PDA

View Full Version : Please Jingle for Annikak and Taco

mademoiselle
Nov. 28, 2007, 06:40 PM
Annikak will probably chime in and give you all the details, but Taco had to have surgery today and in a total Taco's fashion way, he had a very scary after surgery episode.

So, please everybody jingle for Annika, she is having a very bad year with Taco and the Roller Coaster continues more than ever.

I'm thinking about you, hang in there Annika:(

asterix
Nov. 28, 2007, 07:02 PM
oh, no, jingling away; They've had the TOUGHEST year and I know what a huge spot Taco has in her heart...

FlightCheck
Nov. 28, 2007, 07:06 PM
jingle jingle jingle

from

Cyndi and the FatPaintMare

buschkn
Nov. 28, 2007, 07:15 PM
"JIANT" JINGLES from KY!!

Lori T
Nov. 28, 2007, 07:19 PM
Oh, no. Sending loud jingles from Florida.

EventingDreams
Nov. 28, 2007, 07:26 PM
Hang in there Annika and Taco:( MME gave me a little update this evening. So sorry to hear the newest troubles. Here's to hoping the big man has a good and restful evening and starts feeling better. Lots of jingles from us!

deltawave
Nov. 28, 2007, 07:38 PM
Sending big hugs and jingles for Annika and her special horse. :yes:

fargonefarm
Nov. 28, 2007, 07:53 PM
Huge jingles from me!!! Hang in there Annika - you're a really good mom and Taco knows that you love him ;)

LAZ
Nov. 28, 2007, 07:54 PM
Jingles from Indiana, and hoping that Taco gives you an easier year in 2008! For such a nice guy he sure has a way of keeping your stomach in knots!

pinkdiamondracing
Nov. 28, 2007, 07:56 PM
jingle jingle jingle

FoxChaser
Nov. 28, 2007, 07:59 PM
Jingles from Kentucky!!!!!! You all have been through so much this year :(

Jazzy Lady
Nov. 28, 2007, 08:03 PM
jingles from Ontario!!!!!

Tiempo
Nov. 28, 2007, 08:04 PM
Shit. Poor Annika and poor Taco.

I'll PM her, but she may be too busy to come on, Mme, if you speak to her please tell her to call me if she needs anything.

I'll try giving her a call too.

Alison

annikak
Nov. 28, 2007, 09:00 PM
Thanks, everyone-
LONG day!
So in the shortest way possible, Taco’s uveitis has not gotten any better over time. He has had quite a few flairs since his surgery in Aug, and numerous ulcers, and including today, 2 that have developed into abscesses. Taco’s case has been somewhat different in that it has presented in the back of his eye, rather then the front. There is a surgery that has been pioneered in Germany that we think may work on Taco, since his uveitis presents much like the cases seen there. FWIW, his titers (drawn twice and sent to Cornell) have been negative for Lepto. What they do is remove the vitreal fluid in the back of his eye. It has never been done at MSU, and only done at LSU as far as they know. It may have been done at NC, but no one is sure.

Scary? you bet. But we are at that point. His body is having trouble with the NSAIDs (per blood work) He is getting eye meds 4 x day, and is difficult about it with strangers-his mom taught him well…STRANGER DANGER! :lol:

So, we decided to go ahead.

The surgery was a success. He sailed thru with flying colors. Every risk that could have happened in Surgery did not happen, his eye looked great.

But ya gotta stand up. And that did not go so well. Time line – Under at 9:15. In recovery at 11:45. Finally up at 1:50. That was with ropes. He could not walk and his eyes were doing that back and forth thing. Poor horse, his ears were trying to keep up. Still doing the same thing 1 ½ hrs later. Began to flood him with fluids- they thought it might have been a reaction to the lidocaine. All of a sudden, it stopped. The decision was to get him to his stall ASAP. Good Decision!

That was one long walk! Once we got him to his stall (its now 3:45) he has the first of several small seizures. Again, no idea why, but the decision is to flood him with fluids, so he has now had 25 lts. They turn off the lights, and plug his ears, have someone at this head and side to steady him. I think every vet was in there at some point in time…

He is in fantastic hands, I feel good about that. I think he will be okay- I left at about 5:30 and he was munching on a handful of hay. His “good” eye was some what slow to respond to stimuli but otherwise he looked good, I think. I adore his vets- Drs Wilson and Townsend are just amazing women, and super vets that have gone above and beyond.

They tell me they have never seen a horse do this before (thanks, Taco) and that before I ever think of putting him under general again we need to make sure everyone knows this happened. It was scary, both for him and for the vets (okay, me too, but I had the easy job)

Debbie
Nov. 28, 2007, 09:07 PM
Jingles for Taco and huge hugs to you Annikak. He never makes it easy, and he sure found his way to the best Mom in the world for him! Hope he recovers with no more oddities.

sofiethewonderhorse
Nov. 28, 2007, 09:13 PM
Jingles from Oregon Annika...very scary event!

Kathryn

tuppysmom
Nov. 28, 2007, 09:35 PM
Jingles from Idaho too!

Pocket Pony
Nov. 28, 2007, 09:42 PM
Yikes - jingles for you and Taco! That horse . . . he just has . . . his way! ;)

bambam
Nov. 28, 2007, 09:44 PM
Geez- you guys cannot catch a break can you
jingling hard for you and Taco

mbj
Nov. 28, 2007, 09:56 PM
jingling like crazy
there was someone else who posted this fall about a horse not getting up after anesthesia--lost control of hind end I think.

FlightCheck
Nov. 28, 2007, 10:01 PM
wow - what a fascinating case - so sorry it has to be Taco!

More jingles and hugs from Cyndi and the FatPaintMare

KBG Eventer
Nov. 28, 2007, 10:06 PM
Jingles from TN!!!!!!!

Tiempo
Nov. 28, 2007, 10:11 PM
Jeez Annika, that boy really likes to put you through the wringer doesn't he? :no:

I'm excited that you got the surgery done though, and hope that it works well.

Seems Taco and I have something in common, I've deveoped a bad reaction to lidocaine, can't use the stuff, the last time scared me and my endodontist half to death.:eek:

Massive jingles,

A

slp2
Nov. 28, 2007, 10:23 PM
Jingling for Taco!! :eek: That must have been so scary when he wasn't getting up. I remember being at MSU (for a friends horse) and there was this poor horse that had colic surgery that morning. That night at 9 pm--the poor guy still hadn't gotten up. The owner was still sitting with him--my heart went out to her. The next day I asked about him (almost afraid to hear) but it turns out he finally got up. I didn't know the horse or owner--but I was so happy to hear it turned out alright. I'm sure that owner had a years worth of stress during those long hours of waiting.

Here's hoping that the rest of Taco's healing is completely uneventful. :yes:

McVillesMom
Nov. 28, 2007, 10:29 PM
Wow, very scary! I hope he does well from here on out - I'll be thinking of you both! :)

RAyers
Nov. 28, 2007, 11:03 PM
I guess we need a "2007: The Year the Sucked" party at some point. Perhaps belatedly at Maui Jim?

My fingers are crossed for you two!!!

Reed

hey101
Nov. 28, 2007, 11:28 PM
Annika, jingling hard for you and Taco!

BigRuss1996
Nov. 29, 2007, 12:10 AM
Jingles for Taco....
I have one who doesn't do anethesia and it isn't fun. Sounds like your guy is in good hands.... keep us posted.

Bensmom
Nov. 29, 2007, 01:03 AM
Super jingles from me and the Monster here in Florida. Geez, Taco has to go above and beyond to scare and torture his mom, doesn't he?

Please keep us updated on how the recovery goes and we'll hope that the rest of it is uneventful!

libby & the Buzz Monster

AppJumpr08
Nov. 29, 2007, 08:04 AM
Oh Wow...that just sounds so scary.

Annika I'm jingling for a fast recovery! And sending hugs to you as well :)

annikak
Nov. 29, 2007, 08:11 AM
wow - what a fascinating case - so sorry it has to be Taco!

I so don't like that--- really don't. I think they(vets) think it, too. What I can say with all honestly is...I am glad someone else had to deal with it. Its usually me, and I *hate* people that say.."Oh, my spethial spethail horthy needs such spethial spethail attention" and here I get to watch them deal with it, and tell me he is "special needs". I think when I warn people he is not the norm, they place me with those nutty horse owners. I swear, I am only as nuts as the next horse owner!:D

It is what gives Reason (the colt) such kudos with me- he just keeps saying NO to anything that is special. He is NORMAL! (which is indeed, Special;))

monstrpony
Nov. 29, 2007, 08:38 AM
You are certainly put through the wringer with this horse. It's wonderful that you have done so much for him, but both of you are serioulsly overdue for a break, already!!

Jingles continue--

kookicat
Nov. 29, 2007, 08:42 AM
Sending loads of jingles and hugs!!

scubed
Nov. 29, 2007, 08:43 AM
lots of jingles. Only Taco would sail through experimental surgery and then provide new experiences for vet school vets

Ishi
Nov. 29, 2007, 08:54 AM
More jingles from me, I hope he continues to do well!

Laurel&HollyFarm
Nov. 29, 2007, 09:06 AM
Boy Annika there is never a dull moment around Taco. Lucky he's such a fantastic horse. Jingling that everything continues to improve.

Terry

BBowen
Nov. 29, 2007, 10:57 AM
Yikes, what a harrowing day. Poor Taco. You have to be mentally and physically exhausted. Hugs for you and jingles and prayers for Taco. Hope his recovery is uneventful from now on.

Auburn
Nov. 29, 2007, 07:11 PM
Jingling in KY. Auburn

fooler
Nov. 29, 2007, 07:33 PM
Jingles and prayers!!

RunForIt
Nov. 29, 2007, 10:04 PM
it's definitely time to write your book...whew! :)

Lynda

4Martini
Nov. 29, 2007, 10:25 PM
Jingles for Taco!

mademoiselle
Nov. 29, 2007, 10:50 PM
it's definitely time to write your book...whew! :)

Lynda

Yes, I think Annika could almost become a vet without going to school. With Taco she has probably seen everything and even more than that.:)

From the last update I got, Taco had a very boring and uneventful day today (yeahhhhh:)).
So keep jinggling it's working. And It's helping Annika to cope too;)

frugalannie
Nov. 29, 2007, 11:02 PM
Oh dear Anika, I just saw this! (Mr. Frugal had to have some minor surgery today: he was able to stand with no complications post-op, Thanks Gott in Himmel, but I was tied up with him.)

My heart is aching for you. You have been the very best mother to Taco (and Reason and every other horse in your care), but he keeps being the one-in-a-million exceptional horse. From your post, it sounds like cautious, slight optimism might be warranted. Am I reading correctly?

So I'm going to keep jingling and hoping that everything else that he does is just plain, vanilla NORMAL!

AllyCat
Nov. 30, 2007, 03:06 AM
So sorry to hear all this Annika. Glad to hear he is up and we are jingling like mad for both of you! I was scared to shaking when Question didn't get up after eye surgery a couple weeks ago, but it was nothing like what you had to go through.

Please keep us posted on your wonderful horse's progress!

annikak
Nov. 30, 2007, 07:20 AM
I don't know what I would have done with out the COTH BB- I lean really hard on you guys! (Plus, I never would have met MME, and that begins a whole 'nuther thread!)

So, yesterday was OK. He seems OK in the neuro dept, which is good and does mean it was probably the drugs. I had dreams abt that last night. Must have been awful for him.

His eye- I think FA said it well, that there is cautious hope that this may have worked. There is expected inflammation, and some unexpected clotting that they will work on today by injecting his eye with a clot-busting drug. I will head up there soon to be with him. They are going to avoid putting him under totally, so hope to do this standing. That's the plan.

So loaded with Carrots and treats and a book I am heading up there. This weekend is supposed to bring horrid storms to the area, so I might not get there after Sat. I will keep you posted, and thanks for caring:sadsmile:

AppJumpr08
Nov. 30, 2007, 07:38 AM
Jingles that today's procedure goes well!! If he can make things a bit more complicated, he will, eh?

More hugs... :)

And may I add, that Mr. Reason is just beautiful!! I hadn't checked his pictures for a bit, and you really have done wonders with him! Both of your boys are so lucky to have you (and I'll keep my fingers crossed the Reason stays easy to deal with! :winkgrin:)

Laurel&HollyFarm
Nov. 30, 2007, 08:21 AM
Hope the procedure goes well today :yes:

annikak
Nov. 30, 2007, 10:00 PM
Hi all-
Taco had a pretty good day today- I saw him for abt 2 hrs, groomed him and sat in his stall with the latest and greatest People Mag for me, and carrots for him!

He looks like he got into a hellofa bar fight, but the eye still looks good- good enough that they did not inject his eye today, but elected to wait and see. I like that plan! :D He seems none the worse for wear after Wed scare. As one vet said..." He scared the hell out of us" so that is good he seems fine now. But, as far as general goes again, I might think twice.

I have to say that the vets are amazing. I have never met such a kind and caring bunch of people- every one seems so vested in Taco doing well- it almost makes me feel bad. I know things can go wrong, but don't want them to feel bad if they do. I know he is getting the best of care- which is a great feeling.

Yes, this has been a tough year, but I am very thankful to have met some amazing people, both in the real world, and in my little cyber family world.

Thank you all.:sadsmile:

Laurel&HollyFarm
Nov. 30, 2007, 10:18 PM
Yeah so glad things are going better. It is great to have good vets and good people around.

I will never forget when Mr. Bob was so sick the extra things the vets and assistants did to make him better.

Mr. Bob sends jingles to his old stable buddy Taco. Bob probably wishes he was still in your barn as he got his less favorite things done to him last weekend . . . body clip . . . mane pull :eek:. Mom what are you thinking :eek:.

Jingles from Bill and I as well. Taco please get better.

annikak
Dec. 1, 2007, 09:12 AM
last night not so good- something has happened, and they are D/C his eye meds in hopes that the eye will fill back with fluid. Something leaked or the infective process has begun, or...or...or....

He stopped eating, but they got him to start again by doing small amounts every hour so that is good.

I am going to meet her there today at 4:30, and we will make some sort of game plan. Dr T sounded okay still- which is good. I am going to make Taco Goodie Bags and hope he cont. to eat with those added (Beep, Rice Bran and hay cubes- oh good!)

I will update tonight. Thanks, all

Laurel&HollyFarm
Dec. 1, 2007, 09:19 AM
<<<<<jingles>>>>>>> for Taco

and

<<<<<hugs>>>>>>>> to you.

I will say a special prayer as Bob and I ride by your place in Tryon today.

Terry

deltawave
Dec. 1, 2007, 09:20 AM
Oy, Annika, I'm getting a whiplash with all of these roller coaster moves! :(

Jingling some more for poor Taco.

jetandmegs4
Dec. 1, 2007, 10:12 AM
Jingles to you and your horse.

eventerwannabe
Dec. 1, 2007, 12:51 PM
Sending jingles to you and Taco!!

Hannahsmom
Dec. 1, 2007, 05:24 PM
I just saw this thread Annika as I have been having a bad week too. Not with Deke fortunately. Deke, Hannah and I send jingles to you and Taco! Many hugs too.

Go Time
Dec. 1, 2007, 05:32 PM
I just saw this as well. So sorry you are going through all of this.
Me and the boys are thinking of you and yours.
Hope tonight things are looking up.

Gosh, it looks like your getting some nasty weather too.
Be safe. Hugs to you.

bornfreenowexpensive
Dec. 1, 2007, 07:06 PM
sending jingles....sorry for the tough year and hope it turns around soon. ....if anyone can find you some four leaf clovers to feed him...hope that they can send them you way. I'll look but I think all ours are gone until spring.

annikak
Dec. 1, 2007, 08:39 PM
I really don't have anything to tell you all, as I went there, he brightened up and ate again, which I guess its somewhat of an issue...which is strange for him, but oh well and his eye, well, it looks retched, but according to the vets, they are going to hold on and wait and see until tomorrow AM. (trying to sound like Michael Korda...;) see that thread on off course)

The weather here is yucky- sleet and ice and mushy yet slippery ice. So, getting there tomorrow may be an issue. It's about 1 hr 15min on a good day. Boy, that guy loves his carrots!

Tiempo
Dec. 1, 2007, 08:50 PM
Annika..still thinking of you guys, drive safely tomorrow, it's horrible out there and your boy needs you :winkgrin:

RunForIt
Dec. 1, 2007, 08:58 PM
:winkgrin: I BELIEVE - and so does Taco - in CARROTS! But sleet and ice are not a nice mix for this nice veggie - stay home, recoup, take carrots when its safe - THEN LEAVE some with the sweet vet students/others doing "taco watch"...truly, leave the damn carrots, Taco will do better if he has them.

eat some yourself.

please, take care,
Lynda

frugalannie
Dec. 1, 2007, 09:13 PM
Jingling, jingling, jingling and keeping you and Taco in my thoughts and prayers.

Hang in there Annika. Taco, get hungry without your Mom babysitting you.

Laurel&HollyFarm
Dec. 1, 2007, 09:15 PM
On the good front, I was by your Tryon property today and Jaz is doing a fabulous job of keeping everything looking really nice.

We were . . . God help Taco . . . God help Taco . . all the way around the pasture. Please let him be ok.

Hugs to you and major jingles to Taco.

Terry

One Star
Dec. 2, 2007, 12:01 PM
Crikey, Annika, you and Taco need to get off this ride RIGHT NOW!!!

Seriously, the Teacup ride at Disney is much more manageable, without all these highs and lows...

Sending healing vibes and turbo-charged wishes for the best possible outcome.

FlightCheck and I expect to see you at the Florida Horse Park again with Taco in the near future tor reprise your stellar performance. :yes:

Hugs, jingles, prayers, and a dance to the wellness gods are zooming their way to you.

Prieta
Dec. 3, 2007, 10:19 AM
My dear Annika, I am so sorry that you have to go through this with Taco. He really snags your heart just like my Arab does with mine. I do not know how I can do this with Abby who tends to be a terrible patient, getting sick. I can imagine what it is like for you to try and take care of quirky and picky Taco over at the hospital and the worry about you trying to take care of him at your home. it is really tough trying to take care of Taco and other horses needing your attention and care. You need lots of magazines, blankets, and carrots...oh, let's not forget this...lots lots of love and energy! ((((Hugs)))))

Cody
Dec. 3, 2007, 10:26 AM
Annika, I don't visit the board as much as I used to....but read this thread all the way thru....I'm jingling for Taco and you. And I'm whistling for him too!

Nancy

annikak
Dec. 3, 2007, 09:32 PM
Okay- today Taco looked pretty good- I went to see him and he was...okay. Not great- manure output was not good IMHO, so after carovet convinced me to call them and be a nudge I was. So they are watching that. His eye is smaller, and not as 'filled' but they are hopeful.

Since I have to go there tomorrow (oh PLEASE horse gods- I have had enough--Reason has developed a swelling over his umbilicus and surgery site, he gets surgical consult tomorrow- and I *know* in my heart of hearts its surgical- and oh God, Taco, get BETTER! ) I will check on him again. Today, while he looked okay, I did not get that great feeling I got before when I have seen him.

DH has had enough of me, since I have been so solid and not lost it, (But since he knows me so well...) and indeed, its probably time I really lost it- and opened a bottle of wine (so I could whine) and I actually got told on another thread to be good! I deserved it, really I did! But, darn it, I need you guys right now!

Okay, from my cheap wine-drinking self... thanks to you all- if the BB leaves, you guys have made this journey possible and I thank you. Deeply sincerely and honestly.

mbj
Dec. 3, 2007, 09:44 PM
jingling for you , your horses and your family. I sure hope you all get a long overdue long streak of good luck!

bornfreenowexpensive
Dec. 3, 2007, 09:44 PM
I'm sorry the news wasn't better. Forget the wine....go for Ben & Jerry's or ice cream of choice! Works better for me then wine! Although sometimes I have to break out the chocolate!

You are allowed to whine (for at least a little while). Think positive and take things one at a time. Thinking positive thoughts for you and your boys!

Laurel&HollyFarm
Dec. 3, 2007, 09:59 PM
. . I actually got told on another thread to be good! I deserved it, really I did! But, darn it, I need you guys right now!

What thread. I don't know when you have ever been other that the nicest of nice.

Come on Taco get well please. And Reason you are supposed to be the normal one now. Hope all is ok. I hope it's not that lavender blanket :eek::eek::eek: that is making you ill.

Jingles to all

Terry

PS. Caro was over tonight. She is still not feeling well.

asterix
Dec. 3, 2007, 10:09 PM
annikak, we are not going anywhere! We have our emergency backup email and bb plans, and we are absolutely here for you. Hang in there and know your devotion is a thing of beauty and power.

annikak
Dec. 3, 2007, 10:10 PM
What thread. I don't know when you have ever been other that the nicest of nice.

NO~! Its not the blankie at all- just a possible of possibles. The good thing is this- even if it is surgery (which I am sure it is...) he will be fine, as that is his way. He is one tough cookie! Pity my CC more then anything!:lol:
No, that sounds bad, but Reason is every reason to be positive- he just shrugs thing off like Madeline- Pooh Pooh! Its NOTHING to worry abt Mom! Such a good boy he is! That is why I knew he was not all together right- he did not want me to touch his tummy- so, since everything with him is easy, I know its not all great. Thank to Caro, the Psychic Vet to solve all...she said to worry and she was right!

Hannahsmom
Dec. 3, 2007, 10:14 PM
I've been doing some wine therapy myself annika...hang in there. I'm struggling with my young horse's diagnosis too. :(

Go Time
Dec. 3, 2007, 10:17 PM
Go ahead and whine. You deserve to. I have a good feeling though that everything will be okay. You guys are in my thoughts.

as to you being in trouble on the other thread, I spilled my beer when that poster told you to lay off the sauce. Funny.

annikak
Dec. 3, 2007, 10:22 PM
its a glass of wine every 6 months or so...yeah, i guess it is funny!:lol: I am a VERY cheap date!

FoxChaser
Dec. 3, 2007, 10:57 PM
Hang in there Annika! I hope the boys get it together... and that the BB stays around so that you can let us all know that everything turns out alright. You, Taco, and Reason are all in our thoughts tonight. Jingling from Kentucky!!!

frugalannie
Dec. 3, 2007, 11:33 PM
Well, THAT'S the problem. Wine must be applied MUCH more often than once every 6 months. Apply nightly, in my case.

What is it with our horses? One of mine has had an impaction colic going all day. I'm just in from babysitting 20 liters of fluid IV for her. At least it seems her plumbing is starting to work.

Annika, check your PMs, and hang on there. Jingling for you!

doodlebugg
Dec. 4, 2007, 12:02 AM
Annikak, I am sorry to hear of Taco's troubles and now reasons~ When it rains it pours~ I am praying for both Taco & reason as well as you~ Hang in there and know that you are in my daily thoughts~

Bensmom
Dec. 4, 2007, 12:24 AM
There aren't words to express how awful this is for you and for your boys, so I won't try, but know that we are sending you cyber hugs from Florida and many vibes that they all pull through this with flying colors! :yes:

Oh, and Buzz says to tell Taco he has a challenge for him! He completed his first 25 mile Limited Distance ride this past weekend and though it is supposed to be at least 50 miles before it is considered "endurance" we have decided that since he is a "special" horse with "special" issues, doing an LD and being sound at the end qualifies him as an Endurance Horse now too! :yes: :)

So, now Taco has to get all better and plan to try one more sport to catch up! heehee :D

Much love and hugs,

libby & the Little Monster (mom says I'm "short bus special" -- that is good, isn't it? :D )

toeknee
Dec. 4, 2007, 08:39 AM
ONE bottle of wine? I think if I were you I would be taking in the cases!!!:lol: Jingle Jingle Jingle. The new year is almost here and will hopefully bring you good health to all your beasts!!!!

bambam
Dec. 4, 2007, 09:06 AM
I agree with BFNE- Ben and Jerry's and chocolate may be more appropriate than wine- and then if those do not work, follow them with wine
Hang in there Annikak- all three of you will come out the other side of this with flying colors!

NMK
Dec. 4, 2007, 09:15 AM
Annikak, I am so very sorry. He is in the best of hands up there at MSU, of that I am sure. And Reason? Heck he just wants to make sure Taco isn't soaking up all the hugs by himself.

And heck if I were in your boots I'd be hitting the whiskey at this point.
A toast to your care of these boys is in order.

Here, here, bring on the eggnog.

Nanc

annikak
Dec. 4, 2007, 09:25 AM
Thanks, All!;)

Reason and I are heading to MSU to visit Taco in abt an hour. I think you are all right- he wants the carrots and hugs, too (altho he gets them in abundance from all of us here!) He has a medicine consult today at noon, and then a sugical consult tomorrow.

Mr Annikak deserves a very special mention here- he is an amazing man who is more the tolerant of all my animals and their afflictions. He told me just now that he did not think I was being bitchy at all. What a wonderful man! And, opens up a well-timed bottle of wine! A good man indeed- and yes, Ice cream went along with it! Anyway, I may still be the same person inside, but being able to do all that I have done for these guys is totally because of him.:yes:

Glad we are all still here! In a COTH fashion, I mean!

barnmaven
Dec. 4, 2007, 09:46 AM
Annika,

A glass every six months???.....Once you're down here, we'll have to change that!

I think Coop wants to be just like Taco when he grows up, hence his eye issue. Tell Taco that "little "sh%t" Cooper's eye is getting better, so he had better get better soon.

Prieta
Dec. 4, 2007, 02:27 PM
Annikak,

Mr. Annikak is a FANTASTIC man! You have never been a real whiney person. Chocolate is the best of the lot! I hope that Taco feels better today and that he does not need to see another snow storm on the way to prevent more hugs and kisses from you! (((HUGS)))

annikak
Dec. 5, 2007, 08:53 AM
YEsterday was not a good day here at Foxview Farm (altho the COTH being up does give me a cheer!)

Reason has an abdominal abcsess. Not good- prob MRSA- has an area that appears to communicate with his abdominal wall. Not febrile, eating, bright right now. But, this is not good news at all. And the pisser of it is this- no matter what care i give him, the outcome is pretty much decided on how aggressive the MRSA is- if it invades the body, Reason will...well, I guess most of you know.
They sent him home to hot compress, and the hope was this- if it breaks to the outside, gravity is in our favor, and it might wall off. No antibiotics, so we can be aggressive with the hotpacking as it will organize easier. In any event, it will be surgical soon- either to open it up, or to debride. Poor Poor Reason. Any other horse with 50/50 odds (either it will or it won't) would be pretty horrid. Reason is the brightest, sweetest guy ever- so perfect yesterday at the clinic- and has that kind of great outlook on life. It it looks bad, darn it, he just puts his head up and says. SO WHAT! So, I sit here typing in tears, but know that indeed, if anyone can do this, he can.
This AM its bigger, and I am taking pictures and outlining it for the vets- he prob (I anticipate) will go back in today.:cry: I know its bigger, so I guess its the right thing. Its under general (oh dear me...) but if it works, it should be good. they just cannot nick the body wall nor let the MRSA into the cavity. Large and tall order. Dr Stick will prob do the surgery.

Taco may come home, only because he is just miserable. Not eating much, and while all appears okay, he is not inside his brain. Hoping that home makes him better. They eye is shrinking- its 5 mm smaller, but no one knows why- not bleeding, nor leaking that they can see. Another horse they would lay down again but Taco does not get that option. So, its await and see time for him, too.

I wonder if I will EVER ride again??? No time for wine, but chocolate may be in serious order. The scale is NOT my friend right now.

monstrpony
Dec. 5, 2007, 08:59 AM
Oh, annikak, my heart aches for you! When will you and your ponies EVER get a break??

Super Mega Jingles for you all!

BBowen
Dec. 5, 2007, 09:01 AM
Oh Annikak, hang in there girl. Praying and jingling for both your boys. I hope home make a big improvement on Taco's mental state -- poor boy. I have been following Reason all along. So very sorry he is having to go through this. That little boy has so much heart and has so many pulling for him. Hugs.

shea'smom
Dec. 5, 2007, 09:06 AM
I have been checking in on this thread. I am so sorry you are going through this. What a double whammy.
I hope things look up soon.

flaxenmane
Dec. 5, 2007, 09:08 AM
Annika,

A glass every six months???.....Once you're down here, we'll have to change that!

Indeed, sounds like we'll have to send up cases of cheer for you and the fabulous Mr. A with Jazz for special delivery. I had extra dessert for you, Taco, and Reason last night!

And yes, you WILL ride again, because we're going to have our mini-intensive in March! Hang in there...

deltawave
Dec. 5, 2007, 09:17 AM
Dear God, these two bay horses of yours! :no: I am thinking of you often, with many hugs and jingles.

bambam
Dec. 5, 2007, 09:17 AM
oh no!!!
I think it is time to just carry around the bottle of wine in one hand and the chocolate in the other wherever you go
Hang in there and know that we are all jingling for all three of you (and we know how powerful that is)
You are sooo going to the get the break that you are incredibly overdue for and both boys will come home and be happy and healthy

mbj
Dec. 5, 2007, 09:19 AM
Oh I am soo sorry, and am jingling like crazy for you and your boys. It seems so very unfair, especially for the little guy who has already come through so much-- what a grand spirit he and you have. I do think that his temperament is a huge plus in his favor in terms of recovery. Praying for you all!

Laurel&HollyFarm
Dec. 5, 2007, 09:20 AM
Crap Annika :cry:. Jingling like crazy that everything goes the right way for Reason.

Terry

NMK
Dec. 5, 2007, 09:42 AM
Annika, Dr. Stick is the best there is! Those are two very lucky horses to have you and the MSU resources. I also want to give you a hug for Reason. It is so hard to know they are in a bad spot when they appear bright on the outside. I've been there many times with CANTER horses, and it is so very difficult.

I am glad Taco is coming home, both for you and for him. Jingles on curb chains and bells (this time of year and all).

Nancy

twinkle
Dec. 5, 2007, 10:00 AM
I feel so bad for all of you. I am asking God to watch over you. I'm praying for a Christmas miracle.

frugalannie
Dec. 5, 2007, 10:06 AM
Jingling and jingling again for your boys, Annika.

Quick question: does MRSA respond to maggot therapy? I'm wondering if they are able to open the abcess (or if it drains from hot compresses), if then an application of sterile medical maggots (I kid you not) could help clean up any remaining infection.

I'm crossing every finger and toe, and tying curb chains to my terrier to make sure they jingle non-stop today and until this is over.

Hugs to you and Mr. K.

FoxChaser
Dec. 5, 2007, 10:45 AM
Yet another tough day ahead... You, Mr. K, and your boys are desperately in need of a break. Hang in there and know that we're all jingling for a positive outcome.

toeknee
Dec. 5, 2007, 11:28 AM
Wow it just keeps coming doesn't it? I can't imagine. Jingling like crazy for you! I second the whiskey! I think you far beyond the "wine and chocolate" stage!!!:)

LexInVA
Dec. 5, 2007, 11:34 AM
Jingling and jingling again for your boys, Annika.

Quick question: does MRSA respond to maggot therapy? I'm wondering if they are able to open the abcess (or if it drains from hot compresses), if then an application of sterile medical maggots (I kid you not) could help clean up any remaining infection.

Yes. Maggot therapy is used for MRSA treatment. Effectiveness varies but it's an established method of countering the spread of the bacteria.

annikak
Dec. 5, 2007, 11:45 AM
so after numerous phone calls, Reason is heading up there today- into somewhat iso, but not totally until it breaks. they now know its surgical (since it grew since yesterday) so...
to get Taco and leave Reason.
I will mention maggots. I have heard that they have used them- not sure it would help the peritonitis... (sp?)

Okay- off to load the young man.

Thanks all,

Annika

bornfreenowexpensive
Dec. 5, 2007, 11:52 AM
bummer bummer bummer....sending tons of jingles. I think if you get through this....you tell those boys that they need to stop and let you get to riding them.

When I was in a period like you are going through, I would joke that it was my horses' way of telling me I should have gone to vet school and since I didn't, they were going to make sure I got the education they thought I needed!!! Either that or they just liked my vets!

You will get through it and I'm really hoping for some positive out comes!!!!

Prieta
Dec. 5, 2007, 12:54 PM
Jingles jingles jingles!!!! (((hugs hugs))))

Chocolates then Irish Cream!!!

Hugs hugs hugs

Fred
Dec. 5, 2007, 03:10 PM
adding my jingles, lots and lots of them.

frugalannie
Dec. 5, 2007, 06:36 PM
FRED!!! Your PM mailbox is full and won't accept anymore.

RunForIt
Dec. 5, 2007, 07:57 PM
Please post news of Reason - I keep all of you in my prayers and thoughts, but Reason is different, he's ...different. :) Take care, Annika. Love to all the boys, 4-legged and 2.

4Martini
Dec. 5, 2007, 08:02 PM
I've never met you or your horses, but I keep checking the updates to see how they are doing! Thinking of you and your horses!

Jingle Jingle Jingle (maybe you should tell your horses they are supposed to be saying ho, ho, ho instead?)

mbj
Dec. 5, 2007, 08:05 PM
JINGLE JINGLE JINGLE JINGLE JINGLE JINGLE JINGLE JINGLE JINGLE JINGLE JINGLE JINGLE !!!!!

RiverBendPol
Dec. 5, 2007, 08:11 PM
Oh Gosh, I am so, so sorry to see what a truly hideous time you are having. It is so frustrating to be out here in cyberspace and not able to actually sit down and pour the wine into your glass! I actually prefer chocolate and cookies when I am blue. They transport much more easily than the vino. You can shove them into your mouth whilst driving back and forth to the clinic. Worry about the weight later!:eek::winkgrin:
We're all out here for you. Best, best wishes for the whole bunch, Annika........

NeverTime
Dec. 5, 2007, 08:11 PM
Crossing my fingers and thinking good thoughts. You've had all the stress you need. These boys need to snap out of it and start feeling better. So sorry you, and they, have to go through this.

annikak
Dec. 5, 2007, 08:44 PM
WOW- WOW-WOW!

the coth magic is amazing- I got to the horspital, and since the front desk people know me, they passed a bag up to the counter, said "No questions - we don't know..." and inside was a bottle of great GREAT whiskey and chocolate. And a note from a lucking cother- which brought me to tears right away. Try to explain the COTH mojo to the front office staff. Pretty hard to do!

I cannot begin to express what that meant to me, and how very special it was to get that at that time, on that day, at that moment. Her comment in her card was that she could deliver what you all had suggested. She also expressed her love and the and the love that she knows all of you are sending on our direction. Since I am sure you will always lurk, I shall publicly Thank You. That was such a kind thing to do.:sadsmile: (BTW- The front office staff described you as a very good looking, lovely softspoken woman who was quite classy!)

then, I get home with Taco, (a somewhat difficult drive, as he is NQR- but I shall attribute this to his being inside for 10 days-) and on the tackroom bench is a wonderful bottle of wine and card from dear Tiempo. Tears again. THANK you from every fiber of my being. Having you in my corner means so much.

So, update on the horses- Taco came home, was pretty hyped, still has his mask on, but...was very happy to pee in HIS large stall with lots of bedding. He dove into his mash laced with Stomach Soother, I rugged him up and said goodnight. He needs his lights off and down horse time. He is on no eye meds right now- but has a yellow glow to his eye they do not understand. His eye is indeed smaller, but appears visual- but still has the vitreal strands. I was hoping they would be gone- but not yet. They do not know if his eye will remain small or fill up again- re-asses at MSU on Tuesday.

Reason is in Aisle E, which means he is alone with no other friends.:no: Totally understandable- it is likely that he is MRSA positive and once that breaks, he will be in iso. He can stay in that ward until he comes home that way, so its better then it could be for him. He laid down in his stall and I sat down with him, he placed his head in my lap. He has done that a few times and its always touching to me. He is so good- today he was a bit mouthy, but I expect that. He wanted to suck on something- who can blame him?;) They will be hot compressing him a lot hoping that things will form and come to a head. We hope that this will stay Outside of his body- rather then inside. I will say it again- if there is any horse that can beat this, its Reason. Its not good, I know this, but he is a trooper and tough.

Thanks to you all- your kindness, both in the real world, and in cyber world is just amazing.

cyriz's mom
Dec. 5, 2007, 09:35 PM
Annikak -

that is so cool! COTH community and especially eventers are truly special. The level of thoughtfulness on the part of both ladies brought a tear to my eye.

Surely, if hopes and prayers can heal two horses, then Taco and Reason are in good hands.

I hope that Taco has a peaceful night at home and that poor Reason's abscess comes to a head and all yuck stays outside of his body.

Best wishes and many jingles.

Laurel&HollyFarm
Dec. 6, 2007, 08:59 AM
Annika,

That brought tears to my eyes. I hope Taco had a good night at home and Reason had a good night at the hospital.

Terry

monstrpony
Dec. 6, 2007, 10:42 AM
:sadsmile:

How very, very kind of whoever it was. I can imagine what a boost that little act of kindness was in the midst of all of your misfortune.

Continued jingles for all of you.

FLeckenAwesome
Dec. 6, 2007, 04:22 PM
wow... what a great support system and truly wonderful wine bringers!!!

and i hope hope hope and pray that your ponies will both turn around and get to come home and stay home and return to normal! what a horrible thing to have to go through! i'll be praying hard for you guys and hoping that they both improve quickly. maybe taco just needs to be home in HIS stall and reason sounds like a tough cookie who will give it his all.
good lucK!!!
hugs, hugs, and more hugs!

Bensmom
Dec. 6, 2007, 05:20 PM
What wonderful things for COTH'ers to do for such a great person as annika -- this is when I am proudest of being part of this community. I will never forget being at the UF vet school and getting iffy news about the Monster (and, boy, it wasn't even close to life threatening!) and having Flightcheck there with me to hold my hand and take me out to lunch and keep me company while we waited.

That kind of support is meaningful beyond words. :sadsmile:

Come on boys! Get well for your mommie!

libby

Tiempo
Dec. 6, 2007, 08:15 PM
Still thinking healing thoughts for your boys Annika, and for you too.

I hope the wine was ok..I coudn't remember for sure if you are a red or a white girl :)

To have all this going on at once is too much for anyone to have to deal with and I will continue to jingle very hard for darling little Reason, and beautiful Taco.

If our little Bessie could make it through what she did this fall, I'm sure there's hope for Reason too. The vets were very, very pessimistic when Bess was at her worst with the peritonitis and necrotic belly, preparing us everyday for the likelyhood of having to let her go, but here she is, home, well,and as nutty as ever :)

I know it's not the same, dogs are just different, but our experience gives me hope for Reason.

Stay strong my dear Annika, and call me if you need ANYTHING.

PS...I helped myself to a dozen of your delicious eggs, I hope that was ok...you said it was ok right? I still felt a little funny taking them even though you said I could ;)

mbj
Dec. 6, 2007, 09:47 PM
Rooting for your boys, and hoping the lovely heartfelt gifts help you have sweet dreams and a good night sleep. Jingle jingle jingle!

annikak
Dec. 7, 2007, 07:28 AM
Latest update-
Taco is home and MUCH happier- eating and doing all the normal horse things. Sad for him is that he has his ordinary shoes on, which include bar shoes behind, so the slip factor in this cold is indeed high. I worry abt pulling them- he get so sore- and my horse farrier just had surgery on Wed so is out of commission until the middle of Jan. In any event, he looks better.:yes:

Reason has finally started draining as of last night. This is good- but I guess the real worry starts now. Gravity needs to be good to him. The cultures are sent off, and he is under close watch. I went there yesterday, and will go today and tomorrow, too- he is on total stall rest due to it possibly being MRSA. Can you imagine his torment? 5 months old on STALL REST? Poor guy!

A bad dream got me last night- someone had a mare foal unexpectadly and they took the foal away from its mom. I got the call from the people and they were so happy that the mare had made it thru- I asked them how they were doing and they told me that the mare and foal were separated because they thought it was best for the foal to bond to humans- foal had not nursed or anything and was just laying there being so sweeeet.:mad:

I literally woke crying- DH "Are you okay?" got me up, but I did not sleep the rest of the night...I was so mad and scared for that baby Think I miss my little man??;):lol: Have to admit I am still shaken by that dream however, and am waiting for the call from MSU this AM making sure Reason is okay.

Thanks everyone! <<<hugs>>>

Lori T
Dec. 7, 2007, 07:40 AM
Glad Taco is home and I am sure he will do much better in his own environment. Poor Reason, I am jingling like crazy for both of them, and for you! Keep that wine and chocolate close by!

CookiePony
Dec. 7, 2007, 07:56 AM
Checking the thread for an update... and sorry to hear your anxiety is creeping into your dreams, but glad that Taco is home. As for Reason, I'm hoping that his spunkiness and spirit up to this point keep carrying him through. :yes:

Tiempo
Dec. 7, 2007, 10:33 AM
Annika, does Brian not have someone filling in for him while he's out of commission?

Sorry about your bad dream :(

Prieta
Dec. 7, 2007, 12:11 PM
Sorry about the bad dream...it really did wrench your heart away. Reason has a way of telling you that he wants you nearby to keep him company....:yes:

((((hugs)))))

frugalannie
Dec. 7, 2007, 01:32 PM
Checking in on the boys. Delighted that the abcess broke outward. How long for culture results?

Jingles!

RunForIt
Dec. 7, 2007, 05:28 PM
Annika, PLEASE keep us posted on Reason and Taco - i can't explain why I feel so connected to that little guy but I do; wish that I could sit with him too. Please stroke his little neck for me. Carrots to the big guy, of course! (Wine, cookies, WHATEVER IT TAKES to you :) )

Lynda

Prieta
Dec. 7, 2007, 05:52 PM
How's the little baby? I'm hanging here.....sending you our powers to heal Taco and Reason.

Hug DH for being there for all of us. (((hugs DH))) (((Hugs)))

Whisper
Dec. 7, 2007, 08:47 PM
I'm glad Taco is back home and off of the eye meds - hope he continues to improve. Huge jingles to him, Reason, and you and your family!

3horsemom
Dec. 8, 2007, 03:01 PM
praying for both of your boys. i check every day hoping for good news.

Gindarkh
Dec. 8, 2007, 07:52 PM
Anyone have an update on the boys ?

annikak
Dec. 8, 2007, 07:53 PM
Reason Update! (And Thanks- he deserves a fan club!)

Well, he stopped draining (rather, the abscess stopped draining!) so he is destined for surgery. Prob on Mon or Tuesday. He is cheerful, and silly and okay even being locked inside. Since he has cultured positive for what MIGHT be MRSA (no surprise there- the sensitivity is not back yet) they have to keep him in a controlled area. The Nasal Swab was NOT positive- so that's just great! I gave him a lick-it that I suspended from the IV pole above his stall. Hope that will entertain him...He also has 2 jugs and a ball in his stall, along with his feed tub.

Today, he was "honored" as a Miracle of Life Pet of 2007 at MSU. It was very touching- there were 60 animals honored, and 2 were horses- Reason and Indy, another colt that was there for a very long time. It was nice to finally meet Indys owners, I sure knew Indy! More then a few of us shed tears- his main tech and vets were sitting with me. It was great.

I will update you soon as I know when surgery is. Taco goes in Tuesday so I kind of hope Tuesday. Just might be easier!

Thanks everyone!

Oh, and to the lovely one who brought yet another card, treats for both myself and the staff- THANK YOU! Everyone was touched!!:sadsmile:

Carol Ames
Dec. 9, 2007, 12:33 AM
Juingle,, Jingle. Jimgle!:lol::yes:

RiverBendPol
Dec. 9, 2007, 07:16 AM
".....Today, he was "honored" as a Miracle of Life Pet of 2007 at MSU. It was very touching- there were 60 animals honored, and 2 were horses- Reason and Indy, another colt that was there for a very long time. It was nice to finally meet Indys owners, I sure knew Indy! More then a few of us shed tears- his main tech and vets were sitting with me. It was great....."

A few of you shed tears? This paragraph made me weeeeeep! Good for little Reason. Good for MSU. Awwwwww, it is just so sweet.

Still pulling for you and yours. Thanks so much for the updates. I'm checking on you 2xday!

frugalannie
Dec. 9, 2007, 07:58 AM
Annika, I think they forgot to honor you as the "Miracle of LIfe Owner of the Year"! You have been a miracle for both Taco and Reason, and they both know it.

Jingling for them both, and hoping Tuesday "will be your good news day". (When do the sensitivities come back?)

Whisper
Dec. 9, 2007, 12:11 PM
Yay, Reason! It sounds like really good news for him, and I hope he finishes recovering quickly. Any update on Taco?

Tiempo
Dec. 9, 2007, 01:46 PM
So glad it's sounding positive....hoping every day for a full recovery.

annikak
Dec. 9, 2007, 03:59 PM
well, its frustrating news, actually. He needs to fully get rid of everything- and it keeps walling off (as I guess MRSA does). On his scan Friday, they can see one pocket that seems to be "organizing" better. The real issue is this- Its on/near the body wall. Therefore the risk of it opening towards his abdominal cavity exists. This (as I understand it) is not good- and would bode poorly for him.
the positive thing however is that it has NOT done that so far, and that is a good sign. I just asked his vet what she thinks. She thinks that we have to get it all gone...since the hot compresses are not doing the job, we have to think about surgical removal. I did ask if we HAD to get rid of it, and she was more vague- I guess its a risky thing to do- but maybe a possible thing to do. It won't go away by itself, and at some point, it has to go somewhere.

frankly, I want him home. But the idea of having a MRSA infection on the farm scares me a bit-not b/c of what might happen to me or my family so much, but scared that if it breaks open into his abdomen, it would get bad, fast. I know I caught this time really early, and so I should take comfort in that- but I cannot help but know that if anything happened because I missed something (and Gosh, I know I am almost insane about keeping track etc) I would be past angry with myself. In addition, I am not in the most steady frame of mind, and feel as if I need to be aware of that (Know Thy self and all that jazz). I am teetering on being a royal bitch! (not towards anyone really, but I have had some interesting stall cleaning moments! But thats another thread!:lol:)

Thanks everyone, your jingles make a huge difference! And Tiempo- this small typo gave me a huge smile! Its so TRUE!!!
Sorry about you're bad dream :(

annikak
Dec. 9, 2007, 04:03 PM
here are a couple of pics of what I saw. No current ones... the middle one is what I saw on Monday which made me concerned (not shaved, just the small swelling) the other 2 pics are from Wed, which is how much it had grown.

frugalannie
Dec. 9, 2007, 05:04 PM
Annika, you know much more about vet care than I, but can they not reopen the draining track, enlarge it a little, and maybe try the maggots? I know you don't want the little guy fully sedated. Might they be able to try a more conservative approach with lighter sedation and, if not maggots, then something else?

And by the way, with all you've been dealing with, you have every right to decompensate. It's about time, as a matter of fact. I was thinking we'd have to canonize you!

Don't be hard on yourself. You're right: MRSA is not something to battle at home. For professionals only.

bornfreenowexpensive
Dec. 9, 2007, 05:06 PM
Can they put something like Icthamal on it to help draw it out? What a frustrating and scary thing. He sounds like such a cool little guy I really hope that he pulls through!

Tiempo
Dec. 9, 2007, 08:30 PM
Oh Annika, what a roller coaster.

Be confident he is in the BEST hands.

PS Nice typo!...fixed it :winkgrin:

annikak
Dec. 9, 2007, 08:31 PM
as a matter of fact, the first thought they had was the ichtamal (I think I spelled that right!) but dismissed it as it would be hard to see if there was real drainage. Plus, if they went into surgery, it would be really hard to get clean enough..(so they say).it being the tarry gooey stuff it is. They did go round and round about it, however!

FA, I think the reason is this- by "helping" it along, we may actually not be-I guess beginning the process in an artificial way is not a good idea for some reason. I did mention maggots, but they may not have listened- and so will ask again tomorrow AM.

They just called and asked if I would come in tomorrow AM to discuss things. I think everything is pretty okay- he is cheery, and while being kept in his jail, people do visit him so that's nice for him! They do not use any sort of antibiotic, for all the obvious reasons and I am good with that- why we have all these issues is because of too many antibiotics! (IMHO- and I am not a vet, Dr. or other knowledgeabe medical person nor do I play one on TV!)

SO! i will update when I have more- and thanks for the ideas- they are great and important!

annikak
Dec. 9, 2007, 08:37 PM
Oh Annika, what a roller coaster.

Be confident he is in the BEST hands.

PS Nice typo!...fixed it :winkgrin:

but it was so freudian! PERFECT! :winkgrin::D

AW
Dec. 9, 2007, 08:55 PM
Check your PMs!

annikak
Dec. 9, 2007, 09:13 PM
got the PM and responded-THANKS!:D

here is AW's great idea- Animalintex! Why didn't I think if that? It is PERFECT! I am going to bring some up with me tomorrow to add to the pot of ideas. They are going to have to love it- they can see what comes out, they can leave it on, PERFECT!

(Imagine me jumping up and down clapping my hands in glee!)Such an obvious, easy idea. I wish I would have used that this summer- I did when it was first open, but then stopped. I should have continued! Perfect! Perfect Idea! (as my DH said...DUH....)

frugalannie
Dec. 10, 2007, 07:17 AM
BRILLIANT! I love icthammol, but the vets hate it because it obscures drainage. Nonetheless, I've used it on a couple of stubborn foot abcesses this year. Animalintex is a great option, however. Good thinking, AM!

annikak
Dec. 10, 2007, 08:36 PM
Well, I guess I knew, but now I know, it IS MRSA. Sh**. Poor Guy. I just spoke to my DH, and if he comes home, I will still turn him out with the donkeys and the 3 YO- they are tough animals, and I am sure they will be okay. (well, I guess I am willing to take the risk- I know its risky, but...for his overall benefit, I think the risk is valid- esp after losing what is destined to be another rather long hospital stay with lots of human and no equine contact).

Might just have to open that bottle my dear lurker has left me....

Okay- on a nicer note- esp since i am sure this won't happen again in the near future- Mr Reason got to go outside for a walk today. The Tech Amy and I each donned our gowns, gloves and hats, and a lead rope each (it was a two person job to be sure) and out we went into the cold wet MI weather. He was very good- okay, not like a big horse, but as a 5 month old, VERY good!

Will update tomorrow! thanks everyone!

FoxChaser
Dec. 10, 2007, 09:36 PM
Wow... It just doesn't let up, does it? Hang in there and good healing to everyone. At least he isn't missing much not being turned out in this weather (the bright side of it?). Continued jingles!!

3horsemom
Dec. 10, 2007, 10:31 PM
good luck tomorrow. y'all will be in my prayers.

FLeckenAwesome
Dec. 10, 2007, 11:47 PM
good luck again!! still keeping both the critters and you in my thoughts and prayers.

and... i'd LOVE to hear your stall cleaning story! :) when you can get around to it ;)

bigdreamer
Dec. 11, 2007, 03:41 AM
oh annika, the past two days i've been on "reason night duty" and can NOT get enough of him!!! Last night one of the tech's walked down the ward on me talking to him in a baby voice and just rubbing him all over with his neck stretched out as happy as a clam and was laughing at me big time. He's just so stinkin fun :) What a neat little boy. He is going to be a monster when you break him to ride! do you know when/if is surgery will be? how's taco doing? hope all is well!! :)

annikak
Dec. 11, 2007, 07:24 AM
BD- You have NO idea how happy that makes me that you are on duty with him! THANKS! Amy says he likes the tootsie rolls! That was not their intended use, but whatever! Has he turned his butt to you to get his scratches? He Adores that, too.
I guess he has some peoples numbers, and so make sure to have a well timed whack when he gets too fresh. taking him out yesterday was good, but there is nothing like a good romp in the fields to get the colt outta him. But I do know that when things are okay in his world, normal T/O and being tied and all that jazz, he is really good for everyone.

Reason is probably going to have surgery on Wed or Thursday. I guess Stick is up to his eyeballs right now! I think because of the MRSA, he will be last to go for the day. I think they are still hoping it can be just a draining, but now the thought is it might be a stitch that is causing the issues. I want it gone- ALL gone.

we have to whisper abt Taco- cuz I swear he hears- but he currently looks good- eye is smaller, and a bit raisin like in places, but I think he sees okay- but last time I said that we had a set back, so you did not hear it from me! He is supposed to go in today- waiting for the ice report from Lansing! Thansk for asking!

frugalannie
Dec. 11, 2007, 08:06 AM
Jingling for Reason. And still jingling for Taco.

mbj
Dec. 11, 2007, 08:28 AM
Still jingling away for you and the boys!

flaxenmane
Dec. 11, 2007, 08:36 AM
'Tis the season, and we are jingling away!

Prieta
Dec. 11, 2007, 08:42 AM
Jingling like mad! I am soooo happy that Reason is getting all attention he needs. Donkeys will do wonders.

(whispering)..how is Taco's eye now???? Is the ice storm coming on your way? Can you spend a night near the hospital just to be near your beloved boys???

GreekDressageQueen
Dec. 11, 2007, 09:25 AM
MEGA JINGLES for Taco! He is my gelding's half-brother (I think - Annikak and I both have a 7 year old Mystic Replica gelding - is this the one?) so we are family!

I really hope everything will be better for you and Taco soon. Here's wishing you an "uneventful" Holiday season. :)

BigRuss1996
Dec. 11, 2007, 09:26 AM
Wow.... You just never get a break...... here's to hoping his surgery goes well. *** Jingles***

wookie
Dec. 11, 2007, 02:53 PM
dear annikak,, i have never posted to you.. but i looked at your pixs on picasa and tears of joy and sorrow came to my eyes. i am assuming reason is the little guy with you and your son.. what heart warming pictures of you all. my favorite is the one where baby is sleeping next to your son and they both look so content. i wish you all well and am honestly praying for you and your guys. i am an er nurse and see mrsa all the time,, frankly i probably carry it-for i am exposed almost daily. hang in there,,, it can be beaten. the recent news on it is terrifying everyone but it has been around for a long time,,it just didn't get the hype it is now.

RiverBendPol
Dec. 11, 2007, 03:27 PM
Jeekers, Annika. Still with you out here in cyber land. Wookie reminded me, a few years ago one of our daughters was living in a hostel (hovel) in New Zealand and had a fairly impressive case of MRSA. She was quite sick for a while but other than some impressive scars on her legs, lived to tell the tale! (she's got Malaria right now, in Tanzania...why won't she stay home?!) Point being, great things can happen and we're all pulling for you and your fellas.

KellyS
Dec. 11, 2007, 03:39 PM
Annika,

I just want you to know that this is the first thread I check every day on COTH. I am praying for your boys and hoping that 2008 finds them both healthy and well. They are so lucky to have you.

Kelly

Laurel&HollyFarm
Dec. 11, 2007, 07:23 PM
Just checking in with our jingles. Caro said she was talking with you as she dropped by tonight. You seriously need a break. Taco & Reason you have to get well.

I went through hell last year with an infection but things worked out. I hope they do for Reason. Hey I got to keep my thumb :D.

shea'smom
Dec. 11, 2007, 09:24 PM
Checking in and sending more Jingles! I hope everything goes great with the surgery.

bigdreamer
Dec. 11, 2007, 11:41 PM
annika!

Yes, reason loves his butt scratches. and his face scratches. and his neck scratches. he looooooooooooooooooooooooooooves attention. he does seem to have some numbers, but I just play with him and i think he appreciates it :)

anyways, back to do treatments, but still keeping my fingers crossed for both him and taco!!!

Prieta
Dec. 12, 2007, 07:31 AM
It is the first thing I check in every morning....sending jingles and prayers to Reason and Taco!

Hugs hugs Hugs

Jingling jingling

frugalannie
Dec. 12, 2007, 08:17 AM
How are you and the boys doing today, Annika?

Jingling for you!

annikak
Dec. 13, 2007, 07:19 AM
No surgery yet- now I understand why!

There were 2 or 3 options on what to do- and they have elected to do the following...which is why they are waiting for so long. And yes, could I have done a lot of this at home? Sure, but I feel a lot better having him at MSU (other then the fact that he would much rather be outside). Anything could have happened, and it did not, which is great, but could seems to be what we were trying to avoid- and we did so far!:yes:

Plan- get it smaller, as small as possible, take him into the OR on Monday after a loading dose of Chlorenpheichol (sp) to be ahead of the game and remove the entire mass. It is MUCH smaller and has had 2 or 3 episodes of draining, which is great so we are hoping for even more.

This is the plan- it's horses, so will probably have mutations, but so far this is what we have.

Again, I am ever grateful to the vets there- esp the vet that has been working with him from the beginning- from Ireland, and a real horse person- she has been amazing.

I had chocolate for breakfast!:lol:

frugalannie
Dec. 13, 2007, 07:54 AM
Ah yes, chocolate. It's not just for breakfast anymore.

Apply liberally throughout the day.

And good boy, Reason, for doing the right thing. You be patient, little one, and soon that nasty bug colony will be gone. You keep draining, I'll keep jingling!

annikak
Dec. 13, 2007, 09:38 AM
Well, yeah, you'd think I would learn, eh? NEVER say things are good- NEVER!
reason is heading into surgery this AM- he lacerated his eye-lid last night badly and they need to repair it under general. So, Dr Stick will go ahead and do the belly after the eye lid is finished. I was worried he would have to be put under twice, but Dr Stick agreed to today. Thank God.

I am not sure what I am right now- exhausted? This morning, I cried and cried hard. I am not going today- he needs them all to focus on him and not worry abt his owner- so I will maybe head there tonight. Poor Little Man,....:cry:

This is the plan- its horses, so will probably have mutations, but so far this is what we have.

well, I guess I did make allowances....

bambam
Dec. 13, 2007, 09:48 AM
oh annikak! how stressful
I will be jingling all day for Reason's surgery
Keep hangin in there

cyriz's mom
Dec. 13, 2007, 10:27 AM
Well crap! The little fart!! Many jingles from the frozen tundra of TEXAS for successful surgery today!

Just remember...it's 5 o'clock somewhere!! Hang in there!

Taco still doing better?

mbj
Dec. 13, 2007, 11:34 AM
Silly baby, tried to mount the GREAT ESCAPE? Watching too many flying ninja movies?
Seriously, jingling for successful surgery that will get him home and OUT to play soon!
JINGLEJINGLEJINGLEJINGLEJINGLEJINGLEJINGLEJINGLE!

monstrpony
Dec. 13, 2007, 11:39 AM
Jingle bells! Jingle bells! Jingle all the way for Reason!!

annikak
Dec. 13, 2007, 11:45 AM
just finishing now- not yet in recovery. Eye went well- and its a damn good thing they did the more aggressive surgery. If not, we would have been right back there again. What they thought were sutures turned out to be abscesses- they never would have cleared with out surgical intervention. So, they did have to cut into him a bit, but not too bad from what I can tell, and so...waiting for the next call.

Com'on Reason- Stand and be smart and tough and all those very important things.

bornfreenowexpensive
Dec. 13, 2007, 11:52 AM
Jingling like mad!!!! He is a tough bugger!

Laurel&HollyFarm
Dec. 13, 2007, 11:55 AM
Reason's eye was his way of telling them, I need surgery NOW :yes:. JINGLING for recovery to go well.

Terry

annikak
Dec. 13, 2007, 12:27 PM
he is up and wanting to eat.

Small defect in the body wall means that he will have a risk for hernia, so has to wear a snug belly band for approx a month. The infection was very deep.

So close to disaster. Keep jingling things go as well as they can!

JenJ
Dec. 13, 2007, 03:15 PM
While I lurk more than post, I've been following this story from the day of the thread "annikak adopted the colt". You and Reason have a special place in a lot of hearts, and tons of jingles coming your way.

halla
Dec. 13, 2007, 03:21 PM
Maybe reason would like one of these?

http://www.pingmag.jp/2007/01/15/haramaki-a-granny-item-made-fashionable/

:D

FoxChaser
Dec. 13, 2007, 03:59 PM
Hang in there little guy and hugs to your mama. Annika, take a long, hot bath, okay? Still jingling!!!

Lamma70
Dec. 13, 2007, 04:53 PM
While I lurk more than post, I've been following this story from the day of the thread "annikak adopted the colt". You and Reason have a special place in a lot of hearts, and tons of jingles coming your way.

I am the same way. I haven't been following from the very beginning, but I read this thread every day. I think about you and your babies and am "Jingling" too, but haven't quite figured out what "jingling" means. :D Anyway, you are in my thoughts, and here's to a full recovery for both of your boys, and an uneventful New Year!

SmallHerd
Dec. 13, 2007, 05:21 PM
Me too. I mostly lurk, but my heart goes out to you, Annikak, and your herd. I have read this thread every day for the past week or so, and am jingling for your gang. They are so lucky to have you.

I also agree that a hot bath and tall glass filled with your beverage of choice is definately in order.

Hugs!!

Tiempo
Dec. 13, 2007, 06:58 PM
Annika, Sounds like that little boy hurt his eye because he knew he needed the surgery NOW...I know, silly, but it's sure tempting to think that way!

Still jingling like mad for all of you, and checking in here first thing each evening when I get home for news.

I got your message about the other thing, but I'll leave you in peace about that until things are more stable for you and yours.

Stay strong my dear,

A.

bornfreenowexpensive
Dec. 13, 2007, 07:08 PM
I think about you and your babies and am "Jingling" too, but haven't quite figured out what "jingling" means. :D

It just means jingling of curb chains for good luck.

I keep checking to hope for happy news for the boys! Sending many more jingles and positive thoughts! I'd be competely through that bottle of Whiskey by now!

shea'smom
Dec. 13, 2007, 08:22 PM
For the love of God, What a roller coaster!!
Sorry you are going through this. Hang in there and thanks for keeping us posted.

FLeckenAwesome
Dec. 13, 2007, 10:42 PM
wow!!! it just keeps going and going...
still jingling and praying for you guys! hopefully the eyelid was a good thing cause it led to the surgery and hopefully the abdomen will heal and hold and all will be well.

hang in there!!!

bascher
Dec. 13, 2007, 11:13 PM
How is your other horse doing? I've also been reading this from the beginning and I am so impressed with the composure that you have managed to keep through these incredibly difficult times. I really hope everything is progressing smoothly and that you can bring your baby home soon!

Lamma70
Dec. 13, 2007, 11:33 PM
It just means jingling of curb chains for good luck.

Thanks bornfree. I thought it had something to do with luck or prayer, but didn't know where the jingling came in.

And I am jingling like crazy! I think AnnikaK has had enough to worry about, and it is time for those boys to run and frolic outside with no worries!

JingleJingleJingleJingleJingleJingleJingle!!! :D

frugalannie
Dec. 13, 2007, 11:34 PM
Annika, I'm just catching up on the day's events.

Well done, Reason! Seems like he went through surgery like a champ, all the nasty buggies are gone now, and he has a shiner.(!) What, was he envious of Taco? Speaking of whom, how is his eye?

Annika, hang in there. You're doing God's work, although you're being sorely tested. I'm hoping that al this is happening now so that you can have a relaxed and joyous holiday.

By the way, I saw Brian go today. He looked FABULOUS! He's hoping to see you in January, too.

Lots of hugs and jingles from snow country.

annikak
Dec. 14, 2007, 07:32 AM
Mornin' all,

You guys are great- and proof that jingles work! As far as Reason wanting to be like Taco, well, that is exactly what the surgeon said! And then added..."lucky you!" :lol:
My DH took me to see him yesterday, and Reason was VERY bright- now I begin to think maybe I might have a MONSTER on my hands! He is F...R...E...S...H.... "Free Reason an Entirely Special Horse" says he! So, he needs to protect that belly for a bit. But, Dr Stack (oh...I love her) seems very positive (albeit tired- she called me late last night, but was at MSU at 4 AM to help him)

As far as Taco goes- hope this link works....
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=15148415499&ref=nf

I am not saying a THING.

Great news on Brian! He is cute boy! I want to see him, too!

frugalannie
Dec. 14, 2007, 08:26 AM
Yay! Doing a happy dance in my stocking feet so Taco and Reason won't hear me.

But still jingling.

Get some rest today, Annika. You're going to need it to deal with that energetic little boy.

annikak
Dec. 14, 2007, 09:57 AM
REASON IS COMING HOME TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He is feeling THAT good, and THAT healthy and THAT fresh- get him out and being a colt again!!!

Laurel&HollyFarm
Dec. 14, 2007, 10:05 AM
AAAAAWWWWWWEEEEEEESSSSSSSSOOOOOMMMMMEEEEE:D:D:D:D: D:D

I am so happy for you:yes:

Whispering so as not to jinx anything but Taco looks really good on the video. Don't tell him. It will be our secret.

Terry

FLeckenAwesome
Dec. 14, 2007, 10:07 AM
yahooo!!!!!! yay yay yay!!!
i couldn't see the pics of taco :( But glad to hear .... i wont' say it :)
yay!!!!!!

RiverBendPol
Dec. 14, 2007, 10:53 AM
Holy Moley, Annika, great news!!! Except that now YOU have to deal with The Little Fresh Face!:winkgrin: So glad for you. Hope all things improve as the days go by!!

frugalannie
Dec. 14, 2007, 11:16 AM
Happy Happy Joy Joy!!!

What a great Christmas gift!

Now you keep healing, little one, and you too, Taco. We haven't forgotten about you!

FalseImpression
Dec. 14, 2007, 11:40 AM
I have been reading and jingling from Canada and I am so glad your boys are on the road to recovery!!
Do you really have a Dr. Stick and a Dr. Stack....

3horsemom
Dec. 14, 2007, 11:41 AM
i have tears in my eyes. i am so happy for you all.
have a very merry christmas and a very peaceful new year.

BBowen
Dec. 14, 2007, 11:45 AM
Another happy dancer here!!!!! What wonderful news. I have been following the thread and continuing to say prayers and jingle for Reason and Taco. Hugs to you Annikak.

onetempies
Dec. 14, 2007, 02:20 PM
Gotta love the folks at MSU. I've been there too many times, many of the surgeons recognize me & know my name when I walk in. :eek: I feel sorry for your CC though! :( Glad to hear that Reason is getting kicked out though. GREAT news!

Lamma70
Dec. 14, 2007, 05:06 PM
Yay! I am so excited for you. Congratulations! That is a very Merry Christmas present for sure. And, here's to a healthy New Year!

JingleJingleJingleJingle!

cyriz's mom
Dec. 14, 2007, 05:39 PM
That is such super news!!!

Now, do us all a favor and keep them separated so they can't plan another escapade!

Jingles for continued improvement for both boys and here's to a healthy 2008 for them!

annikak
Dec. 14, 2007, 09:52 PM
After 18 days of having a horse at MSU, I have my 2 boys home-tucked into their stalls, meds given, hay checked and a hug (or 3) for all. Such a nice feeling to have them home.:yes: Reason is on stall rest, but he did get the "walk" of the barn aisle- which he very much enjoys- and knows to behave as he got to do that when he first came home oh so many months ago.

Sigh. I have leaned, counted on, cried on and whined/wined on you all- and gotten the most wonderful PT's as well as messages here, things left at MSU, and I have felt the support from you all. This is a wonderful board, with wonderful people, and I am grateful for it all. Thank you all from the bottom of my heart.

Yes, indeed, there is a Dr. Stack, Dr. Stick, and Dr. Schott. :lol:Each and every one of them did wonderful things for Reason- esp Dr. Stack- who has been there from the beginning. He also had the best Tech ever to grace this earth in Amy, who took him on as if he were her own. His care there has been incredible.

So, Again, I thank you all. I know it's strange to rely on an Internet BB family, but I do. I believe in every part of me that your jingles made a difference; I know they did for me.

Here are a few pics... One of Amy and One of Dr. Stack

onetempies
Dec. 14, 2007, 10:20 PM
Awwww.... he looks great! Glad that you got them home! :)

Go Time
Dec. 14, 2007, 10:21 PM
I'm so glad for you, to have your boy's home.

Hoping that it is uneventful from here on out.

Enjoy the Holidays!!!! So nice to be surrounded by your loved one's.

3horsemom
Dec. 14, 2007, 10:26 PM
good luck. you and yours will be in our prayers.

RiverBendPol
Dec. 15, 2007, 07:45 AM
Oh gosh, those pix made me weep. I so hope recovery goes perfectly. Those boys are in mighty good hands. Take care of yourself, too.

frugalannie
Dec. 15, 2007, 07:48 AM
Reason has got the cutest ears EVER!

Please post more pics without the blue hat: he's growing up so quickly.

RunForIt
Dec. 15, 2007, 07:55 AM
As always, the boys are in the best of hands...even at home. Does this mean you will or won't get more sleep? (Please do so! :yes: )

I'm relieved for Taco and Reason that they are with you - me too.

Tis the season - BELIEVE!!!! :cool:

FlightCheck
Dec. 15, 2007, 08:51 AM
Home - what a wonderful, wonderful word.

Annika, pls continue to update us - I was thinking of you yesterday when I went on "just a hack".

Sounds very simple, doesn't it? "Just a hack" with a healthy horse becomes so much more when you remember the times when "just a hack" might never happen again.

So here's wishing you lots of hacks in the future.

Cyndi and the FatPaintMare

asterix
Dec. 15, 2007, 05:58 PM
Cyndi, very, very good thought.
We are ALL so excited for you!!!! Please, please keep us posted. You do have a whole invisible gang hanging on your every post!

Tiempo
Dec. 15, 2007, 06:05 PM
Oh Annika, I'm So pleased that things seem to be looking up (knocking VERY hard on wood) :)

I'll call you soon about that other thing. I'm ready....last night, relaxing on the couch watching a movie and she lauched herself six feet from the floor directly into my right eyeball. This one has 'barn kitty' written all over her :lol:

Alison

monstrpony
Dec. 15, 2007, 06:07 PM
Annikak, now THAT post brought tears to my eyes! I so hope you and your horses have turned a corner and that you'll all get a break from Drs. Stick and Stack, wonderful as they are.

The reward for us is that you are able to give your horses this wonderful care and there is good hope that you all will come out the other side with a happy ending. What better to wish for in this season?

mbj
Dec. 15, 2007, 06:14 PM
whoohoo HAPPY DANCE TIME!!!! shhh.... don't want the boys to hear! Reason looks absolutely adorable and sooo full of tude-- the good kind!

BBowen
Dec. 15, 2007, 06:54 PM
Annikak:

I am so glad that both the boys are home and snug in their own surrounding. You have gone through so much. It isn't strange that you would turn to your BB friends. Everyone here is a horse person and understands the devotion to your horses. At some point, each of us have needed that extra support that only other horse people can give. Hugs, my friend. Wishing for a speedy and 100% recovery for your babies.

cyriz's mom
Dec. 15, 2007, 07:49 PM
YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm so glad they're home!

Many jingles for their continued health and fast, complete recovery...and your sanity!

onetempies
Dec. 15, 2007, 08:44 PM
So are the boys all tucked cozy in their stalls? It has been snowing in Howell for the past 2 hours now. UGH.... not sure if this will be good or bad for all of the ice we still have on the ground and in pastures. :eek: Looks like I may not be doing much of anything for my bday tomorrow. :lol: (Except maybe DIGGING myself out of the house and into the barn) :rolleyes:

RiverBendPol
Dec. 20, 2007, 11:08 AM
Welllll, you can't just take them home and make them cozy and then forget about US out here in cyber land. How are the boys doing? And what about you, are you exhausted? Is anybody taking care of YOU??? Hoping you are all looking forward to a happy Christmas AT HOME.:winkgrin:

annikak
Dec. 21, 2007, 09:40 AM
I feel properly corrected!:lol: Well, on a non-horsey note- Grandchild # 2 was born last night( I am of course a VERY young Grandmom! :D) Grandchild #1 is VERY active! And Does Not Sleep Well with Grandma!

Anyway- horses are okay right now- Taco's eye looks good, I think- still has the retina wrinkling- and of course(!) has another ulcer, but overall, I think things look good- Plan to begin to ride him soon. (I have not sat on a horse in well over a month~!) And, they had started him on Lysine- 4 Gms 2 times a day. I know nothing about that, so will be COTH'ing it in a moment!

Reason is home and bright- he has some small areas of concern-has a grape sized swelling over his cath site, but I think hot compressing will help that. He most importantly remains happy and afebrile. He is an amazing, cheerful, smart and funny boy.

It is indeed the most wondeful gift to have them home- the barn feels "right" Meds every 6 hrs, but that ends on Sunday.

I hope everyones holiday is as wonderful as mine is shaping up to be!

bambam
Dec. 21, 2007, 10:02 AM
Thanks for the update- keeping my fingers crossed for uneventful recoveries!!!

BBowen
Dec. 21, 2007, 10:24 AM
Congratulation on the new grandbaby. You are just having all kind of excitement!!! The other you could have done without. Love to hear that things are starting to feel "right" again and you can relax a bit over the holidays. Hope all remains on the healing path and that you have a wonderful Christmas and New Year.

RiverBendPol
Dec. 21, 2007, 11:50 AM
Oh phew. And congrats on the baby. 'Never a dull moment' sure applies to you and yours! With any luck the moments will all be happy ones.

scavenger
Dec. 21, 2007, 11:56 AM
Glad to hear all is going well. I don't post often but have been keeping track by lurking. You deserve a veryvery Merry Christmas.
Jamie