PDA

View Full Version : Tracking down an unknown named full sister

Wigwag
Nov. 28, 2007, 02:46 PM
Hey all - my first post in this section, as I don't have a racer! I am curious about my TB's full sister as I believe she ran in some races (probably not anything "fancy"). She is a year younger than him. I don't know her name, or know where she's at now. I got mine before he was old enough to ever hit the track, and the breeder invited me to take a look at the sister when she was a yearling and prior to her sale. Her new owner later contacted me asking if my guy was for sale, and if he had been gelded yet (he had). He did not seem at all interested in inviting me out to see the filly, the conversation pretty much ended when the word "geld" came up.

Mine is 5 1/2 now, putting her at 4 1/2. I don't know her name, but his sire/dam are listed on the pedigree lookup site, as is he. How would I go about finding "relatives" - so to speak? I had hoped there would be a link to click on or something that would give a full list of all registered horses out of/by the dam/sire, but it apparently isn't that easy. LOL

I'm just curious how she's doing, if she ever did anything decent on the track, and where she is now.

Thanks for any suggestions

Alagirl
Nov. 28, 2007, 02:48 PM
delmar pedigree site had several functions to track offspring ans siblings. I am not sure though how much of the fun stuff is still free...

summerhorse
Nov. 28, 2007, 02:51 PM
Go here and put in the dam and the year and it will give you the name if she was registered (I mean named) and if she raced she had to have been! =)

https://nominations.breederscup.com/bcFoalVerificationForm.cfm

I'd have done it but I don't know the names! =)

Texarkana
Nov. 28, 2007, 02:52 PM
Well, what's your horse's name or the dam's name?

You can go to pedigreequery.com and type in your horses name. Then click on the dam. Under "Reports" at the top of the page (right above the horse's name), choose "Progeny" from the drop down menu. Any progeny will be listed by their name. That is a free service and you don't have to be a registered member to do that.

If your horse's sister isn't listed on Pedigree Query, there is something called "The American Produce Records" (or APR) that is software that lists all registered foals, their pedigrees, performance records, etc. Several people who post on this board have copies of it and can look up all the progeny of your horse's dam.

Hope this helps!

witherbee
Nov. 28, 2007, 02:53 PM
If you have the sire and dam, I'd be happy to look her up on APR.... PM me or post it.

Drvmb1ggl3
Nov. 28, 2007, 02:55 PM
You can look up the progeny of any horse on Pedigreequery.com, just click where is says "Reports" and a pop-up menu pops up.
For example, her is the progeny report for Somethingroyal (http://www.pedigreequery.com/progeny/somethingroyal).

Of course not every horse is entered in pedigreequery, and there is also some erroneous data ( it's open to anyone to edit) so to get an official list of progeny for any mare you can go to equineline.com (http://www.equineline.com/prodsamp.cfm?CFID=14989511&CFTOKEN=41401904), a wing of the JC. A simple produce report for any mare costs just $1

Wigwag
Nov. 28, 2007, 03:03 PM
haha - sorry - I should have clarifed. I'm sure she was NAMED. I just don't, however, know her name in order to look it up.

Wigwag
Nov. 28, 2007, 03:11 PM
Hmmmmm either I'm doing something wrong, or the information is entered incorrectly.

I went to pedigreequery.com, typed in my horses name. It brought up his pedigree. So I clicked on his dam's name. Brought up hers. I then clicked on "progeny" and it brought up two horses:

My horse, with the incorrect foal year (2003, when he is 2002). The second horse listed was my horses SIRE who was also listed as a foal year of 2003, when he is a 1993. And no, my horses sire is not the offspring of his dam. lol

I will pm some info to those that said I could. thanks. :) I'm sure the filly didn't get far, but I'm just curious where she ended up. Did not sound like her owner really cared one way or the other for his racers. He commented during the conversation that perhaps one day I could purchase her when she couldn't race anymore. Kind of sad, but the reality of the biz I suppose.

EDIT - whoops, I did find her! Thanks guys. Her name is similar to the sire, so when I glanced through I thought it was his name. My horse is still listed as the incorrect birth year (not important I suppose) and both the filly and he are listed as 2003. It appears she is, or was, racing. 13 starts, 1 win, 5 places, 2 shows

witherbee
Nov. 28, 2007, 04:36 PM
Yes, Pedigree query information can be edited by anyone and entered by anyone, so it is not always accurate. You can correct your horse's info by clinking on Maintenance and changing it.
Here is the APR on your horse's dam - she only had the 2 foals:

THORN MUSIC, 1992, Thorn Dance- Folk Music by Cornish Prince.
YRS ST WN PL SH EARNED SR SSI
2002 Cheatin Song,B,c,Siberian Tiger Unraced
DP = 6-2-4-0-0 DI = 5.00 CD = 1.17
2003 Siberian Music,Dkbbr,f,Siberian Tiger 2 13 1 5 2 31,345 ( 74) 0.77
North America 2 YO Record 3 1 1 0 13,775 ( 74)
North America Dirt Sprints 11 1 5 1 29,680 ( 74)
North America Dirt Routes 2 0 0 1 1,665 ( 66)
North America Muddy/Sloppy 1 0 1 0 3,500 ( 67)
DP = 6-2-4-0-0 DI = 5.00 CD = 1.17 AWD = 6.00

Wigwag
Nov. 28, 2007, 04:46 PM
Thanks again guys! I replied back to all the pm's, hope I didn't miss anything. I have learned a little today about pedigrees (of which I previously knew little about) and how to search for things.

So thanks for taking the time to explain it. :)

I did pm someone back asking what the numbers mean, especially on mine who has never raced. The part where it says DP = etc etc etc

What does that mean?

witherbee
Nov. 28, 2007, 05:20 PM
I replied to you, but for others reading, those are Dosage stats. DP=Dosage Points, DI is the Dosage Index and CD= Center of Distribution (I think). These are supposed to indicte what type of a runner the horse will be - long, medium or short distances, speed and stamina etc. Terms like "classic", "brilliant" etc are used to denote the type of runner and it's based on their pedigree. If you do a search in this forum, others explain it much better than my poor attempt.

Texarkana
Nov. 28, 2007, 05:22 PM
For a full explanation on the "dosage profile" (DP), and info on how to read the APR report, check out the Racing 101 sticky thread at the top of the forum:

http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=24861

:)

Wigwag
Nov. 28, 2007, 10:05 PM
hmmm....I read that, three times, and it's just not really sinking in. As I said, I know little of this side of the horse world other than the result of the race world (OTTB's) that I worked with over the years. Mostly what I don't get is the DI and CD....

Does anyone care to break it down on my horse and tell me what his numbers would tell you, as an experienced horse person? When I look at him, he doesn't really look like a racehorse. But then again, he's always a little on the (cough) heavy side. He's a VERY easy keeper! Only gets a handful of oats twice a day for his supplements, otherwise just plently of good hay and grass.

But he just seems heavy bodied in general to me. I like him because of it, but I can't picture him on a racetrack. Heck, I have to use plently of leg (not kicking, just firm) just to keep him moving at a nice canter. :winkgrin: