PDA

View Full Version : no saddle no ridng for 2 months!!!

marta
Nov. 9, 2007, 05:57 AM
so fall is my favorite time to ride and train. my mare does better in cool weather. i love it. usually every weekend we venture out to some local park for training rides.
but yesterday i had a saddle fitting appointment and it was confirmed that my saddle doesn't fit her and she's very sore. per saddle fitter's instructions, i'm to stay off her back until my new saddle comes in which will be some time in january 2008!!!!

so we're back to ground driving and longe work. i know it's what she needs but i'm still a little sad about all the fall riding we're going to miss:(

jazzrider
Nov. 9, 2007, 08:12 AM
So sorry to hear it! But it is good that you're giving her the rest she needs to heal, and a new saddle! :yes: Any chance you can ride bareback, when she feels better - before you're new saddle comes?

marta
Nov. 9, 2007, 08:15 AM
that's what i've been doing for the last month waiting for the saddle fitter. well not exactly, i rode in a bareback pad during the week in the indoor and on the weekends i did short rides in my sister's old saddle which didn't really fit either me or the horse well but i thought short rides wouldn't kill us.

i think once we get rid of those knots in her back i may be able to ride a bit in a bareback pad but at a walk only.

i do take her out on trails while ground driving but obviously we don't go far.

i'm hoping all the work we'll do on the longe line and ground driving will help build up her topline again.

Huntertwo
Nov. 9, 2007, 09:27 PM
Eek! Thats a long time not to ride. I was also going to suggest bareback after her back feels a bit better. But, better to wait and have her feeling better.

In the mean time, could you borrow a horse to ride?

matryoshka
Nov. 10, 2007, 01:18 AM
Bummer!! Any way you can ride another horse and pony her so she doesn't lose fitness? I used to pony all my horses before starting them under saddle. I plan to pony the youngster, too, when her mama is going nice enough under saddle (long-time brood mare, not much training).

marta
Nov. 10, 2007, 07:27 AM
i've ponied horses off of her but i'm not so sure it'd work the other way around. she likes to lead! the mare i could borrow is a follower not a leader and when she's out with kip on trails, kip always leads so i don't think that would work... i'll think about it.

we will ground drive and do some long work. they always say that horses hold their condition a lot longer than we give them credit for, so hopefully we won't fall much behind.

i am looking forward to working with her on the ground. i am hopeful that with the massage therapy and this ground work her muscles will relax and her topline will develop. think that's doable in 10 weeks?

i just wrote all this 'saddle fitting' stuff down in my kip diary (i'm trying to keep notes in there consistently b/c i find that as time passes i don't recall specifics of major events w/ re to her care; stuff gets blurred, dates get blurred). it's really quite incredible that this saddle will have all these features to compensate for her conformation. the tree will be shaped more as an omega than a 'U', the panels are wide so they distribute the weight and make contact throughout, the panels in teh back will be angeled b/c her back slopes, the panels will be lined with felt so that flocking doesn't compress as fast. and you the best part? - i'll have Drings gallore!!!!! 2 on each side in the front and 2 on each side in the back. since we don't need a crouper b/c her shoulders are so prominent i wasn't going to put one in the center but i think i may ask her to do it afterall, b/c who knows where that saddle will end up down the road.

so this is exciting albeit patience testing;)

jazzrider
Nov. 10, 2007, 09:14 AM
...i just wrote all this 'saddle fitting' stuff down in my kip diary (i'm trying to keep notes in there consistently b/c i find that as time passes i don't recall specifics of major events w/ re to her care; stuff gets blurred, dates get blurred)...

Every year someone gives me a horse calendar for Christmas, and I hang it down in my feed room. I use a Barntracker/white board for general stuff. But any health related stuff about any of the five of our guys gets put on the horse calandar (e.g. Spring shots, Jazz cough, Dakota lame BL, Luke bute, etc.). I know every little thing that's happened re: their health from April 2004 to now. I also track my hay usage on it. Just an idea...:)

Bogie
Nov. 11, 2007, 08:47 PM
per saddle fitter's instructions, i'm to stay off her back until my new saddle comes in which will be some time in january 2008!!!!

It's great that you have a new saddle coming! In the meantime, why don't you consult a vet about your saddle fitter's advice. I have a great saddle fitter, but if he told me not to ride for two months, I'd take it with a grain of salt.

You might find that a vet who practices acupuncture, or a good massage therapist, can help you horse's back significantly. My saddle fitter also does massage therapy and can often help pinpoint (and relieve) muscle soreness. In which case, you can use a bareback pad and ride until your new saddle arrives.

marta
Nov. 12, 2007, 10:30 AM
she told me not to ride for 2 mos b/c i don't have a saddle that fits. i traded my old saddle in as a downpayment on the new one which will not be here for approximately 2 mos. she told me to get some massage therapy for my mare. i could probably ride her bareback a bit once the soreness dissipates but considering the lack of topline on my mare, that's probably not a great idea and might result in her tensing up her back (unless we just go for some walks).

thank you for your suggestion re vet. but while i trust my vet with respect to certain issues, saddle fitting is NOT one of them;)

Bogie
Nov. 12, 2007, 10:45 AM

thank you for your suggestion re vet. but while i trust my vet with respect to certain issues, saddle fitting is NOT one of them;)

I, too, rely on my saddle fitter for saddle fit, but as for the back soreness -- once the saddle is gone, I'd call in the vet and the massage therapist. Sometimes, just resting isn't enough; you need to address the soreness in the muscles.

There are also some good books out there that show basic massage techniques. One of my horses is a bit cold backed and I usually spend a few minutes massaging his back before I ride and it does make a difference.

I've found that a bareback pad with a good therapeutic or dense felt pad underneath, is pretty comfy for both horse and rider ;).

Cashela
Nov. 12, 2007, 02:56 PM
I can feel some of your pain. I am having saddle fit problems with my mare Cricket. I had to give her two weeks off and thankfully the massage therapist said she was ok to ride. I had to do mini massages every day.

I ordered a synthetic saddle to try, got it, took it out of the box, put it back in and returned it. So now I don't have a saddle to really ride in either. It is so frustrating.

marta
Nov. 12, 2007, 03:13 PM
you have some good saddle fitters and saddle shops in your neck of the woods. isn't trumbull mountain up your way? maybe you could just haul her to the store and try the saddles on right there on the spot.

we are longing in side reins and i am going to start ground driving her, too.

it is frustrating. yesterday afternoon i was walking my dog in the park where i also ride and the sun was shining and the air had that nice crisp fall feeling and i could see horse hoof prints on the trail and i just got so sad all over again over the thought of not being able to ride her this fall. and you know, it's not just about riding, b/c i can borrow a friend's horse. it's all about riding MY MARE. i like her, she's my buddy, i want to be out there with her, not with some other horse:(

J.R.
Nov. 18, 2007, 12:59 PM
I have been thru that and it stinks. But it will be well worth the wait when your horse is healthier and happier!

marta
Nov. 19, 2007, 09:25 AM
thanks!
we're still without the saddle but it snowed last night so i'm thinking of doing my own version of ski joring by ground driving her with my cross country skis on trails. think i'll get killed?;)

J.R.
Nov. 22, 2007, 08:58 AM
thanks!
we're still without the saddle but it snowed last night so i'm thinking of doing my own version of ski joring by ground driving her with my cross country skis on trails. think i'll get killed?;)

:eek::eek:
I have a visual!!!! And it is not good!:lol:

marta
Nov. 22, 2007, 08:38 PM
no worries! the snow didn't stick by the barn... but i'm still hopeful. in fact, i have an official ground driving lesson tomorrow p.m.

J.R.
Nov. 22, 2007, 09:03 PM
no worries! the snow didn't stick by the barn... but i'm still hopeful. in fact, i have an official ground driving lesson tomorrow p.m.

Good for you!!! That should help get you thru until the new saddle arrives!!!;)