PDA

View Full Version : Immediate Press Release From Florida Horse Park

canterlope
Nov. 17, 2007, 04:45 PM
IMMEDIATE PRESS RELEASE -- November 17th, 2007 @3:27PM. The United States Equestrian Federation and the Florida Horse Park regret to report that Eleanor Brennan died as a result of injuries sustained in a fall on cross-country at the Florida International 3-Day Event and Ocala Fall Horse Trials in Ocala, Florida. Her horse, Mister Barnabus, was also fatally injured. The United Stated Equestrian Federation and the Florida Horse Park wish to extend their deepest condolenses to Ms. Brennan's family and friends.

Blugal
Nov. 17, 2007, 04:48 PM
I am so sorry to hear this. Condolences to her family & friends.

buschkn
Nov. 17, 2007, 04:51 PM
OMG That is terrible! I never met her but just left her a message about a job. Oh devastating news, I am so sorry to hear it. So very sorry. Jingles to all who knew and loved her, it sounds like she lived a full life.

3dazey
Nov. 17, 2007, 05:05 PM
Oh no. I absolutely cannot believe this.:(

allisontatman
Nov. 17, 2007, 05:36 PM
That is very sad news :(

Anyone know how/what happened??

Eventrgrl
Nov. 17, 2007, 05:42 PM
how absolutely horrible :no:

Lori T
Nov. 17, 2007, 06:19 PM
A friend of mine called me with the news and left me a voice mail. I am just sick over this. My deepest condolences to the family.

Platinum Equestrian
Nov. 17, 2007, 06:22 PM
Does anyone know what happened? I can't believe it took both her life and her horse's. Her family and friends are in my prayers.

maxxtrot
Nov. 17, 2007, 06:48 PM
hi all. yes very bad deal today. seems the horse just never picked up his feet at the second to last fence on the 2 star course. big table, 2 from home. he chested it and they had a rotational fall. the horse looked to have maybe broken his neck and he did fall onto her. my thoughts and prayers are for her family and friends.:(

Denali
Nov. 17, 2007, 06:52 PM
hi all. yes very bad deal today. seems the horse just never picked up his feet at the second to last fence on the 2 star course. big table, 2 from home. he chested it and they had a rotational fall. the horse looked to have maybe broken his neck and he did fall onto her. my thoughts and prayers are for her family and friends.:(

Exactly what I heard. A friend saw it happen and said the horse just never picked his feet up, even though he looked ready to jump it right in stride. Maxed out table 2 from the finish.

Horrible tragedy, my deepest condolences to friends and family. :(

kcrubin
Nov. 17, 2007, 06:55 PM
Just awful!

Condolences to those close to her and her horse. Also those at the horse park.

deltawave
Nov. 17, 2007, 07:00 PM
Lord, how awful. I wonder if he ruptured an aorta and COULDN'T jump. Very, very sad. :no:

JER
Nov. 17, 2007, 07:06 PM
How utterly tragic.

Local Fox News report (http://http://www.myfoxorlando.com/myfox/pages/News/Detail?contentId=4964863&version=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.2.1) -- sounds like they suspect something went wrong in the horse just prior to the jump.

Condolences to all.

Classic Melody
Nov. 17, 2007, 07:12 PM
Very sad news. :(

NeverTime
Nov. 17, 2007, 07:21 PM
She used to post here all the time, years ago, as TopBritYR. On her former horse Bailey, she was, according to her Web site, the youngest person to complete Badminton. Also according to her Web site, she recently moved back to train out of Plain Dealing Farm, where she formerly was a working student for Kim Severson.

http://www.eleanorbrennaneventing.com/

How terribly sad. Someone so dedicated to the sport and with so much promise. Condolences and prayers to her family and friends.

shea'smom
Nov. 17, 2007, 07:33 PM
This is the most horrible, horrible news I have read in a long time.

3horsemom
Nov. 17, 2007, 07:43 PM
such a tragedy. she was so young and such a lovely girl. my prayers are with her family and friends. poor horse.

Debbie
Nov. 17, 2007, 07:45 PM
Tragic for all involved. My condolences to her friends, family and everyone at the Florida Horse Park.

In The Gate
Nov. 17, 2007, 07:47 PM
How tragic :(. Condolences to her family and friends.

TBKate
Nov. 17, 2007, 07:52 PM
Oh, this is awful. Thinking of her family tonight...

eventrider
Nov. 17, 2007, 07:56 PM
I grew up doing Young Riders with Eleanor...this is such a tragedy. Sending well wished to her family,

Christan

2boys
Nov. 17, 2007, 08:01 PM
God, that is so horrifying. I am thinking of Eleanor and her lovely horse.

nirvana002
Nov. 17, 2007, 08:01 PM
I just thought I would write in and clarify what happened today so there is not too much speculation. I was present for the fall at the horse park today. It was a misjudgement in striding at the second to last jump on the CCI**. The horse was fine and jumping well before the accident. With the distace to the jump that they found, he wasn't able to get his legs out of the way. Obviously, it is an incredibly sad day for everyone. I know I speak for everyone here at the event when I say all of our thoughts and prayers are with her family and friends.

Jill Henneberg

NRB
Nov. 17, 2007, 08:06 PM
oh no how terribly sad. many hugs to the family. I remember TopBritYR's posts here, always helpfull. So sad.

Bensmom
Nov. 17, 2007, 08:28 PM
Condolences to her family and friends :( and also to everyone at the Horse Park today.

libby

octavian_jazz
Nov. 17, 2007, 08:29 PM
I was fortunate enough to know Eleanor in pony club when I was younger. She was a wonderful person.

My thoughts and prayers go to her family.

:cry:

retreadeventer
Nov. 17, 2007, 08:31 PM
It is just too much when someone has to die because they miss a distance to a fence, and the horse, too. I see why the upper levels demand so much of both horse and rider. How do you deal with something like this? I guess the best you can...This is shocking and tragic and sad and my heart goes out to her family and loved ones near to her, and her friends. I am sure you just cannot stop crying and the grief is overwhelming. There has to be a good side to this and it may come in time. Many prayers for all involved.

maxxtrot
Nov. 17, 2007, 08:45 PM
jill, thanks for the post. we could not see the front of the fence from where we were, and like you said, several different stories were heard. i did hear both as to he never left the ground and that the distance was just wrong. such a sad,sad day for all involved,
stacey

deltawave
Nov. 17, 2007, 08:52 PM
People die tragically simply by being in the wrong place at the wrong time. At the hands of drunk drivers. As innocent bystanders in violent places. From diseases nobody deserves. Free will puts some of us in the path of danger sometimes, too.

Please, please let's not blame the sport, or the choices people make. None of us is certain of long life or good health.

grayarabpony
Nov. 17, 2007, 09:03 PM
Jill thank you for posting. How very sad.

Eventcrazy
Nov. 17, 2007, 09:11 PM
My heart goes out to the family!!! They both will be missed!

ellebeaux
Nov. 17, 2007, 09:14 PM
This is so sad. My condolences to her family and friends.

steelerino
Nov. 17, 2007, 09:18 PM
Boy this always acts as a reminder just how dangerous cross country can be. It is a terrible tragedy, my condolences go out to the family.

sirena_chaucer
Nov. 17, 2007, 09:26 PM
I'm not familiar with the young woman or her horse, but wanted to express my shock in hearing this news.

Heartfelt condolences to the family, I can't imagine the pain they're feeling right now. Oh, I'm so, so sorry for their loss.

AppJumpr08
Nov. 17, 2007, 09:41 PM
Oh how awful :(:(:(
Huge jingles for her family and all that knew her.

KBG Eventer
Nov. 17, 2007, 09:43 PM
:(

Condolences to her family.

I think I saw her gallop by when I watching XC at River Glen the other weekend. :cry:

c_expresso
Nov. 17, 2007, 09:51 PM
My friend left me a message when I was at work and told me the horrible news... our trainer knew almost immediately. My jaw literally dropped and I didn't know what to think, and I was at work. I didn't know Eleanor that well or anything but she is my friend on FB and also I have met her at clinics next door to our barn and at the starter trials. I cannot believe it....

My trainer said that it was at the 2nd to last jump, and she was going very fast and Barney caught his legs on it and flipped. I can't even imagine... this is sooooo soooo awful.

Something needs to change in eventing... this year has been terrible.

eks
Nov. 17, 2007, 10:04 PM
My heart goes out to her family and friends..they will be in my prayers.

bridlewise
Nov. 17, 2007, 10:11 PM
Admittedly, it was a horrible and sad accident, and we all mourn her passing and send our heartfelt condolences to all friends and family---but, could it have been avoided? Was Eleanor qualified to run at this level in this event? From her past performances it does not look as though she was qualified to compete at his level. Who gave her permission to run at this event? Isn't our National Federation responsible for being sure that riders are qualified AND capable of running at a certain level? Yes, she completed Badminton---with a non-qualifying score. And her entire record seems to show she did not have the experience to be competing at this level. This is not, in any way, a knock against Eleanor. We were devasted to know of the results of her fall and it put the rest of the event into perspective--BUT something needs to be done to be sure these riders are competent to ride these courses. This does not need to keep happening!!

eventgroupie2
Nov. 17, 2007, 10:15 PM
So sorry for all involved - my heart goes out to family and friends.

shea'smom
Nov. 17, 2007, 10:23 PM
bridlewise, I don't get what you are saying. This rider had completed Badminton.

ZEBE
Nov. 17, 2007, 10:24 PM
I am just sick at heart to hear this... We were stabled next to her a few years back when she was riding Bailey... met her and her mom. She left for England shortly after that. I am so sorry... Sending our condolences.

octavian_jazz
Nov. 17, 2007, 10:27 PM
Admittedly, it was a horrible and sad accident, and we all mourn her passing and send our heartfelt condolences to all friends and family---but, could it have been avoided? Was Eleanor qualified to run at this level in this event? From her past performances it does not look as though she was qualified to compete at his level. Who gave her permission to run at this event? Isn't our National Federation responsible for being sure that riders are qualified AND capable of running at a certain level? Yes, she completed Badminton---with a non-qualifying score. And her entire record seems to show she did not have the experience to be competing at this level. This is not, in any way, a knock against Eleanor. We were devasted to know of the results of her fall and it put the rest of the event into perspective--BUT something needs to be done to be sure these riders are competent to ride these courses. This does not need to keep happening!!

I'm sure that this will make everyone feel much better about the acident, kudos to you.

You could have at least waited a little while before posting something like this. Or maybe even a seperate thread of the causes of tragic accidents would have been more appropriate? And how is that you get off passing some sort of judgment like this?

Event4Life
Nov. 17, 2007, 10:29 PM
Eleanor introduced me to horses. The first horse I ever rode was her first horse, Cadbury, at Grayson Farm. Her parents convinced my parents that I should start riding after that one ride, and eventually calmed them down about the crazy horse owning world. I feel like I owe such a huge part of my life to Eleanor...and breaking this news to my parents was the hardest thing I've ever had to do in my life. Prayers and condolences to the Brennan family. Eleanor, may you Rest In Peace with Bailey and Barnobus.

Thank you, Huxley for posting that...I really couldn't find the words.

RAyers
Nov. 17, 2007, 10:30 PM
Badminton is a **** this was a **. In other words she had to run multiple CCI** before she even got to Badminton. She was well BEYOND qualified to run at this level. She ran Advanced, this was Intermediate.

I am very sorry for the accident. I have seen this types of incidents before and hearing this makes me just sad. My prayers go out to all.

Reed

Lori T
Nov. 17, 2007, 11:12 PM
This is so sad, our local news in Orlando is running the story. They posted several photo's of her.

sabriel
Nov. 17, 2007, 11:15 PM
It always hits me deeply whenever a fellow rider is seriously injured or killed. Even if I do not know them personally.

My thoughts and prayers are with the family and friends.

flypony74
Nov. 17, 2007, 11:15 PM
So sorry to hear this. My thoughts and prayers go out to her family and friends.

Erin
Nov. 17, 2007, 11:27 PM
Folks, please just leave this thread as one for thoughts and condolences. If you want to talk about issues in eventing, please, out of respect for those who just wish to mourn or express their thoughts, do it in another thread.

annikak
Nov. 17, 2007, 11:40 PM
Unreal-
I met her this summer at an ICP clinic at Festival. She was TALENTED and Kind and a great rider and instructor. She was the most promising person in the group, (Level II and III) and really understood her horses.
So very sad. And I have to say, what I saw of her was indeed, she was honestly at the level. Such a bright young woman.
So sad...:cry::cry::cry:

TBKate
Nov. 17, 2007, 11:40 PM
Thank you, Erin.

4Martini
Nov. 17, 2007, 11:53 PM
My condolences to her family, friends and everyone feeling pain due to this accident.

I have never met her- but how brave and full of life she must have been to have lived the life mentioned here. Sounds like she experienced more in a short life than most people will in 100 years.

Hugs to everyone.

Carol Ames
Nov. 18, 2007, 12:00 AM
:confused:I can't open the fox news :mad:site; someone please tell,me what happened and when it happened.

Thanks

Carol Ames
Nov. 18, 2007, 12:13 AM
She certainly does seem to have been qualified to run at this:yes: level;; I feel we should be asking, what has happened to cause so many highly experienced horses and riders to have such horrible falls in but, what has happened?Florida this past year?:confused:

scavenger
Nov. 18, 2007, 12:31 AM
I just happened on to this. I did not know the rider or her horse but my heart goes out to all who did know her and her family.Condolences seems such a cheap word to say in face of such tragedy. I do think for all of us Deltawave puts it the best. (i.e. sometimes things just happen for no reason and through no ones fault). My family and I have been through a similar thing.
Jamie

wanderlust
Nov. 18, 2007, 12:51 AM
So very, very sad. My condolences to her friends and family.

Joanne
Nov. 18, 2007, 12:53 AM
I couldn't get on the Fox site as well. But here is another one which gives some information.

http://www.ocala.com/article/20071117/NEWS/71117003/1053/BREAKING_NEWS

eventer2002
Nov. 18, 2007, 01:15 AM
I agree with this poster. Although it may not be pleasant to acknowledge, Eleanor's recent U.S. record with this horse was very poor.

July 21st at Prelim: 20 xc jump penalties, and a score of 85.5

August 18th at Int: Retired

Sept 7th at ** : Final score of 125.20

Sept 22 at Int: Retired

Oct 4 @ Advanced: Eliminated

Why would someone run an advanced after 2 previous int retirements?????
Nov 3 @ Int: Final score of 91.43

Overall she competed 11 times this year.
Was eliminated, retired or withdrew, 6 times.
Best finish was 5th at prelim.

Not exactly great stats.

Bensmom
Nov. 18, 2007, 01:16 AM
If you load the Fox site and then delete the second http, it should load.

Eventrgrl
Nov. 18, 2007, 01:20 AM
Together they completed a ** in the UK last year
The rider has completed badmiton

they got bad striding to the 2nd to last fence and had a fatal accident. obviously to get to that point that were not unqualified.

it hasnt been 24 hours and your making judgements that you have no right to at this time. again, i can only think how horrible a thing this is. my condolences.

have some respect.

yventer
Nov. 18, 2007, 01:24 AM
I was at Virginia Horse Center when I heard the news. It is devastating to *so* many people on a lot of levels. To whoever is listening: We will miss Eleanor greatly! She was wonderful and kind, so please grant her the heaven full of horses that she deserves!

Very sad,

Yvonne

wanderlust
Nov. 18, 2007, 01:34 AM
eventer2002 and unbridled, could you please muster up some class and respect? this is not the time or place to be passing judgement.

eleanor has touched many, many of our lives, and no matter how the accident happened, it is nothing short of a devastating tragedy.

*In Your Dreams*
Nov. 18, 2007, 03:20 AM
Sending love and strength to the family...

Bossanova
Nov. 18, 2007, 05:41 AM
Shocking.

Lovely girl, talented rider and will be sadly missed here in England too

pwynnnorman
Nov. 18, 2007, 06:33 AM
Clearly, Eleanor touched many of our lives. I didn't know her well, but I recognized her strength and determination even in the short time I interacted with her. And I know she appreciated the support of her friends and her mother, who I also found inspiring in her confidence and sincerity and I extend to her in particular my sincerest condolences. Eleanor purchased a paternal half-brother to Teddy from me--long before Teddy was "Teddy." She saw him on videotape, greenly jumping around a little jumper course at show and responded with no ifs-ands-or-buts about working through the purchase. She knew what she wanted to do, what she needed to do it, and what it would take. I found her a very prepared young woman who thought ahead, not back. Godspeed, Eleanor.

Reynard Ridge
Nov. 18, 2007, 07:04 AM
Condolences to her family and friends.

Jazzy Lady
Nov. 18, 2007, 08:36 AM
Major condolenses to her friends and family. What a terrible accident. :(

twistoffate
Nov. 18, 2007, 09:09 AM
What awful news! My heartfelt condolences to Eleanor's family and friends. God speed Barney.

Sannois
Nov. 18, 2007, 09:23 AM
I have been out of the eventing niche for some time so I have never heard of Eleanor, No matter, it is terribly tragic when someone loses their life in such a way. So very sorry:(

canyonoak
Nov. 18, 2007, 09:32 AM
Godspeed, Eleanor.

The knowledge that you died doing what you so obviously loved and cared deeply about will be small comfort to those you left behind.

bambam
Nov. 18, 2007, 09:37 AM
what a tragedy- her poor family
my condolences to everyone who knew her

annikak
Nov. 18, 2007, 09:38 AM
I

Just to point out- at a **, you MUST qualify, and therefore, she was qualified at that level, and also...she was going at the **, which is an "I" level.

This is all over sad and miserable, but does not deserve anyone commenting on what they believe, esp if the info was incorrect.

Erin
Nov. 18, 2007, 10:22 AM
I'm sorry, am I talking to myself here? TAKE IT OFF THE THREAD! And maybe wait, I don't know, 24 hours or something before you start picking the incident apart? Sheesh.

thumbsontop
Nov. 18, 2007, 10:36 AM
So sorry to hear about such a tragedy.

It's definitely a reminder to appreciate every day we are given on this earth - especially when we are so lucky to be doing something we love so much.

Petalstorm
Nov. 18, 2007, 10:42 AM
Godspeed...
I am beyond sad reading all of this.
My heart goes out to the family and friends.

hey101
Nov. 18, 2007, 11:25 AM
I am incredibly saddened to hear of Eleanor's horrible accident. The eventing world has suffered far more than it's share of tragedies this year. :no::(

frugalannie
Nov. 18, 2007, 11:42 AM
My deepest condolences to Eleanor's family and all who knew her and her horse. Sometimes, there isn't any good answer to why things like this happen: that is the nature of accidents. Our sorrow is the way we honor the departed.

Godspeed, Eleanor.

rabicon
Nov. 18, 2007, 12:26 PM
Deepest symapthies. Didn't know her but is always so tragic to hear of these things. There was a death on the dressage board also from the other day from a farm not far from me. It makes you see how dangerous this sport is no matter if its eventing or pleasure riding its a risk we all take day to day. Godspeed and my prayers are with the family and friends.

ocalacom
Nov. 18, 2007, 02:31 PM
OCALA, FL -- More than a hundred people bowed their heads in silence this morning to honor Eleanor Brennan, the 21-year-old international rider who was killed Saturday during a competition called eventing
Ten flags representing the home countries of the 300 riders competing in the three-day event were flying at half-staff today in memory of the British rider known as a fearless competitor.

Click here for an update from Ocala.com (http://www.ocala.com/article/20071118/NEWS/71118004/1053/BREAKING_NEWS)

kookicat
Nov. 18, 2007, 02:56 PM
How awful :( My condolences to her family and conections.

Does anyone know what happened?

IfWishesWereHorses
Nov. 18, 2007, 03:18 PM
This is just tragic at all levels! As soon as I read her name...I thought no, that must be wrong. I had just been on facebook (Im a newbie to FB!) and searching through friends of friends etc..and saw her name as a friend of a friend of mine.

I was amazed, as I remembered her as being on COTH and reading about her journey to badminton (where incidentally my friend met her).

That was only a few days ago..and now I open this thread and read of her accident ..so so tragic.

Deepest condolances to all involved. What a tragic tragic thing.

RydArab
Nov. 18, 2007, 03:24 PM
I know little of eventing and nothing of this unfortunate young lady and her horse. She sounds like she was a wonderful and very talented person whom contributed to her sport of choice and did what she loved until the last.
I extend my most sincere condolences to her family,her friends and to her fellow eventers who lost one of their own yesterday.

May her horse guide her over the rainbow bridge and into peace.

nirvana002
Nov. 18, 2007, 04:02 PM
I agree with this poster. Although it may not be pleasant to acknowledge, Eleanor's recent U.S. record with this horse was very poor.

July 21st at Prelim: 20 xc jump penalties, and a score of 85.5

August 18th at Int: Retired

Sept 7th at ** : Final score of 125.20

Sept 22 at Int: Retired

Oct 4 @ Advanced: Eliminated

Nov 3 @ Int: Final score of 91.43

Overall she competed 11 times this year.
Was eliminated, retired or withdrew, 6 times.
Best finish was 5th at prelim.

Not exactly great stats.
What is wrong with you? While I applaud the chronicle for coming out and asking people like you to kindly keep your inappropriate comments to yourself, quite frankly, you should be banned from it. I am embarrassed that your screen name has the word eventer in it...your attitude is the opposite of what event riders are about. We are a sport that sticks together and ANY of the riders in our sport would be appalled with your post. For those of you who knew and loved Eleanor, I am sure that she would like it if we saluted her for being one of the youngest people to ride at Badminton ever in our sport's history!

Jill Henneberg

IfWishesWereHorses
Nov. 18, 2007, 04:24 PM
Thank you Jill, thank you so much. I couldn't have put it better myself. I am horrifed and disgusted that anyone could bring up such a thing in a thread like this.

IWWH, New Zealand

EvntDad
Nov. 18, 2007, 04:24 PM
Whenever I hear of these tragedies, especially when they involve young riders, my thoughts immediately turn to the grieving parents. No parent should ever outlive their child. As a parent, it's difficult to imagine anything more devastating, and it's the type of event from which parents might never recover. In this instance, I'm comforted to read of the statement issued by Eleanor's mom. She spoke of Eleanor's passion and how hard she worked in pursuit of her dreams. She also spoke of God's gift of choice, and how we all recognize the inherent risks in eventing. I share this same philosophy, and it's why I continue to support my daughter's efforts as she pursues dreams similar to Eleanor's. However, I know that if anything should happen to my daughter, my grief would be unfathomable and I suspect that logic/reasoning could get tossed aside as I battled my internal demons. Fortunately, I believe my memories of all the joy and other benefits my daughter has derived from her sport, along with the knowledge that my daughter simply wouldn't have it any other way, would help me win that battle. I sincerely hope that is also true for Eleanor's parents.

Our thoughts and prayers are with the Brennan family.

ocalacom
Nov. 18, 2007, 04:26 PM
Woman killed in competition had zeal for life
BY JOE CALLAHAN
Star-Banner
OCALA - Equestrian Eleanor Brennan had just returned from England to her parent's Virginia home when the unthinkable happened here Saturday.
While Brennan's mother, Christine Durman Brennan, and family friend, Linda Wachtmeister, watched, Eleanor Brennan's horse Mister Barnabus stumbled just before a jump.
The horse fell hard, shocking onlookers.
Click for more... (http://www.ocala.com/article/20071118/NEWS/71118004/1053/BREAKING_NEWS)

LLDM
Nov. 18, 2007, 05:09 PM
My deepest condolences to the family and friends of this lovely, talented young woman and her equine partner.

SCFarm

Platinum Equestrian
Nov. 18, 2007, 05:13 PM
OCALA, FL -- More than a hundred people bowed their heads in silence this morning to honor Eleanor Brennan, the 21-year-old international rider who was killed Saturday during a competition called eventing
Ten flags representing the home countries of the 300 riders competing in the three-day event were flying at half-staff today in memory of the British rider known as a fearless competitor.

Click here for an update from Ocala.com (http://www.ocala.com/article/20071118/NEWS/71118004/1053/BREAKING_NEWS)

What a great article in rememberance - her mother spoke with such strength.

JanWeber
Nov. 18, 2007, 05:16 PM
As the mother of two young eventers, I cringe when I hear this type of news. My heart goes out to the Brennan family. Life is random, there is no consolation for the loss of a child... There is no "good" way to go at that age - whether it be doing what you love or getting hit by a taxi crossing the street.

RiverBendPol
Nov. 18, 2007, 05:23 PM
Whenever I hear of these tragedies, especially when they involve young riders, my thoughts immediately turn to the grieving parents. No parent should ever outlive their child. As a parent, it's difficult to imagine anything more devastating, and it's the type of event from which parents might never recover. In this instance, I'm comforted to read of the statement issued by Eleanor's mom. She spoke of Eleanor's passion and how hard she worked in pursuit of her dreams. She also spoke of God's gift of choice, and how we all recognize the inherent risks in eventing. I share this same philosophy, and it's why I continue to support my daughter's efforts as she pursues dreams similar to Eleanor's. However, I know that if anything should happen to my daughter, my grief would be unfathomable and I suspect that logic/reasoning could get tossed aside as I battled my internal demons. Fortunately, I believe my memories of all the joy and other benefits my daughter has derived from her sport, along with the knowledge that my daughter simply wouldn't have it any other way, would help me win that battle. I sincerely hope that is also true for Eleanor's parents.

EvntDad, Thanks to you as well. You always put my thoughts and feelings so eloquently for me.

My deepest condolences to Eleanor's family and friends. This is tragedy at its utmost. The only thing to ease the shock and horror is to know they were both doing what they loved best and can continue to do so on the other side of The Bridge.

Robby Johnson
Nov. 18, 2007, 05:26 PM
I only met Eleanor once, at Rolex probably in 2004, and was struck at how shy and quiet she was compared to her posts on the BB and the email exchanges we used to share. She was also my friend on FB and I was so happy to see that she'd progressed and done so much with her life and riding.

This is positively a punch in the gut and my heart is breaking for her parents, family, friends, and mostly for her.

RunForIt
Nov. 18, 2007, 05:38 PM
Half the failures in life arise from pulling in one\'s horse as he is leaping. - A.W. Hare

I've not posted because my feelings couldn't find the words...after reading Robby's post, I glanced down at his signature, and knew that Eleanor would understand this the most...she went from this life riding forward to a fence...oh that we all might do the same.

Fred
Nov. 18, 2007, 05:56 PM
My most sincere condolences to the family and friends of Eleanor. It is a sad and tragic loss of a talented young person and a good horse.
There are no words that are adequate.

denny
Nov. 18, 2007, 05:59 PM
It seems so often that these terrible accidents happen to our very best and bravest kids, and I think it`s one of the potential side effects of courage and a sense of adventure, and a willingness, perhaps even a need, to aim very high.
Please know, parents, family and friends of this great girl, that you are in the thoughts and prayers of hundreds of us who, while we may not have known your daughter, do know and hugely admire the spirit that drove her.

kcrubin
Nov. 18, 2007, 06:02 PM
Please know, parents, family and friends of this great girl, that you are in the thoughts and prayers of hundreds of us who, while we may not have known your daughter, do know and hugely admire the spirit that drove her.[/QUOTE]

My feelings exactly - so eloquently put.

shea'smom
Nov. 18, 2007, 06:13 PM
There is a link on the front page of www.cnn.com (http://www.cnn.com) to a story about Eleanor.

Stewie
Nov. 18, 2007, 06:21 PM
My heartfelt condolences to her family and friends.

I will give my horse an extra kiss, and ride my best in honor of her memory.
My next time crossing thru the finish flags will be for you, Eleanore.

foxhavenfarm
Nov. 18, 2007, 06:29 PM
Our deepest condolences to Eleanor's family. You are in our thoughts.

hookedoneventing
Nov. 18, 2007, 06:38 PM
I was at the park this weekend competing...was warming up for stadium and my heart sunk when I saw the first responders at the jump...I did not see the fall and honestly am thankful for that...my heart is so heavy for everyone involved, my thoughts go out to Eleanor's family and friends...I attended the horse inspection this morning and was present for the moment of silence and tribute...it was very moving...

Godspeed Eleanor and Barnabus

Erin
Nov. 18, 2007, 06:40 PM
What is wrong with you? While I applaud the chronicle for coming out and asking people like you to kindly keep your inappropriate comments to yourself, quite frankly, you should be banned from it. I am embarrassed that your screen name has the word eventer in it...your attitude is the opposite of what event riders are about. We are a sport that sticks together and ANY of the riders in our sport would be appalled with your post. For those of you who knew and loved Eleanor, I am sure that she would like it if we saluted her for being one of the youngest people to ride at Badminton ever in our sport's history!

Jill Henneberg

When I asked the "other discussion" to be taken to another thread, I meant ALL of it. If you respond to them, they will respond to you. TAKE IT OFF THIS THREAD.

We do not ban people for expressing unpopular opinions. We will, however, ask them (and you) to "take it outside."

RunForIt
Nov. 18, 2007, 06:46 PM
We do not ban people for expressing unpopular opinions. We will, however, ask them (and you) to "take it outside."

There needs to be a reverence for life, for the courage to throw a leg over a horse, to simply get up in the morning and go forth...this young woman lived, rode horses, hurt at times, laughed, got dressed, rode her horse into the starting box, and finished in God's hands. Let's honor her life, her efforts, and know we will follow, all in good time.

JDufort
Nov. 18, 2007, 07:00 PM
My heart goes out to the family and close friends of Eleanor. There is no easy way to cope with such a sudden and unexpected loss.

I salute her for her spirit, her courage, and for doing what she loved with skill and vigor.

All of us eventing Moms and Dads will be hugging our young eventers tonight - even from afar.

Snapdragon
Nov. 18, 2007, 07:03 PM
RunForIt, That was really very beautifully said. My heart goes out to her family and friends as well as to her.

CosmosMariner
Nov. 18, 2007, 07:11 PM
We as riders just lost one of the greats. This is no time to turn this into a debate. I agree with others (and the MODERATOR) take that somewhere else.

We have a family in pain, friends in pain and a community reeling from a loss.

Find it in your heart to stop it.

Irish Ei's
Nov. 18, 2007, 07:20 PM
With a Breaking heart, I send my Prayers....
Gallop On, Eleanor !!!!

La Gringa
Nov. 18, 2007, 07:23 PM
My condolences to the family and friends of Eleanor and her horse. What a sad day... :(.

BBowen
Nov. 18, 2007, 07:30 PM
What a horrible tradgedy for the family and friends of this gifted young woman. My thoughts and prayers are them.

Candle
Nov. 18, 2007, 07:34 PM
I believe that we all grieve in different ways, some of us by trying in vain to make sense of a senseless tragedy. Regardless, my heart goes out to Eleanor, her family, her friends, and I will keep you all in my thoughts.

Guin
Nov. 18, 2007, 08:12 PM
Woman, Horse Killed During Jump At Riding Event

POSTED: 8:31 pm EST November 17, 2007
UPDATED: 11:47 am EST November 18, 2007

MARION COUNTY, Fla. -- A 21-year-old woman was killed when her horse stumbled on a jump at a riding event and crushed her on Saturday.
Eleanor Brennan, 21, of Esmont, Virginia, was attending the 2007 Horse Trials, an international horse event, at the Florida Horse Park, a statement from the Marion County Sheriff's Office said.
Brennan was riding an 11-year-old male named Mister Barnabus. The horse struck a gate during the event, tumbled onto his neck and landed on Brennan, the statement said.
The horse died instantly, and Brennan died a short time later at a hospital, the statement said.
Marion County Fire Rescue spokeswoman Heather Danenhower said Brennan had head and chest injuries.
Tom Warriner, chairman of Florida Horse Park, said event officials plan to review tapes to determine what caused the fall.
Brennan was a British citizen who split time between the United Kingdom and Virginia, the Ocala Star-Banner reported. She was completing in the horse park's three-day event.
Brennan's body was taken to the Leesburg Medical Examiner's Office for an autopsy.
A necropsy of the horse will be conducted at the University of Florida.
Watch Local 6 News for more on this story.

Copyright 2007 by Internet Broadcasting Systems and Local6.com (webstaff@mycfnow.com). The Associated Press contributed to this report. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

zagafi
Nov. 18, 2007, 08:18 PM
Godspeed, Eleanor. My thoughts and prayers are with her family--I cannot imagine their pain.

JSwan
Nov. 18, 2007, 08:35 PM
My condolences on the loss of this lovely young woman.

I hope it is some small comfort to her family and friends that she died doing what she loved.

Carried Away
Nov. 18, 2007, 08:38 PM
The memorial tribute today before showjumping began was very touching and eloquently written. The flags outside the arena were at half-mast in Eleanor's honor.

My dad talked to the responding paramedics and they told him that they immediately began CPR before she was put in the ambulance, but Eleanor was already gone. It is reassuring to know that she did not suffer and most likely did not have to see her horse go either.

What a terrible tragedy, my heart goes out to her family and those close to her.

Daydream Believer
Nov. 18, 2007, 08:49 PM
My most heartfelt condolences to Eleanor's family for the tragic loss of such a special young lady.

True Southern Pride
Nov. 18, 2007, 09:02 PM
I'm so sad to hear about this. My condolences to her family and friends

Sobriska
Nov. 18, 2007, 09:04 PM
Second to the last fence. I wonder if any of the critics have any idea of just how incredible a team it takes to get that far??
I am sure they crossed the Bridge together. Godspeed to a beatiful pair.
Condolonces to family and friends.

mbj
Nov. 18, 2007, 09:21 PM
Prayers for Eleanor,her horse, her family and her friends. So very very sad.

eventer_mi
Nov. 18, 2007, 09:59 PM
Godspeed, Eleanor and Barney. You are greatly missed.

Carol Ames
Nov. 18, 2007, 10:27 PM
[ (http://oascentral.lycos.com/RealMedia/ads/click_lx.ads/lycostripod/memberembedded/1x1/wp/ss/a/835479658/Position3/default/empty.gif/34376232326637393437343130303630?)] (http://javascript<b></b>:;)
For Whom the Bell Tolls

by John Donne

No man is an island,
Entire of itself.
Each is a piece of the continent,
A part of the main.
If a clod be washed away by the sea,
Europe is the less.
As well as if a promontory were.
As well as if a manner of thine own
Or of thine friend's were.
Each man's death diminishes me,
For I am involved in mankind.
Therefore, send not to know
For whom the bell tolls,

Carol Ames
Nov. 18, 2007, 10:40 PM
Well said runforit! Obviously you,John donne and I :lol:are all on the "same page!":yes:needs to be a reverence for life, for the courage to throw a leg over a horse, to simply get up in the morning and go forth...this young woman lived, rode horses, hurt at times, laughed, got dressed, rode her horse into the starting box, and finished in God's hands. Let's honor her life, her efforts, and know we will follow, all in good time.
__________________Or of thine friend's were.
Each man's death diminishes me,
For I am involved in mankind.
Therefore, send not to know
For whom the bell tolls,
It tolls for thee.

CookiePony
Nov. 19, 2007, 09:16 AM
I am coming late to this thread-- I got in late last night from Ocala, where I was a volunteer.

I am so sad for Eleanor's family and friends and have been thinking of her often.

I must say that COTH's own FlightCheck, who was XC Control, was beyond impressive all weekend. She kept everyone organized through a very long and trying day on Saturday, and then came back again yesterday morning for another very long day.

mellsmom
Nov. 19, 2007, 09:34 AM
What a senseless loss. I had not heard the news until I logged in this am despite being at VHC for a while this Saturday. My heart breaks for her family and her extended Charlottesville family. What a shock. I can't believe it's true.

eventersmom
Nov. 19, 2007, 11:02 AM
There needs to be a reverence for life, for the courage to throw a leg over a horse, to simply get up in the morning and go forth...this young woman lived, rode horses, hurt at times, laughed, got dressed, rode her horse into the starting box, and finished in God's hands. Let's honor her life, her efforts, and know we will follow, all in good time.

Lovely and I second the sentiments of RunForIt. Godspeed, Eleanor and Barney. They left us doing what they loved.

hookedoneventing
Nov. 19, 2007, 11:58 AM
http://www.ocala.com/article/20071119/BREAKING_NEWS/71119007/1053/BREAKING_NEWS

Twinkletozzz
Nov. 19, 2007, 12:11 PM
While I did not know Eleanor, I am shocked and very saddened to read of this news. My heartfelt condolences go out to all of her family and friends. I cannot even begin to imagine the depths of pain you must be feeling over a life snuffed out so early and senselessly. Please know I have all of you in my thoughts and prayers.

Ponymom4
Nov. 19, 2007, 12:13 PM
My heartfelt condolances go out to Eleanor family and friends. It's every mother's nightmare, the death of a child. But I applaud Eleanor's mom for her courage to allow Eleanor to do what she loved.

Horsejudge
Nov. 19, 2007, 12:20 PM
So sad - my condolences!

Davignport
Nov. 19, 2007, 12:26 PM
My heartfelt prayers and condolences to Eleanor and her family and friends. I did not know her but feel such a sadness at this very tragic accident.

IQ3day14
Nov. 19, 2007, 12:55 PM
Saturday was truely an awful day. To look up and witness the fall was not something I ever want to happen again. My prayers are with her, her horse, her family, and all of her friends. She was such an accomplished women. Seeing this happen to someone really hits close to home because it could have been any of us.

As I galloped towards the second to last fence at the Ocala 3day, tears filled my eyes. Go home, tell your family you love them and give your horses a big hug.

This is such a tragic loss

Irish Ei's
Nov. 19, 2007, 01:33 PM
My heartfelt condolances go out to Eleanor family and friends. It's every mother's nightmare, the death of a child. But I applaud Eleanor's mom for her courage to allow Eleanor to do what she loved.

Amen.....

pwynnnorman
Nov. 19, 2007, 01:40 PM
http://www.ocala.com/article/20071119/BREAKING_NEWS/71119007/1053/BREAKING_NEWS

I wonder what they'll come up with. I'm sure a rider like Eleanor wouldn't want them to gut the sport for fear of these happenings, but nor can I think how they could make tables any safer -- short of making them out of paper mache.

La Gringa
Nov. 19, 2007, 01:48 PM
Being horsepeople, we all know the risks of the sport we love. It doesn't stop us, and it never will. I hope that when my time comes, that I go doing something I love as much as Eleanor did eventing. She was so young and at the top of her sport, and will always be remembered as such.

My brother lost his life as a young age too.. what helps me deal with it is to remember that he was young and in the peak of his life, enjoying it.

Nobody can explain tragedies like this, they happen everyday. They are never easy. At least the family and friends of this talented rider has all the support from everyone on this board and througout the horse community. We all have known tragedy like this if you have been in the sport long enough.. it happens.. and we must carry on in their memory.

I always remember people like this, after tragedies happen. In a way, they become a part of me and my thoughts forever. I just hope that the family can find some peace through knowing that, their daughter will be remembered by many forever.

hey101
Nov. 19, 2007, 02:09 PM
I always remember people like this, after tragedies happen. In a way, they become a part of me and my thoughts forever. I just hope that the family can find some peace through knowing that, their daughter will be remembered by many forever.

Yes. I think often of Mia, and Amanda, and even Amanda Warrington, who died years ago. And now I will think often of Eleanor and Barnabus.

Trixie
Nov. 19, 2007, 03:05 PM
My condolences to her family and friends. What an absolute tragedy :(

magnolia73
Nov. 19, 2007, 03:25 PM
21 seems so young. But sounds like she filled those years with a lot of fabulous riding, horses and friends. Even a short life can be well lived.

breakthru
Nov. 19, 2007, 05:55 PM
this news is such a hard blow. what a terribly painful loss. every day we have is a gift. I did not know eleanor, but my thoughts will be with her family.

Hidden
Nov. 19, 2007, 06:10 PM
I am very sorry for her friends and family that will miss her so.. but if I had to go.. this is how I would prefer. Death has been much on my mind lately as I have lost several family members and some wonderful animal friends this year.. I have been reassessing my own life and what I want. I don't want to be out of sync and I am well aware of the hurt everyone around feels when someone so young is pulled from us so quickly. But, going out on my horse at a my last wonderful event.. I can't imagine better for me. I know they are galloping and jumping the rainbow bridge together.

Auburn
Nov. 19, 2007, 07:28 PM
God Bless the family left behind. Godspeed to Eleanor and her wonderful horse. Auburn

yellowbritches
Nov. 19, 2007, 08:05 PM
This is very sad and tragic news. Also very sobering.

My deepest sympathy to Eleanor's family and friends.

cottagefarm
Nov. 19, 2007, 08:32 PM
Saturday was truely an awful day. To look up and witness the fall was not something I ever want to happen again. My prayers are with her, her horse, her family, and all of her friends. She was such an accomplished women. Seeing this happen to someone really hits close to home because it could have been any of us.

As I galloped towards the second to last fence at the Ocala 3day, tears filled my eyes. Go home, tell your family you love them and give your horses a big hug.

This is such a tragic loss

Very well said, although I was doing pretty good until I read this:cry:
It is very true that we all take things very much for granted.
Lets all on this week of Thanks Giving make sure we let our loved ones ( and critters) know how much we appreciate them , for everything can change in the blink of an eye.

God bless you Eleanor and Barnaby and may you soar over many fences together in heaven :sadsmile:

florida foxhunter
Nov. 19, 2007, 08:46 PM
My thoughts and prayers also go to Eleanor's family and friends...........we'll all remember her and her great partner.........soooooo sad!!!

tarheelmd07
Nov. 19, 2007, 09:17 PM

RunForIt, you put it so eloquently...what a beautiful tribute.

Condolences to the Brennan family on such a tragic loss. Godspeed to a talented pair...

Poombadesign2
Nov. 20, 2007, 12:25 AM
It is very true that we all take things very much for granted.
Lets all on this week of Thanks Giving make sure we let our loved ones ( and critters) know how much we appreciate them , for everything can change in the blink of an eye.

I have been wanting to post, but not really sure what to say, but I think that quote directly addresses what I've been feeling these past few days...

Eleanor and I were inseperable in high school. She was the closest friend I had, and I have not experienced another friendship quite like it since. We were the two crazy horse girls whom everyone loved to joke with due to our strange passion and past-time. The top event riders were our idols. I swear, every free moment we had at school, we were on the computers either looking at event results, browsing pictures, or posting on this message board. While our peers were partying on the weekends, we were off competing at events or participating in some other horse-related activity.

After high school, Eleanor followed her riding career back to England and I packed off for college, leaving the horse stuff behind in pusuit of other interests. Her and I stayed in touch, but we definitely started growing slowly apart as our lives took us in different directions. However, we could laugh and joke and carry on like we'd never missed a beat the times we were able to spend together. We'd seen each other a few times since she'd moved back to the States, but our busy schedules never really allowed anything more than brief get-togethers. We both promised each other that we'd hang out to catch up, but that kept getting pushed back as weekends quickly filled up.

I guess basically what I'm meaning to say is don't let whatever you perceive to be the "busy-ness" of life stand in the way of showing others how much you care for them. It's easy to take for granted the fact that someone will be there tomorrow and your plans can hold off for later, but you never know when they're just not going to be there anymore. I'm realizing now that, "I can't this weekend, I've got XYZ..." really wasn't a good excuse. Life truly is precious and we should be thankful for each and every day we have with those we love.

I spoke on the phone tonight with another old friend who was also very close with Eleanor, but whom I hadn't spoken with since high school. I realized in talking to her that it really is hard to think about the person Eleanor was without smiling. Although we are all deeply sadden by this tragedy, it is comforting in a way to look back and see what an amazing life she has lived. She was so bubbly, energetic, and such an inspiration to so many people. The two of us were laughing through our tears as we remembered the fun times we'd all experienced together and how the room became such a brighter place as soon as Eleanor walked in. The memories I have of her are filled with laughter, joy, and living life to the utmost, doing what she was truly passionate about.

I am overwhelmed at the support expressed here within the eventing community. I had forgotten what a tight-knit community it, in fact, is and how both the tradgies and successes experienced by a fellow rider are felt by all. Thank you.

Erica

Dreamboat Annie
Nov. 20, 2007, 12:30 AM
How tragic, my prayers for her family and friends, so sad....:(

dr j
Nov. 20, 2007, 02:05 AM

EvntDad

What a lovely post. I have lost a child ( completely unrelated issue) but you are so right- no parent should outlive a child. I could hardly read this thread.... I didn't know Eleanor- and then saw she is 21- and immediately my heart and mind go to her parents and family. I am so sorry for the loss of their precious daughter/family member.

As I struggle with my own demons as my living children ride and take up other pursuits I know in my heart people like Eleanor would not have lived any other way and in many ways she lived more in such a short time than others do in a lifetime. Still an unfathomable loss.

Many sympathies to all her family and friends once again.

J

N2Equus
Nov. 20, 2007, 09:17 AM
While Eleanor and her family only live a few miles down the road from me I just had the privilege of meeting her in September. She was a lovely girl with a bright smile. Losing her will leave a permanent scar on the Scottsville community.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the Brennan family.

(**tears from reading posts** I'm going out now to give my daughter AND her horse a hug and tell them how much I love them.)

ShowMeTheGlory
Nov. 20, 2007, 10:38 AM
Jesus!! My condolences to the family. :cry:

ravenclaw
Nov. 20, 2007, 11:39 AM
Someone posted a news story about Eleanor on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nktgfCWo7J8

My heart goes out to Eleanor and all who knew her.

ZEBE
Nov. 20, 2007, 12:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunForIt

There have been so many beautiful and eloquent posting -- again, my deepest sympathies go out to Eleanors family and friends.

Gunnar
Nov. 20, 2007, 04:10 PM
Oh how I did not want to open this thread! :sadsmile: My heart goes out to all involved!

From my experience they jumped that big Rainbow bridge together and will be galloping forever!:cry:

Godspeed to Eleanor and her horse! :sadsmile: Hugs to her family as they grieve! :sadsmile:

Regal Grace
Nov. 20, 2007, 04:42 PM
Recently posted on the USEA website. Rememberences from ULR's:

http://www.useventing.com/start.php?id=1276

Sannois
Nov. 21, 2007, 06:55 AM
I have been wanting to post, but not really sure what to say, but I think that quote directly addresses what I've been feeling these past few days...

Eleanor and I were inseperable in high school. She was the closest friend I had, and I have not experienced another friendship quite like it since. We were the two crazy horse girls whom everyone loved to joke with due to our strange passion and past-time. The top event riders were our idols. I swear, every free moment we had at school, we were on the computers either looking at event results, browsing pictures, or posting on this message board. While our peers were partying on the weekends, we were off competing at events or participating in some other horse-related activity.

After high school, Eleanor followed her riding career back to England and I packed off for college, leaving the horse stuff behind in pusuit of other interests. Her and I stayed in touch, but we definitely started growing slowly apart as our lives took us in different directions. However, we could laugh and joke and carry on like we'd never missed a beat the times we were able to spend together. We'd seen each other a few times since she'd moved back to the States, but our busy schedules never really allowed anything more than brief get-togethers. We both promised each other that we'd hang out to catch up, but that kept getting pushed back as weekends quickly filled up.

I guess basically what I'm meaning to say is don't let whatever you perceive to be the "busy-ness" of life stand in the way of showing others how much you care for them. It's easy to take for granted the fact that someone will be there tomorrow and your plans can hold off for later, but you never know when they're just not going to be there anymore. I'm realizing now that, "I can't this weekend, I've got XYZ..." really wasn't a good excuse. Life truly is precious and we should be thankful for each and every day we have with those we love.

I spoke on the phone tonight with another old friend who was also very close with Eleanor, but whom I hadn't spoken with since high school. I realized in talking to her that it really is hard to think about the person Eleanor was without smiling. Although we are all deeply sadden by this tragedy, it is comforting in a way to look back and see what an amazing life she has lived. She was so bubbly, energetic, and such an inspiration to so many people. The two of us were laughing through our tears as we remembered the fun times we'd all experienced together and how the room became such a brighter place as soon as Eleanor walked in. The memories I have of her are filled with laughter, joy, and living life to the utmost, doing what she was truly passionate about.

I am overwhelmed at the support expressed here within the eventing community. I had forgotten what a tight-knit community it, in fact, is and how both the tradgies and successes experienced by a fellow rider are felt by all. Thank you.

Erica
And something we all need to remember! I am so sorry for the loss of your friend!
:(

vineyridge
Nov. 21, 2007, 01:19 PM
My condolences to her family, who truly must be suffering.

Every minute on this earth is a gift from God who only lends us our friends and families and beloved animals. When life is over and the loan is called, the souls and spirits of his creatures return to Him because He wanted their company for eternity.

Death is a part of life, and Eleanor Brennan will continue to live in the hearts of those who loved her and in the hands of God.

Skursar
Nov. 21, 2007, 02:09 PM
I never met Eleanor, and sadly never saw her ride until Saturday.

I was visiting Ocala and as an eventer, could not resist the lure of XC day. Dragging my non-riding parents and husband we settled in to watch. I was struck by how competent a team Eleanor and Barney were -- tackling the course easily.

It's because I was positioned next to the take-off side of the table and saw her come up the hill that I have to refute much of what has been erroneously printed and sadly posted.

Barney did not stumble or refuse. I've read posts that make it sound like he didn't try - which just is NOT true. He and Eleanor both tried to clear that obstacle.

I'm deeply saddened that there is a need to find immediate blame and speculate when all the facts are not available. I personanally see it as dishonoring the memory of two great talents.

Accidents are rarely caused by one thing, but usually a number of conditions exist. Should it be examined to see if anything can be done to prevent accidents of this nature - absolutely. But let's leave that to those who have all the facts.

For us, let's honor and celebrate the life of a beautiful passionate woman and her handsome partner.

Thanks to those that have shared their personal memories of her here. God Bless her family and friends who continue to share her light.

dressage72
Nov. 21, 2007, 03:30 PM
So sad to hear! Only makes you appreciate life just that little more. She appreciated her life as short as it was to the fullest and died doing what she loved.

Prayers for her family and friends.

I was scanning through the pictures of the jog last Wednesday and this photo of her and Barney truly says it all. Her loving, bright and enthusiastic smile, and Barney.....soft and trusting closing his eyes and leaning towards her arm.

Took my breath away.

http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/OrderPage.aspx?pi=08JQ010V000065&po=65

IfWishesWereHorses
Nov. 21, 2007, 06:24 PM
So sad to hear! Only makes you appreciate life just that little more. She appreciated her life as short as it was to the fullest and died doing what she loved.

Prayers for her family and friends.

I was scanning through the pictures of the jog last Wednesday and this photo of her and Barney truly says it all. Her loving, bright and enthusiastic smile, and Barney.....soft and trusting closing his eyes and leaning towards her arm.

Took my breath away.

Wow, what a beautifully striking horse (and rider ;-( )

Platinum Equestrian
Nov. 21, 2007, 06:34 PM
What a beautiful photo of a great pair - gave me chills. Thank-you for sharing.

spina
Nov. 21, 2007, 06:57 PM
...it really is hard to think about the person Eleanor was without smiling. Although we are all deeply sadden by this tragedy, it is comforting in a way to look back and see what an amazing life she has lived. She was so bubbly, energetic, and such an inspiration to so many people. The two of us were laughing through our tears as we remembered the fun times we'd all experienced together and how the room became such a brighter place as soon as Eleanor walked in. The memories I have of her are filled with laughter, joy, and living life to the utmost, doing what she was truly passionate about.

What a nice tribute. My sincerest condolences to you and to all of her friends, and especially to her family. It is such a horrible, tragic thing to happen, such an incredibly sad day.

Sabovee
Nov. 21, 2007, 07:09 PM

Took my breath away.

What a beautiful photo. Very calm and blissful.

maxxtrot
Nov. 21, 2007, 08:18 PM
i was there and watched the jog, that photo brought tears to my eyes. almost like they could just step off the photo to you. such a lovely pair!

ksbadger
Nov. 23, 2007, 09:14 PM
There is a memorial to Eleanor on the British Eventing site:
http://www.britisheventing.com/news.asp?section=0001000100020004&itemid=738&itemTitle=Eleanor+Brennan+Memorial&archiveDate=2007%2D11%2D1
My condolences to the family.