PDA

View Full Version : Where to sell racing-related items?

retrofit
Dec. 9, 2007, 03:05 PM
I'm a dressager who was advised to use leg wraps for my horse's rehab, which are normally used on race horses as rundown bandages. I have a whole bunch of extras that I want to sell, now that I've happily gone back to my white polos. I'm not getting any nibbles on Ebay even though they are priced below retail. Are there any good sites to post racing-related stuff for sale? Thanks in advance!

retrofit
Dec. 11, 2007, 08:14 AM
pretty please?

Laurierace
Dec. 11, 2007, 08:19 AM
The only bandages I have ever used for rundowns is vet wrap. I have no idea where one would go to sell used bandages aside from ebay or maybe Craigslist. If you aren't getting any response there I guess there isn't a market for used bandages.

Acertainsmile
Dec. 11, 2007, 09:31 AM
I have a feeling what you have are known as cold water bandages, or track bandages...are they are made of a slightly stretchy thin cotton material?

retrofit
Dec. 11, 2007, 09:34 AM
LOL. I'm not trying to sell used bandages. I'm trying to sell what I *didn't* use.

Let me clarify. With sport horses, there are forums such as ewarmbloods that have a 'tack for sale' forum. But not too many people are using their warmbloods to run races with. I just figured that someone here might know of some horse racing related sites other than COTH. Anyone else want to chime in?

Edited to add - They are Equisport bandages. I didn't want to specify as I don't want this to be construed as advertising.

Laurierace
Dec. 11, 2007, 12:08 PM
Equisports are just a reinforced/stronger version of vet wrap. If you don't sell it you can always keep it and use it as you would vet wrap, just make sure there isn't any tension on it since it is not as stretchy as vet wrap. It is especially useful for wrapping feet since you don't have to worry about too much tension on feet.

retrofit
Dec. 11, 2007, 12:40 PM
Guys! Please! I know what they are. I bought them, used them, own them. I have never asked 'what kind of bandages are these.' I'm just asking where I might be able to sell the UNUSED rolls that I don't want. Where do horse-racing types look for bargains (besides Ebay)? Please???

Texarkana
Dec. 11, 2007, 01:11 PM
Guys! Please! I know what they are. I bought them, used them, own them. I have never asked 'what kind of bandages are these.' I'm just asking where I might be able to sell the UNUSED rolls that I don't want. Where do horse-racing types look for bargains (besides Ebay)? Please???

I think part of the problem here is there isn't really much of a market for racing tack online. Most racing folk buy their tack at the track tack store or through vendors like Big D. And the racing world isn't as "wired" as some of the other disciplines.

If you're not getting the offers you want from ebay, etc., I would recommend trying to go to a backside tack store to see if they'll consign them for you.

EponaRoan
Dec. 11, 2007, 02:24 PM
You could see about posting something at track(s) near you and see if any race trackers bite. That could possibly cut out shipping costs and issues.

horsepowerco
Dec. 11, 2007, 02:28 PM

I think the point is the knowledgable racing people were trying to have a better understanding of it was that you have to sell since you never mentioned it in your originalpost. As for the equisports...I would tell you to place them for sale on ebay. Especially is you have several rolls.

I have to agree with Laurierace they do make great hoof wrap!

I'm a vet wrap fan myself when it comes to rehab for legs and so on.

retrofit
Dec. 11, 2007, 03:03 PM
Oh, I see, you racing types aren't wasting your time on the web all day like I am. ;) I don't live very close to a racetrack. It's not worth it to drive an hour+ to try to sell about $35 worth of wraps. I don't have the need to wrap hoofs much any more (knock wood!) so it's a bit silly to keep them for that purpose. Well hopefully someone on Ebay will come to their senses and want a bunch of wraps at a price below retail. Thanks all.

Sing Mia Song
Dec. 11, 2007, 04:08 PM
If they're not getting the bids on e-bay, why not donate them to CANTER or another horse rescue operation that could use them?

Artful
Dec. 11, 2007, 07:56 PM
wait--you have horses and you'll never have to wrap their feet ever again?:eek: You're kidding, right?
Me, for $35 worth, I'd keep it, because I know ONE of my horses is going to abcess down the road......
Or, I really like the donation to CANTER idea.

retrofit
Dec. 11, 2007, 08:47 PM
wait--you have horses and you'll never have to wrap their feet ever again?:eek: You're kidding, right?
Me, for $35 worth, I'd keep it, because I know ONE of my horses is going to abcess down the road......
Or, I really like the donation to CANTER idea.

Nope - my horse hasn't had 1 abcess in the almost-10 years I've owned him. The only time I wrapped any feet was when he was 4 (long time ago now) and he did something stupid on turnout and managed to rip half a foot off. I have some ancient vetwrap that is probably all melted together hanging around. And I really don't need 12 rolls of the equisport hanging around for posterity anyway.

One benefit of being a pansy-ass dressage rider, always on well-groomed footing is ... no abcesses! :D

I like the donation to CANTER idea too.