PDA

View Full Version : Aiken event horse auction. Thoughts?

flyingtails
Nov. 24, 2007, 08:54 PM
Has any one else checked out the Aiken event horse auction websited? Any one thinking about going and/or taking a horse there?

Have a lovely young event prospect mare I'm having trouble moving. I'm thinking it would be nice to have an eventer audience who could really see her potential as an eventer, since a hunter or pleasure rider would never see those same things. This is not reallly for price reasons, but for "this is what this horse would truly do best" reasons. But wondering if its really worth the trip... It seems this is the inaugural year and those don't always get a good turn out. Now if this had been going on a few years.... I saw an inaugural sport horse auction once before and the turnout left a lot to be desired. But this is Aiken, its like one of the 3DE Meccas, right?

I'm not in the horse selling business, just happened to come by this horse (where have we heard this story before, right?.... they're like potato chips, etc...) And I really want her to go the best possible home where she can really live up to her potential.

ThirdCharm
Nov. 25, 2007, 12:13 PM
I have a couple of horses I am thinking of taking. I would think since it seems like all the snowbirds are is in the Aiken area in February anyway, and by extension those clients of theirs who can AFFORD to go south for the winter, and maybe also therefore afford $125 to go look at horses for two days..... that turnout might be decent. (I would go to look if I could afford it, whether I was really in the market or not!! Sounds like fun to me!) But we'll see......

Jennifer

subk
Nov. 25, 2007, 02:30 PM
[QUOTE=ThirdCharm;2825232...and by extension those clients of theirs who can AFFORD to go south for the winter, and maybe also therefore afford $125 to go look at horses for two days..... [/QUOTE]

I think the $125 for registration might be a bargin as oppose to something for "rich" people! It buys "Admission for one Registered Buyer and one guest/spectator to both days of the sale, catered lunch each day, and entry to Wednesday evening cocktail party." That's 4 lunches and 2 for drinkswithpartyfood event (which would probably suit me for dinner.) Just as a weekend entertainment expenses for two it's a great deal at 33 bucks per a day. It also includes access to the radiographs which are required of all sale horses. You'd save the $125 in a heartbeat on radiographs in PPE if you decided to pursue anything.

Personally, I'm seriously considering going as a buyer.

You might want to do a search as this topic was discussed about a month ago with some question and answers to the organizers...

ThirdCharm
Nov. 25, 2007, 03:26 PM
True, it REALLY is a bargain. Esp. if you get a decent number of horses to show up.... first of all you can see a representation of (hopefully) pretty nice horses, and see what they're priced at, and even if you're not looking at that very moment, it should be pretty educational. Esp. if you go with someone experienced who can help you compare and evaluate!

Jennifer

3dazey
Nov. 25, 2007, 07:06 PM
Seriously, if you have ever been at an event in Aiken in the VERY early spring (we like to call it Winter down here in Georgia), you know that the place is crawling with buyers. I had a friend who got four different queries as to whether her horse was for sale at Jumping Branch a couple years ago, and this was just while warming up for xc!

Granted, she is a pro and the young horse was super nice, but I think it bodes really well for this sale. I won't be there but look forward to reports.

Platinum Equestrian
Nov. 25, 2007, 07:47 PM
We're thinking of taking two of ours - one of which ALL of the eventers seem to love... although she's been competing in the h/j ring. I'll be looking for an upper level professional to ride for me if we end up coming up - I'm taking names, so if you have recommendations of trainers that will be there, please email me info@platinumequestrian.com .

yellow rose
Nov. 25, 2007, 08:49 PM
I will take a preliminary horse if I still have him by then. Love him, but I gotta pay my rent!

Sounds like a cool thing -- even if nobody buys your horse that day, it will get a lot of exposure.

jumpup
Nov. 25, 2007, 09:48 PM
It is bound to be a huge success. Craig Thompson is an honest professional who is working very hard at promoting this. It is patterned after the very popular Polo Pony sale held in Aiken earlier in the year which has been going strong for years.. It is a really good idea for Event Horses and there is no where else in the U.S. where you have so many event facilities within 5 miles of one another (4, last count), and so many event professionals and competitors in one place at one time. Anyone who is looking to buy, or sell and event horse in the Southeast will be there. And Aikenites and winter Aikenites love a good party - true to Southern tradition, so it will most likely attract hunter/jumper and dressage buyers as well.

North Dakota
Nov. 26, 2007, 09:02 AM
I have a horse that might go if he is not sold by then, i really hope he is sold though!

flyingtails
Nov. 26, 2007, 11:10 AM
I too will probably be looking for a rider to put up on this girl bc I get to be a wreck riding in frount of people esp professionals.
Please email me if you know of of some one or are looking to do it

orfeyeva@yahoo.com

flyingtails
Nov. 26, 2007, 11:25 AM
I'm not sure I can get any kind of real fence work into her. I have schooled her in hand over baby cross country stuff. So unless I can get a more experienced semi pro to ride her in the sale I won't really be able to have her jumped except free jumping.... Would it still be worth it? Based on her temperment and the way she was in hand on XC this horse will not have any problems on XC but the problem is convincing buyers of that with just a some pix of her jumping a ditch and bank on a longe and a pix of her free jumping...

Like I've said I'm not in the business of selling horses (this is the first one I've sold ever) so I really have little clue as to what I'm doing and its causing me a good deal of anxiety. I really want to do right by this horse. And I know in my heart she will be a good event horse and would enjoy the mental challenge of eventing. :yes:

How do you figure what to price a horse at? I don't want to over or under price

yellow rose
Nov. 26, 2007, 01:41 PM
If I were buying a horse at this event horse sale, I would probably not consider a horse that has no XC experience. It would have to be SUPERBLY bred with proven eventing lines. Can you find someone to take her out & school her this winter before the sale? It would only add to her value.

edited to add: Getting someone experienced to ride her in the sale is a great idea, but I would NOT have them push her past her training at the sale. The LAST thing you want is to put the fences up and have her crash & burn in front of potential buyers. If the pro can school her ahead of time that would be a good thing.

AND for those of you looking for someone to ride, I will only be taking one horse of my own and would be happy to take on others. I by no means consider myself a BNT, but I have competed sucessfully through the ** level. Plus I'd love to help out a fellow COTHer.

jumpup
Nov. 26, 2007, 09:20 PM
For those note sure if their horse is suitable, or if there will be someone there to assist in showing, price range, etc. contact Craig, the organizer,
http://www.CraigThompsonEventing.com
he will be glad to answer these questions and do whatever he to help your horse be shown to its best potential.

RiverBendPol
Nov. 26, 2007, 10:21 PM
Hey, seems printed, paper invites were sent out. I got one in the mail today! I think I'll go, if tire-kickers are allowed.:winkgrin:

Platinum Equestrian
Nov. 27, 2007, 07:47 AM
As long as you're willing to pay the $125 fee to get in... I guess tire kickers are allowed. Of course as a potential seller, I hope there will be buyers there also. :winkgrin:

Horseless1
Nov. 27, 2007, 10:54 AM
I want to go. I've been looking for a horse for four months and after logging thousands of miles on my truck and spending some cash on hotels and failed vettings it would be nice to see a bunch of horses all in one place that already have decent xrays. Plus I won't have to deal with people who don't return calls or emails (and they wonder why their horse doesn't sell... ;) )

Hopefully the organizers will post a catalog online beforehand so I can do a little research on any interesting ones. I keep seeing "experienced" eventers at a certain level only to find out that the horse has done one or two events at that level - and sometimes the horse retired or had tons of refusals/rails! I guess they didn't say the horse had good experience. :winkgrin:

It's surprising to me how hard the search has been considering everyone's saying people want to move horses for the winter with the price of hay, etc. Maybe that's for the greenies though...

RiverBendPol
Nov. 27, 2007, 11:55 AM
As long as you're willing to pay the $125 fee to get in... I guess tire kickers are allowed. Of course as a potential seller, I hope there will be buyers there also. :winkgrin:

Well, $125 covers 2 people and 2 days of food, drink, schmoozing with friends and ogling a lot of fine horse flesh. What could be better? Seems a pretty fine deal to me! AND, you never know, something just might catch my eye!:eek: I will have an empty slot on my trailer when I head home in April, seems a shame to drive all this way with only one horse, no?

bornfreenowexpensive
Nov. 27, 2007, 12:27 PM
I have a horse that might go if he is not sold by then, i really hope he is sold though!

me too! If not...he will hopefully have had a couple of successful events (with perhaps some primary color ribbons) right before the sale....one can hope!

North Dakota
Nov. 27, 2007, 01:45 PM
me too! If not...he will hopefully have had a couple of successful events (with perhaps some primary color ribbons) right before the sale....one can hope!

exactly! i'm hoping mine sells before the sale, he will probably move up to prelim soon, and with me going horse shopping next week, him being sold sooner then later would be nice(we will be up to 4) :|

Platinum Equestrian
Nov. 27, 2007, 01:49 PM
Well, $125 covers 2 people and 2 days of food, drink, schmoozing with friends and ogling a lot of fine horse flesh. What could be better? Seems a pretty fine deal to me! AND, you never know, something just might catch my eye!:eek: I will have an empty slot on my trailer when I head home in April, seems a shame to drive all this way with only one horse, no?

You think just like I do... ;)

aikenhorses
Nov. 27, 2007, 01:59 PM
There should be a pretty good response ..Aiken Is hopping that time of year..
the polo auction was well attended -but money is tight and most of the greenies did not sell for the price wanted ..experienced horses always do well.....
ck this website out for places tro rent,horses for sale etc in the aiken area

http://www.aikenhorsesonline.com/home.html (http://www.aikenhorsesonline.com/home.html)

Nov. 27, 2007, 03:32 PM
Anyone thought about or wondered how they might handle trades? or sellers turning into buyers?

Let's say I have a nice N packer, and you have a nice youngster who shows promise, but you're tired of dealing with babies and just want a nice guy to take you around, and while I love my packer, I'm looking for something young who I might be able to move up on. Let's say we find each other at the sale....and consider a trade, or partial trade? what then?

Or, let's say I secure the sale of my packer, but I noticed a really nice youngin' I would really like to take a look at....can I sell and then turn buyer?

I think Craig came on and answered questions last time we talked about this topic...but wondered if any of you have thought of these same scenarios.

grzywinskia
Nov. 27, 2007, 03:59 PM
I am also wondering about the "no haggle" price. Say I put a price tag of $35,000 on a horse, but someone would be willing to pay$30,000. How's that supposed to work?

flyingtails
Nov. 27, 2007, 04:34 PM
I am also wondering about the "no haggle" price. Say I put a price tag of $35,000 on a horse, but someone would be willing to pay$30,000. How's that supposed to work?

Thats a very good question. How do they plan to enforce that? Can they really? Its bound to happen in a non-auction format...

BigRuss1996
Nov. 27, 2007, 05:21 PM
No haggle is just that I would think. The price on the horse is known and anyone interested in it knows there is a no haggle policy so they wouldn't then try to haggle and offer you less. I think or at least my impression is it is a take or leave it kind of thing.

Platinum Equestrian
Nov. 27, 2007, 06:03 PM
All good questions for Craig...

HiJumpGrrl
Nov. 27, 2007, 08:17 PM
and what about the sale taking their percentage even if the sale happens outside of the event? is there a statute of limitations on that? say the horse sells (god forbid!) 6 months later, wasn't even considered by the buyer at the event, but is now noticed somewhere on the competition trail (with 6 months more training, etc under her belt)...

It's a good idea, but I need to know more.

2ndyrgal
Nov. 27, 2007, 08:24 PM
That also sometimes foxhunts, but shows here in Kentucky. Any chance of scoring something that isn't quite "eventer" material or is quiet enough to do the local shows with?

ThirdCharm
Nov. 27, 2007, 08:42 PM
Well, I would not imagine that someone would cough up $225 to take a "not quite eventer material" horse to an eventer-oriented sale, but I would imagine there are nice young eventers who are quiet and fancy enough to excel in Hunters (I own one). But expect those to be priced accordingly, I would think.....

Jennifer

Platinum Equestrian
Nov. 27, 2007, 10:06 PM
Well, I would not imagine that someone would cough up $225 to take a "not quite eventer material" horse to an eventer-oriented sale, but I would imagine there are nice young eventers who are quiet and fancy enough to excel in Hunters (I own one). But expect those to be priced accordingly, I would think.....

Jennifer

I don't think this is necessarily true - I have an "eventer's dream" but since we do the h/j thing that's where her show experience comes from... so they may have horses like that available... that are brave, athletic, and nice movers... I imagine maybe some foxhunter types may also be available. I guess we'll see. Should be fun whatever shows up.

ThirdCharm
Nov. 28, 2007, 11:14 AM
I didn't say that horses with h/j experience wouldn't be there, I said I didn't think horses who were NOT suitable for eventing would be there.

Jennifer

UNCeventer
Nov. 28, 2007, 07:55 PM
I'm trying to decide whether it might be worth it to take an ottb who shows great heart and could easily go P... but has only shown this season and completed BN. I dont have a ton of money (hence the reason I am trying to sell him), so I am very interested to know the answers to all of these questions.

equinelaw
Dec. 3, 2007, 02:58 AM

Kcisawesome
Dec. 4, 2007, 02:39 PM
It sounds like a great idea to me! I will be leaving aiken on the 17th which is pretty sad considering I have a horse I would LOVE to take there. But I will definatly consider going next year.

equinelaw
Dec. 4, 2007, 04:44 PM

Horseless1
Dec. 4, 2007, 08:54 PM
You can decide if you are willing to take less and buyers can offer more, but each horse will pay a transaction fee up front and before the sale starts. After that all offers will be public and any seller can accept or refuse any offer.

If buyers can offer more than the "no-haggle price" is it going to be a silent auction now?

I thought numbers were going to be assigned to buyers in the order that they sign up to decide who has first right of refusal on a horse with multiple interested parties (instead of having a bidding war like an auction.)

equinelaw
Dec. 5, 2007, 12:01 AM

AppJumpr08
Dec. 29, 2007, 08:04 AM
Who all is planning on being there? I won't be bringing a horse, as I'll be flying down from NH to visit a friend in Aiken, but we were planning on going as spectators :)

Can we do some sort of a COTH get together?

equinelaw
Dec. 29, 2007, 05:40 PM
The web-site has been updated with all the details:)

Debbie
Dec. 29, 2007, 07:36 PM
I'm planning to drive over and spectate. I hope to start breeding (on an extremely limited scale) event prospects and I'm really interested in how this event works for the marketing of eventers.

Dr. Doolittle
Dec. 29, 2007, 11:07 PM
Who all is planning on being there? I won't be bringing a horse, as I'll be flying down from NH to visit a friend in Aiken, but we were planning on going as spectators :)

Can we do some sort of a COTH get together?

I think this is a *great* idea! :D

I'll be down there (spectating, not buying ;)) with either two or three students--two of whom are fellow COTHers!

We should keep this thread going, and try to post again when we're closer to the date :)

grzywinskia
Dec. 30, 2007, 10:14 AM
I will be there to sell if some of our horses don't sell while competing in FL. I too am interested to see how this all works. It might be something that catches on throughout the country.

AppJumpr08
Dec. 30, 2007, 12:51 PM
I think this is a *great* idea! :D

I'll be down there (spectating, not buying ;)) with either two or three students--two of whom are fellow COTHers!

We should keep this thread going, and try to post again when we're closer to the date :)

Sounds great!!
I'm hoping to spend next winter in Aiken, so it's a slightly selfish way of me meeting some folks who are already in the area ;)

Dr. Doolittle
Dec. 30, 2007, 08:56 PM
:D

(I just rode in a clinic with Jim Koford, and he said that he is spending much of his winter down there...you lucky so and so's!! :p)

Platinum Equestrian
Dec. 30, 2007, 09:15 PM
Looking like we'll be there too (if ours doesn't sell here in Florida beforehand.) I did receive an email saying the registration was pushed back to early January.

By the way, I'm still looking for a trainer to ride my irish horse for potential buyers at the auction. Please send your recommendations my way.

Horseless1
Jan. 2, 2008, 04:19 PM
Registration day is here (again) so has anybody signed up?

I was going to, but now it seems as though there's no incentive to do it early. Originally they said you would get a number based on how quickly you signed up so that you would be first in line to try a horse if more than one person was interested. Now it sounds like a silent auction where you make an offer that is posted on a board at the sale and you can enter a higher price than the asking price if you want. I guess they're hoping for some bidding wars.

Also if you want your trainer to try a horse he/she can't ride if they come as your guest. I guess that means they have to be signed up as a buyer with a letter stating they have 5k in the bank. hmmmm

The info on the site is kind of broad - I would still like to know if there will be a sales catalog posted prior to the sale. I want to be sure there's something for me to see before I travel there only to find out every horse costs 100k.

With the lack of details and changing info my warm and fuzzy feeling about this is fading...maybe when things are a little more concrete I'll sign up.

aiken4horses
Jan. 2, 2008, 10:10 PM
Most of the questions you guys seem to have can be answered by looking at the web site.

It's $25 for admission as a spectator or to "Kick Tires", you can upgrade to a "buyer" if you see something you like and want to try it. The horse pricing described as "no haggle" is the reserve price below which Seller wont sell (basement price). No one can offer less UNTIL after 4pm on the second day if "No other offers on that horse have been made".

Young horses, not yet started/under tack are welcome, as are broodmares.

Check out the web site - lots more info www.aikeneventhorsesale.com

No, I don't work for Craig! I now live in Aiken and thought it would be fun to go and look. Don't tell my husband tho - I went to "look" at the Polo Pony sale and came home with one! Same thing for the Virginia Sport Horse Sale (several times!) It's a disease!:winkgrin:

DiablosHalo
Jan. 3, 2008, 10:24 AM
I'm having the same sediments about the sale. I have two youngsters I wanted to take- but am also losing my warm and fuzzy feeling. One is started but green. Shows upper level potential. Other is a 2yo. I've been going back/forth bc I can not pin down what type of buyers are going to be there- just as some of you can not pin down what type of horses are going to be there. Are buyers only looking for horses that are packers? Is it worth the investment (shipping, stabling, hotels, etc) for two youngsters to not even be looked at bc they aren't "going" yet??
What to do...what to do!!!

bornfreenowexpensive
Jan. 3, 2008, 10:40 AM
I will be sending one if he doesn't sell first. I will be signing up in the next week or two but need to discuss pricing with my trainer.....he will be under 45k. I think that there will be many horses under 100K. I think that there willl be a mix of horses from all levels. Green prospects, novice/training level and some upper level horses. I think it will be well attended as well.

It isn't terribly expensive to send a horse and a good way to get them some exposure even if they don't sell right away (although I hope most of them do!!!).

Wish I could be there but just my horse will be!

aiken4horses
Jan. 3, 2008, 02:45 PM
"I was going to, but now it seems as though there's no incentive to do it early. Originally they said you would get a number based on how quickly you signed up so that you would be first in line to try a horse if more than one person was interested."

Not sure how that would have worked. If I had a really nice advanced horse at the sale and a novice rider was standing there waving their "first in line" ticket I still wouldn't let them on my horse. I think ultimately it's going to be the sellers decision as to who they let try/ride their horse.

Since this is the first time this event is being held, I'm sure there'll be kinks. But it can only be improved if people go, ask questions, call and give opinions/advice. I started going to the VA Sport Horse auction a few years ago. They've changed the format a few times, added a "Premier" division (show record or bloodlines and x-rays required) and it has evolved, prices are better, quality of horse/pony improved.

Horse auctions in this country, unless they are for million $$$ TB's, are not thought of very highly. Go to Europe and watch an auction. They are often sold out - both for entries and spectators; first class horses, etc. It's going to be a process to educate buyers, sellers and the event itself as to what is wanted in the industry.

I'd love to meet anyone coming to Aiken for the sale, lunch, dinner whatever.:)

aiken4horses
Jan. 3, 2008, 04:14 PM
What about calling some other trainers in Aiken and let them know you've got a horse or two coming to the sale? They may not even be aware of the sale. I sold a hunter to an event trainer this summer, she was hesitant to even come and look but tried him and took him home (thank you Stephanie at Daybreak Farm and congrats to Melissa Campbell at Stable on the Woods - I hear everyone loves Mars as much as I did!). There are several (lots now!) trainers in Aiken who might look at your youngster and see a hunter, eq, or field hunter prospect. Sometimes what we think they should do isn't what they end up doing! (I know, I know, this thread is about the Event Horse Sale)

I had a youngster that was the biggest clutz galloping across a field - scary! He's happy, happy, happy now in his new show hunter home cantering around on perfectly groomed sand footing! (Nothing wrong with him - was vetted up and down, inside and out! Just didn't like to go "fast".)

Marketing, networking whatever needs to be done to sell.
check out the "message board" or "horses for sale" on
www.aikenhorsesonline.com

DiablosHalo
Jan. 3, 2008, 04:17 PM
Thanks for the info. I will check out the classifieds in the area. I've had a few trainers from the H/J discipline call about them as well, so I think you may be on the mark about presenting them at the sale. I will do my homework and try to get some interest stirred up! :)

Dr. Doolittle
Jan. 3, 2008, 08:48 PM
I seem to be missing something on the website; is there an "official schedule"??

I'm trying to figure out when I need to fly in (am meeting friends/students, who will be driving down, and will pick me up at the airport :)), and also what time time I need to schedule my return flight...I'm thinking Tuesday night (as far as getting there--the alternative is getting up at o'dark thirty to make a 7 AM Wednesday morning flight :rolleyes:--no thankyou, unless it's a Horse Trial! :p), and then leaving on Friday morning?? I was originally planning to leave on Thursday evening, but the flights out on Thursday seem to be leaving at 3 and 4ish, meaning if the auction is still going on in the afternoon, both me and my "rides to the airport" will have to miss part of it...:(

Anyone have an idea of the time(s) the auction will be going on?

TIA, and please forgive me if I missed it on the website somehow, due to middle-aged premature dementia ;)

aiken4horses
Jan. 3, 2008, 09:57 PM
Copied from web site -
Tentative Schedule:
Wednesday: Morning hack, presentation horses in hand, schooling, trial rides
Thursday: Schooling, trial rides

Schedule will be available online Monday, Feb. 18, 2008 at www.aikeneventhorsesale.com

HotIITrot
Jan. 3, 2008, 10:26 PM
Is there going to be an online catalog with prices before the auction? If not this year, is it something they plan on doing for future auctions?

aiken4horses
Jan. 4, 2008, 08:54 AM
What a great idea! I contacted them and asked if they'd check out some of the ?'s here. Of course we can also go to the web site or call directly with ?'s.

Obviously a catalogue wont be ready until after entries close.

Daymark
Jan. 5, 2008, 03:19 PM
I really hope that this sale is well attended since it seems like such a great idea for those seriously shopping. The expense related to finding that right horse can get out of hand really quick if there is any distance involved to travel.

One question though, how many think that two days is long enough to make a decision?

aiken4horses
Jan. 5, 2008, 04:44 PM
I think two days is fine, especially if you're a serious buyer who's actually ready to write a check when you sit on the "right" horse.

If it takes more than a ride to make a decision (and a vet check if necessary) than a sale or auction type venue is not for you.

Of course, that comes with experience, knowing that "perfect" feeling the moment you pick up the reins and having trust in your own "eye".

I have a friend who bought a lovely 4 year old at the Oaks Sport Horse Auction. When the hammer fell, she realised, 1st) she was the "winner", 2nd)how much money she'd just spent and 3rd) she'd better call her husband - then she fainted!!!!! She doesn't regret it, has a fabulous horse, but may never attend an auction again!

I've been to auctions, bought horses after only seeing them jog in hand and (knock on wood) have had some really nice horses. Is it a risk? Absolutely! But so is the horse you rode 6 times, your trainer rode, and you vetted up the ying yang.

Bottom line - if you can't "afford" to make a mistake, you're spending too much!

Daymark
Jan. 5, 2008, 05:49 PM
I completely agree with you on two days being enough time. The one and only time I have ever sold a horse, it took this woman TWO MONTHS to decide if the colt was the right decision and he was only a yearling so, ya know, what can you really do with a yearling except feed them and wait.

That said, I realize my experience will color how I look at the future, it's just that if I bring my 3 y/o filly, it will be a long haul and I am not prepared to stay extra days for the buyers to make up their mind.

Just hoping that there will be some REAL buyers there and not just a bunch of lookers using it as an excuse to meet up and look at horses that they cannot afford or have no interest in purchasing. Yes, I'll probably get crabbed at about that last statement, but I'm sure many can imagine the scenario.....:(

3dazey
Jan. 5, 2008, 06:44 PM
I think you will be safe from the tire-kickers. Since there is a substantial participation fee for potential buyers, I think the majority will be seriously looking. A friend of mine is in the market for a nice, young but going horse and is thinking about attending. She asked if I would come with her, but since I'm NOT in the market, I can't justify the fee to come along. So one less looky-loo for you to worry about. :lol:

aiken4horses
Jan. 6, 2008, 05:37 PM
...it's just that if I bring my 3 y/o filly, it will be a long haul and I am not prepared to stay extra days for the buyers to make up their mind.:(

I understand, but at the very least it's a great learning experience for your filly. Similar conditions to a show. If she's broke, hack her around, let her experience everything. You never know what contacts you'll make that might "follow you home".