PDA

View Full Version : Cold laser therapy - your experiences wanted

CHorseFarm
Nov. 14, 2007, 09:23 PM
Pros? Cons?
I am thinking of this as a vocation...your thoughts are appreciated. TKS

Acertainsmile
Nov. 14, 2007, 09:33 PM
We have a friend that is vet/trainer... he has the machine and swears by it... havent used it on any of our horses as we are 10 hours away.

Carol Ames
Nov. 14, 2007, 09:53 PM
I am an advocate for laser therapy:yes:, have had very rgood experiences using it, and , in fact, I added that to my busines card :yes:; along with TTOUCH and massage therapy;:yes: I don't know how though how you would go about making a vocation of it:no:, did you mean doing therapy other peoples' horses:confused:?It is certainly effective in many cases but, I think you would need to hook up with a good holistic vet , and use it only under their direction; I you email me, I 'l be happy to tell you more about my experiences:yes: It was the most used modality in my first Aid kit; and is defintely a good investment for your own personal use:yes: I was able to hellp many horses, evena friends' dog with my laser :yes::lol:

gubbyz
Nov. 15, 2007, 11:53 PM
Which machine are you referring to?

KBEquine
Nov. 18, 2007, 10:43 AM
I have an old Respond system that I bought used & just had rehabbed and recalibrated this year. I also do massage therapy & sometimes use the two in conjunction with each other.

I also swear by it, but think that you would need to work with a vet, to make a living at it - be careful to check your state's requirements or risk being charged with practicing medicine without a license, if you go out on your own. Each state gets to define what it considers practicing medicine & vets & other medical professionals lobby for input, which often makes the definition of "practicing medicine" broader than a lay person expects, and I've seen it extend to equine massage, so you really need to check your state's laws & regulations.

But you asked for peoples' experiences:

I had a friend with an OTTB gelding with a sore ankle. He had called the vet, but wanted to 'test' the laser & asked me to use it on the gelding's ankle & tell him what I thought.

I used it for 3 days & then told him I thought 2 things:

1. In the gelding's case, it was relieving pain but not otherwise doing any therapeutic good.
2. The gelding reacted when I lasered low on the inside of the ankle & high on the outside of the ankle. I could see the reaction, but couldn't interpret what it meant.

After the vet took x-rays, the owner told me the gelding had 2 ankle chips - one low & on the inside & one high & on the outside of the ankle.

Clearly the laser wasn't going to "cure" ankle chips, but it did seem to make the gelding more comfortable. Equally clearly, it wasn't a diagnostic tool in my hands, even though I could observe reactions & make educated guesses.

I've also used it on muscle-sore horses whose muscles were too tight to tolerate deep muscle massage comfortably, with good results.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Acertainsmile
Nov. 20, 2007, 08:35 PM
I'll have to find out the name of the machine our vet friend was using... it was new, and high tech... quite the machine... I believe the temps go down to around freezing... I will check and be back!

War Admiral
Nov. 20, 2007, 10:13 PM
Before anyone goes out and spends bunches of money, might want to check out this thread (http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=121577&highlight=laser).

I have not yet had a chance to test Reed's theory but hopefully will over the holiday weekend!

gubbyz
Nov. 20, 2007, 10:20 PM
Not hijacking this thread, but anyone use the Centurion Laser?

Carol Ames
Nov. 21, 2007, 12:41 AM
:no:Before anyone goes out and spends bunches of money, might want to

check out this thread (http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=121577&highlight=laser).
From what I read there this is NOT :no: the same thing as a therapeutic laser;

I stil stand by what I said about my use of the the respond laser:yes:; I would not have tried to do without it; I had three boys/colts who came inperiodically with g"dings :winkgrin:" , cuts and scrapes; and the laser was the first thing I reached for:yes: ; It definitely has antimicrobial properties:yes:; also quiets the nerve endings ; once the horses realized that , they became very easy to handle; handle/treat.;)

War Admiral
Nov. 21, 2007, 08:49 AM
:no:Before anyone goes out and spends bunches of money, might want to check out this thread (http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=121577&highlight=laser).
From what I read there this is NOT :no: the same thing as a therapeutic laser;

I stil stand by what I said about my use of the the respond laser:yes:; I would not have tried to do without it; I had three boys/colts who came inperiodically with g"dings :winkgrin:" , cuts and scrapes; and the laser was the first thing I reached for:yes: ; It definitely has antimicrobial properties:yes:; also quiets the nerve endings ; once the horses realized that , they became very easy to handle; handle/treat.;)

Well, no offense intended, but the recommendations of a reputable vet and an engineer, neither of whom have a dawg in the hunt, probably weigh more heavily in my mind. ;)

But we'll see. I'm currently researching it with the intent of using it on acupressure points for HRH Avery's ringbone.

Petstorejunkie
Nov. 21, 2007, 09:10 AM
My mother is a diagnosed fibromialgia patient with her own cold laser. It makes it possible for her to get out of bed in the morning. I have used it on various muscle issues on myself with great success.

My applied kinesiologist reccomended i do cold laser on a ligament in my horses leg. He had a deactivated lymph node that he worked on and had me do the laser and massage that point for two weeks.

I love the laser.

Acertainsmile
Nov. 21, 2007, 07:52 PM
I'll have to find out the name of the machine our vet friend was using... it was new, and high tech... quite the machine... I believe the temps go down to around freezing... I will check and be back!

Just thought I'd correct myself... it wasnt a laser he was using at all... anyway...