PDA

View Full Version : What sport would you do if not eventing?

TB or not TB?
Nov. 21, 2007, 09:33 PM
I love eventing. XC is like Christmas for me. But I'm scared because of the accidents and because of the technical cross country, and I'm starting to question whether or not it's "ok" to do this to our horses. This is not a mentality I ever expected to have. :(

But I don't know what else I would even think of doing. What sport would you choose, if not eventing?

sirena_chaucer
Nov. 21, 2007, 09:44 PM
Reined cow events.

I'm done with eventing for a while. :no: My heart can't take it any more, after so many accidents (my own, my horses, friends', this year in general) I'm not willing to start from scratch and work my way back up to prelim-no heart for it any more.

So, I'm trading in my breeches for jeans for a while, and we'll see how it goes.

Plus, had I been given a choice when I was really little (when I was started in riding lessons) I would have gone western anyway. I loff the performance western sports-very exciting, challenging, exhilarating and the partnership between work horse and rider.

I could never do straight dressage- I hated, dreaded, dragged my feet for every day of flatwork and lived for my gallop sets, grid work, cross country schools. Same for hunters-my spirit would die real quick in that world. I was always the odd eventer though with the bareback, hackamore, western saddle hacking thoroughbreds. lol

Of course, after my last bad fall, every jump school leaves me crippled for two days (literally I can't walk, my back spasms so badly) so its not so much fun any more either. I think I've been ground into too many ditch and walls to really have that 'give me more!' attitude these days. lol

WindWillowStable
Nov. 21, 2007, 09:50 PM
I left eventing for show jumping 7 years ago because I felt it would be easier to compete in jumper events while in college. I decided this year that I wanted to get back into eventing but after hearing about this recent accident, I have decided that show jumping is where I will stay...with that being said, I will continue to support eventing and volunteer...I would much rather be out watching a day of cross country than to be watching the same jumper course over and over again...lol

KBG Eventer
Nov. 21, 2007, 09:51 PM
Dressage. Sometimes I don't feel like a "real" eventer because generally I kind of enjoy dressage. But the challenge of having to be perfect in all three phases, and the partnership you get by going cross country with your horse, and all the many wonderful people in eventing is what I love! My best friends are my horse trial friends...their all more mature, loyal, and there for me than any of the kids at school.

All these awful things happening makes me sad, but my heart is definitely in eventing...even if it is just at the Novice level. :)

Eventrgrl
Nov. 21, 2007, 09:56 PM
dressage. and maybe...:eek: eq.
i use to hate dressage when i was younger... you know what they say "you hate what you're bad at." but nowadays i really enjoy dressage and now that ive gotten better and understand it, i could imagine doing straight dressage.
and i have always wanted to do eq. classes. call me crazy and a traitor but i just think it would be a great challenge for me compared to how i ride now... having to get prefect striding and pace, jumping clean 24/7.
to me, riding is all about challenging yourself and making progress. if i cant do "the ultimate equestrian challenge," then dressage and eq classes would be the best subsitute.

and i love having good turnout and i'd like having to make my horse look good to be subjectively judged more than just for one phase. :lol:

but honestly, the people in eventing are just hands down better sportsman than the ones i have encountered in the dressage and the hunter/jumper world. i wouldnt want to leave eventing's welcoming atmosphere for the more cut-throught atmosphere ive experienced in other disciplines.

WindWillowStable
Nov. 21, 2007, 10:06 PM
but honestly, the people in eventing are just hands down better sportsman than the ones i have encountered in the dressage and the hunter/jumper world. i wouldnt want to leave eventing's welcoming atmosphere for the more cut-throught atmosphere ive experienced in other disciplines.[/QUOTE]

I completely agree! Eventing people are awesome and very supportive of each other and eventers could care less what kind of saddle/horse/breeches/helmet/etc. someone is riding in...well at least most!

crosscreeksh
Nov. 21, 2007, 10:19 PM
I left eventing due to the time constraints - 12 or 13 hours to do 3 "classes" at Novice. Now they spread it over 3 days around here! I went to the jumpers for years...more time riding less time waiting. Now we're in "nowwhere Oklahoma" the shows are too far away to be convenient, so I foxhunt - one big CC lasting hours and I also help with assorted cattle drives!!

purplnurpl
Nov. 21, 2007, 10:26 PM
combined driving!!

well, I'll admit. I'm kind of a closet DQ. : )

eventer_mi
Nov. 21, 2007, 10:30 PM
Probably hunters or jumpers, because dressage test after dressage test just ain't my thing ;^). Seriously, probably low level jumpers as I can't afford the competitive hunter, and I'm too chicken for the really big stuff.

If someone took my English saddle away, or I ended up living somewhere like Fort Bliss, TX, where English riding is a rarity, I'd probably take up reining - high-speed dressage. Now that looks like fun!

La Gringa
Nov. 21, 2007, 10:34 PM
What about doing combined training events of Dressage and Showjumping but not the XC? That might be an option. Aren't there horse trials with just the two events?

IQ3day14
Nov. 21, 2007, 10:39 PM
Dressage! I have to admit, it doesnt make me nervous to gallop around a ** track, but to jump anything in the show jumping over 4 foot makes me wanna poop my pants....

tx3dayeventer
Nov. 21, 2007, 10:51 PM
Because my *** mare is out I have taken up Reining, Cutting, and Working Cow Horse. My boyfriend competes in these sports and also does the Ranch Horse Versitility with the AQHA. I am having an absolute blast!!!!!! Reining is really cool! I ride a version of an Advanced packer of the reining/cutting world (his name is TC). Here is a pic of me and Cadillac and me and TC. TC is mine and Cadillac was a borrowed mount of a NCHA champion.

Here is Cadillac:
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c163/tx3dayeventer/cadillac.jpg

TC:
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c163/tx3dayeventer/TC.jpg
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c163/tx3dayeventer/tc2.jpg

RAyers
Nov. 21, 2007, 11:01 PM
If I couldn't ride at all it would be martial arts. I love the internal forms and while I hav enot yet competed, I have done displays and played in both hand and weapons.

If I could have horses, I would go back to the jumpers, then dressage and then combined driving.

Reed

Outfox
Nov. 21, 2007, 11:02 PM
Foxhunting!!!

Oh, we already do this. It's the perfect compliment for training to go across the country with a horse. I think of Foxhunting as "Practical Eventing." We cross real rivers and river banks.

Dreamboat Annie
Nov. 21, 2007, 11:06 PM
Well I used to show hunter/jumper, and got into low level eventing, but have not done much in years, but my choice would be Combined driving, I did groom for a season at a CDE stable, and got the driving bug....that and competitive driving would be my next endevor that and showing pleasure driving with my new mini....(after I get him broke to drive) :)

EventingRed
Nov. 21, 2007, 11:18 PM
I would be a hunter. I know, that's quite the leap, but I reall like the look of the sport (well, 'cept for the politics aspect). I would kill to be able to put in a winning hutner round, that just looks too cool.

Either that or the big jumpers, that just looks like plain fun :)

Spark
Nov. 21, 2007, 11:31 PM
I don't think I could deal with hunters. Am I still allowed to train with my eventing trianer if I do jumpers? :lol: I like my deep seat. If I had to ride with a more huntery position I think I would do dressage...

PiaffePlease
Nov. 21, 2007, 11:43 PM
I used to event and when I became horseless and then went to college, I had the choice of the hunt seat team or the dressage tram. I ended up doing dressage and loved it. I HATED it in eventing, but I was taught by an instructor who also hated it, so she was a terrible teacher.

I was able to take lessons from a great instructor and I learned that dressage wasnt miserable and it wasnt just "riding flatwork in a pattern". Now, dressage is what I live for!

Lauren!
Nov. 22, 2007, 12:07 AM
Foxhunting. I want to do that anyway, just have not been able to get my act together. Hunter paces and stuff, but I do those already.
Maybe Competitive Trail Riding too... it sounds like fun.

My competitive aspirations end at Novice (although it's been suggested by others that once I'm doing solid Novice I'll want to try Training... I'm not so sure. I've always been happy with my 3' even when I was doing H/J). I don't find the lower levels to be unsafe. I can't pass judgement on the upper levels, as I haven't been involved in them enough to say and HUGE XC leaves brown marks in my pants... but my gut instinct is that if the rider feels comfortable and that it's a good idea then so be it. People go bungee jumping too, I think their nuts, but it's none of my business :lol:

Jazzy Lady
Nov. 22, 2007, 12:10 AM
Eq. I'm a perfectionist ;)

Blugal
Nov. 22, 2007, 01:47 AM
Team chasing... the Horse & Hound makes it seem SO fun! I'd have to start at a weeny level though :)

Also, hunting, trail riding, cutting (seems more fun than reining), combined driving.

Polo too.

Kementari
Nov. 22, 2007, 03:29 AM
Jumpers - though I think maybe it's cheating to choose one of the phases! :winkgrin:

In which case...gymkhana (I like to go fast ;)) or one or another of the cow horse events (I've never tried them, but they LOOK like a blast!).

throwurheart
Nov. 22, 2007, 08:01 AM
Combined driving, dressage, foxhunting.

snoopy
Nov. 22, 2007, 08:10 AM
Well as I posted earlier...I have now taken up residence in the "rectangle box"...I just do not have the time to event anymore. After 27 years competing, it was easier than I thought to hang up my stop watch. I will always support the sport in any way I can, but not through entry fees. I have always been a DQ at heart so the transition should not be to hard. Maybe some combined tests with the now ex-event horse. But then again, it was always the plan to make this move when my horses and body told me it was time to "change focus".

Suziesidesaddle
Nov. 22, 2007, 08:45 AM
Base Jumping - No Parachute :eek: - Its the only thing that could possibly replace the thrill of X-country. Sorry girls, I couldn't give this up for anything!

Larbear
Nov. 22, 2007, 09:22 AM
Jumpers I think...I don't particularly enjoy being in the dressage ring. I do a lot of flat work at home etc so it's not like I just jump everyday or anything like that but I think I'm also a bit put off of what I see in the dressage rings these days and a bit soured I guess. Can be very subjective and well with jumpers, either you get over it or you don't.

pinkngreen
Nov. 22, 2007, 09:46 AM
If I couldn't event I probably wouldn't ride any more and I take up serious running again. The one time I was with out horses for a few years I took up running and loved it. I was just as obsessive about it. When I got horses again the running had to go to the wayside because there just wasn't enough time in the day for both and a full time job.

My list of favorites would go like this:
1) eventing
2) running
3) dressage

Long Shadow Farm
Nov. 22, 2007, 09:49 AM
combined driving!!

well, I'll admit. I'm kind of a closet DQ. : )

Kristen,

You are a DQ.. forget the closet.

If I cannot event, I would/will probably go back to showing in the Breed shows and doing the all-around. I loff the sparkle and bling of the western show clothes and I think a good All-around horse is alot like an eventer. They have to be a Jack of all Trades to do good in both English and Western. Plus the patterns in the Trail classes today call for such control and talent, it would be addicting.

Bobbi

piccolittle
Nov. 22, 2007, 09:55 AM
I think I'd want to try the hunters, cos that seems to be my horse's jumping style. The politics of it all might really make me mad though. I don't know how I could live without eventing! ;)

But if it weren't riding, I'd probably take up soccer again.

Whisper
Nov. 22, 2007, 11:07 AM
I was kind of surprised by this thread, since a lot of eventers also show in other disciplines (mostly Dressage and H/J) and RugBug, Greystone, and several other people have dabbled in eventing even though their main interest is in another area. While I love XC, I think the best thing about Eventing is the cross-training aspect.

Right now, I'm competing in Vaulting - just moved up to doing some Canter classes last month, but still doing some Trot classes as well. :) Statistically speaking, it's one of the safest disciplines, but people can get hurt doing any kind of riding, or even ground work, with horses. I try to be as careful as possible, and pretty much figure I'm in more danger driving my car than riding.

The horse I was leasing hurt himself, so I don't have any firm competition plans in eventing or other related disciplines. I'm taking eventing-oriented lessons 1-2/week, and riding my friend's horses on the weekends. She's willing to let me show if the logistics work out, but we probably wouldn't do any jumping over 2', since I can't take lessons regularly on her horses, and it wouldn't be fair to them.

TheOtherHorse
Nov. 22, 2007, 11:07 AM
Probably just trail riding, and a bit of jumpers.

My favorite thing ever is a good fast-paced trail ride through the woods/hills over XC jumps. So I'm trying my first fox hunt this weekend, so we'll see if that is my thing. :)

Full Stride
Nov. 22, 2007, 11:24 AM
I realized last year that I'd lost my nerves of steel, so I'm doing my first love: racehorses. But I'm breeding. I don't know if you'll see me doing any galloping anytime soon. Although I'm considering it..

west5
Nov. 22, 2007, 11:40 AM
I like to fox hunt although my knees complain.

I love being on a horse in "nature". I have a feeling that I'd like endurance but my body might not tolerate it. I've done some cattle drives, working with cows on horseback so I'd like that too.

I would LOVE to gallop racehorses but only if there were "packer" versions available. I so enjoy the speed when pointing a horse at the end of a huge field and saying ok go as fast as you can go!

I currently compete in the jumpers too but I don't love it. Don't love the horse show venues, don't love the whole pressure cooker, memorize your course, ride as fast as you can aspect of it.

I like dressage work but specifically when teaching babies.

c_expresso
Nov. 22, 2007, 11:47 AM
I also do jumpers on top of eventing. I love eventing and XC... but my heart will always be in show jumping. However it is so so so expensive, clique-ish... it is very taxing to even go to jumper shows. But there is nothing to me like a jump off :D However eventers hands down are the best crowd to hang around!

BarbB
Nov. 22, 2007, 11:56 AM
I am currently horseless, but I am leaning toward finding something that will be fun in jumpers. If it is any good in xc fine, if not, there are always hunter paces for a fun ride.

Mukluk
Nov. 22, 2007, 12:36 PM
Because my *** mare is out I have taken up Reining, Cutting, and Working Cow Horse. My boyfriend competes in these sports and also does the Ranch Horse Versitility with the AQHA. I am having an absolute blast!!!!!! Reining is really cool! I ride a version of an Advanced packer of the reining/cutting world (his name is TC). Here is a pic of me and Cadillac and me and TC. TC is mine and Cadillac was a borrowed mount of a NCHA champion.

Here is Cadillac:
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c163/tx3dayeventer/cadillac.jpg

TC:
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c163/tx3dayeventer/TC.jpg
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c163/tx3dayeventer/tc2.jpg

What is the tassel hanging from the cinch in TC's picture for? Just curious, I've never seen that before!

JER
Nov. 22, 2007, 12:55 PM
I love foxhunting. I've also done some endurance, which was a lot of fun.

But then I also just like to wander around bareback on my horse. If that was all I could do, it would be enough for me.

ss3777
Nov. 22, 2007, 01:10 PM
Well, foxhunting is near and dear to my heart. For show fun I would do jumpers if eventing was not around.

ss3777
Nov. 22, 2007, 02:32 PM
Get yourself to a packer and go have some fun hunting. You live in a super area for hunting, try it out. Lots of hunts have hirelings. Just check out the MFHA website for links to local hunts or just ask around at the local tack shop :) Watch out, it is addicting with the right horse!

Mudroom
Nov. 22, 2007, 03:22 PM
foxhunting here too
It's already my winter sport.

olympicdreams04
Nov. 22, 2007, 04:31 PM
Suziesidesaddle, I'm right there with you. A few years ago I sold my UL horse and had only one green OTTB to ride at the time, who wasn't even up to competing at Novice yet. Being a sensible girl, I thought I should take up riding racehorses. Since then I have ridden thousands of racehorses, litterally. Some have been great, some couldn't even win for 4. Some have flipped over on me, smashed my face into the gate, broken legs beneath me, clipped heels, broken more bones than I want to count, but still not more than eventing, and I jump out of bed in the morning (though not too exuberantly due to body constraints) to do it again. My new years resolution: become a jockey. So, all in all, if I couldn't event and I couldn't gallop...kill me now. Base jumping, no paracute, it is.

flyingchange
Nov. 22, 2007, 04:53 PM
I would perhaps take up motorcycles and go to track days with DH. Would probably plan some kind of adventure in South America involving motorcycles.

bornfreenowexpensive
Nov. 22, 2007, 05:00 PM
If I could afford it...polo...played some as a kid and it was a rush.

Combined driving is interesting...but boy that is a lot of tack to clean!

And I love the working cow stuff but I'm not really living in a very good area for it.

I would probably end up doing a little of everything.

Ibex
Nov. 22, 2007, 05:06 PM
Dressage.

I never thought this would be the case until a) I started riding a purpose bred, schoolmaster mare, and b) my knees started hurting over fences.

There is, despite what anyone says, a certain rush coming down the centreline...

4cornersfarm
Nov. 22, 2007, 06:22 PM
Modern Pentathlon! :D My kids do Tetrathlon, and my son is doing fencing as well. Pentathlon would be a blast. Except for the running part. Otherwise, I'm all for it!

tx3dayeventer
Nov. 22, 2007, 06:33 PM
What is the tassel hanging from the cinch in TC's picture for? Just curious, I've never seen that before!

Its called a shoo-fly. It supposedly keeps flys off their legs when they are working in a feedlot or around cows. I dont know if it really works but I think it looks kinda cool.

Kcisawesome
Nov. 22, 2007, 08:50 PM
Steeplechasing :winkgrin:

Okay, maybe not. But lets just say that I think I will stick with eventing.

cheval80
Nov. 22, 2007, 08:54 PM
I would do jumpers, dressage, and then probably reining in that order. I haven't ridden much western, but I think reining would be fun to try.

Bensmom
Nov. 23, 2007, 10:23 AM
Endurance, which I'm already doing. It is especially fun on an event horse, as I am usually the only one to find the downed trees and jump the "xc" obstacles out on the trail! :D

I used to look at it and think "wow, I would never want to do that" but made some friends that were into it, gave it a try and now am having a blast with it.

Except for the part that my fit horse is standing in the barn with a torn suspensory and I'm having to get another one fit to go now. <sigh>

Oh, well, that is why I have all these horses, right? :lol:

event_to_the_max
Nov. 23, 2007, 11:12 AM
basket weaving? lmao

i relaly don't think i could do anything other than eventing, but if i was forced to choose, it would be dressage, my next fav. phase to XC i suppose.

AllyCat
Nov. 23, 2007, 01:36 PM
If I was still riding, jumpers. I would love to learn how to drive though. Combined driving looks very challenging.

If not horses (I can't imagine, but let me try...), probably whitewater kayaking. I like touring kayaking, but I always get a rush when I'm in rough water. I'd like to try it sometime.

WindyIsles
Nov. 23, 2007, 01:44 PM
Combined Driving looks like a blast!

hunter-eventer-hunter
Nov. 23, 2007, 02:24 PM
I grew up in H/J land, evented here and in the UK, and I am now back mostly in the hunters (but I don't show too much b/c of the drama.)

I still train my H/J's like eventers. Lots of dressage (not just H/J flat work) have two sets of tack, do gallop sets, and all the stuff. It is good for their minds to not always be doing rail, diagonal, rail, etc.

But I was one of the chickens, after a bad year of injuries from rotational falls (mine, friends, horses, etc.) and one very scarry trip around Burley (schooling) I was done with the eventers.

I knew when it was over when I cleared a huge fence that had scarred the crap out me, and after I landed 100% fine and dandy, I was still scarred to look at that fence. I had never really been scarred of a fence before that. I still go XC schooling over lower level stuff but only on my tried and true mare.

I still train with an event trainer but she came from H/J land when I trained with her before she evented. So it works. I did have to trade in my deep seat for a close contact, but I got used to it.

Best people in horse sport are eventers. Hand down...maybe we all need to cross polinate the other disiplines with our nicness.

pegasusmom
Nov. 23, 2007, 03:38 PM
Well, it's the sport we already participate in. . . POLOCROSSE!!!

Much cheaper than eventing, has the adrenaline rush factor, team sport - one of the only true team sports in horses, requires a very good knowledge of dressage in order to be effective, it's a blast to play, great people, a top polocrosse horse is under $10K, average fee for a tournament is in the 60-75 dollar range and usually includes a dinner, initial investment in the sport is relatively low (polo wraps, bell boots, racquet and ball), did I mention it's a blast to play?, lots of guys in the sport, attire is white jeans and a team shirt (big plus to the men who don't want to be caught dead in spandex riding breeches).

tincbaby21
Nov. 23, 2007, 03:47 PM
I will always love eventing and now that I am starting from scratch with my new guy after i was at training level with my other who passed 2 years ago - i will go for a while at the lower levels see how it goes and if i feel that he is going to possibly get hurt or hurt me we will go to just show jumping - at least those rails fall

Dressage Art
Nov. 25, 2007, 09:59 PM
I tell you what I did: dressage and trail riding.

texang73
Nov. 26, 2007, 09:51 AM
JumpCross or Team Chasing ( http://www.teamchasing.co.uk/ ) if they had it here in the US

Or trailriding... :D

purplnurpl
Nov. 26, 2007, 09:53 AM
Kristen,

You are a DQ.. forget the closet.

Bobbi

Bobbi, dang it. SHHHHHHH!
Your going to get me beat up on the playground after school today.
Don't spread such rumors.

Plus I hate fullseats, therefore I cannot be a DQ. Not really.

giggle.

Long Shadow Farm
Nov. 26, 2007, 09:57 AM
LOL...Kristen

I know that when I need dressage help, I go to you or Danielle. I don't know why you two DQs let me even hang out with you. I guess it cause Spanky is the Cross Country machine. We all know that I might suck in dressage but I can blaze the path on Cross country.

Bobbi

Catalina
Nov. 26, 2007, 11:08 AM
I did the jumpers for years and years before coming over to eventing, mainly because my jumper's replacement turned out to be completely uninterested in being a jumper. In the two seasons that I have been doing this, I have yet to have a really fun trip around XC, mainly because my horse decided that he didn't like XC either :rolleyes:.

I really miss the jumpers and the thrill of a well executed jump off. I don't miss the expense or the time constraints and not knowing when you were going to ride (I remember going into my first class at 10:00 at night :eek:).

Anyway, I would probably do jumpers, then dressage, then trail riding.

LookinSouth
Nov. 26, 2007, 11:11 AM
Dressage with foxhunting in the fall and winters for some added excitement!!!
I love the perfectionism that goes along with Dressage. It is my favorite phase to school and I always get tons out of my lessons that carry over to everything else I do with my horse.

Poombadesign2
Nov. 26, 2007, 12:37 PM
When I stopped riding a few years ago due to school, I started running and biking and now compete in triathlons. It's fun to tell my old horsey friends that I still event, just without the horse :)

I miss the ponies though...maybe someday I'll get my nerve back.

AmericaRunsOnDunkin
Nov. 26, 2007, 05:30 PM
I would do dressage, but might also throw in some jumper shows :) I might also have to do some gymkana - what a kick in the pants that looks like. Heck, I might just have to try it even though I do eventing ;)

PoetryInMotion
Nov. 27, 2007, 12:12 AM
LOL...Kristen

I know that when I need dressage help, I go to you or Danielle. I don't know why you two DQs let me even hang out with you. I guess it cause Spanky is the Cross Country machine. We all know that I might suck in dressage but I can blaze the path on Cross country.

Bobbi
Yeah the fact that he'll take you over a maxed out Training table at a trot without any guidance on your part other than "point and shoot" is a testament to that fact. If only we could all be so lucky, lol.

Surprisingly, I'm warming up to Dressage, but I'd probably go back to San Diego and breed QHs with my friend Dana. I could get into barrel racing like she does. Or I could play Polo again. It was expensive and it was a rush, but I saw a few too many extremely nasty injuries due to mallets making contact with horses than I'd like to comment on.

Amanda

Long Shadow Farm
Nov. 27, 2007, 09:46 AM
[QUOTE=PoetryInMotion;2829293]Yeah the fact that he'll take you over a maxed out Training table at a trot without any guidance on your part other than "point and shoot" is a testament to that fact. If only we could all be so lucky, lol.

And I have the video to prove it!!

If I can figure out how to get it off that VHS tape on onto my computer I would post it here for everyone to laugh at. Boy..... was I sick that day though. I will never never never show that sick again. I learned my lesson this time.

Bobbi

Eventer55
Nov. 27, 2007, 03:50 PM
Endurance or competetive trail riding. I have done eventing and CTR and a little endurance and thats all I do.

subk
Nov. 27, 2007, 08:48 PM
Cowboy Action Shooting!

Seriously this looks like major fun. I'm actually considering doing along with eventing--I'm looking for a cold blood X for my daughter and as a anybody can ride horse who might work for that too. Do you think Jimmy Wofford would consider it cross-training?

Kcisawesome
Nov. 27, 2007, 09:11 PM
^Definatly!

My 4-H group often volenteers to reset balloons for the local cowboy mounted shooting group. I have become thoroughly impressed. You HAVE to be able to ride and your horse HAS to be correctly trained to do it right.

Thumbs up!

Rainier
Nov. 27, 2007, 09:46 PM
Well, jumpers and some dressage probably?

My "other life" includes sports that are no less dangerous than eventing (mtn bike racing, backcountry skiing, kayaking), so I'm doomed no matter how you look at it :(

Lose That
Nov. 27, 2007, 10:55 PM
I would definately be a DQ! Freakish, I know, for an eventer to like dressage that much, but I really would.

Course I'd have to jump for fun sometimes, too.

blackwly
Nov. 28, 2007, 03:52 PM
my "other" sports:

rock climbing
backcountry skiing
rafting/white water kayak

And I would reeeaaalllyy like to get into ski diving. I know, am I screwed up or what?

flypony74
Nov. 28, 2007, 05:23 PM
If I wasn't able to event, I would likely get into combined driving, foxhunting, and or reining. I'll do an occasional jumper class and could see doing more of that, and I'd also love to try polo or polocrosse one of these days. I also love to travel and trail ride, which I plan to do more of this year anyway.

brindille
Nov. 28, 2007, 08:05 PM
http://www.jumpcross.com

i sooo wish we had jump cross here! the thrill of running and jumping in nature without my (ever-growing) fear of solid obstacles! i really don't understand why it hasn't taken off more (no pun intended):yes:

pony grandma
Nov. 28, 2007, 11:32 PM
Downhill skiing -- the same look in my eye, the same heartbeat, as a good run and a fly over a Xcountry fence!