PDA

View Full Version : Another 'DQ' question, need your help!

sunnycher
Nov. 19, 2007, 10:07 AM
O.K. - my friend and I have volunteered to run a schooling Dressage show next spring - we are eventer - and I thought it would be fun to get some "unique" prizes for 1st place.

In talking with my 'dressage' friends, (some semi dq's), we have gotten a mixed bag response. Now, the funny thing is that the "oh no, don't do it, they'll kill you" comes from the semi-dq.

Here's the thought. The winner of each class would get a blue sash (the kind the queens wear over the shoulder) and it would say "official DQ" and a mini rhinestone crown!

Why can't people take a joke? Somehow I think that is the point, oh well, I guess we will save it for another day.

What do you think?

TripleC
Nov. 19, 2007, 10:10 AM
I am an official DQ and I think your sash idea is a great one. Schooling shows are completely different than the recognized shows, they are meant to be fun and educational and open to everyone. So go with your idea. I am also an Eventer and you should be able to get some event riders to enter and they will be pleasantly surprised that a dressage show can be fun. Good luck.

coloredhorse
Nov. 19, 2007, 12:04 PM
Oh, I think it's a GREAT idea! :cool: I would love to win a "DQ" sash ... and a tiara?! Who wouldn't want a tiara? The best thing would be that my horse-loving, glamour-girl niece could then wear said sash and tiara when she came out to ride "her" horse.

I think it's very clever. Obviously it's tongue-in-cheek. Who are the silly people who pooh-poohed? Bad, bad pooh-poohers! Dressage is friggin' hard; might as well get in a giggle where you can! :lol:

EdwynEdwyn
Nov. 19, 2007, 01:02 PM
Will you have any male competitors?

Zevida
Nov. 19, 2007, 01:33 PM
I think it is a fun idea, but honestly as a competitor, if you are going to spend the money for a prize, I'd rather it be something useful rather than what is essentially a prank gift. Maybe do something useful plus a printed "DQ" certificate?

Dressage Art
Nov. 19, 2007, 03:08 PM
Here's the thought. The winner of each class would get a blue sash (the kind the queens wear over the shoulder) and it would say "official DQ" and a mini rhinestone crown!

Why can't people take a joke? Somehow I think that is the point, oh well, I guess we will save it for another day.

What do you think?

Might as well put "Paris Hilton wannabe" on the stash. DQ for most people is not a complimentary term. Most DQ are still stuck at the High School Prom Era and use the same methods to go around their life. Just imagine that you will give a stash to somebody with a hint of saying "stuffed up bitch" and can you really hope that they will take it as a joke?

There are just way too many negative traits that come with a name "DQ": when somebody is rudely inconsiderable and selfish plus have no clue that they are acting this way - this might be DQ. Running you out of arena, taking all the space in the aisle, feed room, tack room, wash rack, pointing out that your horse, saddle, bridle, boots, jacket is worse than hers, expecting everybody to drop everything immediately and pay attention only to her, assuming that other people are blessed if she will lower herself to talk with you or say "hi" to you, theatrically turning her back, rolling her eyes and whispering gossip as soon as yet another "peasant red neck" walks in to her barn. DQ thinks that most things in life can be bought and will get the same credit as working hard to get them.

DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho"
Nov. 19, 2007, 03:18 PM
I think it's a riot!

sunnycher
Nov. 19, 2007, 05:04 PM
EdwynEdwyn, do you mean you wouldn't be excited with a sash and a tiara? Well, maybe we could think of something suitable for the male winners? Any ideas?

Actually, I don't think there are many - if any at all, maybe too scared of the DQ's??

TripleC
Nov. 19, 2007, 11:02 PM
OK, so I see some have said the sash is "not practical" - but then are ribbons ? I have received too many "useful" things as prizes that are really not all that useful, so something fun would be my choice. How about 1 sash for lowest score DQ and one for the lowest score DK (Dressage King) just in case there is one:-) :eek:

GreekDressageQueen
Nov. 20, 2007, 12:14 AM
I say do it! It's hilarious and, frankly, it's a freaking schooling show. If people can't relax at a schooling show then screw them. I like practical gifts too, but inevitably the gloves are always too small, I have WAY too many hoof picks, and I don't use/need bell boots. So, unless you have the cash to offer several different kinds of "practical gifts," fun gifts will probably be cheaper and more memorable in the long run. I may not remember every little trinket I won at some show, but I would remember the day I got a sash making me a true DQ for the day! What a riot. :lol::lol::lol: I wish the stuffy, old birds that run our club would do something this fun and original.

Eq3nStar
Nov. 20, 2007, 01:58 AM
I am an official DQ and I think your sash idea is a great one. Schooling shows are completely different than the recognized shows, they are meant to be fun and educational and open to everyone. So go with your idea. I am also an Eventer and you should be able to get some event riders to enter and they will be pleasantly surprised that a dressage show can be fun. Good luck.
Sorry, a true DQ would NEVER event! ;)

PiaffePlease
Nov. 20, 2007, 02:30 AM
I wouldnt do it. Some might thing of it as hurtful. maybe they should "be able to take a joke" but they are paying to enter this show, so why would you want to risk offending someone? for those saying "its just a schooling show", thats all that some of us can afford to go to, so just because its not rated doesnt mean its not important. If you are thinking of doing this, I would run it by the barn manager/show secretary. If someone at the show finds it offending, they probably wont show at that barn again and it would be bad for business.

Rusty Stirrup
Nov. 20, 2007, 07:48 AM
You mean you all don't already have a tiara? One can always use more I guess.

I love it! But seriously, if the consensus is against it maybe you could do it for high point champions or hold a special turnout class kinda like fitting and showmanship? Everyone says the most important thing at a schooling show is to put miles on the horse and have fun, don't they?

Hazelnut
Nov. 20, 2007, 08:16 AM
Your "special prizes" sound more like laughing at, not laughing with the participants to me. Maybe its the "we are eventers." It just seems sad to laugh at people who are trying.

I agree with the poster that said a useful prize would be more appreciated than a prize with an air of negativity about it.

But do agree you could use the particular prize you suggest for the winner of a special turn out class as Rusty Stirrup suggests.

Ah well, maybe you'll do it and people will love it and it will become a coveted prize.

SillyHorse
Nov. 20, 2007, 09:38 AM
Ah well, maybe you'll do it and people will love it and it will become a coveted prize.
That's what would happen around these parts. :lol:

sunnycher
Nov. 20, 2007, 10:12 AM
Thanks for your replies. When I said "i am an eventer", it meant i really didn't know how the idea would 'fly' with straight dressage riders, not that I look down on anyone. I really wanted your opinion, because it is meant in good humor, not to be mean.

I guess we'll check with the 'powers that be', and see what they think.

Although, if we do it and it is unpopular, I bet they won't want me to run another show? Just kidding, I am looking forward to managing it, lots to learn. thanks again.

Zevida
Nov. 20, 2007, 11:25 AM
How about 1 sash for lowest score DQ and one for the lowest score DK (Dressage King) just in case there is one:-) :eek:

Wow, what could be worse for a person after no doubt having a bad day and earning a poor score, then they have to be paraded around as a DQ for earning the lowest score of the day?

Sure there are people with personalities who can just shrug off stuff like that and laugh with everyone, but there are also a lot of personality types that would be terribly humiliated by the experience.

It is all well and good to say "lighten up" or "take a joke" or "it's just for fun" but people are different and some people just can't do that. I think it would be okay only if you advertised it ahead of time on the entry sheet and maybe included a checkbox that allowed people to choose if they want to be eligible for DQ prizes or not.

Treecipitous
Nov. 20, 2007, 11:35 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe in eventing, the lower the dressage score, the better...?

Zevida
Nov. 20, 2007, 11:53 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe in eventing, the lower the dressage score, the better...?

You are correct for eventing, but this is a dressage schooling show, not an event. They might allow eventing tests as well, but in general most of the tests will be straight dressage tests and having the lowest score is not really something you want publicized to the world.

lizathenag
Nov. 20, 2007, 12:04 PM
The winner of each class would get a blue sash (the kind the queens wear over the shoulder) and it would say "official DQ" and a mini rhinestone crown!

As long as it it clearly stated on the entry form you can do what you want. But look into your soul and decide if this is a joke as you say, or a bit of nastiness.

Mozart
Nov. 20, 2007, 02:33 PM
Is what I say. Give the DQ award to someone who, in the opinion of the show organizers, is a class act all year. Courteous at the show office, polite with volunteers, friendly to fellow competitors. Explain that the award is intended to reward those who demonstrate true queenly (or kingly) behaviour. In addition to a sash the club can then give them some prize $ which will be donated to the charity of the DQ's choice.

If you do this it will become a coveted prize and not something the richest person can win every year.

sunnycher
Nov. 20, 2007, 02:58 PM
Thank you Mozart!! That is a perfect idea, and it just might help the DQ image be a positive, desirable position!! How fun. My main thought was to 'lighten up' about the whole thing, and yet I really didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings, or be (too) offensive.

This just might be 'the ticket'!!!! Thanks again.

sunnycher
Feb. 13, 2008, 11:48 PM
O.K. - my friend and I have volunteered to run a schooling Dressage show next spring - we are eventer - and I thought it would be fun to get some "unique" prizes for 1st place.

In talking with my 'dressage' friends, (some semi dq's), we have gotten a mixed bag response. Now, the funny thing is that the "oh no, don't do it, they'll kill you" comes from the semi-dq.

What do you think?

We have figured it out!!! The show name is "Diamonds and Divas", we will run it like a regular schooling show, the judge and managers will have black baseball caps with a rhinestone horse head (cute), the prizes will be jewelry, ear-rings, bracelets, etc.

Pony-clubbers get reduced entry fees, and the club will man the snack bar as a fund raiser. We will have a 'prix caprilli class' (in hopes of getting some eventers out). And the entry form encourages 'maximum BLING" Should be really fun!!!

FancyFree
Feb. 13, 2008, 11:54 PM
It sounds very fun! I wish my barn would do something like it.

sunnycher
Feb. 13, 2008, 11:58 PM
I can email you the entry form, and you could put one on? WE could start a whole new rage!

Foxtrot's
Feb. 14, 2008, 12:10 AM
YESSSS. The results of a very constructive "think tank" on this thread have come up - in my opinion - the perfect mix of humour, and serious riding, and the coveted DQ ribbon will become a great draw every year. Fun without being tacky or nasty.

Sithly
Feb. 14, 2008, 12:25 AM
That sounds like a blast! I like the idea of giving out the DQ sash to Miss (or Mr.) Congeniality. Puts a nice spin on it.

If you're looking for practical prizes, how about buckets? I was at a show once where the champions and reserve champions of each division won blue and red buckets, respectively. Each bucket had a shiny metallic sticker (the automotive kind: waterproof) with the name of the saddle club and "Champion." I still have mine and use it all the time.

-- ETA: Whoops, posted at the same time. --

Dance_To_Oblivion
Feb. 14, 2008, 12:33 AM
I love this idea! I wish I was closer and could join in the fun!

LD1129
Feb. 14, 2008, 11:51 AM
I love it! :lol::lol:

ec412
Feb. 14, 2008, 09:10 PM

What do you think?

I would love another tiara...have fun, make it fun..way too much seriousness on this question. Like my ribbons are "useful".