PDA

View Full Version : Spinoff: True Confessions. What are YOUR DQ tendencies?

Ibex
Nov. 27, 2007, 04:12 PM
Hi. My name is Ibex. And I am a Dressage Queen. Ok, maybe just a DQ-in-training, but I've noticed some disturbing trends.

1. I dress better for the barn than I do for work. Clean Breeches and an appropriate top...BUT...the breeches were bought on eBay and the tops off a clearance rack.

2. I ride a lovely DWB schoolmaster with skills far beyond my own...BUT...I don't own her. Couldn't afford her if even if she were for sale.

3. I have an overwhelming urge to snarl at people who cut through my stretchy circles...BUT... I don't. I suck it up. Unless it's a specific, very good friend who I'll give an exaggerated evil look, and only because she will in turn mock me for my DQ habits.

4. I own a lovely, custom saddle. I feel it does improve how I ride... BUT... I bought it used and just totally lucked out that it was made for someone who was the same shape as me AND fits the horse.

5. I have a fetish for matching polos and saddle pads. Extra points if they also match my shirt. There is no BUT for this one. It's just the way it is.

6. I love going to the spa...BUT... I don't do it very often, and I never get a manicure because it's pointless.

I've admitted it. I'm a DQIT. If I ever turn into a complete one I can trust my friends to beat me back into shape.

So what are YOUR DQ tendencies?

Mozart
Nov. 27, 2007, 04:30 PM
Ok, since we are in a confessing mood....
I like getting facials. I try to get one about 4 times per year.
It's shameful, I know. :o
OTOH, I jumped a gymnastic with my horse last night.
Does that balance things out?

Rhiannonjk
Nov. 27, 2007, 05:25 PM
hm. Perhaps I am quite the DQ. I didn't know my manicures would count against me! (ok. I haven't gotten a manicure in a long time. Just pedicures.)
Once I get to the barn, I can tack up my horse and have the perfect ride, without stepping outside. [with mirrors]
If I don't feel like going to the barn, I can call my trainer, and if she has time, she'll work her for me.
My ultimate spoilage: when I show? I just meet my horse at the showgrounds. And this is the most embarrassing part for me: if I have trouble with my warmup at the show? I let my trainer hop on.

But... with all of these conveniences, it makes it POSSIBLE for me to work a 55-hr/week job that controls my life and ride and compete. (and with the 55-hr weeks paying for the conveniences)

My friends picked on me a couple of weeks ago when I said "My massage therapist..."

appychik
Nov. 27, 2007, 05:29 PM
I just copied Ibex's original post and edited to suit my needs... here goes:

1. I dress better for the work then the barn... because I work at a credit union. However, I always wear clean clothes, then again, I do typically wear the same breeches a couple days in a row - why wash when they aren't dirty? (That's not very DQ of me... I know!)

2. I ride a nice Appaloosa gelding. Honest but you definitely have to work for every little thing. He's a sweetheart even though he's the crabbiest horse at the barn. I wouldn't trade him for the world... though I would love a nice, push-button WB type. (Did I just say that? Don't tell Gus).

3. I have an overwhelming urge to snarl at people who cut me off. Left to Left except you YIELD to the more advanced movements. If I'm doing an SI on the long side... move to the quarter track... cause obviously I'm doing something a bit more advanced then just trotting around the arena. That being said, I don't ever get upset - I just go around them. Sorta screws up my training though.

4. I own a lovely, Kieffer saddle. Bought used a year ago from a lady at the barn - no longer fit her horse. $700. Only 2 years old. Little wear. Fits both me and my horse quite well. Retails new for over $2k. First saddle though (for the last 5 years) was a Wintec 500. Loved that saddle. Worked well enough for a good, starter saddle. My other saddle is a lovely Stubben Woton - which they no longer make. Nice saddle too.

5. I, too, have a love for matching polos and saddle pads. However, I've gotten slightly lazy and now I don't use polos as often. (By the time I get off work and get to the barn for my lesson, I have 10 minutes to get ready and start my warm-up. I'm typically a bit late because I get off at 5pm and lesson starts at 6pm. So, I use DSBs usually).

6. I love going to the chiropractor and massage therapist. Used to see the MT every other week. Got lax on it because of other issues (i.e. going to a PT instead) so now I'm going to go back to my every other week massage. I see the chiro as needed... usually every 3 or so weeks. I love pedis and manis but don't see the point in doing them when I'm out with horses all the time. Although, my toe nails are usually always painted a lovely shade of pink :yes:.

So, I'm sortof a DQIT, more so then anyone else at my barn. My horse also has a very nice, big wardrobe to go with it. I'm always getting compliments, or more like :rolleyes: - we're always coordinating.

That's me!

ETA: I also have the luxury of riding in a heated, indoor arena (with mirrors on one long side and one short side). So the only stepping outside I have to do is from my SUV to the barn and then from the barn to Gus's turnout... then back into my SUV when I leave. Pretty nice. Oh, and we have a heated grooming stall too. Really nice!

petitefilly
Nov. 27, 2007, 05:58 PM
1. I dress better for the work then the barn... because I work at a credit union. However, I always wear clean clothes, then again, I do typically wear the same breeches a couple days in a row - why wash when they aren't dirty? (That's not very DQ of me... I know!)

ETA: I also have the luxury of riding in a heated, indoor arena. So the only stepping outside I have to do is from my SUV to the barn and then from the barn to Gus's turnout... then back into my SUV when I leave. Pretty nice. Oh, and we have a heated grooming stall too. Really nice!

Well, I could say "very spoiled" about that heated ring. :) Herump. No one needs that!!!! :) :) :) :) :)

The breeches I have to tell you is a very good thing you do. Do not wash them often, in fact, the dirtier they are the better. Why? Because every time you wash them you make them wear out faster. Honestly, and if you have real leather seats, the less you wash them the better. I brush off the front of the legs, or use a wet sponge on the fronts if I get too dirty, but who gets that dirty on the horse? A bit of dust? Some hair? Brush it off and wear them for weeks!!!!!

LOL You do not want to know how un-often I wash breeches, especially black ones. I doubt if I do them once a month, or even longer. I've had the same Schumacher leather seat breeches for over 15 years. I keep things a long time, and I am still the same size, maybe a tad smaller. The leather still is soft and pliable.

Dressage Art
Nov. 27, 2007, 06:44 PM
What makes me a partial DQ:
I love my several pairs of Pikeur full seat breeches http://www.doversaddlery.com/pikeur-lugana-full-seat-riding-breeches/p/X1-3542/cn/1919/
I love my MDC Comfort Stirrup http://www.smartpakequine.com/ProductClass.aspx?productclassid=3785&cmPreserveSource=true&cmPreserveCategory=true
I love my beaded browband http://www.dressageextensions.com/ProductDetail.asp?KEY=24151
I love my KK Aurigan weymouth http://www.dressageextensions.com/ProductDetail.asp?KEY=1114
I love my Bionic Equestrian gloves http://www.equestriancollections.com/itemmatrix.asp?groupcode=BG00004
I like to be clean and I like my horse to be clean. I clean my tack and my boots after every ride.
I like to dress up for the shows and clinics. My whites ARE white at the shows. My boots are black and shiny. My hair shellacked with layers and layers of hairspray!
I do ride a warmblood (Swedish Apendix Warmblood mare who is really 1/4 TB, 1/4 SWB, 1/4 Oldenburg and 1/4 SelleFrancias)

Calhoun
Nov. 27, 2007, 07:03 PM
I'm really much more of a barn gal than a DQ, but I have a fetish for saddle pads, especially from Europe. Even with the dollar in the dumper, still order from Germany.

mp
Nov. 27, 2007, 07:08 PM
I have an expensive, custom saddle. I had it made. By a guy with a lovely British accent who was official saddlemaker to Queen Elizabeth II.

I polish my tall boots once a week. After riding, I wipe them off and then buff with a soft brush. I hate dirty boots.

I wear nice breeches (just got my first pair of Equissentials -- they are heaven), matching shirts, riding vests, etc. when I ride. I may be filthy or hot and sweaty by the time I leave, but I arrive looking nice.

I bring a hat to the barn, so I don't have to walk around with "helmet hair."

I can choose from one indoor (with mirrors) and three outdoor arenas to ride in.

I have no qualms about talking to the barn manager about the footing if it isn't right -- too deep, needs to be watered, worked, whatever.

I painted dressage letters on the indoor arena walls because I couldn't stand the beat up cardboard ones. (Barn has only a handful of dressage riders.)

I will re-schedule just about anything so I don't miss my weekly lesson.

I do not, however, have a saddle pad fetish, ride a warmblood, or have any fear of taking my horse just about anywhere and doing just about anything with him.

ToN Farm
Nov. 27, 2007, 07:25 PM
My hair shellacked with layers and layers of hairspray!
Mine too! If there is one thing that drives me crazy it's people that have their hair stringing out of their hat.

I have 4 pair of quality dressage boots that I alternate, keeping one pair in the trailer only used for show.

I use a clean white pad with every ride.

The mane has to be kept short and the tail trimmed and banged. Nothing says backyard like a stringy tail and long mane.

I would love to be a full fledged DQ, but money doesn't allow it.

I also reschedule everything around the needs of my horses.

Reiter
Nov. 27, 2007, 09:04 PM
I fly to Germany to take Dressage lessons and buy horse tack, clothes, etc! :cool:

Well actually I visit family, but I combine it with the above! :D

Somantu
Nov. 27, 2007, 09:25 PM
- I get regular pedicures, massages, and chiro (Just like my horse :))
- I only use white saddle pads and dark tack. Colour is garish!
- I ride during the day because I prefer the arena to myself, and I like daylight
- No radio while I ride, only CD's.
- I ride in custom boots and breeches (only because nothing off the shelf will fit my potatoesque self)
- I brew freshly ground free trade organic Ethiopian Yirgacheffe at the barn
- I keep cases of San Benedetto mineral water in my tack locker
- I, too, LOOOVE my Bionic Gloves...I use the equestrian "driving" ones because I don't like velcro at my wrists

Yikes, I really AM a DQ! :D:D:D

kahjul
Nov. 27, 2007, 09:57 PM
I have a custom saddle, really nice bridles and only Sprenger bits, my horse is always ring-ready groomed, I clean my bridle and girth after every ride, my saddle and boots weekly, I don't care for matching anything-unless it's white with white. I like colored/patterned pads and will contrast them with my clothing for lessons and clinics, Regular lessons just nice, well fitting, comfy clothes. I am a footing nazi, luckily so is the BO where I board.
I don't ride a WB, I like to trail ride occasionally, I have even been seen (in my dressage saddle) pushing cattle at ropings, etc., I ride outside in whatever weather we have, 5 days a week.

luckyducky1983
Nov. 27, 2007, 11:30 PM
1. I have stashes of white polos and white quilted pads hidden in my closet. I compulsively buy more 'just in case' with every dressage extensions or dover order.

2. I lose sleep & weight over the mattes vs. thinline question.

3. I sweet talk my farrier, to make sure my horse is on the top of the list.

4. I stash 'Ponds Exfoliating wipes' to clean my face mid-barn day, mid-show day.

5. My hat to cover helmet hair indeed is chosen to match --nay, compliment - my sweater, vest, or polo. I don't need matching saddle pad and polos, but am morbidly embarrased by excessive clash.

6. My horse has blanketting instructions about as complicated as a medical protocol.

7. My horse would NEVER take a cold shower. I anthropomorphically lend him some of my DQ attributes, as necessary.

8. Though an American TB, my horse dons a elegant, foreign name.

9. If I am not careful, an eyebrow unconciously raises at riders putting away DIRTY tack.

10. I obsess over cotton web reins, versus rubber web reins, versus leather w/ handstops - and the different widths and weights one can find in each. I dont have a favorite, but rather a preference depending on horse :)

That said --- I'll ride anything, in any weather, get dirty, muck stalls, play in the mud, jump in the ring or out XC, trudge through rivers....

It's all about balancign DQ with the dirt-loving-would-rather-clean-a-stall-than-her-own-room-horse-kid in you :)

Sabine
Nov. 28, 2007, 01:26 AM
I think I must be a bit weird- I have some DQ qualities- but not all...

I have custom, expensive saddles for my horses- yet only one nice bridle for each- of course with bling and the perfect bit- that works.
I have matching blankets for my horses- but their name is not engraved...:(
I have tons of polos- but use mostly DSBs and now of course also Fibagees to protect the ligaments,
my horses are usually groomed to the teeth- although I do wear my riding pants for more than just one ride- usually 2 or 3....
I wear the same old gloves every day and cry when they have too many holes in them...I use the same old whip- and spurs- nothing flashy of famous- but comfy and well tested.
I do have regular chiro and bodywork done on my horses- as well as adequan and chinese herbs as needed...
They have added barn care for daily handwalks and other treats- besides me showing up everyday to ride or turn out...
I insist on first class supplements and healthy diet- daily!
and yes I do get a mani/pedicure every so often- not weekly- and no I would never wear acrylic finger nails-...Yuck!
But I do like my fine german riding pants with a full leather seat... maybe I am just a german DQ...?

pintopiaffe
Nov. 28, 2007, 02:24 AM
my (avon, clearance, manufactured) Jade earrings today matched my vest for my lesson. Jade is for courage. :lol:

I have a vest fetish. I collect them. NOT retail mind you, just discount, clearance etc. But, until this fall, I had quite a few that didn't quite fit yet, but I couldn't bear to resell or pass on, because 'they might fit someday.' And lo and behold, I wore one of the fancy quilted ones with a back elastic belty thingy today. And felt OH so stylish. (did I mention my earrings matched? )

I loff to colour coordinate. I am calling it my midlife crisis. Not just "one colour for all accessories" (pad, polos, vest etc.) Rather a far more subtle, (and insidious) kind of fashion, like the polarfleece jacket matching the PIPING on the pad... The polos matching one shade of the plaid in the seersucker summer shirt. You know. That kind of thing. :uhoh:

I have a polo fetish too. But only ebay, clearance or final sale. TRULY. (though for Christmas I just might get one of the sets of the ones longer for the backs. In black of course. Which will render all the loffly colour coordinated polos obselete... ) :sigh:

Rev-Rider
Nov. 28, 2007, 03:47 AM
I guess I'm a "low budget" DQ in training

1. I'm matchy matchy with all tack being black or green, I was deperssed when I had to get a navy amigo MW blanket (Rhino olive rug was too much $$$)

2. I do own a warmblood with "fancy papers" but, I bought him as a foal because I couldn't afford the $$$$$$ trained model. He is finaly 3 and under saddle yay! :)

3. My bridle is $350 ( a gift ) my saddle is a old wintek that is well....usable?

4. My new bling browband is heading to the cobbler to be hand made because I couldn't buy off the rack( no matchy).

5. Both my horse and I have chiro's.

6. Breeches are FITS, but were bought on sale and only get washed about once a month.

7. Horse is cliped, pulled, banged and vaccumed every few weeks but I just kinda
"knock the mud off" for day to day training. Tack up time is 15 min tops...other DQ's in the barn it's about of 45 min.

8. I can never pass on a sale, I get my winterware in the summer for 50% off!!

In the end if I had the $$$$, I would be a true DRESSAGE ROYALITY. FEI Schoolmaster to practice on, super matchy vests, pads, and breeches, a custom saddle......but I'm happy with what I got. :)

J-Lu
Nov. 28, 2007, 04:53 AM
I'm a DQ...and not a DQ.

I have bling on my bridle that was made by a regional artisan and is somewhat unique. My horse posed forever until we decided on the best one...and yet I show in a hunt coat and until this year, field boots.

I have top quality bridles and Sprenger bits...and yet the saddle I own is a first generation Wintec Isabell (i.e. prior to CAIR panels) (but I am searching for a leather saddle because of the holes wearing in said Isabell).

My horse is in a fabulous breeding/training facility and I'm surrounded by fabulous horses with fabulous riders...and yet I school without polos, in ancient clothing, ultra-cheap breeches and sometimes (gasp) in a leopard print schooling pad. I own one white pad and 1 leopard print (gift), a salmon, 2 purple and some black pads. Oh, and my dressage whip is purple and my gloves have holes.

I had acrylic nails....but then changed to an expensive farrier so off went the nails.

My horse hates cold showers and so only gets warm water, even when the heat index is above 100 degrees...and yet I roach her mane with scissors and show her this way, too.

My horse and I get occasional massages....and yet, well, nothing here - we've finally seen the light.

Hmmmm, DQ? or wannabe?

Dressage Art
Nov. 28, 2007, 05:02 AM
Insomnia is driving me crazy and I’m so happy that I can get a laugh during that late night hour!
After reading what others say I have to add that I also have a hat fetish and I have a hat for every possible occasion. I own probably 30+ of them. That came from my mom being a cancer survivor.
I just ordered Anky Pietre boots and was feeling guilty that I will end up with more than one pair of tall boots, so glad that some others have up to 4 (!!!) pairs of tall boots :D (tho, I was told that riders really NEED to ride in the same boots all the time)
Yes, tail has to be banged and mane has to be pulled. But ears and nose hair is OK tho, horses need those to function.
I also have Ponds face wipes in the barn as well as a deodorant spray to refresh myself right after the ride.
I also loose sleep & weight over the supracore vs. thinline question :lol:

I still think that I am very far from the real DQs

snoopy
Nov. 28, 2007, 08:07 AM
[QUOTE=J-Lu;2831553]I'm a DQ...and not a DQ.
QUOTE]

HA!!! So ladies...are we talking "dressage" queen or "drag" queen...I mean sometimes I am not sure....with all that "slap" and hairpray?!!;):D

purplnurpl
Nov. 28, 2007, 09:39 AM
DQ:

Left to Left except you YIELD to the more advanced movements.
Oh god thank you. I second this statement. GET OUT OF MY WORKING PIROUETTE!

I obsess over braids. And I will redo any that are not at least a 9 on a 1-10 scale of perfection.

I will not ride a horse that has a button on his forehead. It looks stupid. French braids only that are flush to the forehead.

My horse’s legs are horse spray painted black and white, accordingly, before dressage tests.

My makeup must be perfect. I cake on the eye liner.
It works really. I had a comment one time on a stretch walk: "very pretty rider". Giggle.

and...The flip side:

I HATE HATE HATE full seats. Except for XC. They may save my life one day. (sticky butt)

I never clean my tack. Not even at shows.

I wrap my horse with cool pack green jelly after XC. His white socks are green for SJ the next day...unless I use an overwhelming amount of horsie spray paint to cover up the greenness.

I never groom before I ride. Sometimes I remember to pick his feet. (We are on sandy loam)

I have two saddle pads (DQ and AP) and I use those 20 dollar open front boots with the hard shell. Not polos.

appychik
Nov. 28, 2007, 09:43 AM
Well, I could say "very spoiled" about that heated ring. :) Herump. No one needs that!!!! :) :) :) :) :)

The breeches I have to tell you is a very good thing you do. Do not wash them often, in fact, the dirtier they are the better. Why? Because every time you wash them you make them wear out faster. Honestly, and if you have real leather seats, the less you wash them the better. I brush off the front of the legs, or use a wet sponge on the fronts if I get too dirty, but who gets that dirty on the horse? A bit of dust? Some hair? Brush it off and wear them for weeks!!!!!

LOL You do not want to know how un-often I wash breeches, especially black ones. I doubt if I do them once a month, or even longer. I've had the same Schumacher leather seat breeches for over 15 years. I keep things a long time, and I am still the same size, maybe a tad smaller. The leather still is soft and pliable.

Good to know I'm doing something right then! (about the breeches, that is). And, I do admit, I'm very spoiled. However, I know this and therefore I'm not a spoiled brat, right? :winkgrin: Actually though, the arena is truly a godsend (godsent?). It keeps you from freezing to death, which in MN is the case unless you have a nicely insulated arena, but if you're doing that, you might as well heat it - in the case of my trainer, she eventually did. It stays about 40 degrees in there... any warmer and the barn would need to be heated, or so she says. That's the amoung the biggest reasons why I love my barn.

Vesper Sparrow
Nov. 28, 2007, 10:12 AM
[QUOTE=J-Lu;2831553]I'm a DQ...and not a DQ.

My horse and I get occasional massages....

But, J-Lu, do you get them at the same time (kind of like couples' massage)? That would be ultimate DQ :lol::lol::lol: I was thinking about giving my horse one for a Christmas present.

As an aspiring DQ, I've gotten some good tips here--especially the organic shade-grown coffee and the hat to cover the helmet hair. I've been meaning to buy a portable CD player so I could ride to my music (which would be mostly classical--especially opera and baroque--and some jazz). What kind of hat, though? I guess anything other than a baseball cap would be too studied a look, although I don't really look good in baseball caps.

Current DQ tendencies:

1. I've spent way more money on riding clothes (probably 6 to 1 ratio) than regular clothes this year and my riding clothes are taking over my closet.

2. I do polish my tall boots often. I never wear half-chaps anymore, except on the day before a show when I'm polishing my boots.

3. When I go to the barn, I take a treat package to my horse neatly packaged in a zip-loc bag, with stud muffin, carrot, apple and 5 horse cookies.

4. I hate laced reins. Web or rubber only. I always wear gloves, no matter how hot it is.

5. I insist on using my own dressage saddle, even if it's only to hop on a horse for 5 minutes.

Reiter
Nov. 28, 2007, 10:42 AM
I don't ride a WB, I like to trail ride occasionally.

I ride a fancy warmblood AND I take her on all day trail rides. We rode around one of the local lakes last week that has very steep and occasionally rocky terrain. Climbing those hills is great for her hiney! ;)
And this doesn't have anything to do with DQness, but I have to mention it because I was so awed: I saw my first bald eagle on that ride! :)

iownapaint
Nov. 28, 2007, 10:48 AM
My DQ tendancy: Burgundy. Burgundy everything.

Jaegermonster
Nov. 28, 2007, 11:15 AM
This is funny :)
But I am amazed at the people who say they only wash their breeches once a month or less (but maybe you all have enough to wear a different pair every day for a month?)

I have enough for a week, so I wear a fresh pair each time I ride, but here in FL if you tried the not washing thing they would get up and walk to the barn by themselves

Mozart
Nov. 28, 2007, 01:48 PM
My DQ tendancy: Burgundy. Burgundy everything.

I am more of a Shiraz person myself. Or a Pinot Gris with a nice pasta.

snbess
Nov. 28, 2007, 01:56 PM
I prefer to have the arena to myself. I will go so far as to get up and trailer to the indoor I use in the winter at 7am so nobody else is there (it's a small semi-private barn) - even when it's 15 degrees out. I admit this smacks heavily of DQism. I just concentrate better and my mare is not great with other horses around. Or banging of doors.

There ya go...
Sandra

mellsmom
Nov. 28, 2007, 02:19 PM
she thinks I'm in danger of becoming a DQ. bahahahahahaha.....
About the only thing DQ I do is get irritated when other people are in the ring with me. I hate it. I don't do the group lesson thing either.
I show in a brown custom albion (e-bay steal) and a brown bridle with figure 8 nose band. At one time before the saddle it was brown bridle and black wintec ;-) I have a black pinstripe hunt coat that i show in and those delightful front zip eventer boots (Effingham's) that I show in. I have semi custom tall boots but like the zips better. In the summer I show in my Tipperary helmet and yes, i do realize that I look like a blonde klingon (?sp) in it.
My horses live out 24/7, I ride an OTTB, I ride in half seat mud green breeches. We did however end up doing well in my local dressage association schooling shows awards program last year Champion at Intro and Reserve at Training. This year we look like we've clinched training level champion.
My little red pony is all about being a DQ and throws fits about walking in the field and hates trailriding. He will jump but it's not his thing. He is resentful if I apply my right leg with a whisper too strong of an aid and will kick out and make a face. He is OFFENDED if my whip comes near his flanks at canter and expressed his displeasure by leaping into the air, shaking his head and doing a dolphin imitation upon landing. He will NOT eat certain hay even if it's been blessed by the pope. I don't LIKE it! He thinks that running in the field is a useless and proletarian exercise suited only to draft crosses and baby horses and only tags along behind to be sure noone gets hurt. No other horses need be in his space whe he's cantering. Hello folks MY SPACE. harumph.. get your own arena. He insists that it is rude and unkind to yank on blankets in the dark to re-adjust them. .. as the light from the halo over his head should illuminate the stalls so that I can do it properly Sigh.... He insists that it really is appropriate to leap into the air and wave his front feet and show people his belly when he is feeling good. and we should all learn to accept that it is his right to do so. Sigh....

Dutch Girl
Nov. 28, 2007, 02:27 PM
1.) I am always dressed well for riding (Cavallo, Isabell, Tropical Rider).

2.) My horse is clean and clipped.

3.) My tack is always clean and my boots are shiny.

4.) I have a People on Horses browband for both the snaffle and double and
now a matching POH halter for the double.

5.) I have a very nice warmblood but I got a great deal on her.

6.) My truck and trailer match but my truck is my daily driver.

7.) I coordinate my saddle pad with my outfit.

8.) I have coolers and blankets for all occassions and seperate stuff for shows.

I have DQ tendencies but I am not afraid of hard work and getting dirty. I was introduced to dressage by an excellent instructor who had very high standards and I maintain them even though I haven't ridden with her in 12 years (moved away). I consider myself a very good horsewoman and as such I believe this disqualifies me from being a DQ. I did see an example of a DQ last night. Teenage girl riding 100K+ stallion badly whacking him with a whip the whole ride. Why he didn't hurt her I don't know. By the time she was done he was dripping sweat. Five minutes later she was out the door and she doesn't have a groom :mad:.

Welkin007
Nov. 28, 2007, 02:36 PM
1. Even though I have an OTTB gelding, he's prettier than a lot of WBs, though maybe I'm biased. Plus he's groomed to the max usually.
2. I like to wear clean clothes while riding, even if its a T-shirt. I didn't used to be this way, I guess I'm slowly turning into a dq...
3. I am strict and adamant about my horse getting enough hay. He has a high metabolism and the best thing I found for him is simply tons of hay.
4. My horse has a play-drive so I have to be the annoying stickler about here he gets turned out or he comes in limping/cut/scraped-up etc. *sigh*
5. I like to ride a lone too.
6. I love the look of white polo, white pad, black tack, so classy! BUT our "colors" are navy blue and bright yellow!
7. I get very annoyed seeing people ride really badly, or, worse, not be willing to learn something. That includes dressage folk who think dressage is the only way to ride a horse...

Alpha Mare
Nov. 28, 2007, 05:12 PM
Well, I'd like to get to the DQ level but find myself having slipped way off that pedestal by the end of the ride. I enjoy the grooming before/after as much as the riding and will pick the stalls clean when I am done to have the least amount of mess for them to lie on overnight, but in the process get 'way too dusty for the DQ designation.

DQ tendencies:

Have a black mare and a chestnut, both Oldenburgs. Now have a set of brown tack for the chestnut (custom saddle and choice of bridles) and a set of black tack for the black mare (custom saddle and nice bridle with bling browband (ok, that was gift)). However, this is questionable DQ-ness as it took me a while to save up for all of this.

For cool weather clinics I wear a cashmere short sleeve sweater under my coat and over my turtleneck - it keeps me toasty warm but not too hot and doesn't get dirty under the other layers. You can just see a bit at the throat, a rich red to contrast with the white shirt and dark coat. One of those things that makes you feel 'specially good when you are trying to work hard on your riding.

I have dressed for schooling shows but found that my scores are better when I am more casual (hmmm, something about relaxation) so am limiting the 'coat' to recognized shows.

Like the others, I will easily spend $$$ on the right pair of breeches or shirt for riding but am an infrequent and bargain shopper for work and other clothes. I do tend to wash the breeches infrequently (to save them wear and tear from the washer) but my solution is to have enough spares that they only have to go a week at a time before the next pair is used. (I admit, in summer sometimes a week can be too long when it is hot)

I would do more in the DQ line but I've set myself some goals that I need to achieve before spending the $$ on the next items.. :-)

Very much enjoying this thread.... :-)

mp
Nov. 28, 2007, 05:40 PM
He is OFFENDED if my whip comes near his flanks at canter and expressed his displeasure by leaping into the air, shaking his head and doing a dolphin imitation upon landing.

No other horses need be in his space when he's cantering. Hello folks MY SPACE. harumph.. get your own arena.

He insists that it really is appropriate to leap into the air and wave his front feet and show people his belly when he is feeling good. and we should all learn to accept that it is his right to do so. Sigh....

Stop riding my red pony. :lol:

Although for mine, it is HIS SPACE at any gait and since he is the king of the Ugly Face, every horse at the barn knows it. He also will eat just about anything and loves romping around in turnout. His pen is next to an often-used trail and he saves his best antics (sliding stops, rollbacks and showing off his belly) for when he can spook riders as they are coming up the trail.

J-Lu
Nov. 28, 2007, 05:44 PM
But, J-Lu, do you get them at the same time (kind of like couples' massage)? That would be ultimate DQ :lol::lol::lol:

We draw curtains around adjacent cross-tie stalls. She doesn't like the candles so much and I don't like the essential oils dabbed on my nostrils, but we compromise with the piped in Phillip Glass music...:D

Dutch Girl? (ahem) you're a DQ. Sorry. :winkgrin: (demi-DQ? DDQ?)

J.

TBrescue
Nov. 28, 2007, 07:00 PM
I would LOVE to be a DQ with the 6 figure imported WB and custom tack, sadly I don't have the DQ budget. That being said...I guess I have some DQ traits:
1. I am a "saddle snob" would never be caught dead in a synthetic saddle, prefer Stubben to just about any other brand out there, except maybe Black Country or Albion, BUT bought my Stubben Avalon 2nd hand.

2. I am also a "breeches snob" will not wear "clarino" or any other synthetic material and love my Equissentials deerskin full seat breeches (but only wash them after about 10 rides)

3.I love my KK Ultra bit and think it was well worth the $100

4. I have a custom made bridle with "bling" that I also bought 2nd hand but only use for shows, for daily use I have a $23 ebay bridle.

5. Only black or white saddle pads and they MUST be clean for every ride (no dirty pads allowed on my horse-this just shows that my horse is actually allowed to GET dirty :)

6. I love my pedicures, but don't get them any where near as often as I'd like!

I guess this just makes me a DQ IT

Hazelnut
Nov. 28, 2007, 07:27 PM
I leave home clean

kelliope
Nov. 28, 2007, 07:28 PM
Oooohhhh, I am not so much a DQ, but my pony is!

- he (always sparkling white) is being trailered to see Santa Claus and be photographed in front of the sleigh

- he has more blankets and sheets than most people have clothes

- I will call the Barn Owner (my mom) and ask her to change his blanket if the weather changes

- even though he is a Connemara pony - he is an import (from New Zealand).

- he gets organic licorice as a treat and organic apples and his special grain is shipped to me via Fed Ex (at $40 S/H per bag!).

- we have a custom saddle fitted just for us, a custom browband (not too much bling - it's so garish!) and I always use a bit warmer if it is cool outside

- we have our own private indoor arena, complete with Dust-Down (no dust!) and stereo system (he likes ABBA)

- always use black and white color coordination in our tack and my attire

- he has two vets that dote on him and call to see how he has done at his shows

- he must be turned out every single day in his own field with his friends and he is the boss of all the other horses in adjoining fields.

- he has a special stall for feeding and then a fluffed up clean stall he gets moved into for the night.

- he didn't like walking on the concrete in the barn aisle so my step-dad ran out and bought expensive heavy rubber mats and lined the entire aisle just to please him

- he is demanding and wants for nothing!

- he has a sign above his stall that reads "It's All About Me!" (and it is soooooo true)

Equa
Nov. 28, 2007, 07:56 PM
DQ tendencies -

Only wear good quality breeches (but heck, they do last forever)

Saddle snob (ditto) - but only regarding myself - others can do as they please in the Wintec department

Wear a collared shirt or T and gloves to ride in every time (even if I'm at home and no-one can see)

Fanatical about nice plaits (including french braided forelock) and false tail

Like pedicures - manicures are wasted on me though

Am irrationally annoyed by sloppiness in others when dealing with horses - unsuitable footwear, breeches with no cellulite camouflage ability, singlets, and hair worn flowin' in the breeze (why does that sh*t me so much?)

Non-DQ tendencies

Smile at idiots in the warmup and get out of their way if they are stressed and incompetent, ride a little close (on the pony who likes to engage others in a little playfulness) to poncy DQs who show no mercy - all the while maintaining the road rules....

Horses live out almost 24/7 and no, I don't think they'll shrink if they get wet in the rain.

Don't use polos or matching stuff except for really cool clinics and photo opportunities

Let pony roll on the grass at comps once we have finished and he has been cooled out and hosed down.

Rarely have any help at comps - even big ones. No groom, no trainer. (Even when the "groom" turns up, she is perpetually embarrassed - after all I AM her mother. I could be champion of the dressage universe and she'd still be horrified by something I'm doing wrong. So in her attempts to be invisible, she constantly goes off to get a cold drink or use the bathroom or text someone more important than me, and is NEVER there to untack a slobbering horse and attach it securely to the trailer. This is despite having groomed spectacularly for other, more worthy, people at very large international events.)

Wear a daggy safety helmet - always.

AmericaRunsOnDunkin
Nov. 28, 2007, 07:58 PM
Hi,
I am Alison and I am a DQ...sometimes...

1) I wear diamond earrings all the time
2) I own a horse vaccuum and use it on my horses more than I vacuum my house
3) I always take lessons in tall boots, I like to practice as if I am in a show so when I am in a show, it doesn't feel weird
4) I always wear britches to ride, even at home, where no one sees me
5) I have long hair so that I can easily put it neatly under a helmet
6) My truck and trailer match...I am not kidding
7) I too like facials...and my spa tubby
8) Ok, this one is a bit hard to admit...I will put on eye makeup for dressage shows...(that's my dirty little secret!!)
9) I take pride that my horse looks like a WB (but is really an appendix QH)
10) My reins cost more than my husband's birthday present...

OK, wow. I didn't realize how bad I was getting! On the flip side...
1) My horses live outside and have run in stalls
2) They get dirty...and I let them...and sometimes...I don't brush them...
3) The shipping boots for my gelding don't match - they are mismatched, but a friend gave them to me and they work great.
4) I get all my stuff from eBay or classifieds, occassionally I treat myself to something special
5) I wear my wellies just about everyday, all day, except when in the house. Even to the store!
6) My truck is almost 10 years old and is a diesel 7.3 liter (rock on!). I will drive it til it dies.
7) I won't have rubber footing in my riding ring, just sand ;)

Mrsmph
Nov. 28, 2007, 08:17 PM
Well, let's just say I'm not in that league, even though I do have a fancy Warmblood (but he was free, does that count?) I do love the white polos and pads, but my boy is still in rehab for another month or so, it's already been six months.... (now you know why he was free). I HOPE to be able to afford to show my fancy PSG shoolmaster next year, if I can get him sound! My terrific DH just bought me a fabulous Prestige dressage saddle - I LOVE Ebay! Such good deals! I admit, I do wear sigma breeches with clarino seats, AND I only have 3 pairs of them...They get washed alot. :)

2ndyrgal
Nov. 28, 2007, 09:33 PM
and I don't even ride dressage. Ok, I do, but don't tell the HP's. MP, Richard made my saddle as well, for my hugenormous import (ok, he's from Canada, it's still a whole 'nuther country). I have 20 different bits. For one horse. I have polo wraps that have never been on my horse. I have at least 10 pairs of riding gloves, lets not get started on the special socks. I ride in breeches every time, and I can ride in a different pair each day for almost two weeks without washing anything. Big boy gets vaccumed prior and a clean saddle pad each time, though I'd be out in a week if I didn't use my show pads. My husband (who is the major contributor to my "condition") built me a 72x184 indoor arena for my spoiled self. yep, just me. I have a whole course of show jumps. My truck is a 2006 and so is my trailer and they match, but I had to have it customized, because the big horse didn't see any reason why he should have to stand in ONE HALF of the trailer when he was in there all alone, he wants ALL the room and rightly so. He must have a bucket for drinking and a bucket for dunking. I have two pairs of custom boots, a pair of brown field boots and a pair of black dress boots. I probably have 6 helmets, all approved, one custom Patey. My barn has two huge "swamp cooler" air conditioners that keep the temp at about 80 even when it's over 100 outside. My barn has a 100 gallon hot water heater. I have more jackets than I can count, and have a SERIOUS show shirt and stock tie fetish.

But I clean my own stalls, color my own hair, forget the nails and make up, and ride in half chaps with a bandana over my head most of the time. Our farm is next to the freeway, so slam the porta potty door all you want, my horse isn't going to twitch an ear. I'm not afraid to ride in the cold, or heat or rain or gasp, EVEN OUTSIDE!!! And I ride my horse, and all the others I sit on, regardless of temperment or training, without ever lunging. So yes, I have a set. I have diamonds, but leave them in my jewelry box while riding. And I can wrap a leg better than my vet, and back up a trailer as far as I need to. Without shedding a tear.
Maybe I'm not a DQ. Maybe I'm just one lucky broad!

Carol O
Nov. 30, 2007, 12:15 AM
I am really into my riding clothes, BUT, I loff sweaters with pictures, so I have a lot of sweaters with horses or horse scenes on them. I wear color coordinated breeches when I ride. My favorite sweaters right now are one which shows a stable scene. I have another sweater with the same stable with Christmas decorations. The non-holiday sweater is green, the other, with the stable decked out for the holidays, is red. I was at a family dinner for TG last week, and I switched the sweaters several times during the day. Nobody else there rides and nobody caught the switches. So, I guess I am into clothes, but not the matching sets expected of a DQ. No Anky coordinates here, but hey, I like my stuff!

I also like to drop names of BNT I have ridden with, or I am familiar with. A friend of mine trains with a BNT who buys bulk carrots weekly. After work outs, the horses in training are allowed to munch from huge buckets of carrots while they are stripped and cared for. My horse now expects the same treatment after a workout. Now that it is cold here, I may substitute carrot for a hot bran mash, but he knows there is something really nice at the end of the work. Of course when I was asked at the stable who was responsible for the huge bucket of carrots I was able to tell the story for the BNT. Name dropping. DQ.

I spoil my horse, but he works very well that way, and I loff to do it... My trainer rode him when I was OOT recently. When I talked to her about how it had gone, she said I might like to check my saddle fit, because he worked very well at first, but then he had kicked out at her leg aids later. She thought it might have been the saddle fit. I asked her if she had given him sugar for the good work earlier in the ride. She had not. She remembered then that I always reward work well done with a lump of sugar. The saddle fit is fine... Spoiled horse= DQ. But hey, he works really well that way! Before the spoiling we used to argue and fight; no more power struggles now!

mp
Nov. 30, 2007, 10:30 AM
MP, Richard made my saddle as well, for my hugenormous import (ok, he's from Canada, it's still a whole 'nuther country).

Isn't he a hoot? And the saddle -- OMG, it is wonderful. My horse is a little squirt, but he's very round with lowset withers -- whiskey barrel on legs, according to Mr. Castelow. :lol:

We came to the big Kentucky H/J show at the horse park in Lexington to meet up with him, so he could fit the saddle to me (did the Equimeasure thing for the horse). And, yes, you ARE one lucky broad to have all those goodies AND live near there. :yes:

suzy
Nov. 30, 2007, 01:29 PM
Well, you pathetic weenies—you’re all a far cry from being full-fledged DQs. You give yourselves far too much credit referring to yourselves as DQs in training. You’re either born with it or not and, clearly, none of you are. Also using IBEX’s original list, I’ve put together a list (admittedly, it’s pared down considerably because my Gulfstream5 is on the runway waiting to take me to Paris) of my DQ qualifications:

1. I dress better than anyone in the world whether it’s to ride or just to lunch with friends. Everything is custom made from the finest materials and are made in France, Germany, or Italy. And, I have no qualms about endangered species. If it looks good on me, whether it be python, leopard, ivory jewelry or whatever, that’s all that matters.

2. I ride only horses bred by Gestut Vorwerk and trained by Lisa Wilcox. Sniff.

3. I don’t even consider snarling at people who try to cut me off. They either get out of my way or I flash my dazzling $20,000 worth of orthodontic work at them and proceed full bore ahead, and they never get in my way again.

4. All of my equipment is the very best and is replaced if I notice the tiniest scratch, sign of wear, or any other imperfection. Mr. Hennig comes to ME to measure and fit my saddles and bridles.

5. The idea of polishing boots or cleaning tack is anathema to me. These meticulously, manicured, model's hands will never meet saddle soap or boot polish. What on earth are grooms for, I ask you! Oh, and only drop-dead gorgeous, young male grooms need apply.

6. Matching polos and pads are gauche unless they are white. Enough said.

7. The chiropractor, massage therapist, and manicurist have cottages on my property and are available to me 24/7.

8. My 200 x 400 heated indoor arena has the best footing, lighting, sound system, mirrors, etc. in the world. I am told that the Queen walked off in a huff after seeing it mumbling, “overkill, overkill.” Of course she would considering the dreadful little hovel her horses have to endure.

9. My vet and blacksmith have mini-estates within my estate and must be addressed appropriately: Her Barbaraness (vet) and His Jimness (blacksmith).

10. I never set a perfectly pedicured, Manolo-clad foot in the cold. My chauffeur pulls into the heated garage which is attached to my heated barn, where I get on my professionally groomed, incredibly well-bred stallion, and proceed into my heated arena.

11. My blingy browbands are the real thing—no shlocky crystals or rhinestones for me. Investment quality diamonds and gemstones only, thank you kindly.

Tata, dahlings. Off to Paris for a fitting and to buy some wine. (and to avoid the incoming firestorm LOL)

DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho"
Nov. 30, 2007, 02:05 PM
Suzy...can you adopt me? I'd be a great daughter. Really. And I won't desert you on your deathbed. Really.

suzy
Nov. 30, 2007, 02:09 PM
Are you a size 0, dropdead gorgeous, stylish, witty, smart and would reflect well on the most discriminating parent? If so, send your resume with photos (professional only), and I will consider you. Otherwise, please don't waste any more of my time.

Jeepers
Nov. 30, 2007, 02:33 PM
Well, it may just be a touch of OCD, but things must match. For example, I was grooming for my trainer and she never puts her polos together in matching groups, she just throws them all in a big rubbermaid container which drives me up a wall. But they're all slightly different widths, lengths, thickness, the older ones are all different shades of white, and then there are always the fluorescent white :eek: polos. She quickly loaded them up for a show when there was a pile of dirty ones in the barn. I discovered this when I went to get her horse ready for her to school. She was gone at the time and came back to find me in the tack stall with piles of 1,2 and 3 polos that matched all around the stall on top of things to stay clean. I could not find one matching set except for the bright white ones that were being saved for later. :lol: She kinda laughed at me and grabbed two pairs that were kinda similar in dingyness and told me to just put those on and that it would be fine. You can imagine about how nutty I can be about cleaning tack ;) It MUST be perfect! Although, the fact I'm cleaning my own kinda disqualifies me for DQness, doesn't it? :lol:

DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho"
Nov. 30, 2007, 02:54 PM
Are you a size 0, dropdead gorgeous, stylish, witty, smart and would reflect well on the most discriminating parent? If so, send your resume with photos (professional only), and I will consider you. Otherwise, please don't waste any more of my time.

Hmmm...well, people don't drop dead when they see me, that's a good sign, right? I'm a size zero if we switch to Farenheit versus Celsius. Stylish only onhorseback. Witty, and very smart. But I am not a *real* doctor.

On the other hand, my lack of style would give you something to complain about and spare you from further ennui?

suzy
Nov. 30, 2007, 02:59 PM
Where's the icon for rolling eyes and throwing hands in air? ;)

DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho"
Nov. 30, 2007, 03:21 PM
Wow - you're just like my mother!! :D

Your friends be be appalled..."Darlings, can you believe it, Suzy's daughter rides a thoroughbred!! Thank goodness she's adopted, no blood connection there...blood always tells!"

alexn614
Nov. 30, 2007, 10:58 PM
Ok, so after reading all of this, I realized how much I'm NOT a DQ! :lol:
However, there are things that I refuse to budge on:

1. I clean my bridle(s) (dressage and jumping) after each time I use them - even if it's just quickly with a Lexol wipe. I also NEVER put a bridle away without rinsing the bit off.

2. I brush out my sheepskin pad with a plastic curry comb after every ride. It also gets taken home and washed at least once a month.

3. My horse has a ridiculous amount of clothing, although most of it was given to me before I bought her and just happened to fit. I lose sleep over whether or not I put the right sheet/blanket on her according to the weather.

4. I personally buy extra alfalfa-grass hay and feed her a flake every day at lunchtime, since my barn only feeds am/pm.

6. I take a lesson once a week with a German trainer (who, by the way, is incredible!)

5. I cannot ride without gloves - even in the middle of summer. :D

That being said...I'm a poor college student and ride in a second hand Wintec Isabell that I paid $500 for, although I would spend a lot more on bling if I could!

DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho"
Dec. 1, 2007, 12:00 AM
I, too, clean my tack after every ride. It is always wiped down,a nd the bit always thoroughly cleaned (including the surcingle if used, and his boots). Once a week I use soap, and once a month I use that lovely smelling lederbalm stuff to condition.

If I were a DQ, I'd have minions to do that for me.

Dressage Art
Dec. 1, 2007, 12:44 AM
Suzy, that was good! :lol:

Sabine
Dec. 1, 2007, 01:00 AM
Suzy- you killed the topic...but are you really happy up there- alone in the cold clouds flying to Paris? Are you really emotionally connected to anything- or just using and perusing everything around you....??

Do you have friends or peeps that are close to you? do you wear a tiara to bed? where is your head anyway???

Nothing is what it appears to be....so who really loves you SUZY???;)

And by the way- have you ever felt a horses full tail- the soft hair in your hands like it's liquid gold? have you ever hugged your dressage horse's huge neck- that is strong and arched and gorgeous??? What do you say Suzy? does it matter at all???

DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho"
Dec. 1, 2007, 01:13 AM
Sabine - of course she hasn't hugged her horse's neck. She's a DQ. By definition, her horse tops out at almost 18 hands, and she's under 5'2." And DQs don't carry around step ladders.

suzy
Dec. 1, 2007, 08:06 PM
Sabine, I have no idea what you are going on about with your drivel. The view is just lovely up here, and with friends like Britney and Paris, how could I not be ecstatic! ;)

tempichange
Dec. 1, 2007, 08:36 PM
1. I have custom breeches (even though Equusentials does that for free). And they're full seat.
2. I'm a food and wine snob.
3. I believe in training with good trainers and do so frequently.
4. The horse is one of two horses at the barn who gets chiro and massage.
5. The equipment is cleaned within an inch of its life and is put away properly every time, it's also top of the line, and is frequently adjusted.
6. The arena is groomed everyday, with corners pulled at least once a week.
7. My stall gets a fresh load of shavings once a month (front end loader's worth), is nitpicked over daily and has rubber mats. Horse has heat lamp with laundered blanket.
8. My horse has semi-private turnout with a run in shed.
9. I have fired: 2 dentists, 5 blacksmiths and 1 vet for several reasons.
10. One of my mares is being bred to a bn stallion.

Reality:

1. All my clothing has been gifted or is bought second hand or on sale. Customization is done by a good friend or the company (if it's free).
2. I'm still a food and wine snob and my SO allows it because he is too.
3. I sell my soul to ride with who I ride.
4. Despite desperate need of needing to be adjusted, my pony (yes pony) is a priority. I sell my soul for those as well.
5. It's the only equipment I have, bought most of it used. Including the 18 bits and new saddle.
6. My arena is groomed every day by the help, I pay for this via board ($170 a month, diy).
7. I do all the cleaning, polishing and unloading of shavings (which are bought bulk).
8. Because she's on dry lot year round.
9. Because they were all inept, weren't timely or really screwed up what was going on and/or was drunk.
10. The mare was free, and the stallion fee was severely discounted.

Vesper Sparrow
Dec. 2, 2007, 10:25 AM
[QUOTE=J-Lu;2832996]We draw curtains around adjacent cross-tie stalls. She doesn't like the candles so much and I don't like the essential oils dabbed on my nostrils, but we compromise with the piped in Phillip Glass music...:D

:lol::lol::lol:

DQonaDraft
Dec. 3, 2007, 03:29 PM
I am a DQ...

1. My horse has the biggest stall in the barn (16x16)

2. She is on private turnout

3. I have a custom saddle with a $200 girth

4. I have a jeweled POH browband

5. I bought a big diesel truck to haul her around

6. I take lessons with a BNT

7. I have 25 saddle pads with matching polos or boots

8. I always ride in breeches, vest and gloves and will coordinate pad/boots with outfit

9. I have no issue with asking for the arena to be groomed daily

10. My horse is iced and wrapped after every ride

11. I have matching saddle cover, bridle bag and helmet box in the tack room

12. I have a hard time not voicing my opinion when I see bad riding...I'm really working on this one :)

BUT...I ride a percheron! So there!

see u at x
Dec. 3, 2007, 06:47 PM
Well, I'm not 100% sure what my DQ tendencies might be. I actually am probably more like a hunter princess (God help me) in that I tend to like having pretty and fun saddle saddle pads and polo wraps. However, you sure as sh*t will never see me start some thread about, "Oh, gee...do you think X will match with Y, and if so, will it be OK to SCHOOL MY HORSE IN?" :rolleyes:

However, my best friend, who is a graphic designer, decided to have a little fun at my expense. She sent me an email today with a link to a t-shirt (http://www.cafepress.com/idapparel.196651879)that she designed especially for me, so I think I may have to tap into some of my dormant inner DQ tendencies and just have some fun with it. ;)

PiaffeDreams
Dec. 4, 2007, 02:30 AM
OMG!! I was so lost in the horse world until I met my first DQ :( oh, about 16yrs ago now when I moved my h/j's to my friends parents equestrian center. Her mom did dressage and it was in that barn of imported horses with names like "Vaderschnauzer" and "Farfetnugenspiel" with white lined bridles, bling browbands and absolute obsession with even greater minutia of minutia that I found my inner DQ. She had to wait some time to finally be revealed..... my little DP (dressage princess) had to finish college, get a job, get some $$ and get a horse.

When that day came however, my inner DQ took no prisoners. :eek:

* Coordination is key-
- have various browbands and freely swap them out to fit your attire
- several pairs of gloves: white/black/beige/signature color (pink for me) and swap them out accordingly
- vests: basic black is a must, brown/grey, a conservative dark color like navy/hunter and then you can have a little 'fun' with some others
- assorted fitted polos/turtlenecks and shirts (get these at Target)
- at least one polo with a "3" on it. :winkgrin:
- stockpins! gold/silver, blingy, plain...... you name it. one for every occassion. I don't have a blue coat yet for riding a chestnut horse, but then I don't have any chestnuts.

* The white polos are absolutely standard save for a pair cream or pale grey and occassionally a black on a lightcoated horse. White pad is a must too. No funky colors for me although my clients who have left me with some various options have noted that her chocolate pad with pink piping does get put on the horse when I have on either the pink or chocolate vest and that one student's very glitzy black pad with loud metallic boarder does come out quite often- particularly on black and white days.

*Keepers, keepers all leather straps in its keepers!!!!!!!!!

*bang that rats nest tail NOW please ;-)

*Put that hair in a net..2 nets, 3 nets... just don't have a single stray flopping hair at the show.

*and while I'm on hair... gel, plenty of it, and tight tight yarn or thread please to get those little super duper tight buttons EVENLY spaced and sized on that neck. And white tape only on the most supremely gorgeous neck that is being well ridden please. As for roached manes.... :no:

* And as for braids.... if you are going to wear a jacket and look the part of a rated show when you're at a schooling show, then make your horse look the part too. No braids=no jacket: jacket=braids The horse is the one on display.

* arabs look good with short manes and banged tails too.

*shows- what was the score and who was the judge? LOL

* clinics: I dress and groom to the nines. No braids if there are no auditors and braids if there are.

* The flowers in the letter marker pots will get changed from their autumnal colors and oak leafed faux foliage the very day after Thanksgiving and replaced with the Poinsetta's, and sparkly pine cones. (All quite tastefully decorated save for the plastic snowman that now resides at C for the next month as our "judge")

*a resounding yes to mirrors and classical music in the background

* Custom saddle here too.... and another on the way. Although my latest boots were off the shelf.

* It is imperative that you know the sire, damsire of your horse! I need to know these things. ;)

*just line it with fleece if its going to touch my superfragilelistic horsey

* Massuese $50 per hour, chiropractic $125, personal trainer/pilates studio/yogi $250 per month..... riding balanced and supple from my core? priceless

and to even it all out?...

I can't.... I can't.... I'll hang my head in shame. If I had $$ I'd be WAAAAY worse.

petitefilly
Dec. 4, 2007, 12:32 PM
Sabine, I have no idea what you are going on about with your drivel. The view is just lovely up here, and with friends like Britney and Paris, how could I not be ecstatic! ;)

You sure at the Cat's meow! I bow to you superior DQ-ness. I adore the effort you have made in being a DQ. You are the Ideal we all aspire to. "God Save the Queen!!!"