PDA

View Full Version : Not a racing question...but a rescued TB question

hunter-jumper-rider
Dec. 8, 2007, 11:12 PM
First off, this is not a "racing" question, but rather a supplementation question. However, many of you here are experts on TB's and their special needs so I would love your advice on yet another TB related issue.

One month ago I acquired a yearling TB (he realistically is 18 months old now). He was very underweight, very wormy and was basically a disaster area. I took him in out of pity, because he has good bloodlines, and I can tell he will be a gorgeous horse when taken care of properly. He has an AMAZING and sweet disposition and is already looking so much better after being housed in the super lush main barn instead of pasture.

The last month I have been feeding him beet pulp (soaked), Purina Strategy, Platinum Performance, and Red Cell.

I just started switching him over to IMF Development G to replace just the Strategy. He also gets two flakes of grass/oat hay in the AM and one flake of alfalfa in the PM. He acts like he is STARVING all the time and cleans up every scrap of hay left on the stall floor.

He is really really small. I have not measured him, but anyone who sees him including the vet (until he looked at his teeth) thought he was 8-9 months old when he is twice that age.

I also wormed him every two weeks for the last month to make sure I am getting all of them (He had a NASTY 12 inch worm that was in his poop one morning after worming him )

Additionally the farrier came out for his first trimming (He was an angel) and the day I decided to take him in I had the vet come out to do a pre purchase on him (even though he was free, I wanted to make sure he had no issues). He also was given all of his innoculations.

So, what else can I do/supplement this baby with to bring him up to speed, make him healthy and make him grow. Obviously, too much too fast will cause him to founder or worse so suggestions on what I could do differently would be appreciated. Any other experiences in something like this are welcomed. TIA!

rcloisonne
Dec. 9, 2007, 10:58 AM
If he were mine, I would have him on a feed specifically formulated for growing horses such as Triple Crown "Growth" (and follow the directions for feeding amounts). http://www.triplecrownfeed.com/growthfeeding.php

All of the major feed companies have similar products. Forget other supplements. Red Cell in particular is a waste of money. Most horses get far too much iron in their diets already.

He also needs as much high quality forage as he can consume, either from good pasture or hay with a known protein content. He should never be "starving" as that will cause stress, induce ulcers and limit is growth. He also needs as much turnout as possible for his bones, joints and muscles to develop properly.

A horse is only a baby once and feed deficiencies now will follow him for the rest of his life. Don't cut corners. It's critical you get it right while he's growing.

SleepyFox
Dec. 9, 2007, 12:05 PM
How much feed are you giving him and how frequently?

But, I really think your problem lies in the amount of hay you are giving him. It's just not enough - especially the overnight feeding. If he really only gets one flake of alfalfa in the evening, it's no doubt gone in a few mins. and he's hungry all night. We try to keep grass hay free choice in front of our horses when they are in.

hunter-jumper-rider
Dec. 9, 2007, 03:16 PM
As far as the amounts go, I give him one full scoop of beet pulp and then soak it, one oz. of Red Cell, one scoop of Platinum and a 3/4 scoop of Strategy (or LMF).

ITA on the hay.....do you think it is better to just cut the alfalfa out and give him 2 flakes of gras/oat hay at night instead? Or, should I be giving him 3 flakes?

My old trainer said what he is currently getting is fine, BUT he seriously acts starving all the time. He literally picks up every piece of hay off the floor, even consuming a lot of shavings with it.

Thank you for your continued input, I am worried about getting it "just right" without endangering him by giving him "too much good stuff."

Would you also suggest NOT having him in a stall/paddock combo? He just looks terrible and it makes me feel better if he is inside especially during the rainy weather. Also, when he was in pasture, the other horses beat the crap out of him.

horsepowerco
Dec. 9, 2007, 03:58 PM
double the Platinum performance and dump the Stratigy...go to a feed more geared for GROWTH like already mentioned. and LOTS OF HEY! Good quality hay.

I just love PP...have been using it for years...LOVE IT

hunter-jumper-rider
Dec. 9, 2007, 04:04 PM
Yeah, I love Platinum, it is a wonderful product I used on my other horses that made them look amazing. The trainer at the barn now says to NOT give him Platinum because it will make a young horse grow too fast. As a result of her coment everyone at the barn is like, "Why are you giving him Platinum, it's going to hurt him and make him grow too fast."

Whatever, the Vet said to give him the PP, so I am going with that.

How many flakes of either grass/oat hay and alfalfa should he be getting? (and at what ratio)

That is the one thing I am haviing issues with. The barn people say he is getting plenty.....um, no, he is starving and one flake alfalfa in the pm and 2 flakes of grass/oat at night is obviously not enough.

Also I am currently dumping the Strategy and switching gradually to IMF Development G.

horsepowerco
Dec. 9, 2007, 04:11 PM
I breed Tb's commercially and have been feeding PP to ALL of them
Broodmares, foals, yrlgs, racehroses all of them get the stuff. None of them have ever grown too fast. Our horses have hay free choice...;BUT we feed pure alfalfa 2 and 3 cutting. so we end up feed far less grain in the end.

If you have grass hay thought would be best for now...if you can feed 3-4 flakes Am and 3-4 flakes Pm and feed the one flake of alfalfa at lunch it might work out better

Tallabred
Dec. 10, 2007, 04:00 PM
I breed TB and my yearling colt(21 months) gets 6 lbs. of sweet feed/pellets with a large alfalfa flake for breakfast and dinner, pasture all day and a late night 3 lbs of sweet feed/pellets with another large alfalfa flake. He is now 16.1 hands. He also gets vitamins and daily wormer.

jennywho
Dec. 11, 2007, 02:01 AM
My TB babies have access to alfalfa/orchard 40:60 mix at all times. IMO you can't feed them enough at that point. I also feed strategy 1-4lbs a day, horseguard and OCD.

You might try putting your guy on a daily wormer for a couple of months. Even though mine are wormed regularly from day 1, I put all of them on strongid c 2x two months before I sell them and it really seems to make a difference. Another thing you might try is body builder by equiaide. I love the results.

horsepowerco
Dec. 11, 2007, 09:48 AM
9 lbs of feed? WOW theres not a horse in my barn not a young one at least who eats that! But then I do feed a LOT of hay. My 17+ h 2yr gets maybe 9 lbs a day but hes also in training. My racehroses...well thats a different story.

dkeen
Dec. 19, 2007, 10:51 PM
I agree with the other forum member, horses must have free choice on hay. Most grass hays aren't enriched enough so it is good that you are also feeding alfalfa. We feed a lot of alfalfa, puts a nice 'bloom' on horses.
Horses are grazing animals. They produce acid in the stomachs constantly. If they go to long without anything to eat you increase the risk of stomach ulcers and likelihood of colic.
Another forum member made a comment on Red Cell. It is way overrated and most horsemen have started feeding other supplements. To much iron is very harmful and causes a lot of different complications. I like the Platinum and also Cellerator X. Also, even though you have already wormed him worm him again with Panacur Power Pack, a 5 day treatment that is very gentle on the stomach.
As a thoroughbred lover, rescuer, trainer, and breeder, I commend you for taking on such a project. Good luck with him.
Donna
www.dallaskeen.com

johnnysauntie
Dec. 20, 2007, 11:40 AM
Lots of hay is important for a variety of reasons - nutritionally, for digestion and even for behavior. We've mellowed out some stall behavior issues simply by upping hay.

Lots of other good advice here that I agree with - but I did want to add support to the call for "more hay!"

Good luck with your boy! He's lucky he found you. :yes:

hunter-jumper-rider
Dec. 20, 2007, 03:22 PM
Well, my colt is now in horse heaven with his increased rations. I am still giving him beet pulp, LMF development G, and PP but I upped his hay intake to 3 flakes grass in the AM and 2 flakes grass 1 alfalfa in the pm. I was going to raise it up more, but when they are feeding him it looks like they are actually giving him around 5 flakes or so in the AM and PM. Whatever it is they are giving him is working because his AM feed lasts him until PM dinner so he is constantly "grazing" in his stall.

If I hear one more moronic person at my barn say, "Oh my god, you are going to make that horse founder or colic with all of that feed, you are going to kill him." I am going to SCREAM! These people won't even listen to me with the exception of one lady who owns my colt's half sister who is also 18 months old. Her filly was totally lethargic at all times even in turn out, never ran around to play and buck, nothing. I told her to triple her filly's feed (she was getting 1 flake for each feeding!) and her filly is now running, bucking, playing like a "normal" horse should be. I can't stand people who will not even allow you to try and educate them!!!

millwrightmomma
Dec. 21, 2007, 12:53 PM
Make sure he gets lots of turn out, and that he has hay to snack on while out.
All the complete feeds have lots of Iron in them, so unless he is enemic, you could cut that out.
We give our babies lots of carrots, and any ones that come in undernourished or preggers.
They get water that way, and they love the carrots.
I'm lucky I can buy one ton at a time.

Continue to monitor the grain levels, and feed more as he grows and fills out.
You are on the right track. :)

Congradulations , learning is a life long event :)

InVA
Dec. 21, 2007, 02:58 PM
As far as the amounts go, I give him one full scoop of beet pulp and then soak it, one oz. of Red Cell, one scoop of Platinum and a 3/4 scoop of Strategy (or LMF).

ITA on the hay.....do you think it is better to just cut the alfalfa out and give him 2 flakes of gras/oat hay at night instead? Or, should I be giving him 3 flakes?

My old trainer said what he is currently getting is fine, BUT he seriously acts starving all the time. He literally picks up every piece of hay off the floor, even consuming a lot of shavings with it.

Thank you for your continued input, I am worried about getting it "just right" without endangering him by giving him "too much good stuff."

Would you also suggest NOT having him in a stall/paddock combo? He just looks terrible and it makes me feel better if he is inside especially during the rainy weather. Also, when he was in pasture, the other horses beat the crap out of him.

I think you should be giving him as much hay as he'll eat. put it in a manger if you're worried about any being wasted. It takes a while for things to calm down for them if they've been neglected. The old phrase .." if you walk 30 days in to the woods, it'll take 30 days to walk out.. " comes to mind...