PDA

View Full Version : RIP Wellfleet. Final thoughts, pg 15

Pages : [1] 2

frugalannie
Nov. 5, 2007, 08:27 PM
I am writing this with my heart torn to shreds.

My homebred, home backed and home trained 3 yo gelding has sustained a serious injury to his stifle in a pasture accident. He is the pinnacle of all I have ever learned about breeding for eventing, and is the result of a never-to-be repeated cross.

Will my fellow eventers please jingle for him? The alternatives are major surgery (with questionable outcome) or euthanasia. I prefer the former, but don't want to put him through unnecessary trauma. So jingle for him, if you will, so that the right decision is made for him.

I may not be able to respond to your posts. Please know I appreciate them!

deltawave
Nov. 5, 2007, 08:30 PM
Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that! It breaks the heart when all our hopes and dreams seem to teeter like this. :( Jingling like mad for your young boy, may the outcome of his treatment exceed all your expectations! You'll make the right decision, never fear. How could you possibly do otherwise, loving him as you clearly do? :sadsmile:

frugalannie
Nov. 5, 2007, 08:37 PM
Gee whiz, DW. I barely posted and you responded. There is more than one reason that you're my hero!

Seriously, thanks for the support. With all you've been going through with Gwen, I don't know how you have the extra energy. Please tell me she's doing well!

eventersmom
Nov. 5, 2007, 08:42 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your boy and the difficult decision you face. Big jingles to both of you.

Ruffian8
Nov. 5, 2007, 08:43 PM
Hi FrugalAnnie - I'm jingling for your baby and you. Good luck.

Firefox
Nov. 5, 2007, 08:44 PM
Seriously, thanks for the support. With all you've been going through with Gwen, I don't know how you have the extra energy. Please tell me she's doing well!

Jingles, Jingles, Jingles, lived though your pain, have had many homebreds that have broken my heart and it doesnt make it any easier, Prayers are with you and your baby!!

Whisper
Nov. 5, 2007, 08:47 PM
Jingling for him to recover, and for you to be comfortable with your decision if you feel that euthanasia is necessary. I feel horrible for you being faced with that situation. :(

bornfreenowexpensive
Nov. 5, 2007, 08:47 PM
sending loads of jingles...they can be such heart breakers. Hang in there.

deltawave
Nov. 5, 2007, 08:50 PM
FA, thanks to many things, not least among them the power of COTH jingles, Gwennie is doing MUCH better. Keep the faith for now, we're pulling for you both! :yes:

kml84
Nov. 5, 2007, 08:52 PM
Sending tons of jingles!!! Neither decision will be an easy one but you will make the right choice for your boy.

javma
Nov. 5, 2007, 08:53 PM
Frugalannie--Jingling like mad for you!!!

FWIW my 16 year old event mare sustained a really bad stifle injury 2 years ago...torn cartilage...hobbling lame...arthroscopic surgery at Fairfield for $$$...fast forward 2 years and she is SOUNDER THAN EVER. PM me if you want more info.

JINGLE JINGLE JINGLE...we are pulling for you!

Larbear
Nov. 5, 2007, 09:32 PM
sending loads of jingles... :(

KBG Eventer
Nov. 5, 2007, 09:34 PM
Sending many jingles.

doublete
Nov. 5, 2007, 09:37 PM
Also jingles from here...

Carol Ames
Nov. 5, 2007, 09:50 PM
prayers and jingles!:yes:

CookiePony
Nov. 5, 2007, 09:51 PM
Tons of jingles from TN!

maxxtrot
Nov. 5, 2007, 10:01 PM
i too have homebreds. jingles from florida

Debbie
Nov. 5, 2007, 10:04 PM
Tons of jingles for you and your boy.

Mary in Area 1
Nov. 5, 2007, 11:32 PM
Oh FA, please know that we are jingling here in VT like crazy for you! I am just sick about your beautiful boy. I am STILL hoping that my wonderful Petey will recover from HIS horrible pasture accident from 2005 where he was kicked and fractured his left hind sesamoid bone into 20+ little chips! He is very happy and perfectly pasture sound, but OH, wouldn't I love to ride him!

I know you have great veterinary assistance to help you with this decision. Get all the info you need and then follow your heart. I know you will do the right thing.

Let me know if we can help in any way. Hugs!

bambam
Nov. 5, 2007, 11:56 PM
jingling for you and your boy and hoping for a recovery

FLeckenAwesome
Nov. 6, 2007, 03:29 AM
i'm so sorry! how awful! i'm keeping you guys in my prayers and jingling for you both.

i've seen a few that have "defied the odds" so hopefully it will end with a happy sound horse!

keep us posted when you can.

RiverBendPol
Nov. 6, 2007, 06:43 AM
Hi FA-There's nothing I can add to my last night's missive except that we are all out here pulling for you. Good for you for posting, I wondered if you would. Your cyber friends always want to help. (real time ones do too:sadsmile:)
Tons of love and hugs.......P.

barbaraG
Nov. 6, 2007, 06:54 AM
FA,

Lots of Jingles, Hugs and kisses from me and the Wonderful Ground Pounder!! Fingers crossed too!! :yes:

BarbaraG
GWV/ norfolk

BBowen
Nov. 6, 2007, 07:09 AM
FA:

Hugs, my friend. I know how deep the love for your boy its I too have a youngster that I bred and she is my heart. Major prayers, jingles and healing thoughts for a good outcome for your boy. I can't imagine what you are going through.

CANTEREOIN
Nov. 6, 2007, 07:35 AM
Whatever you decide, may you have peace and sanity follow you... Jingles from MA.

Auburn
Nov. 6, 2007, 07:55 AM
My prayers and jingles go out for you and your boy. I, too, know the pain of having a homebred lose a career at a young age. Listen to your heart. It will not lead you down the wrong path. Auburn

Catalina
Nov. 6, 2007, 08:00 AM
Loads of good wishes from MD that your guy will be fine.

pegasusmom
Nov. 6, 2007, 09:11 AM
Many jingles from the Sandhills!!

frugalannie
Nov. 6, 2007, 09:25 AM
Waiting for the orthopedic surgeons to call my vet back, looking at a bleak and dreary day. By the end of the day, a decision will have been made.

For those who may have some interest in the clinical: he sustained an injury most often seen in horses who have jumped solid obstacles and caught their stifle. In his case, as far as we can tell, he slipped running in a soaking rain, left one hind leg trailing, and landed on his stifle. The patella is fractured into three large pieces with several loose fragments. I can't begin to imagine the soft tissue damage. Radiographs have been e-mailed to the surgical consults (thank God for digital rads!), but I find it hard to have much hope. However, as of yesterday he was bearing some weight on that leg, so we are managing his pain effectively.

That being said, if it comes to it, we won't put him down today, but will wait for the sunshine tomorrow.

Thank you all for your kind words and support. You have no idea, no idea at all how much it helps. I was re-reading the posts last night when I couldn't sleep and took great comfort from your words.

shea'smom
Nov. 6, 2007, 09:33 AM
I hope your guy does as well as mine did. He fractured the patella. We think he ran into a tree. He had just finished his first three day. He was able to go back to Novice Eventing and lots of PC for about 10 years. He was retired at 23, 14 years after surgery. He is now 25.
GOOD LUCK!

flea
Nov. 6, 2007, 09:40 AM
I am so sorry! I know the decision is weighing you down right now. We are praying for you and please be at peace when you decide. There is no right or wrong in a situation like this in my opinion, we just do the best we can.

deltawave
Nov. 6, 2007, 09:44 AM
Still jingling like mad for your boy. What's his name?

sugarvfk
Nov. 6, 2007, 09:52 AM
Lots of jingles and hugs coming your way!!!

NoGreatMischief
Nov. 6, 2007, 09:52 AM
I'm thinking about you and your special boy today! :sadsmile:

frugalannie
Nov. 6, 2007, 09:55 AM
Thanks for asking, DW. He's a W line oldenburg on his sire's side and TB on his dam's. I named him Wellfleet, barn name Wellie or sometimes Dubya. He's near black with an offcenter white star, 16.1 and growing. He has his dam's almost arab head (very pretty), her love of anything athletic, his sire's phenomenal movement and superior trainability. Weekend before last he went to his first show ever to do a walk/trot dressage test. He got a 33 (in eventer scoring), and was the best score of the dressage only group. I was so proud of him!

Shea's Mom, Mr.Frugal thinks that there has to be a surgical solution. Your post brings some hope. Thank you.

monstrpony
Nov. 6, 2007, 09:57 AM
Lots and lots of jingles. Will have you and your boy in our thoughts today, hoping for the best possible outcome.

javma
Nov. 6, 2007, 09:59 AM
UGH. My heart breaks just hearing this. Your poor boy.

Jingling, jingling like mad for you, and your boy, and praying for you to find peace with whatever path you choose. As others have said, you clearly love him and will keep his best interests at heart, no matter what the outcome. I am sure you have the very, very best veterinary care and are doing everything you can to make the right decision. The vets at Fairfield in CT are simply outstanding; if you are consulting with one of the more local ortho clinics and want a second opinion, they would be a great option (although you may be using them already).

Keeping you & your boy in my thoughts...

Hidden
Nov. 6, 2007, 10:05 AM
many more jingles for you and your baby.. you will make the right decision! Much love and support whichever way it goes.

bambam
Nov. 6, 2007, 10:10 AM
still jingling for you
I cannot imagine how awful the waiting today is and the uncertainty :(
I was a complete mess the day four years ago I was trying to decide whether to put the gelding that is my heart down and what the right thing to do was
horses can be a lot tougher than we expect and than vets expect when giving you a prognosis (vets gave me very little hope and my guy has surprised them all)

toeknee
Nov. 6, 2007, 10:11 AM
jingles and thinking of you and wellie(what a cute name!)today!!!!!!

kacey'srider
Nov. 6, 2007, 10:18 AM
Jingling and praying for you here in TX. Please keep us posted.

RiverBendPol
Nov. 6, 2007, 10:22 AM
I hope your guy does as well as mine did. He fractured the patella. We think he ran into a tree. He had just finished his first three day. He was able to go back to Novice Eventing and lots of PC for about 10 years. He was retired at 23, 14 years after surgery. He is now 25.
GOOD LUCK!
FA, Just putting this one in front of your face again.
If I am blubbering all day over Wellie, I can not imagine how you are even getting out of bed today. I'm thrilled his pain is manageable-that means you don't have to decide anything this minute.
I've been giving my boys their rainy-day beauty treatments this morning. Pulled the manes, banged the tails, Cowboy Magic all over everywhere. All I can do is think of you and your misery so I keep running in here to see if you've added anything to the boards or emails. Thanks for your continued postings and updates. We're with you. :cry:

annikak
Nov. 6, 2007, 12:01 PM
FA-

sending huge jingles your way- how terrible for you. My heart goes out to you, and hopes for a serious surgical solution. That is the best thing about homebreds/raised by you babies- they tend to tolerate things better (oh at least I hope so!)

Hugs to you...

snsmith
Nov. 6, 2007, 12:05 PM
Jingling like crazy - fingers crossed for a good surgical solution.

frugalannie
Nov. 6, 2007, 12:21 PM
Just got off the phone with my wonderful vet. Here are the options:
1. Euthanasia
2. Arthroscope the joint and remove the fragments: let the patella heal on its own.
3. Do the major surgery. Go in and fix the patella with screws, clean out the fragments.

Both numbers 2 and 3 have a 40-50% chance of return to full work. The problems could be infection post-op, and more frighteningly, laminitis, which in these particular injuries tends to happen 4 weeks or so after surgery. That is the big bogeyman.

Dear, dear Mr. Frugal said this morning that he would make the decision as I was waaaay too emotional. He has decided that we will go for the full surgery. He said, at least this way Wellie has a chance, and if laminitis strikes...well, at least we will have tried.

My vet agrees. She noted that Wellie is being very sensible, lying down at night, bearing a little weight and otherwise doing everything he can to help himself.

So, I will be leaning on you all for support. I'll update when surgery is scheduled and post-op. Meanwhile, I know I can count on all of you.

Many, many thanks.

BarnBrat
Nov. 6, 2007, 12:29 PM
I'm so sorry you and your boy are going through this. I have my own homebred, home backed, and home trained 3yo and I can't imagine what you must be going through. I'll be jingling for you!

bambam
Good Luck with the surgery FA.
I will keep jingling for you.
And maybe this will help- my gelding stood on 3 legs for 30 days without foundering or showing any sign of laminitis. He was able to lie down though and was quite sensible about doing it and the vets agree this is what made it possible for him to go on that long - since Wellie is able to lie down and rest it, he has a much better shot

subk
I just dug out the curb chain I had a jeweler put a clasp on to make a bracelet. (He thought I was strange.) It will jingle all day for you and Willie as I wear it!

Loves to ride
Nov. 6, 2007, 12:30 PM
FrugalAnnie,

BEST of luck with the surgery!!!! Sending many, many jingles from Massachusetts!

jingle.. jingle.. jingle...

javma
Nov. 6, 2007, 12:43 PM
I have been keeping my eye on this thread all day as I work, hoping for updates. Sounds like you have a sound and well thought-out plan, and we are jingling hard here in MA for a full recovery! I have a weanling homebred in addition to my mare and I echo what others have said--I cannot imagine the heartache you are experiencing, particularly when you have bred the horse yourself. Hugs to all of you!

BTW, Mr. Frugal sounds like a fabulous guy! :)

Do you have a date for the surgery yet?

bornfreenowexpensive
Nov. 6, 2007, 12:45 PM
Sending more jingles....hopefully you can manage his pain and he heals well! Just take it one day at a time.

JER
Nov. 6, 2007, 01:07 PM
Wellie sounds like a good patient which is so important in these situations.

Good luck.

Lori T
Nov. 6, 2007, 01:27 PM
Sending lots of jingles for Wellie from Florida.

RiverBendPol
Nov. 6, 2007, 01:33 PM
Oh horray for Father Frugal. Brilliant, sensible man.
Come to NE tomorrow, I'll be there all day.
Or, as I know you know, tell me where to be and when.
Oh phew. This is a good update.

Invested1
Nov. 6, 2007, 01:44 PM
Beaucoup jingles!!!!! :yes:

Gunnar
Nov. 6, 2007, 01:50 PM
I am sending giant jingles for your boy Wellie! His name is perfect as all of us hope he can get "Wellie"! (sorry for the PUN)

I will jingle for as long as need be!! Keep us posted and lean on us like crazy. Cothers have hearts of gold in these types of situation and can make one feel so much better, even in times like you are going thru. Cry on our shoulders and always ask for our thoughts and our help!!

Jingle, jingle, jingle............................................ ........

monstrpony
Nov. 6, 2007, 01:51 PM
Well, at least you have an action plan, and it has some likleyhood of a positive outcome. That is good. And give Mr. Frugal a hug from me; having a partner who will stand by you and be appropriately supportive at a time like this is priceless.

frugalannie
Nov. 6, 2007, 01:55 PM
Wellie will be going to Tufts (or is it Cummings now?) on Sunday to be prepped for surgery by Dr. Garcia on Tuesday. Mr. Frugal insists on driving down there with me. I'm starting to wonder if it's a guy thing, as Wellie is the only male horse I've even considered keeping.

We're icing the swelling, applying DMSO, using Banamine and Bute and supporting his other foot in the meantime.

So please jingle on Tuesday for successful surgery and recovery, and then for the next 4-5 weeks to keep that nasty laminitis away.

And again, thanks to all for the support.

deltawave
Nov. 6, 2007, 02:38 PM
Best of luck to Wellie! And give Mr. FA the BIGGEST hug from all the horsey wives whose husbands "get it". I'm not actually sure mine does, but I know he wouldn't ever blink if I made a decision like that. You're giving him every chance, and that's all we can do. Hang in there!

Ilex
Nov. 6, 2007, 02:52 PM
Jingle....jingle....jingle

BBowen
Nov. 6, 2007, 05:22 PM
Mr. Frugal sounds like a real sweetheart. God bless you both and Wellie. Prayers and jingles for a successful surgery and full recovery. Hugs.

Carol Ames
Nov. 6, 2007, 05:34 PM
:cry:I hope you are getting a 2and and possibly a 3rd opinion:yes:?:yes:

TKR
Nov. 6, 2007, 05:39 PM
Jingles and heartfelt prayers for Wellie (and you!) from Alabama. As all of mine are pretty much home-bred and my heart and soul, I feel your pain. Wishing you all the best and the strength to manage through this. I hope the healing angels are hovering all around Wellie throughout this surgery and post-op tx. Best of luck!
PennyG
www.krugerrandrunfarm.com

thumbsontop
Nov. 6, 2007, 05:43 PM
Jingles from VA. What a wonderful guy Mr. Frugal is! Glad he's going with you as well. This way you'll know you gave it your all. Good luck!

Carol Ames
Nov. 6, 2007, 05:46 PM
Mega jingles! so glad that Mr. Frugal is there for you and Wellie; :yes: With all the miles that you and Wellie have travelled together :winkgrin:;it seems only the right thing to do , and he is a "trier, too! " too!:yes:

asterix
Nov. 6, 2007, 06:16 PM
Best of luck with the surgery. The decision is the really hard part -- what a rock mr. fa is for seeing that. Then you just go forward, hour to hour and day to day.
We will all be pulling for you!!!

Mary in Area 1
Nov. 6, 2007, 07:18 PM
Dear FA and Mr. FA, what a hard day for you both! I knew having the information would help you make the decision--and a brave and fine one it is for dear Wellie! He's showing you he wants to try, and that's all you need to do for now.

Dr. Garcia is a wonderful surgeon, and I have great faith that he will do a fabulous job. Little Wellie will do the best to take care of himself, now YOU take care of YOURSELF too! Jingles, jingles!!!

barbaraG
Nov. 6, 2007, 07:28 PM
FA,

Thanks so much for the updates!! I'm sure you already know how the Wonderful Ground Pounder and I feel about you!!:yes:

Glad to hear of your desicion!! Now it's just a matter of time, luck and love!! :yes::yes:

Can you hear Everyone jinglling?? :yes:

Sending lots of jingles before supper!! ;)

Barbara
GWV/ norfolk

kcrubin
Nov. 6, 2007, 07:35 PM
Jingle Jingle from here in Pa

FoxChaser
Nov. 6, 2007, 07:47 PM
Not the same injury I know, but my eventer got kicked in the stifle while playing in the pasture, fracturing his tibia in two places. This was three years ago and he healed up just great, going on to event BN through training. I am jingling like mad that your boy will have a similar bright future and will do well with surgery and recovery. Keep us posted!

LLDM
Nov. 7, 2007, 07:54 AM
FA - I am so sorry I didn't see this earlier! Big, huge, honkin', hairy jingles for your boy Wellie! He has no idea how lucky he is is have you and Mr FA! He could not possibly be in better hands. If anyone can get him better, it's you and your wonderful hubby!

I know you guys are in for a long haul and I know you are more than equal to the task - but please remember to take care of yourselves! And if there is anything I can do, just say the word.

Hang in there and BIG HUGS!

SCFarm

frugalannie
Nov. 7, 2007, 09:42 AM
Norfolk and Groundpounder, LLDM, and Mary in Area 1 as well as everyone else, I really, really appreciate the support. I did sleep last night: first time in three days, so I'm just back in the house now after taking care of the boy.

Current regimen has an ice bag on the good foot, me icing the swelling on the bad stifle (Ever tried to ice a stifle? Good fun!), bute a.m., Banamine p.m., arnica in between, SMZs and, as soon as I can find it, papaya juice with pulp to help prevent ulcers.

Doesn't matter: he's worth it.

And Mr. Frugal? He's one in a million. Despite these crises, I consider myself the luckiest woman in the world to have a great life partner and great friends (including my COTH buddies!).

Debbie
Nov. 7, 2007, 10:43 AM
Still jingling away and also cheering for Mr. Frugal!

bornfreenowexpensive
Nov. 7, 2007, 11:01 AM
I had a mare with a pretty significant stifle injury...not as bad as your boy. But no way I could ice it....so I feel your pain there (but having to ice the top of their head was worse!). With my horse I was able to move her and cold hose her.

One more thing to try to help reduce the swelling might be Surpass. It is topical and you can rub it right into the area of swelling. You have to get it from your vet. It is a bit easier on their system then the bute/banamine but at this stage...I'd use it all.

I also had good luck with Sigafoo glue on shoes when dealing with trying to support the other foot....but he will need to heal enough that they can get the shoe on the other foot. I think that they also tried them on Barbaro.

Good luck! It really sounds like you are doing all that you can do. Hopefully he is a good boy and pulls through this! Jingling hard.

BelleBoyd
Nov. 7, 2007, 11:31 AM
Just saw this and your story broke my heart!! Jingling for Wellie and for you and your prince of a man. I will be thinking of you all and praying that everything goes smoothly.

ponymom49
Nov. 7, 2007, 11:47 AM
FA- oh no- jingles from Ipswich!!! I will be in touch..

ZEBE
Nov. 7, 2007, 12:45 PM
...and more jingles and positive thoughts from Frederick Maryland.

frugalannie
Nov. 7, 2007, 01:46 PM
I have to share this: Carson Beach PMed me to suggest gel packs for icing the stifle (smart one!). That reminded me that I have a leg wrap that is made of of small gel packs for icing legs (Dover bargain basement buy). It's in the freezer now, and will be used for this evening's installment of "Chill that Limb".

Saskatoonian
Nov. 7, 2007, 02:39 PM
More jingles... x 1000

Janet
Nov. 7, 2007, 02:49 PM
I also had good luck with Sigafoo glue on shoes when dealing with trying to support the other foot....
C A N ' T
h e l p
m y s e l f .

Sigafoos

Janet
Nov. 7, 2007, 02:50 PM
Lots of jingles.

Whisper
Nov. 7, 2007, 03:38 PM
I'm so glad Mr. Frugal is being so supportive, and I hope that Wellie recovers quickly and completely after his surgery!

Jazzy Lady
Nov. 7, 2007, 04:21 PM
Jingles, Jingles and more jingles. Keep yourself occupied during the surgery. When my mare had her elbow plated I brought homework to keep me entertained. It got tossed aside when i was able to view the surgery on a monitor in the room I was in. It killed me to watch them cut her open, but it was so interesting to watch and it really helped me understand what was going on in the leg. If you have the opportunity to watch, do it. I know that's odd, but it's true.

He sounds like he's being a terrific patient which will bode well for him in his surgery. Sending him happy thoughts and you lots of hugs! Mine had a 40% after hers and she returned to novice eventing a year later, 3'-6" jumpers a year later and was winning 1st level 8 months later. So think positive thoughts!!!

More jingles! Aftercare is a wonderful bonding experience.

bornfreenowexpensive
Nov. 7, 2007, 04:57 PM
C A N ' T
h e l p
m y s e l f .

Sigafoos

LOL...sorry I forgot the "s"!!! They are very good shoes though (I should have bought stock in the company!)...and it would be a very cute show name for someone's pony!

Sending more jingles!!!

fooler
Nov. 7, 2007, 05:19 PM
Sending jingles and prayers your way.

So happy you have the support of Mr. FA. My prior husband would not have understood, which is one of the reasons he is a prior.
My husband today is a love. He loves our animals and is there to do what is necessary to give them a good, healthy life or as needed a peaceful way out. There is enough drama in making the decisions without the drama of dealing with one's mate.

barbaraG
Nov. 7, 2007, 09:27 PM
FA,

More good thoughts and jingles coming your way just before I go to bed :sleepy:

BarbaraG :sleepy:
GWV/ norfolk:sleepy:

tx3dayeventer
Nov. 7, 2007, 10:23 PM
Jingles for you, Wellie and Mr. FA coming from deep in the heart of Texas. Hope the surgery goes well and the rehab goes even better.

annikak
Nov. 8, 2007, 07:56 PM
I have to share this: Carson Beach PMed me to suggest gel packs for icing the stifle (smart one!). That reminded me that I have a leg wrap that is made of of small gel packs for icing legs (Dover bargain basement buy). It's in the freezer now, and will be used for this evening's installment of "Chill that Limb".

I tell you what- Carson Beach is indeed a wonderful coth'er- super wonderful in my book! Never having met, but having been on the end of a wonderful PM which came at the right time with the right info- I shall ever be grateful!

Good Luck with everything- Cont. Jingles to you coming from MI!!!

RunForIt
Nov. 8, 2007, 08:12 PM
:D love your good boy through this, hug your husband, and we'll have your back at every minute out here in COTHland! Jingles and best hopes. :cool:

barbaraG
Nov. 8, 2007, 09:05 PM
FA,

More :sleepy: jingles I am trying to go to bed earlier these days. :sleepy:

Love from here,

BarbaraG
GWV/norfolk

Catersun
Nov. 8, 2007, 09:43 PM
*jingles*

Carol Ames
Nov. 8, 2007, 10:16 PM
You and Wellie are on the prayer list/chain at church:yes: for successful surgery and healing after and peace and comfort;)

frugalannie
Nov. 9, 2007, 08:16 AM
Carol, thank you. I do believe it will help us get through.

Wellie is bright-eyed and cheery, though a bit grumpy that he's not getting more feed. (Hay is great, but grain is better.) We put him in the stall by the front door of the barn so he gets to see everyone two- or four-legged who comes in, and can see out to the main paddock. He's still doing everything he can to help himself: lying down at night and bearing some weight on the injured leg. He even decided to try and nip me as I was icing him last night, which I figure is a good sign.

If there's a good thing about the timing: we had a hard frost the other night, so at least the nasty stable flies are gone. He'd be miserable with them attacking him.

And thanks, RunforIt, for expressing what I feel: you all have my back! Now, if we can just wake Norfolk up (that sleepyhead!). (And I share your opinion of Carson Beach, Annika.)

RiverBendPol
Nov. 10, 2007, 08:05 AM
FA-
We're all pulling for you. Are you shipping to Tufts tomorrow? BEST of luck.
Funny how bad-boy-behavior suddenly becomes a good thing when they are sick or hurt, eh? I bet you're begging him to be naughty.
Lots of love from cyberspace. Don't forget, sleep aides can be a good thing!:cool:

Carol Ames
Nov. 10, 2007, 03:00 PM
Glad to hear his spirit is coming back! :yes: It would be good for both of you if you got the TTOUCH of magic cards :winkgrin:, and learned the body work by doing it on him ; It would be a great boost for both of you; I'm glad to have the update;:yes: I know I will be asked at church tomorrow during the monthly healing prayer service, and , of course, the kids in Kidzzone :winkgrin:( childrens; ' ,ministry) will want to know also; they always ask me about the horses; you can be sure you and Wellie will be mentioned in their closing prayer :yes:tomorrow; the kidzzone energy is especially powerful so, :eek: I hope you and Wellie receive it well; if you can ever send a photo of the two you , or better still ,if you could ever visit:lol:; not easy, I know; they would be thrilled! I will find a link to the TOUCH cards / set and post it separately; continued good healing! :yes: I( am asking Merry and all our horse angels in heaven;) to add their healing energy and prayers, since they have direct contact with the Good Shepherd , and the Great Healer, all of Heaven will know :yes:, and hear our prayers .

Xctrygirl
Nov. 10, 2007, 03:41 PM
FA-

I know this is a little late but better than never..

http://stomachsoother.com/

Thats the Papaya Juice for stomachs that we used at Fair Hill and specifically when I worked for Michael Matz.

It does work, and the horses seemed to love it.

You've got as many jingles as I can muster from MD!!!!

Safe travels and be sure to hug that wonderful hubby!!

~Emily

Carol Ames
Nov. 10, 2007, 05:09 PM
I just looked at the TTEAM website but, did not see the set or any cards:no::sadsmile:; I have a call into the office in santa FE but, you might also call and tell them you want the Touch of magic for horses set, especially the cards illustrating the touches for:yes: horses; They were designed to be put in a grooming kit and taken into the stall; I hope they are still available; TTEAM & TTouch in USA
866-4-TTouch (866-488-6824)
Fax: 505-455-7233
P.O. Box 3793
Santa Fe, NM 87501

frugalannie
Nov. 10, 2007, 05:54 PM
Thank you, Carol. I will follow up.

Xctrygirl, Ponymom49 brought me a bottle of Stomach Soother. We've been dissolving his SMZs in it, and he loves it. A question: do you know if it's the papain in papaya juice that prevents the ulcers or something else?

Also, do you know my dear friend Dr. Anderson who shares a barn with M. Matz in Fair Hill?

Long drive to the vet hospital tomorrow. If he makes it through his surgery Tuesday, I promise I will get a Premium membership just so I can post a photo or two.

Ruffian8
Nov. 10, 2007, 06:06 PM
Best wishes for a successful surgery tomorrow and for a full recovery.
Dr. Garcia operated on my big baby in August. Totally different injury, but he did really well. The people at Tufts are very kind and helpful. Please keep us updated.

Tux61096
Nov. 10, 2007, 06:07 PM
Just adding more jingles for everything to go smoothly tomorrow and throughout the healing process!!!

As an aside, are you referring to Dr. Andersen who worked with Dr Simenson years ago? If so, though it has been 20 years since she worked on our runners, I still think she is one of the best vets I've ever been around.

OK, back to jingling:yes::yes:

PalominoMorgan
Nov. 10, 2007, 06:29 PM
My husband never asks why there is a curb chain hanging on the key rack. :) Jingles coming your way from our whole crew.

Xctrygirl
Nov. 10, 2007, 07:33 PM
FA-

Yep!! Know Kathy and use her clinic for Lad. She did his accupuncture. And in turn I am redoing her website here shortly!! A very neat person and great that she does both FEI events and race stuff.

She is a neat lady and they were the ones that started carrying Stomach Soother so Michael used it b/c of them. I am sorry I don't know what exactly prevents the ulcers but the stuff does work. And they have a special on right now on their website. They'll double your order for free all you have to do is pay the added shipping!!! Like order a case, they'll give you another for free!! That's a heck of a deal.

~Em

Still jingling!!!

annikak
Nov. 10, 2007, 07:42 PM
Jingles for you- and I do have some good Garcia experiences- he has met Taco (ok, 1/2 the vets on the east coast have met him!) and did a great job with a knee infection he had. No surgery, but he was there, and was super to work with.
Keep us posted!

Mary in Area 1
Nov. 10, 2007, 11:39 PM
Yes, Dr. Kathy Anderson is the same vet who worked with Dr. Simonsen and Dr. Mary Kahan at the track many years ago. I happen to think she is fantastic too! Dr. Kahan recommended her to do the PPE on my wonderful new horse, and she loved him. She did a great job. I still miss Marty, though.

Anyway, dear FA and Wellie--Have a safe trip and I hope Wellie settles in at Tufts well. It will help if he can be calm and happy, both for his physical well-being and for the mental well-being of his loving mom!

Lots of updates on Tufts and the surgery please. Jingle Jingle!

RiverBendPol
Nov. 11, 2007, 06:50 AM
Well, aren't WE all a bunch of knuckleheads-I adore Kathy too!!! She and I have been buddies for about 8 years. I don't get to see her alot tho-last time was in Sept. when she did Matty's PPE. She was Em's vet all thru UD which was a treat. We should have a Kathy Anderson Fan Club meeting:)

FA, can't think of anything but you today. Best luck for your l-o-n-g drive.

Carol Ames
Nov. 11, 2007, 10:05 AM
I'm off to church ;)"armed " printouts about you and Wellie!:yes: in about half an hour you should feel extra energy,:eek::yes: positive , and after 4:30pm eastern , healing energy

Whisper
Nov. 11, 2007, 10:14 AM
It's so cool that a lot of people here know the vet! I'll be praying for him to get through the surgery well and heal up afterward, too. Carol Ames, it's so sweet that the prayer chain at your church will add him!

Xctrygirl
Nov. 11, 2007, 10:20 AM
Just to clarify, the vet we're talking about, Kathy Anderson, is based here in Maryland. She is a friend of FA's. Dr. Garcia is the one doing the surgery I believe at the Vet hospital.

~Emily

barbaraG
Nov. 11, 2007, 10:23 AM
I just woke up. The WGP and the GWV send jingles in our jammies!

RiverBendPol
Nov. 11, 2007, 01:28 PM
I just woke up. The WGP and the GWV send jingles in our jammies!

B, You are doing lots and lots of snooooooozing these days. Are you OK?? Seems to me this sleep thing is new for you. Aren't you usually up at 5 or is that only on event mornings?!:winkgrin:

FA, my horse looks like nothing ever happened......if I hadn't watched, from the time they dropped him to when he stumbled out of recovery, I'd think they were lying to me about having actually done a surgery!! I'm hoping for the same result for The Wellmeister. xo

frugalannie
Nov. 11, 2007, 02:16 PM
Just got home from Cummings/ Tufts. Found a new way to go via a good friend that shaved driving time to 1 hr. 15 min., and Wellie traveled very well with his dam as company.

I really think he's got an eventing attitude. When we took him off the trailer, he took a look around, and once I pointed him in the right direction, marched right into the large animal hospital with the scary automatic door. Matter of fact, he was dragging me down the aisle following the admitting intern. He was scared, to be sure, but he confronted his fears and settled right in munching hay in his stall.

Wellmeister, indeed! If he comes through this, that may become his barn name. With everyone's jingles and prayers, he's got every chance of doing as well as Matty (I hope).

By the way, thanks for the update, Pol. I hope he heals in a trice, and that you'll be back riding him before you know it.

And Emily, thank you for clarifying: you are correct. Kathy Anderson is a dear friend from her days in Hamilton. She among others recommended Dr. Garcia-Lopez to do the surgery. I would comment on the small world aspect, but she has become so prominent in her field that we all should know her if we don't. In addition to being a superb vet, she is an outstanding human being in every way. I am lucky to consider her a friend.

As I am to have all of you sharing this experience with me. Tuesday will be tough: I'll be leaning on you all!

Catersun
Nov. 11, 2007, 02:36 PM
jingles

Lori T
Nov. 11, 2007, 02:39 PM
Sending jingles from Florida!

barbaraG
Nov. 11, 2007, 03:50 PM
Well, I'm gaining weight again, :( already 20 pounds over what I would like, (possibily because we are not volunteering much this Season!! ;) ) and work is Crazy with a new Boss. When we do volunteer, it can mean getting up at 4:00 A.M. :yes:

Better a sleepy jingle than no jingle at all!! :yes: Otherwise I'm fine. :yes:

And if you must know, I wasn't really in my jammies..;)..but there may be children around, or other senitive folk!! ;) and we are trying to keep a Family BB here! :yes:

Jingle Jingle
BarbaraG
GWV/ norfolk

RiverBendPol
Nov. 11, 2007, 04:31 PM
:eek::eek::eek::eek::cool::eek::eek::eek::eek:
TMI, TMI!!!!!!

LLDM
Nov. 11, 2007, 04:44 PM
So glad the trip went well! I'll be thinking of you constantly tonight and tommorrow. It ALWAYS takes FOREVER to hear anything after the surgery - so please don't be too scared if it takes way longer to hear anything than they say it will!

And, if you can - make them tell you EVERYTHING about the surgery when they call. It is so hard to get them to write anything down later - or even remember the details later as these guys are so darn busy all the time. And take notes! You will be glad you did later - although it is very hard to do at the time!

Big HUGS for you and Mr FA and huge healing vibes to Wellie!

SCFarm

kookicat
Nov. 11, 2007, 04:53 PM
Sending more jingles for you and your boy!!

barbaraG
Nov. 11, 2007, 11:22 PM
FA,

More jingles and love....prayers too! :yes:

BarbaraG
GWV/norfolk

Carol Ames
Nov. 11, 2007, 11:39 PM
When I got to church this morning;the leader of the healing prayer ministry ran over to ask me how "my horse" was doing;:yes: I explained that he is your horse, :yes: and he , and you, were added to the final prayers tonight;as expected te Kids all want to see a picture and and add it to their mural of "Gods' creation" so, any picture you want to send please do; I will have a friend print it out for me, :yes: color or black and white

RiverBendPol
Nov. 12, 2007, 07:02 AM
Carol, you continue to amaze me. Thank you so very much for sending so much strength to my friend F. Annie. I wish you could meet her, she is a remarkable human being and I count myself lucky to have her in my life.
Here's to you.

LLDM
Nov. 12, 2007, 08:27 AM
Just thinking of you this morning!

SCFarm

barbaraG
Nov. 12, 2007, 10:54 AM
FA,

thinking of you today with love and Hope. Jingle Jingle :yes:

BarbaraG
GWV/WGP

frugalannie
Nov. 12, 2007, 01:41 PM
I can't thank you enough, and Pol, you have me misty-eyed. You've been a rock for me, and it ain't over yet.

Carol, I'm trying to track down a photo of the boy! I'll know this evening.

While I was typing this, I heard from the surgical resident at the hospital. He is doing well, is down to 2 gm bute for pain management, and will be operated on at 10am tomorrow. Surgery will go on for two to three hours: arthroscopic first, then an internal fixation (screws) of the patella if it appears that is the best course. They plan to keep him an inpatient for 7 days, so he won't be home until next week, but you can expect I'll be visiting him before then!

There's a song: the waiting is the hardest part. It sure is. Glad I can share this with you all. It makes it bearable.

Judi
Nov. 12, 2007, 02:09 PM
Oh my heart just breaks over your situation. I'm sending positive healing thoughts your way... and JINGLING like mad for you and your lovely boy.

judi

shea'smom
Nov. 12, 2007, 02:51 PM
Checking in! Jingles from NC!

RiverBendPol
Nov. 12, 2007, 03:12 PM
Awww, I'm no rock. I will say I know a certain party who came home today who just happens to be trying to tear down my barn. This is day 3 post op. What will it be like on day 10 or 15 or 20??????????? Reserpine is my friend??:eek:

frugalannie
Nov. 12, 2007, 03:20 PM
Reserpine is his friend. Yours is a good bottle of wine. Apply as needed.

Kimberlee
Nov. 12, 2007, 03:29 PM
Jingles that the surgery is successful from Texas!!!!!

Fence2Fence
Nov. 12, 2007, 03:39 PM
*jingles* for da boy.

BelleBoyd
Nov. 12, 2007, 03:46 PM
Just sending you and Wellie more jingles and praying that the surgery goes super well!!!

Ghazzu
Nov. 12, 2007, 03:48 PM
FA, if you need a place to crash near Tufts, let me know.

Carol Ames
Nov. 12, 2007, 03:49 PM
When t is all over I think a special get together of thanksgiving should be planned :yes:

Gunnar
Nov. 12, 2007, 05:51 PM
Jingling for your Wellie!

Jazzy Lady
Nov. 12, 2007, 05:57 PM
Jingling and prayers for you and your boy tomorrow!!!!!!

barbaraG
Nov. 12, 2007, 09:28 PM
FA,

I'm getting ready for bed, but before that I wanted to send some Extra Special good night jingles for Wellie and you !! :yes: Hope you don't mind jingles with dirty teeth, I haven't brushed yet!! :winkgrin:

BarbaraG
GWV

Mary in Area 1
Nov. 12, 2007, 09:39 PM
I'll be thinking of you and Wellie tomorrow! Best wishes from Vermont!
Jingle, jingle, jingle!
Mary

RiverBendPol
Nov. 13, 2007, 07:55 AM
WE'RE WITH YOU ALL THE WAY TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!! GOOD, GOOD WELLIE:yes:

annikak
Nov. 13, 2007, 08:26 AM
Thinking about you both today! JINGLES!

sidepasser
Nov. 13, 2007, 09:30 AM
I do hope your boy's surgery goes well and is successful, will be thinking of y'all today!!

jingles!!!

Catalina
Nov. 13, 2007, 09:38 AM
I hope everything is smooth and uneventful. Best wishes to you all :).

bornfreenowexpensive
Nov. 13, 2007, 10:09 AM
Sending more jingles and thoughts for a full (and uneventful) recovery!!!

LLDM
Nov. 13, 2007, 10:44 AM
Ginger ale and soda crackers might help. Or wine, or whiskey. Hang in there kiddo, I know the wait is so incredibly hard. BIG HUGE HUGS for you, Mr FA and Wellie!!!

SCFarm

kcooper
Nov. 13, 2007, 11:21 AM
Good, good luck today. I am so sorry to see that this happened. Fingers crossed for you both.

Xctrygirl
Nov. 13, 2007, 12:04 PM
OK this is how COTH affects people's minds...

I am running (not kidding) around trying to get 8 things done before I have to drive to Va on my way to Camden tomorrow. In the middle of driving from 1 errand to another I see its 10:05 and I stop the car, dig through the Subaru for anything that will "jingle", which in this case meant turning off the car and ripping the keys out of the ignition!! There I am sitting on the side of the road jingling away. Thinking good thoughts for Wellie.

And so I just wanted you to know, even in all the rush, you're in my thoughts!!!

~Emily

PS: Going to Kathy's for a meeting today too. I am sure she'll jingle also.

frugalannie
Nov. 13, 2007, 12:42 PM
Emily, you cracked me up. And that's not easy to do today!

Thus far, the power of COTH is working it's magic. I am allowing myself little sips of air, if not breathing easily yet.

Both Dr. Garcia and his resident called me prior to surgery this morning. By the time they were through, I was in a complete emotional lockdown. The bottom line was that if the damage was more significant than the radiographs revealed, they would halt the procedure at about 11:30 and call me to make a decision. Well, they haven't. Sometimes, no news is very good indeed!

I hope the next update will be post-op, also with good news.

Once again, thanks for being here for me. Mr. Frugal had to go on a business trip (great timing, but someone has to make the money to pay for this!), and no one else really understands what having a horse in surgery is really like. You guys rock.

bambam
Nov. 13, 2007, 12:58 PM
still jingling for you and wellie
I was completely useless when my gelding was in surgery just staring at the phone willing it to ring to tell me how it went- I hate waiting- or more accurately not having all the information and not being in control of my horse's well-being
hang in there!

Gunnar
Nov. 13, 2007, 01:23 PM
Still here waiting on the good update! Jingling like mad and hoping you are surviving!!

Jingle, jingle, jingle...........................

annikak
Nov. 13, 2007, 01:32 PM
Giant Jingles heading you way! No call is good call....

JINGLES!

bornfreenowexpensive
Nov. 13, 2007, 01:32 PM
Sending even more jingles again. Last horse I had in for surgery (colic) a good friend (and horse person) took me shopping while he was on the table (they didn't let us watch the proceedure). It was hard to get my mind off of it but it was better then staring at the phone (although I had my cell phone in my hand the whole time..making sure I had reception)!

Hope that you report back soon with the first of many good news posts!!!

kacey'srider
Nov. 13, 2007, 01:34 PM
Prayers and jingles from down here in TX again. Patiently waiting for an update! I can't imagine what you are going through! Hang in there! :)

Whisper
Nov. 13, 2007, 01:37 PM
I hope you have an update with good news soon!

Jazzy Lady
Nov. 13, 2007, 01:40 PM
going by no news is good news! Keeping on jingling for you guys!!!!

pegasusmom
Nov. 13, 2007, 01:42 PM
Lots of jingles from NC. We were in your spot waiting out orthopedic surgery this summer. Stay busy!!

frugalannie
Nov. 13, 2007, 02:30 PM
2:15 pm, got another call from Dr. Garcia that surgery is over and went as well as could be expected. The area of the patella over the ridge of the femur has been preserved, although a large fragment had to be removed because it was so ragged.

They're going to let him sleep until about 4:30, 5pm when he'll face his next hurdle: getting up without disrupting the repair. They'll call again, and I'll post again!

I'm out to take care of my other beasties, relying on your jingles for continued good news.

fooler
Nov. 13, 2007, 02:32 PM
Good news - jingles for an easy awakening!

Gunnar
Nov. 13, 2007, 02:43 PM
Glad to hear the good news! When Bodie had knee surgery I almost died all day long waiting on that call!

I will keep jingling for Wellie!!!!!!!!!

snsmith
Nov. 13, 2007, 02:45 PM
Jingling like crazy in NC - sending all sorts of positive energy towards your boy.

thumbsontop
Nov. 13, 2007, 03:08 PM
Lots of jingles from northern Virginia! Hope it goes well!

Jazzy Lady
Nov. 13, 2007, 03:25 PM
Sending jingles that he handles the wakeup like a champ!!!

BBowen
Nov. 13, 2007, 03:26 PM
FA:

You and Wellie have been in my thoughts and prayers. Continuing jingles and healing vibes. Hugs.

Debbie
Nov. 13, 2007, 04:06 PM
All right Wellie! Wake up slow and take it easy young man. Jingling away...

LLDM
Nov. 13, 2007, 04:50 PM
So glad to hear the latest round of good news! Continued jingles that Wellie wakes up with his wits about him. Sending calm, quiet thoughts to Wellie and FA!

SCFarm

Judi
Nov. 13, 2007, 04:56 PM
JINGLE...JINGLE...JINGLE.... Blessings and prayers your way....

judi

AppJumpr08
Nov. 13, 2007, 06:09 PM
A bit late to the party here, but I'm jingling like crazy for both you and your boy!!
I hope his wake up goes smoothly and calmly...

javma
Nov. 13, 2007, 07:11 PM
Jingle, jingle, jingle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's hoping he's gotten up slowly and carefully, and you can move on to rehab without incident. :)

RiverBendPol
Nov. 13, 2007, 07:40 PM
A lot of hand wringing here.

Jazzy Lady
Nov. 13, 2007, 07:42 PM
And frequent checking of the site anxiously awaiting the wake up news.

Still jingling

Mary in Area 1
Nov. 13, 2007, 07:45 PM
Is he up yet????

Jingling!

barbaraG
Nov. 13, 2007, 09:12 PM
FA,

Jingles and hugs for you both tonight! :yes: and Mr. FA too!! :yes:

not going to bed yet. ;)

BarbaraG
norfolk/ GWV

kml84
Nov. 13, 2007, 09:26 PM
I am so glad the surgery went well:yes:
Sending lots of jingles for recovery and hoping that he got up OK!!!!:yes::)

retreadeventer
Nov. 13, 2007, 09:29 PM
Jingles for the getting up part -- very dicey that.

RunForIt
Nov. 13, 2007, 09:42 PM
Jingles, prayers, and best wishes. this is the first thread I'm checking when I hit the floor in the morning - 4:30 comes far too quick - hope you AND Wellie rest well tonight - Mr. Frugal too , of course. :cool:

tullyleague
Nov. 13, 2007, 09:56 PM
Sending many jingles from Massachusetts.

Spark
Nov. 13, 2007, 10:01 PM
Keep checking for the getting up update..... jingling all the while ((hugs))

ZEBE
Nov. 13, 2007, 10:04 PM
We're jingling in Frederick MD.

Debbie
Nov. 13, 2007, 10:14 PM
Starting to get scared from the lack of news... still jingling and sending warm thoughts to FA, Mr. FA and Wellie.

colliemom
Nov. 13, 2007, 10:20 PM
Just checking in before going to bed. Hope all is well and that a successful recovery has begun! Curb chains in hand......... (Love the idea of making an actual bracelet out of one!!)

frugalannie
Nov. 13, 2007, 11:37 PM
I held off posting because I so wanted to be able to post good news, but alas, not yet.

Wellie has still not arisen post-op. He's awake, has tried to get up a few times, and appears alert and bright. He's been drinking from a bucket and has had a mash by now. But he seems weak behind. He either can't or won't support his weight on his hind legs. They tried slinging him, but he just sags against it.

For those into details, his labs are normal, neuro exam normal, and he has deep pain response. He alternates between lying out on his side and rolling onto his sternum.

So, they've bedded him down in the recovery stall and will call me during the night if anything changes. (I'll post immediately)

If he's not up tomorrow morning, prognosis won't be good. I'll be driving down as soon as I can to evaluate.

So keep jingling my wonderful, supportive COTH friends. I couldn't do this without all of you!

Spark
Nov. 13, 2007, 11:45 PM
At least he hasnt further injured himself yet. I'm glad I stayed up to hear the update. I'll check tomorrow before school.

Mad jingling from the CTBM and I in MA :yes: Try and get some sleep.

Mary in Area 1
Nov. 13, 2007, 11:50 PM
Oh Bummer, FA! I've been sitting here waiting for you to post--just couldn't go to bed without hearing from you.

When Alibi had colic surgery, he stayed down for a LONG time too. They were getting very nervous, but then he decided to get up, and he was fine. They told me that sometimes the really smart ones just know to wait a little longer until they feel stronger and more balanced. Let's pray and jingle that Wellie is just REALLY smart and wants to be sure he can get up without undoing any of Dr. Garcia's good work.

Try to get some sleep. I'm sure you're a wreck, but it won't help Wellie to have negative vibes. Think STRONG and STEADY!

Jingle, Jingle!

frugalannie
Nov. 13, 2007, 11:55 PM
Thanks, Mary. I like that thought!

I'm toying with the idea of bringing one of his barn mates down tomorrow to see if that will inspire him.

Mainly, I just hope they call and say he's gotten up on his own.

Debbie
Nov. 14, 2007, 06:06 AM
Still jingling for Wellie and hoping he found his legs again during the night.

thumbsontop
Nov. 14, 2007, 06:28 AM
Thinking of you this morning. I'm hoping the next post you write will confirm that he's just a really big wimp and milked it a bit before getting up.

Where's my curb chain?? I'll carry it with me this morning.

frugalannie
Nov. 14, 2007, 06:35 AM
Despite all of the jingles, prayers and support, Wellie crossed the Rainbow Bridge at 6:30 this morning.

While the surgical procedure was a success, he was unable to stand despite numerous attempts on his part. With his condition deteriorating, the decision was made to end his struggles. We always knew there were major risks given his injury, and I am glad we gave him this chance. He would have kept fighting, but it was clear that his distress would only increase. In consultation with Dr. Garcia, the decision to give him the gift of a peaceful end was reached.

Thank you all for being there for me and for him throughout this. I am grateful that I had the experience of having such a wonderful creature in my life and terribly sad that his candle was lit so briefly.

Please remember Wellie by giving your horses an extra pat and treat today.

Debbie
Nov. 14, 2007, 06:38 AM
I'm so sorry. Godspeed Wellie. :cry:

BBowen
Nov. 14, 2007, 06:39 AM
FA:

My heart is just breaking for you. I am so very sorry. You did everything you could. There just are no words. You are in my thoughts and prayers. I know Wellie has some good company over the bridge.

Lori T
Nov. 14, 2007, 06:45 AM
I am so sorry to hear of Wellfleet's passing. My sincerest sympathies.

TBCollector
Nov. 14, 2007, 07:21 AM
SO not what I wanted to read this morning. I am so, so very sorry.

foxhavenfarm
Nov. 14, 2007, 07:21 AM
Oh Annie, I am so sorry. I know how hard this must be for you. We're sending hugs and will give our babies extra love today.

snsmith
Nov. 14, 2007, 07:22 AM
I am so, so sorry. You and Wellie are both in my prayers.

RiverBendPol
Nov. 14, 2007, 07:48 AM
There is nothing good to say....I tried in an email but its all just a bunch of words. I am devastated for you.

Milocalwinnings
Nov. 14, 2007, 07:51 AM
Oh wow....I have been keeping up with this thread hoping for good news. I am so sorry:(

FlightCheck
Nov. 14, 2007, 07:52 AM
So very sorry for your loss

Bogie
Nov. 14, 2007, 07:55 AM
I am so sorry for your loss :cry:.

BigRuss1996
Nov. 14, 2007, 07:59 AM
Oh no!...so sorry to hear this.... at least you know you did everything for him you could. I am so sorry for your loss...

Platinum Equestrian
Nov. 14, 2007, 08:01 AM
Hugs...

ChocoMare
Nov. 14, 2007, 08:07 AM
:cry:

Many, big, loving ((((((((((((((((((((((((( Hugs ))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

:(

Janet
Nov. 14, 2007, 08:12 AM
Oh NO!

I am so sorry.

Eventually you should be able to take solace in knowing you did the best you could for him.

Bearx2
Nov. 14, 2007, 08:15 AM
I am so sorry.

LLDM
Nov. 14, 2007, 08:17 AM
There are just no words that will do. My heart is breaking for you. He was a very, very lucky boy to have lived his whole life so loved. I hope that will be of some comfort for you. That, and that you left no stone unturned to help him. The worst thing our horses ever do is leave us. Part of you will go with him, but part of him will stay with you. There are worse things than having a special young horse living in your heart. :sadsmile:

Wish I could hug you in person.

SCFarm

Catalina
Nov. 14, 2007, 08:24 AM
:( :( :( :(

I am so sorry FA, my thoughts are with you during this difficult time :(.

FairWeather
Nov. 14, 2007, 08:33 AM
I'm so sorry for your loss.

Catalina
Nov. 14, 2007, 08:37 AM
:( :( :( :(

I am so sorry FA, my thoughts are with you during this difficult time :(.

pegasusmom
Nov. 14, 2007, 08:39 AM
God speed Wellfleet.

IFG
Nov. 14, 2007, 08:46 AM
So sorry.

Jazzy Lady
Nov. 14, 2007, 08:47 AM
I'm so sorry for your loss. He was so lucky to have an owner like you. Major HUGS

kcooper
Nov. 14, 2007, 08:48 AM
I am so, so sorry Annie. You did everything you could for him, including taking away his pain so that he would not suffer any more. I hope you are coping as best you can. kc

AllyCat
Nov. 14, 2007, 08:50 AM
I'm so sorry! He knows you tried everything for him. Hugs to you.

asterix
Nov. 14, 2007, 08:52 AM
thank you for sharing his short, loved time with us. We are all mourning for you today.

Saskatoonian
Nov. 14, 2007, 08:53 AM
Sorry, sorry, sorry... take care of yourself. :(

grayarabpony
Nov. 14, 2007, 08:53 AM
Oh no, I am so sorry to hear this. Just try to take comfort that you gave him the best life he could have while he was with you.

RAyers
Nov. 14, 2007, 08:54 AM
I am so sorry. My thoughts and prayers are going out to you and Wellie.

Reed

SparklePlenty
Nov. 14, 2007, 08:59 AM
You did everything you could for your boy, he knows he was loved and cared for by the best people. My thoughts and prayers are with you during this period of time.

Godspeed to your boy... {{{{Hugs}}}}

Instant Karma
I am so very sorry for this devastating loss. May he rest in peace.:(

monstrpony
I am so, so sorry. Don't know what else to say, but you and Wellie will be in my thoughts today. Hugs to you and Mr. FA.

Long Shadow Farm
Nov. 14, 2007, 09:01 AM
{{{{{{{{{{{Annie and Mr. FA}}}}}}}}}}}}}

It's so tough to lose a young one. I have been there before with one I bred and raised and lost as a 2yo and there is nothing easy about it. Remember the good times and think about the ones left at home.

Bobbi

bambam
Nov. 14, 2007, 09:04 AM
I am soooooo sorry to hear this. Hugs to you and Mr FA.
Wellie could not have asked for a better owner than you.

eks
Nov. 14, 2007, 09:06 AM
I am so sorry for the loss of your boy.

We all wish there was something we could say or do to help ease your pain...please know that we are thinking of you....

thumbsontop
Nov. 14, 2007, 09:17 AM
So sorry to hear. Just know that he's galloping away with new friends this morning feeling good as new.

maxxtrot
Nov. 14, 2007, 09:17 AM
FA- i am so sorry.as someone that breds and rasies their own homebreds, i totally understand. just remember, you did everything you could to give him a fighting chance. sorry his candle was only lit for a couple of years. but remember the good times and know he knew you loved and adored him!

kacey'srider
Nov. 14, 2007, 09:20 AM
Praying that the ache in your heart will not last long. I promise to give my horses extra hugs and kisses today in Wellie's honor.

Lamma70
Nov. 14, 2007, 09:23 AM
Annie,
I was so sorry to hear of your loss. I have been following Wellie's story over the past few days from behind the scenes, and it brought tears to my eyes to hear that he has passed. It sounds like you did everything you could, and loved him very much. I am sure he is now romping around with his friends over the bridge.

NoGreatMischief
Nov. 14, 2007, 09:25 AM
I am so sorry for your loss. :(

cyriz's mom
Nov. 14, 2007, 09:28 AM
I am sorry! It's always hard to lose one, but when it's one you've bred it's exponential. I hope you eventually find peace in knowing that you did everything you could for him.

Hugs to you all.

TB4Dressage
Nov. 14, 2007, 09:34 AM
So sorry. :( No words, just lots of hugs...
<sigh>

curlykarot
Nov. 14, 2007, 09:35 AM
I am so sorry for your loss. My thoughts are with you.

canyonoak
Nov. 14, 2007, 09:53 AM
ahhhhhhhh, there are no words.

so sorry, FA and Mr. FA.

It is no consolation that Wellie knew love his whole life, and that you were there for him at the end as at the beginning, ready and willing and able to give him what he needs.

so very sorry.

bornfreenowexpensive
Nov. 14, 2007, 09:59 AM
I'm sooo sorry. Still sending some jingles to help you and your family with this loss.

deltawave
Nov. 14, 2007, 10:22 AM
Oh noooo, I am so sorry, FA. Godspeed, good horse. I will be thinking about you today with comforting thoughts. :(

ellebeaux
Nov. 14, 2007, 10:27 AM
I'm so sorry for your loss.

Ilex
Nov. 14, 2007, 10:31 AM
So very sorry.

Whisper
Nov. 14, 2007, 10:33 AM
Oh, no! That must be heartbreaking, especially since the surgery itself seemed to go so well. Not to second-guess them for this time, but would it be feasible to use some sort of sling to help horses stand when coming out of the anaesthetic? It sounds like when they're so weak and probably hurting that it could help get them up before they injure or wear themselves out. :(

kashmere
Nov. 14, 2007, 10:35 AM
you've heard it a million times and you'll hear it a million more: i'm so, so sorry.

SmallHerd
Nov. 14, 2007, 10:39 AM
And here's a million and one - I am so sorry for your loss.

colliemom
Nov. 14, 2007, 10:46 AM
Ditto... :no:

Mary in Area 1
Nov. 14, 2007, 10:48 AM
I've been sitting here crying all morning. I don't know why this one has upset me so much, FA. Maybe because I met him briefly this summer, maybe because I have had my own beloved homebred. I don't know. I am just devastated, but I know that doesn't do you a damn bit of good.

I'm also angry--angry at the world for taking the good ones, angry for getting our hopes up, angry at the unfairness of it all. The surgery went well. So unfair. Was there nerve damage, or do they know why he couldn't get up or support himself? I just hate things I don't understand.

I guess I can't be any solace to you today. Maybe there is some comfort just knowing that I share your pain, frustration, sadness and loss. Hugs.

Centuree
Nov. 14, 2007, 10:58 AM
So sorry FA - I was rooting for you guys and I hate when it ends this way. So, so sorry for your loss.

kcrubin
Nov. 14, 2007, 10:59 AM
I am so sorry!!

Ishi
Nov. 14, 2007, 11:01 AM
I am so very sorry FA.

Jazzy Lady
Nov. 14, 2007, 11:03 AM
Oh, no! That must be heartbreaking, especially since the surgery itself seemed to go so well. Not to second-guess them for this time, but would it be feasible to use some sort of sling to help horses stand when coming out of the anaesthetic? It sounds like when they're so weak and probably hurting that it could help get them up before they injure or wear themselves out. :(

Not to go off topic, but some places (Like Guelph in Ontario) use tilt tables. The horses are strapped on and as the anaesthetic wears off the table is tilted and they are placed on their feet and the straps removed. This is a better way to do it in terms of making sure what is done in the surgery is not disturbed, but it is also very dangerous as the horses sometimes struggle when they are waking up and finding themselves restrained. If that happens, they have to quickly be put back under and transported to the recovery where they get up themselves. It is scary. This is how my girl woke up from her elbow surgery, and it was a stressful time. Horses can do more damage to other legs if they freak out too much, so really, it's one way or another. Either way, it's tricky business for them to get up out of a surgery involving a limb and unfortunately, it can go the wrong way with either. IE, a GP jumper at the Royal broke a shoulder bone, and broke the other leg on the tilt table waking up and had to be euthenized regardless. Sorry for the long post.

Again, major hugs and jingles on the loss of your beautiful boy.

RiverBendPol
Nov. 14, 2007, 11:05 AM
Our little COTH family is so important. Days like this point that out. You guys have been of enormous help and support to my dear friend FA. She lives her life devoted to her horses. Nothing comes between her and their well being. As she says, she's a bit of a nut, but aren't we all.
If any of you would care to, I know Annie would be overwhelmed with gratitude if donations were made to her favorite charity, CANTER New England. Wellie's dam is an OTTB, as are almost all of her other horses.
The web site's donation page for CANTER NE is:
http://www.canterusa.org/newengland/donations.htm

The home page is: http://www.canterusa.org/newengland/

THE HORSE'S PRAYER

Feed me, water, and care

for me and, when the day's work is done, provide me with a clean shelter,

a clean dry bed, and a stall wide enough for me to lie down in

comfort. Be always gentle to me, and talk to me, your voice often

means more to me than the reins. Pat me sometimes, that I may

serve you the more gladly and learn to love thee. Do not jerk the

reins. Do not whip me when going uphill.

Never strike, beat or kick me when I do not understand

what you mean, but give me a chance to understand you.

Watch me, and if I fail to do your bidding, see if something is

wrong with my harness or my feet. Keep me well shod. Examine

my teeth when I do not eat. Do not tie my head in an

unnatural position, or take away my best defense against flies

and mosquitoes by cutting my tail. I cannot tell you when I

am thirsty, so give me clean, cool water often. Save me, by all

means in your power, from disease. I cannot tell you in words

when I am sick, so watch me that by signs you may know my

condition. Give me all possible shelter from the hot sun, and

put a blanket on me when I am standing in the cold. Never put

a frosty bit in my mouth; first warm it by holding it a moment

in your hands. I try to carry you without a murmur, and

wait patiently for you long hours. Remember that I must be ready

at any moment to lose my life in your service. And finally,

when my useful strength is gone, do not turn me

out to starve or freeze, or sell me to some cruel

owner, to be slowly tortured and starved to death, but do

thou, take my life in the kindest way, and your God

will reward you here and thereafter. You will not consider

me irreverent if I ask this in the name of Him who was

Born in a stable.

tx3dayeventer
Nov. 14, 2007, 11:26 AM
I am so sorry for your loss :( Atleast you did everything you possibly could, there will be no regrets.

I am positive Wellie is in great company up there. My Windfoal yearling is probably harrassing him as I type this.

Hilary
Nov. 14, 2007, 11:30 AM
I am so very sorry that he wasn't able to recover from this. You did all that you could.

Invested1
Nov. 14, 2007, 11:33 AM
So, so sorry for your loss....

Groom&Taxi
Nov. 14, 2007, 11:37 AM
So very sorry for your loss and only imagining the stress and anxiety you have experienced as this unfolded. I hope that at some point there is some comfort in knowing that you did the very best you could for your horse.

G&T

fooler
Nov. 14, 2007, 11:50 AM
So Sorry for you and Mr FA.

Barnfairy
Nov. 14, 2007, 11:53 AM
I am so very very sorry for your loss.

It seems so unfair, the randomness of life so cruel. Maybe, maybe someday after time has lessened the rawness of the pain --a pain many of us share with you in knowing all too well-- perhaps dear Wellie's passing will allow a door to open that otherwise would have remained shut, and in so doing provide some sense of meaning to the whole thing.

For now while the hurting feels too much to bear, Manny would gladly lend you his warm broad shoulders for crying into.

Our thoughts are with you.

hey101
Nov. 14, 2007, 11:54 AM
I am so sorry to hear of your loss. :(

Freebird!
Nov. 14, 2007, 11:55 AM
Hugs to you Annie - I am so, so sorry. :(

shea'smom
Nov. 14, 2007, 12:01 PM
I was away yesterday and I came on here to check and saw the sad title.
I am so sorry. Bless you for giving him every chance.