PDA

View Full Version : Medaglia D'Oro

SportASB
Nov. 18, 2007, 10:54 AM
Hello everyone,

This is my first post on this forum. I know little about TB's other than they are magnificent to watch :)!

Last week, I had a chance to meet Medaglia D'oro in person - I was pretty excited about it. His breeders are friends of mine, we all met in Kentucky to go see him and attend the Keenland sale. They ended up purchasing a GEORGEOUS broodmare as well as a yearling prospect. Anyway, I was in awe of this stud (and his living quarters...not to mention the trailer with a larger than life graphic of him on it...it was all so cool! I felt like I was 12 again!)

I thought it was a pretty cool experience and just was feeling the need to tell someone who might be able to appreciate it - I don't have many people in my life who are "horse" people, they don't get it.

LyndaPellitteri31
Nov. 18, 2007, 11:25 AM
Hey Sports! Welcome. That's pretty cool you got to meet him! I didn't know they had a trailer with him on it! Wow. You lived a bit of a dream of mine! I am planning in a few months to move to KY, in the Lexington area and I am getting very excited. Do you live in KY? Or was that a special trip you took?

SportASB
Nov. 18, 2007, 11:30 AM
Hi Lynda,

Thanks for the welcome! I live in New Hampshire - and my friends who bred him live in Montana, so we met there. Although being involved with Saddlebreds I used to have my horses in KY and man o man how many times have I been tempted to pack my bags and live my dream!

The trailer was magnificent! Enjoy your trip and be ready to FALL IN LOVE - you are most fortunate to be relocating to my version of heaven.

I never want to leave when I go there...maybe it's sign?

Barnfairy
Nov. 18, 2007, 06:56 PM
Lucky you!

I've always thought Medaglia D'Oro is drop-dead gorgeous. He was one of my favorites while he was running.

Though I haven't met him yet, I did get to see his daddy (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2335441410099108256YUAwDM) this past spring.

I also would have much rather sent for my horses than return to NH, but, well, here I am.

One thing that felt really odd for me, though, was that but for exercise riders & jocks nobody I met actually *rode*!

SportASB
Nov. 18, 2007, 07:02 PM
Thanks Barnfairy! And of course a warm hello to a fellow Granite Stater! And gorgeous he was!!!

Can you or anyone else tell me what the website of record would be to look up a pedigree? I want to look at the one of the mare my friends purchased. She is in foal to a big named stud but I forget what his name is...I am embarrassed to say!

Barnfairy
Nov. 18, 2007, 07:33 PM
Well pedigreequery.com (http://www.pedigreequery.com/) is free, but not always accurate as it is subject to user input.

If the mare is not in there yet, you can at least verify her sire and dam here: nominations.breederscup.com (https://nominations.breederscup.com/bcFoalVerificationForm.cfm?init=1).

SportASB
Nov. 18, 2007, 07:34 PM
Thank you! I appreciate the info!

I found her - and her sire and dam...now to find out who she is bred to...I think I am going to have to make a phone call.

Oh no...could I have been bitten by the TB bug??? I think so! This is a good thing!:)

K~2
Nov. 18, 2007, 08:15 PM
Thank you! I appreciate the info!

I found her - and her sire and dam...now to find out who she is bred to...I think I am going to have to make a phone call.

Oh no...could I have been bitten by the TB bug??? I think so! This is a good thing!:)

If they bought the mare at the Keeneland sale, her catalogue page will be there, just use their search form (http://apps.keeneland.com/data/catsearchform.asp).

It will have who she was covered by and when.

SportASB
Nov. 18, 2007, 08:38 PM
K~2

Thanks so much for that link - I confused her with another horse - this mare is in foal to Lemon Drop Kid (I did see his photo online...very handsome but I know nothing about him)- but there was another one they own who is in foal to the "big name" stud even I recognized. I apologize for my confusion and again thanks much for your help!

Linny
Nov. 18, 2007, 10:14 PM
Lemon Drop Kid won the Belmont and was a Grade 1 winner at 2, 3 and 4. He's royally bred and has turned out to be a bit better grass sire than dirt sire.

I love Medaglia d'Oro. he was an awesome looking horse while in training. In fact, I saw him run many times but have not seen him since. His babies have been well recieved at the sales so it looks like he's doing well so far. Of course, none have raced yet, next season I think...

I own a tiny little share of a son of El Prado. He was G1 placed at 2 but now is training at Turfway. He has a minor but nagging shoulder issue. If he doesn't thrive at T'way this winter, we will stop with him. I'd love to take him as a pet but cannot afford it. He's very easy going, I've hot walked him, bathed him etc.

Hey SportASB, how does it feel to have been bitten by the TB Bug?? I've been "in" it so long, I don't remember "out."

SportASB
Nov. 18, 2007, 10:21 PM
Lemon Drop Kid won the Belmont and was a Grade 1 winner at 2, 3 and 4. He's royally bred and has turned out to be a bit better grass sire than dirt sire.

I love Medaglia d'Oro. he was an awesome looking horse while in training. In fact, I saw him run many times but have not seen him since. His babies have been well recieved at the sales so it looks like he's doing well so far. Of course, none have raced yet, next season I think...

I own a tiny little share of a son of El Prado. He was G1 placed at 2 but now is training at Turfway. He has a minor but nagging shoulder issue. If he doesn't thrive at T'way this winter, we will stop with him. I'd love to take him as a pet but cannot afford it. He's very easy going, I've hot walked him, bathed him etc.

Hey SportASB, how does it feel to have been bitten by the TB Bug?? I've been "in" it so long, I don't remember "out."

Linny,

It's pretty awesome actually:)! I have been involved in many breeds and disciplines so I think I can say I am definitely one of those "if it has 4 legs and a tail (and my own personal preference, one color)," I like it. My TB exposure has been really limited but the more I learn about it, and the racing scene, the more interested I am becoming. I mean I am the neophyte of all neophytes when it comes to racing. But I have to say, the more I talk with my friends who are in it - I could see myself being drawn right in...oooooh, this could be dangerous.

:) Thank you Linny for your wonderful information on Lemon Drop Kid. It's much appreciated.

SportASB
Nov. 19, 2007, 04:40 PM
Their other mare is in foal to Giant's Causeway...I've been racking my brain on that one.

I just might have to fly to KY again to see that one! :)

doublete
Nov. 19, 2007, 05:28 PM
The racing bug is definitely a "dangerous" one when you get bitten because it's hard to cure!

SportASB
Nov. 19, 2007, 05:33 PM
doublete....

I couldn't agree anymore - although I would even say it's horses in general. I love my show horses, I love dressage, I love to jump (VERY SMALL THINGS - getting too old to have four feet off the ground for very long), I love to drive and now that I am getting closer to the racing world I am finding I am loving that too - help! Anyone got a really wealthy single guy they know - preferably oh say 45 or older? (Salt & Pepper grey hair is a bonus!)

Ha!!!

LaurieB
Nov. 19, 2007, 05:54 PM
SportASB, if you liked Medaglia D'Oro, you'll love Giant's Causeway. And the farm he lives on is absolutely to-die-for. Count me in as another who was bitten by the TB Bug. It got so bad we had to move to Kentucky. :D

Linny
Nov. 19, 2007, 08:37 PM
For checking out stallions the Blood Horse stallion register site is a must.
http://www.bloodhorse.com/stallion-register/sr_sire_page.asp?refno=4297000&origin=singlesearch

SportASB
Nov. 19, 2007, 10:19 PM
SportASB, if you liked Medaglia D'Oro, you'll love Giant's Causeway. And the farm he lives on is absolutely to-die-for. Count me in as another who was bitten by the TB Bug. It got so bad we had to move to Kentucky. :D

I have a DVD of all of the studs at Coolmore - which is where he stands I believe? I also at one time had a bunch of their promotional materials - I could not believe how many employees they had - holy smokes! That alone amazed me. Never mind the gorgeous facility and the horses. All I could say was WOW.

LaurieB - lucky you you are living there - ah...it's simply stunning. All of it. Stunning. I have a yearling who is in KY now - I haven't seen him yet (and couldn't get there on this past trip) I am dying to lay my eyes on him. Ummmm, I am thinking another trip may be in order!

Thank you Linny for the link! I will definitely check it out!

Linny
Nov. 19, 2007, 11:51 PM
Go to www.bloodhorse.com (http://www.bloodhorse.com) and click on the "stallion register" link over in the box on the left side. Type in any name and there you have it, an unending supply of awesome looking stallions, with all linds of info. Also on B-H are links to many of the major breeding operations etc.

ravenclaw
Nov. 20, 2007, 11:05 AM
SportASB -- I loved Medgalia D'Oro when he was racing. He is so gorgeous. :yes: What was his personality like when you met him?

SportASB
Nov. 21, 2007, 08:24 AM
ravenclaw,

My apologies for not getting back to you sooner. He was really sweet - calm and gentle.

And of course beautiful, I mean unbelivably beautiful.

I am ready to go back...TODAY :)