PDA

View Full Version : Erin is Resigning

Chief2
Dec. 3, 2007, 12:31 AM
There won't be much left to discuss here very soon. the H/J board erupted into a sharkfest (see the "Ciao" thread--resignation is on p.30) and Erin and the other moderators are resigning tomorrow morning at 9am.

eurythmic
Dec. 3, 2007, 12:42 AM
seriously, if THIS is what gets your blood boiling, then I don't know what the heck kind of rock you've been hiding under for the last, oh, six years or so. Iraq, global warming, Abu Ghraib, torture... THOSE are things to get riled up about. Your friend getting called on the carpet for acting like an ass on a BB? Not so much.

This has got to be THE best comment ever made on a horsey BB.

Chief2
Dec. 3, 2007, 12:48 AM
Yeah, it's a great comment, but the harbingers to come for the entire board over the next 24 hours are no laughing matter. Most of us don't want to see it close down, but with no moderators they won't have a choice.

Kenike
Dec. 3, 2007, 12:49 AM
wow...I've been watching that, but I didn't realize it had erupted into THAT big of a deal!
Oh boy...

Chief2
Dec. 3, 2007, 12:51 AM
I was so offended by the whole thing I was wishing it was stripped. Then again, maybe it's best we can see just how nasty things can get. Still, the thought of no one being here anymore is too depressing to contemplate. A little help here?

J-Lu
Dec. 3, 2007, 12:52 AM
All I have to say is that I've skimmed that trashy thread in the last couple of days while procrastinating, and if THAT nonsense is what shuts this board down, then it was on shaky ground to begin with. 6 or so obnoxious people out of how many members of this board have the power to shut down the board and make Erin resign?? The thread should have been locked. The slanderous posters should have been kicked off, repeatedly-as alters come up. Who cares if they don't like it and complain. Feeding the trolls just keeps them coming around - we all know that. Hopefully Erin will change her mind by the morning.

It's almost sad that you brought this up here, Chief2, because it will only encourage more people to go read that trash. :no:

J.

Chief2
Dec. 3, 2007, 12:54 AM
I know, but it's gotta be done. It's not just Erin who's going. They're all looking at quitting and no one is willing to take it over.

RiddleMeThis
Dec. 3, 2007, 01:17 AM
All I have to say is that I've skimmed that trashy thread in the last couple of days while procrastinating, and if THAT nonsense is what shuts this board down, then it was on shaky ground to begin with. 6 or so obnoxious people out of how many members of this board have the power to shut down the board and make Erin resign?? The thread should have been locked. The slanderous posters should have been kicked off, repeatedly-as alters come up. Who cares if they don't like it and complain. Feeding the trolls just keeps them coming around - we all know that. Hopefully Erin will change her mind by the morning.

It's almost sad that you brought this up here, Chief2, because it will only encourage more people to go read that trash. :no:

J.

It was locked. Wheatherford locked it and Erin choose to unlock it.

Dreamboat Annie
Dec. 3, 2007, 02:42 AM
Gee, I just joined, and was starting to get around here, and now this, I am glad that there is another forum, that is civil, that I can go to, even though I found this one to be a bit of fresh air....maybe Erin will reconcider in the morning, when she goee to work...:)

canyonoak
Dec. 3, 2007, 09:54 AM
I am just sad.

I like this BB. I only go to a few of them, and this is one of my favorites.

There are always idiots and childish pigs on BBs, as there are in life.

The idea that this has become "Lord of the Flies" and a few bullying fat pigs have managed to create such havoc... well, not sure what to say.

To Erin: just want to say, you have been a superior mod all along--and this is not the first or second time I've said that.

Velvet
Dec. 3, 2007, 09:57 AM
Maybe they'll hire someone else who won't get so involved with the topics. Maybe they'll get someone who will just close things down and then PM people, rather than arguing back and forth with them (or publicly chastising them) on the board. *shrug*

I can't see it as a reason to kill the board. COTH would be cutting off their nose to spite their face if they did that. This is still a source of revenue for them, and it's also advertising.

I wouldn't jump to any conclusions. I also wouldn't jump to the one that Erin is actually quitting. :D

lorilu
Dec. 3, 2007, 10:04 AM
Well, I'm sad to see it happen, but frankly, I am not suprised.

The "openness" and "lack of moderator control" that makes this forum so attractive also requires some SELF-control. In the past, the nastiness was directed mostly at other unfortunate members of the forum who dared post something. I have often mentioned the snarkiness that can run rampant here. More than once I have read "If you don't like it, don't post here"

Now, that snarkiness and nastiness has been directed at Erin.

She does not deserve it.

Perhaps some more "moderator control" actually IS necessary to keep the I***diots in line.??

So sad.
So sorry, Erin.

It's like laws. Most of us don't need the laws against murder or burgulary. Unfortunately, there are aspects of society that do need the rules, and the punishments that come with them. It's the same, IMO, on these internet forums. Mosto f us do not need the rules. There are those, however, who must be reined in because they have no sense of community and no self control.

Loretta

DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho"
Dec. 3, 2007, 10:05 AM
I hope not.

talloaks
Dec. 3, 2007, 10:09 AM
Everyone seems to fear change, but a change in moderators may be a positive thing for this bulletin board. Seriously!!:)

Posting Trot
Dec. 3, 2007, 11:15 AM
So, Talloaks, does that mean that you're going to be one of the moderators?

Seriously, the moderators do not get paid (I believe). Why would anyone in their right mind put up with all of the crap that was posted on that thread?

caffeinated
Dec. 3, 2007, 11:21 AM
So, Talloaks, does that mean that you're going to be one of the moderators?

Seriously, the moderators do not get paid (I believe). Why would anyone in their right mind put up with all of the crap that was posted on that thread?

And not just that thread, but gazillions of emails and PMs every day, constant lawsuit threats, years of people being unable to listen to directions, personal phone calls from unhappy people, people going to your boss and whining when the rules are applied to them- it's about a lot more than that one thread, I think.

EdwynEdwyn
Dec. 3, 2007, 11:27 AM
Maybe they'll hire someone else who won't get so involved with the topics. Maybe they'll get someone who will just close things down and then PM people, rather than arguing back and forth with them (or publicly chastising them) on the board. *shrug*

I completely agree with this (although absolutely nothing against Erin!)

I think that moderators should be relatively anonymous.

Lori
Dec. 3, 2007, 11:31 AM
Is it possible for the mods to just delete a thread like that and block the posters?

fiona
Dec. 3, 2007, 11:36 AM
Wouldn't they prefer to take them out with a trained sniper?

AllWeatherGal
Dec. 3, 2007, 11:40 AM

There's value either way ... I"ve been both kind of moderator and to my mind, the personal touch is well in keeping with the whole equestrian business of knowing who is who. I like it. It seems fitting.

For those of you who really want to send a message to CoTH that the BB is valuable -- pay for a premium membership.

In fact, I was going to post that in response to everyone who cancels a magazine subscription if two people buy premium memberships, given the cost of paper publishing, I think CoTH might actually come out ahead as a business.

lorilu
Dec. 3, 2007, 11:41 AM
Is it possible for the mods to just delete a thread like that and block the posters?

That was one of the "why i love this board" comments in various threads... the relative openness of the forums, and freedom allowed by the mods.
Seems it finally backfired, as the trolls just could not control themselves.

daisyfields
Dec. 3, 2007, 11:44 AM
Even though I don't post too often, I would hate to see the board close down. Everyone here has the most helpful advice. I love posting questions and reading the responses to other poster's questions as well, they just help so much. I don't think there's another board with the experience and knowledge that the members on this one seem to have. Hopefully she will change her mind and things can be set straight.

Elegante E
Dec. 3, 2007, 11:47 AM
I think it may be moderator burnout. I mean, how long can a person put up with all the crap that goes on? How many insults should they have to put up with? I don't know anyone with thick enough skin to deal with the crazies for years and not "get involved" on occassion. Erin and the other moderators have shown amazing restraint.

!!!!!Thanks for the years of sevice, Erin!!!!!!

I hope these boards don't die but then there are some who have worked diligently to make it so. Would be sad if the crazies won.

dray
Dec. 3, 2007, 11:49 AM
I am sorry to hear that it is coming to this.

When I first joined this board, we discussed things like biomechanics of riding...which we seldom do any more (most recently Kit had thread did do so)....we used to discuss our foals and our mares and what they were doing, how they did at shows, our stallions...it was kind of fun...sure there were trolls and few snide remarks, but people got over it...there was less moderator intevention and if people were too rude, they just got froze out (kind of like the rude kids in junior high...)

That being said, Erin and other moderators have a job to do because we are all GUESTS on the publishers forum. We need to take our shoes off when we log in and leave the dirt outside.

merrygoround
Dec. 3, 2007, 12:00 PM
I do hope Erin will reconsider! The bulletin board has been a useful source of info for so many.

For those who don't care for the postings of a particular person, they invented the Ignore List! If people used that more often, rather than sitting on their spurs, life would be easier. :lol: :lol:

BornToRide
Dec. 3, 2007, 12:44 PM
Perhaps you remember my "why become personal" thread way back when where one person even resorted to signing up under one of my old logon names from another forum and it wasn't stopped by the moderators even when a bunch of other rather lovely women (or should I say school girls?)started dragging my reputation in the dirt?

In my opinion this sort of behavior and verbal abuse needs to be stopped immediately when it occurs, with suspension as necessary. By allowing it to continue it has now made its karmic round and bit others in the behind. As they say: "What goes around, comes around"!

twnkltoz
Dec. 3, 2007, 12:58 PM
Unfortunately, you can't win no matter what you do. When mods control things more closely, they get bashed for censorship. When they leave things as open as they are here, people abuse it and the mods get bashed for not stepping in sooner.

Sorry to see you go, Erin, but I sure can't blame you.

FancyFree
Dec. 3, 2007, 01:01 PM
There are so many psychos on the internet that I wouldn't be a mod for a million dollars. I'm constantly amazed how bent out of shape people get over da internets. It's just a message board. It's not real life.

I've only been here a short time but Erin has been fine by me. I've been on boards where the mods were extremely heavy-handed and in your face all the time. Erin seems pretty laid back and fair. I'll be sorry to see her go. I really hope they don't shut down the board as well.

BornToRide
Dec. 3, 2007, 01:05 PM
It's just a message board. It's not real life.
Oh it is very real - the only difference is that since people do not face each other in person on a forum, they get carried away faster with the abuse that's happening - just google for cyber bullying sometimes and see what you get. Most is referred to as children, but it really is adults who are the ones that show them kids how to do it.

Bluey
Dec. 3, 2007, 01:07 PM
Everyone seems to fear change, but a change in moderators may be a positive thing for this bulletin board. Seriously!!:)

I seem to find your negative comments about the moderators in some of those threads discussing this.
It is starting to look trollish.

We acknowledged that some don't like the moderation, or A moderator.
That is what started it all, with those people ganging up in revenge for past slights.

You got what you wanted.
Now, how about letting go, OK?

AnotherRound
Dec. 3, 2007, 01:14 PM
Well said Bluey. Lets just let it all go, shall we? Get on to horse issues? And keep personal opinions off the board? Its all been said. Lets get back to why we're here in the first place and not feed into the kind of bad behaviour which started this, okay? No more "he said, she said"?

FancyFree
Dec. 3, 2007, 01:18 PM
Oh it is very real - the only difference is that since people do not face each other in person on a forum, they get carried away faster with the abuse that's happening - just google for cyber bullying sometimes and see what you get. Most is referred to as children, but it really is adults who are the ones that show them kids how to do it.

I don't have to Google cyber bullying because I was stalked for about two months on a celeb gossip message board. I mean seriously stalked, where she found my name and address. I now use an Anonymizer for my IP. I had to leave the board. So I can absolutely understand why Erin wants to leave. I guess I was trying to say that I can not fathom the weirdos who take the internet so seriously. Seriously enough to stalk or harrass strangers that they will never know in real life. That just boggles my mind.

BornToRide
Dec. 3, 2007, 01:24 PM
:eek: Unfortunately there are some really emotionally sick people out there. Rather than working on themselves they have perfected the art of putting others down in whatever from, in order to feel better. It's all a control issue - the control and management of their own insecurities. The internet is just another tool they can use to achiev their goals.

Bluey
Dec. 3, 2007, 01:29 PM
I don't have to Google cyber bullying because I was stalked for about two months on a celeb gossip message board. I mean seriously stalked, where she found my name and address. I now use an Anonymizer for my IP. I had to leave the board. So I can absolutely understand why Erin wants to leave. I guess I was trying to say that I can not fathom the weirdos who take the internet so seriously. Seriously enough to stalk or harrass strangers that they will never know in real life. That just boggles my mind.

That happened to me on another horse BB.:(
We never know when we may offend disturbed people.:eek:

In BB's, you can't stop people walking in the door, like in a public bar.
You don't know if they already had a few too many until it is too late and they start a fight.:no:
As a moderator, then you have few recourses, other than punching a few and throwing the fighters out, if they started it or not.;)
You can't call the police, since you ARE the police.

I wonder that Erin put up with all that for so long.

jester1113
Dec. 3, 2007, 01:29 PM
Out of respect for Erin and the other mods, as well as knowing that your reputation precedes you BTR, I'm going to let it alone.

Just know that I almost choked on my turkey pastrami, laughing. :lol:

chancellor2
Dec. 3, 2007, 01:38 PM
It was locked. Wheatherford locked it and Erin choose to unlock it.

Is this really true? Why would she unlock it?
although I post here only infrequently, I would be sorry to see this board go.

BornToRide
Dec. 3, 2007, 01:39 PM
Out of respect for Erin and the other mods, as well as knowing that your reputation precedes you BTR, I'm going to let it alone.

Just know that I almost choked on my turkey pastrami, laughing. :lol:

And here we go again..........what are you trying to imply? Just because my opinion differs from others who are quite set in their ways and who cannot stand people who are rather open minded, does not mean it tarnishes my reputation, if that's what you were trying to imply.

I did unknowingly I hung out with the wrong crowd for a while on another forum . I made the mistake of giving them too much credit. This is the same type of crowd that causes issues like this because their egos are too big. I acknowledged that to affected people and apologized .

Be careful whom you follow and what you believe. You may be making too many assumptions, but perhaps you are doing this intentionally as well!

jester1113
Dec. 3, 2007, 01:41 PM
Is this really true? Why would she unlock it?
go.

To vent! I can't believe she held it in as long as she did.

GreekDressageQueen
Dec. 3, 2007, 01:41 PM
I have no problem with the moderators and I probably would have done the same thing that Erin is accused of doing simply because she CAN and it is LEGAL. People spout "free speech" yada yada yada and forget that the Constitutional right of "free speech" does not apply to non-government entities such as private businesses. COTH is a private business (not government affiliated) and we are "allowed" to play on their forum and, thus, must abide by their rules even if that does mean we can't say everything and anything we want.

I hate to generalize - because I am sure it is NOT true of everyone (flame coat on ;)) - but I used to post occasionally on the H/J forum and I was treated very rudely just because the word "dressage" appears in my screen name. I used to jump for years and still do, but that didn't matter. I'm sorry but I have seen some of those H/J posters bully other posters, try to ruin peoples' reputations, seek out personal information in order to ruin peoples' "real" lives, and now it seems they may have ruined it for everyone. Try posting something on the H/J site that is negative or somewhat unsavory to H/J riding and you get marked as a troll and stoned on the cyber streets. Again - I AM SURE THIS DOES NOT APPLY TO EVERYONE - but in some 200 posts (and no, I am not as seasoned as some of you pushing 1000+ posts) and a year of lurking, these are the impressions I have compiled. :no:

I will probably get flamed for this, but oh well. I am not trying to personally attack anyone in particular so don't take it personal. :no:

P.S. Same thing happened on the Sport Breeding forum where a few members tried to corner the market on who could say what, how, when, etc. I thought Erin did the right thing there too by shutting it down for a few days.

chancellor2
Dec. 3, 2007, 01:43 PM
That makes sense Jester. I guess I'd have done the same thing.

EqLuvr
Dec. 3, 2007, 01:53 PM
It's just like real life where 80% of horse people are fabulous and 20% are completely nuts.

Personally, I would quit too. My life is too short for this kind of BS. I wouldn't have lasted.

Ambrey
Dec. 3, 2007, 01:55 PM
I think all of the complainers should go to the Horsetopia boards- I got perma-banned there for making a (for me) mildly snarky comment about one of the "in-crowd" on an entirely separate board.

There is such a fine line in moderating- what is too much? Should mods close a thread just because it is off-topic? Is all snark prohibited? And how does one stay unbiased? It's an interesting thing to consider.

rileyt
Dec. 3, 2007, 01:56 PM
I'm not holding my breath.

I'll believe it when I see it.

BornToRide
Dec. 3, 2007, 02:03 PM
I think all of the complainers should go to the Horsetopia boards- I got perma-banned there for making a (for me) mildly snarky comment about one of the "in-crowd" on an entirely separate board.

There is such a fine line in moderating- what is too much? Should mods close a thread just because it is off-topic? Is all snark prohibited? And how does one stay unbiased? It's an interesting thing to consider. Yes, I have always seen this as well as a huge challenge for mods. I have even seen a forum owner beeing bullied with a libel suit by one member who happens to belong to the "in-crowd". You never know what goes on behind the scenes, who knows who and who's scratching each others backs. Moderation can only be successful when the mods can be totally unbiased as needed.

chancellor2
Dec. 3, 2007, 02:15 PM
BTR-Sometimes, I just do not know how you live your life. Sure, it would be great if moderators could be completely unbiased. But, moderators are only human and therefore biases will exist.

BornToRide
Dec. 3, 2007, 02:26 PM
BTR-Sometimes, I just do not know how you live your life. Sure, it would be great if moderators could be completely unbiased. But, moderators are only human and therefore biases will exist. That's OK - the feeling is mutual :D

chancellor2
Dec. 3, 2007, 02:37 PM
The little green smiley doesn't make your post any less snarky so why bother?

Ambrey
Dec. 3, 2007, 02:58 PM

I always thought the green smiley was to add extra snark?

chancellor2
Dec. 3, 2007, 03:18 PM
I always thought the green smiley was to add extra snark?

Well, you learn something new everyday! Thanks Ambrey. That explains a lot.

rutgerjan
Dec. 3, 2007, 03:27 PM
I don't think and don't hope that Erin or any other moderator of COTH will resign. The last five years I have learned to know Erin as a tough but very decent and well educated person. Decent..... because she never edited my postings, never changed a link to one of my videos into a link to a porno side. No she just banned me or removed my postings. Also (i still have her Email) Erin understood that sometimes I HAD to use an alter, and she gave me permission to use an alter. The Erin/Theo battle only started and continued because we both have a strong ego, and we didn't have time enough to communicate directly and personaly with each other. And as my wife always tell me ego's can get in your way !

Theo van Bruggen

daisyfields
Dec. 3, 2007, 06:07 PM
:eek: Unfortunately there are some really emotionally sick people out there. Rather than working on themselves they have perfected the art of putting others down in whatever from, in order to feel better. It's all a control issue - the control and management of their own insecurities. The internet is just another tool they can use to achiev their goals.

That's so true. There are always those few select people that just keep doing it. I constantly get left very rude, nasty remarks about my horse and I on youtube...until I just started deleting any comments they were like those:lol: Unfortunately it gets to how it did here where people just keep coming back. It's sad really:no:, but you see it almost every horse forum out there. I just hope it won't be the end to this forum, as I sincerely think it is the best. most helpful one out there.

fiona
Dec. 3, 2007, 06:21 PM
Theo, that's sooo sweet!

So can you explain your rationale for the BB wars? is it good for business? Where do you find the energy? How come you have the time?
Inquiring minds need to know it's nearly the end of the world - apparently.

ESG
Dec. 3, 2007, 06:25 PM
Okay - I'm confused (not that that's news :rolleyes: ). Erin is resigning because the straw that broke the drama-llama's back had been laid, but now all the other mods are resigning too? In support? Despite the fact that none of them seem to have had a slugfest with a poster?

Will someone please explain, in small words, WTF is going on? :confused:

Coreene
Dec. 3, 2007, 06:35 PM
Despite the fact that none of them seem to have had a slugfest with a poster?That is actually incorrect.

fiona
Dec. 3, 2007, 06:42 PM
Ok here's the recap.

Some people that breed horses fell out with someother people that breed horses and took their battle into cyber space. They snarked used alters libelled slandered gandered and a'wandered until they'd whipped up a snarkfest of epic proportions.

None of the horses were involved. They could possibly have been very nice horses but the chances of anyone actually seeing one or contemplating buying one diminished with every post. But the point is it's not their fault they blame their parents.

Meanwhile back at Snarkcity Armageddonsville mud was being slung some stuck some slid down the flimsy walls of sanity and caused a terrible outbreak of flounder. Late night phonecalls were made, secret postings, off shoot bulletin boards, some say a tunnel links them all we will probably never know.

At around this time Erin was accused of owning a cat. Again unproven but ...

At some point a stallion did or did not exist pass or fail a grading with an honest or dishonest American or Foreign Society. Colour may have been mentioned. Allegations were made of drug use or lack thereof. The thin sliver of truth that may have remained was lost in a slew of mud slinging bannings lock outs and the barbed arrows of redress, rebuttal and pointless drivel.

Mutterings of WTF? STFU! did nothing to stop the battle. It raged and reinvented itself to the point of making the 100 day war a small tiff.

A small animal died.

The end of the tether was reached and when that happens the only course of action is to take the toy soldiers and go home.

The end.

Portia
Dec. 3, 2007, 06:51 PM
ESG, all of the moderators have had slug fests with posters over the years, not just on the threads but in PTs and e-mails. And calls. And threats to employers. I quit being a moderator a few years ago after someone threatened to sue my law firm for allowing me to moderate because she didn't like that I wouldn't allow her to post advertisments for her breed registry on the breeding forum.

The moderators have been the same volunteer moderators since the boards grew big enough to need someone to help out Erin. Three of us quit along the way, but Weatherford, So Easy, and Chestnut Mare hung in there.

Erin didn't ask any of them to quit; she wanted them to stay on. But they've all had enough.

Portia
Dec. 3, 2007, 06:55 PM
fiona, thanks for the laugh. I needed that. :)

Dalfan
Dec. 3, 2007, 07:11 PM

What's a matter? Not content with chasing BTR off of UDDB? Have you come over here to poke at her when you see her post?
:D My smiley is sincere - honest.

Timex
Dec. 3, 2007, 07:36 PM
To vent! I can't believe she held it in as long as she did.

and then, even after speaking her piece, left the thread open, and continued to snark right back. i doubt she'll go. and i haven't seen any of the other mods say that they're going. and i doubt this board is going anywhere, either.

flyingchange
Dec. 3, 2007, 07:41 PM
Ok here's the recap.

Some people that breed horses fell out with someother people that breed horses and took their battle into cyber space. They snarked used alters libelled slandered gandered and a'wandered until they'd whipped up a snarkfest of epic proportions.

None of the horses were involved. They could possibly have been very nice horses but the chances of anyone actually seeing one or contemplating buying one diminished with every post. But the point is it's not their fault they blame their parents.

Meanwhile back at Snarkcity Armageddonsville mud was being slung some stuck some slid down the flimsy walls of sanity and caused a terrible outbreak of flounder. Late night phonecalls were made, secret postings, off shoot bulletin boards, some say a tunnel links them all we will probably never know.

At some point a stallion did or did not exist pass or fail a grading with an honest or dishonest American or Foreign Society. Colour may have been mentioned. Allegations were made of drug use or lack thereof. The thin sliver of truth that may have remained was lost in a slew of mud slinging bannings lock outs and the barbed arrows of redress, rebuttal and pointless drivel.

Mutterings of WTF? STFU! did nothing to stop the battle. It raged and reinvented itself to the point of making the 100 day war a small tiff.

A small animal died.

The end of the tether was reached and when that happens the only course of action is to take the toy soldiers and go home.

The end.

OMGIH. I am LMAO. Thank you so much for that.

What shall we name this latest chapter of The Chronicle Wars?

~Freedom~
Dec. 3, 2007, 07:44 PM
Okay - I'm confused (not that that's news :rolleyes: ). Erin is resigning because the straw that broke the drama-llama's back had been laid, but now all the other mods are resigning too? In support?

I read that Robert Banner was lurking on this board Sunday and maybe just maybe some pushing was done?

Dalfan
Dec. 3, 2007, 07:48 PM
Just to venture a guess - I would think the Hall of Shame had something to do with it. Perhaps the powers that be wanted it down, maybe the mods wanted to keep it up. Line in the sand. Just a wild guess.

BarbB
Dec. 3, 2007, 07:51 PM
fiona, take a bow

*applause* :lol:

7HL
Dec. 3, 2007, 07:52 PM
There are hundreds of Horse & Equine Discussion Forums / Boards on the net. Some very small and run by a small closed group of people. Then there are some like this run / sponsored by a business.

Small personal boards, hard to have impersonal admins and mods.

Boards like this should not allow their admins or moderators be active posters. They are there to enforce the rules and policies of the board. Nothing more.

There are always stalkers, trolls and loons out there. We all come across them if you post with any frequency in discussion forums.

What we loose sight of often, is "it's only words". For the most part there are no totally uncensored equine / horse boards out there.

If this board serves the magazine then it will stay with or without the present admins & mods.

BarbB
Dec. 3, 2007, 07:53 PM
I read that Robert Banner was lurking on this board Sunday and maybe just maybe some pushing was done?

For heaven's sake.
I read that little green men were stealing ISPs and posting on the H/J forum with fake names but it ain't necessarily so.

egontoast
Dec. 3, 2007, 08:06 PM
A small animal died.

Are you referring to my squirrel monkey, Sheridan, or the deceased rodent? I can't help wondering if my monkey's passing was somehow caused by the emotional turbulence on this board. Sheridan was very sensitive to moods. When upset ,he would often defecate into his hands and fling it at visitors . It was one of his most endearing qualities.:sadsmile:

Knothead
Dec. 3, 2007, 08:12 PM
Having reviewed some of this thread along with the thread on H/J...one thing comes to my mind -- WHO HAS TIME FOR ALL OF THIS? Does anyone ride their horses? I don't know about you, but between a full time job, a house to care for, a husband, a dog -- I barely have time to ride, let alone spend my day pissing and moaning on a BB.

Tamara in TN
Dec. 3, 2007, 08:13 PM
Ok here's the recap.

A small animal died.
The end.

THAT was well done !!

Tamara in TN

7HL
Dec. 3, 2007, 08:19 PM
Having reviewed some of this thread along with the thread on H/J...one thing comes to my mind -- WHO HAS TIME FOR ALL OF THIS? Does anyone ride their horses? I don't know about you, but between a full time job, a house to care for, a husband, a dog -- I barely have time to ride, let alone spend my day pissing and moaning on a BB.

Great question! "WHO HAS TIME FOR ALL OF THIS? Does anyone ride their horses? "

Often wonder that myself, some people are on boards 24/7. When do they ever ride. Do they even own a horse? Or do they just have a virtual horse?

MEP
Dec. 3, 2007, 08:24 PM
Fiona: one of the finest accounts I've read! Thank you for that :lol:

Louise
Dec. 3, 2007, 08:24 PM
Sorry, Timex, but Erin and the Mods have, indeed, resigned. I don't know what will happen to the board, but I know that, no matter what, it will never be the same.

And, don't think it will be so easy to find another administrator. Some of you may not know, or may have forgotten, but Erin was going to be replaced a few years back, when she quit her job with COTH to take another job. She and the other person were to be co-administrators for a while, while the new person learned the job. That attempt was a dismal failure and ended with Erin being hired by COTH solely as Administrator of the BB.

Lori
Dec. 3, 2007, 08:41 PM
Fiona.....

Classic!

Who does the stick art???............

Ambrey
Dec. 3, 2007, 09:06 PM
For heaven's sake.
I read that little green men were stealing ISPs and posting on the H/J forum with fake names but it ain't necessarily so.

zomg, I read that too! I dusted off my tinfoil hat just in case.

Velvet
Dec. 3, 2007, 09:09 PM
Boards like this should not allow their admins or moderators be active posters. They are there to enforce the rules and policies of the board. Nothing more.

I strongly agree with this. For good examples, go to other major boards that are NOT horse related and you'll see that no one knows who the moderators/adminstrators are and those people will step in and clean up messes. They don't associate with the posters. They are unknown. They remove posts, supspend and/or remove posters and generally just clean up when needed. They do not address the posters.

I really think that would be the best way to do things out here. Nameless and faceless adminstrators who just keep it legal and manage without emotion is what this board needs now. When the original moderators came on, this board was very different and much smaller. The internet was also not as busy, nor filled with as many garage gnomes. Ask Louise. It wasn't so bad in the beginning.

NOW, this board is too big and it should be run much more impersonally. A good example was the SciFi board, even back in the 80s and 90s. Now it's much more impersonal and patrolled mostly by search tools that locate posts that don't belong. No emotion. Just cutting out what doesn't fit the agreed upon rules. It would be more efficient and would not potentially cause the CoTH so many headaches. They have an agreement, they make cuts, they make no excuses and never join in the fray.

That's JMO. I know many disagree, but I still can't get over how large this board has become in such a relatively short time. It's too much for human moderators to handle alone, and to give attention to the individual posters who are just having a bad day.

It really sucks, but the big sites just can't afford the personal touch anymore--as this incident seems to prove. :no:

ESG
Dec. 3, 2007, 09:28 PM
That is actually incorrect.

I meant recent, Coreene - as in "I'm pi$$ed off enough to resign today" recent. :winkgrin:

I find it interesting, in her departing diatribe, that Erin enjoins us all to go out and take a walk, or pet our cats, or be concerned about what's going on in Darfur, etc, rather than take this BB so seriously. Pity that she didn't seem to be able to take her own advice. :no:

BarbB
Dec. 3, 2007, 09:34 PM
It really sucks, but the big sites just can't afford the personal touch anymore--as this incident seems to prove. :no:

That is really sad. I remember the day this board opened. We all came over from USCTA, where Jo was about to turn us out into the street, and it was VERY personal. I guess I still think of it that way, all evidence to the contrary. RIP COTH
I think the boards will continue but this is a turning point.
You can't go home again. :(

dutchmike
Dec. 3, 2007, 09:48 PM
These bb people seem to love drama. Geeeez

Ambrey
Dec. 3, 2007, 09:48 PM
Great question! "WHO HAS TIME FOR ALL OF THIS? Does anyone ride their horses? "

Often wonder that myself, some people are on boards 24/7. When do they ever ride. Do they even own a horse? Or do they just have a virtual horse?

I am flat on my back with broken collarbone, scapula, and L2 vertebrae- this is the closest I get to riding!

BarbB
Dec. 3, 2007, 09:50 PM
These bb people seem to love drama. Geeeez

If that was directed at me, I was just thinking outloud that I will miss posting here, I think it will be here, I think I am tired of the asshats.

dutchmike
Dec. 3, 2007, 09:54 PM
If that was directed at me, I was just thinking outloud that I will miss posting here, I think it will be here, I think I am tired of the asshats.

Nope ,not directed at any person in particular and at the same at everybody. There is a little problem that is blown way out of proportion and should be handled by the bb owner and who ever runs the darn board. Everybody butting in surely won't help

7HL
Dec. 3, 2007, 10:06 PM
I am flat on my back with broken collarbone, scapula, and L2 vertebrae- this is the closest I get to riding!

Been there. Not flat on my back but broken collar bone in three places. Green rider and green horse..... and big ego.:winkgrin:

That said, some put more effort into these discussion forums, then they do to living a real life instead of a virtual one.

Lets not forget the emotions on these boards, for some it is their life. Worse then soap operas.

GreekDressageQueen
Dec. 3, 2007, 10:43 PM
Ok here's the recap.

A small animal died.

The end.

That was the funniest shit (oops...I mean poopie) I have EVER read! Bravo :lol::lol::lol::lol:

GreekDressageQueen
Dec. 3, 2007, 10:46 PM

I ride my horses every morning before work. This is what I do when I'm AT work! :lol:

As for the small animal - I think it was someone's prairie dog.

Ambrey
Dec. 3, 2007, 11:29 PM
Been there. Not flat on my back but broken collar bone in three places. Green rider and green horse..... and big ego.:winkgrin:

I am NOT a green rider!

It was merely a momentary lapse in the proper frictional forces allowing my NOT GREEN butt to leave the saddle. It could have happened to anyone.

I wanted to get up, shake off the dust, and declare "I meant to do that!" but I believe instead I mumbled something about calling 911. :yes:

I am actually not sure what color they call those of us who know what to do but are too old and fat to make the muscles behave. Maybe i'm a chartreuse rider?:lol:

Coreene
Dec. 4, 2007, 01:58 AM
I meant recent, Coreene - as in "I'm pi$$ed off enough to resign today" recent. :winkgrin:

I find it interesting, in her departing diatribe, that Erin enjoins us all to go out and take a walk, or pet our cats, or be concerned about what's going on in Darfur, etc, rather than take this BB so seriously. Pity that she didn't seem to be able to take her own advice. :no:Yes, I know what you meant. And, again, you are incorrect in your assumption.

She resigned from moderating a BB. That's all. I am staggered at how much of a drama it has blown into.

chancellor2
Dec. 4, 2007, 08:30 AM
What's a matter? Not content with chasing BTR off of UDDB? Have you come over here to poke at her when you see her post?
:D My smiley is sincere - honest.

'twas Mark who chased her off for her bad behaviour and lying. Not me.

suzy
Dec. 4, 2007, 08:53 AM
Wouldn't they prefer to take them out with a trained sniper?

My favorite solution. Twisted minds do think alike. ;)

I agree with the others who suggested locking threads and throwing out people who cannot behave in a civilized fashion. It's really pretty simple. I also think that moderators should avoid getting into p***ing contests with unruly posters.

SillyHorse
Dec. 4, 2007, 09:09 AM
I am actually not sure what color they call those of us who know what to do but are too old and fat to make the muscles behave. Maybe i'm a chartreuse rider?:lol:
I believe our colors are black and blue. :lol:

Chief2
Dec. 4, 2007, 09:11 AM
Fiona, thank you! And take a bow! That was fantastic! :)
Now I think I finally understand the path of the trainwreak. The whole thread was to long and crazy for me to read, but I couldn't understand for the life of me why everyone was rocketing off about someone's prairie dog.

Posting Trot
Dec. 4, 2007, 09:27 AM
Do tell Chief2, about the prairie dog. I read the first 5 pages of that thread and my head hurt so I quit. But the prairie dog reference here mystified me (I clearly hadn't read far enough).

hitchinmygetalong
Dec. 4, 2007, 09:40 AM
Do tell Chief2, about the prairie dog. I read the first 5 pages of that thread and my head hurt so I quit. But the prairie dog reference here mystified me (I clearly hadn't read far enough).

The OP of the infamous "ciao" thread mentioned somewhere along the line that he/she was upset because his/her prairie dog (pet? rescue? rehab?) died, implying that was an appropriate excuse for bad-tempered posting. Erin came back with less than acceptable amount of back-patting and "there there honey" and OP called her out on it. Fur flew. One emerged unscathed. It was not the OP.

merrygoround
Dec. 4, 2007, 09:59 AM
I believe our colors are black and blue. :lol:

You can't have them.. I've owned them for over 12 years.!!!!!! :lol: :lol:

rutgerjan
Dec. 4, 2007, 10:43 AM
Theo, that's sooo sweet!

So can you explain your rationale for the BB wars? is it good for business? Where do you find the energy? How come you have the time?
Inquiring minds need to know it's nearly the end of the world - apparently.

Most of these BB-wars have their roots in the hughe difference between amateur riders/breeders/persons and professional riders/breeders/persons. These two groups live in a completely different world, and have total different viewpoints. For me it is always a pain in the *ss to hear people talking and see them posting all kind of nasty things about horses, riders and breeders which they hardly know. Let's take the recent Power and Paint discussion, because of some pictures Coby van Baalen is suddenly put in the RK/HF corner !? The truth is however that Coby is probably the only one in the Netherlands who is against rollkür/hyperflexion. Read my lips : I don't say that Coby is always very kind and friendly for her horses, but RK/HF NO... I have never seen it while I have more than 25 years of experience with her trainingmethods.

The time and energy to post on BB's I find in the 8-10 hours which I spend every day in listening to music for my cliënts and their horses or digitising my hughe collection of 25 years of videofilms and DVD's about dressage.

The redline however is that when you know the moderators of over 30 BB's you also know that Erin isn't that bad. Át least Erin showed to have some standards and education where many other mods can learn from.

Theo

medalrider
Dec. 4, 2007, 10:59 AM

In many forums they are - or at least the assistants are. IMO moderators should not be "regular" posters/members so they can keep their objectivity and stay detatched. You can not make unbiased decisions when you are part of the "herd."

If it made a difference in keeping the forum open, I'd volunteer to do it. I have over 35 years in the business, know message boards and while having been a member here for years don't post much and visit irregularly. **shrug** Easier to keep detached and moderate fairly and not get involved in the "histrionics" and personalities. [Not saying the current ones do/did - I personally have not paid attention to all the drama - that happens in EVERY forum.] Anyway, if it makes a difference in keeping it open you can throw my name in there. I know how helpful a knowledgable board can be to the general public.
Valerie

Mozart
Dec. 4, 2007, 11:05 AM
My favorite solution. Twisted minds do think alike. ;)

I agree with the others who suggested locking threads and throwing out people who cannot behave in a civilized fashion. It's really pretty simple. I also think that moderators should avoid getting into p***ing contests with unruly posters.

BING BING BING BING

Most sensible thing posted in days....

BornToRide
Dec. 4, 2007, 11:29 AM
'twas Mark who chased her off for her bad behaviour and lying. Not me. I have not lied, nor have I shown any bad behavior, unlike you, which is visible all over TOB. All people have to do, is look up some of my old threads.

I have more integrity than you and many of your followers together and it was I who was constantly chased around by you, like a rabid hyena stalking her prey for simply voicing my opinion that differed from yours and your like minded friends. Unfortunatley Mark listened to the wrong crowd as well, but then again, perhaps he's part of the wrong crowd due to mutual back scratching.

Yes chancellor, you are one very fine example of the human race. You must be very proud.

Velvet
Dec. 4, 2007, 11:36 AM
:lol: See, this is a prime example of the type of posts that need to be taken to the private message section. :lol:

rutgerjan
Dec. 4, 2007, 11:36 AM
Today I received an Email from the mod of TOB who calls himself bosshoss.

Since there is No parent guidance button, I will post the most decent part.

See why I will mis Erin and COTH.

Theo

Theo,

We really don’t care who you service and if they were a previous client of ours. If you are so busy making freestyles to music, then you shouldn’t have time to post on internet forums. Especially since you have been banned from two of them for your poor behavior. Your condescention and arrogance are not welcome, maybe you’ll figure this out. But sorry we don’t spend our days worrying about the freestyle to music services, unlike you, we actually have many other talents and don’t rely on just one thing to fee our chickens.

But you might want to be careful trying to continue your returns..pretty soon the big name riders will get tired of having their name and porn coupled together in google. I’ll make sure Theo van Bruggen gets the credit for that.
If I’m ever in your country, I will be sure to look you up personally..to choke your chicken neck!

Mark Susol

Velvet
Dec. 4, 2007, 11:42 AM
This why it needs to be run like a business, and become impersonal. The people in charge should act like grown ups and never take things personally. It's a JOB when you own or moderate/adminstrate a BB.

Canned, polite replies are all that's really required.

As I keep saying (over and over again in this topic), CoTH needs to hire a person to manage the BB and that person needs to be a good business manager and needs to set specific rules and guidlines and manage the board in an impersonal way (using automated tools to assist in the process).

It would probably create a more professional look for the board as well. You'll still have a bit of a free-for-all out here (that can never be avoided on the internet), but it would be much more impersonal and less about managing conflicts and more about automatic rules that delete topics/replies, and ban members for behavior that completely fits the rules. Nothing as subjective as it currently is--instead make it much more objective.

Kairoshorses
Dec. 4, 2007, 11:51 AM
Oh, God, Fiona. You have a talent. If you don't have your PhD, would you come to our program? We could use your skills. (I bet you have numchuk skills, too!). As an academic, you can work your classes around your horsey needs--you can even teach online. PM me for more info! :D

Ok here's the recap.

A small animal died.

The end.

BornToRide
Dec. 4, 2007, 11:51 AM
:lol: See, this is a prime example of the type of posts that need to be taken to the private message section. :lol: I disagree - It should be out in the open, so others can see what's going on and make up their own minds!

Mariequi
Dec. 4, 2007, 11:54 AM
Okay, been at convention. Can someone sum this up in a nutshell without reading through all posts?

AllWeatherGal
Dec. 4, 2007, 11:59 AM
I disagree - It should be out in the open, so others can see what's going on and make up their own minds!

Make up our minds about what? Who is going to truly have the last word? Who is the most disappointing poster in the world?

I'm in total agreement with Velvet. And it's not personal BTO. Ego-defending snarkiness really doesn't further legitimate discussion, debate, and information-sharing about the stated topics at hand: horses, their care, breeding, training, and competition (etc. etc.)

There are a number of posters who have terrific information to share, great stories to tell, but it all gets lost when readers cringe at the sight of their name.

petitefilly
Dec. 4, 2007, 12:00 PM
It's a JOB when you own or moderate/adminstrate a BB.

Canned, polite replies are all that's really required.

As I keep saying (over and over again in this topic), CoTH needs to hire a person to manage the BB and that person needs to be a good business manager and needs to set specific rules and guidlines and manage the board in an impersonal way (using automated tools to assist in the process).

MHO you are correct. I am surprised that it is not a *JOB* in which much of the day to day work is automated. :) Look at Ebay! Hell, you could not get a person on that site unless you had a gun and were at the CEO's office door. Everything is automated!!!

Not that the COTH boards should be that impersonal, but it does take awhile before heads are bashed that way. If you want a forum where ideas, and personalities are non moderated then you have to let the manure fly; since this is moderated, the day to day job of watching like Big Brother is too much of a personality clash on many days.

If you have a person there who malcontents can rile, or act like whining children, you will have clashes. Always. Moderators must be sick of stepping in like Mom and Dad. There are not enough hours in the day to be Mom and Dad to a Forum Board this large. I think Velvet is 100% correct.

knz66
Dec. 4, 2007, 12:00 PM
Sure people can speak their own minds, but then the majority of the people they are trying to speak to dont want to hear their dribble and have tried in every possible way to tell them politely to shut the h@ll up or take their dribble elsewhere, sometimes the only way to put an end to it is to be rude...

The mods warn and ban and sometimes that isnt even enough....

Alagirl
Dec. 4, 2007, 12:01 PM
Hmmm, impersonal and polite...

From what I gather the situation got very personal and impolite behind the scenes.

I guess the public end to it was necessary to put the events into context.

hitchinmygetalong
Dec. 4, 2007, 12:02 PM
Blame it on the H/J people!

Seriously, Marieque, someone posted on the H/J forum about how enraged she was that what was apparently an acquaintance had her name and address posted in the H/J "Hall of Shame" (which is gone, by the way).

A total pile-on ensued with Erin getting blasted from all sides.

She held her own most admirably but in the end threw her hands in the air and said (to paraphrase) "That's it. I've had enough!" And resigned.

Even though she asked that they stay (per an insider), all the other mods followed suit in a show of support.

If you look at the classified boards you will see that, with the lone exception of the Giveaways, they are all closed.

There are no moderators. No board administrator.

People were in a panic thinking it was the end of the COTH BB. Who knows, maybe it is. But quite frankly, if that makes someone's hair turn grey, they need to turn on the news and see some real tragedies.

Hope convention was less contentious! :)

Alagirl
Dec. 4, 2007, 12:10 PM
Okay, been at convention. Can someone sum this up in a nutshell without reading through all posts?

just skip back a couple of pages, you will find a rather large quote which is probably the best summation of the fluster cluck....

(and how come my firefox spellchecker doesn't flag fluster cluck :confused: :lol:)

hitchinmygetalong
Dec. 4, 2007, 12:14 PM
just skip back a couple of pages, you will find a rather large quote which is probably the best summation of the fluster cluck....

Actually, it doesn't really explain anything - it's total fiction. But if you prefer that version, have at it.

Steps for understanding the new COTH BB:

Light the fireplace
Put on some light jazz
Open a full-bodied red
Go to H/J
Read the "ciao" thread
Sit back and wonder at the absolute silliness
Move on

Alagirl
Dec. 4, 2007, 12:31 PM
roflmao....

Velvet
Dec. 4, 2007, 12:40 PM
Maybe they should also make a point of hiring a NON-horseperson to manage this behemoth. :yes:

Now THAT would be impersonal!

Padelu
Dec. 4, 2007, 12:46 PM
Can you just imagine a non-horseperson moderating here?

hitchinmygetalong
Dec. 4, 2007, 12:47 PM
They would run shrieking into the night at the first sheath-cleaning thread.

SuperOtto
Dec. 4, 2007, 12:52 PM
"There are no moderators. No board administrator."

SOMEBODY is moderating the board - there was a sales ad on this forum that was placed a little while ago, and it is gone now.

Velvet
Dec. 4, 2007, 01:41 PM
Maybe they've already gone "anonymous". :yes: :lol:

As for someone who is a non-horseperson managing this board, I'd also love to see them turn bright red when reading the discussions on issues related to male and female anatomy and how to sit comfortably when on a horse. Or even how to keep from chaffing in those areas. :lol:

monstrpony
Dec. 4, 2007, 01:48 PM
Actually, it doesn't really explain anything - it's total fiction. But if you prefer that version, have at it.

Steps for understanding the new COTH BB:

Light the fireplace
Put on some light jazz
Open a full-bodied red
Go to H/J
Read the "ciao" thread
Sit back and wonder at the absolute silliness
Move on

Yabbut ... THAT would be boring today. It would appear much of the juicy stuff has been removed. When I tried to find some good dirt yesterday, all I could find was talk about the dirt, but no actual dirt itself (or very little).

Maybe I just missed it, but there was a lot of the "about" and very little of the real thing.

Which is not a bad thing.

So, just sit back and enjoy the red, and then move on.

Alagirl
Dec. 4, 2007, 01:57 PM
They would run shrieking into the night at the first sheath-cleaning thread.

Not if you find an 20ish guy to do it! :D

suzy
Dec. 4, 2007, 02:26 PM
sometimes the only way to put an end to it is to be rude...

Actually, the best thing to do is ignore rather than being rude. Then let the moderators do their job of closing the thread, editing it, chastising the offending poster, or whatever they see fit. That is not OUR job.

knz66
Dec. 4, 2007, 02:32 PM
I do agree with you suzy, but what happens when that fails? :)

I'm sad that it got to this point with Erin, just due to a few others who had zero respect for this place.

isnt that what it comes down to? Respecting the rules and others???

hitchinmygetalong
Dec. 4, 2007, 02:34 PM
Actually, the best thing to do is ignore rather than being rude. Then let the moderators do their job of closing the thread, editing it, chastising the offending poster, or whatever they see fit. That is not OUR job.

Actually, the VERY best thing to do is hit the "post alert" icon, fill in the blanks, THEN ignore it. :)

How else is any human being supposed to police each and every thread on this board.

Someone's not playing fair? Post alert, ignore. Done!

suzy
Dec. 4, 2007, 02:44 PM
What hitchin said. That is definitely the best course of action.

Ambrey
Dec. 4, 2007, 02:56 PM
You can't have them.. I've owned them for over 12 years.!!!!!! :lol: :lol:

No, no, take them back!

I got the results of my cat scan today. Add "multiple rib fractures" and another compression fracture to the list. Why exactly did I get a horse again?

Maria
Dec. 4, 2007, 02:56 PM
Tell me now, are you all really buying in to whay hitch and suzy are saying?

Ambrey
Dec. 4, 2007, 03:11 PM
Someone's not playing fair? Post alert, ignore. Done!

I have no background with COTH, but do have moderation and bb background- this is so simplistic.

What about when you hit report and the mods do nothing? Do you quietly accept their decisioin? What if you really feel the mods are wrong? Do you just tell the mods, or do you air it for everyone?

Each person on a board is concerned with his/her own agenda, not the wellbeing of the board in general. It is unrealistic to expect otherwise- no board I have ever moderated or participated in went any period of time without a situation like this, where a poster felt wronged by the board or by the mods.

Mods have to deal with it, but it's a high burnout job. The mods on this board have lasted a loooong time, and they got to the point where the benefits of modding did not outweigh the costs. The length of time the lasted tells me they had some good ways of dealing with problems and reducing stress among themselves. Those who replace them should note that and not throw out the baby with the bathwater.

Erin sound like she was underpayed for the commitment expected of her- I'd hope COTH wou;d consider that. Otherwise, mod shedding is a normal BB process ant the board will survive it.

jester1113
Dec. 4, 2007, 03:16 PM
Tell me now, are you all really buying in to whay hitch and suzy are saying?

Not one bit. Admittedly, though, I do have a really low tolerance for stupidity.

But I think knz is talking about something else entirely! ;)

(Editing to say that I don't always adhere to what they're advising; whether or not they always do, I can't say)

hitchinmygetalong
Dec. 4, 2007, 03:18 PM
I have no background with COTH, but do have moderation and bb background- this is so simplistic.

Well, sometimes it *is* just that simple.

What about when you hit report and the mods do nothing? Do you quietly accept their decisioin?

It's happened. I figure it's their job, their decision. I just shrug my shoulders and move on.

What if you really feel the mods are wrong?

I move on to better things.

Do you just tell the mods, or do you air it for everyone?

I drop it. Not a difficult concept. And much better for your blood pressure. It's an Internet BULLETIN BOARD, not the United Nations.

Ambrey
Dec. 4, 2007, 04:10 PM
I drop it. Not a difficult concept. And much better for your blood pressure. It's an Internet BULLETIN BOARD, not the United Nations.

But on a large BB, not everyone is going to agree that this is the best way to deal with things. That's why mods need their flame retardant suits :)

hitchinmygetalong
Dec. 4, 2007, 04:41 PM
But on a large BB, not everyone is going to agree that this is the best way to deal with things. That's why mods need their flame retardant suits :)

On a large BB, not everyone is going to agree on a lot of things. The key is they shouldn't HAVE to.

The big people figure that out pretty quick and know when they are not going to change someone's mind. THAT is when you just walk away, rather than argue back and forth endlessly. So often people feel that they just have to have "the last word" when the best thing to do is just stop posting.

Case in point: Classical vs. Competitive --- need I say more?

BornToRide
Dec. 4, 2007, 05:09 PM
Yes, we should be able to agree to disagree, but without becoming snarky, rude, disrespectful and calling others names. And if you ask for advise and don't like some of what you are getting, then you really have already made up your mind anyway, so why bother

Velvet
Dec. 4, 2007, 05:14 PM
On a large BB, not everyone is going to agree on a lot of things. The key is they shouldn't HAVE to.

This is why this next time around they need adminstrators that do not participate in the conversations, nor get emotionally involved in the topics/issues at hand.

JMO

BornToRide
Dec. 4, 2007, 05:15 PM
Not one bit. Admittedly, though, I do have a really low tolerance for stupidity.

But I think knz is talking about something else entirely! ;)

(Editing to say that I don't always adhere to what they're advising; whether or not they always do, I can't say) Ahhh, another fine example as to why Erin resigned....should I highlight the word stupidity or is it obvious enough to everyone? You appear to have a very low opinion of anyone who disagrees with yours and it shows.

BridalBridle
Dec. 4, 2007, 05:16 PM
I see we are all on our 2nd day of good behavior unless I missed something. I think that change is good and it was time for a change. Bob Banner is the greatest. :yes::yes:
I'll keep track and see if we can play well in the sand box for a while. I think we're very capable of it.:D:D
I love this site and hope we all can keep learning from it.:):)

AlexMakowski
Dec. 4, 2007, 05:57 PM
I have been away with classes for a few weeks. Could someone PM me and let me know what is going on or foward me the like to the thread as to why Erin is resigning? If thats out of place to ask I understand. Thanks.

Mariequi
Dec. 4, 2007, 06:04 PM
I'm at a loss, too. Gee, you go to convention and...

Alagirl
Dec. 4, 2007, 06:17 PM
Ahhh, another fine example as to why Erin resigned....should I highlight the word stupidity or is it obvious enough to everyone? You appear to have a very low opinion of anyone who disagrees with yours and it shows.

Awe, come on....everybody is stupid some times or another...just...some are more stupid more often! ;)

jester1113
Dec. 4, 2007, 06:45 PM
Ahhh, another fine example as to why Erin resigned....should I highlight the word stupidity or is it obvious enough to everyone? You appear to have a very low opinion of anyone who disagrees with yours and it shows.

What on earth makes you think I was talking about you?

DancingQueen
Dec. 4, 2007, 10:48 PM
May be completely off topic here since I didn't read the last 6 pages...

Long story short,
I'm a member of a swedish site that also exists in the us, popularly referred to as BP. At the swedish forum there was at one point a lot of snarkiness that developed into serious drama and a mudslinging contest of biblical proportions. He said/she said and he did/she did reached playground levels but the language used was of very adult nature. Some people were eventually banned and subsequently started their own site called BF.

BF was Eldorado. The one site where free speech ruled as it was opened and available but not monitored for context at all. Anything and everything was OK to say, the site flourished and grew as the people were longing to express their feelings in shorter and shorter words.

Within a short period of time most sensitive members ceased to post at they were cut by the knees by more outspoken senior participants. As weeks turned to months even the angriest of the bunch grew tired of the f-word and the c-word. Eldorado on the net was in the same way as written by Voltaire, a disappointment to all.

As it turns out, there's only so many ways you can completely dismember somebody else with words before they loose interest and you run out of things to say. Hence this site, the only place where anyone could say what they wanted, when they wanted and in whatever way they wanted has died of starvation before it's second birthday.

Moral of this true story is that free speech is a responsibility rather then a right and since we aren't all mature enough to treat it as such we need guidance in order not to hurt or disgust others.

I love this forum because it is mostly clean. People like me that are still shy, even behind the screen, knows that other friendly well meaning members are not discouraged from hanging out here, interacting with me and giving me their sincere opinion, by internet bullies.

More power to you admin. Peace out!/M

Sabine
Dec. 5, 2007, 02:34 AM
WOW- Dancing Queen- I stayed out of this mess deliberately- it is too complicated to even say a word- but what you said was so spoton.!!!

Freedom of Speech is a Responsibility- and requires a minimum amount of intelligence (my version)...thank you!!!

I hope very much this will prevail and in the end those that like to disturb will find us all so very boring- that it's not worth their negative energy to become involved. To me this board is about information and furthering each others knowledge by networking. There is a lot of good training advice here- for free! There is a lot of commonsense direction here- for free!!

All that want to ride - enjoy that fact- as you can save $$ and grow your experience for free.
Those who have an issue with their ego- live vicariously through their unborn Florencio Baby- go somewhere else or at least go to the breeding forum.....:( and leave us DQs alone already...yuck all this bother for nothing...(raises eyebrows and sniffs pointedly...)

suzy
Dec. 5, 2007, 08:27 AM
What on earth makes you think I was talking about you?

Born to Ride, she was talking about Hitchin and me, so quit trying to steal our thunder, wouldya? :lol:

fiona
Dec. 5, 2007, 05:30 PM
Oh, God, Fiona. You have a talent. If you don't have your PhD, would you come to our program? We could use your skills. (I bet you have numchuk skills, too!). As an academic, you can work your classes around your horsey needs--you can even teach online. PM me for more info! :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiona http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum/showthread.php?p=2843712#post2843712)
Ok here's the recap.

A small animal died.

The end.

Hitchan'getalong of course it's a work of fiction and explains nothing! Do you honestly think i could be bothered reading, disecting and analysing the insane rantings of some eejits that can't seperate first life from real life?
To the people that got the joke you're very welcome i'm only here for the humour and occasionally a small nugget of information.
All job offers welcomed and grovellingly accepted. Seriously. Have numchucks will travel.
Theo thanks for the explanation but give it up the fight is not elegant on either side.

suzy
Dec. 6, 2007, 08:58 AM
I come here to grovel at Fiona's feat (and feet) and collect material for my great American novel, Of course, no need to mention that much of the material is coming from a limey. ;)

fiona
Dec. 6, 2007, 10:00 AM
Oh, were you grovelling? I thought that was fawning.... so many postulants sooo much to learn.
Grovel on! You're terribly convincing.

hitchinmygetalong
Dec. 6, 2007, 10:05 AM
Hitchan'getalong of course it's a work of fiction and explains nothing! Do you honestly think i could be bothered reading, disecting and analysing the insane rantings of some eejits that can't seperate first life from real life?
To the people that got the joke you're very welcome i'm only here for the humour and occasionally a small nugget of information.
All job offers welcomed and grovellingly accepted. Seriously. Have numchucks will travel.
Theo thanks for the explanation but give it up the fight is not elegant on either side.

I know it was a joke. I "got" it.

But someone was seriously asking what happened. Though your version is certainly amusing, it wasn't answering their question.

fiona
Dec. 6, 2007, 10:20 AM
I couldn't possibly answer a serious question because i have no idea why anyone would take a fight public on a bulletin board or fail to agree to disagree on a subject and maintain a sense of perspective and good humour.
Plus which i only read the interesting fun stuff.

egontoast
Dec. 6, 2007, 10:45 AM
.... so many postulants sooo much to learn.

'postulants'? :confused: , surely it's pustulance or pestilence at the very least.

I can't help it. Every time I see the title of this thread I think

My Lord, the peasants are revolting!

Oh please, knave, that's a little harsh. True, some are inbred and have poor fashion sense but ' revolting?' , hardly.

fiona
Dec. 6, 2007, 10:59 AM
'postulants'? :confused: , surely it's pustulance or pestilence at the very least.

Postulant - candidate for for holy orders or admission to religious community.
Sharpen up Suzy's back and you're going to have to keep up.
In your case putrescent would do.

egontoast
Dec. 6, 2007, 11:11 AM
WHAT? I can't worry about that ODG, suzy. I am too busy being pubescent. BTW suzy, your email isn't working or is that intentional?

pubescence
1. The quality or state (http://www.biology-online.org/dictionary/State) of being (http://www.biology-online.org/dictionary/Being) pubescent (http://www.biology-online.org/dictionary/Pubescent), or of having arrived at puberty (http://www.biology-online.org/dictionary/Puberty).
2. A covering (http://www.biology-online.org/dictionary/Covering) of soft short (http://www.biology-online.org/dictionary/Short) hairs (http://www.biology-online.org/dictionary/Hairs), or down (http://www.biology-online.org/dictionary/Down), as one some plants (http://www.biology-online.org/dictionary/Plants) and insects (http://www.biology-online.org/dictionary/Insects); also, the state (http://www.biology-online.org/dictionary/State) of being (http://www.biology-online.org/dictionary/Being) so covered.
Origin: Cf. F. Pubescence. The time of life when sex glands become functional.
Retrieved from "http://www.biology-online.org/dictionary/Pubescence (http://www.biology-online.org/dictionary/Pubescence)"
This page has been accessed 2,859 times. This page was last modified 21:16, 3 October 2005.

fiona
Dec. 6, 2007, 11:24 AM
BTW suzy, your email isn't working or is that intentional?

Bwah Hahahahahahahahahah!.
Try pugnacious. It'll be in your online dictionary for people who can't work a book on account of it being too complicated.

Bluey
Dec. 6, 2007, 11:29 AM
Remember that we are guests here?

Lets mind our manners, please and try to avoid the insults, no matter how creatively worded.:eek:

LD1129
Dec. 6, 2007, 11:33 AM
wow I just finished wading through everything and wow! This is what I get for taking a few weeks off of the BB cause of a busy life.

Your damned if you do, damned if you don't. Either way this all plays out no one is gonna end up happy in the end. :sigh:

suzy
Dec. 6, 2007, 11:37 AM
Don't worry Bluey--Egon, Fiona, and I have a long and tortured (just kidding) history. This is not insulting to us in the least. ;)

Eggy, I'm not sure why my email isn't working. It hasn't changed... just my name at dartmouth dot edu

egontoast
Dec. 6, 2007, 11:42 AM
Oh suzy I had something else ancient and obsolete no doubt (like my admirers). Will PM some creative insults:)

fiona
Dec. 6, 2007, 11:57 AM
I refute all allegations of torture.
Apart from that one time, but really 5 judges for one test?! They deserved it.

suzy
Dec. 6, 2007, 01:11 PM
Relax Fiona, I'm FedExing the Prosac as we speak, and you'll have it by 3 pm EST today, which means you're on your own for about another 7 hours. ;) Why don't you just back away from your computer and go have a nice glass of wine while you wait for the cute FedEx guy to come calling.

HeyYouNags
Dec. 6, 2007, 02:25 PM
Relax Fiona, I'm FedExing the Prosac as we speak.

Fiona, if she's mailing you Prosac I'd be very careful of taking it - it might be one of those Chinese Prozac knock-offs, and you'd wind up with lead poisoning, plus not feeling the least bit relaxed.

fiona
Dec. 6, 2007, 02:57 PM
Yeah, just like all those times before.
She hasn't been "away" or "busy at work" if you know what i mean.

suzy
Dec. 6, 2007, 03:45 PM
HeyYouNags, I'm so glad you showed up to play. One more to kick sand at. Now, we just have to find Velvet! [evil cackle]

HeyYouNags
Dec. 6, 2007, 04:28 PM
Play, suzy? You think I play? Heavens, riding is far too serious for such frivolity. Shirley I don't jest.

Baby back ribs, anyone?

Alagirl
Dec. 6, 2007, 04:32 PM
Play, suzy? You think I play? Heavens, riding is far too serious for such frivolity. Shirley I don't jest.

Baby back ribs, anyone?

Tender baby I hope?!

Velvet
Dec. 7, 2007, 12:14 AM
HYNs, I told you before, stop calling me Shirley! Oh, wait, were you calling suzy "Shirley"? In that case, please continue.

suzy want's to kick sand. That's so boring. A long time ago we had moved on to mud wrestling, I think that was considered much more exciting. Well, it WAS, now we're all a few years older (and no wiser) so I'm guessing it's not as much fun to watch.

fiona
Dec. 7, 2007, 02:50 AM
Mud wrestling is so last year Mud slingling is where it's at. Apparently.

Hazelnut
Dec. 7, 2007, 05:59 AM
Very well spoken.

Moderation in all things!;)

May be completely off topic here since I didn't read the last 6 pages...

Long story short,
I'm a member of a swedish site that also exists in the us, popularly referred to as BP. At the swedish forum there was at one point a lot of snarkiness that developed into serious drama and a mudslinging contest of biblical proportions. He said/she said and he did/she did reached playground levels but the language used was of very adult nature. Some people were eventually banned and subsequently started their own site called BF.

BF was Eldorado. The one site where free speech ruled as it was opened and available but not monitored for context at all. Anything and everything was OK to say, the site flourished and grew as the people were longing to express their feelings in shorter and shorter words.

Within a short period of time most sensitive members ceased to post at they were cut by the knees by more outspoken senior participants. As weeks turned to months even the angriest of the bunch grew tired of the f-word and the c-word. Eldorado on the net was in the same way as written by Voltaire, a disappointment to all.

As it turns out, there's only so many ways you can completely dismember somebody else with words before they loose interest and you run out of things to say. Hence this site, the only place where anyone could say what they wanted, when they wanted and in whatever way they wanted has died of starvation before it's second birthday.

Moral of this true story is that free speech is a responsibility rather then a right and since we aren't all mature enough to treat it as such we need guidance in order not to hurt or disgust others.

I love this forum because it is mostly clean. People like me that are still shy, even behind the screen, knows that other friendly well meaning members are not discouraged from hanging out here, interacting with me and giving me their sincere opinion, by internet bullies.

A Horse of Course
Dec. 7, 2007, 04:12 PM

While I understand your message is pointed at moderating internet BBs. And I think moderating this BB is definitely helpful, next time around I hope it's done in less personal, emotional way, and in a more formal, professional, robot type way. I think that would prevent a lot of emotional fires from starting.

But that sentence I quoted above just sets off a red light in my Libertarian brain.
I'm fine with private businesses and organizations censoring speech of their employees/participants, but not the government and that is why we need to keep calling it a right.
That's too much power given to an organization that has the monopoly of rule over everyone.
Sooo I'm going to keep calling it a right. I would like to keep the Bill of Rights from changing as I don't feel like giving up that freedom...if I did I would move to say, Sudan.

Alagirl
Dec. 7, 2007, 04:42 PM
Well, we might call it a right, but truthfully, it's a privilege.

And of course it's challenged when it's needed most.

Even if it is a right, it entails a responsibility. Not everything has to be said at all times and at all cost. :cool:

A Horse of Course
Dec. 7, 2007, 05:15 PM
A privilege?!? Given by who??

I guess, inalienable rights that we are born with is passé now?

I completely agree for one to be responsible. I hold personal responsibility in high regard.

But that has nothing to do with freedom of speech being a right.

Alagirl
Dec. 7, 2007, 05:23 PM
A privilege?!? Given by who??

I guess, inalienable rights that we are born with is passé now?

I completely agree for one to be responsible. I hold personal responsibility in high regard.

But that has nothing to do with freedom of speech being a right.

You are spoiled, Hon! Look a round and you will see it's indeed a privilege, to a very few nations that allow their citizens to speak their minds. It is far from the norm.

A Horse of Course
Dec. 7, 2007, 05:43 PM
Ah, see I look at that as an inalienable right that has been taken away.

And I agree it seems to be far from the norm to not have that right taken away. That's why I'm so touchy about it being called a right...not a privilege or anything else.

Alagirl
Dec. 7, 2007, 06:44 PM
Ah, see I look at that as an inalienable right that has been taken away.

And I agree it seems to be far from the norm to not have that right taken away. That's why I'm so touchy about it being called a right...not a privilege or anything else.

Well, in the last 7 years there has been a lot of chipping away been going on...but that's a story for another day and another place. :)

A Horse of Course
Dec. 7, 2007, 07:05 PM
I agree.

San Miranda
Dec. 7, 2007, 09:09 PM
Some times when I visit this board it is like walking into my year 9 class where the different little clicks are interacting. In one corner there are 3 girls bitching about another who is hiding in another corner vandalizing a desk in her anger. While the boys are throwing objects into the ceiling plans to see who they can knock out. Another one is ducking under the desk whispering into his mobile phone.... it just goes on.

So I just sigh, walk in, turn off the fans, restate the rules about mobile phones, separate the girls and calm everyone down which, after I have achieved that, I have about 15 mins left to teach them the current science topic that we are on.

The one thing about my year nines is That THEY will GROW up!!! (or they might just graduate to this board)

I think with BB's you will always have problems as long as people can hide behind their screen names.

Maybe we can all make a new years reso and promise to not put another person down so every one feels safe to post their questions and ideas without the fear of been 'picked on'

Anyway just an idea

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year
and Good Will to all
Kylie