PDA

View Full Version : What makes a DQ?

Carol O
Nov. 18, 2007, 09:44 AM
Just what defines a DQ?

lizathenag
Nov. 18, 2007, 11:17 AM
My understanding is DQ is a pejorative. Someone who is more concerned about fashion and name dropping than correct and gymnastic riding and often is negative about others.

Lots of jokes about DQs such as
How do you tell a DQ from a puppy. . .?

the puppy eventually stops whining.

there are others. I hope somebody posts them.

MaresNest
Nov. 18, 2007, 12:04 PM
Someone who thinks that she is right all the time, has to have things exactly her way or she has a tantrum, and focuses on appearances. Someone who loves dressage for the high degree of control that it gives her, rather than for the harmony with her horse.

Hopefully I'm not about to make a bunch of enemies with this statement, but I always think "DQ" when I see women riding their tests at shows with a ton of makeup on. I can understand wearing *a little* makeup, though I don't know that I've ever put any on to ride, but if I can see it from the sidelines, it always sparks an involunutary eye roll. Also, I think blush is generally ill-advised when doing anything of an athletic nature. By the end of the test, you end up looking like Raggedy Ann is your makeup artist.

This might just be my snarkiest post ever.

ToN Farm
Nov. 18, 2007, 12:14 PM
Anyone the rides an especially nice horse, has nice tack, dresses well, has a good income, and heaven forbid is attractive with a nice figure is called a DQ by those that don't fit that description.

MaresNest
Nov. 18, 2007, 12:24 PM
Anyone the rides an especially nice horse, has nice tack, dresses well, has a good income, and heaven forbid is attractive with a nice figure is called a DQ by those that don't fit that description.

Yeah! Down with ugly, poor, fat people on mediocre horses! They are toooo mean!

:rolleyes:

FuelsterFarm
Nov. 18, 2007, 12:35 PM
For me a DQ is someone who buys a scholmaster after struggling for years with Eeyore, then looks down their nose at their former peers who are not able to do the same. Someone who goes to every clinic in their custom saddle/bridle and riding wardrobe and name drops incessantly while recalling loudly the comment that X made about how fabulous their horse is, etc. Oh, and someone who acts incredulous when they learn that not everyone they come into contact with is going to Wellington for the winter.

It is a mindset that you are better than everyone else and deserve special treatment.

Usually it is someone who is newer to the sport and has some insecurities that manifest themselves in a middle school fashion.

Donella
Nov. 18, 2007, 12:43 PM
Anyone the rides an especially nice horse, has nice tack, dresses well, has a good income, and heaven forbid is attractive with a nice figure is called a DQ by those that don't fit that description

Seems to be what I have noticed as well because half the time the person who describes the above as a DQ has never met the person they are bashing and so when you make fun of someone because they look like they have it together, it isn't very becoming.

Nomoreusernames
Nov. 18, 2007, 12:46 PM
"Anyone the rides an especially nice horse, has nice tack, dresses well, has a good income, and heaven forbid is attractive with a nice figure is called a DQ by those that don't fit that description."

OMG!

Zevida
Nov. 18, 2007, 01:04 PM
DQ = Dressage Snob

You can be poor, ugly overweight and riding a cheap-o horse and be a DQ. It is 100% about the attitude.

TwoArabs
Nov. 18, 2007, 01:15 PM
I've met a few DQs over the years. One thing that they all had in common was lack of consideration of their horse as a horse. They either treated it as a child or as a piece of sporting equipment. I've known other very accomplished riders who do dressage, but they were first and foremost horsewomen.

enjoytheride
Nov. 18, 2007, 02:51 PM
Complains to her trainer when someone else wants to ride with her in the 200 X 300 foot arena in a public facility. Had this happen to me, the DQ asked me to leave the arena until she was done.

Does not want her horse turned out because he gets dirty. Then sells her horse because he bucks her off.

pintopiaffe
Nov. 18, 2007, 03:03 PM
I don't think it's always derogatory... at least not in the circles I (actually) travel in. It is rather tongue in cheek at times.

Sometimes I think I might give off the impression that I am, because I am fanatic, almost to the point of compulsion, about colour coordinating if we're riding anywhere but my back 40. Granted they might be Wallyworld leggings instead of breeches, or a $8 vest instead of a real riding one, BUT, I have been caught with a plaid summer shirt with the polos matching one stripe and the saddle pad matching another... :uhoh: Have had plaid pads that the polos MUST match one of the colours. (Yes, I do have a polo problem, I admit it. But it's only since Ebay became an enabler of polos at very, very low prices... :no: )

I try very hard not to overdo it... but I think it's a combination of midlife crisis and the fact that they didn't have 'my pretty pony' when I was a child. Himself looks SMASHING in all things purple, and lately I've found myself getting non-horse-related clothes in shades of plum, smoky lavendar, 'wood heather', and periwinkle... :eek: :eek:

BTW, I'm overweight and poor, and he is pinto, ayerab, AND almost-a-pony so... maybe we are safe after all. :lol:

~Freedom~
Nov. 18, 2007, 03:04 PM

Usually the ones that don't fit that description ( by those that don't fit that description) can be found at shows and elsewhere discussing the ones that have gotten off their butt and competed.

Ibex
Nov. 18, 2007, 03:08 PM
A DQ is the Dressage version of a Hunter Princess... basically a prima donna, regardless of finances.

And I think most people have their DQ "moments"! Let's be honest, you have to be somewhat anal-retentive to get joy out of a perfect 20m circle... it's just if you inflict it on others that can turn you into a DQ!

sing
Nov. 18, 2007, 04:57 PM
I could tell you, but then I would have to talk to you,
and(sniff) that is not going to happen.

carolprudm
Nov. 18, 2007, 05:04 PM
DQ = Dressage Snob

You can be poor, ugly overweight and riding a cheap-o horse and be a DQ. It is 100% about the attitude.
Yup, I'm a DQ and proud of it. I'm poor, ugly overweight and riding a cheap-o horse but every time I see SIL riding in half chaps shorts on her ancient Stuben with the balance point somewhere on the horse's kidneys I get quite DQish.
It's about having standards

sing
Nov. 18, 2007, 05:04 PM
Of course, I could have my groom tell your groom......oh wait YOU don't have one AH HAH HAH HAH......

TripleC
Nov. 18, 2007, 05:06 PM
Its a state of mind, and (unless you are whining non-DQ) completely tongue in cheek. We are sisterhood that is allowed to be fussy about the conditions we are to ride our horses in. If you are a DQ you can be anal about their care, turnout, supplements, saddle fit, training, and especially FOOTING i.e. it gives you license to practice good Horsmanship regardless of how much you paid for your steed and how co-ordinated your gear is. As a DQ you are expected to expect only the best and not settle for less. You generally put your horse and the related expenses above your own comfort. Join us, your horse will thank you for it!

Bravestrom
Nov. 18, 2007, 05:09 PM
my dressage coach and I are always joking about this. Since we are eventers, she is always trying to convert me into a dq.

I admit I have some dq moments (not the negative ones above) because above all else, I love my horse and would lay down my life for him.

She was absolutely thrilled when I bought a dressage saddle and black bridle, over the moon when I got a real dressage coat and now quite excited that I am getting "real" dressage boots.

She says my conversion will be complete when I have a top hat.

I admit - the more I ride dressage and the more intense it gets, the more I am enjoying it.

so maybe I am a 1/2 dq.

Carol O
Nov. 18, 2007, 05:24 PM
I too see the DQ in those with color coordinated everything. I like the part about having high standards about the comfort of one's horse. I think I must be 1/2 DQ too!

TripleC
Nov. 18, 2007, 05:40 PM
YES! We can all be DQs in every disclipline!

Sithly
Nov. 18, 2007, 05:59 PM
I think DQ is a derogatory term for a snob who also rides dressage. It's been good-naturedly reclaimed by the in group and is now applied with pride. :)

petitefilly
Nov. 18, 2007, 07:26 PM

Ah, come'on some of them deserve the DQ nomdeplume. We all know who they are, we do not have to point and sneer to let them know who they are. Sadly, the DQ is strictly more interested in how she looks than in her horse, or the horse's welfare, or the DQ would not be there to point at!

Call a spade a spade.

1. If you wear Vogels, Pikeur, a plaid Euro vest, only black or white breeches, and cannot ride your way out of a walk then you might be a DQ.

2. If you had your horse's first shoes preserved in bronze but do not know how your horse is shod, you might be a DQ.

3. If you made your horse eat a pound of carrots, but do not know what he is fed at his daily meals, you might be a DQ.

4. If you cry when you have horse snot blown on your new breeches, and refuse to ride if the horse does blow snot on you, you might be a DQ.

5. If you do not have a sense of humor about DQs, you might be a DQ in training.

LOL I am sure the list can be continued...............

lizathenag
Nov. 18, 2007, 07:40 PM
After reading these posts I think the definition of a DQ depends on who is using the term.

sort of like dyke or fag or other words that may have started out as a negative but have been reclaimed by the folks who have been labeled.

MEP
Nov. 18, 2007, 08:10 PM
cont'd

6. If you bought your horse in Europe and sneer at those who have US/Canadian bred horses, you might be a DQ (Key word here is "sneer")

I agree that it had/has a pejorative connotation (especially among h/j princesses and farriers who think middle aged ladies trotting around in circles endlessly should be mocked behind their backs or perhaps even in front of their backs :lol:).

It also implies to me people with loads of cash who are into appearances more than experiences.

I also think it's fun to toss the term around to deflate the stereotypes!

carolprudm
Nov. 18, 2007, 08:16 PM
To expand on my previous post, a person who places more importance on her comfort than her horse's

Carol O
Nov. 18, 2007, 09:27 PM
Okay, so I sort of threw it out to my club for a new award at our annual meeting. The DQ of the Year. Yes, like all the DQ has, this award can be bought. One dallar per vote, buy all you want for yourself or another DQ, popular vote wins the tiara, and all proceeds go to a chosen charity or cause. What do you think?

MEP
Nov. 18, 2007, 09:38 PM
Okay, so I sort of threw it out to my club for a new award at our annual meeting. The DQ of the Year. Yes, like all the DQ has, this award can be bought. One dallar per vote, buy all you want for yourself or another DQ, popular vote wins the tiara, and all proceeds go to a chosen charity or cause. What do you think?

What a GREAT idea!

Dressage Art
Nov. 18, 2007, 10:26 PM
I posted that painting once already. I think it's a great illustration of an Ultimate DQ - both in positive and negative sides.
large image: http://www.joyceimages.com/images/Victoria%20Horse.JPG

Carol O
Nov. 18, 2007, 10:28 PM
I am sooo glad you like it MEP! I had a lot of fun thinking about it! We could take the whole DQ thing and make it a positive, rejecting the DQ as a Camilla, but making her into a Diana, doing her part for others... Okay, that may be a bit dramatic, but you get the idea....

houserabbitz
Nov. 18, 2007, 10:43 PM
Of course, I could have my groom tell your groom......oh wait YOU don't have one AH HAH HAH HAH......

Hahaha, too funny. :lol:

FEIwannabe
Nov. 18, 2007, 11:16 PM
A DQ is the Dressage version of Paris Hilton

ride-n-tx
Nov. 18, 2007, 11:33 PM

Ewww! but hey, at least DQ's have some talent!!! ;)

pony grandma
Nov. 18, 2007, 11:40 PM

I just choked back on the swig of wine in my mouth vs you'all who spew on the keyboard.
(Just got back from a road trip and need my go-to-sleep medicinal).

and for Lisathenag here's your joke!

The Dressage Queen was out for dinner with her husband one night at, of course, a very fancy trendy restaurant. While they were sitting there a very beautiful young lady walked up to their table, said hello to the husband, leaned over to kiss him and said "I'll see you later," then turned and left.

"WELL!" said the DQ. "WHO WAS THAT??"

"That is my mistress," replied the husband.

"Mistress??!!" snapped the DQ. Then the rage began. "Mistress? I'm not putting up with that! That will be the end of our marriage! I want a divorce!"

"Is that so?" replied the husband calmly. "Then that will mean the end of the buying trips to Europe, the Big Name Trainer, the grooms, the clinics, the shows, the big dually truck and the living quarters trailer."

Hmmm, the DQ sat there fuming.

Then she saw Harry, their neighbor, walk into the room with a beautiful young lady on 'his' arm.

"Who is that?? with Harry?" she asked.

"Oh," her husband replied, "that's Harry's new mistress."

Hmmmm, (she's thinking) then she turns back to her husband.

"Well our's is prettier!"

Sabine
Nov. 18, 2007, 11:51 PM
I've been around this sport for a long time- in Germany and here...and I would have to say a DQ can be anything - but she most certainly is

1. not one that will ride a bucking 3 yr old and
2. not one that will consider dressage a hard core sport- where fitness of the horse and the rider is a prerequisite to produce excellent work...

Therefore she most often is reduced to analyzing details- like the products, makers, tack, colors etc...all superficialities that have really very limited impact on the quality of riding...(I consider a good saddle and bridle and essential detail - but really a well fitting saddle can be a Wintec or a 5K Schleese- doesn't really assure you of a stellar performance...LOL!)

A DQ in my mind has defnitely a lot of attitude and TIME! Time to gossip and hang around and spread her air of excellence around the dressage court...

I personally like a good DQ- they're always good fun to be around and find out the latest gossip and what's in and out...all stuff that I rarely have time for...;)

Eventer13
Nov. 19, 2007, 12:02 AM
Ewww! but hey, at least DQ's have some talent!!! ;)

Now, now, Paris has found God and is ready to save all the starving children in Africa. As long as she doesn't have to get her hands dirty...

hummm, that's just like a DQ.

OT, but my favorite video of PH is when she falls off the horse she was riding. And then has to be airlifted. Good grief. :rolleyes:

lizathenag
Nov. 19, 2007, 12:04 AM
Thank you pony grandma!

CapitolDesign
Nov. 19, 2007, 09:33 AM
Dressage Queen is freshly coifed. Not even she remembers her own hair color, but she has taken great pains to ensure that Rolf, the hairdresser, makes the perm and highlights look "natural." Diamond studs are elegant and stately, and not so large that they blind the judge during the entire passage-piaffe tour. $30 dollar denim jumper worn over $300 full seat white breeches and custom Koenigs.

The horse: Fleistergeidelsprundheim ("Fleistergeidel" for short) is an 18-hand warmblood who was bred to make Grand Prix in a European nation where his breeders are still laughing hysterically when they talk about 'zat crazy American.' Despite being runty, his owner fell in love with his lofty gaits, proud carriage and tremendous athleticism. Never mind that this talent was not revealed until he was chased down by a rabid raccoon, and has not been repeated since. Has been injured sixteen times in the last year, preventing his move to PSG at age 6, despite living in a 20' x 20' padded stall and providing family supporting wages to a groom whose chief job duty is "don't let him get hurt!"

Often heard from a Dressage Queen -- "Oh no, he's hurt again?!" "The check is in the mail." To Herr Germanlastname: "Can't you tune up those one tempis for me?" To the groom: "Get me that mounting block -- can't you see my nails are still wet?" To the show manager: "That footing has ruined my chances at Olympic Gold, I'll have you know." and "What were you thinking, stabling me next to that nobody? That horse could be *diseased*?" To anyone who will listen: "When I had dinner with Hilda / Lendon / Robert . . . "

http://jmatt.net/ElecEq/types.html

GreekDressageQueen
Nov. 19, 2007, 01:17 PM
This is a funny thread :lol:

I read in one of my numerous horsey magazines that the term "Dressage Queen" started when Isabel Werth made it big. Her middle name is Regina, which means Queen in Latin or something and, of course, she is a dressage rider. The press in Europe started calling her the "Dressage Queen" and now we like to call lots of people "DQ's" whether or not they deserve it.

I think Isabel Werth deserves the title because she is a beautiful, successful, slim, dedicated, talented, educated (she is a lawyer), and a darn good dressage rider. So, if she is the standard then I am proud to be called a DQ.

Everyone else has twisted the use of the term because there are too many spoiled, rich bitches that cock an attitude about everything. Because of the money and prestige involved in riding, we have quite a few of those individuals in every discipline. :no:

Dressage Art
Nov. 19, 2007, 02:13 PM
I read in one of my numerous horsey magazines that the term "Dressage Queen" started when Isabel Werth made it big.

Original credit goes to the Queen Victoria, whos oil painting I posted above.

DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho"
Nov. 19, 2007, 02:17 PM
Come to St. Louis, and I cans how you some! A picture is worth a thousand words...

GreekDressageQueen
Nov. 19, 2007, 02:30 PM
Sorry, the BB posted my message twice.

Carry on...

Chief2
Nov. 19, 2007, 02:39 PM
What makes a DQ?

A gazillion calories and a red roof.

Sorry guys. I saw this as the top post on the forum menu and couldn't resist. :)
FEIwannabe, your sense of humor almost cost me my cup of coffee!
Paris Hilton, indeed!

Mozart
Nov. 19, 2007, 03:19 PM
I say we reclaim the name and make it our own. I wear lipstick and stud earrings. I can clean up all right. But I can also toss 100 or so hay bales and back up my truck and trailer.

Call me a DQ if you like :cool:

Dressage Art
Nov. 19, 2007, 03:46 PM
I wear lipstick and stud earrings. I can clean up all right. But I can also toss 100 or so hay bales and back up my truck and trailer.
Call me a DQ if you like :cool:

Hmm, it's not only about wearing pretty clothes and be able to clean up nice. Appearance is only a small part of the DQizm

1. Appearance of DQ: $$$$ clothes, diamonds, bling, clean and well groomed at any moment.
2. Appearance of DQ horse: clean and well groomed at any moment with $$$ tack and lots of bling.
3. Care for herself as DQ: artificial nails and eyelashes, weekly spas, massages, facials and hairdresser visits.
4. Care for DQ horse: massages, chiropractors, acupuncture, only warm water baths, multiple supplements, no turn out, no trail riding, bubble warping, perfect footing, super clean barn, custom amount of shavings, custom amount of feed.
5. Mega money: $$$ support from DQ's hubby while DQ does not have to work, thus has mega time that she spends in the barn grooming her horses.
6. Attitude toward others: Most DQs are still stuck at the High School Prom Era and use the same methods to go around their life. There are just way too many negative traits that come with a name "DQ": when somebody is rudely inconsiderable and selfish plus have no clue that they are acting this way - this might be DQ. Running you out of arena, taking all the space in the aisle, feed room, tack room, wash rack, pointing out that your horse, saddle, bridle, boots, jacket is worse than hers, expecting everybody to drop everything immediately and pay attention only to her, assuming that other people are blessed if DQ will lower herself to talk with you, theatrically turning her back, rolling her eyes and whispering gossip as soon as yet another "peasant red neck" walks in to DQ barn. DQs think that most things in life can be bought and will get the same credit as working hard to get them.

While I wouldn't mind having an appearance of DQ, expensive tack, mega time and mega money to give my horse anything that she needs - I definitely don't want to have a rotten DQ attitude (ala Paris Hilton) and I don't want use "DQ bubble wrap" for my horse either - I turn my horse out and trail ride her as well, I do not want to confine my horse to the same box stall and the same sand box day after day after day. I personally met only a couple of DQ who share every one of the DQizm traits. There are plenty of partial DQs around tho - I myself love to dress up for a show and have my horse show ready.

InsideLeg2OutsideRein
Nov. 19, 2007, 04:04 PM
you put it on your license plate.

:winkgrin: Initials and then DQ. Someone at my barn has that and it's pretty funny :lol: (Someone once asked if she imported her mare and she said in her perfect British accent: Yes, from Oregon! (since then the mare is referred to as the Oregon Warmblood.)

MEP
Nov. 19, 2007, 05:14 PM
(Someone once asked if she imported her mare and she said in her perfect British accent: Yes, from Oregon! (since then the mare is referred to as the Oregon Warmblood.)

This is EXCELLENT! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

FancyFree
Nov. 19, 2007, 05:19 PM
DQs think that most things in life can be bought and will get the same credit as working hard to get them.

It's all the more satisfying when they find out that money can not buy ability. They can spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on Farfignuggen imported from Germany, but that doesn't mean they will be able to ride him. I've been around two of these types. It can be schadenfreude-licious to watch.

snoopy
Nov. 19, 2007, 05:20 PM
That horse has long toes and dropped coronary bands.

:lol:

Forget all the drama. DQ means DAIRY QUEEN. Blizzards, banana splits, dilly bars. Oh my!

YEEEE-HAAAAA!!!:D

TBrescue
Nov. 20, 2007, 01:02 PM
It is a mindset that you are better than everyone else and deserve special treatment..

I think this quite pretty much sums it up....

msbetty
Nov. 20, 2007, 10:55 PM
"Hmm, it's not only about wearing pretty clothes and be able to clean up nice. Appearance is only a small part of the DQizm

1. Appearance of DQ: $$$$ clothes, diamonds, bling, clean and well groomed at any moment.
2. Appearance of DQ horse: clean and well groomed at any moment with $$$ tack and lots of bling.
3. Care for herself as DQ: artificial nails and eyelashes, weekly spas, massages, facials and hairdresser visits.
4. Care for DQ horse: massages, chiropractors, acupuncture, only warm water baths, multiple supplements, no turn out, no trail riding, bubble warping, perfect footing, super clean barn, custom amount of shavings, custom amount of feed.
5. Mega money: $$$ support from DQ's hubby while DQ does not have to work, thus has mega time that she spends in the barn grooming her horses.
6. Attitude toward others: Most DQs are still stuck at the High School Prom Era and use the same methods to go around their life. There are just way too many negative traits that come with a name "DQ": when somebody is rudely inconsiderable and selfish plus have no clue that they are acting this way - this might be DQ. Running you out of arena, taking all the space in the aisle, feed room, tack room, wash rack, pointing out that your horse, saddle, bridle, boots, jacket is worse than hers, expecting everybody to drop everything immediately and pay attention only to her, assuming that other people are blessed if DQ will lower herself to talk with you, theatrically turning her back, rolling her eyes and whispering gossip as soon as yet another "peasant red neck" walks in to DQ barn. DQs think that most things in life can be bought and will get the same credit as working hard to get them.

While I wouldn't mind having an appearance of DQ, expensive tack, mega time and mega money to give my horse anything that she needs - I definitely don't want to have a rotten DQ attitude (ala Paris Hilton) and I don't want use "DQ bubble wrap" for my horse either - I turn my horse out and trail ride her as well, I do not want to confine my horse to the same box stall and the same sand box day after day after day. I personally met only a couple of DQ who share every one of the DQizm traits. There are plenty of partial DQs around tho - I myself love to dress up for a show and have my horse show ready."

Wow. Someone has given this WAY to much thought. I take exception to someone who thinks having their horses muscles massaged (often can detect an underlying problem), chiropractic adjustment (same) or acupuncture (I've done it myself and it works) automatically makes someone a so called "DQ". Supplements for your horse makes you a DQ! Good grief!! How about you just care about their comfort, health and safety. I use leg protection especially when using poles or cavaletti. To me that is just being responsible. It doesn't mean my horse does not get ridden on the trails or turned out. I have to admit, if I had just had a tough work out, I would not want someone to spray my warm muscles with cold water. By the way, it can cause horses to tie up and get spasms.

MaresNest
Nov. 20, 2007, 11:22 PM
I have to admit, if I had just had a tough work out, I would not want someone to spray my warm muscles with cold water. By the way, it can cause horses to tie up and get spasms.[/B]

Spasms/cramping, yes. Tying up, no. Tying up is about degree of exertion, fitness level, and metabolic status.

FancyFree
Nov. 20, 2007, 11:51 PM
Ms.Betty I think DressageArt sees a DQ as someone who has ALL of the characteristics that she listed. I mean if it was just based on one, according to #2, I would be a DQ. (Sans the bling part. I think bling on tack is tacky.) I like very nice tack and I put a lot into my horse's grooming. I'm quite OCD about it. But all the rest, uh, not so much. :no:

Dressage Art
Nov. 21, 2007, 02:01 AM
Thanks Fancy Free.
Ms. Betty is my personal stalker :D Most of her posts are directed at me. She basically follows me around, quotes my posts and then picks them apart. She even signed up to COTH just to reveal to the world how stupid and evil I am ;) I don't even know who she is and never "talked" to her on the web - she just started to stalk me one day, out of the blue.

kashmere
Nov. 21, 2007, 09:01 AM
The Karl Lagerfelds of the horse world.
http://ivyparis.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/06/14/karl_lagerfeld.jpg

:lol::lol::lol:

kahjul
Nov. 21, 2007, 10:13 AM
Well, my horse is always groomed to the 9's, I only ride in good footing, (except when walking on trails), I only hose my horse off with warm water, my tack is very nice, mostly custom...that being said , my horse is not a WB and I even rope on occasion!

Mozart
Nov. 21, 2007, 11:27 AM
Spasms/cramping, yes. Tying up, no. Tying up is about degree of exertion, fitness level, and metabolic status.

Actually, the research done in preparation for the Atlanta Olympics dispelled this notion. Ask the eventers what they do to cool down a horse, especially in very hot weather. Horses are sponged off with buckets of ICE water and then quickly scraped off. They neither tie up nor spasm.

Now, in coolish weather, when cooling down quickly is not that important,I too pefer room temp to warmish water. Just seems nicer....

msbetty
Nov. 21, 2007, 12:36 PM
Much like the Shadow and all of your other superheros, I attempt to fight ignorance where ever I find it. Unfortunately that seems to be those posts where DA finds herself pontificating ad naseum. Some people just like to hear themselves talk. Stalking is not the purpose, but like Jamil89 I can remain silent for only so long. :):):):):lol:

"IGNORANCE BEWARE"

msbetty

Gracie
Nov. 21, 2007, 04:50 PM
Wow. Someone has given this WAY to much thought. I take exception to someone who thinks having their horses muscles massaged (often can detect an underlying problem), chiropractic adjustment (same) or acupuncture (I've done it myself and it works) automatically makes someone a so called "DQ". Supplements for your horse makes you a DQ! Good grief!! How about you just care about their comfort, health and safety. I use leg protection especially when using poles or cavaletti. To me that is just being responsible. It doesn't mean my horse does not get ridden on the trails or turned out. I have to admit, if I had just had a tough work out, I would not want someone to spray my warm muscles with cold water. By the way, it can cause horses to tie up and get spasms.

C'mon, admit it. Say it loud, say it proud: I am a dressage queen!

Dalfan
Nov. 21, 2007, 05:51 PM
Ohhh! I have one of those too!! Welcome to the world of the stalked. It's great to know you're loved, isn't it?!?

ONE?? I think it's time you do a recount. I would say you have more than one of those. :);)

MEP
Nov. 21, 2007, 07:38 PM
The Karl Lagerfelds of the horse world.
http://ivyparis.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/06/14/karl_lagerfeld.jpg

:lol::lol::lol:

:lol::lol::lol: :eek:

Dressage Art
Nov. 21, 2007, 07:44 PM
C'mon, admit it. Say it loud, say it proud: I am a dressage queen! :yes: :lol: :lol: :lol:
But it's a catch 22, most of the time, DQs are absolutely clueless that they are DQs. DQs always have a perfect explanations for all of their actions and everything that they do is correct, it's the OTHER people who are doing it ALL wrong and NEED to be corrected! ;)

PS: I'm doing the COTH Secret Santa Gift exchange (its sooo much fun!) now I'm just hoping that my personal stalker didn't get my name as a giftee :lol: watch, she'll sent me coals :lol: with a message that I've been a bad, very bad girl this year! :lol:

Carol O
Nov. 22, 2007, 12:06 AM
DQs of the World, UNITE! I did not think I was, but I now know I am a DQ. Why? Because my horse's comfort is paramount (DQ). I take him extra shavings at the stable he is at for the winter because they do not, in my opinion, give the horses enough. Why? Because my horse is now 22 yrs. old now, and he needs more shavings because he is 22. Yes, he is an imported FEI DWB. I imported him (DQ). I could afford him because he was older, 17 when I bought him. No apologies there. Yes, even though he was older he cost a more than any horse I have previously owned, but he has taught me more than any other horse too. I bought him because I was tired of being an aging AA at first level. I could afford him because I have worked my butt off to get the degree, and thus the income to decide what I want and then go for it. No apologies there either. I guess some DQs never work, but some of us do, because we have learned that only through hard work do you get that which you really want. I now ride at PSG, and yes, I have ridden it badly, but I am learning to do it well, because I can learn it, and my horse is a wonderful teacher. When you learn to walk, you fall a lot. Learning PSG has been a struggle too, but like I learned to walk, I am learning PSG too (DQ). I can now ride with BNT clinicians, on my imported DWB, thus allowing me to name drop these BNTs (DQ). Cool! Okay, I guess the real DQs don't need to work... I have worked hard for all I have, will not apologise, and would not have it any other way!

msbetty
Nov. 22, 2007, 12:40 AM
Carol O, Bravo!!!!!:):):):):)

Rhiannonjk
Nov. 22, 2007, 07:54 AM
But it's a catch 22, most of the time, DQs are absolutely clueless that they are DQs.

They must not have my mother, who mocks me everytime I go home about how I've turned into one (and I've never really considered it a negative term). My custom Dehners should be ready any day now!
...but I hang out with eventers, so I'll always have a little bit of grounding.

Mozart
Nov. 22, 2007, 11:25 AM
DQs of the World, UNITE! I did not think I was, but I now know I am a DQ. Why? Because my horse's comfort is paramount (DQ). I take him extra shavings at the stable he is at for the winter because they do not, in my opinion, give the horses enough. Why? Because my horse is now 22 yrs. old now, and he needs more shavings because he is 22. Yes, he is an imported FEI DWB. I imported him (DQ). I could afford him because he was older, 17 when I bought him. No apologies there. Yes, even though he was older he cost a more than any horse I have previously owned, but he has taught me more than any other horse too. I bought him because I was tired of being an aging AA at first level. I could afford him because I have worked my butt off to get the degree, and thus the income to decide what I want and then go for it. No apologies there either. I guess some DQs never work, but some of us do, because we have learned that only through hard work do you get that which you really want. I now ride at PSG, and yes, I have ridden it badly, but I am learning to do it well, because I can learn it, and my horse is a wonderful teacher. When you learn to walk, you fall a lot. Learning PSG has been a struggle too, but like I learned to walk, I am learning PSG too (DQ). I can now ride with BNT clinicians, on my imported DWB, thus allowing me to name drop these BNTs (DQ). Cool! Okay, I guess the real DQs don't need to work... I have worked hard for all I have, will not apologise, and would not have it any other way!

Stand united DQ sisters. We shall overcome!

seeuatx
Nov. 22, 2007, 12:00 PM
I've been reading this thread with a lot of interest, and a lot of the answers are really amusing. Anyone else think that there is a difference between a DQ and a Dressage Queen?

Usually a DQ is a tongue in cheek comment I make about myself as I make sure my horses boots/polos/fluffy back pad are white as white can be. My horses comfort does come first to me, since he tries so hard for me, I return the favor. He has comfy blankets, the best farrier, a chiropractor, and as many peppermints a horse could want, lol. When I go to ride I have a complex about turnout (probably from my college riding days) My horse is always clean, hay out of mane and tail, and though usually don't match we are both clean and neat. I'd consider myself a DQ.

Still I know a few people who blow my efforts for a happy equine partner out of the water. These are the ones I call Dressage Queens. The main quality in these people is that they berate others for not doing exactly what they believe to be correct. They may have only been riding for a year, but they are self procclaimed experts in dressage theory. I was given a ten minute lecture on the evils of rollkur once when I had been schooling counter canter on my horse, who was coming back into fitness, fell behind my leg and the vertical for 2 strides (note, I do not practice rollkur...ever). I have been berated for everything from not buying my horse special organic fruits from the farmers market, to pulling his mane, giving him a body clip, I do too much lateral work with him, and not having the animal communicator "treat" my poor horse. Of these people some have ridden for several years, one of them for just over one, but they have been taking dressage lessons (at w/t)for a year or less and I,with my 2nd schooling 3rd OTTB and 10 years of dressage under my belt, am the ignorant one? All you can do is nod and smile, and then walk away (trying not to run, lol).

FancyFree
Nov. 22, 2007, 12:35 PM
Thanks Fancy Free.
Ms. Betty is my personal stalker :D Most of her posts are directed at me. She basically follows me around, quotes my posts and then picks them apart. She even signed up to COTH just to reveal to the world how stupid and evil I am ;) I don't even know who she is and never "talked" to her on the web - she just started to stalk me one day, out of the blue.

I had a stalker too. On a celebrity gossip board. Apparently she stalked quite a few people, getting their phone numbers and addresses. I'm lucky she never leaves her basement in Michigan! LOL.

I think the term Dressage Queen can be seen in a positive light too. I had a wonderful trainer a few years ago. She was, and probably still it, always perfectly turned out, so is her horse. She was a beautiful rider and a very supportive/positive trainer. Above all, she had impeccable manners, always exceptionally gracious. All of her students greatly admired her, myself included. We even had a inside joke of "What Would ________ Do?" Like the "What Would Jesus Do? bracelets" She just conducted herself so elegantly in all things that we wanted to emulate her. That's a Dressage Queen in the best sense.

Dressage Art
Nov. 22, 2007, 01:12 PM
I had a stalker too. On a celebrity gossip board. Apparently she stalked quite a few people, getting their phone numbers and addresses. I'm lucky she never leaves her basement in Michigan! LOL.
Yes, that's the thing that worries me, my contacts and all of my personal information can be easily found on my website. I just hope that stalking will stay online only (especially from people who call themselves "heroes" while stalking others)

Definitely the term Dressage Queen can be seen in a positive light! I love clean, groomed horses and riders (i try hard to be one myself). I wish I can afford monthly chiro, massages and acupuncture visits for my horse and weekly shots of Legend. May be there is a difference between DQ and Dressage Queen. I also have friends and trainers who possess some of the values of the complete dressage queens and some of them are truly admirable traits... while others are silly and annoying. The bottom line for me is that as long as DQs keep it to themselves and not preach me that I need to buy a $500 padded nose band to better my horse’s training, that I need to buy a $300 white breeches with a black stripe on the sides, that my Ariat boots are not real dressage boots, that my horse is not good enough for dressage and I really should sell her and import the real dressage horse, that there are not enough shavings in the stalls (oh I'm sooo tired of listening to that one) – then DQs doesn’t bother me at all, let them live in their special worlds … as long as they don’t impose their believes on me.

msbetty
Nov. 22, 2007, 01:47 PM
I have posted on this website 15 times now, including this post on what I would consider to be a wide variety of topics. Some people place themselves in the center of the universe and everything else revolves around them. Open debate becomes "stalking". Good natured "debate" becomes a threat. Good Lord people, get over yourself and move on. Stalking is a serious accusation:eek:. I suggest you all should refrain from using that term anymore. If you can't take a little heat to stick up for your opinions get out of the kitchen. If you don't like the fact my opinion is different from yours, you can also put me on your ignore list. Quite frankly, nothing would make me happier!:cool:

GreekDressageQueen
Nov. 22, 2007, 02:49 PM
WOW - I know a Betty that sounds just like you. You could be her come to think of it...

I think we are all just having some good natured fun here. This is a light-hearted, silly post and I for one enjoy laughing at the posts. You should try it some time :winkgrin: - laughing I mean. It might warm your cockles.

msbetty
Nov. 22, 2007, 03:08 PM
And here I thought I was the one who was trying to be light hearted. Go figure. I don't believe I know you, Greek Dressage Queen but nice to meet you!!:):):):):):):):) I hope those are enough happy faces!!!!

Soldier06
Nov. 22, 2007, 03:30 PM
I would describe my mom as a DQ, just the same way she would call me a Hunter Princess.

She is probably the most anal person I know. Her tack box is insanely organized, like that Sunsilk commerical where everything is outlined in black sharpie and the girl puts everything in its place. That would be my mom's box. (you should see her when I go in a mess it up :winkgrin:) She believes in wearing white Woof boots, even though the get dirty the second they get put on. Her polo wrapping skills are impecable. I have never seen such well wrapped polos. Monty is loved and treated like a king. He certainly doesn't get anything unessacary but she does get him monthly massages, legend, and his saddle gets checked 1x every 6 months. She can be a control freak. She loves to do his stall so that everything is just right.

He was imported, out of well bred Irish lines. However he was an event horse that failed so she bought him (cheap), in hopes to do 3rd level. He was 5th at the NEDA year ends at PSG, and next spring shes taking him I1.

I don't think being a DQ or the equivalent in the hunter world of a Hunter Princess is a bad thing. I think of it as some one who has good taste, and appreciates good quailty things. Probably a bit anal and OCD about things, but the horse comes first and its a partenership. :)

GreekDressageQueen
Nov. 22, 2007, 04:01 PM
And here I thought I was the one who was trying to be light hearted. Go figure. I don't believe I know you, Greek Dressage Queen but nice to meet you!!:):):):):):):):) I hope those are enough happy faces!!!!

Nice to meet you! :):):):):):):):):):):)

You can't possibly be the Betty I know - I don't think that old cow can even smile!:D

Aggie4Bar
Nov. 22, 2007, 05:13 PM
Well, not DQ-ness, but the inadvertant injury of a friend's feeling while jokingly poking fun at her excitement is certainly something. (Something worse. :uhoh:)

If she's reading, I apologize. I didn't realize my message would come across as hurtful. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Previous post has been deleted.

Dressage Art
Nov. 22, 2007, 11:03 PM
you can also put me on your ignore list. Quite frankly, nothing would make me happier!:cool:

OK, I'll do that and suggest that you do the same. Happy Thanksgiving!

sm
Nov. 23, 2007, 03:42 PM
To me a DQ is a diva -- but also someone who thinks a horse is a fashion accessory only, someone with no concept or regard for actually caring for a horse.

It's nice to see on this thread some people who call themselves DQs who do work hard around the barn. Someone who has the time to dress impeccably, has expensive tack and a *fancy* horse or two -- and actually knows how to be there for the horse on a daily basis has my admiration.

They would just be horsepeople with money, I could never consider them DQs.

tincbaby21
Nov. 23, 2007, 03:44 PM
to me a DQ is someone whose Nose is stuck so far up in the air they can smell the moon from earth, dress way way to onice for a barn, complain when their horse has any dirt on them what so ever, think they are the best at what they do and look down upon people who are true barn people, just an outright snob, they dont generally ride the best but they always think they look the best

Carol O
Nov. 23, 2007, 10:22 PM
I will suggest that perhaps the DQ title may be passed out a bit too generously by those with green eyes. One who has an imported WB and has advanced quickly to FEI may have plenty of insecurities of her own. Perhaps when she had her nose so high in the air she was not smelling the moon from earth, but she was deeply in thought about how to improve her canter half pass!

dressage_ryder
Nov. 26, 2007, 07:19 PM
Sterotype DQ:

* drives an expensive car that her hubby bought for her
* has a $100 000 fancy schmancy horse that she doesn't know how to ride
* has a barnhand groom, tack up and cool off her fancy schmancy horse so she doesn't get her $400 breeches dirty or break a nail
* mentions the name of every BNT she's heard of as if they were an old friend
* pays someone else to ride her horse 5 times/week and gets on once in a while to show off to another DQ
* doesn't have a CLUE how to muck a stall or which paddock her horse goes out in or how to clean a sheath
* must have perfect blond hair, perfect figure and perfectly matching riding apparel

In reality...i admit to having some DQ attributes.

I CRINGE when i see people riding their nearly lame backyard horse with their baseball cap and their little sister sitting in front of the saddle
I cringe even more when they tell me they are going to breed their nearly lame horse of unknown breeding to the neighbours stallion.
I do hack my horse, but i use a bridle, not a halter, and i don't ride on the road or rocky areas.
I ride in breeches, never shorts, and wear paddock boots, never running shoes.
I have a saddle and bridle that fits my horse. However, it is ONE saddle and one bridle, and i've had the same one for 3 years.
I feel the DQ come out in me when i watch jumpers hauling on their horses mouths, or DQ wannabees yanking their horse's head into a frame....

J-Lu
Nov. 26, 2007, 10:06 PM

Hold your imported horses there, honey. The REAL mark of a DQ is bling on your browband. Do you have bling on your browband? :winkgrin:

Wellspotted
Nov. 27, 2007, 07:29 PM
Check out 4Martini's post on this thread:

http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum/showthread.php?p=2826694&highlight=baring#post2826694

To me, that judge embodies the definitive DQ! :lol:

Renae
Nov. 28, 2007, 09:56 AM
Dressage queens are nasty beyatches who can not ride a horse outside an arena or heaven forbid in a different seat or style and have big mouths always making nasty commnets about everyone else's riding and training, even when they have no clue what they are talking about. Like the nasty pieces of work that go on YouTube and make the rude unsolicited "advice" when people are just trying to share vids of them and their horse with their freinds. Have a nice day :winkgrin:

Wellspotted
Jan. 7, 2008, 06:34 PM
I now know what a DQ is, because I met a real live one over the holidays. So ...

To me, a DQ is a woman who shows up to ride with a friend where the friend boards her horse. The DQ's midsize truck (not a dually diesel) and 3-horse slant-load gooseneck look as if they either live indoors or were just washed for this visit.
The trailer's sole occupant is a majestic warmblood sporting a full clip, and so tall he makes his tall rider look petite. He is wearing the sort of leather halter some horses wear only to shows (recognized ones at that!); the halter sports a brass nameplate with, not the horse's barn or show name, but his barn's name.
The horse moves beautifully under (very pricey) saddle. His name is P------- ("because it had to start with P"). (Excuse me? Who decides what letter a horse's name "has" to start with? The naming nazis? Epona herself, when she touches him with her wand?)
Young boarder at the barn (who herself is a DR [dressage rider, not to be confused with DQs] and calls every horse "pony" as an endearment) says to tall elegant WB, "Hey, pretty pony!" -- at which DQ raises an eyebrow that is far more haughty than her WB and echoes, faintly, "Pony?" Meanwhile WB is enjoying scritches from DR.

So my impression of a DQ is that she is not a "bad" person, or one to be avoided or mocked, but rather one to be pitied, perhaps, and befriended by the rest of us.

canyonoak
Jan. 7, 2008, 07:06 PM
<< His name is P------- ("because it had to start with P"). >>

Pretty Pony starts with P!!!!!!!!
(couldn't resist)

In defense of the DQ, in warmblood breeds, depending on the breed, the foals are named according to first letter of sire's name (so if sire's name starts with P, so do all the foal's name). In other breeds, it can be the year. All Dutch foals born a specific year MUST have names that begin with the letter that corresponds to that year.

Gucci Cowgirl
Jan. 7, 2008, 07:26 PM
I now know what a DQ is, because I met a real live one over the holidays. So ...

To me, a DQ is a woman who shows up to ride with a friend where the friend boards her horse. The DQ's midsize truck (not a dually diesel) and 3-horse slant-load gooseneck look as if they either live indoors or were just washed for this visit.
The trailer's sole occupant is a majestic warmblood sporting a full clip, and so tall he makes his tall rider look petite. He is wearing the sort of leather halter some horses wear only to shows (recognized ones at that!); the halter sports a brass nameplate with, not the horse's barn or show name, but his barn's name.
The horse moves beautifully under (very pricey) saddle. His name is P------- ("because it had to start with P"). (Excuse me? Who decides what letter a horse's name "has" to start with? The naming nazis? Epona herself, when she touches him with her wand?)
Young boarder at the barn (who herself is a DR [dressage rider, not to be confused with DQs] and calls every horse "pony" as an endearment) says to tall elegant WB, "Hey, pretty pony!" -- at which DQ raises an eyebrow that is far more haughty than her WB and echoes, faintly, "Pony?" Meanwhile WB is enjoying scritches from DR.

So my impression of a DQ is that she is not a "bad" person, or one to be avoided or mocked, but rather one to be pitied, perhaps, and befriended by the rest of us.

So let me get this straight...

Someone is labeled a "DQ" because she;

a) trailers out to ride at a friend's barn once in a while
b) keeps her truck and trailer clean and well-maintained
c) owns a tall warmblood
d) has a leather halter with the barn's name on it
e) has a good mover
f) buys good quality tack
g) names her horse according to it's registries' rules
h) doesn't like people calling her horse a pony
i) body clips her horse

personally, I think it is neccessary to trailer out once in a while, imperative to keep your vehicle and trailer in great condition, have a horse who can move well and get the job done, put quality leather halters with the barn's name on it on my horses, especially when in the trailer, just in case something unexpectedly happens (leather breaks, nylon doesnt!!), have the best tack I can afford to help my horse do his job, clip it so it doesnt take so long to cool out and also to prevent it from catching a chill after a workout, and name it appropriately as respect to the registry it is with. How is any of that bad?

Now the pony thing, I don't mind - I call every horse a pony!

Miss Dior
Jan. 7, 2008, 07:35 PM
A DQ is someone who would find this thread/question stupid.

luise
Jan. 7, 2008, 09:22 PM
A few weeks ago some friends and I were riding in our barn's indoor ring. I am a boarder, and the other 2 were riding horses that belong to the barn. Well, this woman trailered in for a dressage lesson. I was working on halting my horse along the rail, backing him up, and was about to canter off when she comes trotting down and yells, "I need the rail!!" What a b*tch! I respect that you're having a lesson, but 1. I board at this barn and you don't, 2. it's not like I'm not schooling my horse as well, and 3. you could have gone around me. That is a DQ!!

el insider
Jan. 7, 2008, 09:30 PM
didnt know that expression existed anymore..... horse show diva dot com

sirena_chaucer
Jan. 7, 2008, 09:46 PM
DQ = Dressage Snob

From an eventer's prospective...the DQ's at our barn are the middle aged woman who bought a ridiculously (in our view point, obviously) expensive horse (which they pay the trainer to ride three days of the week, and they take lessons from said trainer when they actually DO get in the saddle! After lunging it extensively and wrapping each leg w/ pristine white wraps), wears tasteful (as some have said) diamond earrings and uber expensive full seat breeches (fashionable colors, which is WAY beyond my jeans and half chap self to imagine, :lol:), and either custom tack or imported tack.

The DQ also (in my mind) talks a lot about riding/breeds/famous riders but doesn't ride much (or well, though most I've met are average), only knows warmblood breeds and doesn't think any other breed could possibly compete/should compete, and pays an amazing amount of money to send their horses 'off season' with the most famous/prestigious trainer they could possibly afford.

Yep, guess that's what I think of as a DQ. I've met some really cool Dressage riders, so personally I agree with most of the above posters who say its really just that attitude-which can be found in any of the sports-and certainly shouldn't be used for all dressage riders. In fact, I've know some dressage riders that could give any eventers I know (including myself!) :D) a run from our money when it comes to having a pair of ba**s...:yes: Cool folks. :cool:

ETA- no editting, my grammar completely sucks from the first sentence but I'm too tired to fix it. You'd think I'd have learned how to stick with singular/plural...oh well, I'm going to bed! Sorry!

AnsleyGrace
Jan. 7, 2008, 10:04 PM
Complain all you want about DQ's, but they are hilarious to have around. A woman who rides at most of the shows I go to has been riding (and winning) at Intro for like 3 or 4 years on a 20-something horse that is graciously still going for her. She rides in a TOP HAT AT INTRO at a schooling show. Why?

She's pretty funny though, when I started showing my horse she was standing next to the gate as I walked out and laughed a little and asked me what kind of horse I had (TBxLipizzanxTWH). I told her a "North GA Warmblood of course" and she was very confused. She cracks us all up. Posting down centerline in her hat! :)

sirena_chaucer
Jan. 7, 2008, 10:15 PM
http://www.joyceimages.com/images/Victoria%20Horse.JPG

So, I'm guessing that is Mr. Brown there holding the horse? ;) Anybody else see that movie? :lol:

By the way, that is some coat on her pony. Loff to see gleaming horses, :yes: regardless of the discipline or competition level...or art work.

Equa
Jan. 7, 2008, 11:20 PM
The only REAL DQ I have known, and who fulfills ALL the criteria described in this thread.....was a boy!

AnsleyGrace
Jan. 7, 2008, 11:41 PM
The only REAL DQ I have known, and who fulfills ALL the criteria described in this thread.....was a boy!

we have one of those. Wow, I hadn't thought of it like that, but that's him!

http://a340.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/17/l_8e267900e7dc1c45900e31febefc8d93.jpg

Haha, took this at a horse show.

http://a786.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/97/l_103bdcc51d5f7276cf0f41c2aaf1cce1.jpg

Kyrie
Jan. 8, 2008, 03:54 AM
This thread is classic! I haven't snort-laughed as much in a long time!! *thumbsup*

My friend and I jokingly say that 'dressage ruins a horse' but religiously school dressage even though we don't compete in it. I used to show dressage year in, year out, but have moved on from that - can't be bothered with the politics of it. However, it doesn't matter which discipline I compete in, my horses all get schooled in dressage on a regular basis - when all said and done 'dressage' is french for training. One has to walk before they can run! I'm all for a balanced, soft ride.

As for what is a DQ? Someone who pays money hand over fist but doesn't actually do anything - they're in it for the kudos, but without appreciating the effort involved; treating their horse like a machine that must win at all costs, without appreciating the relationship one has with a horse.

GoingForBronze
Jan. 9, 2008, 04:37 PM
So a person that has good taste, finds great deals on (expensive type) cars, enjoys a visit to the salon to prevent appearing like BROOMHILDA, wears those blingy items that people insist on giving them for good luck, and change their dirty, stinky, sweaty breeches for clean clothes, spends a ludacrious amount of time studying correct dressage and has their nails done because most days that's the only thing that looks nice on them due to spending so much time at the barn....is a DRESSAGE QUEEN? Well what the hell is wrong with that?:rolleyes::rolleyes: Are the people who find DQ to be a negative thing wannabe's????????:lol::lol:

GoingForBronze
Jan. 9, 2008, 04:42 PM
What's with the D Snaffle? Never seen one of those used at a dressage show.

LoveMyTB
Jan. 9, 2008, 04:46 PM

That can actually stay on the horse unlike Paris.

Ibex
Jan. 9, 2008, 04:51 PM
DQ: Anyone who finds this thread offensive... :lol:

Carol O
Jan. 9, 2008, 10:54 PM
No bling browband yet, J. I cannot yet do the bling thing. Reminds me too much of western pleasure. Never could do that either. No bling, no DQ?

Carol O
Jan. 18, 2009, 07:46 PM
Excuse me while I push and shove this to the front again. I need it for research...

In the name of science I will push "submit reply" now....

twofatponies
Jan. 18, 2009, 07:59 PM
This is hilarious.

I know plenty of DQs, and a few people who fit 90% of the characteristics but are really sincere, nice people, too.

Anyway, a few years ago a woman I knew from a dressage barn I used to board at invited me to come see the new dressage barn she'd moved to. It was nearly an hour away, in a very expensive area, and had every amenity. Run by a European trainer and all. Flower beds and landscaping... It was a Saturday afternoon and we peeked in the indoor (after calling "door" of course!) to see what was going on. I'll never forget the sight!

There were nearly a dozen DQs in that indoor, each with a bigger, fancier, shinier WB than the next, all practicing trot extensions and flying changes, which filled the air with the din of ladies shouting "track!!!!" and "diagonal!!!" as they charged around.

Sanely Eccentric
Jan. 18, 2009, 10:42 PM
......The Dressage Queen was out for dinner with her husband one night at, of course, a very fancy trendy restaurant. While they were sitting there a very beautiful young lady walked up to their table, said hello to the husband, leaned over to kiss him and said "I'll see you later," then turned and left.

"Mistress??!!" snapped the DQ. Then the rage began. "Mistress? I'm not putting up with that! That will be the end of our marriage! I want a divorce!"

"Is that so?" replied the husband calmly. "Then that will mean the end of the buying trips to Europe, the Big Name Trainer, the grooms, the clinics, the shows, the big dually truck and the living quarters trailer."

Then she saw Harry, their neighbor, walk into the room with a beautiful young lady on 'his' arm.

:lol::lol::eek::lol::lol:

I shared with this my hubby and he's asking if he gets a mistress now. :lol: Of course I don't have a dually, trailer, or a horse from Europe so I told him no. :lol:

merrygoround
Jan. 19, 2009, 12:49 PM

Ah Yes! But do they ride well? :D

Carrera
Jan. 19, 2009, 02:05 PM
Its a state of mind, and (unless you are whining non-DQ) completely tongue in cheek. We are sisterhood that is allowed to be fussy about the conditions we are to ride our horses in. If you are a DQ you can be anal about their care, turnout, supplements, saddle fit, training, and especially FOOTING i.e. it gives you license to practice good Horsmanship regardless of how much you paid for your steed and how co-ordinated your gear is. As a DQ you are expected to expect only the best and not settle for less. You generally put your horse and the related expenses above your own comfort. Join us, your horse will thank you for it!

I agree!!!

I am currently transitioning from Hunter Princess to Dressage Queen and I am loving it!

Carnelian
Jan. 19, 2009, 03:05 PM
I'm DQ because...
*I don't want my hair poking out of my helmet EVEN when schooling at home
*I think riders should always have their shirts tucked in (even at home)
*I want my tack clean every time I ride
*I never want my horse's bridle path to look like a mohawk
*I have a fancy horse

I'm NOT DQ because...
*I clean my tack MYSELF every day
*I clip my own horse (and not just before show--see mohawk above)
*I braid my own horse at shows (plus 3-5 others)
*I learned Spanish to communicate with the barn staff
*I don't freak out if my coach can't school me at shows because of time conflicts
*I have (had) to put all the training in my fancy horse MYSELF
*What's a groom?

I jokingly call myself DQ because I gave up eventing to concentrate on dressage. I think it's healthy for us all to have just a little DQ in us :winkgrin:

goeslikestink
Jan. 19, 2009, 03:43 PM
Just what defines a DQ?

someone that gives it all the gob but dont know jack sh--t

can be verbal written or other wise

twofatponies
Jan. 19, 2009, 03:51 PM
Ah, I forgot about the obsession with footing. Yes, I know it is an important thing, but when I first got back into horses I spent most of my time at dressage barns, and footing was the main topic of conversation, after blingy browbands. I was absolutely shocked the first time I saw a working cow horse out west being ridden in a "ring" that consisted of a relatively flat area with no large boulders in it. No one was out there raking, picking, poking, watering... all the horses were sound as bells (or else the ones who couldn't handle the "footing" had been tossed to the coyotes!).

Filly85'
Jan. 19, 2009, 03:55 PM
My dressage queen qualities...

*I have a georgeous imported from Europe custom made dressage bridle with bling on the browband.
*My horses get any supplement that they need and the vet is called immediately if something goes wrong (no matter how big or small).
*I am a fashion freak when I am in the show ring. (I haven't started showing dressage yet, but as far as hunters go, I have everything that is in). I am extremely competitive, and every little thing helps in my mind.
*I have two different saddles: one for showing and one for schooling.
*Well three, if you count the western saddle that I start young horses in.
*When schooling at a show, my horse has to have his fly veil on, white polo wraps or open front jumping boots and his bell boots on, and all of his fancy show tack on (I like to impress the judge even when schooling and show stop).
*I do use a groom, but only at one day shows. The reason that I pay a groom at one day shows is because my horse will not tie to a trailer and is really hard to handle. We either have to put him back in the trailer or have someone hold him. When he was young, a plastic bag flew out from under the trailer right underneathe his legs. He has not been able to tie to a trailer since then. He will freak out and pull back on it. If there are stalls available at the grounds, I will not bring a groom.
*Even though my horse is barefoot now, I buy nice shoes to put on him when I am showing him. They are gel-padded comfort shoes with a light plate.
*The footing in the ring must be good. No rocks...not too deep. That kind of thing, but only because I don't want my horse to get a stone bruise or pull something.
*I do have a bf who just bought me a new horse.
*I do drive a nice sportscar.

Filly85'
Jan. 19, 2009, 04:12 PM
Why I'm not actually a dressage queen...

*I don't get my panties in a bunch and complain when the ride times are 5 minutes off schedule.
*I don't sneer when I hear someone calling every horse they ride a mule.
*I don't talk bad about other people unless they are doing something stupid and dangerous and then I go tell them to their face to quit putting themselves and their horses in danger.
*I don't think that the only breed that is competitive in dressage is a WB (I ride a grey Quarter Horse).
*I don't think that just because a horse is imported from Europe that he is better than the American horses.
*I wash, braid, trim, and always tack up my own horse.
*I am the only one that rides my horse. The only time my trainer ever gets on my horse is if I am too injured to ride.
*I always clean my own tack.
*I don't have to have a groom at every show.
*I don't have to wear gobs of makeup in the show ring.
*I don't sneer at beginning level dressage riders (I am one).
*The more that I learn, the more I realize that I don't know anything!
*I won't say that a non-WB can't do dressage.
*I won't tell someone who has a nice lower level dressage horse that he isn't suitable for "real" dressage.
*I won't sneer at those that may not be able to afford the tack, equipment, and horses that I have. I can't afford to buy really expensive horses like some people anyway.
*I won't kick anyone out of the ring that I am riding in.
*My tack box is extremely unorganzied.
*I'm not afraid to get bucked off every once in awhile.

Basically, to me, a dressage queen is not a very nice person. They are snobby, stuck up, and rude. They also tend to be jealous and have a lot of insecuries, which makes them unpleasant to be around. They think that they know everything.

Just because you have to have all of the latest equipment, a fancy horse, and ride well does not mean that you are a true dressage queen.

Equibrit
Jan. 19, 2009, 06:59 PM
A DQ sends out for EVERYTHING.

Right on Target
Jan. 20, 2009, 10:09 AM
This is a funny post. :)

It reminds me of those times when I'm driving my car and regardless of the speed I choose to travel, the people going slower than me are "D*#@ Slowpokes!" and the people going faster are "F*#%$@# Maniacs!". It is just a matter of my own frame of mind.

I wonder if part of the DQ definition is the same? The person who looks shoddier than me would be a redneck hillbilly, while the person who takes more care with appearances would be a DQ?

Anyway, I think the definitions are hilarious and the only thing that bothers me is when people are snobs (DQ!). Not everyone has the same pocketbook, desires, fashion sense, or ability, but everyone should be capable of being polite.

simon63
Jan. 20, 2009, 06:46 PM
I got the horse, got the tack, lost weight, got the clothes... It didn't work! Is there some DQ spell I must repeat three times???

TB_lover
Jan. 20, 2009, 06:48 PM
Well all I know is that I'm NOT a DQ... even my friends admit that lol! :D

I keep my horses at home, free run in-out 24/7, and I own a (gasp horrors) STOCK trailer! I never use polos (have one pair of really grotty ones I should wash someday). I only wear my white breeches for shows. I have a knockoff dressage coat and rubber dressage boots (which I find very practical - when it rains your feet don't get wet at shows!). I don't like full-seats - too sticky.

But, I have expensive tastes... nice saddle (that I got an awesome deal on used) and nice horses to ride (two I train for friends, one I own, one I bred so he's my future GP horse).

I think my attitude is severely lacking some key DQ elements... :(

Areyoukiddingme?
Jan. 20, 2009, 07:25 PM
Seriously..who wouldn't want to be a real DQ? To me DQ's have the life..perfect clothes, perfect warmblood, perfectly expensive tack, perfect footing, perfect BNT...oooh and a climate controled arena..it's about a zillion degrees below zero here now so that would be a biggy in my books. In my mind I will forever be a DQ, but in reality, sadly, only a DQWANNABE. For now I will work my butt off on my 4 year old warmblood, he is so far from perfect...but oh so handsome...I ride at a multi discipline facility with decent footing and the arena is oh so very cold right now. But ...dream the impossible dream...I wannabe a real DQ someday!!

simon63
Jan. 20, 2009, 07:52 PM
I am a Dressage geek, yes, nose in technical book, not in dressage catalog... Oh, what's wrong with me... can't spend $$ on clothes, need it for more lessons & books- so what if I look like a "dressage shopping cart lady" so long as I get it right, right, right?? Geeks rule!!:p

camohn
Jan. 20, 2009, 08:44 PM
I agree it is mostly tongue and cheek about a certian 'tude...examples of what I consider DQ moments from folks I have ridden with:
-Going to a show and The DQ announces she is here with So And So (the BNT)....and usually with the BNTs first name only. *I* am here with Robert......implying that if you are not (and you are obviously NOT) then you are worm poop......
-Lesson with clincian X who looks down their nose at you an comments that you missed a spot of dirt on your horse and either says or implies that by failing to arrive with acceptable turnout you have insulted them personally. (Does not matter that you cut out of work at your real job early to catch the beast, clean the up to the eyeballs in mud critter as fast as humanly possible, get it on a trailer and skid into your weekday afternoon lesson.....no points for effort there.....having missed a spot of dirt you are an insult to the sport.........). Can ya tell that instructor did NOT last long (ha ha ha).
-Lady X is whining she can't get her riding gloves on over her big honking rock of an engagement ring (sorry.........wish I had YOUR problems!)
-Lady Y comes to your farm and sniffs that your riding ring is not perfectly levelly graded/the footing does not have enough sand and how could you POSSIBLY ride in that.....I really should have the head of the person that did that grading job............she would not expect HER horse to work on something like that. (She boards at Very Expensive Dressage Barn......so they durn well better have The Best footing.....but this is my backyard with what I can afford.....sorry toots.........). Same person also insulted the common breeding of my horse since hers had a zero more on the tag and was imported from Germany. This tale DOES have a good ending though. We go to a show. She goes expecting to win and I go expecting to school my horse away from home being young/kinda green and have no expectations. Weeell.....it is a benefit charity show. The Queen's beast slips on the imperfect footing and then starts bucking. Common Boy tools around just fine, behaves like a champ and much to my surprise and her ire we come come with the blue ribbon!

Carol O
Nov. 24, 2009, 01:30 PM
Found it!

goeslikestink
Nov. 24, 2009, 06:21 PM
Just what defines a DQ?

as in dressage or drama- lol

Carol O
Nov. 24, 2009, 06:46 PM
as in dressage or drama- lol

There is a difference?

Eklecktika
Dec. 2, 2010, 06:48 PM
I just choked back on the swig of wine in my mouth vs you'all who spew on the keyboard.
(Just got back from a road trip and need my go-to-sleep medicinal).

and for Lisathenag here's your joke!

The Dressage Queen was out for dinner with her husband one night at, of course, a very fancy trendy restaurant. While they were sitting there a very beautiful young lady walked up to their table, said hello to the husband, leaned over to kiss him and said "I'll see you later," then turned and left.

you put it on your license plate.

:winkgrin: Initials and then DQ. Someone at my barn has that and it's pretty funny :lol: (Someone once asked if she imported her mare and she said in her perfect British accent: Yes, from Oregon! (since then the mare is referred to as the Oregon Warmblood.)

:lol::lol::eek::lol::lol:

I shared with this my hubby and he's asking if he gets a mistress now. :lol: Of course I don't have a dually, trailer, or a horse from Europe so I told him no. :lol:
ROFL at ALL of this!

Oregon Warmblood...indeed! :D

I'm loving the entire thread...so much truth wound in with so much humor and self deprecation...:cool:

dressagenoir
Dec. 3, 2010, 07:54 PM
See the "Tacky Dressage" Thread. All those people passing judgement of plastic tack trunks, synthetic saddles, or any other superficialities are DQ's

TXnGA
Dec. 3, 2010, 08:17 PM
In my opinion a DQ is a person who has to have all the nice stuff: tack, gear, etc and the most expensive (or expensive looking) clothes and boots to wear to the barn and don't even ride the horse-- it always made me laugh.

I was an assistant trainer at a big barn for awhile and these ladies who spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on the huge, dressge horses from Europe and couldn't even ride the thing, even at the walk. They would show up as if the were gonig to walk the Cavallo catwalk, complete with Konigs to sit and watch the trainer ride. Not to mention didn't touch the horse to tack up/ groom or cool out/ untack.

Oh, lets not forget that the maid is the one who cleaned all the horse's laundry and even ironed the polo wraps, bandages and saddle pads. HAHAHAHAHA.

There was another lady who had the biggist saint of a horse. Everytime he would get a little jump in his canter (no buck, crowhop or anything) she would panic, jump off her horse and say he was trying to buck her off and hand the reins to one of us to hop on. Granted the horse looked great with matching everything and the lady could not get over the idea that her horse was trying to hurt her....

At this same place there was a HUGE outdoor arena with perfect footing. It was rarely used except by me with the babies, "bad' horses, and my event horses... The DQ's stayed in the temp controlled indoor. :lol::lol:

That is a DQ.

I for one am all about being clean (and it is all relative when dealing with horses), neat, tidy and yes, somewhat matching. I like to have my shirt tucked in, my hair tucked neatly in the helmt or in a bun sans helmet. I also like my horse to be well turned out, whether its at a show or hacking out on the back roads of Aiken. But that is me, and I'm definitely not a DQ.

piaffequeen
Dec. 3, 2010, 08:20 PM
[QUOTE=enjoytheride;2811979]Complains to her trainer when someone else wants to ride with her in the 200 X 300 foot arena in a public facility. Had this happen to me, the DQ asked me to leave the arena until she was done.

Had that happen to me too and I told them NOPE!!!!
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

sadlmakr
Dec. 3, 2010, 09:24 PM
Dressage Queen / Diva is a state of mind.
I have met some that had I been younger I would have given them a good slap to wake them up.
I agree that most of them can't even ride the horses they paid so much for.
I actually feel sorry for them. Money can't buy what they are looking for.
If they have to treat others so badly they have something askew in their own life.
I refuse to take the abuse they try to dish out.
I admit this has been a humorous thread to read. Unfortunately it is all too true.
JMHO,
sadlmakr

Equibrit
Dec. 4, 2010, 09:53 AM
This all looks REALLY GREEN.

Blue Domino
Dec. 5, 2010, 10:38 AM
DQ's ride around in draw reins, smug in the knowledge that they are the only ones riding in the arena with their horse in a 'proper frame'.

Tight arsed, tight fisted, and up-tight!

Carol O
Dec. 5, 2010, 06:38 PM
See the "Tacky Dressage" Thread. All those people passing judgement of plastic tack trunks, synthetic saddles, or any other superficialities are DQ's

Amen.

AnotherRound
Dec. 5, 2010, 07:11 PM

This has been my understanding of the term. That its a derogartory term used by people who aren't.that.

But, I aspire to showing my especially nice horse, and saving up for nice tack, and buying especially good show clothes and enjoying my hard won nice income and using on my horse. The nice figure I have had all my life, until the past 5 years. However, with my riding and yoga, I'm getting that back.

But its all not a desire because of wanting to portray a social status thing. Its just that I want to do those things, and the final presentation at the show will reflect the care and concern and work I put into my horse and person.

I don't aspire to the title of DQ. However, what makes a DQ may well be those qualities I think my work and efforts should reflect, in quality equipment and dress as well as in the high end performance me and my horse can achieve through hard work.

AnotherRound
Dec. 5, 2010, 07:30 PM
In my opinion a DQ is a person who has to have all the nice stuff: tack, gear, etc and the most expensive (or expensive looking) clothes and boots to wear to the barn and don't even ride the horse-- it always made me laugh.

This reminds me of a woman at my barn. She has two dutch warmbloods, one of which she imported herself, the other of which is an americal half brother of the first, which she had her eye on, and waited for two years for the owner to realize she wouldn't get the asking price, and so bought the horse for only a few thousand, because the owner didn't know how to handle the horse. She is some kind of an investment banker working from home, she has a saddle maker make saddles for each horse as it comes to her, and a stack of heavy, definatlely not plastic, locked tack trunks stacked up for each horse. She buys blankets in series for her horses; stable sheet, mid weight, heavy weight, neck warmer, and fleece cooler and half cooler all in the same pattern (which they sytematically destry, and for which she berates them, but not in front of them). She shows and trailers her horses out to clinics around the region with BNTs, trailers out to supplement our trainer's lessons with those from antoher trainer for say 4 weeks at a time to learn more if needed. She has a Slaab and also a Ford dually of somekind, I keep thinking its a 350.

If I was a mind, she is pretty much the closest thing I have ever had of a DQ in the same barn with me.

However, she works at the barn 30 hours a week to reduce the board on her two horses. I heard her negotiating the price of the new saddle with the saddle maker, and arranging a payment plan. She can't get to the barn to ride until late at night, because she is working late herself. When I ride with her, she and I alone in the indoor, her 5yo Dutch is going better every single time, and they surpass me and my Oldenburg nightly with his way of going. She rides frequently without stirrups. She works hard on her own with this new horse, and works him from the ground, over cavelettie (which she built herself, watched her build them) and over jumps for gymnasitcs. But when we school together, she thinks of something encouraging to say to me, even though I struggle, having never ridden dressage before. She asks about my (250.00 consignment Passier) saddle and how it is fitting my horse, now that he has gained weight and muscle. She offers suggestions to oil it, and what product to use. She hoots when we stride across a diagonal in an extended trot in grand form, saying he is looking fantastic. The other day, I struck up a canter, for the first time, and began to work on our canter departs, and she stopped and watched, and her comment was kind- he looks like he has a really comfortable canter!

She pulled apart all the pipe panel paddocks and re-configured them so that the paddocks had better drainage and all had good gates. She brought a pipe panel gate from her house and put into my gelding's paddock. When she was moving the pipe panels, she picked them up on her back and walked them down the hill to the other location. I said I would help, and couldn't carry it more than a few steps, and that's saying something, I have a really strong back. She moved her horses from the main barn up to the old, middle barn (only used for hay storage) and rebuilt two stalls (at her own expense) to keep her horses up there, and voluteered this to our trainer, instead of remaining down in the main barn, because, as she put it, if she's going to get discounted board, she shouldn't hog the nice stalls which our trainer might get top dollar for.

In appearance and in possessions and in purchasing power and in performance, she IS a DQ. But she is a thoughtful and considerate person, and is not disillusioned about what it takes to keep herself and horses in the style to which they would like to remain accustomed. She works hard for her money, and works hard to keep her horses well. She goes out of her way to be friendly and to interact and be encouraging with others who might not be working or performing at her level.

Not a bad DQ model to aspire to.

Just my 2cents worth.

*Lovelife*
Dec. 5, 2010, 11:32 PM
Another round- that was the best response to this thread that I have read!!

spirithorse
Dec. 5, 2010, 11:43 PM
AnotherRound:

The Lady at your barn is no DQ, she is the picture of a humble and gracious "Lady" of whom any Dressage Queen should be honored to emmulate.

jonahmerchant12
Dec. 6, 2010, 04:55 AM
I learned something new today :winkgrin:

red mares
Dec. 6, 2010, 08:52 AM
DQ = Dressage Snob

This is closer to what it means in the boarder barn circles I travel. The mediocre rider with the mediocre, though usually highly priced, horse who is better than the rest of us mere mortals because she rides "dressage". In reality what she's doing is more English Pleasure than dressage.

Totally derogatory.

amm2cd
Dec. 7, 2010, 01:14 PM
Well, I know how other people see Dressage Queens, but now I feel the need to fess up to my peers. I, amm2cd, am a DQ. Sure, I could be worse, but I think I fit most of the catergories...

[X] Have a warmblood school master
[X] Have a green German Pony (oh so fashionable at the moment:yes:)
[X] Can spot any lameness or NQR from 200 feet (those hours of watching videos and lessons have made me uber picky!)
[X] Have used "Uber" in a sentence (Darn it!:lol:)
[X] Have a saddle and bridle for each and every horse (semi custom at that)
[X] Cringe when horses are not ridden over their topline :no:
[X] Have the truck and three horse trailer
[X] Use polo wraps, bell boots, or Woof boots. And each horse has their 'own' pair (ity bity pony legs are very very different from big ol Dutch legs)
[X] have and school in custom tall boots without zippers (thats cheating!)
[X] Have leather halters. With name plates.
[ ] Talk about others behind their backs (I try not to, but who doesnt like some good dressage gossip?)
[ ] Wear beautiful pristine clothing and full seat breeches with leather that feels like butter.... I can keep dreaming
[ ] Board at a BNT's barn.
[X] Clinic with trainers that fly in

So, just to be clear on everything, since I seem equally tacky and DQ-y.... that makes me mostly tolerable for the general public, right? :D

ginger708
Dec. 7, 2010, 02:28 PM
Well, I know how other people see Dressage Queens, but now I feel the need to fess up to my peers. I, amm2cd, am a DQ. Sure, I could be worse, but I think I fit most of the catergories...

[X] Can spot any lameness or NQR from 200 feet (those hours of watching videos and lessons have made me uber picky!)
[X] Use polo wraps, bell boots, or Woof boots. And each horse has their 'own' pair (ity bity pony legs are very very different from big ol Dutch legs)
[ ] Talk about others behind their backs (I try not to, but who doesnt like some good dressage gossip?)
[ ] Wear beautiful pristine clothing and full seat breeches with leather that feels like butter.... I can keep dreaming

So, just to be clear on everything, since I seem equally tacky and DQ-y.... that makes me mostly tolerable for the general public, right? :D

You would always be welcome in my barn. It's girls like us and the woman that AnotherRound described that are taking the term Dressage Queen back. I personally like the term I work hard to get what I want and I think I deserve to think of my self as a Queen. Just like the best drag queens I have come from humble beginnings and I have worked hard for my horse and I to be fabulous.

To all the rail birds that think if a girl has a good looking warmblood that moves in a nice frame or if we are picky about a horse's way of going. That we are a snob screw-em. I improve as fast as I do, like the other girls mentioned here in my ilk,because we go to the barn ride our asses off We search out the best instruction that we can afford and we get the best tool for the job that we can afford.

Really all women riders that work hard and enjoy every triumph no matter how small, go out and be a Dressage Queen. After all queens are known for elegance, grace, leadership and confidence.

amm2cd
Dec. 7, 2010, 03:56 PM
You would always be welcome in my barn. It's girls like us and the woman that AnotherRound described that are taking the term Dressage Queen back.

Glad to know I'd be welcomed, dirty breeches, DQ tendencies and all... :D

Personally, I vote we villify the term "railbird" as opposed to Dressage Queen. Being picky about how you do something yourself is perfectly fine by me. Being picky about how others are doing something (even if they are trying their hardest) is just not cool, no matter what discipline you are...:no:

Thoroughbred1201
Dec. 7, 2010, 06:51 PM
Read the OP in the thread 'Jump Junk in Arena'. That person is the ultimate dressage queen. It isn't the sentiment, it's the attitude.

Petstorejunkie
Dec. 7, 2010, 07:59 PM
Based on the check off list I'm a DQ. In addition to the list I qualify because
~I don't have the big fancy warmblood but he does have 5 saddles that are maintained by a saddler on site
~sheepskin for all 5 saddles
~I heckle worse over bad riding than those dudes from the muppet show, thankfully the local dressage doesn't bring out my dark side. Local hunter? oh you better watch out!
~I have color coordinated outfits that extend from my wardrobe to my horse's
~My horse wears the same brand of shoes as Steffen Peter's Ravel, but I apply them myself
~I bought a truck and trailer based on what my horse and dog like, and of course the truck is fully loaded. (you need leather... right?)
~The local high end tack store greets me by first name
I'm sure there's more

I translate DQ to mean passionate with the finances to fulfill personal dreams.
Dressage Divas are a whole different category, usually combining all the elements of a DQ with a theatrical grandeur and commands attention at every opportunity.

Beentheredonethat
Dec. 7, 2010, 10:24 PM
Read the OP in the thread 'Jump Junk in Arena'. That person is the ultimate dressage queen. It isn't the sentiment, it's the attitude.

Ditto. DQ with all of the bad implications.

lorilu
Dec. 8, 2010, 10:15 AM
Well, I have come across at least one or two here in Ocala.

Dresses the part with expensive togs and custom saddlery, boards at a very expensive barn (but isn't ready to ride with the resident trainer), knows the terminology and tosses names, but older horse is NEVER ready to show (not even w/t, never mind c), can't recognize poor training but says the horse has such a nice frame, joins every conversation possible and has an opinion......

While I appreciate the desire to claim the title back to a positive one, I think the phrase will always be negative. You don't need bling or custom saddles or $300 breeches to be a quality dressage rider.....

L

Velvet
Dec. 8, 2010, 10:29 AM
Did anyone yet add "complaining about jumps in your indoor arena when you're boarding at a jumping facility"? If not, then I would like to add that. :lol: (Even though it's feeding a troll/garage gnome.)

suzy
Dec. 8, 2010, 10:54 AM
I could tell you, but then I would have to talk to you,
and(sniff) that is not going to happen.

That's why Suzy hasn't posted to this thread. double sniff. In fact, I am her third assistant to her second assistant groom posting on her behalf. She's busy having Harry Winston design new diamond studs for her.

suzy
Dec. 8, 2010, 11:06 AM
Did anyone yet add "complaining about jumps in your indoor arena when you're boarding at a jumping facility"? If not, then I would like to add that. :lol: (Even though it's feeding a troll/garage gnome.)

About 10 years ago, someone won a law suit in NH because they were badly injured when they fell into a jump while doing flat work. For that reason alone, the jumper barn where Suzy used to board wouldn't let anyone ride in the ring when jumps were up unless they were taking a jumping lesson. :/

Edited to say: posted by Suzy's primary chauffeur's second assistant who has nothing better to do while waiting for the Maybach to be detailed.

nhwr
Dec. 8, 2010, 11:07 AM
Being into riding prevention. You what that is -

I can't ride because
*the footing isn't perfect
*my saddle needs refitting
*I don't have a custom pad
*my bit isn't legal
*the feng shui of the arena is not right

I can't ride because my horse is
*overdue for his acupunture,
*needing his bit seat repositioned
*subtly lame, even the vet can't see it
*sore from his massage

Though the excuses are many, the result is the same.

suzy
Dec. 8, 2010, 11:14 AM
Come and listen to a story about a girl named Deb
A hopeful DQ barely kept her ego fed
Then one day she was bidding on a horse
Spending Daddy's money without remorse

Millions that is, green backs, not pesos

Well the first thing you know li'l Deb's a dressage star
Everyone said Deb move away from there
Said Wellington [Farms] is the place you ought to be
So she loaded up the van and moved to Wellington

Farms, that is
Wading pools, dressage stars

Well now it's time to say good-bye to Deb and all her bling.
And she would like to thank you folks fer kindly groveling.
You're all invited back again to this sanctuary
To view a heapin helpin of self idolatry

Wellington that is. Set a spell. Display your Koenigs. Y'all come back now, y'hear?

Velvet
Dec. 8, 2010, 11:51 AM
:lol: :lol:

You can tell suzy is already going stir crazy this winter. :eek:

:lol: Can't wait for her next installment! Oh, wait, her chauffer's next installment. :D

pony grandma
Dec. 8, 2010, 11:56 AM
Now THAT'S funny! standing ovation ... applause, applause. Can't get that catchy tune out of my head now! :lol:

Miss J
Dec. 8, 2010, 01:15 PM

I dont care how DQ'y or tacky you sem or call yourself, I'm jealous!!!!!!!!

amm2cd
Dec. 8, 2010, 01:24 PM
I dont care how DQ'y or tacky you sem or call yourself, I'm jealous!!!!!!!!

:lol: Oh do go on.... *blushes*

If you come out and help repair the fence that Mr Wonderful Schoolmaster Himself decided to tear down, I might even share! :D

Oberon13
Dec. 8, 2010, 02:22 PM
DQ with all the bad implications is completely in the attitude...not outward appearance. That said, I'm in the group that wants to take back "DQ" and make it more about folks who just happen to really care...about their horses, about the way they ride, about the way they present themselves, about the way they treat others.

AnotherRound, the woman you described sounds like a wonderful person and friend! Those of us who have trained and managed barns would welcome a barn full of folks like you and her!

netg
Dec. 8, 2010, 04:09 PM
I translate DQ to mean passionate with the finances to fulfill personal dreams.
Dressage Divas are a whole different category, usually combining all the elements of a DQ with a theatrical grandeur and commands attention at every opportunity.

My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be. My instructor and clinicians alike enjoy laughing at him and his drama queen personality.

I don't have to complain about footing, for example. He hits a deep spot? Bucks. Hits a slippery spot? Invents his own aerial movements. Someone gets too close? Talk about quick hind legs!

But he also has a work ethic which makes him refuse to let go of the bit if I haven't ridden him hard enough in his opinion. You see, he is meant to be a STAR, and I am letting him down if I keep things like trying not to make him sore from overworking newly developing muscles. Pain is nothing, and he will give his all if I just stop resting him to let muscles recover. Makes the drama SO worth it!

Blue Domino
Dec. 9, 2010, 10:54 PM
They're the most likely to have complained to forum moderators frequently. And they're the most likely to want to let you know that they are going to run and complain to a forum moderator.:lol:

Sort of like a DQ thinks they should have a 200'x 300' public arena all to themselves and ask the BO to clear the arena for them, they also would
like the forum cleared for exclusively their point of view on any subject
matter.

alibi_18
Dec. 9, 2010, 11:41 PM
They're the most likely to have complained to forum moderators frequently. And they're the most likely to want to let you know that they are going to run and complain to a forum moderator.:lol:

Sort of like a DQ thinks they should have a 200'x 300' public arena all to themselves and ask the BO to clear the arena for them, they also would
like the forum cleared for exclusively their point of view on any subject
matter.

It reminds me of someone....can't figure who? :confused:

Blue Domino
Dec. 10, 2010, 12:55 AM
It reminds me of someone....can't figure who? :confused:

Gee, I can think of several, this is after all, the DQ forum:lol:

JustABay
Dec. 10, 2010, 09:31 AM
My experience with the DQ-Tree scraping against the arena spooks her horse. Next day, tree has mysteriously been cut down. :lol: