PDA

View Full Version : My blissfully ignorant non-horsey friend dated future ULR

hey101
Nov. 12, 2007, 11:31 AM
I couldn't help but LOL over this one... hubby and I recently moved to Orange County, California and have finally started to make friends. Hubby went mountain-biking with a group of guys and then everyone came back to our house for beers and BBQ. We were chatting about all kinds of stuff and my interest in horses comes up, and I try to explain what eventing is.

One guy pipes up "I used to date a girl in high school who was REALLY into jumping and stuff- sounds like it might have been the same sport. In fact I think she might have even gone to the Olympics. She's down in Florida now where this family pays her to be their private trainer".

Me: "Do you remember her name?"

New Friend: "Of course, we stayed in touch for a while and she was a really nice girl.... Jill Hennenberg".

Me: :eek::eek: "You dated JILL HENNENBERG!?!" :eek::eek:

NF: "Yeah, you've heard of her?"

Me: :lol::lol::eek::eek::yes::yes:;)

debra
Nov. 12, 2007, 12:51 PM
Wow, that's so cool!!

PalominoMorgan
Nov. 12, 2007, 01:15 PM
THAT is probably the ONLY time that story will actually ever be true. You know how everyone got bucked off as a kid or knows someone who was going to the Olympics... LOL

VERY COOL story though. :)

Invested1
Nov. 12, 2007, 01:36 PM
I have a similar story---

My sister and her family used to live in Leesburg (Va) and she mentioned to me one day that some guy who lives across the street from her had a horse trailer stop in front of the house for a bit.
Next time I was over at her place, I saw him walk out and it was STEPHEN BRADLEY!!! :eek:

I told my sister and she said, "Who?" :lol:

hey101
Nov. 12, 2007, 03:02 PM

LOL Invested! That was the funniest part to me too- he was just so unaware/ unimpressed that this girl he used to date had made such a "name" for herself. And that he was so unaware that this girl who was "really into jumping and stuff" that might have been doing the same sport I'd just spent 10 minutes explaining, had made it to the Olympics in said sport!

One of my best friends grew up in Unionville and vaguely remembers a kid named "Buck Davidson". Again, singularly unimpressed! ;)

I just laugh. I guess it would be like me standing in line behind a famous basketball player and having no idea. And in fact I once met the kicker of the Philly Eagles, and of course had no idea. It was at a party, and making small talk I asked him "So, what do you do for a living?" :lol::uhoh::p

Invested1
Nov. 12, 2007, 03:12 PM
I guess it would be like me standing in line behind a famous basketball player and having no idea. And in fact I once met the kicker of the Philly Eagles, and of course had no idea. It was at a party, and making small talk I asked him "So, what do you do for a living?" :lol::uhoh::p

Heh--we could be friends. :D

I did the same thing a few months ago--met some guys at a club--turns out they play for the Washington Capitals. Ok. Though one of my friends who is totally into hockey and was not out with us that night was appalled that when the song came on that I had requested, my friends and I said, "Nice to meet you!" and ran off to the dance floor. heh. :lol:

subk
Nov. 12, 2007, 07:54 PM
About ten years ago my husband was a partner in a flight school. Mr. Subk did the books, but it was run on a day to day basis by another guy. One day my husband said some country music guy was taking flying lessons from them but he couldn't remember his name. Turns out it was Alan Jackson.

Mary in Area 1
Nov. 12, 2007, 09:42 PM
Who is Alan Jackson?

pony grandma
Nov. 13, 2007, 12:34 AM
Who is Alan Jackson?

He's a long tall drink of water in a nice pair of cowboy jeans. You probably wouldn't notice his eyes! ;)

Fence2Fence
Nov. 13, 2007, 07:54 AM
Mary doesn't listen to country music, now does she. ;)

http://www.google.com/musica?aid=Ml5xZj1wzRJ&sa=X&oi=music&ct=result

I've one of his dang songs stuck in my head, argh!

snoopy
Nov. 13, 2007, 09:44 AM
[QUOTE=Fence2Fence;2799782]Mary doesn't listen to country music, now does she. ;)

I think perhaps her "name" says it all.....mary in "AREA 1"...last time I checked country music was not ever so popular in the North East.;););)
Don't worry Mary...I am right there with you babe!!:D

Mary in Area 1
Nov. 13, 2007, 10:13 AM
OOH, country music! I have a rule "No country music" in my barn. All that whining makes the horses colic!

Mary in Area 1
Nov. 13, 2007, 10:15 AM
oh, BTW, I wouldn't be all the impressed with Jil Henneberg either. I was at the water when she defied the Capt's orders and tried to be a hero, to our team's deteriment.

snoopy
Nov. 13, 2007, 10:17 AM
OOH, country music! I have a rule "No country music" in my barn. All that whining makes the horses colic!

YEE HAAAAAA!!!!;)
Same in my barn...

NO wrist cutting music...I like to foster a positive atmosphere.;)

And I am constantly battling the big hair thing with my ISH.

Flying Hippotamus
Nov. 13, 2007, 11:10 AM
Gee what else could you ask for in a thread: clueless people meeting our stars AND country music bashing.

Here's mine: I was so excited that Bruce Davidson was coming to one of the horse trials that I run, that I actually told my non-horsey family. I thought maybe my sports-minded brother would at least say - hmm, I heard that name before. But all I got was blank stares. Now I told my mom that I was getting my ESDCTA bronze medal for dressage(which means I made it all the way to Training 4, gee wow- and me a mere babe of 43) and she is all excited.

snoopy
Nov. 13, 2007, 11:13 AM
Gee what else could you ask for in a thread: clueless people meeting our stars AND country music bashing.

Here's mine: I was so excited that Bruce Davidson was coming to one of the horse trials that I run, that I actually told my non-horsey family. I thought maybe my sports-minded brother would at least say - hmm, I heard that name before. But all I got was blank stares. Now I told my mom that I was getting my ESDCTA bronze medal for dressage(which means I made it all the way to Training 4, gee wow- and me a mere babe of 43) and she is all excited.

Hey I am not bashing country music...on the contrary...I mean I HAVE listened to Oliva Newton John before!!!...See I am not all that bad.;)

snoopy
Nov. 13, 2007, 11:21 AM
With out naming names, I went with a dressage trainer friend of mine when he was teaching a clinic at a VERY nice facility in Northern Cal. The owner, who was riding in the clinic as well as hosting it invited me to stay the weekend with my trainer/friend at her house. Part of the clinic was a rather spiffing dinner party. We arrived downstairs a bit late (from getting cleaned up) and as I scanned the room, everyone was dressed nicely except this one very scruffy man. I asked the hostess who the man in the corner was and before she could answer I also said he looks like he could use a hot bath and a wire brush...it was then she laughed and told me it was her husband...who is a band member in The Grateful Dead.:eek:

SandyUHC
Nov. 13, 2007, 11:52 AM
I went for a walk in my mother's new neighborhood and saw a little name plate sign in a front yard that said "David Stackhouse". I asked her if it was THE David Stackhouse and she had no idea so I Googled to find out it was, indeed, the saddle maker. She was not impressed but I told her if he ever had a garage sale to be sure to pick me up a saddle or two.

Misocksgal
Nov. 13, 2007, 01:33 PM
I recently went to a high school reunion with my non-horsey hubby. It was at a very small private school in an equally small Vermont town. I read the list of attendees and saw the name Denny Emerson. I looked at my husband with excitement. "Did you go to school with "the" Denny Emerson?". Blank stare. Turns out they weren't in the same class, but Denny did receive an award earlier in the day. We missed it.

Poor hubby couldn't understand why his eventing daughter became so impressed with his high school.

klc
Nov. 13, 2007, 01:40 PM
About 9 years ago, a good friend was doing her first advanced ht. Her mom was with her, and it was getting close to do her dressage test. Her mom said to her "your next after that old man." To my friends horror, she had to tell her mom to please not talk so loud. That old man was Michael Plumb.

Whisper
Nov. 13, 2007, 01:43 PM
Hey, if it has been years since they dated, and he remembered that she was gearing up for the Olympics, it doesn't seem like he was that unimpressed or didn't think she was good at all. I'm confused! Most non-horsey people don't really understand the distinction between different disciplines - my guy still sometimes gets "vaulting" and "jumping" muddled. It is cool that he dated her, and that they stayed on good terms after they split up though. :D

Janet
Nov. 13, 2007, 02:41 PM
Years ago, I had a boyfriend who was very involved with vintage motorcycles. In fact, he was a national expert on Vincents. So we went to virtually every meeting of the local Vincent Owners Club.

One time he said to me "You'll like this meeting- Justin lives on a farm where they breed horses".

So I thought "OK, they probably have a couple of brood mares".

As we drove in, the farm sign said "Farnley Farm". And "Justin" was Justin Mackay-Smith. He couldn't understand why I got so excited.

NRB
Nov. 13, 2007, 07:12 PM
Once, after I told a non-horsey friend about what I did in eventing he told me about a girl he used to date when he lived in England. He told me about how he walked the Badmitton XC course with her and was so impressed with the size of the fences. And equally impressed with how the girl said that one day she would ride over this course. The girls name? Well I forget her maiden name but it was Mary King.

VicarageVee
Nov. 14, 2007, 06:36 PM
I kind of think this whole thread is silly.
The best thing about being eventers is that we see these really amazing riders everyday in our own barns and at our local shows! It would be like asking for a pro's autograph after you just grabbed them and begged them to hold your horse while you duck into the loo--which, incidentally, I've done on numerous occasions. And, the best thing about eventing is that even a high-point pro wouldn't blow you off--they'd hold that horse and smile when you came rushing back thanking them profusely.

snoopy
Nov. 14, 2007, 06:52 PM
I think the point of the thread is fun coincidence!!! Eventing is hardly in the mainstream and to date someone or bump into someone who is unaware of the acheivements of an ex or an aquaintance is humourous. I do not think many who posted here were star stuck at their encounters.

HurricaneHolly
Nov. 14, 2007, 07:04 PM
This thread is so cute! I have only ever dreamed of actually eventing, so I really act like a little giddy kid when I see BNR at events. Last spring I made plans to be in NC at Easter with my family so that I could go to The Fork. I hung out at the water for a while, glancing at Kim Severson's arm band to make sure it was really her. I mustered up the nerve to ask her if my daughter could take a picture with her. It is a great picture and Kim was very gracious. Of course I sounded like a babbling fool, especially since my six year old chose to be very shy at that moment. It is fun to show off pictures of my daughter and her pony , along with the picture of her and Kim.

Incidently, I teach in the middle school that Jill H. attended.:yes::winkgrin:

NRB
Nov. 14, 2007, 07:20 PM

No no no, the point of this thread is about non horsey people who know Nothing about horses let alone about Eventers brushing up against the great ones and not knowing it.

Sort of like me, eons ago, eating breakfast with my brothers at a Ski Resort out west. They were gaga over some guy sitting near us. Tall, black, athletic looking. My younger bro approached him and asked for his autograph. I asked my mom, who's that? OJ Simpson. My older brother went over and asked for an autograpgh...not from OJ but from the beautiful blond woman sitting with him. Must have been Nicole. I remember OJ laughing at my older brother's attempts.

subk
Nov. 14, 2007, 08:17 PM
Since Mary in Area 1 didn't know Alan Jackson I'll try again with another Nashville story.

Ten, twelve years or so ago my entire family (4 brothers and their wives plus parents) went to a local restaraunt called "Trilogy." It was named after the three women who owned it: Naomi Judd and her daughters Wynonna Judd and Ashley Judd. (Naomi and Wynnona sing a little, Ashley is an actress whose been on the cover of People--if that helps.) All three women were there that night and were working the room going table to table. The sisters-in-law were in a swoon that the Judds were about come and talk to us when my oldest brother said, "Who cares about the Judds. Fred Thompson is sitting in the bar and he could be President someday." I love living in Nashville...

wabadou
Nov. 14, 2007, 08:28 PM
He's a long tall drink of water ...;)

:lol: I haven't heard that wonderful description used in quite a while but it just speaks volumes..!!! :winkgrin:

wabadou
Nov. 14, 2007, 08:32 PM
No no no, the point of this thread is about non horsey people who know Nothing about horses let alone about Eventers brushing up against the great ones and not knowing it.

Sort of like me, eons ago, eating breakfast with my brothers at a Ski Resort out west. They were gaga over some guy sitting near us. Tall, black, athletic looking. My younger bro approached him and asked for his autograph. I asked my mom, who's that? OJ Simpson. My older brother went over and asked for an autograpgh...not from OJ but from the beautiful blond woman sitting with him. Must have been Nicole. I remember OJ laughing at my older brother's attempts.

Oh, wow...how ironic and somehow, creepy is that :eek::eek:??!!

LexInVA
Nov. 14, 2007, 08:45 PM
Oh, wow...how ironic and somehow, creepy is that :eek::eek:??!!

What's ironic is that OJ Simpson was the original choice for the Terminator!

Jazzy Lady
Nov. 14, 2007, 09:21 PM
It's like us Canadians running into NHL players ;) hahaha Most of us went to school with at least 2! :P

cheval80
Nov. 14, 2007, 10:01 PM
I once made a huge blunder in FL at a training session and asked Captain Mark Phillips what he'd accomplished to become so famous! He laughed and I was very quickly told he'd won 4 Badminton's. I was quite embarassed.

snoopy
Nov. 14, 2007, 10:26 PM
Mark does have a good sense of humour about those types of things...

subk
Nov. 14, 2007, 10:34 PM
I once made a huge blunder in FL at a training session and asked Captain Mark Phillips what he'd accomplished to become so famous!
What's so funny, considering the subject of this thread, is that you could turn the tables and tell non horse people that you met this interesting man who taught riding and they'd be excited when they found out you were talking about Princess Anne's ex husband nevermind the horses. Good thing he supposedly has a sense of humor...

pony grandma
Nov. 15, 2007, 01:00 AM
Well, several years back, a lady down the road from us had a friend move here to this area, so she told her that she needed to stop in and meet me b/c she 'liked' horses. Not much that I could help her with learning to ride since I had a backyard of OTTBs at the time. But I invited her in to talk and we made friends.

She worked as an independent contractor weaver for a woman in Lexington KY who designed and sold reproduction historical rag rugs. So she would deliver the rugs when they were finished and pick up new material and design patterns for the next ones. She said that the woman lived on 'one' of the (many, in my mind) horse farms down there. Her husband was the head carpenter at the farm. (p.s who built the whole place bottoms up). So I didn't even bother to ask which one, figuring it was small potatoes and I wouldn't know anyway.

So a few weeks later the conversation came up again and I happened to ask her which farm it was that Harriet lived on. Then she told me Overbrook and I went numb. Having a Storm Bird mare myself, of course I knew what that meant - my next question was 'can I go with you!' She called Harriet and off we went, my two daughters in tow.

So the big gates swung open at our buzz and there we were, all 2,400 immaculately groomed acres. Harriet had arranged for a private tour of the entire farm. We met Storm Cat personally and his groom, one of the many who provide 24 hr surveillance. And the other handsome boys, and the mare and foal barns. Harriet fixed us a wonderful lunch and her employees, at her texillery there on the farm, thanked us for coming (they had gone on the tour with us) b/c THEY had NEVER seen the farm before! One of them had worked there 6-7 yrs.

Moral of the story - never blow off anyone, even the most unassuming little person. Invite them in for coffee and conversation!

ottb
Nov. 15, 2007, 07:52 AM
What's ironic is that OJ Simpson was the original choice for the Terminator!what's ironic is - if he had gotten the autograph, he may have been called as a witness in some Las Vegas hotel armed hold-up trial.:D:lol:

RugBug
Nov. 15, 2007, 11:09 AM
We arrived downstairs a bit late (from getting cleaned up) and as I scanned the room, everyone was dressed nicely except this one very scruffy man. I asked the hostess who the man in the corner was and before she could answer I also said he looks like he could use a hot bath and a wire brush...it was then she laughed and told me it was her husband...who is a band member in The Grateful Dead.:eek:

I think the hostess and her husband recently bought a pony from our barn. :lol:

hey101
Nov. 15, 2007, 11:30 AM
I think the point of the thread is fun coincidence!!! Eventing is hardly in the mainstream and to date someone or bump into someone who is unaware of the acheivements of an ex or an aquaintance is humourous. I do not think many who posted here were star stuck at their encounters.

Exactly! To be honest I wouldn't know Jill Henneberg by sight, but I know her name- and I found it hysterical that my friend dated someone who acheived the pinnacles of my sport, and was only vaguely aware of it. I've warmed up in rings with Bruce and Phillip and did manage to keep myself from fainting out of my saddle. ;) And to most of America, football rules- but I don't even remember the name of the Eagles kicker I met, I just remember that it was the Eagles kicker (met him in 2000, so some football fan on here probably knows who it was!). I am sure he wasn't used to the less-than-fawning interest I showed when I found out what he did- mostly I just needed a new drink because mine was empty- sort of a "oh, you play football? that's cool. Well,nice to meet you, I'm off to the bar! :lol:

sirena_chaucer
Nov. 15, 2007, 02:37 PM
Mark does have a good sense of humour about those types of things...

Ick, double ick.

As for the person who thinks country music is full of whining...have you listened to 'country music' these days? :rolleyes: It's all chirpy and pop-bubbly and YUCK! Give me some good, heartbroken whining any day.

My horses' radio is set to no less than a dozen different stations-including the Vox opera XM station (they seem to prefer Pucini ;)) and 'wrist-cutting' music (good stuff!)...generously interspersed with traditional country and folk. Don't knock it til you've tried it...really tried it.

snoopy
Nov. 15, 2007, 02:41 PM
Don't knock it til you've tried it...really tried it.

PASS! don't think my insurance covers me for THAT much prozac.:D

Janet
Nov. 15, 2007, 02:43 PM
That kind of thing happens all the time.

When I was in grad school, I gave an undergrad I had previously not known a ride from school to his home before Thanksgiving.

It came up in conversation that I was a motorcycle roadracer.

Him: "When I used to live in California I know a guy who raced bikes. Would you know him?"
Me: "Well, I know a few of the racers form Californa, but not a lot of them. What is his name"
Him: "Well I don't think he raced much outside California, so you probably don't know him. His name is Kenny Roberts."
Me: "Oh yes, I know who he is. He has been world champion for several years in a row."

bludini
Nov. 15, 2007, 03:02 PM
Since Mary in Area 1 didn't know Alan Jackson I'll try again with another Nashville story.

Ten, twelve years or so ago my entire family (4 brothers and their wives plus parents) went to a local restaraunt called "Trilogy." It was named after the three women who owned it: Naomi Judd and her daughters Wynonna Judd and Ashley Judd. (Naomi and Wynnona sing a little, Ashley is an actress whose been on the cover of People--if that helps.) All three women were there that night and were working the room going table to table. The sisters-in-law were in a swoon that the Judds were about come and talk to us when my oldest brother said, "Who cares about the Judds. Fred Thompson is sitting in the bar and he could be President someday." I love living in Nashville...

Now THAT's my kinda story....the Judds and Fred Thompson in the same room. WishIcouldabeenthere.

Dressage62
Nov. 15, 2007, 03:09 PM
I was chatting with someone at a horse trial in Great Britain, and they mentioned they went to school with Phillip Dutton.

TNRider
Nov. 15, 2007, 03:19 PM
I grew up in Nashville and went to high school with Reese Witherspoon. To keep it horse-related, Linden Weisman went to school with us, too. They were both 5 or 6 years older, though, and wouldn't know who I was if we ran into each other today. I remember seeing Linden in the cafeteria at lunch time when she was a senior and I was in 7th grade and I'd have on, like a USCTA sweatshirt or something and hope she'd notice and say something to me. I was too intimidated to talk to her.
Speaking of Linden, is she still riding?

TexasTB
Nov. 15, 2007, 03:20 PM
When we went to Rolex in 2006 we were sitting next to a British couple during the Showjumping on Sunday. Well, after all was said and done, they told us they were the owners of Master Monarch, the horse that Andrew Hoy won on:eek:.
I thought that was pretty cool.

subk
Nov. 15, 2007, 03:50 PM
...as I scanned the room, everyone was dressed nicely except this one very scruffy man. I asked the hostess who the man in the corner was and before she could answer I also said he looks like he could use a hot bath and a wire brush...it was then she laughed and told me it was her husband...who is a band member in The Grateful Dead.:eek:
Hot bath and a wire brush is exactly what I thought that the Keith Urban wannabe needed when I was standing next to him at Cracker Barrel. Keith himself is pretty yummy with that unkepmt look on his videos. When Mr. Wannabe spoke to the checkout girl with a lovely Aussy accent I realized he was the real deal and that sexy scruffy look translates to down right dirty when it's 3-D! (Mary in Area 1, Keith Urban is another one of those who sings a little, but you might know him because he's married to Nicole Kidman--She's been on the cover of "People" too.)

To keep it horsey (sorry mods) the two of them have just purchased property in the middle of our local "equine corridor." What is it about having a nice horsey area that is slowly getting taken over by showbiz people?

blackwly
Nov. 15, 2007, 05:58 PM
I grew up in Nashville and went to high school with Reese Witherspoon. To keep it horse-related, Linden Weisman went to school with us, too. They were both 5 or 6 years older, though, and wouldn't know who I was if we ran into each other today. I remember seeing Linden in the cafeteria at lunch time when she was a senior and I was in 7th grade and I'd have on, like a USCTA sweatshirt or something and hope she'd notice and say something to me. I was too intimidated to talk to her.

Hmmmm, well in keeping with the wierd concidences, I also grew up in Nashville and went to school with Linden and Reese at Harpeth Hall. So I guess I went to school with you!

I think I'd be about 2 yrs older than you though...

And actually, I don't know if Linden is still riding? I haven't seen her around in quite some time.

snoopy
Nov. 15, 2007, 06:00 PM
linden is busy working in real estate.

sirena_chaucer
Nov. 15, 2007, 09:26 PM
PASS! don't think my insurance covers me for THAT much prozac.:D

:lol: Touche. :p

allswift
Nov. 15, 2007, 09:48 PM
I was waiting to board a flight home to Raleigh, and noticed a guy with a riding helmet strapped to his carry-on. Turned out it was Will Faudree, and I ended up sitting in the same row as him on the flight.... I just could not get my non-horsey friends to understand what I was so excited about. :p They thought I was bonkers.

It's really a small world out there, guys. :)

piccolittle
Nov. 15, 2007, 10:15 PM
Oh, this past week I flew in from school to spend a week with my horse in Ocala. So I take a limo/shuttle thing into Ocala, and another girl gets dropped off at the Burger King with me. It's really late at night, and while we're both waiting to get picked up we get to talking. Naturally, I ask her if she rides, and she explains that she's visiting friends of a friend who have a farm down there. Turns out she events, and just did her first *** in Holland, but I forget to ask who she's visiting, figuring it's just a friend of hers who has a few horses. But who should get out of the car that pulls up for her? Karen O'Connor.

And all I could do when she asked if I had a ride was mumble unintelligibly. Lord.

snoopy
Nov. 15, 2007, 10:31 PM
:lol: Touche. :p

It's all good my little filly!!!;):D:D:D

redhorse5
Nov. 15, 2007, 10:58 PM
I was at Regionals in Columbus, Ohio several years ago. When I went down to breakfast I noticed that everyone was wearing orange clothing.

When I went back to my room I got into the elevator with two men also dressed in orange. I said, "Hi, What's with the orange clothing?'. The older man answered that it was football. I asked if it was a local high school event and he said "Oh, NOOO, we're from Texas and here to play Ohio State. This is the most important football game in the country!! Even the President is here!"

I said I wished them luck. The older man was incredulous that I didn't know anything about it. I told him that as I was eating breakfast I surmised that this was either a Home Depot convention or a family reunion for descendants of William of Orange.

When I got back to my room I turned on the TV and discovered that I had been speaking with the coach of the Texas Longhorns. Later my husband found through a series of emails that the "coach" was using the elevator story in all of his luncheon speaking engagements that week.

ellebeaux
Nov. 15, 2007, 11:05 PM
This is a great thread, I'm getting a lot of laughs out of this.

And as Buckeye and daughter of two Buckeyes (my dad played football under Woody Hayes), I can relate to the above post. Every Saturday in the fall Mom hangs the Ohio State flag off the porch. I just yawn and ask is there a game today?

Reynard Ridge
Nov. 16, 2007, 06:27 AM
Exactly! To be honest I wouldn't know Jill Henneberg by sight,

Nor I, and yet I owned for a long time what were ostensibly a pair of her chaps. :lol: To make a longish story short, she used to date a psuedo-BNR in my area. I kept my horse in the same barn he kept a bunch of his. The barn had a tack sale and (long after he and she were no longer dating) he dug these rather small chaps out of his tack truck and put them up for sale.

They fit me like a glove and I paid something like ten bucks for them. It was later pointed out to me their most likely origin. :lol: I recently gave them away on the giveaway section of CoTH. To a h/j rider who had never heard of Jill. :no:

So ... the chaps live on, alas, her legacy and attachment to them, not so much. :winkgrin:

Reynard Ridge
Nov. 16, 2007, 06:37 AM
My Captain Mark story. I was fencing judging at the water at Essex, a million years ago when there was still an Essex and one less empty golf course in NJ (:cry:).

Horse on course, people in the way, a herd of people,
so I did what any twenty something with an attitude and a whistle would do - I jumped up from my lawn chair and started whistling and waving at them. In a most officious manner. :lol:

The area steward sidled over to and whispered in my ear, "I think the Captain and his entourage will get out of the way in time." :o

I sat down and put the whistle away. :lol:

Xctrygirl
Nov. 17, 2007, 06:45 AM

Working in Real Estate I knew prior to her getting married this past summer to Colvin, Gregg Ryan, the leading amateur steeplechase jockey in America.

Not sire if she is still doing it full time. Caught up by phone a little while back. Ask
"InVA" she knows.

~Emily

ShowMeTheGlory
Nov. 17, 2007, 01:17 PM
I was working for a Grand Prix dressage rider last year, and one day she mentioned that someone was coming to look at her barn to see some of the work the construction company that built it had done. I asked her who it was and she said, "I don't know, Gretchen somebody, she owns racehorses." And who should come walking into the barn, Gretchen Jackson!

olympicprincess
Nov. 17, 2007, 04:28 PM
What's so funny, considering the subject of this thread, is that you could turn the tables and tell non horse people that you met this interesting man who taught riding and they'd be excited when they found out you were talking about Princess Anne's ex husband nevermind the horses. Good thing he supposedly has a sense of humor... That's ALL my Mom kept talking about at Equine Affaire the year he was there. :rolleyes: :lol:
I was there to see a clinic.... all she kept saying was (nudge, nudge) "He was married to Princess Anne... A PRINCESS!! Can you believe it? ..."
Got it Mom.

One Star
Nov. 18, 2007, 08:30 PM
Last week I had a doctor's appointment, and the nurse was taking my medical history before the doc came in. She was new to the practice, and didn't know my back story and asked me what kind of exercise I got. I told her that I trained and competed in eventing, and then started to explain about horse sports, thinking she was clueless, when she suddenly said, "Oh, I know what eventing is. Do you know who Beezie Madden is?" I said, "Of course, how do you know that name?"

"Well, my sister is one of Beezie's grooms, the one who takes care of Authentic." :eek:

When my doctor came into the exam room, she couldn't understand why I was so thrilled with her new nurse. "Beezie who?" :lol:

nirvana002
Nov. 19, 2007, 12:35 AM
oh, BTW, I wouldn't be all the impressed with Jil Henneberg either. I was at the water when she defied the Capt's orders and tried to be a hero, to our team's deteriment.

Well..at least I am in good company with Alan Jackson. Thanks Sophie!

AppJumpr08
Nov. 19, 2007, 01:29 AM
[QUOTE=Fence2Fence;2799782]Mary doesn't listen to country music, now does she. ;)

I think perhaps her "name" says it all.....mary in "AREA 1"...last time I checked country music was not ever so popular in the North East.;););)
Don't worry Mary...I am right there with you babe!!:D

Late to the party, but have to ask: Are you SERIOUS?!?!?! Have you spent any time in the north east?? *snork* I have been at more then one wedding reception held in an Elks Lodge/Eagles Club/American Legion/ etc where there was more country music played then you could ever imagine... Honestly. wedding party members have sung karoke along with songs that *wern't* karoke tracks at those things... as long as they were country songs, they were good!! hehe

There is a huge population of rednecks and hicks in the north east (of which I happen to be one)... how could Country music NOT be popular?? :eek::eek::lol::lol:

Reynard Ridge
Nov. 19, 2007, 04:12 AM
Well..at least I am in good company with Alan Jackson.

Come back! Come back! Were they really your chaps or not??!!? :lol:

snoopy
Nov. 19, 2007, 05:36 AM
[QUOTE=AppJumpr08;2812966][QUOTE=snoopy;2800025]

Late to the party, but have to ask: Are you SERIOUS?!?!?! Have you spent any time in the north east??

There is a huge population of rednecks and hicks in the north east (of which I happen to be one)... QUOTE]

yes I have "spent time"....
As for the population of rednecks and hicks....that could explain it:

there does not seem to be any in the places I have been too. I will have to put them on my "things to see" list...and of course buy a flannel shirt and cowboy boots.

Laurel&HollyFarm
Nov. 19, 2007, 09:23 AM

Hmmmm, well in keeping with the wierd concidences, I also grew up in Nashville and went to school with Linden and Reese at Harpeth Hall. So I guess I went to school with you!

I think I'd be about 2 yrs older than you though...

And actually, I don't know if Linden is still riding? I haven't seen her around in quite some time.

Here's another weird coincidence, You both were probably taught by my brother in law, Tad Wert :D. I once met Linden and she was so cute. She wanted to make sure that Tad knew she had made it to the Olympics :lol:. He was forever getting after her for missing classes to go to competitions.

hey101
Nov. 19, 2007, 12:05 PM

yeah, seriously! Are you still single? Do you want my new friend's/ your ex's current contact info?! He's still single...:D Course, he's in Cali and you are (apparently) in Florida, but... details. :lol: (he's a super-sweet guy by the way, very cute, athletic, outdoorsy... doesn't ride of course, but obviously he has at least heard of eventing! Which gives him a leg up on lots of other guys out there. ;))

TNRider
Nov. 19, 2007, 12:33 PM
Here's another weird coincidence, You both were probably taught by my brother in law, Tad Wert . I once met Linden and she was so cute. She wanted to make sure that Tad knew she had made it to the Olympics . He was forever getting after her for missing classes to go to competitions.

I did indeed have Tad Wert, for Pre-Cal I think, as did all three of my sisters. I think I remember him having a poster in his classroom that said, "Envision Whirled Peas" or something like that. He was a great teacher. I wonder if he's still there?

Laurel&HollyFarm
Nov. 19, 2007, 12:52 PM
I did indeed have Tad Wert, for Pre-Cal I think, as did all three of my sisters. I think I remember him having a poster in his classroom that said, "Envision Whirled Peas" or something like that. He was a great teacher. I wonder if he's still there?

He is indeed and his daughter Millie is a student there now as well. Thanks for the compliment. I thought he was probably a great teacher. He is incredibly smart and nice.

nirvana002
Nov. 26, 2007, 01:07 AM

I was wondering for years where those chaps went..at least it was to good use! ha! I am going to say missing chaps+them coming up for sale= they were really my chaps.

Jill

nirvana002
Nov. 26, 2007, 01:10 AM
yeah, seriously! Are you still single? Do you want my new friend's/ your ex's current contact info?! He's still single...:D Course, he's in Cali and you are (apparently) in Florida, but... details. :lol: (he's a super-sweet guy by the way, very cute, athletic, outdoorsy... doesn't ride of course, but obviously he has at least heard of eventing! Which gives him a leg up on lots of other guys out there. ;))

Curiously...who are we talking about? I think I have an idea. OH...memories!!!

AppJumpr08
Nov. 26, 2007, 01:23 AM
A bit in this vein.. My grandmother called me today to tell me that a friend of hers has a son who "has been riding for awhile" - she thought that perhaps since I have a constantly rotating group of horses in my barn I might want to talk with him to do some networking. His name? "Oh, perhaps you've heard of him... his name is Tad Coffin" :eek::lol:

hey101
Nov. 26, 2007, 01:32 AM
AppJumper- that's awesome!

Nirvana- will PM you info! ;)

Reynard Ridge
Nov. 26, 2007, 01:37 AM
I was wondering for years where those chaps went..at least it was to good use! ha! I am going to say missing chaps+them coming up for sale= they were really my chaps.

Jill

:no: Bloody shame. I just gave them away six months ago. I would have happily sent them back to you. Nice chaps and they were still in great shape.

AppJumpr08
Nov. 26, 2007, 01:55 AM
hey101 - I thought it was pretty cool! I certainly won't call him about my random OTTB collection, but it would be neat to meet a legend :)

BigRuss1996
Nov. 26, 2007, 07:27 AM
AppJumpr...actually if you get in any NICE ones you should call him...he could help you find buyers. He is really nice and very normal...you of ALL people shouldn't be starstruck!!!! ha ha ha.

hey101 - I thought it was pretty cool! I certainly won't call him about my random OTTB collection, but it would be neat to meet a legend :)

AppJumpr08
Nov. 26, 2007, 07:48 AM
AppJumpr...actually if you get in any NICE ones you should call him...he could help you find buyers. He is really nice and very normal...you of ALL people shouldn't be starstruck!!!! ha ha ha.

Well, I don't *currently* have any that I'd call Bruce about... so I'm figuring that Tad wouldn't be interested either :lol::lol: Maybe in the spring, when the couple nice onces I have aren't so wild and woolly :winkgrin:

It's funny, I've met so many ULRs and never turned a hair ... but somehow calling one that I've never met before out of the clear blue sky just doesn't seem the same.. At least not Tad Coffin! hehe Maybe I should call him about my big grey boy who took Bruce's fences apart? ? :)

BigRuss1996
Nov. 26, 2007, 08:07 AM
Who... the one who got dubbed "That damn horse" . ha ha ha.......Took them apart?? Ha ha ha.... He Jumped!! well and actually to give him credit he also was the one who learned to go through the people pass through panel down by his house. Took a while to figure out how all those hoof prints were getting in the lawn all around the house! LOL ha ha ha ha!!! Thanks... I had forgotten about that!

hehe Maybe I should call him about my big grey boy who took Bruce's fences apart? ? :)

AppJumpr08
Nov. 26, 2007, 09:20 AM
Who... the one who got dubbed "That damn horse" . ha ha ha.......Took them apart?? Ha ha ha.... He Jumped!! well and actually to give him credit he also was the one who learned to go through the people pass through panel down by his house. Took a while to figure out how all those hoof prints were getting in the lawn all around the house! LOL ha ha ha ha!!! Thanks... I had forgotten about that!

YUP! That'd be him!!!! :D:D:D
hehehe he's too smart for his own good... he pulls my fenceposts out of the ground all the time...

I'll never forget Bruce on the phone in his most irritated voice : "he needs to go to work!!" lol
He's just so cute...and such a puke all at the same time :):)

myboyludy
Nov. 26, 2007, 10:52 AM
The best thing about being eventers is that we see these really amazing riders everyday in our own barns and at our local shows! It would be like asking for a pro's autograph after you just grabbed them and begged them to hold your horse while you duck into the loo--which, incidentally, I've done on numerous occasions. And, the best thing about eventing is that even a high-point pro wouldn't blow you off--they'd hold that horse and smile when you came rushing back thanking them profusely.

I think you have no sense of humor.. They arent saying they had stars in their eyes they just had to giggle.
Like the time I took my retired event horse(who went advanced not with me) to plantation and Bruce davidson walked up and told me that I better take care of his Pride horse. Turns out that the women I bought him from had bought him from Bruce as a 4 yr. He was actually belonged to his sister. When he was a little horse doing rolex and what not bruce taught his lessons and would always call out when pride was in the winner circle "Hey Debbie, Ill buy him back from ya now!" LOL

olympicdreams04
Nov. 26, 2007, 11:13 AM
Okay, since Bruce has come up on this thread, I have a GREAT Bruce story. So three...maybe 4 years ago, I had just arrived to Ocala for the winter and the place that I had arranged to stay had given away my stalls!!! Drove up, got ready to unload horses, was turned away alone in Ocala with horses on the trailer. I made a couple of calls and found a pasture to put them in for a very temporary arrangement. Bright and early the next morning, I set off driving around Ocala looking in every tack shop and feed store for a place to board. It took me two or three days, but exhausted all options as most were NOT affordable (that's a big surprise!) and resorted to just driving around and stopping by farms with jumps and big fields. Someone had sent me in the general direction of Green Acres but had been less than accurate as far as directions. So I'm driving around on 225A, took a L past where I should have turned to Green Acres and just kept driving. I get to the end of said rd and see a field littered with all sorts of jumps and think 'BINGO!'. So I pull up, wonder around until I find someone and say that I am in dire need of boarding. This person, who turned out to be Suzy, directs me to the house to speak with 'Bruce'. Only then do I put two and two together...all the jumps, the truck with Supracore plastered on the side, all the red and yellow everywhere. I stand there dumbstruck for a second and then proceed to the house where the most wonderful Bruce insists that I bring my horses over immediately. Talk about some dumb luck!

clivers
Nov. 27, 2007, 08:59 PM
Okay, since Bruce has come up on this thread, I have a GREAT Bruce story. So three...maybe 4 years ago, I had just arrived to Ocala for the winter and the place that I had arranged to stay had given away my stalls!!! Drove up, got ready to unload horses, was turned away alone in Ocala with horses on the trailer. I made a couple of calls and found a pasture to put them in for a very temporary arrangement. Bright and early the next morning, I set off driving around Ocala looking in every tack shop and feed store for a place to board. It took me two or three days, but exhausted all options as most were NOT affordable (that's a big surprise!) and resorted to just driving around and stopping by farms with jumps and big fields. Someone had sent me in the general direction of Green Acres but had been less than accurate as far as directions. So I'm driving around on 225A, took a L past where I should have turned to Green Acres and just kept driving. I get to the end of said rd and see a field littered with all sorts of jumps and think 'BINGO!'. So I pull up, wonder around until I find someone and say that I am in dire need of boarding. This person, who turned out to be Suzy, directs me to the house to speak with 'Bruce'. Only then do I put two and two together...all the jumps, the truck with Supracore plastered on the side, all the red and yellow everywhere. I stand there dumbstruck for a second and then proceed to the house where the most wonderful Bruce insists that I bring my horses over immediately. Talk about some dumb luck!

Love that story! Talk about lemons into lemonade!

J. Turner
Nov. 27, 2007, 09:40 PM
I was working for a Grand Prix dressage rider last year, and one day she mentioned that someone was coming to look at her barn to see some of the work the construction company that built it had done. I asked her who it was and she said, "I don't know, Gretchen somebody, she owns racehorses." And who should come walking into the barn, Gretchen Jackson!

Now that would be cool. I would be honored to meet Gretchen Jackson.

flyingtails
Nov. 27, 2007, 10:07 PM
Heh--we could be friends. :D

I did the same thing a few months ago--met some guys at a club--turns out they play for the Washington Capitals. Ok. Though one of my friends who is totally into hockey and was not out with us that night was appalled that when the song came on that I had requested, my friends and I said, "Nice to meet you!" and ran off to the dance floor. heh. :lol:
:eek:
I'm suprised your ran off. I've met some of the Caps boys and they're super cute! Now I'm as die hard an eventer as any, but given the lack of single, straight males under 40 running around the lowe levels, I will take a night out with the caps, given that I'm probably in the middle of DC and there is not a horse to be found for miles.... lol Just out of curiostiy where were you? I bartend in Georgetown, but they don't come to my bar that often, bummer... ;)

flyingtails
Nov. 27, 2007, 10:25 PM
So this a little off the track, but its still freacky how that whole small world, six degrees of separation thing works. My indirect boss, the head chef at the restaurant where I work, was talking to me about horses one day, and mentioned that his sister (in law) is apprenticing with some guy that "does, what do you call that?... uh... nails the things to the... Paul er... Paul something our near Berryville"

Me: YOU MEAN PAUL GOODNESS?

Chef: Yeah I think thats the guy.

Me: he is like the Woldgang Puck of the horseshoeing world around here!!! He shoes OLYMPIC EVENTERS HORSES!!!

Chef: oh... Cool!

flyingtails
Nov. 27, 2007, 10:33 PM

By luck I wound up at a party for Sinckersville Hounds here in Middleburg at Linden and Greg's house. Lindend just got married and her husband has recently become a Master with the hunt. She is not riding or training competitively but just having riding and hunting. I spend a good ten minutes staring at the big poster of her at the Olympics hanging in the living room. She was a fun and gracious hostess and amused me with a story of her **** horse that used to gallop with his head practically between his legs. He is now a whip with Orange Country Hounds. :)

TwoArabs
Nov. 28, 2007, 09:23 AM
Okay, I've got two stories one horsey, one not.

First, a couple of years ago a childhood friend was visiting from PA. A couple of horsey friends were here and we were talking racehoreses. The childhood friend asked who was Secretariat. I was amazed that ANYONE didn't know who Secretariat was.

Second, last April I had surgrery in Baltimore and was staying with a friends aunt in Annapolis between surgeries. My head was shaved and I wasn't feeling too good. I was laying on the coach in the family room when the back door opened and a deep male voice yelled, Mom. I'm home. It was Bill Belichick. He truly is a nice man. Later that night he went out to get me pain meds. (For thse of you not into football, he is the head coach of the New England Patriots)

Invested1
Nov. 28, 2007, 02:12 PM
:eek:
I'm suprised your ran off. I've met some of the Caps boys and they're super cute! Now I'm as die hard an eventer as any, but given the lack of single, straight males under 40 running around the lowe levels, I will take a night out with the caps, given that I'm probably in the middle of DC and there is not a horse to be found for miles.... lol Just out of curiostiy where were you? I bartend in Georgetown, but they don't come to my bar that often, bummer... ;)

What, my song came on! :lol:
Actually, after a couple drinks, my attention span is pretty limited. I don't recall them being overly interesting or talking about anything other than hockey (sound familiar horseladies??). :winkgrin:

It was at Mr. Days in Clarendon--the Caps had apparently won a game that day/night and were out celebrating. They were all in suits. It was a little weird. :D

Where do you bartend??

JER
Nov. 28, 2007, 02:36 PM
My head was shaved and I wasn't feeling too good. I was laying on the coach in the family room when the back door opened and a deep male voice yelled, Mom. I'm home. It was Bill Belichick.

I assume you meant to say "I was laying on the couch." :D

snoopy
Nov. 28, 2007, 02:44 PM
I assume you meant to say "I was laying on the couch." :D

JER: BRILLIANT that you caught that....!!!!:D:D:D:D:D and how funny the guy was a couch....ooops...a coach!

Poor thing...no writing but proof reading is allowed!!!!

hunter-eventer-hunter
Nov. 28, 2007, 05:09 PM
My brother lives in Southern Pines, and I was having breakfast at this May Street Market, next to the feed store, and who walks in but Mike Plumb! My sister in law who works in the town knows him from her store, he walked over, talked, etc.

I was like 'do you know who that is' and she was like 'a horse guy'. She is cyclist and I said 'that is like Eddie Mercx' just walking into your local haunt.

I would move to Southern Pines in a second....great horse town. I got a Harrods of London braiding kit at the second hand tack store above the feed store!

Sandy M
Nov. 28, 2007, 05:29 PM
That's ALL my Mom kept talking about at Equine Affaire the year he was there. :rolleyes: :lol:
I was there to see a clinic.... all she kept saying was (nudge, nudge) "He was married to Princess Anne... A PRINCESS!! Can you believe it? ..."
Got it Mom.

ROFLOL. And my comment always was, "He's been married to a Princess all these years, and he's still just a CAPTAIN??" ;0)

JER
Nov. 28, 2007, 05:36 PM
She is cyclist and I said 'that is like Eddie Mercx' just walking into your local haunt.

I'm nitpicking now: Eddy Merckx.

(I -- and everybody else in Belgium -- watched him go by in his last Tour in 1977. Lance Armstrong isn't fit to carry his shoes.)

hunter-eventer-hunter
Nov. 28, 2007, 06:57 PM
I'm nitpicking now: Eddy Merckx.

(I -- and everybody else in Belgium -- watched him go by in his last Tour in 1977. Lance Armstrong isn't fit to carry his shoes.)

Nit-pick away. I am a really terrible speller. I always feel that my posts should come with a spelling disclaimer.

As far as Lance goes, he is either the greatest cheat in spots history or the athlete most robbed of his just dues-and we will never know.

Laurel&HollyFarm
Nov. 28, 2007, 10:21 PM
Nit-pick away. I am a really terrible speller. I always feel that my posts should come with a spelling disclaimer.

As far as Lance goes, he is either the greatest cheat in spots history or the athlete most robbed of his just dues-and we will never know.

Not to be too off topic but I am lost about the Lance comments. Was there something taken away from all his wins? His side kick George Hincapy (sp?) lives here in Greenville, SC. Actually he is building a biker village near here.

LexInVA
Nov. 28, 2007, 10:56 PM
Not to be too off topic but I am lost about the Lance comments. Was there something taken away from all his wins? His side kick George Hincapy (sp?) lives here in Greenville, SC. Actually he is building a biker village near here.

He inconclusively tested positive for performance enhancing drugs. The French national lab that did the tests has always been controversial as they have screwed up many tests and sample gatherings including ones in the equestrian world. There have been statements by former employees of his that give credibility to the belief that he has used performance enhancing drugs but there has been no concrete proof that he was using anything illegal. He has an enlarged heart and recent studies suggest his cancer actually improved his performance due to the body altering it's chemical balance after his cancerous testicle was removed.

Laurel&HollyFarm
Nov. 28, 2007, 11:12 PM
He inconclusively tested positive for performance enhancing drugs. The French national lab that did the tests has always been controversial as they have screwed up many tests and sample gatherings including ones in the equestrian world. There have been statements by former employees of his that give credibility to the belief that he has used performance enhancing drugs but there has been no concrete proof that he was using anything illegal. He has an enlarged heart and recent studies suggest his cancer actually improved his performance due to the body altering it's chemical balance after his cancerous testicle was removed.

Thank you. Very good explanation.

hey101
Nov. 28, 2007, 11:23 PM
So my mom comes home one day (I'm in high school at the time) and says something along the lines of "I met a jockey today in line at the mall. Boy are they short (says my 5-foot-nuthin mom! :lol:)
I was interested because it was horse-related, and ask who it was.

"Chris somebody. McCannon?"

"You met Chris McCarron in line at the mall?!!??"

"Yeah, that's it. McCarron".

"Mom, he's only the jockey that rode my second-favorite racehorse EVER (Secretariat being the first of course!). He almost won the Triple Crown! (Damn that Bet Twice)."

"Uh, Oh. OK."

hey101
Nov. 28, 2007, 11:24 PM
I believe Lance.

Still on the fence about Floyd. But I'd like to believe him.

Dannie0303
Nov. 28, 2007, 11:27 PM
Ok so I'm from h/j world but I crossed over to eventing land for this thread :)

So when I was about 6 years old I was at a little local show in my town. I couldn't figure out why all of the adults were all gaga over my friend Teddy-Jo's dad so I walked up and asked him who I was. On my way home I told my mom "oh I met some guy named John Mellencamp today". She almost drove off the road. :lol:

JER
Nov. 29, 2007, 01:32 AM
My original comment on Lance was that he wasn't fit to carry Eddy Merckx shoes. I was talking about actual cycling, not drugs. Eddy raced to win and won everything -- 5 Tours, 5 Vueltas, 1 Giro, 3 Paris-Roubaix, 3 World Championships, 525 career wins. He would have won a 6th tour but he was attacked by a French fan mid-Tour and finished the race with a bruised liver and broken jaw. In his first Tour, he won all the jerseys -- yellow (overall), green (sprinter) and polka-dot (climber). He was always a fierce competitor and he really was that good.

Along the way, Eddy had two positive dope tests.

Cycling has never been a clean sport and is most certainly not a clean sport now. This is a simple matter of fact. If someone is a professional cyclist riding at the very elite level, they are pedaling on an enhanced blood supply.

Painted1
Nov. 29, 2007, 04:04 PM
I worked at an eventing facility and one of the boarders is a vet, I guess for some pretty high class customers. But, any ways, this girl was pretty good friends with Phillip Dutton and he'd come frequently to give her lessons or to ride her TB. All of us barn girls would get all giggly as we watched. But we never really had a full fledged conversation with him, we were too giggly because he's absolutely gorgeous with the most beautiful accent ever! (BTW, Phillip Dutton also came frequently to school the xc course.)

Well, my fiance (who isn't really horse savvy but you'd be amazed at how much he's learning) happened to come out one day while Phillip Dutton was there so he could work on a tractor. I guess they got into a conversation (and of course he couldn't recall exactly what they talked about in detail!) and I walked into the indoor and watched in amazement. When Phillip went back to teaching, I pulled my fiance aside and was like "ohmygod, ohmygod - what'd he say, what'd he say?" My fiance was so confused and must have thought I had some crazy crush on this gorgeous guy... and he asked me what got me so wound up, so I explained how reknown he is and successful and awesome, and all he said was "huh" and went back to work! He told me when he got home later (I left before he was finished) that they got to talking again and he told him "Well I really don't know what to say to you now and all because I didn't know you were famous before." He said Phillip laughed, but what the heck!

WHAT A DOPE! I could have a killed him.

subk
Nov. 29, 2007, 09:37 PM
I got one that isn't country music related this time--even Mary will know this one without hints!

A friend of mine who foxhunts and events has an exceptionally beautiful farm not far from me. Her husband collects antique buildings (yes, that right buildings.) Years ago they bought an ante-bellum house, dismantled it, moved it 30 or so miles to their farm and rebuilt it. It's fabulous and looks like it's been there forever--well, 200 years anyway--like the cantilevered barn...

One day there was a knock at the kitchen door and one of her friends was at the door with another woman. Her friend said she was sorry she didn't call first but she would really like her weekend house guest to see how fabulous the house and farm was. Can you imagine what you would do if Martha Stewart showed up at your backdoor to see YOUR house unannounced?!

"Martha Stewart's Living" ended up doing an entertainment feature at the farm. They designed, orchestrated, and photographed my friends next birthday party.

snoopy
Nov. 29, 2007, 09:42 PM
I got one that isn't country music related this time--even Mary will know this one without hints!

A friend of mine who foxhunts and events has an exceptionally beautiful farm not far from me. Her husband collects antique buildings (yes, that right buildings.) Years ago they bought an ante-bellum house, dismantled it, moved it 30 or so miles to their farm and rebuilt it. It's fabulous and looks like it's been there forever--well, 200 years anyway--like the cantilevered barn...

One day there was a knock at the kitchen door and one of her friends was at the door with another woman. Her friend said she was sorry she didn't call first but she would really like her weekend house guest to see how fabulous the house and farm was. Can you imagine what you would do if Martha Stewart showed up at your backdoor to see YOUR house unannounced?!

"Martha Stewart's Living" ended up doing an entertainment feature at the farm. They designed, orchestrated, and photographed my friends next birthday party.

Now THAT is too "cha cha" for words!!! You can bet your ass that woman would have to cook me a hot meal for showing up at my house unannounced.
Martha, if you are here, my pots and pans are at your disposal!!!:D

Nigel
Nov. 29, 2007, 09:57 PM
Ok so I'm from h/j world but I crossed over to eventing land for this thread :)

So when I was about 6 years old I was at a little local show in my town. I couldn't figure out why all of the adults were all gaga over my friend Teddy-Jo's dad so I walked up and asked him who I was. On my way home I told my mom "oh I met some guy named John Mellencamp today". She almost drove off the road. :lol:

Funny thing...When I did h/j a long time ago, Teddy-Jo and I rode with the same trainer. Would I know you by any chance?:lol:

hunter-eventer-hunter
Nov. 30, 2007, 08:00 AM
they are pedaling on an enhanced blood supply.

Funny...is that what I call it when I take a shot of something before a dressage test to take the nerves off?

How much vodka does it take to show up on a drug test anyway...

Hilary
Nov. 30, 2007, 08:46 AM
These are old, but back in the mid-70s there was a local event that attracted all the big names, and our Pony Club had to volunteer. My brother was 6 at the time and met a guy walking the XC course. Guy was wearing a hat just like my friend Susie's hat. Susie had lost her hat that day and my brother marches up to the guy and asks him where he got his hat because his sister's friend Susie had lost hers.

The guy was Tad Coffin and all us girls were about 9 and TOTALLY gaga over him. We couldn't believe my brother had not just talked to him, but accused him of stealing a hat. Much shrieking ensued.

The last event they held at Ledyard was a big deal because they had all levels and one of my friends went - she was probably about 11, and when she went to bridle her horse, it was horribly tangled - she'd taken it apart, and hadn't gotten it back together propertly - a figure - 8 noseband.

As she's getting more and more wound up because she can't figure out her bridle, a guy walks past and asks what's wrong. Picture a little girl tearfully holding up a giant mess of leather and saying "I can't figure it out and I have to ride in 10 minutes!". He comes back with a bridle and says, here, use mine, and fits it to her horse. They find out later the guy was Mike Plumb.

TNRider
Nov. 30, 2007, 10:06 AM
Subk, is that MB's place on Old Hillsboro. Just sounds like that's who you're talking about. If so, how cool! I hadn't heard that. Has it been in one of her magazines or anything yet?

ravenclaw
Nov. 30, 2007, 11:34 AM
I have one to share! A friend of mine is a small animal vet. When he was in vet school, he took a couple of large animal classes which included rotations in the large animal emergency room.

One night when my friend was working, a guy brought his horse in. The vet and vet students that were working that night treated the horse. After a while, another vet student came in for her shift. She took one look at the guy who brought the horse in and got all starry-eyed because it was John Lyons. The vet and other students said "Who?"

Turns out he was in town for a clinic or something. My friend said JL is really nice and low-key. He just stood back and let the vets do their job.

flyingtails
Dec. 5, 2007, 02:05 PM
What, my song came on! :lol:
Actually, after a couple drinks, my attention span is pretty limited. I don't recall them being overly interesting or talking about anything other than hockey (sound familiar horseladies??). :winkgrin:

It was at Mr. Days in Clarendon--the Caps had apparently won a game that day/night and were out celebrating. They were all in suits. It was a little weird. :D

Where do you bartend??

At an upscale Italian restaurant/bar in Georgetown, but I do dow to Clarendon from time to time... Sorry to be off topic.

I would think the hockey guys would understand eventers. Its that whole all or nothing guts and glory thing. And no one really understand how much finesse it takes till you do it...

breakthru
Dec. 7, 2007, 09:26 AM
I was hosting a christmas party last year for a bunch of grad student friends, and one of them, spotting a picture of me running XC on my old guy says "Hey, what kind of riding is that? Eventing?" and I, of course, was surprised and told him yes. He says "yeah... my sister in law's dad (Not sure if this was the exact family relation) does that, or did that..." Ok, "cool" I say, and then as an afterthought ask "what was his name?" And he says "oh, I forget his first name... something wofford?" 'JAMES WOFFORD?" "yeah, that's it." I had to pull out a couple issues of Practical Horseman and COTH for him to understand why I was laughing so hard.

Janet
Dec. 7, 2007, 10:32 AM
As some of you know, my "other" sport is road racing - see my earlier post on this thread.

At one point, Charlie Plumb was a roadracer, and was entered in the CCS races at Daytona - a "big deal" race for the non-pros. I don't remember exactly how it came up, but we were dscussing this on the "race list". (I was NOT the only eventer on the race list- there is more crossover than you might think.)

Some guy posts something like- "O yeh, I knew Charlie Plumb in prep school. He said his father rode in the Olympics but I didn't believe him."

But he didn't stay in racing very long.

Prissy Tomboy
Dec. 10, 2007, 09:40 PM
My mother and I both help run the SJ warm up at the Carolina Horse Park and we have worked with Gretchen Butts several times when she was a TD. My mother and I knew her as the TD that wore pearls to events. My mother went to introduce Gretchen to our trainer and our trainer exclaimed "The Gretchen Butts who rode Zydeco?!" and my mother goes "Um, shes the TD that wears pearls..." :lol:

LAZ
Dec. 10, 2007, 10:53 PM
As some of you know, my "other" sport is road racing - see my earlier post on this thread.

At one point, Charlie Plumb was a roadracer, and was entered in the CCS races at Daytona - a "big deal" race for the non-pros. I don't remember exactly how it came up, but we were dscussing this on the "race list". (I was NOT the only eventer on the race list- there is more crossover than you might think.)

Some guy posts something like- "O yeh, I knew Charlie Plumb in prep school. He said his father rode in the Olympics but I didn't believe him."

But he didn't stay in racing very long.

Janet,

My "other sport" is also road racing, I grew up in a racing family, ran a race shop and raced Formula Vee's and Formula Fords for a while.

I hooked back up with an old racing boyfriend in 2004, and while I was at Fairhill with Jenna, stabled next to Holly and Charlie my boyfriend was shooting photos at a race out west where Charlie's brothers were driving. I thought that was a really strange coincidence!

It's a small world!

oskaar
Dec. 10, 2007, 11:11 PM
I was living in Charlotte when the Convention was held there, and my aunt drove up from Atlanta to hang out. She is a sometimes horse person, and has been to Badminton, Radnor, North Georgia, etc.

I took her with me to meet up with my sometimes NC coach so we could plan my spring schedule, and CMP bought our table a round of drinks. As we left to go to dinner, my aunt turned and said, "do we need to give that old man some money for our drinks?"

I was all, I think he's got it covered.

My Captain Mark story. I was fencing judging at the water at Essex, a million years ago when there was still an Essex and one less empty golf course in NJ (:cry:).

Horse on course, people in the way, a herd of people,
so I did what any twenty something with an attitude and a whistle would do - I jumped up from my lawn chair and started whistling and waving at them. In a most officious manner. :lol:

The area steward sidled over to and whispered in my ear, "I think the Captain and his entourage will get out of the way in time." :o

I sat down and put the whistle away. :lol:

Janet
Dec. 11, 2007, 01:02 AM
Janet,

My "other sport" is also road racing, I grew up in a racing family, ran a race shop and raced Formula Vee's and Formula Fords for a while.

I hooked back up with an old racing boyfriend in 2004, and while I was at Fairhill with Jenna, stabled next to Holly and Charlie my boyfriend was shooting photos at a race out west where Charlie's brothers were driving. I thought that was a really strange coincidence!

It's a small world!
I should have clarified- by "Roadracing" I meant "Motorcycle Roadracing". But lots of similarities.

yventer
Dec. 11, 2007, 07:26 PM
I don't know if this counts, but when I was a junior, oh so many years ago, I rode a 4th level dressage test in front of some foreign guy named Bengt Lundquist ;->. We got a 49 something. In my defense, I was like 17 and had gotten there without a trainer on a H/J reject. I still have the test somewhere :->

Yvonne

InVA
Dec. 11, 2007, 07:38 PM

Were you a HOney BEAR or a Honey CUB???? haha!
Linden is a good pal of mine! haha!

Wellspotted
Dec. 11, 2007, 07:51 PM
About 9 years ago, a good friend was doing her first advanced ht. Her mom was with her, and it was getting close to do her dressage test. Her mom said to her "your next after that old man." To my friends horror, she had to tell her mom to please not talk so loud. That old man was Michael Plumb.

Even if it had been Joe Schmo, she still shouldn't have said "that old man" so loud.

Snapdragon
Dec. 11, 2007, 08:29 PM
I'm sure he knew he was an old man and probably didn't hear her anyway. Not so bad to be an old man in this sport! Lots of things worse than that.

LeftTurn
Dec. 13, 2007, 06:37 PM
I was little and swimming in a hotel pool with a bunch of really big guys. I accidentally ran into a tall blonde guy (literally), who was very polite about seeing if I was hurt. I wondered why so many people were staring at the pool and not swimming in it, but I didn't care.

Turns out the 49ers were in town to get their Superbowl rings and I had crashed into Joe Montana!

WindyIsles
Dec. 13, 2007, 06:55 PM
So my mom comes home one day (I'm in high school at the time) and says something along the lines of "I met a jockey today in line at the mall. Boy are they short (says my 5-foot-nuthin mom! :lol:)
I was interested because it was horse-related, and ask who it was.

"Chris somebody. McCannon?"

"You met Chris McCarron in line at the mall?!!??"

"Yeah, that's it. McCarron".

"Mom, he's only the jockey that rode my second-favorite racehorse EVER (Secretariat being the first of course!). He almost won the Triple Crown! (Damn that Bet Twice)."
"Uh, Oh. OK."

... Not as bad as our friend's daughter (friend owns huge amazing TB farm in Kentucky) His daughter is 14.

Daughter: Oh yeah we had a jockey come to dinner a few weeks ago.
Me: Cool. What was his name?
Daugther: Pat...Something... I think it was Day.
Me: You had Pat Day over for dinner :eek:
And then she just looks at me like I'm crazy while I have an OMG!Squee fit in front of her :lol:

TNRider
Dec. 14, 2007, 12:52 PM
Were you a HOney BEAR or a Honey CUB???? haha!
Linden is a good pal of mine! haha!
Both, actually! Honey Cub in Middle School, Honey Bear in High School. But we were fierce! My track team was state champs 4 years in a row! And I believe Linden won us the golf state championship many times. She gave up a promising future in that to do horses. How she had time/energy to excel that much in 2 sports, I have no idea!

luvmycabanaboy
Dec. 19, 2007, 07:42 PM
Yesterday I was sitting in the waiting room at a hospital in Dallas and started talking to the group sitting next to me. The conversation inevitably turned to horses and one of the ladies said she was Lendon Gray's roomie in college. Said she herself didn't ride, but she sure could muck stalls and tote water buckets like a pro! lol

cheval80
Dec. 20, 2007, 11:47 AM
I've got a good Bruce story too although it is a bit off topic! I went to florida to watch my then girlfriend at Redhills. Afterward, she took a lesson with Bruce. While there Bruce asked me if I would drive his new truck up to PA. He had no one to drive it and would pay $200 + my plane flight back. Being poor I accepted!

Turns out the Truck was a stick shift and I had never driven one. So, I got three loops around the parking lot as practice and then took off to PA. It was quite an experience! Just goes to show you how Bruce is.