PDA

View Full Version : Spinoff: What makes you NOT a DQ

Reiter
Nov. 23, 2007, 05:49 PM
Personal experiences only please! :D

DQ faux pas I have performed myself are among others:
Showing up at fancy Dressage barn for lesson in my little Geo Metro with the squeeling fan belt and actually parking it right there with all the fancy Beemers, Mercedes', Lexus' etc. Wearing shoes that had holes in them and chaps with fringes (think western or harley davidson ;) ) and riding pants were the button had popped off (hidden by the belt I hoped)! I was so obviously not a DQ that the barn help thought I was one of them and after unsaddling, washing and returning the schoolmaster to his stall I was shown how to clean the tack! :lol:
Not only does my dressage horse not live in a stall, I take her on 4-6 hour trail rides with a bunch of women called the saddlebags and jump her too. I love Dressage, but I need the other stuff to stay sane and keep from become too uptight! :winkgrin:

SillyHorse
Nov. 23, 2007, 06:56 PM
I wear a helmet!

sabriel
Nov. 23, 2007, 07:08 PM
When I finally outgrew my first pair of tall boots, I did not have enough money to buy a new pair. To top it all off, I found out I didn't fit the night before a show!! It had been a few seasons sense I had used them... I should have known! So, I ended up cutting them down the inside where nobody would be able to see and used black duct taped to extend them the amount I needed.

Now, it wouldn't be that big of a deal, but I did not replace those boots (and showed multiple times in them) until the next year!

That is what I did as a broke college student.

I still find shortcuts, though none as drastic. This is why I am not a DQ :)

AndalusianMom
Nov. 23, 2007, 07:31 PM
1. I drive a yellow Subaru wagon with 93,000 miles on it.
2. I have never had a : manicure, pedicure, massage, body wrap, facial, or my hair "done".
3. I actually ride my horses 4 or 5 times a week.
4. I clean all the barn tack and sweep aisles to help the barn workers.
5. I don't show (or show off).
6. In clinics, I want to work on what I DON'T do well.
7. My horses' hair is better groomed than my own.
8. No bling in sight.
9. I'm the first to laugh at myself.

and finally,
10. I SWEAT. ;)

Mary in Area 1
Nov. 23, 2007, 08:19 PM
I clean my own gelding's sheath.

Equibrit
Nov. 23, 2007, 08:41 PM
I shovel my own horses' shit!

( Poop observation is the window to your horses soul!)

Twiliath
Nov. 23, 2007, 08:55 PM
Cutting and pasting from others' posts and adding my own nuances:

1. I drive a beat up '93 Honda Accord with 270,000 miles on it.
2. I have never had a : manicure or a pedicure. Tut I am a massager therapist.
3. I actually ride my horse 3 times a week.
4. I clean some of the barn tack and my own and sweep aisles to help the barn workers and feed hay and bring in and let out.
5. I don't show (or show off).
6. I don't clinic; I don't have the dough.
7. My horses' hair is better groomed than my own.
8. No bling in sight.
9. I'm the first to laugh at myself.
10. I shovel my horses' poop myself.
11. I clean my trainer's barn toilet! (and sink)
12. I clean my geldings' sheaths.
13. I sometimes "groom" for my trainer or her assistant.
14. I've done stalls for my trainer.
15. I've trailered her students to shows.
16. I recently showed up at a clinic dressed a bit like a bag lady 'cause it was cold and right after my lesson. And I was foolish enough to bring potato chips!
17. My horses go barefoot.
18. I clicker train.
19. I bring over my dog for groundhog hunting.
20. I don't wear nail polish.
21. Lately I'm wearing one half chap and a polo wrap on the other leg 'cause the fairies took the other half chap.
22. My horse in training is not clipped and doesn't wear a blanket.

Given more time, I'm sure I could think of more.

and finally,
23. I SWEAT. Yeah, me too.

Dorienna
Nov. 23, 2007, 09:10 PM
- i ride my horse everyday and haven't had a lesson i years
- i go to shows by myself, without the entourage. groom - what's a groom:confused:
- i am the best stall mucker around, and have been called Miss Broom for my aisle sweeping skills
- my one and only pair of boots had zippers, they busted, and are now held together with many strips of electrical tape. the huge holes in both ankles help to fill the said boots with shavings, arena dirt, snow, and other fun things
- my psg mare ground ties, trail rides, and loads by herself

my one confession : my browbands have *bling* (diamonds are really my girls' best friends)

fourhorses
Nov. 23, 2007, 09:18 PM
Not a DQ because:

While I love dressage and give all of my horses some form of dressage training it isn't the only discipline in the world.

I do my own work and am not resentful of doing it.

While I have a warmblood I'll be the first to say he isn't a uber fancy horse, just a fun pet, and I don't care if you don't have a warmblood nor think breed X can't be uber fancy or at least very charming in its own right -- in fact if you own and love a yak, that is your perogative and long as it's a nice, sweet yak, I'll probably like it too -- and give it some of my horse's cookies and peppermints if we meet up at a show/clinic.

While I like looking nice and having a lovely, matching, coordinated acoutrement for both horsey and I as well as the impeccably groomed look, some days it just ain't going to happen because I've got other, more pressing concerns like bills to pay, a job to go to, and kids to get home from school -- and I have used the kids' neon froggy saddle pad at lessons with two European BNT because that's the only clean pad I could get my hands on rushing out the door those two days (the only pad bytheby that actually can clash with white polos and black breeches/dark blue-grey shirt):eek:

atr
Nov. 23, 2007, 09:34 PM
I'm as blind as a bat after a range of about 15 feet without my glasses on, and I don't wear them around the barn as I'm really quite happy in my own myopic world. Folks soon learn to stay out of my way in the arena.

Last week, I was piddling around, grooming and tacking up, when I suddenly noticed a new lady I hadn't met before was down on the very far cross ties and had obviously been there for some time, so I went down and introduced myself and said hello and apologized for ignoring her, explaining the blindness situation and saying that I didn't want to come off as a DQ... She howled with laughter and said "not much chance of that riding a horse that looks like yours!"

Umm. OK.

GreekDressageQueen
Nov. 23, 2007, 09:45 PM
I ride my horse outside in the middle of huge, open fields with 4 big dogs running with me. I gallop (oh my!) and intentionally practice zig-zag half pass, shoulder-in, haunches-in, etc. down a country road.

Trixie's mom
Nov. 23, 2007, 10:05 PM
I'll annoy my high strung instructor by putting my western saddle and bridle on and playing Reining Queen on occasion...

I hand sew my purple sparkly tail bag for my ayrab's long ground dragging tail...

I sing outloud Banarama from my ipod while my aforementioned instructor is riding his uberfancy gp horses.

Carol O
Nov. 23, 2007, 10:10 PM
You are all DQs. Go back and read the other thread. Queens. You all are. Queens.

farmeress
Nov. 23, 2007, 10:37 PM
I AM NOT A DRESSAGE QUEEN..........................

I am a PRINCESS in training.....................:lol:

J-Lu
Nov. 24, 2007, 01:40 AM
Ultimately? My budget! :winkgrin:

Ambrey
Nov. 24, 2007, 01:44 AM
I ride a big gray draft x instead of a bay varmblood.

I have purple half chaps.

I wear a helmet.

I'm unskinny.

I take care of my own horse every day.

Dressage Art
Nov. 24, 2007, 03:50 AM
What makes me NOT a DQ:
I turn my dressage horse out in a large grassy all day turn out rain or shine and I'm not worried that her coat will bleach out b/c of the sun.
I trail ride my dressage horse on some quite steep hills several times per week
I only have cold water in the barn, no hot water
I use a Porto-potty in the barn
I don't use splint boots for regular schooling
My dressage horse is part TB
My saddle is only $1200.00 and my double bridle is only $120.00
I don't care if I win or get beaten in the dressage show. As long as I break 60% I'm happy.
I don't have a trainer who "tunes up" my horse before the show for me.
I don't have artificial nails or eyelashes.
I pull my trailer with an old Suburban.
My mare is barefoot behind.

Asmac
Nov. 24, 2007, 07:49 AM
I made my own dressage arena from cinder blocks and pvc pipes - Complete with orange traffic cone letters!

& oh yeah - all of the above!!!

audgesmom
Nov. 24, 2007, 08:18 AM
In my circle of friends, DQ is a tongue in cheek term of endearment!!!!

That said, I:

Ride a pony!

Do all my own work

Clean my pony's sheath AND THE SHEATHS OF OTHERS FOR NO PAYMENT!

Will teach this skill to others with sympathy and patience

Drive my own truck/trailer and can back it up to not only hook up but to park IN THE DARK OF NIGHT!

Feed my pony only hay and beet pulp

Keep him barefoot

Jump occasionally (on purpose)

Am kind and helpful to all riders I know regardless of their income level or dicipline

Will happily eat TOP RAMEN to afford necessary vet/suppliments

Consider myself successful in public if I make it out of the ring without peeing my pants....

I guess I am not really a DQ after all.....

Sakura
Nov. 24, 2007, 08:20 AM
I have Warmblood tastes on an Arabian budget ;)

exvet
Nov. 24, 2007, 09:10 AM
Well I have to admit that I'm a poor excuse for a wannabe but just don't make the grade:

1. I do have a warmblood but he's a retired 22 year old who was given to me last year for free because I had to put my (daughter's) horse down and we wanted her to have something she could at least hack around while we looked for a replacement and he needed a forever home that wouldn't try to make him relive the past for a few more ribbons. All the rest are Ayerabs (2) or ponies (5).

2. The majority of my critters are turned out 24/7 - oh and they go out in groups :eek:

3. I haul my own horses and own my own rig; but, it's a 12 year old F250 with 170,000 miles on it and a 4 horse trailer but it's a stock combo with no living quarters. As I drive up to the horse shows each year I see new trucks/trailers and I'm quite recognizable with my same ole, same ole.

4. As stated I do show but I ride my own horses and do all my own training including backing/starting; but, I DO have a riding instructor who often comes to coach and she does it with an accent - it's just Peurto Rican and not German, swedish or Dutch. I also have two grooms/slaves - but they're my children. Heck just the fact that I procreated, dare bring them along and allow them out in public ruins my chances.

5. I have an arena with lights and ride 4 horses (ponies & Arabs) 3-5 times a week depending on their age and stage of training; but, the arena isn't big enough to accomodate a full sized arena so I use the schooling shows to practice my 3rd and 4th level tests since I can't "do it" at home. What do I do instead? - conditioning training and tons of trail riding. Yes, my dressage horses [ponies & Arabs] are even expected to go camping, stand tied to the trailer for hours, and go to breed shows.

6. I too have never received a manicure, pedicure, massage, silicone, nip, tuck or liposuction though I do confess to some chemical treatment [camoflouge] of the hair ;) and why bother with the rest? I braid my own horses, clean sheaths oh and geld, stitch up, palpate, etc - I'm my own vet - never could figure out how to keep nails and jewelry and continue to put my hands where no DQ has dared ventured to go :winkgrin:

7. I work full-time and ride at night. I even work most Saturdays. I take extra shifts so I can afford the horse shows and hay.

8. As a bit of a joke, 'cause I have the audacity to continue to inflict myself on the real DQs, we (my instructor, a couple of her other students and I) came up with a logo and name - Eclectic Dressage. We have no "barn" or "stable" - It's just a hodge podge of wannabes who do the best we can with what we have and you know the real killer is that despite our pathetic attempts to "fit in" or assimilate ourselves......we still often WIN :eek: and when I go to pick up my ribbon I wave my "white trash" banner proudly :yes:

Bravestrom
Nov. 24, 2007, 09:54 AM
much to my coach's chigrin, I am not a full dressage queen - she calls me half.

That is because we event, jump and go on long family hacks and I don't have a top hat.

My horses are in a herd of 10 - no wraps on their legs, side clips on their shoes and in the summer they stay out 24/7.

Also - I let my horse roll in the arena after he rides - let him rub that sand right in - he loves it.

FancyFree
Nov. 24, 2007, 10:12 AM
On one trail ride, my horse and I, and my dog galloped after a coyote. We chased him all the way up the hill until he jumped off the trail and disappeared into the bushes. It was a blast. I retold the tale to one of the DQ's that I had done a few trail rides with. She later told me that her trainer would not let her go out on trail with me anymore. (I actually only walked when I was out with this timid woman.) According to him I am a "cowboy". Heeheehee.

carolprudm
Nov. 24, 2007, 10:50 AM
Sigh, the first time I cliniced with a "BNT"(well, I thought she was) I showed up wearing the specified non black breeches, but also a tee shirt.
Untucked
Given my shape, it's best hid.
And unpolished paddock boots, no half chaps.

Since I have my own farm I had not previously been exposed to the dressage culture.

I guess I'm a slow learner, I was later told that a vest was accepted attire.

A few more sessions and I was told NOT to return with my mare, who was utterly unwilling to buy into the whole idea.

DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho"
Nov. 24, 2007, 11:00 AM
I braid at rated shows while letting my horse graze.

I buy clearance breeches and etc for myself. No deerskin, rarely full seats. Paddock boots and half chaps, or muck boots.

I muck out my horse's stall.

I kiss my horse on his muzzle.

I pee in his stall, using teepee I have ripped off, I mean, mistakenly taken, from the bathroom down the hall at work.

I have hay all over my clothes, even after washing.

And the biggest:

I RIDE OUTSIDE. BY MYSELF. And SOMETIMES BAREBACK.

Vesper Sparrow
Nov. 24, 2007, 11:22 AM
I just don't have the personality for it. I do my best to look the part at shows, but otherwise I'm a slob. My hair is always wet from sweat after I ride. And my barn is mostly eventers, who keep me honest. Right now, I'm being teased for spending $200 on a pair of MDC stirrups because of a bum ankle.

HighFlyinBey++
Nov. 24, 2007, 01:43 PM
1) I ride a 15.1 Morab that I started & continue to train myself
2) Saddles cost $600 or less
3) Bridles cost $75 or less, down to the $15 one I've used for 8 years--including Class A breed shows
4) Beginners can and do ride my horse
5) Pasture board year-round, no need for shoes, only blanket in extreme cold/wet
6) I ride in jeans without half chaps & have been known to get on in *gasp* tennis shoes
7) I also ride bareback, western & attempted saddleseat on the same horse (he drew the line at driving--that's pony work)
8) We've trail ridden
9) What's a "trainer" and why should I pay someone to clean up my horse or clean up after him?
10) NOBODY hauls my horse but ME
11) I can hitch my trailer alone, catch my pastured horse, load him and be on my way in 15 minutes or less--all in the dark. I can also back it up straight in the dark alongside a fence or barn.
12) Drive a rusty, paid-in-full F150 with nearly 170K miles & tow a stock trailer I had custom made for $4200 (includes mats & tack room w/saddle racks)
13) My favorite barn colors are green and gold aka the same colors as the Green Bay Packers
14) I know more about the Packers than I do or will any BNT or rider
15) Will stare blankly at anyone who tries to drop the name of a BNT or rider
16) My bay horse also comes in shades of Virginia Red Clay Chestnut and happily puffs clouds of dust like Pigpen when we ride
17) I once left him untouched in an out-of-state pasture for an entire summer, hopped on bareback & got the same instant response to cues I previously got with steady riding. (True, his form was out-of-shape sad & I didn't push/want to hurt him, but he remembered what I asked.)
18) He also holds a national breed championship in Liberty & a walk-trot reserve championship with a 12 y/o rider
19) Have never ridden a test with him, mostly due to finances, but do hope to ride a couple next summer
20) Slobber makes a great accessory to any outfit, especially one worn to the office on Farrier Day :D

RodeoQueen
Nov. 24, 2007, 01:58 PM
My horses can walk back. From the time they are babies. HAHA!

Dressage Art
Nov. 24, 2007, 02:16 PM
On one trail ride, my horse and I, and my dog galloped after a coyote. We chased him all the way up the hill until he jumped off the trail and disappeared into the bushes. It was a blast. I retold the tale to one of the DQ's that I had done a few trail rides with. She later told me that her trainer would not let her go out on trail with me anymore. (I actually only walked when I was out with this timid woman.)
Cracked me up!
PS: adding to my list: I also can pee in the stall, but I'm embarrassed to admit that I am NOT a good rig driver and can not back it up with out bumping in to stuff. I very heavily rely on my hubby and friends for that. My horse and I love to ride outdoors and we gallop at the galloping track. My horse also can "walk back" and scores 7s for that move ;) (called a Rein Back)

CatOnLap
Nov. 24, 2007, 02:23 PM
I made my own dressage arena from cinder blocks and pvc pipes - Complete with orange traffic cone letters!

& oh yeah - all of the above!!!

SISTAH!

Oh yeah, and what clinches that I'm not a DQ besides that, the akubra hat with the eagle feather and the fringed chaps?

I ride appaloosas.

Sithly
Nov. 24, 2007, 02:48 PM
Hm, let's see. This could be a really long list.

1. I drink way more beer than wine.

2. I socialize with cowboys and rednecks.

3. 1) and 2) came about because I ride at a mixed barn (mostly western).

4. I gallop over hill and dale and expect my horse to take care of his own footing.

5. I don't own a trailer, so I sometimes hack to shows.

6. My trusty steed is an interesting mixture of Saddlebred, Morgan, and Arabian, with a generous sprinkling of TB from the Saddlebred side. I've had him since he was a yearling.

7. Despite 6), he is usually dead quiet (probably tired from all the galloping, haha).

8. No trainer has ever ridden my horse (I figure if he never finds out what good riding is like, he'll never know what he's missing :lol:).

-----
ETA: Just FYI, I am planning to be a proper queen when I get out of college. I can't wait to have money to spend on a nice trailer and custom tack.

petitefilly
Nov. 24, 2007, 03:33 PM
I ride a big gray draft x instead of a bay varmblood.

I have purple half chaps.

I wear a helmet.

I'm unskinny.

I take care of my own horse every day.

I can relate. Though I have to admit, having a warmblood PINTO gives automatic putdowns from any REAL DQ! He is tres jolie! I have purple pants, full seats, and wear an orange polar fleece to ride, now that has to have them running away, right? Purple cover for my helmet, in velvet, you would be surprised what great purple things are Ebay.

CatOnLap
Nov. 24, 2007, 04:10 PM
"purple pants, full seats, and wear an orange polar fleece to ride"

yikes.
I did that once, by accident. I had purple side panels on my black riding vest, black breeks...and had put on a pumpkin coloured cashmere sweater, under a neutral coloured jacket. I got warm and the jacket came off. The combination was a bit intense.

mbm
Nov. 24, 2007, 04:52 PM
i live at an eventing barn
i gallop my horse
i jump
my mare goes in shared t/o (without boots and etc)
we dont have a 200k dressage arena

Asmac
Nov. 24, 2007, 05:50 PM
"SISTAH!

Oh yeah, and what clinches that I'm not a DQ besides that, the akubra hat with the eagle feather and the fringed chaps?

I ride appaloosas."

Too funny b/c I crossed an appaloosa with a SWB and got a blanket! He is my next dressage star - I hope... [and I don't know how to quote lol]

Hazelnut
Nov. 24, 2007, 06:14 PM
The orange turtleneck, brown sweater, black vest, green buff with lizards on it...with black breeches, green and navy socks - (but they were covered by half chaps so do the socks count?)

Could have been blue breeches, I only have black or blue...

Or maybe I do too many barn chores...

I do like to look "put together", I'm just not that good at it.

And really, since my goal is to get along and help others out where I can...does that count? I think a good queen would do this. But I am no good at making proclamations.

I DO have a warmblood - and I LOVE him...unfortunately for me he dresses just like me....cause he, too wears whats on sale.

Oh! I have a sweatshirt that says Dressage Queens, Second Gathering, Las Vegas, 2007 -so! I must be a DQ after all! ;)

cuatx55
Nov. 24, 2007, 07:11 PM
I ride my ayrab in my wintec dressage (after selling my $3500 laser that didn't fit)...

BUT I have matching polos (sale $10) and pad (splurge at 60)! In three colors!

And I have a bling browband ($15.00)

I ride in $350.00 Eurostars and $250.00 Pikeurs (both given to me).

I have a trainer every other week and pretend I have money when I trailer to the 600/month barn for lessons. He also videotapes every lesson except if he is working OT.

She gets supplements-dewormer, Next level and BOSS since she's 15.

She doesn't need shoes but goes into a heated barn and arena at night.

And I have a handsome gorgeous groom who saddles/brushes the horse and holds her when I get on. (my wonderful boyfriend).

So maybe I'm a pesudo-DQ? I can act the part when needed....well, no I can't but I guess I look nice when I couldn't care less who bought what horse.

ThreeFigs
Nov. 24, 2007, 08:01 PM
I have an entry in the White Trash dressage book -- the one about the rusty airbrushed E-150 van and matching rusty Imperial trailer with the Arab gelding facing backwards.

My mare is a DQ, but I'm not.

She'd be a better dressage horse if I could find a good cattle gather to take her to. She needs some humblin'.

Lambie Boat
Nov. 24, 2007, 08:11 PM
I loved boarding in a DQ barn. I'd be the one following Bitsy around after her ride, when she'd throw away her brand new brush boots and saddle pads because they had dirt on them. I'd be the unthin one happily accepting Nadines large-ish fullseats after she'd lost all that weight on the latest fad diet and workout with her personal trainer. I'd buy their bit or bridle at 85% markdown because their trainer suggested tack changes. Thank you DQs! If not for you, I couldn't afford it. If not for me, you wouldn't feel so superior. See? works out great for everyone involved.

MEP
Nov. 24, 2007, 08:44 PM
DQ criteria I might meet:

1. I get manicures and pedicures
a) manicures because I got tired of seeing all the dirt under my fingernails from shoveling poo and cleaning buckets.
b) pedicures because of all the abuse to my feet, including several equine-related fractures, surgery, etc. OK. My horsies made me do it!
2. I've got an "imported" warmblood, er, actually he's a WB/TB cross, and I "imported" him from Spokane (heeheeheee, inspired by the comment in the other thread about the British lady who "imported" her horse from Oregon!)
3. I have deerskin breeches. However, I had to break down to invest in custom Equissentials cuz my butt's too big to fit in off-the-shelf breeches :o (that's an embarrassed red face).
4. I have a "tasteful" blingy browband (silver beads and natural stones) cuz I think my pony's cute face deserves to be shown-off, not because I think it reflects on my splendid riding!
5. I do have a nice truck and big honking WB size trailer, but my trailer is a Sooner, not the required DQ Sundowner!

What makes me a DP ("dressage Peon" not Princess!).

I. My horse's mane is not beautifully pulled, in fact sometimes he looks more like his neighbors who are roping and reining QHs than a mighty dressage star. Plus his bridle path sometimes looks more like a mohawk than a clipped area for the bridle.
2. I have more donkeys than dressage horses! (ratio: 4 to 1)

Lauren12
Nov. 24, 2007, 08:46 PM
Cutting and pasting from others' posts and adding my own nuances:

21. Lately I'm wearing one half chap and a polo wrap on the other leg 'cause the fairies took the other half chap.

Hey, which leg are you missing? I have a right leg half chap for donation because the other one blew out the back of a pickup truck!

Dressage Art
Nov. 24, 2007, 09:34 PM
Hey, which leg are you missing? I have a right leg half chap for donation because the other one blew out the back of a pickup truck!
:D :lol: :D :lol: I assume you are not a DQ

islandrider
Nov. 25, 2007, 12:15 PM
I don't show, ride my Arab gelding with a western 1-ear and a KK ultra, with romel reins and my Heather Moffet treeless, wear tie dye to my occasional lesson, get as much joy scratching my horse's itchy spots as I do riding, don't have a high-paying job, love keeping my horse on a cattle ranch, love it when my horse rolls and gets filthy, will do a run around barrels in my dressage saddle, ride same saddle in endurance stirrups, will pee in any stall or dark corner, and best of all, DONT REALLY KNOW ANY DQ'S!

tollertwins
Nov. 26, 2007, 07:00 AM
I ride a PONY!

My boots are z-coils - they look like combat boots.

I don't/WON"T own a pair of WHITE BREECHES!

Don't show - getting up early on the weekend after getting up early all week going to work just seems like MORE work!

cyndi
Nov. 26, 2007, 08:17 AM
I am not a DQ because:

1. I clean my own stalls.
2. Haul my own feed/hay/bedding.
3. Don't get my nails done.
4. Buy clothes at Wal-Mart.
5. Usually ride in cheap exercise tights from Wal-Mart rather than breeches.
6. Ride a (gasp!) PINTO!
7. Don't have my horse in full or partial training.
8. Don't blame my riding mistakes on my horse.
9. Would never pay to go to a spa for myself, but the horses get regular chiro work.
10. Am nice to everyone at horse shows, regardless of the brand on their horsie's butt or country of origin. :lol:
11. My horses are turned out 24/7 unless the weather is really bad. (OK< they do have more clothes than I do, but I say the being turned out 24/7 negates that.) ;)

Eventer13
Nov. 26, 2007, 08:27 AM
Don't know if you've seen this, but this ain't no DQ mount:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9wh3kyMKJU

SaddleFitterVA
Nov. 26, 2007, 09:46 AM
Lack of staff.

And a few other things that my almost a real DQ friend points out for me.

tincbaby21
Nov. 26, 2007, 09:57 AM
I am not a DQ because

1. I clean stalls one day a week for extra cash at my barn
2. I had a wintec synthetic OLD saddle for years I rode in
3. When I took my riding lessons 9 tim eout of 10 i was wearing breeches that didnt fit at all anywhere
4. i sweat
5. my horse usually looks cleaner then me and his mane and tail are better groomed
6. i never get my nails done or go to a spa
7. my barn attire makes me look like i climbed out of a dumpster shortly before arriving at the barn
8. i drive a used car that isnt a benz or mercedes
9. my horse and i like the trails

CDE Driver
Nov. 26, 2007, 11:26 AM
Well, mainly because I switched over to combined driving!

My fancy, schmancy, imported Hanoverian lives out 24/7. (dontcha know that was an insult to his sensibilities)

My SO throws his cowboy gear on aforementioned fancy, schmancy imported Hanoverian to gather cattle when they get out.

I get to wear shorts every day to the barn in the summer.

I do still school him under saddle for dressage from time to time, but am in no way, shape or form turned out "properly"!

CatOnLap
Nov. 26, 2007, 11:49 AM
Top Ten Reasons YOU are not a DQ:

10. You clean your own horse poop.
9. You shop at stores like Walmart and Target and actually wear what you buy to ride in.
8. You ride a TB/Paint/Appaloosa/Quarterhorse cross PONY
7. You drive an aged asian compact which doubles as your change room/tack box.
6. You think hay in your hair or clothes is a fashion statement.
5. You think "warmblood" is something that happens after riding in the freezing rain outside and you turn your car's heater on full blast on the drive home.
4. Your horse's manicure is better than yours.
3. You own western tack. And a hat...
2. Your friends whoop and holler when you've succesfully ridden a test and stayed on!

And the Number one Reason you know YOU are not a DQ:

1. You don't post on any board purporting to be the "ultimate" in dressage.

3rsatsmf
Nov. 26, 2007, 12:23 PM
Oh, did I forget to say "personally autographed"?

Wellspotted
Nov. 27, 2007, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by Reiter:

Showing up at fancy Dressage barn for lesson in my little Geo Metro with the squeeling fan belt and actually parking it right there with all the fancy Beemers, Mercedes', Lexus' etc

I didn't know DQs drove cars, let alone foreign cars! How do you hitch a three-horse gooseneck with living quarters to a car? I thought DQs all drove gas-powered dually quad cabs, or mammoth American SUVs (if they're the kind of DQ whose trainers trailer their horses for them).

I'm not a DQ because:
I don't always school in half-chaps.
I don't ride a warmblood who's two hands taller than I am.
I don't have a leather dressage saddle with flaps as long as my legs and a high cantle and thigh blocks to hold me in place.
I don't use a crank cavesson and don't always use a flash.
I don't own any white breeches.
I often ride in a western saddle ... in JEANS!
I don't drink bottled water, just tap water in a bottle.

heronponie
Nov. 27, 2007, 01:15 AM
Wellspotted- who needs a bottle? You've got hands, dontcha! :lol:

Welkin007
Nov. 27, 2007, 01:28 AM
1. I own an OTTB, but I think he's just as purdy as the schmancy WBs
2. I admit that my boy and I are not going to be going to the Olympics-ever
3. I clean stalls andfeed every Sunday to help pay off board
4. My saddle cost $600, but have to sell it, though I hope (pray) that I won't have to pay much more to replace it.
5. My horse is trained to roll before and after every ride, I walk him out to the arena and he will roll on the lead rope. I think its good for him!
6. I like to trail ride, my horse isn't a huge fan, but we do it anyway
7. He knows tricks, like how to bow, and I'm teaching him to "count"
8. I own the same pair of field boots (I don't have dress boots!) and 2 pairs of paddock boots from 6 years ago.
9. I own 3 pairs of breeches, and I need to lose weight to fit into 2 of them before spring!
10. I consider $4.00 too much to spend on a hair brush for my horse.
11. I made my own "smartpak" with $5 worth of small tupper wear containers and a container to put them in, and asked the guys to not throw them away so I can re-use them! My monthly supplment cost: $23
12. I drive a '99 Dodge Stratus!

What MAKES me a DQ-wannabe?
1. I WANT nice breeches, full seat to boot!
2. I have a little bling on my bridle
3. I like the look of a white pad and white polos (but I ride in blue WoofWear boots)
4. I DO keep my horse at a heated barn with a heated indoor, and pay an extra $25 to have the guyd blanket my horse when he gets turned out.
5. He gets turned out alone, mostly because he's a retard and a hard player, and the turnouts are too small for his idiot-ness

ottb dressage
Nov. 27, 2007, 02:52 PM
my horse is an ottb rescued from new holland auction and i keep him at home in my backyard farm. my other horse is a 15.2 hand quarter horse that belongs to my friend and instructor. her barn is mostly western riders and there are no warmbloods, just apps, qhs and tbs, but she is thinking of getting a warmblood.......my horse's barnmate is an old retired egyptian arabian. oh, and i only have barn help if i can find someond to do the work for me which doesn't happen very often.........

InsideLeg2OutsideRein
Nov. 27, 2007, 03:11 PM
What makes me not a DQ

1) I don't have the $$$$ it takes to be one.
2) I once went into Neiman Marcus (out of curiosity) and NONE of the staff asked me if I they could help me (where as everyone else was being drowned with attention).
3) I have an OTTB who has so many issues I win the "most patient boarder" award every year at my barn.

What makes me a DQ (Wannabe)

1) I do enjoy manicures/pedicures every so often
2) I try to camuflage my starting-to-gray-hair as good as I can
3) I lease an FEI schoolmaster and take lessons with a German clinician with him
4) I would not mind at all having a fancy imported warmblood and being able to go 'round and clinic with some BNTs

mp
Nov. 27, 2007, 03:33 PM
3. You own western tack. And a hat...

... and have shown in WP and have the mucho blingo tack to prove it. :yes:

2. Your friends whoop and holler when you've succesfully ridden a test and stayed on!

Said friends also whoop and holler when you run barrels and poles in dressage saddle and tall boots, as you yell "YeeeeeeeHAWWWWWW!!"

And the Number one Reason you know YOU are not a DQ:

1. You don't post on any board purporting to be the "ultimate" in dressage.

Bad girl, COL :lol:

TBrescue
Nov. 27, 2007, 03:47 PM
I have a 16 yr old rescued (2nd Level) OTTB, clean my own horse and tack and stall, don't have manicured nails, drive a 98 VW and help with barn chores to reduce my board expenses.

I DO however have a KK ultra agurian loose ring french link AND my poor rescued TB has a complete wardrobe of blankets (2 of each:eek:) because he needs to stay WARM while he gains weight. I have alos been known to have a pedicure from time to time....

Wellspotted
Nov. 27, 2007, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by heronponie--

Wellspotted- who needs a bottle? You've got hands, dontcha! :lol:

Well, I've certainly got a tongue ... :lol: :p :lol:

(You've given me away now, heronponie--I'm a dressage wannabe because I always ride in GLOVES!) :eek: :cool: ;)

marta
Nov. 27, 2007, 04:02 PM
She howled with laughter and said "not much chance of that riding a horse that looks like yours!"

Umm. OK.

holy cow!!!! wtf?! what a beast :no:

atr
Nov. 27, 2007, 07:43 PM
Oh, it's all right, Marta :) I was a little taken aback, but I think she was trying to be funny... Have you seen my profile pic? He's not exactly the quintessential DQ horse.

However, he may be a little unconventional, but I love him, he's a fabulous mover, safe, and he does win quite often when I get the heck out of his way :)