PDA

View Full Version : Weridest thing you have ever seen?

hunter-eventer-hunter
Nov. 28, 2007, 01:32 PM
I was thinking after reading about the drama of the AA/A H/J shows of late; what is the weirdest thing you have seen in Eventing Land? Not tragic just plain, head turning, eye popping odd?

eqsiu
Nov. 28, 2007, 03:11 PM
? Give me some examples.

Hilary
Nov. 28, 2007, 03:38 PM
You mean the middle aged woman on the more than middle aged horse wearing sparkly/spangly/slinky helmet & vest covers with sparkle bell boots and brushing boots?

Or the horse jumps out of the ring, rider turns around, jumps back in and continues the course?

snoopy
Nov. 28, 2007, 03:42 PM
Or the horse jumps out of the ring, rider turns around, jumps back in and continues the course?

Absolutely FABULOUS!!! Good for her. My horses go out the same way the came in...and if that means doing what she did, finishing the course and walking out the gate...you bet your ass I would do the same thing.:D

deltawave
Nov. 28, 2007, 03:44 PM
A WELL-beyond-middle-aged woman in neon pink EVERYTHING, including bridle, martingale, boots, crop, helmet, vest and sports bra with NO SHIRT, before that became (mercifully) illegal. :dead: :dead:

A big, fat, black draft horse named Tinkerbell thundering around at BN. :lol: :D

All of those itty bitty mutant dogs that people carry around at horse shows nowadays, shivering and looking as if they're going to die of apoplexy at any moment. Gross!

snoopy
Nov. 28, 2007, 03:48 PM
All of those itty bitty mutant dogs that people carry around at horse shows nowadays, shivering and looking as if they're going to die of apoplexy at any moment. Gross!

The "kick me" dogs!!!:D

FlightCheck
Nov. 28, 2007, 03:55 PM
The woman who rides XC with a big TASSLE hanging down from her horse's girth, giving all the fence judges heart apoplexy (which I think I spelled wrong)

merry_one
Nov. 28, 2007, 04:18 PM
Saw a girl in the warm up down at Menfelt in Maryland. Her horse was stopping like a fat lady at the donut stand. She fell off twice before she went off to the start box. I seem to remember she was going YR Prelim and was definately riding her horse is some kind of hackamore thing. I was sitting at the water when she came over the fourth fence, a tiger trap, when it occurred to me how scary it was going to be to watch her do the water so I got up and walked down a side road to the back part of the course when.... lo and behold...
here comes that rider at a dead gallop straight towards me. WOW, is she off course.
At first I think, well she got eliminated and is leaving. Hmmmn, she certainly is going a tad fast. Yikes as I dive out of her way... and as she gallops past completely out of control I notice ...
NO BRIDLE!
As her horse is merrily galloping back into the course, the horse's nose literally touches the tail of a galloping horse about to take the Tiger Trap... then it swerves into the field with the advanced jumps on it.
Finally, the rider picks her moment and ejects from saddle, does an amazing roll and pops up to go running to catch her wild eyed mount.
I actually got to talk to her later about the incident. She said she knew that the bridle had been broken but chose to keep on jumping till the flipping thing fell off.

Unbelievable.

Dr. Doolittle
Nov. 28, 2007, 04:34 PM
Saw a girl in the warm up down at Menfelt in Maryland. Her horse was stopping like a fat lady at the donut stand. She fell off twice before she went off to the start box. I seem to remember she was going YR Prelim and was definately riding her horse is some kind of hackamore thing. I was sitting at the water when she came over the fourth fence, a tiger trap, when it occurred to me how scary it was going to be to watch her do the water so I got up and walked down a side road to the back part of the course when.... lo and behold...
here comes that rider at a dead gallop straight towards me. WOW, is she off course.
At first I think, well she got eliminated and is leaving. Hmmmn, she certainly is going a tad fast. Yikes as I dive out of her way... and as she gallops past completely out of control I notice ...
NO BRIDLE!
As her horse is merrily galloping back into the course, the horse's nose literally touches the tail of a galloping horse about to take the Tiger Trap... then it swerves into the field with the advanced jumps on it.
Finally, the rider picks her moment and ejects from saddle, does an amazing roll and pops up to go running to catch her wild eyed mount.
I actually got to talk to her later about the incident. She said she knew that the bridle had been broken but chose to keep on jumping till the flipping thing fell off.

Unbelievable.

:eek: :eek:

As I was reading that, my mouth *literally* dropped (and hung) open...(Good thing I'm inside, and it's not fly season :lol:)

Wow, unbelievable!

ellebeaux
Nov. 28, 2007, 04:49 PM
A WELL-beyond-middle-aged woman in neon pink EVERYTHING, including bridle, martingale, boots, crop, helmet, vest and sports bra with NO SHIRT, before that became (mercifully) illegal. :dead: :dead:

Uh, this is totally going to be me when I start eventing! I was thinking Kelly green, though. Gotta find a horse to match first. And start jumping again...

mjrtango93
Nov. 28, 2007, 05:07 PM
Ewwww can I play????

This actually happened to me but I have it in pictures and still cracks me up! I was going prelim on my good trusty appyX. We were clean and fast even through the water! Next to last fence was actually the coffin complex, built as vertical, 2 strides ditch, one stride vertical. Colin has no problem with ditches so gallop around the corner close my leg to move up and he accidentally got 1 foot over the placing log on the ground, comes to a dead stop and I slide down his neck, he lowers neck and my right hand touches ground. Colin then picks head up with me laying on his face (I really got to scan this pic so people will believe me!) and I slide back down in the saddle, scootch my butt back in and go to circle around to re-approach.......but wait a minute where are my reins?!? :eek: Heck with the reins were the hell is my bridle?!? :confused: Oh wait I see it stuck to a knot on the log we just laid on. I jumped off, fence judge hands me bridle, put it back on (this had a noseband and flash so still not really sure how that happened), and jumped the coffin and the last fence. That was an odd occurance.

Here's another one from last summer. Was taking my 5 year old training, he was being fantastic in dressage warm up, cantered to the left great, pick up a right lead canter, do one circle.......followed by him catching his foot not being able to save it, and doing a complete slow-mo slide to the ground depositing me in a pile of poop (his poop non the less from the circle before!) before doing a complete ass over tea kettle flip. Good boy pops up and walks to the nearest person a little dazed and confused and goes in and does a very respectable 37.0, 5 minutes later. Bet none of you have seen too many horses do a flip from a collected canter in dressage warm up!

yellow rose
Nov. 28, 2007, 05:09 PM
this year the the maryland horse trials one AND two....

did ANYONE see the guy walking around with a parrot on his shoulder??

A FREAKING PIRATE WAS AT THE SHOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

ponygal220
Nov. 28, 2007, 05:09 PM
Uh, this is totally going to be me when I start eventing! I was thinking Kelly green, though. Gotta find a horse to match first. And start jumping again...

hehe, I'm all about pretty, matching xc gear ^_^

hunter-eventer-hunter
Nov. 28, 2007, 05:39 PM
How about this: I saw a crazy BN trip about 10 years ago at maybe, Jump Start, where the rider must have fallen off schooling, was in white breeches, and landed in a mud pile, but just on her butt, and just the area where you can imagine.

The whole time the jump judges are on the radio saying, 'Rider XYZ stained herself!'

I was at the horse park (Ky) I think maybe jump start again, and the annoucer called my uber mare a gelding during XC and that was only time in that mare's life she stopped on course! She was appauled.

Kimberlee
Nov. 28, 2007, 05:47 PM
Once while fence judging during the novice division, a fair number of years ago at Inavale, a lady cantered into the water, somehow lost her reins (and balance), got herself upright just as the horse jumped out of the water complex over the preliminary's in jump. Cantered off like nothing happened. I can't remember what the drop was from the preliminary jump down into the water, but that little novice horse had no trouble jumping up out of it. I can still remember the sinking feeling, thinking a crash was coming, and everyone clapping when there was not any issue.

tx3dayeventer
Nov. 28, 2007, 05:49 PM
The "kick me" dogs!!!:D

I am gald I am not the only one thinking they are that shaped for a reason :D

eqsiu
Nov. 28, 2007, 05:50 PM
I was jump judging novice once when a little connemara knocked the entire jump over. Turns out he was clear (who knew?), but good god, he hit that jump HARD (it was a faux stone wall).

LisaB
Nov. 28, 2007, 05:52 PM
Damned fricking miniature stallion that got loose and ran up to our dr warmup at the VA HC. They were having a mini show while we were having a ht up the hill (before 600 others decided VA is really good event and enter). Little sucker was like trying to catch a chicken. My horse immediately said I had enough and bolted out of there. Others were just trying to get out of the way. Meanwhile stupid stud was trying to run into everyone's butt.
There's a bloopers video out there of it. Got a butt shot of us exiting.

kcrubin
Nov. 28, 2007, 05:59 PM

She should be banned from the sport for life with that kind of judgement call!!

PolestarFarm
Nov. 28, 2007, 06:08 PM
Speaking of minis....
I remember walking a horse to the warmup at Kentucky HP during the summer event, the one where we shared the grounds with the mini show?! Remember that?
I rounded a corner, on a loose rein, only to encounter two kids 'drag racing' their mini horses in roadster carts on the pavement. Thankgod my horse was so stunned that I had a nanosecond to gather the reins! That is when I started wondering about the logic of two shows together.

Then later that weekend I went into the indoor and watched the "mini jumping class"
.... on leashes!!

ugh.

VicarageVee
Nov. 28, 2007, 06:22 PM
My own personal favorite was watching a water complex that had Prelim, Intermediate, and Advanced jumps lined up side by side. Along comes a 16 y.o. prelim rider. She approaches the water complex towards the right (i.e. the advanced jump). We think--oh, that horses is REALLY drifting. Horse continues to drift, right up to the beefy Advanced log-drop into water. Rider is not out of control, and everyone on the ground can tell: her eyes are locked on the advanced jump.

ohhhh Nooooo!

Horse and Rider jump the log, into the water, three strides, out of the water to the advanced bounce and continue on their merry way!!!!! She had no idea! We asked her later what was going on and she told us that she thought the prelim log was novice and that she WAS jumping the prelim jump!!

I'm still waiting for the day when jumping advanced xc feels like Prelim! (or looks like it, for that matter!)

AUeventer
Nov. 28, 2007, 07:02 PM
this year the the maryland horse trials one AND two....

did ANYONE see the guy walking around with a parrot on his shoulder??

A FREAKING PIRATE WAS AT THE SHOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

i would have absolutely died had i seen that. and not just because i have a mortal fear of birds!!

god help me because i'm sure this man is lurking here somewhere, but at an event this summer i saw an older man (50something) wearing zebra EVERYTHING. Zebra helmet cover, zebra stripe breeches, and even a matching fuzzy zebra scooter. Try that for a shocker:lol::lol:

As for the anklebiters...I'd rather have my big handsome Rottweiler to walk XC with me any day :D

event-diva
Nov. 28, 2007, 08:00 PM
god help me because i'm sure this man is lurking here somewhere, but at an event this summer i saw an older man (50something) wearing zebra EVERYTHING. Zebra helmet cover, zebra stripe breeches, and even a matching fuzzy zebra scooter. Try that for a shocker:lol::lol:

Oh my god, I saw him riding with Denny a couple of years back... I wondered if the wife was covered in stripes too. Takes a lot of focus to get things that right!

HiJumpGrrl
Nov. 28, 2007, 08:16 PM
My trainer had a mare that was terrified of pigs. TERRIFIED. and one of the TDs in our neck of the woods has a pet pot-bellied pig (Jeannette, correct me if I get this wrong). She walked past the empty trailer that at one time had contained said pot-belly, smelled it... and refused to enter the dressage arena.

This same mare jumped right past the BUFFALO at the Ark. Go figure.

v22955
Nov. 28, 2007, 09:33 PM
I've seen the guy with the parrot too!! Which reminds me about this pony club dad who would bring his pet chicken to rallies when I was a kid. I figure a parrot is at least an actual pet, and not a source of food!

olympicdreams04
Nov. 28, 2007, 09:45 PM
The mare I have now is the most wonderful horse in my entire world, ever. So, that being said, the first time I EVER saw her, 6 years ago, and 5 years before I owned her, it was a spectacular site. Her rider was, shall we say, a beginning eventer (read: more money than sense or training). She stopped at the X-rail in the warmup for Training and dropped her unsuspecting rider, who took her bridle with him. She turned on her pretty bay butt and galloped straight back towards the barn. Now, this was at Pine Top and back in the day, warmup was on the side of the lake and enclosed with a 1/4" ROPE *yellow, but a rope nonetheless* with a levee to get back to stabling. So, galloping toward the levee everyone sees tragedy in the making as she is heading breakneck speed at the rope the is surrounding the warmup. Literally in mid-stride 6ft from the rope, she sees it and catapults herself into the air, clearing the rope by several ft and continuing on her merry way. I was warming up my own horse and immediately thought "That's the horse I want!". I found the owner, gave him my card, and kept in touch. Almost 5 years to the day, his family called me up when he passed away and I bought the mare for a ridiculously bottom basement price. That's persistance for you!

deltawave
Nov. 28, 2007, 09:52 PM
That reminds me of a funny story--at Bonnie's VERY FIRST CLINIC ever with a BNT, somebody brought their young African Grey Parrot (God knows WHY) to spectate. Well, the damn thing got loose and where did it go? To a big tree in the "spooky corner" of the outdoor arena. Doesn't every arena have a spooky corner? :) According to Bonnie, yes.

So the stupid bird was going SQUAWK SQUAWK SQUAWK up in the tree all bloody weekend, and it was LOUD. Bonnie was already pretty sure that corner was haunted, and after that she was CONVINCED. Took her 2 years to forget it, too. :mad:

We still laugh about the stupid parrot...I have part of the clinic on video and all you can hear is SQUAWK SQUAWK SQUAWK. :rolleyes: :lol:

subk
Nov. 28, 2007, 09:58 PM
Speaking of minis....
I remember walking a horse to the warmup at Kentucky HP during the summer event, the one where we shared the grounds with the mini show?! Remember that?

Yep, we were there! It was really quite funny as the first or so day big brave event horses were reduced to shivering idiots of fear. But after a day or two most of them calmed downed so that the golf carts whizzing past with the driver leading a mini on each side (while smoking) became old hat.

It wasn't at an event, but I had a bit break in half while doing a conditioning gallop. It was very strange to have reins in your hands, but have them not connected to anything. Fortunately, the horse had a short enough neck for me to reach up between his ears and pull on his crown piece. I think he was greatly relieved to get a message--any message--and he actually stopped on a dime. Last horse in the world I would have thought would stop under those circumstances.

piccolittle
Nov. 28, 2007, 10:28 PM
In the videos I have from when I was trying horses at Bruce Davidson, every so often you'll get a glimpse of a long trailing thing hanging out of the corner and a funky screeching noise on the tape.

He has peacocks that hang out in his indoor.

Badger
Nov. 28, 2007, 10:30 PM
Camstock and I were watching a BN division through a water jump at an event this summer. They had a run through with a small jump a couple strides after they exited. One teenage boy approached the water and started yelling at his horse at the top of his lungs, a whole conversation about how said horse was going to go into said water. Horse was looking willing enough until the kid stopped riding in the last couple strides and uttered the famous last words (yelled at the top of the rider's lunges): "It doesn't end here!" Sure enough, horse says "Yes it does!" and ducks out and kid gets dumped into the edge of the water. He gamely got back on and the horse went easy-peasy into the water without a running commentary on his back.

FlightCheck
Nov. 28, 2007, 11:06 PM
HiJumpGirl, it is indeedy a pig - and the look on my horse's face was priceless when my trailer was parked next to hers at Pine Top one year. He was FASCINATED with the pig - kept turning his head sideways and almost squinting in a puzzled way !

Of course, this was the horse that was afraid of butterflies. Butterflies. Pigs, guns, gators - no problems. But butterflies were apparantly the spawn of the AntiChrist.

mosmom
Nov. 29, 2007, 10:18 AM
In the videos I have from when I was trying horses at Bruce Davidson, every so often you'll get a glimpse of a long trailing thing hanging out of the corner and a funky screeching noise on the tape.

He has peacocks that hang out in his indoor.

I had taken lessons with Bruce at his place. My horse was terrified the moment he heard the screeching and then when he saw them it was like the world was going to end :lol:. One of his working students said to me that if my horse is scared now just wait until we're riding in the indoor and one of those things fly in through the window. Luckily that didn't happen :).

LisaB
Nov. 29, 2007, 10:53 AM
The zebra thing is to confuse the predators when in flight so they don't get him.

FLeckenAwesome
Nov. 29, 2007, 01:24 PM
okay... the zebra guy... .i know him. he's a really nice guy, BUT..... it's a little wierd. i heard at one point he even had a zebra mane on the helmet cover! :lol: and no.... his wife is super nice too. she's turqouise. no stripes :)

super nice people, but... the zebra thing is a little odd. atleast it's a solid horse and not a spotted horse!!! fleck sure couldn't pull that off!

ellebeaux
Nov. 29, 2007, 01:31 PM
okay... the zebra guy... .i know him. he's a really nice guy, BUT..... it's a little wierd. i heard at one point he even had a zebra mane on the helmet cover! :lol: and no.... his wife is super nice too. she's turqouise. no stripes :)

super nice people, but... the zebra thing is a little odd. atleast it's a solid horse and not a spotted horse!!! fleck sure couldn't pull that off!

momma always said don't mix spots with stripes!

LessonLearned
Nov. 29, 2007, 01:51 PM
Damned fricking miniature stallion that got loose and ran up to our dr warmup at the VA HC. They were having a mini show while we were having a ht up the hill (before 600 others decided VA is really good event and enter). Little sucker was like trying to catch a chicken. My horse immediately said I had enough and bolted out of there. Others were just trying to get out of the way. Meanwhile stupid stud was trying to run into everyone's butt.
There's a bloopers video out there of it. Got a butt shot of us exiting.

OMG! I have seen this (I think) on a Captain Edgar's tape -- it is hillarious!

Camstock
Nov. 29, 2007, 01:56 PM
"It doesn't end here!"

Jiminy cricket, I almost peed in my pants that day, Badger.

At a hunt one time, a member arrived with his truck and trailer, and when he stopped and put the truck in park, the hitch of his bumper pull trailer popped off off the ball. He had driven 100 miles, part of it on hilly gravel, with no problem. Hadn't closed the latch.

bccalhoun
Nov. 29, 2007, 02:22 PM
Flightcheck: I saw that tassle what in the world was that about????

Ibex
Nov. 29, 2007, 02:40 PM
Flightcheck: I saw that tassle what in the world was that about????

Western riders use them to supposedly keep the flies off, but XC?!?!

RiverBendPol
Nov. 29, 2007, 02:44 PM
This has been a fun read and to my amazement, none of you has described ANYthing I have done over the years!! 2 instances are etched in my brain. Like crawling up my horse's neck in the Groton House Prelim xc warm up, taking down the entire oxer, falling in the dirt, hanging on for dear life, getting dragged all over the warm up ring, getting back on, going out and running fast and clean and having to cut my glove off bc my hand was so mangled I couldn't unbend any fingers...Or me at UNH, also Prelim, different horse...we shot out of the start box, sailed along toward the first fence when we came upon a TRICKLE of water crossing the path. Big Mikey jammed on his brakes, I flew, landed IN the trickle, ON my a$$, got dragged a ways, got up, hauled him over to the start box again, climbed up on the rails of the thing, got back on and got going again. Jumped the trickle on 2nd approach, and the rest of the course fast and clean. Seems every time out, I am the one making a scene...Maybe my new horse will allow me to melt into the scenery-it would be a refreshing change.:eek:

BigRuss1996
Nov. 29, 2007, 03:08 PM
Actually the most fun is when they drop out of the ceiling in front of them and/or on them especially when you are on a baby! My horse chases them he hates them. His big fear is the new swans! I like going up to visit and ride around it gets my horses bomb proofed between the dogs, chickens, swans, ducks, geese, and peacocks and golf cart there and the mini, my parrot and dogs here and my sister in law here who comes down to the barn to visit with her stroller and all the kids they have seen it all. My horse is actually most afraid of the big metal drums theyuse for trash at events..,..ha ha ha.

I would have to agree with whoever was describing the man with the zebra stripes that made me laugh outloud!!

I had taken lessons with Bruce at his place. My horse was terrified the moment he heard the screeching and then when he saw them it was like the world was going to end :lol:. One of his working students said to me that if my horse is scared now just wait until we're riding in the indoor and one of those things fly in through the window. Luckily that didn't happen :).

Weatherford
Nov. 29, 2007, 03:09 PM
What about when the fox went through someone's Dressage test at Radnor.... followed by the hounds.... :lol: ? (In the 80's sometime...)

nc_eventer
Nov. 29, 2007, 03:23 PM
Let's see I have never forgotten this- not so weird but just made me go "Huh!?!?" It was BN at the Fork probably 3 or 4 years ago. There was a pretty gray horse ridden by a not so young rider with florescent(sp) green everything. I mean bell boots, brushing boots, vest, helmet cover, vet wrap on stirrups even the poor horses mane and tail were dyed bright green !!!!! Never seen anyone that colorful since then, but my horse would dump me the day I dyed his mane and tail a non natural color :lol:

Weatherford
Nov. 29, 2007, 03:34 PM
Let's see I have never forgotten this- not so weird but just made me go "Huh!?!?" It was BN at the Fork probably 3 or 4 years ago. There was a pretty gray horse ridden by a not so young rider with florescent(sp) green everything. I mean bell boots, brushing boots, vest, helmet cover, vet wrap on stirrups even the poor horses mane and tail were dyed bright green !!!!! Never seen anyone that colorful since then, but my horse would dump me the day I dyed his mane and tail a non natural color :lol:

Was it St Paddy's Day??? :lol:

GreyDun
Nov. 29, 2007, 03:34 PM
Okay, this isn't so much weird as it is awesome...

This year at Rubicon there was this HUGE gorgeous Training log out of the water... turns out it's hollow - open it up and there's a cooler filled with beer and cokes. We're walking the course and we hear Brian O'Connor announce, "and for those of you walking the course, feel free to stop by the Training log at the water for refreshments."

AWESOME. :D

LarissaL
Nov. 29, 2007, 04:51 PM
RiverBendPol, I thought for sure I'd see one of my horses end up on here. I guess there were never enough witnesses :)

My most memorable moment was at Difficult Run, my mare's first Training level. Silly thing had schooled there over and over, but I'd forgotten she has quite a mind of her own. Perfect jump in and drop to Lover's Leap, she one strides to the last oxer, takes off.. and promptly comes right back down. Front legs planted between the poles. This damn mare must have been bred 99% cow, though her pedigree said TB. I tried to assure everyone she would have no issue with either backing her legs out of the jump or walking sideways (after all, the trees on the right had tasty leaves on them). But no - no one buys it. Not even when the ambulance sailed around the corner in gravel and the mare's reaction was to stare blankly. So we stood there while they dismantled the jump and walked her out. The look on her face clearly said IF YOU'D LISTENED TO THIS GIRL, I COULD ALREADY BE AT MY TRAILER EATING.

Months later, same mare and my trainer approached the ditch and wall. Mare stops mid-canter stride, halts, and backs the 200 steps or so back to where she started. Literally - one path in, same path out. Even managed to go straight between the trees where the tiny stream/Training triple bar used to be. No distress (on the mare's part anyway :lol:), just calmly walking in reverse. Of course, as soon as she went back into forward gear, she cantered right to the wall, up and over no hesitation. Last mare I ever owned!!

Duramax
Nov. 29, 2007, 07:19 PM
The woman who rides XC with a big TASSLE hanging down from her horse's girth, giving all the fence judges heart apoplexy (which I think I spelled wrong)

I've seen her before!! Why does she do that??? :confused:

Duramax
Nov. 29, 2007, 07:20 PM
A tornado. (or almost one!) We were at Paradise ht's a few years ago and the temporary stalls were getting lifted up off the ground. My friend's horse had a support pole in his stall that was taking flight so we all had to take turns dangling onto it. :eek:

Picasso
Nov. 29, 2007, 07:51 PM
All of those itty bitty mutant dogs that people carry around at horse shows nowadays, shivering and looking as if they're going to die of apoplexy at any moment. Gross

now wait a minute! I have two of those! :lol: In case you are wondering, they are Sergeant and LT.

BigRuss1996
Nov. 29, 2007, 08:35 PM
OMG! That is hysterical!! LOL......

What about when the fox went through someone's Dressage test at Radnor.... followed by the hounds.... :lol: ? (In the 80's sometime...)

denny
Nov. 29, 2007, 09:03 PM
The absolutely wierdest thing I`ve seen in eventing was this past summer in the warm up ring at GMHA`s fall event.
I looked around and suddenly realized that there were FIVE guys warming up for xc, and ONE girl.

Snapdragon
Nov. 29, 2007, 09:14 PM
Denny,

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

That's a good thing! Abeit weird! At least for us girls! And maybe for some of the guys!:lol::lol:

AM
Nov. 29, 2007, 09:43 PM
Waredaca has a lake that is spring fed and has a couple of smaller catch ponds between the spring and the lake. There is a narrow dam between the second catch pond and the lake and a much larger dam at the opposite end of the lake. The course had always run across the larger dam but then around the catch ponds.

Several years ago, the course was changed to run back across the smaller dam. Several riders had difficulty making the left hand turn onto the dam. So early one October morning we all watched from a hill far away as one horse and rider overshot the dam, galloped into the catch pond, and the horse swam across the pond and out the other side. For a number of years after that there were big "Turn Here" signs at the dam crossing.

FoxChaser
Nov. 29, 2007, 10:58 PM
I was scribing for dressage at a local CT a few years ago and watching a *lovely* test. Just as the rider came up the center line to do her final halt & salute, a balloon came down from the sky and floated into the arena! It narrowly missed the horse's rump as the girl saluted, leaving the judge and myself holding our collective breath. They finished and walked out, never knowing how close the horse-eating balloon monster had been to getting them ;)

melodiousaphony
Nov. 29, 2007, 11:14 PM
A woman who got lost on BN, thought she was suppose to jump the big Training oxer at the top of the hill (after having jumped the training level drop to get out to the back field, with the jump judges and TD trying to figure out what to do), making near the big oxer, and then suddenly realizing she was TOTALLY lost.

I ended up radioing in because I couldn't figure out what she was just hanging out at the top of the hill; turns out she was just completely overwhelmed.

Everything was sorted out but I will give her two things: she was NOT dumb enough to try to jump Hill Top AND she bowed out instead of continue on completely perplexed. Sometimes I think it takes a big person to realise where they are at the moment and what could be dangerous.

Still was a bizarre moment for me, as it was my first time jump judging and I knew someone had to say something... poor lady looked completely bewildered.

Ponylady27
Nov. 29, 2007, 11:38 PM
I know a number of you CA folks have seen this - jump judging at Ram Tap in the pea soup fog. Riders getting lost on course left and right as the visibility was generally about 50 ft. One poor JR riding Prelim for the first time so far off course the next rider had been and gone before she found the jump...

I also have a great video of me in dressage at the same show - shot from C - can't see much past E/X/B. Great place to work out problems on the far side of the arena where no one could see.

mjrtango93
Nov. 30, 2007, 12:07 AM
Pony.....Oh the fond memories of Ram Tap. Several years back I had a grey horse going prelim, and my dressage ride time was 7:26 in the morning because it was a 2 day. It was so stinkin foggy the judge couldn't even see me when I was in the ring at C right in front of them. My test had assorted 7,8, and a 9! And all the collective marks said was "Test sounded good, consistent rythem, would have liked to see it" I was about 6th after the test. Turns out she judged me based on the sound of his breathing and hoofbeats. Too bad to because that was my 4th level dressage horse so he probably would have scored better could she have seen some of it.

retreadeventer
Nov. 30, 2007, 01:02 AM
I do remember the fog at Ram Tap! You are not kidding! It's pretty thick!
Does anyone remember Lily Glen in Oregon? The year there were fires up on the mountain and we just kept right on competing? Somehow the exact details sort of get lost in a beer induced coma...those were the days of sitting around a campfire with people like Pete Costello and talking horses til late...

LisaB
Nov. 30, 2007, 08:29 AM
But Denny, were they STRAIGHT???

hunter-eventer-hunter
Nov. 30, 2007, 08:49 AM
The absolutely wierdest thing I`ve seen in eventing was this past summer in the warm up ring at GMHA`s fall event.
I looked around and suddenly realized that there were FIVE guys warming up for xc, and ONE girl.

No Denny...that is not weird, that is a sign on the end of the world. Remeber the four horseman from the Bible, book of Saint John. That was mis-translated, that should read four men on horses :D

eqsiu
Nov. 30, 2007, 11:10 AM

You win the Weirdest Occurance award!:yes::lol:

AM
Nov. 30, 2007, 12:32 PM
We also have fog on the east coast. I remember one morning in Maryland during the dressage phase when the fog rolled in after the class had begun. Dressage judge, wanting to keep the event (one day) on track, kept right on judging. Standing outside the ring, I couldn't even see to X. I asked her later how she could judge in the fog and she replied that she just used her ears to listen. It was a grass ring but I still can't figure out how a twenty meter round circle sounds different from a sort of 18 meter egg shaped figure.

hey101
Nov. 30, 2007, 12:38 PM
I was driving home from work on I-5S and I've seen some crazy sh!t already out here in the wild wild west, but last night I actually screamed "Oh my god, you have GOT to be sh!tting me" out loud (to myself) at this one:

An F-150 or something similar piled high,and I mean STACKED, with probably 30 mattresses, all wobbling and swaying and tied together with one or two thin cords. A HUGE accident waiting to happen. I moved over a lane or two to get as far away as possible, and after I was past I looked in my rearview mirror- there was one of those huge moving vans right next to it and the level of the mattresses was equal to the height of the van :eek:.

It was one of the most insanely dangerous things I"ve seen in awhile on these crazy Cali freeways.

Anyway, I know this isnt' even vaguely horse-related (er, well, it was a pickup, and pickups pull horse trailers, right? :uhoh:) but as soon as I saw it I thought of this thread.

JER
Nov. 30, 2007, 12:51 PM

I'm not familiar with GMHA. Is that the Gay Men's Horse Association?

ravenclaw
Nov. 30, 2007, 01:20 PM

:lol:

BigRuss1996
Nov. 30, 2007, 01:24 PM
OMG! ..........LMAO!!!... Just spit tea all over myself!!!!

eqsiu
Nov. 30, 2007, 01:46 PM

Hopefully it stands for Gorgeous [straight, single] Men on Horses Association.

Gay horsemen are a waste of a valuable commodity.:D

Candle
Nov. 30, 2007, 02:24 PM
and the annoucer called my uber mare a gelding during XC and that was only time in that mare's life she stopped on course! She was appauled.

Do you get appetered after you get appauled?

frugalannie
Nov. 30, 2007, 06:56 PM
Mr. frugal still talks about the funniest thing he ever saw (besides me hitting a tree and somersaulting off my horse, but I digress). It was at Denny's Tamarack Hill Farm back when they had competitions.

Fabulous facility, but Mr. F wasn't impressed by the indoor: he thought it was a bit small. Turns out that when he saw it, there was a novice rider in there on what must have been an 18.3 draft or draft cross: huge animal, going novice with a not very experienced rider.

HOWEVER, the memorable moment came when this huge creature was jumping stadium. There was a jump with an empty oil barrel on it's side in the middle of it. Big beastie jumps up in the air and does a belly flop on the barrel, which of course squishes somewhat. But big beastie thinks he's still jumping and instead of standing up, swims with all four feet looking like a breast stroker trying to cross the English Channel, rider firmly in place.

I thought my husband was going to expire from laughing so hard, and I felt so badly for the rider, because darling Mr. Frugal has a booming laugh.

He'll still chuckle about it if he remembers it.

fargonefarm
Nov. 30, 2007, 08:20 PM
Oh crap I just spit my corona all over the cat in my lap because of your story, frugal! :lol:

JSwan
Nov. 30, 2007, 09:48 PM
Do you get appetered after you get appauled?

Good one. :lol:

Whisper
Nov. 30, 2007, 09:58 PM
Frugalannie, I laughed so hard I cried! BTW, it's good seeing you back. *hugs*

Eqsiu, what, they should be required to at least be bi in order to be allowed to ride? ;)

eventersmom
Dec. 1, 2007, 10:19 AM
Ah yes, the kick me dogs! A friend of mine has a mare that HATES dogs with a passion. She's been known to grab unsuspecting dogs and launch them like Jolly balls. She was riding her first Training course on said horse when the mare suddenly started veering off course and Mary couldn't get her back on task (at a full gallop no less!) Mary saw a woman standing in the treeline holding a pomeranian with a little pink bandana around it's precious neck and knew her horse was after the dog so she screamed "Hide the dog!" No reaction from the spectator who looked terrified that the giant horsie was headed her way. She screamed again "Hide the dog!" Again no reaction and the mare was still headed straight for the fluff ball. Then she screamed "HIDE THE EFFIN DOG!" The poor lady's husband finally got it, grabbed the dog, threw it behind the treeline at which time the mare immediately forgot about the dog made the approach to her next jump and they cleared the course without penalties!

Flying Hippotamus
Dec. 1, 2007, 01:46 PM
I have many, mostly involving loose horses but I’ll stick with these 2. First one is about me, to demonstrate the art of multi-tasking (being the mother of 3 boys and horse trials organizer it is a required skill). Near the end of our Horse Trials I’m rifling thru dressage tests and handing them out. I hear the shout “loose horse!” I exit the secretary’s stand and observe bridleless horse galloping up from stadium. With my body and pile of dressage tests still in hand I guide galloping horse into an empty dressage warm-up ring. I close the gate and horse continues to gallop around the ring. There are multiple people approaching now to catch the horse including the rider. My job is done. I go back to the secretary stand and hand the waiting competitor her dressage test. Though I was too busy to notice apparently it still took them awhile to catch the horse.

At a schooling trials a horse got loose on X-C. It did the usual loop of the parking lot but he was an abused rescue and with everyone trying to catch him, he lost his mind. He galloped off leaving the Horse Park and crossing many roads. He was lost for about an hour. With help of police and neighbors the horse is found and reunited with his young rider (about 12). The mother then comes to secretary stand and asks if they can still do stadium… I can not find the words to answer.

BumbleBee
Dec. 2, 2007, 02:39 AM
HOWEVER, the memorable moment came when this huge creature was jumping stadium. There was a jump with an empty oil barrel on it's side in the middle of it. Big beastie jumps up in the air and does a belly flop on the barrel, which of course squishes somewhat. But big beastie thinks he's still jumping and instead of standing up, swims with all four feet looking like a breast stroker trying to cross the English Channel, rider firmly in place.

I thought my husband was going to expire from laughing so hard, and I felt so badly for the rider, because darling Mr. Frugal has a booming laugh.

He'll still chuckle about it if he remembers it.

The mental picture for this was in cartoon. lol

Kathy Johnson
Dec. 3, 2007, 08:56 AM
A WELL-beyond-middle-aged woman in neon pink EVERYTHING, including bridle, martingale, boots, crop, helmet, vest and sports bra with NO SHIRT, before that became (mercifully) illegal.

Uh, this is totally going to be me when I start eventing! I was thinking Kelly green, though. Gotta find a horse to match first.

Ellebeau, I have a horse for sale who might be perfect for you. He is really, really green.

eqsiu
Dec. 3, 2007, 02:25 PM
Eqsiu, what, they should be required to at least be bi in order to be allowed to ride? ;)

Yes. Or completely unattractive. There is no point in admiring a beautiful man if you have no chance. Even a .000000001% chance is better than nothing.

FLeckenAwesome
Dec. 3, 2007, 02:51 PM
hee hee. i love this thread....
and... we call them "punter Dogs" cause they're football shaped and perfect for... just kidding ;)

shhh.... i'm a veterinarian.....course that makes it all that much more justifiable having been snapped at by more "punter" dogs than big dogs ;)

just kidding... all in good fun. i own an italian greyhound that at ten years old still pees in my house!:eek:

PalominoMorgan
Dec. 3, 2007, 03:38 PM
Re: dogs begging to be kicked... even my good friend (who owns and loves her Jack Russell) bought herself the sticker that said "Jack Russels... football shaped for a reason."

Of course my own, kick-me sized Corgi is sleeping upside down in her dog bed at the moment... little back feet flapping around occssionally. You'd think it'd be uncomfy, but apparently not. Either way, the back feet "running" occasionally is cuter than heck. :D

Picasso
Dec. 4, 2007, 11:14 AM
Sargie and LT are not amused at all by this kicking dogs thing. In fact, once they get their coats on so they can go outside, they are going to give you all the what for! :D

snoopy
Dec. 4, 2007, 11:46 AM
Gay horsemen are a waste of a valuable commodity.:D

Not really.;)

eqsiu
Dec. 4, 2007, 12:16 PM
Not really.;)

For the purposes of a woman who would like to try dating a man who rides, yes, they are.

For someone looking for a horseman in general (or a gay man looking for a man who rides), you are correct.

ellebeaux
Dec. 4, 2007, 05:36 PM
A WELL-beyond-middle-aged woman in neon pink EVERYTHING, including bridle, martingale, boots, crop, helmet, vest and sports bra with NO SHIRT, before that became (mercifully) illegal.

Ellebeau, I have a horse for sale who might be perfect for you. He is really, really green.

Yay! Plus I decided I need a bow on my cap (since that's my nickname).

Man, I have so much to do...

jumpjesterjump
Dec. 7, 2007, 01:06 AM
I was at Mayfest, i think in 1999 or 2000. They had five dressage rings set up. i was about to go in the ring and a doe, came out of nowhere and proceeded to run and jump through all five dressage rings, and head toward XC where she jumped the hedge onto the steeplechase track and out over the fence on the otherside and disapered onto XC. It was funny hearing the announcer say that there is a deer now on course. luckily i was on a very level headed QH that thought the doe was her friend. we had one of the best dressage tests ever after that incident.

Whisper
Dec. 7, 2007, 03:27 PM
Did she have good movement? ;)

minniemoore
Dec. 11, 2007, 11:11 PM
I laughed so hard about the horse swimming over the barrel...

Here's my two stories...the first one eventing related.

This summer I'm riding my TB who at 24 still gets mistaken for a 5 yr. old when he spooks and bucks (to entertain himself of course). So I'm doing my lowly Novice Dressage test and doing the stretchy walk across the diagonal (which in the past was a tense walk-jog-walk-jog). We have a very nice moving walk and I'm overjoyed that he's actually stretching his neck down...before I know it...he stops at X and scratches his leg...so I goose him to get him going and we jog the rest of the way across the diagonal. My favorite part was in reading my comments that the judge actually wrote, "should not scratch".

OK...the second story isn't about eventing, but an incident when I was teaching lessons. The farm had two intact male labradors who were quite "studly". Well, one family wanted to show everyone their new female puppy. Well, her collar was too big and she ran out of it in a jiffy. The studly dog started chasing her around looking for some hanky panky. Once all the riders in the ring were off their horses and safe I could breathe easy and then start laughing at the situation. For the next 20 minutes, the mother and father who just bought the puppy started running after the two dogs screaming and swearing at each other. Even the best marathon runner couldn't catch those two dogs running around.

Once the poor little puppy was too tired to run anymore, she just sat right down in the ring keeping her butt close to the ground. I walked up to her and put her leash on...problem solved.

INoMrEd
Dec. 12, 2007, 06:51 PM
Eons ago, while jumping my stadium round at the Meadows of Moorpark a small pony got loose and ran through the arena while I was on course. Luckily old Herman a.k.a. "E Ticket" wasn't phased at all by this. We were asked to hold hard until the little demon was caught then we finished our course without any further complications. I have it on video, too! :D

Kanga
Dec. 13, 2007, 12:27 AM
Ok, this is one of those things that if you didn't see it in person you would never have believed it happened. It was Badminton 1999, I was living in England at the time and at Badminton with a good friend of mine that was a four star rider. She really didn't want to go because she wanted to be riding it.....but we went. We were at the water complex when an Italian or Spanish(I'm not really sure which country they were from it was not the USA or GB), he jumped into the water did not have ANY TURNING ability to turn to the jumps on the right to get out so went straight ahead and jumped into the crowd over the HANDICAP BOX tipping wheelchairs and people over. I have never seen so many people move so quickly in my life. I recall he did not fall off but dismounted to help some of the people he jumped over and I just remember my friend saying to me well, How is he going to get back on and jump over those people so he can continue his course???

I looked at her and said I believe his Badminton experience is over this year!!

The big joke became that this would be the USET box from now on.......

Wonder if it is on video somewhere???

lstevenson
Dec. 13, 2007, 01:00 AM
Yes, I have that tape! I think it was an Australian rider. The reason he couldn't turn was because he was nearly unseated through the water complex and was trying to get back in the saddle. His horse just went straight where he was pointed and jumped over the rope right into the crowd, just as the rider was recovering from the near fall. They said someone in the crowd suffered a broken arm.

The horse was a true four star horse, who would obviously jump anything he was pointed at!

RAyers
Dec. 13, 2007, 01:07 AM
This:

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2377297960099705625JfjcmS

Reed

sofiethewonderhorse
Dec. 13, 2007, 01:23 AM
Awesome photos Reed!

>> and jumped into the crowd over the HANDICAP BOX tipping wheelchairs and people over. I have never seen so many people move so quickly in my life. I recall he did not fall off but dismounted to help some of the people he jumped over and I just remember my friend saying to me well, How is he going to get back on and jump over those people so he can continue his course???<<

:lol::lol::lol:

k

Vivace!
Dec. 13, 2007, 01:48 AM
Months later, same mare and my trainer approached the ditch and wall. Mare stops mid-canter stride, halts, and backs the 200 steps or so back to where she started. Literally - one path in, same path out. Even managed to go straight between the trees where the tiny stream/Training triple bar used to be. No distress (on the mare's part anyway :lol:), just calmly walking in reverse. Of course, as soon as she went back into forward gear, she cantered right to the wall, up and over no hesitation. Last mare I ever owned!!

"Wait, wait! DO OVER!"

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

frugalannie
Dec. 13, 2007, 08:57 AM
Wow, Reed. I knew you had an affinity for trees. I never knew you were a swimmer as well.

Great photos. You are my hero (along with Deltawave, of course!).

eqsiu
Dec. 13, 2007, 11:43 AM
This:

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2377297960099705625JfjcmS

Reed

Constipated? :lol:

RAyers
Dec. 13, 2007, 03:07 PM
Constipated? :lol:

Who knew a horse could raise a straight leg that high while galloping? I swear it looks totally unnatural (hence weird). As for me, well...there was a big corner 3 steps away so I had to do something.

Reed

eqsiu
Dec. 13, 2007, 03:20 PM
Who knew a horse could raise a straight leg that high while galloping? I swear it looks totally unnatural (hence weird). As for me, well...there was a big corner 3 steps away so I had to do something.

Reed

There was probably a sea monster that needed a good whack in the head! Or the desire to be a ballerina. Who knows?

As to the face, my mom makes fun of all of my pictures. There are NONE where my mouth is closed.:(

Whisper
Dec. 13, 2007, 03:52 PM
It reminds me of that cartoon t-shirt that says "talk to the hoof!" :lol:

JaimeC
Dec. 13, 2007, 04:51 PM
What a funny thread! Last year and friend and I were watching the stadium warm ups. An older man comes cantering past us and something falls out of his pocket. My friend went into the ring, picked up what fell out of his pocket, and next time he came around we stopped him. It was a tube of a paste that one would put on ones dentures to keep them from falling out. The man thanks us and says "I always put a little extra on before my ride so my teeth don't fall out during my stadium or x/c". :lol: It was the cutest thing, we had a good laugh.

eqsiu
Dec. 13, 2007, 05:25 PM
The man thanks us and says "I always put a little extra on before my ride so my teeth don't fall out during my stadium or x/c". :lol: It was the cutest thing, we had a good laugh.

That's #2 I think!

cindylouwho
Dec. 13, 2007, 05:55 PM
I saw a truck with a 3 horse trailer at a gas station on a busy road. There were 2 men unloading a TB from the trailer. I thought I would stop to offer some assistance, as this looked very scary. I thought something had happened and they may need someone to hold a horse. Inside the trailer was a horse down under 2 horses in the trailer. Remember they had already unloaded one horse. They had put 4 TB's from the Keeneland sales (KY) into a 3 horse slant trailer and were heading to TX or AL. After assuring the horse was OK in the trailer and suggesting they return one to Keeneland, I left and did not look back!

FLeckenAwesome
Dec. 13, 2007, 11:46 PM
okay...so i snooped and looked at your other pics... and i have to say....
this is ONE FREAKIN" COOL AWESOME PIC!!!
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2430283700099705625ErYiIp

hope you don't mind :)
How long did it take for you to "land"? ;)

frugalannie
Dec. 14, 2007, 12:38 AM
Flecken, that's the one the photog snapped just before Reed hit the tree. Fantastic shot, eh? The speed Shiver was going they actually made it halfway through the trunk!

FLeckenAwesome
Dec. 14, 2007, 01:29 AM
ahhh, the infamous tree i keep hearing about! holy moly!
which tree??? i'm guessing not one in the pics ;)

TexasTB
Dec. 14, 2007, 02:04 AM
Funny, I'm one of the spectators in the background, yet I don't recall witnessing the collision with the tree..
Anyone care to share the story?

RAyers
Dec. 14, 2007, 02:26 AM
Take a look at it! We were about 1/2 way up the tree and only a foot or two away. That picture is going to haunt me forever, isn't it? That and FlightCheck's announcement comparing my not hitting a tree at Maui Jim (we hit one there in 2006) to Bruce Davidson's illustrious career.

Trees, ya gotta love them. We just don't have a lot around here.

Reed

FLeckenAwesome
Dec. 14, 2007, 01:46 PM
hee hee. sorry to haunt you again Reed! i just thought it was a super cool pic. course.... i realized that the tree was actually off to the side and not in front of you, but...being gullible me that i am i thought you did hit a tree. course, maybe you did...just not that one? hee hee. i'm so confused. but that's a normal state for me, so...no fretting :)
just thought it was an incredible picture! very inspiring...minus the whole tree part!
:)

KSevnter
Dec. 14, 2007, 02:10 PM
Speaking of minis....
I rounded a corner, on a loose rein, only to encounter two kids 'drag racing' their mini horses in roadster carts on the pavement. Thankgod my horse was so stunned that I had a nanosecond to gather the reins! That is when I started wondering about the logic of two shows together.

Then later that weekend I went into the indoor and watched the "mini jumping class"
.... on leashes!!

ugh.

We were there too, on several occassions. It was during Champagne Run. I can't say I blame our horses for being scared, I was creeped out by the horses running next to the golf carts! One year I couldn't get my guy to the dressage ring because we had to go through the mini barns, he backed up for about a mile.

The next time I was there my big bad intermediate horse ran out of the wash rack b/c someone entered with a mini...I had to chase my sudsy horse down which was quite embarrassing.

Muck r us
Dec. 14, 2007, 04:06 PM

Hard to miss a paint Hanovarian with a day-glo green mane, eh? She's all grown up now and doesn't do that anymore, but it was fun to see.

ellebeaux
Dec. 14, 2007, 08:08 PM
okay...so i snooped and looked at your other pics... and i have to say....
this is ONE FREAKIN" COOL AWESOME PIC!!!
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2430283700099705625ErYiIp

hope you don't mind :)
How long did it take for you to "land"? ;)

That is a cool picture!