my experienced jumper pony slipped over a 2' warm up fence on grass, cartwheeled (I rolled out of the way) and ended up with a pucture in her front leg, just below the knee. Two morals to this story, 1. Had I had proper boots on her, she probably would not have suffered her injury. 2. If she had been wearing studs, she probably would not have slipped. If the footing isn't great, doesn't matter what size the fence is. I put studs on my daughters pony for a few events at the 2'6" level this year, because the footing was a little slick and it gave her confidence. I just don't see what the big deal is.

Kementari
Dec. 24, 2007, 10:02 PM
I've used studs for dressage (on grass)...because it was slick, and I didn't think there was any point in risking my horse and myself to prove some sort of point. (They were little studs, because of course I couldn't boot him up, but it was WELL worth it.)

As someone else said, even small slips and slides can destroy the confidence of both horse and rider, and that confidence is particularly fragile when either is green. I'd rather take precautions against that than try to prove I'm macho enough not to use studs till Training...

oreo
Dec. 25, 2007, 02:14 AM
"Kids" - i.e. 16 -21 yr olds (kids to me!) with parents with too much money. I'm sick and tired of seeing the "I can't win on this horse so buy me a more expensive one" syndrome.

Ravencrest_Camp
Dec. 25, 2007, 11:11 AM
I have too many pet peeves...

I thought I liked you!!:D

Ravencrest_Camp
Dec. 25, 2007, 11:27 AM
Actully...one of my pet peeves are people that always say dogs should be left home from events!

I think well behaved dogs are fine...

The problem is, that EVERYONE thinks THEIR dog is well behaved. Regardless of whether or not that's true.

LexInVA
Dec. 25, 2007, 11:43 AM
The problem is, that EVERYONE thinks THEIR dog is well behaved. Regardless of whether or not that's true.

That's a big pet peeve I have about a lot of horse people. They think every animal they have ownership of is some angelic creature that they have a spiritual Oompa-Loompa like connection to and can therefore control wherever they take it. :mad: And then there are the backyard horse whisperers....

WindWillowStable
Dec. 25, 2007, 10:29 PM
In regards to the studs? Who really pays attention to who has studs and who doesn't?!?! :lol: That proves that I do not pay attention to the little things because that is one of those things that I don't check out when I am "people watching/horse watching."

I think the use of studs really depends on where you live...some areas of the country have horrible footing and horses can benefit from studs but in my case, I live in Florida, and I feel that overall our footing is pretty good and our land is mostly flat - therefore, I don't feel the need for studs very often. I also think twice before jumping a horse on really bad and slippery footing, studs or no studs - there is always another horse show and I don't feel like risking myself or my horse.

Dr. Doolittle
Dec. 25, 2007, 11:54 PM

Wow, yes, I COULDN'T AGREE MORE! :mad:

(Sorry for the "shouting" on Christmas Day...:p)

ARGH, my other P/T vocation/avocation is dog trainer, so IMO, there is *no* excuse for this mentality--*especially* among horse people (who should know better, fer Pete's sake! :rolleyes: Usually, my observation is that horsepeoples' dogs are *better* disciplined than those of the average Joe--but there are always those unfortunate exceptions...)

It doesn't help that my melodramatic mare gets freaked out by barking dogs (but is completely unconcerned with/by the quiet *well* *behaved* ones--they can hang around her all day, and she is completely blase'--no problem having those around, for ANYONE! :yes:); I wind up having to move HER out of the "earshot vicinity" whenever there is a barking, yapping, unsupervised canine at a competition. :sigh: :mad:

C'mon, people--have some self-awareness, for the consideration of others; if your dog is well-behaved and well-trained (and on a leash!), by all means bring it along--otherwise--LEAVE IT AT HOME!

As for studs, I'm with Deltawave: if you need 'em, use 'em! If not, don't!

(Listening to your horse--and accomodating its needs--is part of the whole "horsemanship" thing ;)

Otherwise, Merry Christmas (and Happy Holidays) to everyone :)

eqsiu
Dec. 26, 2007, 10:48 AM
I've used studs for dressage (on grass)...because it was slick,

Yes. I once rode a horse who slipped in the corner and ended up sitting like a dog! The judge commented on our nice recovery. I use studs in grass arenas whenever the grass is even a tiny bit wet.

deltawave
Dec. 26, 2007, 10:55 AM
People whose dogs behave perfectly when they are around often are totally unaware that Poochie becomes an annoying, whining, barking PITA when the poor thing is left tied up for 2 hours in front of a stall while the owner goes traipsing off without it. Or (a huge pet peeve of mine, hotel etiquette) Poochie is left in a hotel room to bark incessantly while the owner goes to dinner. :mad:

bornfreenowexpensive
Dec. 26, 2007, 11:13 AM

I guess I disagree. I have left dogs at home since I do not think they are well behaved enough to come to a show. And I know many others who do the same. I also have taken dogs (who are kept on leashes) for years. I ask people who are parked next to me or stabled next to me to let me know if they have barked or been an issue when I'm not around (not ever been the case). But for me, my dogs are a safety issue as much as anything.....and my old rottie did once save me from a bad situation when I was doing night barns alone at a show once.

Are there obnoxious dogs...you bet....but I have run into more obnoxious riders who I wish would stay home then dogs that bug me.;)

bosox
Dec. 26, 2007, 12:37 PM
Yes. I once rode a horse who slipped in the corner and ended up sitting like a dog! The judge commented on our nice recovery.

HA HA...sounds like your judge thought outside the box...at my 2nd event this spring--EVERY horse in ring 2 was slipping in the corner at M. I told my girlfriend what the remarks would be about better balance...she is a hunter rider,,,and she said, "REally, if everyone is slipping?" "Sure, I said...you wait."

Of course my judge just said, "your horse needs to be more balanced at M." We were glad to just make it through the corner. THe girl after me...did have her horse slip right to the ground w/his hip.

BarbB
Dec. 26, 2007, 12:43 PM
Are there obnoxious dogs...you bet....but I have run into more obnoxious riders who I wish would stay home then dogs that bug me.;)

:yes::yes:
:winkgrin:

Kementari
Dec. 27, 2007, 05:30 AM
HA HA...sounds like your judge thought outside the box...at my 2nd event this spring--EVERY horse in ring 2 was slipping in the corner at M. I told my girlfriend what the remarks would be about better balance...she is a hunter rider,,,and she said, "REally, if everyone is slipping?" "Sure, I said...you wait."

Of course my judge just said, "your horse needs to be more balanced at M." We were glad to just make it through the corner. THe girl after me...did have her horse slip right to the ground w/his hip.

My horse almost went down once in a dirt arena, when we hit the spot that had just been (over) watered...we were cantering along pretty nicely, then suddenly he was on his knees! :eek:

He hopped back up, right back into the canter (no walk or trot strides), and actually was a bit more round than the first half of the circle. :lol:

We got a 7, and a "nice recovery!" :winkgrin:

WWGeorgeMorrisD
Dec. 27, 2007, 02:54 PM
Riders who don't appreciate or properly care for their horse. Everything for unecessary abuse down to not grooming the horse for an event. You wouldn't be here without the horse. Show it some respect!