PDA

View Full Version : Statement from eleanor brennan's family

Britmum
Nov. 18, 2007, 05:19 PM
We believe that Eleanor would have been heartbroken if her tragic loss impacted her beloved sport in any way. She was pursuing the sport she loved and at which she excelled, she missed the long format but loved all eventing. She would want you all to carry on with the sport she and you love so much.

This was a passion she developed when she joined pony club and started eventing she dreamed of going all the way, and she did on her beloved Bailey. She grew and developed other beautiful horses too. Although she will be known for her competitions, she was most happy with how she could find and develop horses, her picture of Bailey before and after on her website www.eleanorbrennaneventing.com about horses pay testament to that. She never forgot her roots though, proudly displaying her Mountain Skyline Pony Club banner on her stall at Badminton, and giving regional clinics etc when she was home.

If you would like to send a memory or a message of support many of you were close to her and have her facebook details please post on her wall or click the contact button on her website.

More than anything I want you understand that she was much more than her riding all the messages from england and US start with the joy she spread both on and off her horse.

Please pray for her

annikak
Nov. 18, 2007, 05:46 PM
I was lucky enough to meet your daughter this past summer at USPC Festival. She was a bright, beautiful, talented young woman. She impressed all of us with her talents both as a rider, and as a trainer of riders. Not only has Eventing lost a lovely person, but the world as well.

I am so sorry for your loss- and my prayers are with you all.

kcrubin
Nov. 18, 2007, 05:48 PM
My prayers are with you.

clivers
Nov. 18, 2007, 05:57 PM
My heartfelt and sincere condolences to Britmum and all of Eleanor's family and friends on this incredibly sad day.

Fred
Nov. 18, 2007, 06:00 PM
Adding my prayers and my heartfelt condolences to Britmum and to all of Eleanor's family and friends on this very sad day.

fargonefarm
Nov. 18, 2007, 06:17 PM
Not only do I offer my condolances but I also give you my admiration for not only raising such a wonderful, talented, and giving daughter but also for giving her the support and love that you obviously did. Love to you and your wonderful daughter.

3dazey
Nov. 18, 2007, 06:19 PM
I only "knew" Eleanor through her posts on this bb, but it was always evident how keen she was on the sport, how ready to learn and to share what she had learned.

Alot of us followed her progress with Bailey, and as she prepared for her first 3-day, it was fun to share in her excitement and anticipation.

She introduced alot of us to Somerset Saddlery, where I ended up spending $$$, but what great bargains! I also bought a set of those weird ice/gel boots based on her recommendation. They did work really well!

When I saw that she & Bailey were shipping out for the UK, I was thrilled for her. Badminton, what an achievement! And all from this little girl we first met on the Chronicle bb.

Eleanor, I did not ever meet you properly, but enjoyed knowing you nonetheless.

To your family, I am so sorry. You will be in my constant thoughts and prayers.

cinnabar
Nov. 18, 2007, 06:35 PM
I'm so very sorry for your loss. My thoughts are with your family at this most difficult time.

brindille
Nov. 18, 2007, 07:30 PM
:( I'm so sorry for your loss

Bearx2
Nov. 18, 2007, 07:33 PM
I am so sorry for your lost.

ExclusiveKiss
Nov. 18, 2007, 07:38 PM
I am so very sorry for your loss. She was an inspiration to pony clubbers and eventers alike. I hope she will be remembered for her life and not how she died.

ReSomething
Nov. 18, 2007, 07:41 PM
I will pray for her. My condolences to you on the loss of your beloved daughter and her equine partner.

RSEventer
Nov. 18, 2007, 07:46 PM
My prayers and heartfelt condolences are with you. I just reviewed Eleanor's website and she was an amazing, talented girl. You must have been so proud of her in every way. She achieved in her life what most of us only dream of. God bless.

zagafi
Nov. 18, 2007, 08:33 PM
I am so, so sorry for your loss. Your daughter was an extraordinary young woman. God Bless You.

Reynard Ridge
Nov. 18, 2007, 08:37 PM
Please pray for her

Done - for her, and family and friends.

JSwan
Nov. 18, 2007, 08:47 PM
Mrs. Brennan:

I am so sorry for the sudden and tragic loss of your daughter. The words of Kahlil Gibran have been a comfort to me in times of loss, I hope they are to you as well.

"When you are joyous, look deep into your heart and you shall find it is only that which has given you sorrow that is giving you joy.

When you are sorrowful look again in your heart, and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your greatest delight. "

frugalannie
Nov. 18, 2007, 09:31 PM
Mrs. Brennan,
Thank you for taking the time to post here. I think J Swan's post is more eloquent than anything I can say except that Eleanor's passion for her sport inspired us all and it is clear that her kindness, decency and joy in life were integral in that.

She will be in our prayers tonight and for many nights to come, as will you and your family.

nirvana002
Nov. 18, 2007, 09:39 PM
Please know we are thinking of you. We are so sorry for your loss. Please let us know if there is anything we can do.

Jill Henneberg and Ruthie Harbison

Outfox
Nov. 18, 2007, 09:45 PM
Our prayers and thoughts are with you.

canyonoak
Nov. 18, 2007, 09:45 PM
Eleanor Brennan's website somehow conveys the joy and fulfillment she found in a sport that is one of the few endeavors that humans share with another species.

I know it is probably small comfort that she died in the midst of not only life, but her great and enduring passion--but what a wonderful force and energy she had!

Not only condolences to her family--but outright admiration.

Godspeed, Eleanor Brennan!

May you ride like the wind for ever more.

Platinum Equestrian
Nov. 18, 2007, 09:50 PM
I am sorry for your loss.

hey101
Nov. 18, 2007, 10:05 PM
Mrs. Brennan,
I am so incredibly sorry for your loss. I did not know your daughter, as many on here did not, but today the eventing and greater horse community mourns as one for the loss of one of our own. Please know that there are thousands of people thinking of you and your family tonight, and all our thoughts are with you all.

Godspeed Eleanor.

Heather

mbarrett
Nov. 18, 2007, 10:15 PM
"Grief is the price we pay for love." Gretchen Jackson, owner of Barbaro.

Those words say it all for me. We are all greiving for the loss of Eleanor.

JMB

WindWillowStable
Nov. 18, 2007, 10:24 PM
I'm so sorry for you loss. She lived a life in her 21 years that most of us on this forum will only get to dream of living!

Weatherford
Nov. 19, 2007, 04:34 AM
There really aren't enough words, except to say my love and prayers are with you.

Thank you for taking the time from your own grief to share your words with us.

Godspeed, Eleanor. RIP

FlightCheck
Nov. 19, 2007, 07:07 AM
It was a horrible, horrible day.

My prayers and condolences to the family - it was a joy to watch her ride.

FlightCheck
~announcer for the **

throwurheart
Nov. 19, 2007, 07:25 AM
I am so sorry for your loss.

Dressage62
Nov. 19, 2007, 07:40 AM
Condolences.
It's a sad day for everyone.

monstrpony
Nov. 19, 2007, 08:41 AM
So very sorry for the loss of this wonderful young lady.

Fergs
Nov. 19, 2007, 08:53 AM
Sending my most sincere condolences the Brennans' way. I did not know Eleanor, but from what I've read the last few days it's apparent that eventing lost one of its most promising young riders.

Best wishes to her friends and family as they grieve this terrible loss.

:(

Fence2Fence
Nov. 19, 2007, 09:02 AM
I'm very, very sorry for the loss of Eleanor.

Debbie
Nov. 19, 2007, 09:11 AM
Hugs and condolences to you Britmum. How strong you are to defend Eleanor's passion, her sport, in the midst of your grief. Please know that an entire community who you may never meet are holding you up and grieving and celebrating your daughter's life with you.

flyingchange
Nov. 19, 2007, 09:13 AM
I don't know how to adequately express my sadness. I remember when Eleanor competed Badminton - an eventing friend and horse vet showed me an article in the Virginia Horse Journal about how this incredible 17 year old young lady had competed Badminton on a horse that she had produced herself. We were both so truely amazed and inspired by her.

This is a true tragedy for eventing and I am so deeply sorry for the loss of your beloved, brave, and brilliant Eleanor.

ponybreeder
Nov. 19, 2007, 09:13 AM
Heartfelt condolences to all Eleanor's family and friends. What an inspiration she was to so many. I can just imagine her galloping across the rainbow bridge on Barnabas, arms flung wide in search of her next adventure.

God Speed, Eleanor

IFG
Nov. 19, 2007, 09:16 AM
I remember when Eleanor used to post here as TopBritYR. Her posts were always fun to read. She was intelligent, articulate, and respectful. She spoke of her hopes for her career. She seems to have achieved most of the goals that she had set forth for herself. You should be very proud of her.

As a rider myself and a mom of two teen-aged daughters who ride, I cannot imagine how you are feeling. You have my most heart-felt condolences.

CookiePony
Nov. 19, 2007, 10:38 AM
Many thanks for sharing your thoughts and feelings with us, britmum. Please know that there are so many of us praying for you at this time.

BBowen
Nov. 19, 2007, 12:11 PM
There are no words that can express how sorry I am for the loss of your lovely daughter. Your words are very comforting to the eventing community and it is obvious you knew the depth of Eleanor's love for this sport. God bless you and all of her family and friends. Godspeed Eleanor and Barnabus.

Seal Harbor
Nov. 19, 2007, 12:17 PM
There are no words... I'm so very sorry for your loss. Eleanor sounds as though she was an amazing person, on and off a horse.

Godspeed Eleanor and Mister Barnabus.

Irish Ei's
Nov. 19, 2007, 12:24 PM
My Prayers are for you and yours remaining behind...
Gallop ON, Eleanor!!!
You're in the Finest company!!

Davignport
Nov. 19, 2007, 12:31 PM
I am so sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family at this difficult time.

Lisamarie8
Nov. 19, 2007, 12:35 PM
Britmum, I am heartsick for your loss. In times of unspeakable tragedy and unrelenting sadness there are no words that can ease the suffering which accompanies the loss of a loved one.

When my family suffered a great loss recently, I found that trying to put my grief into words, to quantify it, felt to be so important, yet utterly impossible. I found this passage which still to this day comes closer to anything else I have come upon.

Once in my life I knew a grief so hard I could actually hear it inside, scraping at the lining of my stomach, an audible ache, dredging with hooks as rivers are dredged when someone’s been missing too longI for some reason found some comfort in it. We've never met, and I don't know you personally, but it is what I have to offer as aide.

I'm so very sorry.

cosmos mom
Nov. 19, 2007, 12:38 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss!

Ilex
Nov. 19, 2007, 12:40 PM
Ride on Eleanor and Barnabus, ride on!

IQ3day14
Nov. 19, 2007, 12:48 PM
What an awful day :( I am so sorry for your loss. You are in my prayers

FairWeather
Nov. 19, 2007, 12:54 PM
I am so very sorry to hear of this tragedy. What an amazing loss to the community and humankind.

bornfreenowexpensive
Nov. 19, 2007, 01:46 PM
Sometimes life just sucks. I'm so sorry for your loss. I wish I had words that would make it better....but there are none. I hope that in time her friends and family can remember the happier times and remember her life as she lived it and not how she left. Know that she is in our prayers and so are her friends and family.

mosmom
Nov. 19, 2007, 02:12 PM
This is truly sad. My thoughts and prayers go out to Eleanor's family.

Regal Grace
Nov. 19, 2007, 02:30 PM
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
— Mahatma Gandhi

While I never met your daughter what you have said to the press as well as what others have said on the COTH BB convey your daughter had a passion for life and loved what she did even though it cut her life short. I suffered the loss of someone near and dear to me this year and but I cannot imagine what it's like to lose your child but please know I do feel for you and your family's loss. I hope the above quotation embodies the spirt of the time Eleanor and Mister Barnabus were on this earth learning and loving life as they went XC together.

TwoPointTrot
Nov. 19, 2007, 02:45 PM
I only learned about this incident just now as I logged in to see what was happening at COHF. What a tragic accident.
I am just shocked. My heartfelt condolences to family and friends.

e

Trixie
Nov. 19, 2007, 03:17 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss.

fooler
Nov. 19, 2007, 03:36 PM
Our deepest condolences.

Coreene
Nov. 19, 2007, 04:20 PM
Heartbroken to learn of such a tragedy. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

eventable
Nov. 19, 2007, 04:31 PM
My sincerest condolences to Eleanor's family and friends. We are thinking of you in New Zealand. :(

maxxtrot
Nov. 19, 2007, 05:22 PM
godspeed eleanor and mr. barnabus.you will be greatly missed. may you both find comfort over the rainbow bridge.

Hony
Nov. 19, 2007, 05:35 PM
So sorry for your loss.

Whisper
Nov. 19, 2007, 08:42 PM
I never met her, and regret that I won't have the chance to - she sounds like a wonderful horsewoman and person in general. My sympathies to you and her other family and friends.

Catalina
Nov. 20, 2007, 09:43 AM
:( I can only imagine what you are going through; I am so sorry for your loss. I did not know your daughter, but it sounds like in her short life she was a shining star for all those around her. My thoughts are with you. :cry:

Regal Grace
Nov. 20, 2007, 04:40 PM
Recently posted on the USEA website with rememberences from ULR:

http://www.useventing.com/start.php?id=1276

Gunnar
Nov. 20, 2007, 05:26 PM
Thanks for letting us in on your life with Eleanor! From what I hear she was a special young lady, admired by many!

My heart goes out to you and your family, Britmum! :sadsmile: She is jumping that Rainbow bridge for sure so don't you worry about her! :sadsmile:

kcooper
Nov. 20, 2007, 08:13 PM
I am so, so sorry that you have lost your daughter and a wonderful horse. She clearly loved what she was doing in her life and that is the best life that anyone can hope for. Bless you for giving her the opportunities to live and work in this sport. This sport can be terribly sad at times such as this, but it clearly gave her great joy. I hope you are coping as best you can. kc

Jazzy Lady
Nov. 20, 2007, 08:18 PM
There is a wonderful tribute group on Facebook dedicated to her memory.

God speed Eleanor

roslyn1
Nov. 21, 2007, 08:25 AM
Our family moved here to Virginia in the late summer of 2000 and met the Brennan family through Mountain Skyline Pony Club. I will always remember meeting Eleanor for the first time and she told me how much she was enjoying eventing Bailey at the novice level, she was so exuberant about the sport.

My daughter Liz and I followed her career both here and then in England and I was actually at Badminton's final start of "A" wishing Eleanor and Bailey Good Luck. We ran over to XC and watched as much as possible - THEY WERE AMAZING.

I had always presumed that Eleanor had begun to ride in England when she was growing up. She had grown up in the outskirts of London with her family, but it wasn't until she moved from London. UK at the age of 12 that she began to ride here in Virginia. I just wonder how many people began riding at the age of 12 and completed Badminton at 17. This young lady accomplished so much in her too short life of 21 years.

God Bless you Eleanor, Bailey, Barney and keep riding up in heaven.

The Riley Family.

Britmum
Nov. 21, 2007, 12:13 PM
Donations given in Eleanor’s memory will be held pending the establishment by Christine and Andrew Brennan of a scholarship fund in Eleanor’s name for rising equestrians.

Checks can be made out to St. Anne’s
Parish with a memoranda note “Eleanor Brennan” and sent to The
Treasurer, St. Anne’s Parish, PO Box 337, Scottsville, VA, 24590

Service of Celebration of her life
at Christchurch, Glendower,
St. Anne's Parish, (where she had been a lector)

Celebration in United Kingdom at a date to be announced

Lori
Nov. 21, 2007, 12:17 PM
I am very sorry and you are in my prayers.

BelladonnaLily
Nov. 21, 2007, 12:39 PM
It just dawned on me that Eleanor was the cute British kid I remember seeing ride at Grayson Farm years ago. We lived in the Scottsville area for about 8 years and my husband refreshed my memory about who the Brennans were. I sent a mare to Grayson for training for a very short time and remember Eleanor and I believe her sister riding there. This would have been back in '97 or '98 and if memory serves me, they hadn't been riding long. What tremendous talent Eleanor must have had to have gone so far, so fast. It seems she lived a very full life in a short time.

My thoughts and prayers go out to her family and friends. I am so sorry for their loss.

CookiePony
Nov. 22, 2007, 10:32 PM
Thinking of your family on this Thanksgiving day. Peace to you.

J. Turner
Nov. 24, 2007, 04:46 PM
As a mother and horseperson my spirit reaches out to comfort in this horrible trial of loss. I hope you and your family hold each other close and find peace in each other's grief and love. Remembering Mrs. Jackson's words, they are much the same. Even though Eleanor will not be with you physically this holiday season, know that every twinkling star, every soaring Christmas carol note, every child's smile is a manifestation of her spirit. Stay strong and feel those beautiful, ethereal moments when Eleanor is reaching out to you.

3horsemom
Nov. 24, 2007, 06:53 PM
my family send their prayers to all of this lovely young woman's family and friends. we are so sorry for your loss.

mellsmom
Nov. 26, 2007, 08:42 AM
It was absolutely beautiful. Despite it being a cold and windy day, the turout was amazing. The chursh was full as expected and Eleanor's family had arranged for a tent with a widescreen TV and speakers for the rest of us. Not only was every seat in the tent taken, there were friends standing in the back of and outside the tent. It was amazing to see so much support for the family. I know they will need it in the coming months. Her mother gave an absolutely stirring speech about Eleanor and did a beautiful job of capturing her spirit and sharing it with us. It really left me feeling so much more privelidged to have known her and her amazing family. The most beautiful thing they did was arrange for her horse and dog to be there for the interrment and to watch over her. Incredibly touching and so very much what any and all of us would want. While it was a very difficult day, I think that Eleanor's determination and joyful appreciation of life should serve to guide the rest of us along life's paths. Work hard, but don't forget to laugh and love along the way. Find beauty everywhere and be sure to hug your friends hard and often.